www.gotrshr.org
32F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 40m 36s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drink hot chocolate (because coffee is yucky) and eat a breakfast sandwich on the drive to Norfolk....Luck out on finding the parking garage closest to the race is not charging for some reason...Round up bibs and girls.
Event warmup:

Help girls pin on bibs and teach them to wobble. Wobbling is a GOOD warmup on a very cold morning.
Run
  • 40m 36s
  • 5 kms
  • 08m 07s  min/km
Comments:

Just took it easy, dodged around a LOT of walkers, and stopped at several points to find my girls and cheer them on. They all wore elf hats so they were easy to pick out. It was VERRRYYY cold this morning but about halfway in I dumped my gloves, headband, and one of my shirts. My true time without the breaks was probably 32 minutes, which is GREAT considering how my asthma has been lately.
What would you do differently?:

Not have asthma?
Post race
Warm down:

Double back to where I saw a fellow coach and cheered the last of our girls across the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

There were some serious bottlenecks starting all the way in the back, and getting around alllll the walkers. I also stopped several times to make sure to get pictures of girls from our team and encourage them - I will gladly give those 8 minutes up every time!

Event comments:

This is billed as an end of season celebration. GOTR is very careful to not use the word race. Speed isn't the goal. Beating someone isn't the goal. Finishing the race and having learned something about yourself and made some friends in the process is the goal. It is a great organization and I hope to continue volunteering with them in San Antonio as well. Out of our team of 15 I had only one girl that did not say she had fun...and that was not our girl that was minutes away from getting swept off the course! Monday we will have a party and give out awards, and I am going to miss those little jerks!!!

Last updated: 2014-12-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:36 | 05 kms | 08m 07s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-12-13 7:02 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: Girls on the Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Girls on the Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Girls on the Run 5K

Started by pjquirk
Views: 648 Posts: 1

2012-08-19 8:59 AM pjquirk

Aflac Iron Girl 10K and 5K run/walk

Started by af_wife2004
Views: 910 Posts: 1

2008-04-05 7:56 PM af_wife2004

Run Like a Girl

Started by amandaryan98
Views: 707 Posts: 1

2007-09-03 9:37 PM amandaryan98

Run Like a Girl 8K Trail Run

Started by NightOwl
Views: 1143 Posts: 1

2007-07-15 11:06 PM NightOwl

Girls on the Run

Started by ohiee
Views: 817 Posts: 1

2007-05-19 8:41 PM ohiee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 1
Have a goal when you get into the water. If your purpose is distance, then set your pace for endurance. If your objective is speed, then incorporate drills.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 0
My first reaction to wearing a skirt while running was, “are you crazy?” I am no girly girl. I then tried one of the newest skirts from Nicole DeBoom’s TRIKS line and I can tell you I’m hooked.