BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-03-21 8:16 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Spring is Here!
Originally posted by k9car363

Hey everyone!

Well, it is official.  Spring has sprung!

I know some of you are still dealing with some inclement weather, but for the rest of us, it is beginning to look like training outdoors is an option.

I am stuck on the trainer for several more weeks unfortunately, but maybe some of you are venturing out on your bike for the first time in a long time?

What's on your agenda this weekend?

More snow, but I know the end is in sight.
For me, I.m sick in bed with a bad GI upset. My goal for the weekend is to get enough fluids to stay inside so that I don't become dehydrated. Darn!
Deb

2015-03-21 8:41 AM

User image

Hey everyone!

I know some of you are still dealing with some inclement weather, but for the rest of us, it is beginning to look like training outdoors is an option.

I am stuck on the trainer for several more weeks unfortunately, but maybe some of you are venturing out on your bike for the first time in a long time?

Our tri club has a Poker Run this morning. There's a 1.5 mile loop and you get a card for every completed loop. Best poker hand wins. I've never done one of these before, but it sounds like fun!

Steve and Scott - glad to hear you two are on the mend!

Scott I.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You aren't old until age becomes your excuse." Joe Friel
2015-03-21 1:57 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

My first official cycling event was this morning and I loved it! I did the ride 2 recovery honor ride for disabled vets, and signed up for 40 miler. It was mostly on a public exercise trail, with way too many overpass bridges (15 climbs & descends). Total mileage was 38.75 miles, which I did in 2.5 hours. It wasn't a race but I averaged a comfortable 15.2 mph, which gives me something to work on, looking ahead to my 70.3. I felt great and probably could have done the 60 mile option, but I didn't want to push it. My only regret is that I didn't have any friends doing it with me. My cycling shorts protected my privates well, and my legs don't feel too bad. I highly recommend this event, which happens in other cities, to others. Now I need to look for another event like this.
5 weeks until St Anthony's tri. ??
2015-03-21 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Hey everyone!

Speaking of Spring, this morning I enjoyed one of my annual rites of Spring, running the Chalottesville 10 miler. Oldest road race in town and always a fun and challenging race. Did better than expected given my recent training and back issues. Managed to keep a steady sub 9:00 pace throughout and improved on last year's time (which was nothing to write home about) by 2 min.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Also marks the official start of triathlon season for me. Hoping to get out for a real bike ride tomorrow. Can't get in the mountains yet, but will go to a local resort area to bike where they have leash laws.

But more importantly, daughter is coming home tomorrow evening, so am very much looking forward to a few days with her!

Happy weekend, everyone!
Stu
2015-03-22 9:06 AM

User image

Subject: Weight Loss Challenge - 3/22/2015 Check-In

Hey Everyone -

Here is the more detailed breakdown I promised for the Weight Loss/Workout Challenge.

How you earn points -

• +5 points for no weight gain
  • +/- 1 point per pound lost/gained, or fraction thereof
  • +1 point for every 30 workout minutes

Weight stayed at 149 and I exercised 11hrs 21min (200 min swimming, 330 min biking, and 151 min running). So, my points for the week:

• +5 points for no weight gain
  • +0 points for 0 pounds lost
  • +22.7 point for 681 workout minutes
  • Total: 27.7 points

A pretty good training week, although I still didn't lose any weight. Thankfully, the Girl Scout cookies are finally gone so maybe next week will go better.

Scott I.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

2015-03-22 10:54 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: TrainerRoad
After all the discussion about trainerroad, I looked into it a little bit. I have a question for those of you who use it:
I don't have, nor am I about to buy, a power meter, but I see the program allows for "virtual power" using certain trainers. I have been thinking about upgrading my trainer anyway, since it was pretty bottom-of-the-line when I got it a few years ago. So I could get one of the Kurt Kinetics, probably the cheaper one, and try the program. People here seem to be doing well with it.
Have any of you gone the virtual power route, or do you all have power taps or other meters?
Deb

2015-03-22 1:50 PM

Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 3/22/2015 Check-In
Report from Tom

5 points no weight gain
1 point lost one pound for awhile
17 points for 8.5 hours exercise

23 points

not a bad week

Swam 2000 yards in 34:05 in pool with fins as time trial

Hope you all had good week

2015-03-22 3:34 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Originally posted by ok2try

After all the discussion about trainerroad, I looked into it a little bit. I have a question for those of you who use it:
I don't have, nor am I about to buy, a power meter, but I see the program allows for "virtual power" using certain trainers. I have been thinking about upgrading my trainer anyway, since it was pretty bottom-of-the-line when I got it a few years ago. So I could get one of the Kurt Kinetics, probably the cheaper one, and try the program. People here seem to be doing well with it.
Have any of you gone the virtual power route, or do you all have power taps or other meters?
Deb

Deb,

I use virtual power with the Kurt Kinetic road machine. You don't want the Kinetic Magnetic or the Kinetic Cyclone, but the Kinetic Road Machine and the Kinetic Rock and Roll work well with virtual power. You will also need to get a speed/cadence sensor, but they aren't very expensive.

The virtual power is very self consistent as long as you always use the same trainer, tire pressure, etc. If you increase your power by 10W it will correctly show an increase of 10W. However, it isn't always accurate. If it says I'm generating 200W I may actually be generating anywhere from 160W to 240W. Because it consistently and correctly shows the change in power, it works well for training. The lack of accuracy is only a problem if you compare your virtual power numbers with power-meter numbers (yours, or your friends).

Scott I.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015-03-22 4:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by EchoLkScott

Deb

Deb,

I use virtual power with the Kurt Kinetic road machine. You don't want the Kinetic Magnetic or the Kinetic Cyclone, but the Kinetic Road Machine and the Kinetic Rock and Roll work well with virtual power. You will also need to get a speed/cadence sensor, but they aren't very expensive.

The virtual power is very self consistent as long as you always use the same trainer, tire pressure, etc. If you increase your power by 10W it will correctly show an increase of 10W. However, it isn't always accurate. If it says I'm generating 200W I may actually be generating anywhere from 160W to 240W. Because it consistently and correctly shows the change in power, it works well for training. The lack of accuracy is only a problem if you compare your virtual power numbers with power-meter numbers (yours, or your friends).

Scott I.

Thanks, Scott. I am looking at the KK Road Machine. Do you have to get the Kinetic InRide Watt meter as well to use the trainerroads software? I already have a Cat-eye for speed/cadence sensing
Deb

Edited by ok2try 2015-03-22 4:13 PM
2015-03-22 6:19 PM
in reply to: matrixband12

User image

Hi All

Highlight of the week for me was volunteering at IRONMAN Melbourne. I've posted a write up:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Didn't leave much time for any workouts but the weight remained the same. 5 points for me.

Hopefully I'll get the chance to train this week.
2015-03-22 6:53 PM

User image

Thanks, Scott. I am looking at the KK Road Machine. Do you have to get the Kinetic InRide Watt meter as well to use the trainerroads software? I already have a Cat-eye for speed/cadence sensing
Deb

No, I don't have the Kinetic InRide Watt meter. All you need is a speed sensor.

Scott I.

2015-03-22 6:56 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hi All

Highlight of the week for me was volunteering at IRONMAN Melbourne. I've posted a write up:

Didn't leave much time for any workouts but the weight remained the same. 5 points for me.

Rod,

Sounds like fun. What did you do?

Scott I.

2015-03-22 7:00 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Deb

Hi Deb,

I will take a swing at explaining this.

First, you need a trainer and a speed sensor.  On the Trainer Road site you can verify if your equipment will work.  The Kurt Kinetic Road Machine works very well with Trainer Road.  You will also need an ANT+ or Bluetooth speed sensor.  You do not need an actual power meter nor do you need the Kinetic InRide Watt Meter.  Because Trainer Road can estimate virtual power reasonably well with equipment that most serious triathletes already own it a very attractive training tool.

Now, on the the precision/accuracy debate.  When I signed up for Trainer Road back in January, the first thing I did was an 8-minute FTP test.  I was very concerned when my results came in 47 watts higher than the 20-minute test I had just done a couple of weeks previously so I immediately found myself neck deep in the accuracy/precision question.  The first week of training I did with Trainer Road after the FTP test, I made sure I had my Garmin Edge on and I paired Trainer Road so I could record the Trainer Road power output and compare it to my Vector power meter numbers.  As it turned out, Trainer Road consistently showed 32 watts higher than my Vectors.  That troubled me deeply.  Being a techno nerd (I am after all an I.T. Consultant), and because I am somewhat anal about things like this, I simply had to explain the large difference and figure out which one was the accurate result.

Accuracy - how close a measured value is to the actual (true) value.

Precision- how close a series of measurements are to each other.

Then I realized that I was asking the wrong question.  In reality, there is no way for anyone short of an engineer with a lab full of equipment to tell if Trainer Road, or any power meter for that matter, are 'accurate.'  What is important is whether a power meter, or Trainer Road's virtual power, are precise, also known as consistent - i.e. reporting the same power number for the same input.  At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what the power meter (including TR) is reporting - it could be .  If every time you put in 'X' effort you get out, then the device is consistent.  Then, the next time, when you put in 'X + 5' the device will report ' + 5' and you will see an improvement.  If the device, or Trainer Road, are precise, then they are suitable for training.

Once I came to that realization, I did another 20-minute FTP test (outdoors using my Vectors) and it came back 15 watts higher than the test I had done 3-weeks previously.    Just that fast, my universe was back in alignment as I had figured out where the discrepancy had come from.  One or both of my devices are not accurate, but they are both precise.

Assuming your tire pressure and roller pressure are the same each time, Trainer Road has been shown to be very precise. 

More importantly, people that consistently use Trainer Road and follow one of their plans consistently show improvement.

My short answer to your question is I use Vector power meters outdoors or when racing and use Trainer Road virtual power indoors on the trainer.

Hope that helps.

Edited by k9car363 2015-03-22 7:29 PM
2015-03-22 7:02 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Lost 1.2 pounds.

Had 6.2 hours on the trainer.  Have never been so happy to spend 6+ hours on the trainer!

2015-03-22 7:03 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

More snow, but I know the end is in sight.

For me, I.m sick in bed with a bad GI upset. My goal for the weekend is to get enough fluids to stay inside so that I don't become dehydrated. Darn!

Deb

I likely would have had a stronger word than "Darn!"

Hope your feeling better soon Deb.

2015-03-23 6:50 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
This weeks numbers: 368 training minutes for 12pts, no weight gain or loss for 5 pts.
total= 17 points.

Did an indoor event with my local club on Sunday. I was happy with my result because I managed a 90 second improvement in swim segment over last year's number, so even though I'm still pretty slow in the water, I'm improving.

The snow is finally melting here, so I'm planning to start running outdoors again this week.

Happy training.

Dave

2015-03-23 8:39 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Spring has not sprung here yet up in Boston. Temps still in the 20-30s and this snow will just not melt and go away.

Worst winter ever to try and train for my first marathon.

Was finally able to run outside last week and ran 15 miles on a fairly clear hilly low traffic road in a state park near my house and did another 16 miles this week. I would have preferred something flatter but hey, you take what you can get.

I think slow and steady finishes the race is going to be my motto.

I was never a big treadmill person but I think it was a smart way to go this winter.

Hope everyone is doing well.
2015-03-23 12:57 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

Deb

No, I don't have the Kinetic InRide Watt meter. All you need is a speed sensor.

Scott I.

OK, I'm getting closer to understanding this. I guess I'm orderiing the KK Road Machine trainer, maybe today. I see from the trainerroads website that my speed/cadence sensor is not compatible. (It's a wireless Cateye, but not an ANT device.) So I'll need to replace it.
Scott & Scott, you've been so helpful; any recommendations? What sensor do youi use?
I use my Polar for HR & GPS when outside, so I don't think I want to invest in a different big system.
Also, I do have an iphone & I see there is a trainerroad iphone app, but I don't know how that would fit into the scheme of things.
I am slightly afraid that I'll have so much crap wired to my bike that it'll be too much trouble to take it down & ride outside! ( I do have 2 bikes, one set up road and the other aero, but I do like to switch them off when I go outside. If I ever get to go outside again. 12° here this morning. )
Thanks again for your help.
Deb
2015-03-23 1:45 PM

User image

OK, I'm getting closer to understanding this. I guess I'm orderiing the KK Road Machine trainer, maybe today. I see from the trainerroads website that my speed/cadence sensor is not compatible. (It's a wireless Cateye, but not an ANT device.) So I'll need to replace it.
Scott & Scott, you've been so helpful; any recommendations? What sensor do youi use?
I use my Polar for HR & GPS when outside, so I don't think I want to invest in a different big system.
Also, I do have an iphone & I see there is a trainerroad iphone app, but I don't know how that would fit into the scheme of things.
I am slightly afraid that I'll have so much crap wired to my bike that it'll be too much trouble to take it down & ride outside! ( I do have 2 bikes, one set up road and the other aero, but I do like to switch them off when I go outside. If I ever get to go outside again. 12° here this morning. )
Thanks again for your help.
Deb

Deb,

I use the iPhone app with a Wahoo Bluetooth speed and cadence sensor ($60 from Amazon). I also have a Wahoo Tickr Bluetooth heart-rate monitor, but that it optional. The iPhone app works really well IMO - very easy to connect with the sensors. I access TrainerRoad.com to determine which ride I'm doing based on the training plan and to analyze the data for my "career" after the ride.

Scott I.
2015-03-23 1:51 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by ok2try Thanks, Scott. I am looking at the KK Road Machine. Do you have to get the Kinetic InRide Watt meter as well to use the trainerroads software? I already have a Cat-eye for speed/cadence sensing Deb
No, I don't have the Kinetic InRide Watt meter. All you need is a speed sensor. Scott I.
OK, I'm getting closer to understanding this. I guess I'm orderiing the KK Road Machine trainer, maybe today. I see from the trainerroads website that my speed/cadence sensor is not compatible. (It's a wireless Cateye, but not an ANT device.) So I'll need to replace it. Scott & Scott, you've been so helpful; any recommendations? What sensor do youi use? I use my Polar for HR & GPS when outside, so I don't think I want to invest in a different big system. Also, I do have an iphone & I see there is a trainerroad iphone app, but I don't know how that would fit into the scheme of things. I am slightly afraid that I'll have so much crap wired to my bike that it'll be too much trouble to take it down & ride outside! ( I do have 2 bikes, one set up road and the other aero, but I do like to switch them off when I go outside. If I ever get to go outside again. 12° here this morning. ) Thanks again for your help. Deb

Deb,

I recommend Garmin.  Here is a link to Amazon for the speed sensor:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-12103-00-Bike-Speed-Sensor/dp/B00JLMS848/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427135979&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+speed+sensor

Here is a link to Amazon for the speed/cadence sensor:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Bike-Speed-Sensor-Cadence/dp/B00JM6DKUA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427135979&sr=8-2&keywords=garmin+speed+sensor

Finally, you will also need an ANT+ dongle for your computer.  Mine came with my Garmin watch so the watch could talk to garmin express and upload to garmin connect.  Here is an Amazon link for the ANT+ dongle if you don't already have one:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-USB-Stick-Fitness-Devices/dp/B00CM381SQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427135854&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+ant%2B+dongle

As to, "I am slightly afraid that I'll have so much crap wired to my bike that it'll be too much trouble to take it down & ride outside!"  There isn't anything that is wired to the bike as everything is wireless and in reality it is only the speed sensor..  I put my bike on the trainer, turn on my laptop, open trainer road, choose my workout, and go.  When I am done, I take my bike outside and ride.  No hassle either way.

Trainer Road will pair with your speed sensor through the ANT+ dongle I referred to above.  It will also pair to any other ANT+ devices you may have.  I also use a cadence sensor, which is invaluable to me, as well as a HR monitor.  Trainer Road will pair with all of them and display their output on the training screen.  (Note on other ANT+ devices - Polar doesn't always play nice with other manufacturer devices so I can't speak to Polar's compatibility).

It doesn't take that long to get things setup and working properly.  Trust me, it is well worth any inconvenience that setting it up may present!  If you run into a problem getting it setup, send me a private message and I will help walk you through it (remember I do the technology thing for a living and I will be happy to help you get it functioning).

Edited by k9car363 2015-03-23 1:53 PM
2015-03-23 6:06 PM

User image

Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hi All

Rod,

Sounds like fun. What did you do?

Scott I.

Hi Scott,

Click on the link in the post to read about what I did.

2015-03-23 10:14 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Weight Loss Challenge:

Recovery week   211 min = 7 points

No wt loss or gain =             5 points

Total                                   12 points

Going back to the motivational question - I never noticed before this last week but working out is very motivational during build weeks but slow recovery weeks are really hard to keep up motivation.  I'm actually glad to be back to regular schedule again.

Spring has sprung here.  Dandelions and cherry blossoms are out and tulips won't be far behind.  Had a great swim and run (hills) today.  First outdoor ride tomorrow.

2015-03-24 2:32 AM
in reply to: #5075155

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED
Late again, on vacation and on the go.
330 min workout, holding steady on the weight.
12 points total
2015-03-24 2:38 AM
in reply to: #5102944

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Deb
Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but you would also need an ANT stick for tour computer, it goes in your USB port to communicate with your speed and cadence sensor. I have a wahoo speed and cadence sensor, I picked up everything on amazon pretty cheap. The wahoo is an all I'm one sensor. We'll worth it in my opinion.
Dan
2015-03-24 7:23 AM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Originally posted by Mountaindan

Deb
Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but you would also need an ANT stick for tour computer, it goes in your USB port to communicate with your speed and cadence sensor. I have a wahoo speed and cadence sensor, I picked up everything on amazon pretty cheap. The wahoo is an all I'm one sensor. We'll worth it in my opinion.
Dan

The iPhone (4s or later) has built-in Bluetooth so no ANT stick is needed (assuming the speed sensor is Bluetooth). Otherwise, yes you need either an ANT stick or a very specific Bluetooth stick (instructions are on TrainerRoad.com).

Scott I.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open