BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-07-17 8:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Question about racing with the power meter

Originally posted by ok2try

. . . I was trying to pedal HARDER instead of pedaling FASTER. I began to try to bring up the power by increasing cadence, even if it meant shifting to an easier gear. I didn't feel too successful.

Deb,

This is what I was talking about when I was talking about keeping your cadence up in the hills.  Ideally, you anticipate the upcoming hills and begin shifting to a lower gear as you approach the hill so you're in the proper gear before you start "mashing."  This is part of why your NP for the ride was so high.

However, when I got back & saw all the data on my computer, it showed that my average power for the entire ride was 88%, and my normalized power was 92.4%. No wonder I was knackered! It also showed that my 20-minute maximum power was 4 points higher than my tested ftp. Question 1: Does that mean I should adjust my ftp to the new number? It also showed that my Intensity Factor was .677. Obviously I don't understand IF because I thought it pretty much correlated with average power (or NP) as a percent. Do I need to understand IF?

I looked at all of the numbers you put in your original post and something doesn't seem right.  I would need to see the entire power file to sort it out.  However, I can make a couple general comments.  When you are talking about power, talk about power, don't speak in percentages.  Yes, sometimes it is important to know what the percentages are, but talking in terms of watts is normally more instructive.

Assuming the FTP I calculated for you last week was anywhere near correct, then I come up with an intensity factor of .912 for your entire ride and a variability index of 1.095.  I suspect that is still on the low side and would need to see the power file.  Given all the numbers you cited, I think your VI is probably closer to 1.2.

Yes, if your max 20-minute power was 4 watts higher than your current FTP then you should use that new value as your FTP from this point forward.  A race is always better for setting zones if possible (whether that is from 20-minute max power, a 10K, etc.).

My take-aways:

• Change display on 510 to show NP, not power.
  • Maybe up my ftp to my new maximum 20-minute power?
  • Try to keep NP near 80%.
  • Increase it if needed by increasing cadence first.
  • Try to get average cadence nearer to 90.

You don't want NP on your 510 display, it is too hard to keep it where you want it.  You want power.  On the 510, you have the choice of several smoothing values so it settles down the number jumping all over the place.  I like either 3-second or 10-second smoothing.  Then you keep your target power in the display.  If you have NP, because it attempts to account for the metabolic cost of the ride, the value shown may not by your actual instant power output.  When using power for pacing you need to know the power you are putting out NOW, not the theoretical power you are putting out over the course of the ride.

I don't concern myself with NP during a ride.  It is simply to difficult to anticipate what any small segment of a ride will do to your overall NP for the ride.  NP is a metric you look at AFTER the ride to help better understand your performance during the ride.

On the 2 climbs (1 and 2 miles in length) with an incline nearing 3%, I think I did pretty well keeping NP reasonable, at 95% and 106% respectively. On the corresponding descents, NP was 58% and 84%; but at 35-37 mph I dared not look at my device. 

This is a very good example of why you want to talk about watts.  You said you did well keeping NP reasonable, at 95% and 106% respectively.  I have no idea what that means!  Your target power was 75-83% FTP.  You had no way of knowing your true NP because the ride wasn't yet complete.  Looking at NP over a segment of the ride DURING the ride is telling you nothing.  I put a piece of white medical tape on my top tube with my target power IN WATTS written on it and then I put that number in the window on my Garmin.

This was a good first effort with you power meter under race like conditions.  I imagine you learned a LOT.  It takes a fair amount of time to fully understand what a power meter is telling you and even longer to learn how to best make use of that data.

If you want, I can give you a link and you can send a copy of the Garmin .tcx file to me.  I can plug it into my RKO software and we can take a look at all the metrics.  Send me a private message and we can talk about it.

Edited by k9car363 2015-07-17 8:43 PM

2015-07-19 11:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I just posted a race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=534212&posts=1&page=1#M5129795

It took me most of this evening to write the report and it is long so don't feel obligated to read it.

It was a death march for me and a few others.  I finished but only just. It may sound strange but I feel empowered for having suffered but survived in spite of my performance.  Once we got back to our hotel I was so stiff I could barely move.  Went straight to Walmart for some muscle relaxants and some Voltaren.  I didn't get my steak dinner and didn't feel much like having one.  I sure slept well.

I went into this race looking to get a better time than my previous 2# HIM but I wound up with a longer time than I ever imagined.

This morning I hobbled over to a restaurant and had my pancakes.  While there I met a fellow who had done the race as well plus it turns out we had done the Across the Lake swim a year ago Saturday as well.

I finished 3rd from last but I was 2nd in my age group.......out of 2.

Edited by wenceslasz 2015-07-19 11:58 PM
2015-07-20 3:09 PM

User image

Subject: ChelanMan Olympic
I raced in the ChelanMan Olympic-distance triathlon this weekend. The race report is here:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

I raced on the same day as George but I did the Oly instead of the Half. This made for very different race experiences. The Oly bike course was much easier than the Half - just a series of rolling hills versus major climbs. I was also done before 11am while the temperature was still below 90 deg F. George was out on the run course with temperatures in the mid-nineties.

The only difficult part for me was the run in the heat. I eventually started putting ice in my hat to cool my head. It worked - I felt much stronger on the second half of the run.

Overall, I had a great time. I placed in the middle of the pack (4th out of 8 for my age group) but I feel a little stronger each race.

Edited by EchoLkScott 2015-07-20 3:11 PM
2015-07-20 3:48 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Subject: RE: ChelanMan Olympic
Originally posted by EchoLkScott

I raced in the ChelanMan Olympic-distance triathlon this weekend. The race report is here:

I raced on the same day as George but I did the Oly instead of the Half. This made for very different race experiences. The Oly bike course was much easier than the Half - just a series of rolling hills versus major climbs. I was also done before 11am while the temperature was still below 90 deg F. George was out on the run course with temperatures in the mid-nineties.

The only difficult part for me was the run in the heat. I eventually started putting ice in my hat to cool my head. It worked - I felt much stronger on the second half of the run.

Overall, I had a great time. I placed in the middle of the pack (4th out of 8 for my age group) but I feel a little stronger each race.

BTW, I was 67 seconds out of the third place finisher and only 2 seconds ahead of the fifth place finisher in my AG. I beat Chris (5th place) by two seconds in a sprint finish! If I did a little better in my transitions I could have been on the podium. The first place finisher in the AG was in a league of his own - 35 minutes faster than second place and nearly 50 minutes faster than me. I don't know if I'll every get to that level, but that second place time looks doable.

2015-07-20 5:49 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wenceslasz

It took me most of this evening to write the report and it is long so don't feel obligated to read it.

It was a death march for me and a few others.  I finished but only just. It may sound strange but I feel empowered for having suffered but survived in spite of my performance.

Hey George,

Good race report!  You know, I have found over the course of my athletic career that it is often the races like this, the ones in which you were truly and deeply tested, which are the ones that are the most valuable and the most memorable. 

You closed out your race report with the comment, "This race tells me I need to re think my training. I work hard and I can swim, bike and run but I just can't seem to get it together. I don't need to be competitive I just want to be better than I already am."

I have heard triathletes make similar comments many times over the years as they discovered that while they'd been swimming, cycling, and running in training, they hadn't been training for a triathlon.  I wonder what you mean by the comment and if you have any thoughts on why "you can't seem to get it together?"

2015-07-20 5:52 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by EchoLkScott I raced in the ChelanMan Olympic-distance triathlon this weekend . . . Overall, I had a great time. I placed in the middle of the pack (4th out of 8 for my age group) but I feel a little stronger each race.

Scott,

Good race report.  Congrats on a race well done.

2015-07-20 10:49 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=534212&posts=1&page=1#M5129795

It was a death march for me and a few others.  I finished but only just. It may sound strange but I feel empowered for having suffered but survived in spite of my performance.  

George:

Congrats on finishing on a very tough day. The heat was brutal on both Saturday and Sunday. In my opinion, that Chelan HIM course is deceptively hard. The hills are tough, steep and totally exposed to sun and rock. The run is just fricking hot. I think death march captures it exactly. When I came back from Chelan on Sunday night at 9:00 it was still 92 degrees and the sun had been down for two hours.

You may have been toward the bottom of the finishers, but you beat every lightweight out there (like me) that didn't have the toughness or conditioning to do it.

Congrats again.

Steve

2015-07-20 11:28 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by EchoLkScott

BTW, I was 67 seconds out of the third place finisher and only 2 seconds ahead of the fifth place finisher in my AG. I beat Chris (5th place) by two seconds in a sprint finish! If I did a little better in my transitions I could have been on the podium. The first place finisher in the AG was in a league of his own - 35 minutes faster than second place and nearly 50 minutes faster than me. I don't know if I'll every get to that level, but that second place time looks doable.

Well done Scott. Congrats on a solid performance on a tough day.

Just between you and me, those finisher statistics shown for the 55-59 AG winner look very odd. In the greater scheme of things it doesn't matter, but something is very fishy, Personally, I think you got cheated out of 3rd place. Here's my thinking:

1) The 55-59 AG winner raced 2:15. He was 2nd overall in the swim in an astounding 21 minutes. 2nd! He was 3rd on the bike with an average speed of 23.6 on a course that has multiple hills that drain strength. I raced the same course in 2013 when my fitness was good. He beat me my time by over 6 minutes.

2) Based on the USAT Athlete records I found he has never come close to swimming 21 minutes in an Olympic race. Never. He most recent effort in June of 2015 was 13 minutes in a sprint race. That's a long ways from 21 in a OIympic. He has had some very good times, but come on, 2nd overall at age 55 with no triathlon race history at this speed?

3) He has never had a cycling time I could find that was anywhere close to 23.6 mph. He has had some 22.9, but that is still a long way off 23.6. There are some solid cyclists I know that were in the race and he beat them ALL despite having no previous races where he posted a speed anywhere close to this

• 4) His USAT rating was 82 in 2014 (my rating was 84 when I posted a time six minutes slower). He beat a guy in the swim and bike legs I know from Wenatchee named Chad McBride. Chad is a super triathlete. Chad's 2014 USAT rating was 88. Your 55-59 AG winner finished ahead of a 40 year old with a 2014 USAT rating of 88.5.

Maybe this guy is just an unbelievable athlete who had a super winter training and is just now reaching his potential. Maybe he had an off day last month when he swam 13 minutes in a sprint race. But it sure looks fishy. Better living through chemistry?

I know, I'm an anal retentive stats wonk. End of rant.

Congrats again on a very solid race.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2015-07-21 9:56 AM
    2015-07-21 2:12 PM
    in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

Maybe this guy is just an unbelievable athlete who had a super winter training and is just now reaching his potential. Maybe he had an off day last month when he swam 13 minutes in a sprint race. But it sure looks fishy. Better living through chemistry?

I know, I'm an anal retentive stats wonk. End of rant. Congrats again on a very solid race. Steve

OH NO!!! An age group athlete that is juiced?  Tell me it isn't so!

Back when I was swimming, the USSR and East German swimmers were juiced to the gills.  Everyone knew it, but there were no rules saying they couldn't do it. For a very long time, nobody in the world could compete with them at their chemically induced level.  Then pro cycling.  Everyone pretty much acknowledged the doping - which is why I wonder why the witch hunt directed towards Lance - sorry, another conversation for another day.  Now days, the ongoing debate over whether Froome and Sky are clean or if the peloton continues to dope.  At least with Pro Cycling and professional sports I can almost understand, there is a huge amount of money on the table.

So maybe somebody can explain the motivation for a 55-59 age grouper to juice?  I fail to understand what is to be gained.  Sadly, that is is happening is beyond doubt at this point.

2015-07-21 2:37 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
    Subject: RE: ChelanMan Olympic & HIM
    Many congrats to both Scott & George, and both of your race reports were well-written & interesting to read.
    Scott, maybe now that you can taste that podium, you'll spend a few minutes drilling your transitions over & over. Nice to do on a recovery day.
    George, those race conditions sound absolutely brutal, especially the heat. It sounds like you dug really deep just to finish. Hat's off to you!
    Deb
    2015-07-21 3:36 PM
    in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
    Originally posted by k9car363

I know, I'm an anal retentive stats wonk. End of rant. Congrats again on a very solid race. Steve

OH NO!!! An age group athlete that is juiced?  Tell me it isn't so!

So maybe somebody can explain the motivation for a 55-59 age grouper to juice?  I fail to understand what is to be gained.  Sadly, that is is happening is beyond doubt at this point.

Scott--They are obvious doing it for the cash prizes and sponsorships that we all enjoy, right?!

Hey, for all I know, that guy that won the AG is legit. And more power to him. But the stats certainly can cause one to think he might have been self-medicating for "low T".

Steve

2015-07-21 4:24 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

They are obvious doing it for the cash prizes and sponsorships that we all enjoy . . .

Apparently I missed the memo outlining all of that!

2015-07-21 10:56 PM

User image

Regular

They are obvious doing it for the cash prizes and sponsorships that we all enjoy . . .

Apparently I missed the memo outlining all of that!

Me, too.
    2015-07-21 11:02 PM
    in reply to: ok2try

User image

Subject: RE: ChelanMan Olympic & HIM
    Scott, maybe now that you can taste that podium, you'll spend a few minutes drilling your transitions over & over. Nice to do on a recovery day.

Deb,

That's a good idea. I've spent a lot of time on TrainerRoad working to improve my power numbers, but probably gave up a third my gains in poorly executed transitions. A little practice may improve them dramatically!

2015-07-21 11:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Penticton, BC

Scott - You're right about these tougher races being more valuable and more memorable.  I won't soon forget the race and I already would like to go back to Chelan for a swim.  It's a really nice body of water.  I thought of quitting often but never really considered it to be an option.  Coming to the finish line I felt pretty good.

With regards to my "putting it all together" I've heard people in other threads talk about "junk miles" and I've been increasingly suspicious that I've been doing this in my training this year.  I started being concerned in the spring when I realized I was getting slower in the pool rather than faster and I was getting the same feeling from biking and running.  I've also been trying to keep my running consistent and to increase my run fitness so I can get off the bike and run.  Yet, when I look back at my logs to what I was doing last year and the year before I really haven't progressed at all.  I have been following a plan and putting a lot of time into working out but somehow, as you say, I haven't been training for a triathlon.

I talked to my cycling coach in 2013 and he said that anyone can learn to swim, bike and run triathlon distances but it is a lot harder to put them all together and that seems to be what I am struggling with.  I'm still considering what changes I want to make to how I'm training.    

2015-07-22 12:33 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

With regards to my "putting it all together" I've heard people in other threads talk about "junk miles" and I've been increasingly suspicious that I've been doing this in my training this year.  I started being concerned in the spring when I realized I was getting slower in the pool rather than faster and I was getting the same feeling from biking and running.  I've also been trying to keep my running consistent and to increase my run fitness so I can get off the bike and run.  Yet, when I look back at my logs to what I was doing last year and the year before I really haven't progressed at all.  I have been following a plan and putting a lot of time into working out but somehow, as you say, I haven't been training for a triathlon.

I talked to my cycling coach in 2013 and he said that anyone can learn to swim, bike and run triathlon distances but it is a lot harder to put them all together and that seems to be what I am struggling with.  I'm still considering what changes I want to make to how I'm training.

Hey George,

I also hear the talk of junk miles.  However, I am not so sure I am willing to agree with the premise that there are "junk miles."  The reality is, you are going to get some fitness gain from anything you do.  You can go out for a 20-minute walk, and you will gain something.  I think where many miss out is they have no real plan.  They often don't understand why they are doing what they are doing in any given training.  There may be little to no knowledge of how the workout they just completed will combine with yesterdays workout, or next weeks workout to achieve a specific fitness goal.  Then, to complicate matters further, as triathletes we have three disciplines we train for.  While there may be little thought to how today's workout will impact fitness, there is often zero consideration for how today's long run may impact tomorrow's long bike ride, how a strength session this morning may impact a swim this afternoon, or how any of that interacts to make them perform better in a race next month.  So instead of a concern over so called "junk miles" I think the concern should be with understanding everything being done in training and how those workouts, individually and collectively, impact the overall fitness goal.

The flip side of the volume consideration is recovery.  I regularly see athletes who worry about how they are going to get in enough S/B/R volume.  They workout everyday, sometimes two maybe three times a day - and they don't improve, and they don't understand why.  One word - recovery.  Most of your body's adaptation to training stress occurs during recovery.  If you never allow proper recovery time, your body is not going to adapt very well.  The people that are training every day, week in and week out, are setting themselves up for a plateau, injury, sickness, burnout, and frustration.  I would argue that recovery is at least as important as training, perhaps more so - especially for us older guys/gals.

The other area where triathletes miss an opportunity to improve is they fail to understand that triathlon is a single timed sport consisting of three disciplines and transitions.  I hear comments like, "I crushed the bike, but my run was weak so I need to work on my run," or, "My swim was incredible, my best swim ever, but I just didn't feel right on the bike and then I couldn't get my legs under me. I just need to bike and run more."  Both of those statements point to a lack of understanding triathlon and a clear lack of understanding that the swim impacts the bike impacts the run.

I am sure you will get it figured out.  I think if you take a step back and look at the big picture, it will become clear.

2015-07-22 1:53 PM

User image

Regular

With regards to my "putting it all together" I've heard people in other threads talk about "junk miles" and I've been increasingly suspicious that I've been doing this in my training this year.  I'm still considering what changes I want to make to how I'm training.

Hey George,

I also hear the talk of junk miles.  However, I am not so sure I am willing to agree with the premise that there are "junk miles."  The reality is, you are going to get some fitness gain from anything you do. 

Then, to complicate matters further, as triathletes we have three disciplines we train for.  The flip side of the volume consideration is recovery.  I regularly see athletes who worry about how they are going to get in enough S/B/R volume.  I would argue that recovery is at least as important as training, perhaps more so - especially for us older guys/gals.

The other area where triathletes miss an opportunity to improve is they fail to understand that triathlon is a single timed sport consisting of three disciplines and transitions.  I hear comments like, "I crushed the bike, but my run was weak so I need to work on my run," or, "My swim was incredible, my best swim ever, but I just didn't feel right on the bike and then I couldn't get my legs under me. I just need to bike and run more."  Both of those statements point to a lack of understanding triathlon and a clear lack of understanding that the swim impacts the bike impacts the run.

I am sure you will get it figured out.  I think if you take a step back and look at the big picture, it will become clear.

George, I completely agree with Scott.

First, recovery. For me, I really, really need one (sometimes two) full rest days a week when I'm in full-on training mode. So, if you're doing base of 3 workouts per sport/week, that's already 9 workouts squeezed into 6 days, before adding incremental workouts on your weakest sport or possibly transitions. It was a huge physical toll on my body to the point that after putting in my long ride/runs on Saturday and Sunday, I really needed that Monday rest day. And I made sure I took it!

The other part to Scotts point is I found I had to be very aware of residual fatigue carrying over to negatively impact subsequent workouts. A hard morning bike ride would limit my ability to have a strong evening speed workout running the track. A hard run in the evening would carry over into my morning bike ride.

This all gets to the importance for us Gray Guys/Girls in developing a solid workout plan that accounts for physical stress, recovery and residual fatigue. Once I have my base, I know to improve on the bike and run I need to have one workout each week that is specific to volume, tempo and speed. Speed must be built over time through interval training which is incredibly stressful. Tempo runs teach me about maintaining pace. Long sessions are about building endurance/fitness. Therefore, the bike/run interval sessions have to be spaced at least two days apart to allow recovery. Tempo rides/runs can then be dropped in adjacent to the speed workouts with the volume ride/run hitting on the weekend.

So for me it might look something like this:

Mon--full rest
    Tues--morning swim, evening interval run
    Wednesday--morning or afternoon bike tempo
    Thursday--morning swim, evening run tempo
    Friday-morning bike interval, evening swim
    Saturday--morning distance run, afternoon swim
    Sunday--morning distance bike
    Lather, rinse, repeat

So, my goal is to implement a plan so that every workout has a specific goal directed at enhancing either my speed, pacing or fitness in each discipline. This is combined with a full rest day in between each specific sport workout of run and bike. I was less concerned about the swim as I found the pool workouts to have less residual carryover to my bike/run workouts. But then, I'm also a lousy swimmer.

To me, "garbage miles" is really a result of failing to go into each workout without a specific goal...i.e."I'm going to run for 45 minutes" OK, why? Is the workout goal to focus on building speed, running at or near race pace to begin to develop feel for pacing, or endurance? It's almost impossible to have garbage workouts when each activity is set up focus on one of these three areas.

Of course, life gets in the way so this is all easier said than done. Right now I'm still dealing with "post surgery recovery/pre-surgery donut diet/slacker program". My fitness is low and my weight is high. For the next four weeks my focus will really be on building back my volume/endurance and feel for each discipline. Once that's in place I will bring in specific interval and tempo workouts each week that are realistically adjusted to my current level of fitness. Well, at least that's the plan/goal.

Best,

Steve
    2015-07-23 11:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Penticton, BC

Thanks Scott and Steve.  I'm sure your assessment is right.  I've always been careful to have a rest day each week and take an easy week every fourth week but in retrospect I may need to increase my recovery times.  But, today I got a new wrinkle to make things interesting.

My troubles with my bike started with picking up a serious load of "tar" in a race and struggling with how to clean it off.  So far frequent scraping and gasoline have maybe cleaned off 80% but still lots left.  Then I had the saddle issue and a week ago I was told my tire should be replaced.  So far I've been able to get it all fixed but I took my bike to the LBS for regular maintenance yesterday and today I got a call that they found a crack in my carbon frame.

They have suggested we can send it to a company in Vancouver that does repairs to carbon frames.  They can't say how much it will cost but it could be gone for two to three weeks.  I can't ride it knowing the frame is cracked so I think I will get it done but even then I may still not trust the bike while riding.  I can't help but wonder how strong the repair would be.

Ever heard of or had experience with cracked frames and the repairing of them?

So far this week I have done nothing at all.  Tomorrow, I am planning to do an easy swim without any time or speed goals.

Edited by wenceslasz 2015-07-23 11:22 PM
    2015-07-24 11:49 AM

User image

Regular

So far this week I have done nothing at all.  Tomorrow, I am planning to do an easy swim without any time or speed goals.

Take your time, George. You spent a long day in the Sun. The recovery is funny. After Florida I was actually feeling OK after 4-5 days off. Then I tried to do some light workouts. The tank was empty. I got going after about a week, but it was at least 10 days before I started to feel like my body was able to start putting in good workouts.

My only experience with cracked carbon was the where the front derailleur mounts on the frame. A crack formed there so the derailleur would no longer stay in place. Felt guaranteed the frame so my LBS sent it in. I had it back in 10 days good as new.

You might post something up on the Slowtwitch Forum and ask for feedback. I'm pretty sure you'd have several people with experience with carbon frames provide you with some suggestions.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Fo...
    2015-07-25 11:42 AM

User image

Ever heard of or had experience with cracked frames and the repairing of them?

Hi George,

No experience with cracked bike frames, but I used to fly carbon gliders and they were repaired all the time. In general the repair was stronger than the original structure, but a little heavier.
    2015-07-27 11:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Penticton, BC

Steve - I've been really taking it easy.  No cycling or running but I need to gradually get going again.  My weight has been rising at an alarming rate.

I swam today in fairly rough conditions and got bounced around pretty good but I did finish the swim.  My time was a full 5 minutes slower for a 1900m swim than I usually manage in calm conditions.

I went back to the LBS and had them show me the crack in the frame and it is well away from any wear points so an impact ( I only know of one minor incident) rather than normal wear and tear.  They told me the same as Scott says about the repair being stronger than before so that alleviated some of my concerns but now I need to get going again so I'm planning a run tomorrow and if that goes well I'll build my swimming and running back up this week.  I'm also thinking of asking the LBS if they have a bike I can use for a couple weeks until mine is returned.

I feel like I've been slacking off for months.

2015-07-28 11:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Penticton, BC

I just heard from a friend who finished the Ironman Calgary race on Sunday so I wondered how Tammy made out.  I searched Female/ 45-49/USA and I found her.  Looks like she had a good day and her time was within seconds of my time last year.  I'm looking forward to hearing how she felt about the race.

2015-07-28 10:26 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED

Finished my first 70.3!!

I was pretty nervous about the race as I have really been on taper for about 6 weeks.  I was to be on vacation in NYC with planned runs and swims and ended up with a death in the family to fly home about 12 hours after arriving.   Didn't really do too much with training as the race was 14 days away so small little runs/rides and short swims.

My race report is here:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=534488

My opinion the Calgary race is bare bones from other IM races I have attended/supported - but it is also the only not-for-profit so some of it is understandable.   The bike course was a bit hillier than I was expecting, nothing too bad, but a bit more than I pictured.  Many said the second half was downhill and fast which it was; but it also had some significant rollers.

The lake where the swim was held - had a tragedy two days prior to the race so it was closed to pre-swims.  Luckily we had swam earlier the same day and I am so thankful - as I think the shakeout swim helped.   The coordinators had a moment of silence before the start for the little boy and it was fairly emotional - such a tragedy.   The swim course was confusing as they added a hook that was misunderstood by many and am told it was long.

Overall the race was fine - all I wanted was to finish within the cutoff of 8 hours and have a great bike. Towards the last 1K of run I started to get kind of emotional as I knew I had just tackled huge personal fears and gained some self confidence.   As I crossed the finish line my husband was there and gave me my medal.   We had a team of 5 from our town participate in the race, it was a great day!!   Many are registered for CDA 70.3 next June - but I am still contemplating...  

2015-07-28 11:31 PM
    in reply to: mtsnorider

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Penticton, BC
    Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED

Tammy - I posted a comment in your race report page  It sounds like you had a pretty good day.  Definitely a good bike ride.  If you were to do the CDA Half what might the water temperatures be in June?

My friend said they had trouble in the lake with the buoys and at times found herself swimming head-on into other swimmers.  I think this would have been at the "hook" you mention.  They certainly should be telling people about it.

2015-07-29 7:02 AM
    in reply to: mtsnorider

User image

Subject: RE: Calgary 70.3
    Congratulations Tammy!
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open