BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-02-22 6:33 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 2/15/2015 Check-In
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by Mountaindan

The snow is definitely getting a little hard to move, there is no where to put it anymore and now it's time to start clearing the roof before we get any warm weather, if we get any warm weather?

So would it be inappropriate for me to tell you it was 80 degrees here and I was in shorts all day?  That said, I miss the seasons and the snow.

Not at all Scott, I made the choice to move here I do like the snow, but this year trying to train for a marathon is taking it's toll, I'm trying to decide if I should just do the half at this point? I just haven't had the time to really focus and enjoy what i am doing, it has been kind of a chore and that is not what I am in this for. On top of that it looks like i may have to back out of my big goal, which is Ironman Lake Tahoe, I am deploying again and the timing is going to be very close, I would hate to put everything into something just to not even make the start line? Just trying to figure out what I should do, Life is getting in the way once again!
On a bright note we only received a couple of inches of snow last night and it's almost to the freezing mark, gonna be a warm day!

Dan

2015-02-22 7:00 AM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: Training Plans
Originally posted by ok2try

<

This is exactly why I like the BT plans I've used. When I've used other plans that are based on pace, I get frustrated & feel like a failure because I can't meet the target paces, or have to work too hard to do so, or there is a headwind etc. If a BT plan says, for instance, "run 60 minutes in zone 2," anyone can do that with success and the same training purpose will be met whether you are slow like me or fast like a 25-year old male.
Similarly, if I target my HR zones correctly, if there are headwinds or hills in a race they will affect my pace, but I can still stay on target with my effort level and not bomb the race. One of my goals for this year is to switch over from HR to RPE. I am beginning to be able to FEEL where my physiology changes from one level or sub-level to the next. That might take awhile but I'm patient.
PS Weather forecast for tomorrow's race is in the 20's. I hardly remember how to dress for such warm weather
Deb

Deb
This is a very good point! I have been using a marathon plan from a local coach that he designed for me, but there are certain workouts that are a real struggle for me. One in particular called for 2 miles easy, 3 miles at threshold, which he determined to be 8 min mile pace, that is a pretty fast pace for me at this point, add in very cold temps and icy roads where i run and I had a horrible time trying to keep that pace, I felt very discouraged and kind of took the wind from my sails for a few days! I have used BT's plans and felt very good when doing so. I like duration over pure mileage based programs, at least for me.

Dan
2015-02-22 9:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: Weight Loss Challenge - 2/22/2015 Check-In

Hey Everyone -

Here is the more detailed breakdown I promised for the Weight Loss/Workout Challenge.

How you earn points -

• +5 points for no weight gain
  • +/- 1 point per pound lost/gained, or fraction thereof
  • +1 point for every 30 workout minutes

No weight change (150) and I exercised 11hrs 12min (215 min swimming, 240 min biking, 182 min running, and 35 min strength training). So, my points for the week:

• +5 points for no weight gain
  • 0 points for 0 pounds lost
  • +22.4 point for 672 workout minutes
  • Total: 27.4 points

Good workouts this week! I'm a little frustrated I didn't loose any weight!

Scott I.

Edited by EchoLkScott 2015-02-22 9:19 AM

2015-02-22 2:15 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 2/22/2015 Check-In
Hi All

This weeks results are 6 hours training & steady weight = 17 points.

I was able to run / walk for the first time since November and only slight soreness in the knee. Slow & Steady.

Heading off for a 1 week holiday.
2015-02-22 2:49 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington

So would it be inappropriate for me to tell you it was 80 degrees here and I was in shorts all day?  That said, I miss the seasons and the snow.

• On top of that it looks like i may have to back out of my big goal, which is Ironman Lake Tahoe, I am deploying again and the timing is going to be very close, I would hate to put everything into something just to not even make the start line?

• Dan

Do you know where you'll deploy out to Dan? Good luck where ever you go and thanks for your service!

Steve
    2015-02-22 6:33 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
    Subject: RE: Weekend Plans?

The weather is gorgeous this weekend. Sunny with highs in the mid to high 50's. For Seattle, these conditions are more typical of early May, not February My apologies to those of you suffering through the East coast cold snap, but this has been a remarkably mild winter for those of us on the West coast.
    ng a lot of time on the trainer, but that doesn't help my bike handling skills. I need to get out and ride in the real world when the weather is nice!

Scott I.

Sorry, all you northwesterners. I'm visiting Oregon in 10 days, and I'm bringing this cold weather with me. And all you northeasterners, I expect you to have this mess cleaned up & gone by the time I get back
    Ran my HM in 2:17:32. Parts of it were a snowy mess and there was no place to warm up, but it was more fun than I anticipated. I'll write a full report later.
    I tried an ice bath after I got home. Plucked a bunch of icicles from the porch eaves & threw them in the tub. I couldn't get the water temp below 74 degrees, but I think it still made my legs & butt feel better. It's worth trying again, with more determination.
    Deb

2015-02-22 8:13 PM
    in reply to: lutzman

User image

Veteran
    Kennebunkport, Qatar
    Originally posted by lutzman

• On top of that it looks like i may have to back out of my big goal, which is Ironman Lake Tahoe, I am deploying again and the timing is going to be very close, I would hate to put everything into something just to not even make the start line?

• Dan

Do you know where you'll deploy out to Dan? Good luck where ever you go and thanks for your service!

Steve

Thank you Steve! Destination is yet to be finalized, but I am sure it will be warmer and dryer than Maine has been!

Dan
    2015-02-22 8:18 PM

User image

Veteran
    Kennebunkport, Qatar

The weather is gorgeous this weekend. Sunny with highs in the mid to high 50's. For Seattle, these conditions are more typical of early May, not February My apologies to those of you suffering through the East coast cold snap, but this has been a remarkably mild winter for those of us on the West coast.
    ng a lot of time on the trainer, but that doesn't help my bike handling skills. I need to get out and ride in the real world when the weather is nice!

Scott I.

Sorry, all you northwesterners. I'm visiting Oregon in 10 days, and I'm bringing this cold weather with me. And all you northeasterners, I expect you to have this mess cleaned up & gone by the time I get back
    Ran my HM in 2:17:32. Parts of it were a snowy mess and there was no place to warm up, but it was more fun than I anticipated. I'll write a full report later.
    I tried an ice bath after I got home. Plucked a bunch of icicles from the porch eaves & threw them in the tub. I couldn't get the water temp below 74 degrees, but I think it still made my legs & butt feel better. It's worth trying again, with more determination.
    Deb

Great job Deb! I will help you pack some cold weather for the west coast, they need it.
    Ran today in some mild temps, for us, low 30's, t-shirt and a nylon jacket, no gloves, no hat, it was almost like summer.

Dan
    2015-02-22 9:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Penticton, BC

Weight Loss Challenge:

No weight loss/gain  = 5 points

Total workout minutes = 666 minutes = 22.2 points (I'll be a fair bit slower this week).

Total = 27.2 points.

Deb - Very admirable HM pace.  Looking forward to reading your report.  

Steve - ChelanMan question, about accommodations - My friend will pull a trailer down and I'll be camping in a tent, hopefully on an adjacent spot.  Are you aware of any close by camp grounds?  I need to study a map of the town and transition areas to get familiar with where we want to be.  I also had a look at your Ancient Lakes and they look worth some time to explore the area.

2015-02-23 5:49 AM
    in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Veteran
    Kennebunkport, Qatar
    Hopefully back on track
    down to 233 loss of 4 pounds
    337 mins of Workout

Total 20.24

Have a Great week all!

Dan
    2015-02-23 3:23 PM

User image

Deb

That's OK Deb. The truth is, we need more snow in the mountains. You may save us from a water shortage this summer!

Congratulations on the HM!

Scott I.

2015-02-23 6:32 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

Deb
    This is a very good point! I have been using a marathon plan from a local coach that he designed for me, but there are certain workouts that are a real struggle for me. One in particular called for 2 miles easy, 3 miles at threshold, which he determined to be 8 min mile pace, that is a pretty fast pace for me at this point, add in very cold temps and icy roads where i run and I had a horrible time trying to keep that pace, I felt very discouraged and kind of took the wind from my sails for a few days! I have used BT's plans and felt very good when doing so. I like duration over pure mileage based programs, at least for me.

Dan

The plan I used for my HM called for similar workouts at various tempos which the coach named as 5k, 10k, "comfortably hard," "steady state," and HM pace. They were defined in terms of speeds that were often impossible to meet, especially with the wind & the yaktrax etc. So over time I just figured out their equivalent in terms of HR and/or PRE. That worked much better for me. During my race I didn't even look at my pace, just the HR; and tthe pace turned out better than I would have expected.
    By the way, my report is posted:
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
    Deb
    2015-02-23 8:02 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
    Snow on Sat night/Sun morning forced cancellation of indoor tri. I traded gym time for snowblower duty on Sunday.

Numbers for the week:

380 minutes training = 12.6pts
    gained 1 lb ugh! = -1 pt
    total 11.6 pts

Dave
    2015-02-23 8:19 PM
    in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Regular
    Originally posted by wenceslasz

;">Steve - ChelanMan question, about accommodations - My friend will pull a trailer down and I'll be camping in a tent, hopefully on an adjacent spot.  Are you aware of any close by camp grounds?  I need to study a map of the town and transition areas to get familiar with where we want to be.  I also had a look at your Ancient Lakes and they look worth some time to explore the area.

Hey Scott:

The race goes off at Lakeside Park. I believe there is overnight camping at the City Park. It's about 5 minutes by car, maybe 10 minutes by bike. If that's not available, you can stay at the Lake Chelan State Park. That's a bit farther away, probably more than halfway out on the Olympic course. So, you're 15-20 minutes drive from the start.

If neither of those parks are available, there is a county park in Wenatchee that is about 35 minutes away. I live in Wenatchee and it's an easy commute up on race morning.

You'll need to arrange to be in Chelan a day early if they run it as they have in the past. In previous years bikes were required to be checked in at the transition area the afternoon prior to the race. There is no day-of-race check in. So, if you're racing on Saturday you'll need to be in Chelan on Friday afternoon for number pick up and bike drop off.

Steve

2015-02-23 8:21 PM

User image

Regular
    Subject: RE: Points
    Lost two pounds this week. Yahoo! = 7
    480 minutes workout = 16

Total = 23
    2015-02-23 9:41 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, Virginia
    Subject: RE: Points
    Lost 2 lbs this week - 7pts
    360 minutes - 12 pts

Total = 19 pts.

2 more lbs to go to make my goal of 10 pounds since Jan 1st. Not too likely that will happen by this weekend's race, but progress :-)

Why can't days be 28 hours long?

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2015-02-23 9:41 PM

2015-02-23 10:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Penticton, BC

That's perfect info on the campsites, Thanks.  We want to book our spots PDQ so we don't have to worry about it.  We're planning to drive down the Wednesday before the race so we can check out the courses and I like to swim in the lake to get comfortable with it before the race.  

Deb - great race report.  You handled your race very well.

2015-02-23 10:30 PM
    in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Regular
    Originally posted by wenceslasz

That's perfect info on the campsites, Thanks.  We want to book our spots PDQ so we don't have to worry about it.  We're planning to drive down the Wednesday before the race so we can check out the courses and I like to swim in the lake to get comfortable with it before the race.  

Deb - great race report.  You handled your race very well.

Scott--the lake is fabulous. Best triathlon water ever....2nd only to Lake Tahoe.
    2015-02-24 6:09 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Weight loss - lost 2.7 pounds this week

Workout - 643 minutes

2015-02-24 6:23 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Here are the current point totals for the Weight Loss/Workout Challenge.

Steve, I don't believe the totals include your numbers from last week and Tom, I have no numbers for you this week.  Just want to make sure you guys get credit for the work you did.

Looks like we are all playing for second as Scott I. continues to dominate although a bunch of us were able to shed some excess baggage this week!  Good job everyone!

(0222_weightloss_workout.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    0222_weightloss_workout.jpg (66KB - 2 downloads)
    2015-02-24 7:57 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member
    Subject: Weight Loss/Nutrition and Making Changes

Until about 10-years ago, I never really had a weight problem.  Back when I was swimming, it was all I could do to pack enough food in replace the 8,000 calories a day I was burning in the pool.  After I retired from swimming, I was a dog handler on a Search and Rescue team so hiking 50-75 miles a week in the high back country pretty well maintained my weight in a healthy range and the occasional swim or bike ride kept me somewhat aerobically fit.  Then about 10-years ago life started to happen - we had some issues with one of our kids (that's always good for some stress and a few pounds), I started my own business - and suddenly my weight was tickling 300 pounds.

In the spring of 2012, I decided to turn the 30-year old dream of Kona into the memory of Kona and began my triathlon journey.  I knew that the first order of business was to lose a significant amount of weight.  I started researching and settled on the Atkins diet, which indeed, allowed my to quickly drop 50 pounds - in less than 6 weeks.  That led to several medical problems, not the lest of which was emergency gall bladder surgery.  The doctor's said the pancreatitis and gall bladder issues were a direct result of the rapid weight loss.  But I digress.  That little episode was enough to get me to return to a well-balanced diet,  My weight was heading in the right direction and I assumed that as I ramped up my training volume, the weight would simply take care of itself.

Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out that way.  I did all the math - I figured out my BMR, then allowed for all of my daily activity/exercise to arrive at a daily calorie goal.  The final step was to subtract enough calories to create a daily deficit so that I could lose 1-pound per week.  Except it didn't work out that way.  My weight was stagnate at best.  I would lose a half-pound one week and gain a pound the next week.  I would increase my training volume and I would gain weight.  i would lower my training volume and lose weight.  I was doing all the right things - I was shopping around the perimeter of the store and eating only fresh foods, I had completely eliminated fried food and processed food from my diet, I was eating 6-7 times a day - yet I was battling with the scale and the scale has been winning.

I finally got to the point where I threw my hands up in disgust and said I clearly didn't understand this whole nutrition thing as well as I thought I did. and decided to reach out for some help.  My wife and I are very fortunate to be Kaiser members and enjoy what many consider to be the gold standard for health care in California.  I figured there was nothing lost in asking so I asked my doctor if it were possible to meet with a dietician.  Much to my surprise, not only did Kaiser have dieticians, but they had sports dieticians - no copay, no out of pocket, just make an appointment and go.

So I went.  I took printed copies of my food logs for the past 6-months as well as copies of my training log for the past 6-months.  I was prepared to defend my nutrition choices to the death because I KNEW I was doing everything right!  After about two minutes of looking at my logs she pulled her calculator over and started punching numbers in, then with a slight smile on her face said, "You are doing everything right except for one small little thing.  You aren't eating enough!"  By not eating enough she meant I needed at least 1,000 calories more per day!

I had heard and read about starvation mode.  I was careful to avoid having so low a caloric intake that starvation mode became an issue and it took quite a bit of convincing to get me to accept what was going on. I hadn't had any unexplained fatigue, I didn't feel a lack of energy during my workouts - how could my body be in starvation mode?  I'm not sure I completely accepted what she was saying but it finally came down to what I have been doing for the past several years isn't working so maybe it was time to try something new.

At the beginning of last week, I started my new diet, more specifically, I added 1,000 calories per day to my diet.  In the back of my mind I think I expected the scale to rapidly ascend to unknown heights.  What happened was I lost weight.  Yes, I have lost weight in the past.  But in the past, it seemed like to lose weight, I had to literally starve myself - I call it the Survivor diet.  Last week, I ate, not only did I eat, there we times I questioned how I was going to eat as much as I was told I needed to eat - and it worked.  Granted I am only a little over a week in to the new diet plan.  Per Janie's instruction, I am weighing in daily and logging it in MyFitnessPal and the weight continues to trend downward.  Who knew?

The moral of my story is that sometimes we need to reach out for expert guidance.  You may have resources available to you that you are not aware of at little or no cost.  I was shocked to learn that not only do I have access to nutritional guidance, but I have an entire team of sports nutritionists that stand ready to help me with nutrition while training and look forward to helping me formulate race day nutrition strategies.  My bad that it took over two years to begin to utilize this resource!

There is an old saying, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."  If what you are doing isn't working, maybe it is time to consider a change.  Whether it be nutrition, weight-loss, run/cycling/swimming technique, training plans, whatever.  Hopefully you won't repeat my mistake and will act before wasting a couple years.

2015-02-24 8:00 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Ran my HM in 2:17:32. Parts of it were a snowy mess and there was no place to warm up, but it was more fun than I anticipated.

Deb

Good job on your HM Deb!

I think you just proved what I have suspected for a long time - we are all just a little bit crazy!

2015-02-24 8:04 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

On top of that it looks like i may have to back out of my big goal, which is Ironman Lake Tahoe, I am deploying again and the timing is going to be very close . . .

Dan

Dan,

Thank you for wearing the uniform and protecting all of our freedom.  I can't begin to imagine the struggle that having to constantly turn your life upside down so you can deploy creates.  You are indeed a better man than me - thank you!

2015-02-24 8:48 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Deb This is a very good point! I have been using a marathon plan from a local coach that he designed for me, but there are certain workouts that are a real struggle for me. One in particular called for 2 miles easy, 3 miles at threshold, which he determined to be 8 min mile pace, that is a pretty fast pace for me at this point, add in very cold temps and icy roads where i run and I had a horrible time trying to keep that pace, I felt very discouraged and kind of took the wind from my sails for a few days! I have used BT's plans and felt very good when doing so. I like duration over pure mileage based programs, at least for me.

Dan

This sums up the distance/duration debate in a way that I think everyone will understand.  Let's imagine two runners, one that runs 8:00/mile at threshold and another that runs 12:00/mile at threshold.  Have both of them run the 5 mile workout that Dan referred to above.  The 8:00 runner will take about 40-44 minutes while the 12:00 runner will take about 60-64 minutes.  They both ran the same distance, but they did not have the same workout.  Nowhere near the same workout.

You can argue that both runners experienced the same intensity during their runs - running at threshold is about a 7 RPE or low zone 4 effort, doesn't matter what your pace is.  But that is where the similarity ends.

The 8:00 runner started out with +/- 20 minutes running aerobically followed by 24 minutes at threshold.  Meanwhile, the 12:00 runner began with 28 minutes running aerobically followed by 36 minutes at threshold.  The slower runner actually had the more intense workout even though they run slower because they spent a greater duration of time at the same intensity during the workout.  8:00 runner was at threshold 24 minutes - 12:00 runner was at threshold 36 minutes.

This is why it is better to plan your run and cycling workouts using duration rather than distance.  Instead of mileage, if this workout were written using duration it might of looked something like this:  Run 20 minutes in zone 2 followed by 30 minutes in zone 4.  That workout would be the same for anyone that does it.  Yes, the faster runner would have run further, but the intensity of both workouts would have been the same and the training stress to both of the athletes would have been the same.  The faster you are, the more you shortchange yourself by doing distance workouts versus duration workouts.

Swimming is a bit of a different animal because swimming is largely planned around intervals of a specific distance.  It has been shown repeatedly that getting in the water and swimming long durations will not apply the same training stress as swimming intervals.

So I will ask the question one final time.  Are you training by duration or are you training by distance?

2015-02-24 8:41 PM

User image

Veteran
    Kennebunkport, Qatar

Deb

Dan

The plan I used for my HM called for similar workouts at various tempos which the coach named as 5k, 10k, "comfortably hard," "steady state," and HM pace. They were defined in terms of speeds that were often impossible to meet, especially with the wind & the yaktrax etc. So over time I just figured out their equivalent in terms of HR and/or PRE. That worked much better for me. During my race I didn't even look at my pace, just the HR; and tthe pace turned out better than I would have expected.
    By the way, my report is posted:
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
    Deb

Great approach Deb, I will definitely use that to adjust my workouts and try not to kill myself trying to keep the pace my 20 something coach thinks I can keep!
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open