Gulf Winds Track Club
34F / 1C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 54m 44s
Overall Rank = ??/60
Age Group = W-GrandMaster
Age Group Rank = 1/??
Pre-race routine:

This race is only a 30 minute drive from my house. Arrived about 30 min early and took my gear to just past start/finish line. Met with my friends, visited the restroom, and heard the pre-race briefing. It was a little somber because this is the last time for the awesome RDs and, at the time, we thought it was the last time at Wakulla Springs.
Event warmup:

none
Run
  • 5h 54m 44s
  • 50 kms
  • 07m 05s  min/km
Comments:

50 milers and 50K are on the same course. The 10K course makes it easy for even the most brain-dead runner to know how many loops (50 milers start slightly back so they have 8 loops.) Local runners are invited to come out, pay $5 for access to the course and aid stations, and to run their own miles or pace their friends. This steady stream of new people is great.

We started out at 34 degrees and ended at 64. Thank God, I didn't have more loops because I was tossing clothes every time and I would have been naked if I was doing 8 loops. I wasn't as prepped as I wished but wanted to be here because it would be the last time. I hoped for a 7 hour finish but was willing to take whatever I could get.

First loop, I met a wonderful guy who is doing the 48-hour in Pensacola where I will crew. We chatted the first loop the whole time. Time was 1:05 and I was very pleasantly surprised. Grabbed a little food and tossed the jacket. Loop 2 met a guy who truly looked half his age. We ran together most of the loop. Time was 2:15 when I finished which was great. Tossed long sleeve shirt.

Loop 3, I broke down. My jaw has been hurting this week terribly (I think sinus related) and now my hips are getting tight. I took some advil. Found myself walking a lot. At the first aid station, I got my mojo back and started running again. Finished that loop with time of 3:32 which wasn't nearly as bad as I would have thought; I made up some time on the second portion because the first portion was slow. Grabbed my shorts and quickly changed. Also, I had forgotten my running hat but had a baseball cap so I donned it.

Loop 4 and 5, I just ran. (When I finished loop 4, I got to watch my firiend win the women's 50K. That girl can run!) Was afraid to stop running because wasn't sure if I would seize up. At the aid stations, I would grab some water/food, walk around the cone, finish the drink, and toss the cup in the trash, and then begin running again. I confess that one thing that kept me going was trying to beat one person who had made a thoughtless and arrogant comment to a friend that morning. Mean of me but that's the kind of person I am.

Realized in loop 4 that I would PR if I didn't self-destruct. Crossed the line with a 25 min PR. Was given my medal and then they handed me a beautiful hand painted bowl. I looked at them in puzzlement and found I got Female Grandmaster. Was convinced that was a mistake. (Later found that it was a fluke since a grandmaster finished before me but she was the first master so they gave her Master award.)
What would you do differently?:

Wished my training had gone better but I wouldn't do anything different. I love this race.
Post race
Warm down:

I should have stretched. I should have gotten a massage. But no, all I did afterwards was run my mouth. This is my running club and I wanted to enjoy it. Offered to go man an aid station but they had enough volunteers. Ate a little, drank a lot of Gatorade, and caught up on some other people's plans. Then I got to man the S/F line to record times for 50 milers and some 50K people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Didn't bounce back as quickly from Nov marathon. Also was a weenie about training in the cold. Finally, I've been lax on my core lately and I need to start back; core work doesn't necessarily make me faster but it makes me stronger.

Event comments:

This is a small race but very, very friendly. Everyone on the course encourages everyone and they don't care if someone is the fastest or the slowest. One of our volunteers saw a 67 y.o. man in the 50 mile race and realized he needed encouragement. So the volunteer very happily paced the man for his last lap; he was in awe of the 67 y.o. setting a record for being the oldest person to complete the 50 miles.

The next day, we were very happy to find that this race may return to the same course next year!!! It's not official yet but fingers are crossed.

Last updated: 2014-10-29 12:00 AM
Running
05:54:44 | 50 kms | 07m 05s  min/km
Age Group: 1/??
Overall: 0/60
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, paved 10K T-shaped course with S/F line at bottom of the T. Large aid station at S/F, another at left portion of T, and a small one at other portion of T.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-12-15 5:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: Tallahassee Ultra

2014-12-26 8:37 AM
in reply to: #5074819

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Tallahassee Ultra
Congrats Pam on winning the Grandmaster award and setting a PR in the process. Very impressive to have run the marathon recently and come back and finish the 50K the way you did. Great job and congrats again.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tallahassee Ultra Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tallahassee Ultra Distance

Started by Pink Socks
Views: 1860 Posts: 6

2013-01-28 10:23 AM ligersandtions

Tallahassee Half Marathon

Started by tbcoffee
Views: 967 Posts: 1

2012-02-18 11:40 PM tbcoffee

Tallahassee Half Marathon

Started by nrhodesent
Views: 1062 Posts: 1

2011-02-07 12:07 PM nrhodesent

Springtime Tallahassee

Started by nrhodesent
Views: 918 Posts: 1

2010-03-29 12:17 PM nrhodesent

Springtime Tallahassee

Started by fsujen28
Views: 1253 Posts: 1

2009-03-29 5:12 PM fsujen28
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Performance starts with fueling, not training! This article provides nutrition tips for ultra-endurance athletes as well as ordinary exercisers who want ultra-energy.