General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Popcorn and a tri... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-16 7:29 AM

User image

Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Subject: Popcorn and a tri...
I'm new.

So I'm just getting into this triathlon thing (is that the BT equivalent to "it was a dark, stormy night"?) and I am pretty excited. I've got the gear. I think I've got the motivation. But I've never done anything like this and I have to admit the spectacle of it all is a bit intimidating. I'm thinking (hoping) that maybe I'll be able to enter the Over the Mountain in Kings Mountain (where I live) in late May as perhaps my first triathlon.

But I'd sort of like to go visit some triathlon events in the area (North or South Carolina) and play spectator and watch what happens at the start and the transitions. Yeah, I'll read up on all that, but I'd really like to see what it is like (I hope it doesn't scare me). Any suggestions on early season events that would be fun to visit and take my wife and kid to?

Thanks and hope to be posting here regularly...

BeachAV8R

Edited by BeachAV8R 2014-12-16 7:29 AM

2014-12-16 8:14 AM
in reply to: BeachAV8R

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Popcorn and a tri...
I would choose something close unless you really want to make it a vacation.

White Lake, NC might be a good place to start.

But, I completely understand where you are coming from with the start of a triathlon. I didn't know anything about how they started and that concerned me quite a bit. I'll give you a brief run down about how the races that I have been in have started. All of mine have been set-up events.

Each racer is placed into a category
Open (M & F)
Masters Open (M & F)
Age Groups (M & F):15 & Under,16-19,20-24,25-29,30-34,35-39,40-44,45-49,50-54,55-59,60-64,65-69, 70-74,75-79,80-84, 85+
Clydesdales (Males - 220 Lbs +)
Masters Clydesdales (Males - 220 Lbs +, 40 & Over)
Athenas (Females - 165 Lbs +)
Novice (M & F)
Masters Novice (M & F)
Relay Team (Mixed)

Generally, the Open athletes start first say 7:00 a.m. then 5 min later the next 'wave' goes. This could be men 30-39 or men 20-29. But the wave order is usually posted right before the race. So, the first wave could start at 7:00 and the last wave starts at 7:45. On a side note, I have always been in the second group with is Men's Age Group 30-34. (a fast group)

So realistically you are really only swimming with the people that are in your wave. It isn't like you have to swim with all 300 people in the race.

Look up Set-up events and see what race is close to you or somewhere you'd like to visit.

2014-12-17 12:09 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Expert
Apex, NC

Welcome!  OTM isn't for the faint of heart.  That bike course has some big climbs on it.  That was my first olympic distance event, many moons ago.  If you're comfortable on the bike, go for it, but take a look at FSSeries.com and setupevents.com for some other alternatives.  An olympic as a first event is a pretty big undertaking, especially one with 2 different transition areas.

Anyway, welcome, and have fun!

2014-12-20 12:47 AM
in reply to: fgump

User image

Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Thanks for the info guys..

Re: The Over the Mountain - the *one* good thing is that I can ride the course right from my front door (well, almost, it's only about 3 or 4 miles away). So if I can work up to maybe riding that portion and feel that I could do it, maybe I could take a crack at it. But based on my performance this first week - I find the concept of participating in a triathlon laughably out of reach. I know that only has to do with my current fitness level, so I know that perception will change over the months as I drop pounds and add strength and endurance, but wow...

BeachAV8R
2014-12-20 12:17 PM
in reply to: BeachAV8R

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Originally posted by BeachAV8R

Thanks for the info guys..

Re: The Over the Mountain - the *one* good thing is that I can ride the course right from my front door (well, almost, it's only about 3 or 4 miles away). So if I can work up to maybe riding that portion and feel that I could do it, maybe I could take a crack at it. But based on my performance this first week - I find the concept of participating in a triathlon laughably out of reach. I know that only has to do with my current fitness level, so I know that perception will change over the months as I drop pounds and add strength and endurance, but wow...

BeachAV8R

In general, I'd say this race is not a good first tri! It is a difficult bike course, and setting up two T areas is stressful. However, if you live right there, that takes away some of the stress, and also you have the opportunity to ride the course. The other nice thing is that I Don't think this race sells out, so you could just train for it as a reach goal, and sign up late in the game if you feel your fitness is where it needs to be for the bike. And if you have to do a run/walk, then no biggie.

IT is a fantastic race course, to be sure!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Popcorn and a tri... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fayetteville Area Tri-Warriors - New Tri Club!

Started by maria40nc
Views: 5389 Posts: 12

2010-04-28 2:01 PM maria40nc

Rambling Rose Women's Tri

Started by jamberrytoast
Views: 3379 Posts: 6

2007-06-25 8:08 AM excited2tri

Triangle Tri...

Started by Tri'nNC
Views: 1047 Posts: 14

2006-07-09 8:53 PM watsonrm

Who's doing the Lake Norman tri

Started by ealystuff
Views: 947 Posts: 5

2006-08-25 9:05 AM tzmitch

lake Kristi Tri

Started by spot
Views: 893 Posts: 1

2006-06-01 6:29 AM spot
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.