BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-01-20 3:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--OPEN!
Hi Dave

I can relate to your challenge in finding time and energy to train while travelling as I used to travel a lot for work too. A hectic schedule and constantly moving through different time zones is not a good combination. Often the first thing you want (need?) to do is crash into bed..

Here's a couple of suggestions that worked for me:

* Pack a Elastic power band that is used for resistance training and have a work out in your room.
* Running Gear takes up very little room in the bag. Ask the locals for a good / safe route.
* Look for accommodation with a pool & a gym
* Stretching Routine that can be performed in your room
* I'm a big fan of the 5BX Program developed by the Canadian Air Force years ago. It is a series of exercises that take 11 minutes a day and can be done anywhere.

These activities alone won't prepare you for a tri but they will help in getting your body ready and keep you from going backwards while you're away.

Edited by AussieTurtle 2015-01-20 11:39 PM

2015-01-20 3:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Weightloss/Workout Challenge

Hey everyone,

Here are the weight loss/workout challenge standings as of a couple minutes ago.  This is all that has posted.  If you wish to participate you can still post your results from last week and I will update the standings.

Good job Scott I.  Great workout numbers last week!  And Dan!  You are apparently serious about this weight loss thing!

Edited by k9car363 2015-01-20 3:15 PM

(0118_weightloss_workout_rank.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0118_weightloss_workout_rank.jpg (60KB - 3 downloads)
2015-01-20 8:41 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Originally posted by AussieTurtle

I can relate to your challenge in finding time and energy to train while travelling as I used to travel a lot for work too. A hectic schedule and constantly moving through different time zones is not a good combination. Often the first thing you want (need?) to do is crash into bed..

Dave and Rod,

I've had good success dropping in on workouts at a local Masters swimming teams. The cost is usually $5 to $10 dollars, but one was free. You get a coached workout, they are usually early enough that they don't interfere with business meetings, and most of them have been quite fun!

Scott I.
2015-01-20 9:56 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Hi Everyone,

Just checking in and learning from all the posts. Got back late last night from a weekend at my buddy's house in Houston. She took me on a culinary tour (gained 5 lbs. guess I should have joined the weight loss challenge)...And of course I didn't complete all my workouts as planned. But did manage to run Saturday (6 miles) and Sunday (10 miles).

I gotta get consistent again. Between working 10 hours/day, travel, and social commitments I am struggling with fitting everything in.

Donna
2015-01-20 10:40 PM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I had a cycling class this evening and so far this evening I've fallen asleep twice while typing.  The class started out as a typical workout with things like single leg drills and low cadence spinning and then we started a build (2min Zn 2, 2min Zn 3 etc) and then the coach sprung a 20 minute TT.

This is supposed to be a recovery week for me but the music was fast and loud and that usually gets me going plus you just have to go all out for a TT right!  I gave it everything I had.  At about 10 or 11 minutes I was pushing zone 4 and I decided I should go a gear harder but I hit the levers wrong and dropped 3 or 4 gears before I realized I had gone the wrong way.  So I had to push even harder and quickly got back to the harder gear I had intended to push.  During the last 5 minutes I couldn't see for the sweat in my eyes and I maintained a solid Zn 4 effort.  As usual, being the sicky that I seem to be, I felt really good...when it was all over.

So my pace wasn't really very impressive for a final result (I averaged 29.4kph/18.27mph) but I was really pleased that I finished as strong as I did.

Dangerus - Hope your Mum is okay.  It is tough doing all the traveling you have to do.  Just to give you a good training idea here is a video on training for open water swims.  It is only 31 seconds long:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk   I laugh everytime I watch it.  Honestly though I've never had any swim as bad as that.

Don't be intimidated by what other people do just keep at it and keep it enjoyable.  It gets a lot easier when you're retired so you have something to look forward to.

2015-01-20 11:45 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Just to give you a good training idea here is a video on training for open water swims.  It is only 31 seconds long:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk   I laugh everytime I watch it.  Honestly though I've never had any swim as bad as that.

Don't be intimidated by what other people do just keep at it and keep it enjoyable.  It gets a lot easier when you're retired so you have something to look forward to.

I've seen this one before. Makes me laugh every time!

Steve

2015-01-21 7:12 AM
in reply to: #5075155

User image

Sai Kung,
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED
Hi George,

Awesome video! ????
I'm sure there's the odd day my wife would volunteer to help me train that way. ??
2015-01-21 7:28 AM
in reply to: #5085597

User image

Sai Kung,
Hey George & Jo / Everyone,

I make these "energy Balls" for runs.
They're super quick and easy, taste great and are full of low GI energy.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/healthy-banana-cookies/detail.aspx

Cheers,

Dave B.
2015-01-21 7:40 AM
in reply to: Dangerus

User image

GEORGE - That video is just too funny and made my day. Thanks for posting!

DONNA - Consistent training is hard in the midst of life. The culinary tour sounded wonderful and good memories made. Total 16 running miles on the weekend? Way to go!

DAVE B - Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your diet and how you came to be where you are with it. And thanks for posting the energy ball recipe. I love allrecipes.com website and I use that recipe a lot. It can be modified easily to other fruits (apricots and cranberries are my fav) and I substitute coconut oil for the vegetable. I give it 5 stars.   Prayers for your Mom not getting pneumonia and having a speedy recovery.

Wonderful Wednesday to you all!

2015-01-21 8:12 AM
in reply to: #5085606

User image

Sai Kung,
Karl,

My hat's off to you my friend. It was a MAJOR challenge to get my wife to agree to no processed foods, etc. She is a meat and potatoes girl so giving up her spuds was a BIG deal. There isn't anyway in this lifetime that she is giving up her occasional Prime Rib. If I were to try and bring your diet in to the house, I suspect in fairly short order I would be getting a phone call from an attorney representing my wife. What's that old saying? Choose your battles?

That said, I have considered going with a diet similar to yours, just not sure I am ready to cook multiple meals every night . . . or be single again.

Hi Scott,

Yer in California? Is that SFO?
I don't know the restaurants in LA but in SFO the best restaurant in the known universe is in the Hotel Claifornia. It's called Millenium and its 100% vegan. Anyone I've ever taken there raves about it. You can book it on Open Table or call directly. I'm pretty confident your wife would find something she'd like.

Cheers,

Dave B.
2015-01-21 8:13 AM
in reply to: #5085616

User image

Sai Kung,
Rod,

Thanks for the tips!

Cheers,

Dave B.

2015-01-21 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey there!  Hope everyone's having a good week so far.  I got in a good swim this morning and have a tri club meeting tonight.  I got an email from the tri club yesterday that one of their sponsors (a local bike/triathlon store) is giving a free basic bike fit to all the club members.  I think I'm going to schedule one - I've had my bike for about 5 years but have never had an actual fit done.  I know you're supposed to get the fit done before/when you buy the bike but at the time I didn't know any better .  It's only a basic fit so nothing fancy but I figure it's better than nothing.  My biggest fear is that they'll tell me they can't fit me to the bike because it's really the wrong size for me, and a new bike is not in the budget right now.  I'm fairly comfortable riding it so hopefully they'll be able to make it work for me.  

One question though - I don't use clipless pedals (still have cages - hoping to go clipless in the next 6 months or so), is that going to make a difference when they do the fitting?  I know part of the fit is usually foot position so didn't know if this would affect the fit.
Janet

2015-01-21 3:15 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: food thoughts
I also live in a meat & potatoes (and pasta and pizza) family, although being the cook I have more control than some of you whose spouses do the cooking. There are some simple small steps that might help you with a diet adjustment:L
Meat & potatoes & WHAT? It is the new standard that half of your plate should be vegetables. Maybe there is room for change in that part of the plate. You could find some recipes for interesting, nutritious vegetable sides that go beyond the nutrient-less iceberg lettuce that often occupies it. Try shopping for and cooking just the vegetable sides.
An easy substitution for potatoes are sweet potatoes. They have a similar name & texture & are extremely delicious and nutritious. Just stab them with a fork & microwave them.
Once you have some good healthy vegetables on the plate, you can just pass on the red meat, eat more of the good stuff, & throw in some nuts or other protein sources.
I'm not a vegetarian or vegan (I might be if I didn't have a family), but it's been possible for me to virtually eliminate white potatoes, white flour, & sugar from my diet. This could be a good start for you.
Deb
2015-01-21 5:21 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Dangerus

Hi Scott,

I don't know the restaurants in LA but in SFO the best restaurant in the known universe is in the Hotel Claifornia. It's called Millenium and its 100% vegan. Anyone I've ever taken there raves about it. You can book it on Open Table or call directly. I'm pretty confident your wife would find something she'd like.

Cheers, Dave B.

Dave,

I pulled up the menu for the Millenium restaurant and had my wife take a look, here exact words were, "I think I'm going to be sick."  Pretty safe to say she isn't going to be making an 8-hour trip to keep reservations at the Millenium!

Thanks for trying though!

2015-01-21 5:57 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by Dangerus

Hi Scott,

Cheers, Dave B.

Dave,

I pulled up the menu for the Millenium restaurant and had my wife take a look, here exact words were, "I think I'm going to be sick."  Pretty safe to say she isn't going to be making an 8-hour trip to keep reservations at the Millenium!

Thanks for trying though!

Oh thanks for the rec, Dave. My cross-country team is already making plans to go to the Nationals next year in SF. One of my teammates is vegan and the rest are flexible, so we'll plan to eat there for sure. I've just put a note in my phone so I'll remember.
Scott, your wife will eat the way she wants to, but it's up to you to figure out how to eat the way you want to.
Deb
2015-01-21 6:14 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

. . . One question though - I don't use clipless pedals (still have cages - hoping to go clipless in the next 6 months or so), is that going to make a difference when they do the fitting?  I know part of the fit is usually foot position so didn't know if this would affect the fit.

Janet

Janet,

Not sure what they are offering.  On one extreme you can get a fit done on a fitting bike after-which you will have your stack and reach numbers translated to the perfect frame for you by manufacturer.  At the other extreme, you have a bike shop put you on your bike and adjust the saddle height.  Then there are limitless possibilities in between the extremes.

In answer to your question specifically, many bike fitters have the opinion that a bike fit begins at the feet as that is the first point of contact on a bike and proper cleat alignment is critical to a good bike fit.  If you don't have clip-less pedals, obviously they are not going to be able to adjust cleats and get that part of your fit setup.  I would think a "basic bike fit" will at least look at saddle height, saddle fore/aft position, stem length (reach), and stem height (drop).  I would think if you have been riding the bike for 5-years and are not miserable when you ride that the bike is close.  Getting a fit done will dial it in and hopefully make your more comfortable and powerful on the bike. 

I would ask them specifically what difference going to clip-less pedals will make on your fit and then get refit when you make the switch.

2015-01-21 10:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

The video makes me snicker whenever I watch it.  My wife frequently kayaks with me and my swim group (7 old men and women) when we swim in Okanagan Lake and I made the mistake of showing the video to her and she sent it to each of the swim buddies and offered to chase anyone that she thinks isn't swimming fast enough.

By the way - my wife is vegan (and avoids soy products as well) and we have no trouble making meals that accommodate both of us.  For example - tonight I made a vegan pasta dinner and then on the side I cooked up some onion, garlic and hamburger.  I just added the meat to my pasta and we both had what we wanted.

Soccermom - Clipless pedals take a bit of getting used to so if you're planning to race with the clipless you should get them as soon as you can start riding outside.  I fell 5 times getting used to clipping and un-clipping and it always happens in slow motion and at the most embarrassing times possible.  Most cyclists will have stories of their embarrassing falls.  Have fun with the bike fit and let us know how it goes.

2015-01-22 9:04 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Well, I broke down and signed up for Trainer Road.  I think three workouts a week on TR and one long ride outdoors will give me a bit more structure in my bike workouts.  I tend to not hit my intervals right when I am out riding so hopefully TR will eliminate that problem.  I like it too because it is pretty clear what your target power is.  Just hit the number and keep the bar green and all is good.  Simple.  I like that.  Simple is good for an old guy!

How is everyone's training going this week?

2015-01-22 9:09 PM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's

Originally posted by bswcpa

Good Morning Gang!   It's been 10 days post-op and I'm off the pain meds and hobbling around on crutches. 

Brenda,

I don't remember if you said how long your expected recovery is?  How is it going so far?

2015-01-22 10:24 PM

User image

Originally posted by k9car363

Well, I broke down and signed up for Trainer Road.  I think three workouts a week on TR and one long ride outdoors will give me a bit more structure in my bike workouts.  I tend to not hit my intervals right when I am out riding so hopefully TR will eliminate that problem.  I like it too because it is pretty clear what your target power is.  Just hit the number and keep the bar green and all is good.  Simple.  I like that.  Simple is good for an old guy!

How is everyone's training going this week?

Are you doing one of the TR training plans? I'm in the middle of the "Traditional Base I - Low Volume". Long "Aerobic Endurance" rides. I'm really starting to look forward the intervals in the more advance plans.

I've upped my training volume quite a bit. This week I'll finish with 4.5 hrs of "Aerobic Endurance" on the bike, 5 hrs swimming, and 2.5 hrs of running. Roughly eleven hours total for the week. I did three workouts yesterday and two today. I'm feeling pretty sore. Tomorrow is a relatively light workout (1.5 hrs of aerobic endurance on the bike) but I'm beginning to think I may be ramping up a little too fast.

BTW Scott, I'm taking private swim lessons from one of the members of our Masters team. He's a triathlete, and has coached several triathletes. I had my first lesson yesterday and he really helped me with my freestyle technique. Here are his major suggestions:

- Breathing and rotation: I generally breath to the right and he says I over-rotate to the right (almost 90 deg) when breathing to the right. He says my rotation is much better, and much more even, when I breath to the left. He said focusing on off-side breathing and/or bi-lateral breathing would help even out my rotation and give me more options in rough water.
- Recovery: I'm flipping my right hand behind my back at the end of my stroke. He thinks I'm overdoing the "rub your thumb across your hip" idea and, in combination with my over-rotation, this is leading to an awkward recovery. I also need to bring the elbow out of the water before the hand. I have trouble feeling this so I did a lot of laps as he provided feedback on the stroke.
- Backstroke: He feels that learning backstroke can really improve your freestyle. We spent some time on the backstroke. I'm really not very good at backstroke!
- Open turns: I told him I wanted to learn flip-turns but he suggested I improve my open turns first. I'd never had any instructions on open turns - it was a real eye opener. There really is more to a good open turn than touching the wall and swimming the other direction.
- Results: On my masters team, I'm normally the slowest person in the slow lane. Today I was actually catching up to one of my lane-mates.

I fell as if I've plateaued in my swimming recently. Hopefully this help!

Scott I.
2015-01-23 8:07 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning all! Almost to the weekend. I have zero motivation at work this morning. Cool and rainy....yuck. Weekend weather looks better. Swim at lunch then strength and a run this evening. Weekend looks like Saturday bike and run. Sunday run and swim.  Hope everyone is feeling more motivation than I am today! 

2015-01-23 8:17 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Randy,

I think you're sending the stormy weather up to us. Today was a rest day for me, so of course the weather was nice. Sunny and high 30's, which is not bad for January in Ct. Tomorrow's planned outdoor run will be moved indoors due to snowstorm in the forecast. TV news is showing lots of cancellations already.

Sunday will be a fun training session. My local YMCA tri club's first indoor mini tri of the season, an event that consists of a pool swim, then spin bike,then treadmill run. The whole thing is timed, even transitions from pool to spin room to treadmill room. About 40 people participate, and it is followed by a breakfast. As much fun as the training event is, the best part is that during breakfast that follows, there is viewing of a slide show featuring photos of the "race", complete with witty captions added by the tri club coordinator.

Hope everyone has a great weekend plan.

Dave
2015-01-23 10:12 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I had a good swim and run today.  I sure feel good after a good workout.  In the pool we did some speed work (fast 25m sprints).  I'm not fast but I do enjoy the speed sets.  On the trainer I'm still slow but today I managed to run under :12/mile (:11:42).  I'm also hopeful of running outside this Monday as well.

Tomorrow I have a 1:30 bike spin (7:30am!) and I want to tack on a 15minute off the bike run afterwards then I'm finished until Monday.

Scott I - I'm always looking for steady improvement in my swimming but instead I find it comes in dribs and drabs or two steps forward and one step backward.  Just keep at it everyone has slow or disappointing days.

As for flip turns vs open turns, I like the open turn myself but I admire anyone who makes the effort to learn flip turns.

Dave - Have fun at your indoor Tri.  Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

2015-01-23 11:01 PM

User image

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Scott I - I'm always looking for steady improvement in my swimming but instead I find it comes in dribs and drabs or two steps forward and one step backward.  Just keep at it everyone has slow or disappointing days.

Thanks for the encouragement George. Swimming improvement is very slow for a 56 y/o adult-onset swimmer. There are just too many moving parts that have to be coordinated!

Scott I.
2015-01-24 6:48 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Weekend plans
http://www.ithacajournal.com/story/sports/2015/01/23/top-masters-ru...
  • ..and then, of course, there will be me, fighting mightily not to be DFL. But it's sponsored by my club, so after several years of being urged to participate I'm joining in the fun. I've learned how to run by HR and RPE (when I feel like vomiting, that's anaerobic; save it for the last 1/2 mile). Secretly, I'd like to break 8:00.
  • Anybody else having any fun this weekend?
    Deb
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open