BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-02-18 9:52 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Training Plans

Originally posted by k9car363

Hey Everyone -

Looking at the workout totals from last week got me wondering.  Where is everyone at in their training plan/cycle?  Are you still training to train or maybe you are in the base phase?  Are you beginning to think about the build phase?  Do you know how to tell when it is time to move from one phase to the other?  Do you have your 'A' race picked out?  Have you entered your 'A' race yet?

I was just thinking about this over the weekend.  Most of my training right now has been focused on getting ready for my HM in May.  I've been doing a modified version of a winter bike maintenance plan and just getting used to swimming again.  But I don't have a specific plan yet for after the HM.  I know I'll be doing a duathlon, a biathlon, a short sprint tri, and a regular sprint tri.  I think my "A" race is going to be the regular sprint - Club Nationals on Sept 12th - so I'll have 19 weeks to prepare.  I need to figure out how to put together some kind of plan for those 19 weeks that works in my other races and helps me with both swimming and biking.  I printed out a couple of the BT training plans and I think I'll go through them this weekend and see what I can work out. 

Janet

2015-02-19 6:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Trail Running / Run Walk
Came across this article in the NYTimes this morning re: Galloway's Run/Walk method.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/18/real-runners-do-take-walk-...

I was kind of poo-poohing it until this quote, "More than 300,000 people have used the Galloway Run Walk Run Method, he says, with the fastest marathon time reported back to him from a 30-something male student who dropped his marathon time to 2 hours 28 minutes, from 2 hours 33 minutes, by adding walking breaks." Hardly a scientific comment, but interesting, none-the-less.

I've always been in the "gotta keep running" camp, but I know many who walk through water stops, and then this approach. Might be a smart strategy for my upcoming half. I'm definitely looking at the race as a "it will be warm", "it's a good cause", "it's a good workout", "don't overdo it" kind of race. Good opportunity to try something. Have any of you all done this as a strategy (as opposed to just running out of steam)?

Also wanted to follow-up on the trail running posts. Both of you mentioned that you felt like it was better training than road running. Do you think it was because less pounding, or more difficult terrain, or ???. My local training routes have lots of hills, so I feel like I get plenty of challenge there, but hadn't considered the less pounding aspect and maybe other things (having to raise feet more, more balance needed / different hitting patterns).

Scott, good question for the group regarding training and goals. I kind of wanted to get through Feb and see where things stood. Last two months were all about the bass... errr... base :-)

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2015-02-19 8:30 AM
2015-02-19 9:08 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Stu - I have run 7 marathons and my best time was when I ran/walked it. Not only was it my best time but I felt really good at the finish line. It's the only way I run distances of 10 plus miles now.

Donna
2015-02-19 5:28 PM

Ive done 2 marathons with the Run walk technique

It definitely helps if you are not an elite runner

The books go into the physiology and heart rates, etc... It been a decade since i read the books, but when I returned to running, I didn't want to aggravate an old knee injury. Both marathons were slooooow, but i finished uninjured.

Tom
2015-02-19 5:48 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Deb Made the BIG Time!

Hey Deb,

Back when you asked the question about your half-marathon pacing I noticed you also posted the question to the moderators to possibly be answered in a coaching article.

Don't know if you have seen it yet, but they answered your question!

http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2121

Hey, Scott, I did see the article. I liked the simplicity of Mike's 5/5/5 formula (5 miles zone 2, 5 miles zone 3, and 5k as hard as I can.) This is only minimally different from what you suggested, and what I figured out on my own.
The only thing that confused me a little was that he pegged my Lactate Threshold in the middle of zone 3; my understanding by BT's own test protocol is that it's the boundary between 4 & 5.
At any rate, if the weather's anything like today I will be highly motivated to finish quickly just to get the heck out of the elements!
Deb
2015-02-19 6:39 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by juneapple Came across this article in the NYTimes this morning re: Galloway's Run/Walk method. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/18/real-runners-do-take-walk-... I was kind of poo-poohing it until this quote, "More than 300,000 people have used the Galloway Run Walk Run Method, he says, with the fastest marathon time reported back to him from a 30-something male student who dropped his marathon time to 2 hours 28 minutes, from 2 hours 33 minutes, by adding walking breaks." Hardly a scientific comment, but interesting, none-the-less. I've always been in the "gotta keep running" camp, but I know many who walk through water stops, and then this approach. Might be a smart strategy for my upcoming half. I'm definitely looking at the race as a "it will be warm", "it's a good cause", "it's a good workout", "don't overdo it" kind of race. Good opportunity to try something. Have any of you all done this as a strategy (as opposed to just running out of steam)?

Also wanted to follow-up on the trail running posts. Both of you mentioned that you felt like it was better training than road running. Do you think it was because less pounding, or more difficult terrain, or ???. My local training routes have lots of hills, so I feel like I get plenty of challenge there, but hadn't considered the less pounding aspect and maybe other things (having to raise feet more, more balance needed / different hitting patterns). Scott, good question for the group regarding training and goals. I kind of wanted to get through Feb and see where things stood. Last two months were all about the bass... errr... base :-) Stu

Stu - I usually use run/walk for my longer runs and also for the half marathons I've done.  I'd like to be able to run the whole distance but have just never been able to do it.  Run/walk gets me to the finish and I don't feel trashed at the end. 

As for the trail running - I think for me it's better training partly because I enjoy it so much more than roads.  I can run on a trail all day (although I do tend to walk some on the hills) whereas on the road, I'm ready to be done after about 20 minutes.  It's a totally different environment, I'm more relaxed, I feel like I'm more engaged in the run.  It is a little tougher on the ankles and hips when you first start out because of the uneven terrain, but you get used to it - have to remember to pick up your feet though and watch where you're going.  I've only gone down once so far, but had a couple of close calls

Janet

2015-02-19 8:00 PM

User image

Originally posted by juneapple

Came across this article in the NYTimes this morning re: Galloway's Run/Walk method.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/18/real-runners-do-take-walk-...

I was kind of poo-poohing it until this quote, "More than 300,000 people have used the Galloway Run Walk Run Method, he says, with the fastest marathon time reported back to him from a 30-something male student who dropped his marathon time to 2 hours 28 minutes, from 2 hours 33 minutes, by adding walking breaks." Hardly a scientific comment, but interesting, none-the-less.

I've always been in the "gotta keep running" camp, but I know many who walk through water stops, and then this approach. Might be a smart strategy for my upcoming half. I'm definitely looking at the race as a "it will be warm", "it's a good cause", "it's a good workout", "don't overdo it" kind of race. Good opportunity to try something. Have any of you all done this as a strategy (as opposed to just running out of steam)?

Stu

Stu,

I also use the run/walk method on my longer runs. I do this for 2 reasons. First, I'm still having some issues with my previously injured calf muscle when the run gets longer than about 40 minutes. Walking 20 seconds every 4 or 5 minutes allows me to "run" over an hour. Second, I'm trying to up my run cadence to improve my running efficiency and reduce the number of injuries. The longer I run the more I drop back into my old "heal striker" mode. A short walk break allows me to refocus on what I'm trying to accomplish with my higher cadence. Sort of a run reboot!

Scott I.
2015-02-19 8:49 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by juneapple 

Stu

Hey Stu,

Last October in Kona Sebastian Kenle went into the Ironman with the intent of Run/Walking the marathon.  There he was on TV in every aid station, drink in one hand, ice in the other - walking.  I guess it served him fairly well, 2:58 for the run (average 6:47/mile), oh, and he won the championship.  Yeah I would say Run/Wallk is a strategy worth considering.

Edited by k9car363 2015-02-19 8:56 PM
2015-02-20 7:50 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Wow... that was overwhelmingly positive feedback about the run/walk approach. Thanks so much, everyone. Guess I'll definitely give it a whirl. Makes sense for my fitness level and race goals. So, the next obvious question for those of you who have used it in a half marathon race, what is your approach? Seems like there are two aspects to that and I didn't find the answers on his site... seemed like that was more geared toward training than racing (or I may have misunderstood).

1) How often do you walk and for how long?

2) Do you change what would have been your goal pace for the run portion?

I don't yet know how often there will be water stops, but walking at every water stop is my current thought :-)

Thanks again... I didn't expect that - love it when life surprises you!

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2015-02-20 7:50 AM
2015-02-20 9:59 AM

User image

Subject: Rotator Cuff Tendinitis
I swam a 1.5 hour team workout last Sunday and couldn't lift my right arm on Monday. My doctor says it is rotator cuff tendinitis. He prescribed ice, ibuprofen (4 pills 4 times a day), and (in a couple weeks) elastic band exercises to help stabilize the shoulder. Surprisingly, he said I can still swim but no sprinting and NO BUTTERFLY. He also suggested that my private lessons focus on improved swim technique to reduce shoulder impingement during the recovery phase. My doctor's on my Masters team so has some idea of what I'm doing wrong.

This isn't the first time I've had trouble with this shoulder, so I need to work on making it stronger. The elastic band exercises look promising. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Scott I.
2015-02-20 12:22 PM

User image

After reading the above posts this morning, I decided to try the run/walk method in my long run today. Normally, I feel like a failure when I have to stop to walk, and when I start walking, I just want to do it more during the run. So today, At the 5min mark and 10min mark of each mile, I walked 20-30 seconds. It worked out well, and I feel great.I'm thinking about doing it at my next HM in March, but wonder if there is a better ratio of walk/run. What do others do? I've heard of others doing the run 4min/walk 1, for the run part of an ironman. I've been thinking about doing something like that for my 70.3, if needed.

I'm dealing with a headache and stiff neck/upper back muscles this week. I took Wed. off thinking it would feel better, but no. I'm going for a massage today, as the chiropractor was booked. I'm also having a mole removed next Tuesday, so the Dr said no swimming for 5 days, but I can do everything else. He, a dermatologist, of course emphasized sunscreen for us triathletes. As a sun worshipper, I wear a bikini while training, just so I can get more sun.
Scott-hope your shoulder feels better soon.

Edited by Kris67 2015-02-20 3:34 PM

2015-02-20 2:57 PM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by Kris67
As a sun worshipper, I wear a bikini while training, just so I can get more sun.
Steve-hope your shoulder feels better soon.

I like that bikini idea... think I'll try it soon!
Scott I, I don't think the butterfly would be anything anyone with shoulder problems would want to do. I've always wondered about that stroke; how would it help a distance swimmer? In fact, why does it even exist?
Deb
2015-02-20 8:23 PM

Kris67

for my marathon I did 9-1 so that it was an even 10 minute interval.... Right now I do a 6-1 on the dreadmill.... Depends on your endurance....

The books I think say a range up to 15-1.

I use a HRM and i let my HR settle back to zone 1.

Try different intervals

For me the connivence of 9-1 was easier so that is what i stuck with in the marathons

Tom

Edited by matrixband12 2015-02-20 8:24 PM
2015-02-20 9:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Originally posted by juneapple Wow... that was overwhelmingly positive feedback about the run/walk approach. Thanks so much, everyone. Guess I'll definitely give it a whirl. Makes sense for my fitness level and race goals. So, the next obvious question for those of you who have used it in a half marathon race, what is your approach? Seems like there are two aspects to that and I didn't find the answers on his site... seemed like that was more geared toward training than racing (or I may have misunderstood). 1) How often do you walk and for how long? 2) Do you change what would have been your goal pace for the run portion? I don't yet know how often there will be water stops, but walking at every water stop is my current thought :-) Thanks again... I didn't expect that - love it when life surprises you! Stu

I used to run/walk but had more recently been focusing on just running.  So, today I went out intending to run 5 min/ walk 1 min intervals.  My timing was a bit sloppy but I held to it fairly well and then when I downloaded my Garmin stats I was quite impressed with the results.  My average time today compared to my Wednesday pure run was 5 secs seconds per mile slower than the pure running.  Besides that I posted faster run times today including my fastest interval at 6:25/km which is the fastest I've ever run.  I felt faster, fresher and had less "heavy" legs.  Another surprise to me was I felt like I could have pushed myself more on the running so I'll be experimenting with this in my next few runs as well.  Maybe I can catch up to my pure run pace.

With regards to when to walk try the 5:1 ratio to see if you like it.  When I first started running I was at 2:2 and built up slowly to 10:2 and then to 5:1.  You'll find a race is different from a training run so try and be flexible with your walking.  In reading race reports I noticed that many people walk the AID stations but many also plan to walk up any steep hills which is a fairly big issue in my area.

I don't know how frequent AID stations are in pure runs but in my HIMs they were about 1 mile apart.  

In learning to run the best/first thing I learned was to drop my arms and not hold so much tension in my trapezius muscles while running.  

*** I wish today was our weigh in day because I weighed in at 178 this morning then after my run this afternoon I weighed in at 175.6 lbs!  I know it will all come back but it sure looked good on the scales.

2015-02-20 10:14 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Rotator Cuff Tendinitis

Originally posted by EchoLkScott I swam a 1.5 hour team workout last Sunday and couldn't lift my right arm on Monday. My doctor says it is rotator cuff tendinitis. He prescribed ice, ibuprofen (4 pills 4 times a day), and (in a couple weeks) elastic band exercises to help stabilize the shoulder. Surprisingly, he said I can still swim but no sprinting and NO BUTTERFLY. He also suggested that my private lessons focus on improved swim technique to reduce shoulder impingement during the recovery phase. My doctor's on my Masters team so has some idea of what I'm doing wrong. This isn't the first time I've had trouble with this shoulder, so I need to work on making it stronger. The elastic band exercises look promising. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks! Scott I.

As I read your post I was going to say you had a really good Doctor.  It was lucky you swim with him.  I'm far from an expert and shoulders are so hard to deal with at the best of times but my first thought was how much do you rotate your body?  You might need to make sure you are rotating enough so you don't hyper extend your shoulder.  Just a thought.

Personally, I avoid the Butterfly stroke and the back stroke (I can kick on my back really well but as soon as I use my arms I'm about to "upchuck" so to speak). 

2015-02-21 7:14 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Opps!  Went away for a couple days and forgot how the forum works!  Silly me.

Edited by k9car363 2015-02-21 7:28 AM

2015-02-21 7:55 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Rotator Cuff Tendinitis

Originally posted by EchoLkScott

I swam a 1.5 hour team workout last Sunday and couldn't lift my right arm on Monday. My doctor says it is rotator cuff tendinitis. He prescribed ice, ibuprofen (4 pills 4 times a day), and (in a couple weeks) elastic band exercises to help stabilize the shoulder. Surprisingly, he said I can still swim but no sprinting and NO BUTTERFLY. He also suggested that my private lessons focus on improved swim technique to reduce shoulder impingement during the recovery phase. My doctor's on my Masters team so has some idea of what I'm doing wrong.

This isn't the first time I've had trouble with this shoulder, so I need to work on making it stronger. The elastic band exercises look promising. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks! Scott I.

Hey Scott,

Sadly, if you swim freestyle long enough, you will likely have some shoulder issues at one point or another.

Shoulder problems while swimming are typically not so much a matter of shoulder strength and stabilization as they are a result of improper technique.  You need a good deal of body rotation to allow the high elbow recovery.  If you don't have sufficient rotation, you will create shoulder impingement and ultimately that will lead to rotator cuff issues.  That's why butterfly is a problem.  There is no rotation so your shoulders are flat as you try to recover both arms simultaneously.  I will certainly defer to a physician about strengthening and stabilizing your shoulder, however I will recommend a drill you can do that will help technique so you can avoid the problem in the first place.

As you know, I am generally not a fan of drills.  However, I do think they have a  time and place when there is a specific and identifiable issue that the drill can help correct.  This is one of those cases.  I think doing the "Fingertip Drag Drill" will help you improve your body rotation which will help eliminate the shoulder impingement.  Here is a link to a YouTube video that demonstrates doing the drill properly - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XITzpum5lxA.  The ONLY way to have a high elbow recovery is to have sufficient body rotation.  If you don't have high elbows, your arms will have to swing out to the side which will introduce a number of other technique deficiencies.  You may have to find a happy medium by compromising between body rotation, high elbow, and wide arm swing.  If you go that route, just remember, the higher the elbow, the faster you will ultimately be.  Your health comes first so take the time to find the recovery position that works best with your shoulder.

2015-02-21 9:06 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by EchoLkScott 

I'm not sure how to answer this. I'm certainly aware of distance - especially in the run. I'm still building strength and endurance in my legs after my calf injury last spring. Right now I'm comfortable with 5 miles (shorter run of the week) but struggle a bit with muscle issues as I approach 10K. That said, the BT training plan is purely volume (duration) based. I've just gotten to the stage where my long run of the week ends up being well over 10K. I've had to reduce my pace a bit on the long run to avoid muscle strains.

Is this what you were asking?

Thanks! Scott I.

Yes and no.

My example when I asked the distance/duration question probably could have been better so I will take another swing at it and pose the question a bit differently.  Imagine you have been training for a HIM.  Your target for the 90km/56mile bike leg is 3:00 which works out to 18.7 MPH and is comfortably at 80% FTP (these are just numbers I came up with and are not necessarily reflective of YOU).  You have consistently trained over several months and the target time, distance and power are no problem in training.  The race bike course is a simple 28 mile flat out and back.  However, you show up on race day and there is a 30 MPH wind blowing that will be a headwind on the way back.  Your 3 hour/18.7 MPH target likely just went out the window.  So I ask again, have you trained for distance or duration?  The answer to that question goes directly towards riding intensity.  The next part to the question is, given the scenario I presented, what do you do on race day?  Do you alter your strategy?  If so, how do you alter your strategy?  The answer to those questions goes directly towards pacing, which goes back to training intensity and how you train - distance/duration.

In this scenario, it likely wouldn't be just the bike that would be impacted.  It would be a safe bet that you would also feel the effect of the wind during your run at some point and if you overcooked your bike split your run would could easily turn into a death march at some point.  Even if you hit your bike split perfectly, if you didn't have the same foresight in training for your run, you may be facing the same death march.

I strongly believe in "nothing new on race day."  My intent here is to get everyone thinking.  If you anticipate a situation and train for that, then come race day, all is good.  You will have been there, done that.

Happy training!

2015-02-21 9:26 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by DJP_19

I'm always wondering if I'm approaching this the right way, since many folks in my tri club seem to take a fairly unstructured approach to training.

Dave

This is exactly my point!  Having a plan, any plan, is far superior to not having a plan.  Don't take that to mean that how your plan is structured and laid out is unimportant.  The more precisely your plan is tailored to you and your goals the better.  Unfortunately, so many age-group triathletes approach their training just as you observed, in an unstructured manner.  They wake up in the morning and think, oh yeah, I have to train today, hmmm, what should I do?

I think you should KNOW what every mile you ride on your bike, every minute you spend running, and every yard you swim is going to do for you and how that fits in to achieving your goals.  The only way you can do that is having a plan.

2015-02-21 9:56 AM

User image

Spencer, New York

<

Yes and no.

My example when I asked the distance/duration question probably could have been better so I will take another swing at it and pose the question a bit differently.  Imagine you have been training for a HIM.  Your target for the 90km/56mile bike leg is 3:00 which works out to 18.7 MPH and is comfortably at 80% FTP (these are just numbers I came up with and are not necessarily reflective of YOU).  You have consistently trained over several months and the target time, distance and power are no problem in training.  The race bike course is a simple 28 mile flat out and back.  However, you show up on race day and there is a 30 MPH wind blowing that will be a headwind on the way back.  Your 3 hour/18.7 MPH target likely just went out the window.  So I ask again, have you trained for distance or duration?  The answer to that question goes directly towards riding intensity.  The next part to the question is, given the scenario I presented, what do you do on race day?  Do you alter your strategy?  If so, how do you alter your strategy?  The answer to those questions goes directly towards pacing, which goes back to training intensity and how you train - distance/duration.

In this scenario, it likely wouldn't be just the bike that would be impacted.  It would be a safe bet that you would also feel the effect of the wind during your run at some point and if you overcooked your bike split your run would could easily turn into a death march at some point.  Even if you hit your bike split perfectly, if you didn't have the same foresight in training for your run, you may be facing the same death march.

I strongly believe in "nothing new on race day."  My intent here is to get everyone thinking.  If you anticipate a situation and train for that, then come race day, all is good.  You will have been there, done that.

Happy training!

This is exactly why I like the BT plans I've used. When I've used other plans that are based on pace, I get frustrated & feel like a failure because I can't meet the target paces, or have to work too hard to do so, or there is a headwind etc. If a BT plan says, for instance, "run 60 minutes in zone 2," anyone can do that with success and the same training purpose will be met whether you are slow like me or fast like a 25-year old male.
Similarly, if I target my HR zones correctly, if there are headwinds or hills in a race they will affect my pace, but I can still stay on target with my effort level and not bomb the race. One of my goals for this year is to switch over from HR to RPE. I am beginning to be able to FEEL where my physiology changes from one level or sub-level to the next. That might take awhile but I'm patient.
PS Weather forecast for tomorrow's race is in the 20's. I hardly remember how to dress for such warm weather
Deb
2015-02-21 10:04 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

I was just thinking about this over the weekend.  Most of my training right now has been focused on getting ready for my HM in May.  I've been doing a modified version of a winter bike maintenance plan and just getting used to swimming again.  But I don't have a specific plan yet for after the HM.  I know I'll be doing a duathlon, a biathlon, a short sprint tri, and a regular sprint tri.  I think my "A" race is going to be the regular sprint - Club Nationals on Sept 12th - so I'll have 19 weeks to prepare.  I need to figure out how to put together some kind of plan for those 19 weeks that works in my other races and helps me with both swimming and biking.  I printed out a couple of the BT training plans and I think I'll go through them this weekend and see what I can work out. 

Janet

Janet,

This is almost a mirror image of what I had to plan for this year.  I have a HM in April ('B' race) and a marathon at the end of May ('A-' race).  Then I have Ironman Louisville in October ('A+' race).  Six weeks between the HM and the marathon, then 19 weeks until the Ironman.  I have a couple Oly's in there along the way as tune-up races that I consider 'C' races.

Like you, I took a couple of the BT plans, pulled a couple online marathon plans, threw them all into a blender and came out with a plan.  Once I had that, I gave them to my coaches for their input.  I could have just let them come up with the plan but I am a control freak and consider myself the ultimate arbiter of my training and I like to fully understand what I am doing and why I am doing it; plus, trying to get a couple coaches to land on the same page can be a challenge

As you formulate a plan, there are the obvious considerations, balancing intensity workouts with distance/endurance workouts and recovery workouts/days, making sure your build rate is realistic so as to avoid injury and provide sufficient volume, etc.  .I think the one piece of advice I can give you that I wish someone had given me when I first started working on a plan is to make sure your plan allows for life.  What I mean is, you are going to miss an occasional workout.  That is a fact of life - deal with it.  If your plan is so structured and inflexible that missing a single workout immediately leads to failure, your plan is not allowing for life.  Make sure your plan is written in such a way that weather, illness, kids, family, etc. isn't going to be the death nail to your plan.

Good luck!

2015-02-21 10:07 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Weekend Plans?

So whats everyone got on tap this weekend?

We have been enjoying pretty nice weather lately, although the weather prognosticators say we might get some rain this evening and tomorrow.  I am planning a bike ride down to the beach and back.  It will be along a multi-use trail so it isn't going to be real intense but I am looking forward to a nice 60+ mile zone 2 ride.

2015-02-21 1:37 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Weekend Plans?

We have been enjoying pretty nice weather lately, although the weather prognosticators say we might get some rain this evening and tomorrow.  I am planning a bike ride down to the beach and back.  It will be along a multi-use trail so it isn't going to be real intense but I am looking forward to a nice 60+ mile zone 2 ride.

Got in my usual 11 mile long run this morning. Pace is easy but we added in some trail running along the river this morning to add a little interest. Then did an hour of weights at the gym. Heading for the pool shortly.

Sunday will be two hours on the indoor trainer (it's almost nice enough to ride outside) and then a long hike with my wife and our two Aussie Shepherd dogs in an area called Ancient Lakes. It's about 30 minutes from our house. The area is really wild and a geologic wonder, carved out by massive flooding 10,000 years ago when an ice dam broke. You can check it out here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ancient+lakes&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=...

Hope you have a great weekend!

Steve
2015-02-21 1:42 PM

User image

Yes and no.

Happy training!

OK, I think I understand your point. To handle this scenario you need to prepare for a longer duration at a lower intensity. So, in training, you need to practice a range of durations and understand the appropriate intensity for each duration on race day.

Scott I.
2015-02-21 1:58 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Weekend Plans?

Today is my long run of the week - about 8 miles. I'll be doing a 4 to 1 run/walk.

The weather is gorgeous this weekend. Sunny with highs in the mid to high 50's. For Seattle, these conditions are more typical of early May, not February My apologies to those of you suffering through the East coast cold snap, but this has been a remarkably mild winter for those of us on the West coast.

I'll do an easy ride on the tri-bike sometime this weekend. I've been spending a lot of time on the trainer, but that doesn't help my bike handling skills. I need to get out and ride in the real world when the weather is nice!

Scott I.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open