BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-03-17 6:25 AM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: TrainerRoad seems to be working...
Scott,

Great job on trainerroad! Looks like consistency is paying off! I need to find more time for the trainer so i'll be ready to ride if spring ever comes to the North East.
Keep up the good work!

Dan

2015-03-17 11:42 AM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Medical update--weight loss
Crazy. I've been out sick for a week with a steady fever. So Friday I went to the walk in clinic because I started worrying about a blow up over the weekend.. What a joyous experience. The first thing they do it sit you in the triage waiting room with all the other walking dead. When you finally get in to see the "medical practitioner" she spends 10 minutes giving me the health questions with all the apparent interest you might expect from a guy completing a 1040 form. Practitioner departs and in comes the main man with the white coat. He asks a couple questions, spends a bunch of time listening to my chest, declares summary judgement my illness is "flu" and sends me out the door clutching a prescription for codeine cough syrup. 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Yesterday my fever spiked to 104.5. Yes, it was miserable. My wife freaks, calls my regular clinic and finds a way to get me in. The doc asks a few questions, spends a couple of minutes listening to my lungs and immediately predicts (accurately) that pending confirmation of a chest xray she is sure I have pneumonia. I've never had pneumonia before so this is a totally new experience!

OK, I know medicine is tough, but I'm kind of pissed that the doc on Friday totally misdiagnosed my condition. I even told the guy the my lungs felt kind of weird somehow and he still missed it.

So, I'm gonna be down for a little while longer.

I guess the good news on the weight loss challenge is that I may not be working out, but I'm losing weight like crazy.

Weight loss = -4 pounds for 9 points
Workouts = 0

Steve

2015-03-17 1:23 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
Missouri

Steve - hope you're feeling better soon!

Deb - congrats on the HM PR!

Question on wetsuits - I don't currently have one but am looking into getting one in the near future.  I'm curious what kind you guys have.  I've used one twice before (rented both times) and if I stick to my plan I'll need one for at least 3-4 races over the next 18 months (plus whatever OWS practice I can get in) so it seems I'd be better off just purchasing one.  I know I can get a pretty good deal on an Xterra suit with a BT discount code.  I'm worried about the getting the right size and finding one that's comfortable.  Any recommendations for or against any particular brands?

Janet

2015-03-17 2:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: Anti-oxidant pills bad for athletes?
Just read the Science News article "For athletes, antioxidant pills may not help performance"

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/athletes-antioxidant-pills-may-n...

Unfortunately it is behind a pay wall, but the article references a host of studies that indicate taking anti-oxidant supplements like Vitamins B, C or E may actually be working against us. One researcher says

"In certain situations, loading the cell with high doses of antioxidants leads to a blunting of the positive effects of exercise."

For example, in a study where humans where given vitamin C, another researcher found:

"... those that did not receive supplements experienced a 22 percent increase in VO2 max. The vitamin C group experienced an increase of 11 percent."

There is a host of other studies with the majority (but not all) showing a neutral or negative impact on athletes from taking supplements.

Their conclusion - get your vitamins from vegetables, not pills.

I found another paper, not behind a pay wall, which seems a little more balanced in its evaluation of vitamin supplements.
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/antioxidants-and-exercise-more-...

Still, the authors conclude:

"In light of what we know about antioxidants and exercise, the trend in the data is strongly suggestive of zero benefit, at best, with the real possibility that there may be negative consequences to supplementation."

Guess its time to throw away the pills and grill up some Vegies!

Scott I.

Edited by EchoLkScott 2015-03-17 2:09 PM
2015-03-17 2:13 PM

User image

Originally posted by lutzman

Crazy. I've been out sick for a week with a steady fever. So Friday I went to the walk in clinic because I started worrying about a blow up over the weekend.. What a joyous experience. The first thing they do it sit you in the triage waiting room with all the other walking dead. When you finally get in to see the "medical practitioner" she spends 10 minutes giving me the health questions with all the apparent interest you might expect from a guy completing a 1040 form. Practitioner departs and in comes the main man with the white coat. He asks a couple questions, spends a bunch of time listening to my chest, declares summary judgement my illness is "flu" and sends me out the door clutching a prescription for codeine cough syrup. 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Yesterday my fever spiked to 104.5. Yes, it was miserable. My wife freaks, calls my regular clinic and finds a way to get me in. The doc asks a few questions, spends a couple of minutes listening to my lungs and immediately predicts (accurately) that pending confirmation of a chest xray she is sure I have pneumonia. I've never had pneumonia before so this is a totally new experience!

OK, I know medicine is tough, but I'm kind of pissed that the doc on Friday totally misdiagnosed my condition. I even told the guy the my lungs felt kind of weird somehow and he still missed it.

So, I'm gonna be down for a little while longer.

I guess the good news on the weight loss challenge is that I may not be working out, but I'm losing weight like crazy.

Weight loss = -4 pounds for 9 points
Workouts = 0

Steve

Steve, you've really had a rough week. I've had pneumonia before and it's no fun. Hope you feel better soon!

Scott I.
2015-03-17 6:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Steve, sorry to hear about the pneumonia, it sucks that you can't get a decent diagnosis the first time, too many docs are just trying to get through the numbers as fast as they can.

Today was one of those days I needed to draw on that motivation! 30+ mph winds, a guy my size doesn't exactly cut through the wind I really didn't want to head out tonight, but I did, had a decent run and now I am rewarding myself with a nice stout, probably not the best thing since I am not losing the weight I want, but I have to have some reward!

Looking forward to running in sunny California next week.

2015-03-17 7:30 PM
in reply to: matrixband12

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Weight Loss Challenge - 3/15/2015 Updated Points

Here are the updated points for the Weight Loss/Workout Challenge.  Looks like there is about to be a challenge for the top spot!

(0315_weightloss_workout.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0315_weightloss_workout.jpg (66KB - 4 downloads)
2015-03-17 7:34 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by EchoLkScott On TrainerRoad, I'm just starting the Traditional Base III. It starts with an FTP test so I get a chance to measure progress. Over the last month my FTP increased by 9.5% to 161 and my FTP/Kg increased by 13.4% to 2.37. If I keep improving at this pace, I might eventually have some respectable power numbers!

Scott I.

Scott,

That is a great improvement in only a month!  So is it safe to assume you are becoming a believer in training with power?

2015-03-17 7:53 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

Steve

Steve,

In a word, that sucks!

I had pneumonia a few years ago.  Came out of nowhere.  It seemed like it took forever to completely get over it.  I know, not what you wanted to hear.  In actuality, I was over the illness in about a week, but it took a couple more weeks to get my strength back.

Stay positive my friend, this too shall pass.

2015-03-17 7:58 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

Question on wetsuits - I don't currently have one but am looking into getting one in the near future.  I'm curious what kind you guys have.  I've used one twice before (rented both times) and if I stick to my plan I'll need one for at least 3-4 races over the next 18 months (plus whatever OWS practice I can get in) so it seems I'd be better off just purchasing one.  I know I can get a pretty good deal on an Xterra suit with a BT discount code.  I'm worried about the getting the right size and finding one that's comfortable.  Any recommendations for or against any particular brands?

Janet

Hey Janet,

My first wetsuit I rented from http://www.wetsuitrental.com/.  They have a program where you can turn a rental into a purchase.  Like you, I was concerned about getting one that fit properly since I am 6'5" tall.  I don't recall all the brands they carry but they are good wetsuits.

My current wetsuit is an Xterra.  I used the BT discount code and got a good price.  I called them up and talked to one of their sales people, gave them my measurements and they sent me a wetsuit that fits perfectly.

Hope that helps.

2015-03-17 8:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Shoulder Follow-Up

Had a doctor appointment today.  The doc gave me the green light to start EASY trainer rides tomorrow.

Hmmm, he didn't actually define easy.  So does that mean low zone 4 is ok since it isn't all out? 

Just glad to no longer be sitting on the side lines while you all are racking up workout minutes!

Edited by k9car363 2015-03-17 8:21 PM

2015-03-17 9:50 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Originally posted by k9car363

Scott,

That is a great improvement in only a month!  So is it safe to assume you are becoming a believer in training with power?

Yes, I'm now a big believer in training with power!

Scott I.
2015-03-18 10:06 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 3/15/2015 Check-In

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Scott - Glad to hear your surgery went well.  Did you get some abalone?

George,

No I didn't get any abalone.  I didn't realize that abalone had been over harvested and is now on the endangered species list.  I remember back, just a few years ago when you looked underwater in Catalina and pretty much all you saw on the bottom were abalone.  Not any more.  It is still available but it is the farm raised variety and it goes for over $80 per pound so no restaurants have it on the menu any more.  Oh well, had some wonderful Cioppino instead.

2015-03-18 3:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
I found my motivation

(Motivation.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Motivation.jpg (86KB - 6 downloads)
2015-03-18 3:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar

Janet

Janet ,

I have a Xterra also, I used their online sizing chart and the wetsuit fits very well. I have had no problems with my wet suit over the last 3 years, I have had friends with much more expensive wetsuits that haven't had as good of results with theirs, I'll be ordering another soon.

Dan
2015-03-18 6:02 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

Janet

The good thing about xterra is that you can order one, swim in it, and then send it back if necessary. I did that, got both the full sleeved and the sleeveless, but neither one fit right so back they went. My very experienced swim teacher says the fabric on the xterra is thinner and tears more easily than most.
I ended up buying a Blue Seventy full sleeve, which I like. I bought it at my local tri store & tried it on first. I think that if I weren't swimming at times in very cold water, I'd get the sleeveless. My 100's, by the way, were about 15" faster with the wetsuit than without.
Deb

2015-03-18 6:30 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Mountaindan I found my motivation

I wonder who had the greater motivation, the bear to get dinner or the rider to miss dinner. 

(Motivation.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Motivation.jpg (79KB - 5 downloads)
2015-03-18 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
MY money is on the bear! I've seen them in action, impressive speed for big guys
2015-03-18 10:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Love the "Motivation" photo.  

Steve - Sorry to hear about the pneumonia.  I got it two years ago and tried to return to the pool too soon and I lost another 4 weeks to it.  Don't go back until you're 100%.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     I went into Oroville, Washington today.  What a fantastic day for the drive.  Lots of cyclists and runners out on both sides of the border.  Our road shoulders are all swept so no gravel to contend with either.

Kris - On the wetsuit issue.  I bought a Blue Seventy Fusion 3 yrs ago and I love it.  Over 100 OWS later and it looks brand new.  I swim with a young fellow that bought a Huub wetsuit and he loved his as well.  It really helps to try some on and see what feels best. 

2015-03-19 11:20 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by Mountaindan

I found my motivation

The cyclist should do a quick turn-around and go downhill.
Then the bear can eat the photographer!
Deb
2015-03-19 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Janet

Hey Janet,

My first wetsuit I rented from http://www.wetsuitrental.com/.  They have a program where you can turn a rental into a purchase.  Like you, I was concerned about getting one that fit properly since I am 6'5" tall.  I don't recall all the brands they carry but they are good wetsuits.

My current wetsuit is an Xterra.  I used the BT discount code and got a good price.  I called them up and talked to one of their sales people, gave them my measurements and they sent me a wetsuit that fits perfectly.

Hope that helps.

Both times I rented it was from wetsuitrental - one time they sent me a Blue Seventy and I think the other was an Xterra(?).  They have a used Aqua Sphere for sale right now that looks like it would fit me (based on the sizing they give), it's $150.00 which seems like a good price.  It's tempting but I still worry about the fit.  With the 30 day return policy though, I may go ahead and try it.  

Janet

2015-03-20 7:35 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Spring is Here!

Hey everyone!

Well, it is official.  Spring has sprung!

I know some of you are still dealing with some inclement weather, but for the rest of us, it is beginning to look like training outdoors is an option.

I am stuck on the trainer for several more weeks unfortunately, but maybe some of you are venturing out on your bike for the first time in a long time?

What's on your agenda this weekend?

2015-03-20 7:37 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by ok2try
Originally posted by Mountaindan I found my motivation

The cyclist should do a quick turn-around and go downhill. Then the bear can eat the photographer! Deb

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Winner!

Photographer was probably a paparazzi anyway.

2015-03-20 9:55 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Spring is Here!

Hey everyone!

Well, it is official.  Spring has sprung!

I know some of you are still dealing with some inclement weather, but for the rest of us, it is beginning to look like training outdoors is an option.

I am stuck on the trainer for several more weeks unfortunately, but maybe some of you are venturing out on your bike for the first time in a long time?

What's on your agenda this weekend?

Hopefully, sickness recovery. Saw the doc today and she said my lungs sound much better. Even said I can do an easy bike ride or hike if I take it really easy. Claw back time has started!

Have great weekend everyone.

Steve
2015-03-21 7:06 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Spring is Here!
Scott, Steve;

Glad to hear you are both back in the training game, even if in a limited capacity. I remember how unhappy I was when I was forced to sit out, so I guess any training is a cause for optimism!

We welcomed Spring with a 3 inch snowfall here, so I'll be mostly indoors for a bit longer. The good news is that I finally felt like I knew how to swim last night during our Friday night tri club practice. I didn't go that hard, but felt noticeably more comfortable in the water and my breathing was much easier. I"m hoping that translates into a good swim in Sunday morning's indoor tri club event. And no matter my results, the post race breakfast will be a winner.

Hope everyone has a great weekend - and please send some Spring weather to the East.

Dave
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open