BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-06-29 6:14 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: IM CDA heat wave
Originally posted by EchoLkScott

Weather was pretty much as predicted. Here is a quote from my tri clubs Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/weraisethebar)

"The number of people who didn't finish is epic - definitely and not surprisingly harder hit in the older age groups. The total number of athletes in each age group could be off a little - impossible to tell unless someone had even half a swim split if they started or are just registered.

No one 70+ finished (out of 7)
3 of 9 65-59 men who started finished, no women (only one started)
23 of 40 60-64 men who started finished and we had 2! Gary Zasimovich & Eugene Partridge.
44 of 69 55-59 men finished... Brad Williams, Dave Morell, Brian Gaffin were ours
104 of 142 50-54 men... John Colvard, Josh Fishkin
52 of 72 women 45-49 finished - Dagmar Fronek
72 of 86 40-44 women finished - Jenn Edwards (5th!), Diane Haensel, Cristin Tillinghast. That's a tough group!
Nick Johnson was 4th out of 113 in the 25-29 men.

We had four RTB athletes who didn't make it to the finish line - that's 25% of our crew and our hearts go out to you! We wish you sweet sweet revenge sometime in the your future!"

I spent a lot of time tracking my friends on the Ironman site. It was clear people were struggling. Later in the day the run splits were coming in at 18-22 min/mile - clearly walking and not a fast walk. I hope the four that DNF'ed are OK. I expect some interesting stories at our OWS practice this Wednesday!

Man, that's some race day carnage. Thanks for sharing. I hope everyone of those folks that dropped out fully understands and appreciates that they make the right decision. It was dangerously hot yesterday.

Steve

2015-06-29 7:27 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Heat wave makes fire
A brush fire turned crazy last night. With hot temps, dry grassland and high winds a small fire turned into major devastation. 28 homes were lost and 4 square miles of mountain burned. We live up on a mountain across the Columbia River from our town. We sat up past midnight watching our hills and friends homes burn. It was a very sad evening.

(Wenatchee fires.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Wenatchee fires.jpg (109KB - 6 downloads)
2015-06-29 7:37 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: News you can use
2015-06-29 7:42 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
I am so sad for everyone whose homes went up in flames, and for those whose Ironman dreams did also. It's time everyone wised up about climate change... it's here.
I'm spending the week caring for my 2 pre-school grandchildren. They live in Oregon where the temps are near 100. They're visiting us here, where it's comfortably cool, but I think of their long lives ahead of them and wonder what they'll face
Deb
2015-06-29 9:06 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by EchoLkScott

Weather was pretty much as predicted. Here is a quote from my tri clubs Facebook page -

"The number of people who didn't finish is epic - definitely and not surprisingly harder hit in the older age groups. 

I followed the race all day yesterday.  The heat definitely took its toll, yet Andy Potts missed a course record by 3-seconds so clearly the heat could be managed.  That said, I fear there were any number of athletes that thought they were Superman, were under-prepared, or didn't manage the heat as well as they might have the suffered immensely through the course of the race.  I have no idea what WTC was thinking by moving the start time to an earlier time.  All that managed to do was put the bulk of the AG'ers into the heat of the day on the marathon.  Had they moved the start time back, the AG'ers would have been running as the heat was abating.  Wait, that wouldn't have worked, that would have meant the Pro's would have been in the heat of the day.  Hmmm, maybe there is a bit too much favoritism towards the pros?

Scott, I hope all your friends made it though OK. I am sure it will be a great learning experience for all involved.

2015-06-29 9:32 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman A brush fire turned crazy last night. With hot temps, dry grassland and high winds a small fire turned into major devastation. 28 homes were lost and 4 square miles of mountain burned. We live up on a mountain across the Columbia River from our town. We sat up past midnight watching our hills and friends homes burn. It was a very sad evening.

Steve,

I saw pictures on the news with the volume down and thought another fire had started in So. Calif.  My heart goes out to everyone effected.  We see it down here every fire season and with the high heat and drought, I have little doubt it is going to get much worse before it gets better.  Hope they get a handle on it up there.

2015-06-29 9:59 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: News you can use

Originally posted by lutzman Top marathon training tips from The Onion!

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/marathon-training-tips-50762

I especially liked #8, seeing as how I once thought my demise was at hand from this very affliction!

Thanks for sharing.

2015-06-30 12:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Steve - I heard about your fire and I was going to ask if it was close to you.  This morning we had a bit of a haze that we suspected was from down your way.  Hopefully, they'll get it under control pretty quickly.  We've had lots of little fires but nothing too serious yet.  Q13 News just said the Wenatchee fire was man made.

Scott - Interesting stats on IMCDA.  Hope your group is all okay.  I knew two people in the race.  Lisa Fitzgerald finished in 15:03 and Mike Ellis DNF'd after a decent swim and bike.  I know Mike is very strong so really surprised he didn't finish.  

2015-06-30 10:56 AM

User image

That's horrible Steve! Stay safe!

Did the fire burn all the way to the river? I have a friend that lives up on that hill, and his business is along Alt 97 West of the river. Could be very bad news for Phil!

2015-06-30 9:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Let's Go Swimming!

I finally got the clearance to get back in the pool this morning.  A little earlier than expected.  Doctor said my range of motion is pretty close to 90% and should be 100% after a bit more exercise.  All I really care about is I have enough ROM to swim freestyle!

Of course I had to immediately get in the pool and try the "new" shoulder out.  Swam 1,200 yards.  Averaged about 1:18/100.  I was pretty happy with that.  I have a ways to go, but no pain.  I haven't lost nearly as much swim fitness as I thought I might so it's all good!

My IM this year is out, but I can still salvage a couple Oly's and maybe a HIM near the end of the season.

Glad to finally be putting this chapter behind me!  I have had to deal with medical issues a couple times over the years, but this is the first injury.  The medical things, I never doubted that I would come back.  This time however, I just didn't know.  I have known for some time that this old body doesn't heal and recover like it did a few decades ago.  I have to admit, there has been a couple times in the past few months where I questioned whether I would ever be able to swim again.  Huge relief when I finished that first lap this afternoon and my arm was still attached to my torso.

Edited by k9car363 2015-06-30 9:32 PM
2015-06-30 10:17 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Subject: RE: Let's Go Swimming!
That's great news Scott!

2015-06-30 11:24 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

I finally got the clearance to get back in the pool this morning.   I have to admit, there has been a couple times in the past few months where I questioned whether I would ever be able to swim again.  Huge relief when I finished that first lap this afternoon and my arm was still attached to my torso.

Fabulous news, Scott.

PS--I couldn't swim a 1:18/100 on my best day.
2015-06-30 11:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Really great news Scott.  I bet the water felt particularly sweet today.  I imagine you were walking about 2' above the ground.

2015-07-01 10:05 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman
Originally posted by k9car363

I finally got the clearance to get back in the pool this morning.   I have to admit, there has been a couple times in the past few months where I questioned whether I would ever be able to swim again.  Huge relief when I finished that first lap this afternoon and my arm was still attached to my torso.

Fabulous news, Scott. PS--I couldn't swim a 1:18/100 on my best day.

That's OK Steve, I can't run anywhere near a 7:00 mile.  I may beat you out of the water, but you'll crush me in the run!  Just really glad we have different long term goals!

2015-07-01 11:43 AM

User image

I have to say the IM CDA heat was BRUTAL and I was part of the support crew and not an athlete.

My husband volunteered during the swim and the lake was flat calm and warm.  Those with farmer john (sleeveless suits) were probably very thankful.  My friend did a panic purchase about 10 days before and bought one and is so glad she did.   The blind army major doing the race was amazing to watch.  My hubby said watching their swim was impressive - no tether just taps on the feet for direction.  Bike was tandem and run was a piece of twine held by fingers.  All participants made it out of the water on time with the last one being across with 14 seconds to spare and did it with a bum shoulder - he posted later he missed the bike cut off by 4 minutes but has since hired a swim coach to learn side stroke and is ready for another one later this swimmer - his shoulder surgery will wait.

My friend had the swim of her life - great time for her - she looked and felt great heading toward the bike - first lap on the bike was decent - the furnace hadn't turned on full blast yet - she had a smile and thumbs up.  Second lap took its toll on many and her - as we were waiting for her to come in by the Bike In - and 4:30 was inching on her - they were unloading pick-up load after load of bikers either too sick to finish or throwing up the white flag - the heat was unbearable to the average Joe...  In the shade on the grass you were sweating and we weren't even riding or running.  Anyway -we saw my friend rounding the corner coming in to the bike in and I think we lost our voices yelling at her to get in - she squeaked in and they let her through - she got out of the transition in time - as the person behind her was halted he was too late.

The heat was still climbing at this point and she was walking - my husband walked with her for a bit - out to party corner - she was in great spirits and was jacked she swam 32 minutes faster than last year and made the bike cut-off - because last year she was pulled at mile 91- as the wind was hideous.   But... she didn't make the 13.1 cut off - probably missed it by 15 minutes.   I did see one gentleman run his heart out to the turn-around and still missed the cut-off, it was devastating to see him afterward.

IM CDA only had about 1650 registered - down from last year's 2150 and 374 of this year's were a DNF - I heard twice their normal number.   IM is such an incredible event but the heat really took its toll. Mike Reilly commented it was the hottest IM he had announced.  My friend said the bike water stations ran out of water for those back-of-the-packers--Cyclists were crossing lanes to get water wherever available.   The pavement burned their feet if they stopped.   But with all of the trials and tribulations of the heat - many were successful at crossing the finish with sheer determination, focus and perseverance .   I said many times that day - when you go through an IM, in any condition, especially today - you just have the ability to do most anything because of strong willed determination.

My husband didn't realize how much work and how tiring it is to be spectator/support crew for an ironman athlete (this year we only had 1, last year we about 5).  he also said if he had watched one first - he may not have done one.    If you are inkling to do an Ironman - I strongly suggest investing in the GPS tracker for your support crew - the IM update is very slow and it was hard to gauge where our athlete would be.

Kudos and congrats to any individual participating and/or finishing IM CDA.   Hats off - they deserve special treatment!

2015-07-01 11:47 AM

User image

Scott - that is so great to hear.  I can only imagine how you felt when you did those first laps.

Congrats to you!

2015-07-01 11:50 AM

User image

Steve,

So so sorry to hear about this.  We heard about the fire but I didn't realize the magnitude or devastation.  

Thinking of you and those in and around Wenatchee.

2015-07-01 11:02 PM
in reply to: mtsnorider

User image

Regular
Originally posted by mtsnorider

I have to say the IM CDA heat was BRUTAL and I was part of the support crew and not an athlete.

My husband volunteered during the swim and the lake was flat calm and warm. 

My husband didn't realize how much work and how tiring it is to be spectator/support crew for an ironman athlete (this year we only had 1, last year we about 5).  he also said if he had watched one first - he may not have done one.    If you are inkling to do an Ironman - I strongly suggest investing in the GPS tracker for your support crew - the IM update is very slow and it was hard to gauge where our athlete would be.

Kudos and congrats to any individual participating and/or finishing IM CDA.   Hats off - they deserve special treatment!

Tammy--Nice report. Thanks for sharing!

Steve
2015-07-01 11:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Subject: ---

Edited by lutzman 2015-07-01 11:07 PM
2015-07-01 11:07 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: ---sorry. double post
2015-07-02 11:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Last Sunday while out on my bike ride I had a flat tire.  No big deal, I changed out the tube and got going again.  Later I cut the ride short due to my saddle issues but I did ride 95km.

Today, I headed out for a ride on the same road and I'm riding over an hour without any pain (!!!).  Yay, but then very near the same spot I had my flat on Sunday, I hear a quick "pop".  I checked my tires they seemed good but a short while later I realized I had another flat tire.  I dismounted and started changing the tire only to realize I had taken my under the seat tool/gear bag off the bike on Sunday.  I had two full bottles of Perpetuem so I wasn't worried that I was in for a long walk.

My wife was driving "Sherpa" and ahead of me but not sure how long it would take me to walk to where she was waiting or how long before she would start to get suspicious of my absence.  I started walking.  A farmer offered to let me use his workshop to fix my tire and I would have taken him up on the offer if I hadn't had my wife to rely on.

I wound up walking almost 3 km (2 miles) in 30 minutes before I saw my wife come over a hill in the distance.  If she hadn't come when she did I would have had another 3km to walk.

I was disappointed to cut the ride short.  I've basically done nothing all week so I'm feeling guilty about it.  I was pleased to find I had no pain but I need to ride again on Saturday to see if I can last longer on this new saddle.

I hope everyone else is having a better week than me.

2015-07-03 7:40 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Hi everyone, sounds like an eventful spring, start of summer for a lot of you, some good some not so good!

I did my first mini tri with my club last night in close to a year. It was my first swim since last summer and it felt good to be in the water again, although the temps were around 59. somehow i was near the front of the pack coming out of the water, but it was a very short course. I was surprised that i did pretty good considering my training has been so sporadic. I haven't done a brick at all, but the legs actually felt good coming off the bike. this will definitely help keep me motivated again, hopefully the water warms up a few degrees soon, sure glad i invested in a full wetsuit recently!

Steve, sorry to hear of the fire, living in the Sierras most of my life I was all to familiar with the devastating effects.
I can't imagine doing a tri in that heat.

Scott, glad to hear you are back in the water making us all look bad even after your surgery

Tammy, thanks for the report.

George, good luck on your next ride, hopefully you get the bad luck out of the way and can enjoy a complete ride, I've done too many long walks after a bike failure of some kind! not fun in bike shoes.

Have a good 4th everyone, I hope that you have some good weather and time to enjoy it.

Dan
2015-07-03 11:52 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
Scott, that's great news. I bet you're really relieved to know you're still able to swim again.
Tammy, that's a good race report.I also heard in the news something about a truckfull of bees overturning somewhere near the race course.
Dan, glad you're back!
For me, hosting a family reunion tomorrow, then back to normal soon after. I'm amazed that I managed to do any workouts at all with the grandkids here, but if I got started at 6 am I could work one in until about 7:30. A good week.
Deb
2015-07-03 4:36 PM
in reply to: mtsnorider

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by mtsnorider

Tammy,

I have read so many stories about the horror show that was IMCDA, it was nice to hear from someone that was actually there.

Thank you for sharing!

2015-07-03 4:42 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wenceslasz

I was pleased to find I had no pain but I need to ride again on Saturday to see if I can last longer on this new saddle.

I hope everyone else is having a better week than me.

George,

I missed that you have a new saddle!  Glad it seems to be helping.

By the way, going from riding with pain to riding without pain makes it a good week!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open