General Discussion Triathlon Talk » advice for time based ultra Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-12 9:47 AM

naperville, Illinois
Subject: advice for time based ultra
I will be doing my first ultra in January. It is time based - how many laps can you do in six hours. Any advice in how best to approach this? (i have been running 50+ miles a week to prep and hold a 8:30 pace doing a 15 miler). thanks in advance for the advice.

2014-12-14 11:16 AM
in reply to: Raansnel

User image

Subject: RE: advice for time based ultra
I have never ran a time based ultra. My only ultra was a 50k trail run, but I was on that trail for 7:42 or so. It looks like we have about the same cruising speed, and your weekly mileage is a bit better than mine. Based on that.

What I would want to do. Go out at a 9 m/m pace and hold steady.

What I would really do. Blast out at a 7:15, hold that for an hour then slow down each lap until I am too exhausted to do anything but walk

In other words I don't have any advice, but good luck!
2014-12-14 8:00 PM
in reply to: Raansnel

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

How long is the loop?  Most timed events do not count partial laps so you need to start doing some math in the latter stages of the event.  You may need to alter your pace in order to maximize the number of full laps.

As in any ultra, nutrition and hydration are critical.  Also, keep moving.  Walk if you need to in order to keep moving.  Stay comfortable as long into the event as possible.

2014-12-18 1:54 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Wearing a watch and record the lap times. This way you can see how long your last lap took you and weather or not your will be able to finish the last lap.

Another key is try pace yourself so you can use all the time. Keep moving forward.

Another thing to keep in mine is all the time ones I have done so far have spots where you can set up your own pit stop. A lot of people I know would bring a small table for anything they might need.

Something I just thought of it might not be bad to train by time rather than distance unless you do a marathon/50k for your longest run(s). If your training on your own might not be bad to do 4 hours for a long run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » advice for time based ultra Rss Feed