BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-06-07 5:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Sprint
Originally posted by Kris67

I did a sprint tri today that had the craziest swim. I start my 70.3 BT plan in 2 weeks. I wondering if I should take a few days off before that(to prevent burnout), or just do my usual training. I'm starting to have heel discomfort and I'm hoping it's not Plantar fasciitis, so I've started ibuprofen and ice.

Kristen

Congrats on completing your Sprint. Sounds like you made the best of a messy course.

With regard to the heal pain, I'd advise caution. As you probably know, PF is a very nasty condition that can sideline you for months. A few days off running will cost you little in terms of fitness. A flare up of PF could end your HIM program before it starts. In the meantime, if you want to keep training, you can swim, bike or even hit the eliptical trainer. None of that should bother your heel. After a few days off with the ice and ibuprophen treatment it the pain returns when you resume running, you'll know you've got an issue that needs a medical pro.

A podiatrist can most likely identify if the pain is related to foot plant, you shoes, stride, calf tightness or something else.

Case in point, about 10 years ago I developed nasty shin splints. I wasn't training any different, not ramping up my miles, I just overnight suddenly had chronic shin splints. I would ice, take time off, start again and the pain would come back immediately after resuming workouts. A podiatrist quickly identified a problem with my arches which was causing my foot to roll inward stressing the inside front of my shin. He fit me with custom insoles and the problem has been solved ever since.

But here's the interesting thing he told me that relates to us aging athletes. It was his theory that I born with the arch issue. However, as a younger athlete my body could deal with the training stress. Get a little older and whamo, the body can no longer keep up with the training stress and an issue unknown to me suddenly triggers a chronic condition.

So, let's hope it's just a tweak from intensive training and/or the race. But if not, get some good advice from a medical pro.

Good luck!

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2015-06-07 5:49 PM

2015-06-07 6:48 PM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Coming back after break

Originally posted by luvschips

Hey everyone,

It's been a rough few months. My 89 year old father's cancer came back and my family and I were caretaking around the clock. He peacefully passed away and am grateful for my family for all their support during this time. It made me realized how difficult this end of life stuff is and how important it is to have people to count on :-)

So here I am, feeling like I am starting at ground zero. I gained 17lbs and wasn't consistent working out. Trying to get back on track. I started training for a triathlon in August to give myself something to focus on.

Donna

Donna,

Sorry!

One step at a time.  It doesn't really matter how many times you fall down, rather, how many times you get back up!

2015-06-07 7:08 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Coming back after break--one year anniversary

Originally posted by lutzman

Today is my one year anniversary since biting the pavement last year at Boise . . . A lot of training ahead to get back my fitness!

Steve,

I didn't know this was an anniversary we were celebrating!  Oops!  My bad!

No doubt you will get your fitness back in no time!

2015-06-07 7:54 PM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Kris67 I did a sprint tri today that had the craziest swim. The water was just too shallow, the whole way, about mid thigh. The majority of the swim was standing up walking, with attempts to dolphin dive and Breast or freestyle stroke, but it was just too shallow to stroke. My heart rate was probably higher than if I had swam it all. The ride was fine but the run was short of 3 miles. I'm still waiting on official results, since I left before they posted any. One lady in my wave stepped on a sting ray and said she was stung. Sorry for my absence, as I'm still here, following, but had nothing to post. I start my 70.3 BT plan in 2 weeks. I wondering if I should take a few days off before that(to prevent burnout), or just do my usual training. I'm starting to have heel discomfort and I'm hoping it's not Plantar fasciitis, so I've started ibuprofen and ice. Donna, sorry to hear of your loss. Kristen

Hey Kris,

Congrats on finishing your sprint!  That is one of my pet peeves, a swim course that is too shallow to actually swim on.  We have an annual race here where the swim is parallel to the shore.  The water is about 3-4' deep the entire length of the course.  Certainly deep enough to swim, but shallow enough that many think they can walk and/or dolphin dive the whole distance - which creates all kinds of problems for those that are swimming.  Anyway, glad you got through it.

Which BT plan are you planning to follow?  Provided there are rest days and/or recovery weeks built in to your 70.3 plan, I wouldn't be too overly concerned about burning out or overtraining.  You can monitor this by taking your pulse FIRST THING every morning (like before your feet hit the floor first thing).  Once you have established your normal resting heart rate, if your HR is suddenly several beats per minute higher one morning, that is a sign of overtraining.  Burn-out is often not far behind.  Generally, if you are ramping your duration and volume up slowly, there is not going to be an opportunity for overtraining or burnout.  It takes a fairly rapid increase in time/volume and/or very high duration/distance to enter into the realm of overtraining/burnout.  That said, I would just do your normal training between now and when you start your 70.3 plan.

With respect to the heel discomfort.  I am always the first to say, if in doubt, get it checked out.  A little bit of discomfort or an annoying twinge of minor pain has a way of turning in to major, potentially season ending injury for us gray athletes.  Better to have it checked out by a doctor and it be nothing than be sidelined for months with an avoidable injury.  I'm currently working with an athlete that is training for an Ironman.  She had been having a recurring problem with shin splints.  The doctor said, "Get off your feet and let them recover and heel."  She didn't see the wisdom in that and continued to run because she was concerned she would lose fitness.  I finally convinced her to use an elliptical machine in place of running while continuing to swim and bike.  6-weeks later, she is running absolutely pain free. Having a minor injury is not the end of the season if you deal with it early and properly.  My advice is go see a doctor and follow his/her advice to the letter.

Just my humble two cents.

2015-06-07 11:17 PM

User image

Originally posted by luvschips Hey everyone, It's been a rough few months. My 89 year old father's cancer came back and my family and I were caretaking around the clock. He peacefully passed away and am grateful for my family for all their support during this time. It made me realized how difficult this end of life stuff is and how important it is to have people to count on :-) So here I am, feeling like I am starting at ground zero. I gained 17lbs and wasn't consistent working out. Trying to get back on track. I started training for a triathlon in August to give myself something to focus on. Donna

So very sorry for your loss... welcome back.  

2015-06-08 2:33 PM
in reply to: mtsnorider

User image

Thanks Scott and Steve for the advice. I ran today (before I had read your posts) but will take the next week off and see how my stretching, new inserts, ibuprofen and rest helps. I spoke with my chiropractor today and he suggested stretching.
My him plan is the BT 20 wk RPE

2015-06-08 2:50 PM
in reply to: mtsnorider

User image

Subject: First Oly
I completed my first Olympic Triathlon on Saturday. I was a little slow, but it went well. I achieved my primary goal: to finish the race healthy (no need for a break in training). I didn't achieve my secondary goal of finishing in under 3 hours. My final time was 3:09:46.

Swim (38m 23s): I intentionally went slow and steady on the swim. It was only my second OWS of the season and I wanted it to go smoothly. I swam aerobically and exited the water in just over 30 minutes (back of the middle pack). The remaining time was a restroom stop and the run to T1. Wasting 5+ minutes on a restroom stop was frustrating. I'm not sure how to avoid that in the future. Perhaps it was nerves, although I didn't feel particularly nervous.

T1 (3m 6s): Not sufficiently organized. Wasted time getting wet-suit off and socks on.

Bike (1hr 24m 27s): The bike course was a couple miles longer than the standard 40K. This was my best relative effort compared to the rest of my age group (50-59). For comparison, the best bike time was 1hr4min. To improve on this time I will probably have to increase my FTP.

T2 (1m 7s): Much better than T1. Third fastest in my age-group.

Run (1hr 2m 41s): I went slow because I didn't want to aggravate the low-grade Achilles tendonitis that has been bothering me lately. I did a run/walk (60 sec run, 10 sec walk, repeat) and it worked well. My legs feel no worse than before the run.

Overall, I feel good about the race. I know I can go harder in both the swim and run at the ChelanMan Olympic!
2015-06-08 3:07 PM

User image

Originally posted by luvschips

Hey everyone,

It's been a rough few months. My 89 year old father's cancer came back and my family and I were caretaking around the clock. He peacefully passed away and am grateful for my family for all their support during this time. It made me realized how difficult this end of life stuff is and how important it is to have people to count on :-)

So here I am, feeling like I am starting at ground zero. I gained 17lbs and wasn't consistent working out. Trying to get back on track. I started training for a triathlon in August to give myself something to focus on.

Donna

Donna,

Sorry for your loss! I lost my father to cancer a few years ago. It took some time to deal with the grief. Take care of yourself! Training for a triathlon is probably very therapeutic at this stage.
2015-06-08 3:30 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by Kris67

I did a sprint tri today that had the craziest swim. The water was just too shallow, the whole way, about mid thigh. The majority of the swim was standing up walking, with attempts to dolphin dive and Breast or freestyle stroke, but it was just too shallow to stroke. My heart rate was probably higher than if I had swam it all. The ride was fine but the run was short of 3 miles. I'm still waiting on official results, since I left before they posted any.
One lady in my wave stepped on a sting ray and said she was stung.
Sorry for my absence, as I'm still here, following, but had nothing to post. I start my 70.3 BT plan in 2 weeks. I wondering if I should take a few days off before that(to prevent burnout), or just do my usual training. I'm starting to have heel discomfort and I'm hoping it's not Plantar fasciitis, so I've started ibuprofen and ice.
Donna, sorry to hear of your loss.

Kristen

Here's a plantar fascitis protocol from Strassburg Sock, sponsor of this week's race. You might want to check it out if your heel hurts when you get up in the morning:

The Strassburg Sock
http://thesock.comor 716.559.1918
A new study has found a simple, nonsurgical, no-injection, and highly effective way to resolve plantar-fasciitis pain.
The key: use of a “night splint,” specifically a low-cost splint called the Strassburg Sock. A night splint is a temporary
splint that you wear only while sleeping.

The study, published in The Journal of Foot & Ankle Surgery, pitted two therapies against each other:
the Strassburg Sock and a traditional calf-stretching regimen. Each was used to treat a group of
patients suffering from plantar fasciitis. The night splint was far more effective than stretching, helping
patients recover in an average of 18.5 days versus 58.6 days for the stretching regimen. Head
researcher Lance Barry, D.P.M., a marathon-running podiatrist, believes the splints worked best
because immobilization of an injured tissue is the first step toward helping that tissue heal. “The long
established principles that govern the healing of bone and other soft tissues should be used in the
treatment of plantar fasciitis,” he says.
Barry says he has tried other, more bulky night splints, but his patients haven’t liked them because their
bulkiness makes it hard to get a good night’s sleep. At the first sign of plantar fasciitis, Barry suggests
following these steps:
1. Stop running for 1 to 2 weeks, until you no longer experience morning heel pain.
2. Cross-train. Bicycle, aqua-jog, or do other aerobic exercise that doesn’t stress the plantar
fascia.
3. Avoid wearing high-heel shoes, walking barefoot, and doing squats and calf raises.
4. Wear the night splint until you have gone 7 days without pain. This usually takes 3 to 4 weeks.
5. Take anti-inflammatory medicine for 10 days.
Deb
2015-06-08 11:50 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi All,  I finished my race yesterday in fairly decent order.  My swim was disappointingly slow (I suspect it was longer but I can't prove it).  Then I had a great bike ride about 10 minutes faster than I expected.  Then I had a wishy washy run in intense heat.  My pace was slow by 10 to 20 minutes for a 10K.

As I ran in to the finish line I was thinking, "Thank God I'm not doing the HIM race today."  I could not have finished another 11 km/6.5 mi of running.

I have fairly mixed feelings about the race and I still don't know my timing for the race.  As soon as I get my results I'll write up a race report.

2015-06-09 11:19 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

after a lot of stretching, some ice and ibuprofen-my heel already feels great, no pain at all. I will continue all of the therapy adviced to me.
Deb- the srassburg sock looks interesting, but $40 each, too steep for me. I could try to make one?
Scott I- I love reading race reports and am encouraged by them. Great job.
Wenceslasz- Everyone had good and bad days. Better luck next time.

A friend on social media encouraged me to sit on my knees with my toes flexed under, with my weight on my legs, stretching my arch. This is a great stretch and helps, so I thought I'd share it.

2015-06-09 7:02 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: First Oly

Originally posted by EchoLkScott

I completed my first Olympic Triathlon on Saturday. I was a little slow, but it went well. I achieved my primary goal: to finish the race healthy (no need for a break in training). I didn't achieve my secondary goal of finishing in under 3 hours. My final time was 3:09:46.

Swim (38m 23s): I intentionally went slow and steady on the swim. It was only my second OWS of the season and I wanted it to go smoothly. I swam aerobically and exited the water in just over 30 minutes (back of the middle pack). The remaining time was a restroom stop and the run to T1. Wasting 5+ minutes on a restroom stop was frustrating. I'm not sure how to avoid that in the future. Perhaps it was nerves, although I didn't feel particularly nervous.

T1 (3m 6s): Not sufficiently organized. Wasted time getting wet-suit off and socks on.

Bike (1hr 24m 27s): The bike course was a couple miles longer than the standard 40K. This was my best relative effort compared to the rest of my age group (50-59). For comparison, the best bike time was 1hr4min. To improve on this time I will probably have to increase my FTP.

T2 (1m 7s): Much better than T1. Third fastest in my age-group.

Run (1hr 2m 41s): I went slow because I didn't want to aggravate the low-grade Achilles tendonitis that has been bothering me lately. I did a run/walk (60 sec run, 10 sec walk, repeat) and it worked well. My legs feel no worse than before the run.

Overall, I feel good about the race. I know I can go harder in both the swim and run at the ChelanMan Olympic!

First Olympic triathlon - check!  Good job Scott.

Just remember, the idea is not necessarily to go faster during the swim, it is to stay aerobic during the swim.  There is a long day of racing after you are out of the water, better to stay aerobic and have the glycogen stores later in the day when you REALLY need them.

A really good run/walk strategy is to run a mile, then walk 20 paces for a HIM or IM, and run 1K, walk 20 paces for Sprint or Olympic.  Ideally the run aid stations are every mile for HIM or IM, then you are simply walking the aid stations.

2015-06-09 11:58 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Sai Kung,

Hi Scott,

Great job on the first tri!

Thanks very much for the report! I've been lurking in the background, absorbing all the info from everyone, but haven't been posting because frankly the experience and dedication of everyone on here is a bit intimidating to me as someone who is just getting their toes in the water of triathlon. Having said that I've got my first tri coming up in Barcelona on the 21st of June and your report echoes so loudly I could be looking in a mirror. I'm dealing with a "low grade" achilles tendon issue also, something that afflicts many new runners I'm guessing. My goals are exactly the same as yours for my first tri.

Thanks again for the report. It will really help me mentally prepare.

Cheers,

Dave

2015-06-10 3:56 PM
in reply to: Dangerus

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey there!  Been away for a while.  Things kind of went a little off the rails after the Indy Mini last month.  Still training - just other parts of life haven't been going as smoothly.  Hoping things will start to settle down a little bit now.  

I bought a wetsuit and have been doing OWS's for the last 4 weekends, along with doing 1-2 other swims at the pool during the week.  I've always been pretty comfortable in the water but each time seems to be getting easier so I'm happy with that.  For my cycling I took Scott's advice and downloaded the Angels 2015 Sufferfest video (2 of my tri's this summer have hilly bike courses and I avoid hills whenever possible).  Tried it for the first time on Monday - all I can say is I made it through but it wasn't pretty.  I know I'm a weak cyclist and this proved it!  I enjoyed it though - looking forward to getting better at it.  As for the running - well, I'm also having some heel issues.  It's not the first time I've had it and I know it'll get better, just need to give it some time.  I think my chiro is going to be at my race on Saturday (his office sponsors a lot of local events) so I'll have him check it out while I'm there.  

Janet

2015-06-11 6:45 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
I finally got my race report finished. The delay is the price I pay for being so wordy and maybe overthinking everything. It was a good race, with an interesting twist. It's here:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
Really, tomorrow is Friday already?
After a week of reduced training, I have 2 weeks to follow a challenging full schedule before my grandchildren come for a week (without their parents!) I find I do best with a rhythm of 2 weeks hard, 1 week easier so that should work out. (Although I don't know if taking care of a 5 & a 2 1/2 year old qualifies as "easier".)
Have a good weekend everyone!)
Deb
2015-06-11 7:28 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

For my cycling I took Scott's advice and downloaded the Angels 2015 Sufferfest video (2 of my tri's this summer have hilly bike courses and I avoid hills whenever possible).  Tried it for the first time on Monday - all I can say is I made it through but it wasn't pretty.

Janet

Hi Janet!

I;m not sure if I should tell you this or not.  Riding Angels '15 is NEVER going to be pretty.  It doesn't get easier, rather you just become familiar with the ride.  You know where you are going to bump up against your pain threshold!  I think I must have ridden Angels at least 40-50 times by now.  It's as ugly now as it was the first time I rode it - and yet, I keep going back for more.  Keep with it, you will be amazed how quickly you will progress!

I don't recall that you mentioned how the Indy Mini went?!? (Or did I just miss it?)

2015-06-11 7:30 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by ok2try Although I don't know if taking care of a 5 & a 2 1/2 year old qualifies as "easier."

Deb

NO!!!  Taking care of young grand-kids is not easier!  That is a job unto itself!  You will likely need a vacation after a week! 

2015-06-11 8:16 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by k9car363

For my cycling I took Scott's advice and downloaded the Angels 2015 Sufferfest video (2 of my tri's this summer have hilly bike courses and I avoid hills whenever possible).  Tried it for the first time on Monday - all I can say is I made it through but it wasn't pretty.

Janet

Hi Janet!

I;m not sure if I should tell you this or not.  Riding Angels '15 is NEVER going to be pretty.  It doesn't get easier, rather you just become familiar with the ride.  You know where you are going to bump up against your pain threshold!  I think I must have ridden Angels at least 40-50 times by now.  It's as ugly now as it was the first time I rode it - and yet, I keep going back for more.  Keep with it, you will be amazed how quickly you will progress!

I don't recall that you mentioned how the Indy Mini went?!? (Or did I just miss it?)

Yeah, I'm sure Angels isn't going to get easier (they don't call it Sufferfest for nothing, right?).  But at least next time I know a little bit more what to expect.  And there were some spots where I couldn't keep my cadence up where it was supposed to be so it gives me something to work on.  I really enjoyed the workout, even though it was tough I felt like it was probably the best trainer ride I've done. 

The Indy Mini went well for the first 8 miles or so, the last 5 were harder.  I think partly because I hadn't done more than 9-1/2 in training and partly because it was warmer than I expected it to be that morning.  I didn't PR which I was hoping to do but it wasn't my worst time either.  It was a good weekend overall though.  We went over to the Speedway on Sunday and watched some of the drivers for the 500 doing practice laps.  That was the highlight of the weekend for my husband.  He keeps talking about "if we go back next year".  We'll have to see about that.

Janet

2015-06-12 7:42 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
Scott I, I never said congrats on your first Oly. Your times look pretty good to me!
Donna, I'm sorry about the loss of your Dad. That's never easy at any age.
Steve, my admiration for persisting for a full year of frustration and pain. You have many years left--fill them with self-inflicted frustration & pain, but please, NO MORE CRASHES. There was a crash on last Sunday's race. I didn't see it, only the ambulance. I thought of you.
Deb
2015-06-12 10:49 AM

User image

Subject: Racing this weekend?
Is anyone racing this weekend?

I'm doing a 1.2 mile open water swim race tonight (Friday Night Swim Races).
2015-06-12 7:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

That was the highlight of the weekend for my husband.  He keeps talking about "if we go back next year".  We'll have to see about that.

Janet

Hey Janet,

Let me translate this for you - "if we go back next year" - this is manspeak for "I REALLY, REALLY want you to do the race again next year so I can go hang out at the Speedway!"

LOL, us auto racing fans have to hang together and there is no better place to hang out than the hallowed grounds of Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Edited by k9car363 2015-06-12 7:56 PM

2015-06-13 12:26 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Racing this weekend?

Is anyone racing this weekend?

I'm doing a 1.2 mile open water swim race tonight (Friday Night Swim Races).

I finished the 1.2 mile swim in 43:32 (a 2:04 per 100yrd pace). This was my first 1.2 mile swim race, so I went out easy and spent the race practicing drafting. I'm getting better at drafting - I stayed on one guys feet for over 1/2 mile.

My masters team had a handful of people racing. They all took first or second in their categories (except me, of course). These guys are really fast! The winner of the 2.4 mile (wetsuit race) was Bruce Deakyne at 49:41. That's only 6 minutes longer than I swam the 1.2 mile race! Bruce is doing the Norseman extreme triathlon this summer. Every day at the end of the Masters workout Bruce stays to do another 1500 to 2500 yard workout. My swim instructor often uses him as an example of good freestyle technique. He's one talented kid!
2015-06-13 4:23 PM

User image

Subject: RE: How Far Should I Swim in Training for My Triathlon?

Dang, I didn't notice this before. I need to up my workout distances. I've been averaging in the low 2000's per workout. That's close to the lower end of the Olympic range (doing Oly's this summer) but substantially below the HIM range (first HIM is September). I can't really increase the yardage during the hour Masters workout, so I'll need to stay an extra 30 to 45 minutes. That's going to be tough - I'm usually pretty wiped-out by the end of the masters workout.

Scott, how much benefit do you lose by doing the additional yardage in a second workout the same day? Or, in doing more workouts per week?

Thanks!

Scott,

There is nothing lost by doing two swim workouts a day.  Back when I was swimming, I would put in about 5,000 meters in the A.M., then about 8,000 meters in the evening.  I got the benefit of 13,000 meters, but didn't have to be in the pool for five continuous hours.  You can do multiple workouts per day or add additional workouts per week.  The important thing is the total yardage.

So 9,600 to 12,600 yards per week. I can get into that range with either 5 workouts a week or 4 extended workouts a week. That's doable!

Thanks Scott!

I swam 10,500 yards this week, up from an average of 6,000 yards per week for the last couple months. Kept the bike, run, and strength workouts pretty much the same. I am TOTALLY EXHAUSTED! I mean "falling asleep at my desk" exhausted! I may have to build gradually to this >10K yards per week level.

Business trip next week. That's going to cut into my training a bit.

2015-06-14 3:28 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: How Far Should I Swim in Training for My Triathlon?

Dang, I didn't notice this before. I need to up my workout distances. Or, in doing more workouts per week?

Thanks!

Scott,

There is nothing lost by doing two swim workouts a day.   The important thing is the total yardage.

So 9,600 to 12,600 yards per week. I can get into that range with either 5 workouts a week or 4 extended workouts a week. That's doable!

Thanks Scott!

I swam 10,500 yards this week, up from an average of 6,000 yards per week for the last couple months. Kept the bike, run, and strength workouts pretty much the same. I am TOTALLY EXHAUSTED! I mean "falling asleep at my desk" exhausted! I may have to build gradually to this >10K yards per week level.

Business trip next week. That's going to cut into my training a bit.

Scott--nice workouts. But be cautious about pushing it to the point of total exhaustion with any regularity. At some point this will almost certainly have a negative impact your bike/run workouts. Total exhaustion for one week might be OK. More than that and somethings gotta give....and that's usually not a good outcome for us gray guys.
2015-06-14 3:53 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: weekend update
Hope you all had a good weekend.

Saturday, I got in a pretty decent bike workout. 25 miles with 1900 feet of climbing. Then took my dogs on a hike up a mountain.

Sunday morning my legs were shot, so this seemed like a good time to pull back a bit on my planned ride. I don't ride much with my wife--even though she is a solid cyclist--because she likes to cruise and I'm always doing something goofy like hill repeats. Since I was fatigued from the ride yesterday I suggested to my wife that we ride together. Uh oh.

Coming out of our driveway she slipped a gear, locked up her chain and immediately crashed. The result was a bloody knee and a tongue lashing for all humanity. In these circumstances I approach my wife much like I would if I encounter a bear in the mountains: Don't make eye contact, try to make myself appear as large as possible. If it gets really bad, play dead. I got her chain back on the ring for her, got a kleenex on the bloody knee and it was off again.

About 2 miles into the ride, she got a rear tire flat. More unhappy words. I proceeded to empty her bento box (it's the size of a small purse) to get her flat kit and tools. Of course, she doesn't carry any of that needless stuff. I did my best to resist making helpful suggestions such as "why are you riding around without a flat kit when you have this jumbo-sized bento box that could carry a small dog." So, I just pulled out my tools, spare tube and CO2 cartridges and fixed her tire.

At that point she was ready to quit since we've got a busy Sunday ahead, but with a little encouragement she trudged on. I'm glad we did. We ended up with a pretty nice moderate Sunday ride, 17 miles and 1700 feet of climbing in a little over 90 minutes with a 30 minute pit stop for tire repair.

I guess it just goes to show that pushing through a little adversity usually has a pretty good payoff.

Have a great week everybody. July is lurking around the corner and I imagine a few of you have races on the horizon.

Steve
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open