BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-05-14 3:02 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: I'm screwed
Been busy and a step behind here lately....

Steve,

Now THAT is a mending plate!

Deb,

Nice work on the R/B/R/B/R! Sure looks like you nailed your plan. Congrats.

Scott I. - Have fun at training camp. Sounds like a great idea.

Nice weather is forecast for around here this weekend and my wife is going to be away. That means two days of yard work, training and naps for me. Just maybe not in that order.

Happy training.

Dave

2015-05-15 6:02 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by DJP_19

Nice weather is forecast for around here this weekend and my wife is going to be away. That means two days of yard work, training and naps for me. Just maybe not in that order.

Happy training.

Dave

I like naps.
2015-05-15 7:58 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Off to CdA training camp

Originally posted by EchoLkScott

Hi Grays,

Anyone racing this weekend?

This morning I'm driving to Coeur d'Alene for a 3-day training camp on the Ironman course. The camp is mostly for those members of our tri-club that are competing in the CdA Ironman in June, but there a few of us preparing for HIM's later in the season. Weather looks good - high temperatures around 70 and winds below 10mph. Should be fun!

Scott,

Have a good time this weekend!  Always nice to see the course BEFORE race day!

2015-05-15 8:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by JREDFLY

Happy training.

Dave

I like naps.

My problem with naps is I lay there, thinking about all of the things I should be doing besides taking a nap.  The end result is I don't take a nap and get up more stressed than if I hadn't tried to take a nap in the first place.  

Maybe my wife is right and I am OCD!

Edited by k9car363 2015-05-15 8:02 AM
2015-05-15 5:35 PM
in reply to: #5075155

User image

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED
First day done. I did one lap of the bike course (plus a little): 57.4 miles and 5200 feet of climbing in 3:40. I then did a slow/easy run over part of the run course (48 minutes for roughly 4 miles). I'm tired, but I feel good.
2015-05-16 12:26 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED

First day done. I did one lap of the bike course (plus a little): 57.4 miles and 5200 feet of climbing in 3:40. I then did a slow/easy run over part of the run course (48 minutes for roughly 4 miles). I'm tired, but I feel good.

That's a heckuva camp, Scott. Do you at least get s'mores in the evening?
Steve, what a lovely shoulder. I hope it all works perfectly after your healing period. And yes, you probably will get wanded every time you fly.
Dave, hope you're having a great weekend. I love my husband, but I do enjoy it when he's away. As long as our two (adopted) kids are gone too!
As for me, for fun on FRiday I swam 1600 in our pond, water temp 63°, air temp 44°. My first tri of the season is in 3 weeks and the water temp is bound to be in the low 60's. I was feeling quite nervous about it, but now I know what it'll feel like. Cold, but ok. Although in the RI before the last 200, I remember noticing I was quite chilled. (Scott, rest assured I didn't swim the 1600 continuous but in 100's & 200's.) I probably should have fotten out then, because when I got done I was light-headed & disoriented. I thought, "Good thing I'm only doing the sprint not the Olympic because I could never get on a bike right now & ride."
Hopefully I'll have 2 or 3 more opportunities to swim in that temp before the race. The pond, being small, warms up quickly after a few days of hot weather. A week ago it was 75°. (It's 1/3 acre, and across & back is conveniently 100 yards.)
An observation on recovery: as I've slowly recovered this week I've paid more careful attention to a marker I thought I'd noticed in the past. After a race, my body weight always jumps up 2 or 3 pounds and slowly declines over several days. When it's back at my pre-race weight is pretty much when I'm fully recovered.
Have a good week, everyone.
Deb

2015-05-16 7:01 PM
in reply to: #5115835

User image

Subject: 2nd day of IM CDA camp
Long ride today: 83.2 miles in 5+ hours. I almost did the full course (2 laps) but on one of the shorter climbs my legs made it clear I shouldn't do the long climb. I followed that up with a short (1.5 mile) run and a 10 minute soak in the lake (waist down). The water temp is 52 degrees but my legs felt much better afterward.

Tomorrow is a short ride and a longish run.

Great fun!

Scott I.
2015-05-17 4:52 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: 2nd day of IM CDA camp

Long ride today: 83.2 miles in 5+ hours. I almost did the full course (2 laps) but on one of the shorter climbs my legs made it clear I shouldn't do the long climb. I followed that up with a short (1.5 mile) run and a 10 minute soak in the lake (waist down). The water temp is 52 degrees but my legs felt much better afterward.

Tomorrow is a short ride and a longish run.

Great fun!

Scott I.

What a great camp. It sounds like you will be well-prepared for the race.
Deb
2015-05-17 7:43 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Scott,

I'm trying to imagine what 83 cycling miles followed by a run feels like. I'll bet you had no trouble sleeping last night after that workout!

Dave

2015-05-17 9:23 PM

User image

I'm trying to imagine what 83 cycling miles followed by a run feels like. I'll bet you had no trouble sleeping last night after that workout!

Yeh, Dave, I had no idea I could actually do that either. It wasn't a very energetic run - but I was able to do it. And, nothing hurt afterward!
2015-05-17 9:27 PM

User image

Subject: Last day of IM CDA camp
Today was just a run for me - 8.2 miles at a slow steady pace (10:20/mile). I was amazed that I could still run after the previous two days, but it felt pretty good! I'm home now. Tomorrow is a rest day.

2015-05-18 9:32 AM

User image

Subject: Reflections on IM CDA camp
The camp was a great experience. Much better than I expected. About half of us (4 women, 2 men, and two coaches) stayed together in a rented house and the energy in the house was really contagious.

I was, by far, the least experienced of the campers. Most had done at least one Ironman. Coach Brad Williams had done every IMCDA since it's inception 13 years ago. The most experienced camper was Dr. Mark Song from San Clemente California. He has been doing Ironman competitions since the mid-eighties.

Every evening the whole group got together at the house for a learning session. Friday night was a question and answer session with the coaches and Saturday was a more formal classroom-like training session. There was a lot of information covered, but here is a taste of what we learned.

The four keys of Ironman Triathlon Racing:

1. The Race Day is About Execution, Not Fitness.

2. Nothing Matters Until the Line at Mile 18.
Mile 18 in the run is where it becomes very, very difficult to continue the race. Success is not slowing down after mile 18. Good race execution creates conditions for success at this point. A successful race == a good run.

3. Place Your Head and Fitness Inside the Box.
Inside the box is what you can control. You can't control the weather, other competitors, flat tires, or a host of other things that happen during the race. Let go of the rest and focus on what you can control.

4. Prepare Your ONE THING.
Your One Thing is your personal answer to the question "Why am I doing this race?". It may actually be multiple answers. After mile 18 (perhaps before) your body will try to convince your mind that you should quit. Your One Thing is your minds argument for continuing the race. They suggest you rehearse this conversation between your mind and body several times before the race so your ready when the time comes.

There was much more information, but this post is already too long.

The camp was great fun! I'd recommend it to anyone!
2015-05-18 4:20 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Reflections on IM CDA camp
Scott,
Thank you for sharing so much of what you learned. It sounds terrific.
Deb
2015-05-18 8:20 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

The camp was a great experience. Much better than I expected. 

Hey Scott,

Sounds like you had a great time at the camp!

I sent you a private message re the camp when you get a chance.

2015-05-19 6:35 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

The camp was a great experience. Much better than I expected. About half of us (4 women, 2 men, and two coaches) stayed together in a rented house and the energy in the house was really contagious.

The four keys of Ironman Triathlon Racing:

Thanks for sharing Scott. Sounds like a fantastic experience. Those keys are good for many things in life! (Mile 18 being that moment you hit the wall in any difficult goal).

Stu
2015-05-20 9:05 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: nutrition for 70.3
Hi gang,

I'm in week six of my HIM training plan and starting to work on nutrition options for longer races. I'm experimenting at this point. It seems like I can carry enough fuel (800 cal) in bottles for what I expect to be about a 3-3.5 hour bike ride. I plan to carry a small shot sized bottle to hold enough gel servings (4) for the run.

On the bike, I've tried Hammer Perpetuem and like it so far, but am wondering about any downside. My LBS guy advised that some triathletes don't like it, since it can break down and spoil. He suggested starting with a frozen bottle that will thaw during the race.

That said, I have a couple questions for my fellow Gray athletes:

For the bike: I'm wondering if anyone here has tried Perpetuem, and if so, any feedback? Other options you like better?
Regarding the run: I carry a belt with water bottles plus gel during extended training runs, but was thinking I'd rely on aid stations for water during the race. Is this a mistake?

Thanks,
Dave

Edited by DJP_19 2015-05-20 9:06 AM

2015-05-20 7:59 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: nutrition for 70.3

For the bike: I'm wondering if anyone here has tried Perpetuem, and if so, any feedback? Other options you like better? Regarding the run: I carry a belt with water bottles plus gel during extended training runs, but was thinking I'd rely on aid stations for water during the race. Is this a mistake?

Thanks, Dave

You might look into Infinit Nutrition.  https://www.infinitnutrition.us/

You wouldn't have to carry gels and if you are already going to carry water on the run, you would be covered for the run also.  With Infinit you can create a custom blend specifically for you.  It really isn't that much more expensive than other sports drinks on the market and it is truly a one bottle covers everything solution.  They have premixed blends or you can answer a couple questions and form your own.

Best nutrition solution I know of.

2015-05-21 2:32 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Scott,

I took a quick look at the site. Might be a very simple solution for me. Even the customizing seems fairly easy.

Thanks for passing along.

Dave
2015-05-21 11:02 PM

User image

Hi gang,

I'm in week six of my HIM training plan and starting to work on nutrition options for longer races. I'm experimenting at this point. It seems like I can carry enough fuel (800 cal) in bottles for what I expect to be about a 3-3.5 hour bike ride. I plan to carry a small shot sized bottle to hold enough gel servings (4) for the run.

On the bike, I've tried Hammer Perpetuem and like it so far, but am wondering about any downside. My LBS guy advised that some triathletes don't like it, since it can break down and spoil. He suggested starting with a frozen bottle that will thaw during the race.

For the bike: I'm wondering if anyone here has tried Perpetuem, and if so, any feedback? Other options you like better?
Regarding the run: I carry a belt with water bottles plus gel during extended training runs, but was thinking I'd rely on aid stations for water during the race. Is this a mistake?

Dave,

I'm also interested in this question. Unfortunately, I don't really has a lot of advice to offer. I will, however, share with you the latest fad at the CdA training camp. For the bike, people were mixing two bottles of Ensure (the stuff they advertise on TV), with 4 gels (I did two Expresso Love's and two Vanilla Beans), and topping off with coffee. Mix it well the night before and freeze it. It's then a 1000 calorie slushy (with caffeine) that can be consumed on the bike. I don't know about the science behind this drink, but I tried it and it tasted good (like a vanilla mocha latte).

On the run, the consensus is to live off the course. Consume the water and the nutrition they offer at the aid stations.

I'd like to hear what others think.
2015-05-22 6:43 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Dave, I'm also interested in this question. Unfortunately, I don't really has a lot of advice to offer. I will, however, share with you the latest fad at the CdA training camp. For the bike, people were mixing two bottles of Ensure (the stuff they advertise on TV), with 4 gels (I did two Expresso Love's and two Vanilla Beans), and topping off with coffee. Mix it well the night before and freeze it. It's then a 1000 calorie slushy (with caffeine) that can be consumed on the bike. I don't know about the science behind this drink, but I tried it and it tasted good (like a vanilla mocha latte). On the run, the consensus is to live off the course. Consume the water and the nutrition they offer at the aid stations. I'd like to hear what others think.

I prefer the Infinit because then I don't have to guess.  You can customize the blend to include however much, or however little, caffeine, protein, carbs, electrolytes, etc. that you want/need.  While I do take in some solid food on the bike, Infinit is the base of my nutrition on the bike.  I also have a few gels in a Rocket Pocket - just in case something happens to my Infinit (It happens.  Mirinda Carfrae lost a bottle of her nutrition blend on the bike a couple years ago in Kona which likely cost her the race).

The run however becomes another question.  I agree with "living off the course" as I don't want to have to carry liquid.  That said, what happens if you don't tolerate the nutrition they are serving on the course?  If you even know what they are serving on the course.  I believe in the adage, "Nothing new on race day."  The quickest way to risk a major problem is putting something new in your mouth when your body is in distress like it would be half-way through the run on a HIM or IM.  I carry and use gels on the run and hydrate with what is available on the course.

2015-05-22 5:27 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington

Hi gang,

Thanks,
Dave

Dave--regarding carrying your own gels or grazing on the course--The HIM experience seems to be a bit different than the standard half-marathon. My experience with HM's is they maybe offer gels one time on course...at the half way point or later. In an HIM event, they seem pretty focused on providing opportunities for caloric input at multiple aid stations multiple times. So, I would fully expect that hydration on the run will not be a problem and carrying your own will simply add weight.

With regard to calories, I guess it depends on how sensitive you have found your stomach in other events. If you haven't been bothered by grabbing calories on the go in other races, I would think you would be just fine grabbing whatever gels they offer at the aid stations. If your tummy is a bit sensitive, then I would definitely not take any chances on race day.

As you've noted, you'll really want to watch your calorie intake on the bike. It's really easy to empty your tank by not getting enough calories. You might not notice the effect on the bike, but when you hit the run you'll be dead man walking. In my first HIM I made that mistake and paid. Next time out I made it a point to take a gel every 35-45 minutes. Since the weather was fairly hot I combined the gels with salt sticks tp reduce cramping.

Good luck!

2015-05-22 5:28 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Weekend!
Hope everyone has a great holiday.

I'll be back on my bike on the indoor trainer for the first time tomorrow. I'm three weeks out from my surgery and starting to feel normal again. I'm supposed to be able to start running--and possibly swimming-- in mid June.

Two steps forward, one step back. I was reminded this morning of lost plans and what I was supposed to be doing when I got an email reminder that my rental car would be ready for pick up tomorrow afternoon in Kona. That reservation was made back in December when I signed up for the Kona 70.3, thinking I was capable of jumping right back into training. Well, I'm on the entry list but that's the only thing that worked.

No worries. Starting to feel good again and motivated to hit the training.

Have a great weekend everyone. Safety first always!

Best,

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2015-05-22 5:36 PM
2015-05-22 6:19 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Originally posted by lutzman

I'll be back on my bike on the indoor trainer for the first time tomorrow. I'm three weeks out from my surgery and starting to feel normal again. I'm supposed to be able to start running--and possibly swimming-- in mid June.

That's great news Steve! It's been a tough year, it's good that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I imagine you won't be competing at ChelanMan, but are you still planning to come up for part of the festivities? I'd still like to buy you a beer.
2015-05-22 11:06 PM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by lutzman

That's great news Steve! It's been a tough year, it's good that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I imagine you won't be competing at ChelanMan, but are you still planning to come up for part of the festivities? I'd still like to buy you a beer.

Hey Scott:

I should be in the area. My parents live in Chelan (the bike course goes out/back past their house) so I'll probably be there. Who knows, maybe I'll volunteer.

Let's touch base when the race day gets close and I'll get you my cell phone number.

Steve
2015-05-23 7:59 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Spencer, New York
Steve: so glad you'll be able to resume full training soon. You're an inspiration.
Dave, I like Perpetuem solids on the bike, although I don't do your long distances. Easy to eat while pedaling, and they'll remind you to drink some water. I eat 1 (33 calories) every 15 minutes & if it's hot follow with an Endurolyte cap. Chalky texture but I've gotten used to it & like them.

With nighttime temperatures in the 30's, I've had more opportunities to swim in 63° water. I'll be ready for my race, although if that lake is 60° I'll be lucky. Got my Power Tap hub, waiting for LBS to get the spokes in to rebuild my wheel. I'm not counting on being well enough acquainted with the new equipment to use it in the race in 2 weeks.
Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Deb
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open