BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-07-29 9:02 PM
in reply to: mtsnorider

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED
Originally posted by mtsnorider

Finished my first 70.3!!

Towards the last 1K of run I started to get kind of emotional as I knew I had just tackled huge personal fears and gained some self confidence.   As I crossed the finish line my husband was there and gave me my medal.   We had a team of 5 from our town participate in the race, it was a great day!!   Many are registered for CDA 70.3 next June - but I am still contemplating...  

Congratulations on your accomplishment! A very nice testament to your discipline and training.

I'm thinking about CDA 70.3 as well. Just not sure I want to bite off the amount of training required to do well.

Well done!

Steve

2015-07-30 6:51 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

I'm thinking about CDA 70.3 as well. Just not sure I want to bite off the amount of training required to do well.

Steve

Steve,

To help you decide!

(nike-just-do-it2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
nike-just-do-it2.jpg (5KB - 8 downloads)
2015-07-30 10:32 PM
in reply to: mtsnorider

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Finished my first 70.3!!

Congrats Tammy!  I know you put in a LOT of work for this race.  You finished with time to spare - good job!

2015-07-30 11:37 PM

User image

Finished my first 70.3!!

Towards the last 1K of run I started to get kind of emotional as I knew I had just tackled huge personal fears and gained some self confidence.   As I crossed the finish line my husband was there and gave me my medal.   We had a team of 5 from our town participate in the race, it was a great day!!   Many are registered for CDA 70.3 next June - but I am still contemplating...  

Congratulations on your accomplishment! A very nice testament to your discipline and training.

Well done!

Steve

I'm also thinking about the CDA 70.3. Camp at CDA was fun, I'm sure the race will be a blast!
2015-07-31 7:28 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Spencer, New York
Congratulations Tammy on a job well done!
Our local race on Sunday is also an all-volunteer operation, except for the timing company. It's a lot of work for the club but I really like the atmosphere it creates. So many people from the community volunteer or support it in other ways. I think it makes a difference in the whole community feeling, although ours isn't so confused as yours sounds. But it's only got sprint, intermediate & youth races. (I'll be there tomorrow helping set up the transition area.)
Happy recovery to you!
Deb
2015-08-01 11:12 AM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Mental Focus
Hi Grey guys/girls:

I hope you're well on your way into a fabulous weekend. August 1....summer's probably at it's peak. Up here when I get up to ride my bike before work, it's still dark. Man, I miss the light of those longer days already! We had light at 4:15...not it's dark until 4:45.

I saw this article on mental toughness Ironman.com. There is a lot of truth here and it's something I know I need to really focus on improving. For me, it's so natural to self-talk my way into making a hard workout even harder by hearing an inner voice that says, "You're going to hard, you'll never maintain this pace, you should probably walk for a while, how are you going to run another 10 miles" etc., etc., etc. Why do that?

Great advice in the article on staying in the moment and resetting self-talk to focus on the positive.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2015/07/mental-tough...

Have a great weekend out there!

Steve

2015-08-01 2:19 PM

User image

Hi Grey guys/girls:

I hope you're well on your way into a fabulous weekend. August 1....summer's probably at it's peak. Up here when I get up to ride my bike before work, it's still dark. Man, I miss the light of those longer days already! We had light at 4:15...not it's dark until 4:45.

I saw this article on mental toughness Ironman.com. There is a lot of truth here and it's something I know I need to really focus on improving. For me, it's so natural to self-talk my way into making a hard workout even harder by hearing an inner voice that says, "You're going to hard, you'll never maintain this pace, you should probably walk for a while, how are you going to run another 10 miles" etc., etc., etc. Why do that?

Great advice in the article on staying in the moment and resetting self-talk to focus on the positive.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2015/07/mental-tough...

Have a great weekend out there!

Steve

Good stuff Steve!

On a similar topic, I read a good article on "Mental Training: 3 Strategies for Building Resilience".

http://trstriathlon.com/mental-resilience-training-for-triathletes/

2015-08-03 11:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Do we have any history buffs in the group?  On Friday I was just finishing my swim and I stood up in waist deep water and heard a plane overhead.  I looked up to see a B-17 bomber flying low and slow right over me.  It was pretty cool to see.  Then today, I was just wading out to start my swim and the bomber had just taken off from our local airport and when I looked up it was again flying low and slow and banking to the east as I watched.  Definitely worth postponing the start of my swim.

The bomber was here for people to see and fly in to raise funds for maintaining the plane.  

After the bomber flew off to the south I swam a 2K swim in perfect conditions.  Our lake has been so nice all summer.  It was getting too warm before ChelanMan but it has cooled off a bit since and it is just perfect.  Maybe 72F-ish.

Cycling and running tomorrow.

2015-08-04 5:54 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: Race report
My race report for Cayuga Lake Tri-Intermediate is up.
It was a good race, despite the heat exhaustion. Around here, we consider 85° to be HOT!
I dug very deep, raced with intelligence, and never chickened out mentally. That would be success in my estimation.
Alone in my AG; but if ranked with the 10 women over 55, I would be third. I'll be 68 in 2 weeks. It's a Fountain of Youth.
I'm already seeing how I can be faster next year.
Hope everyone else is having as much fun as me.

Deb
2015-08-04 7:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Great stuff Steve! I especially like the part "Is what you’re saying to yourself something you'd say to someone running next to you?" Great advice in all aspects of life.

Hope everyone's summer is progressing nicely.

2015-08-04 7:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
George,

What a great way to start or end some training, I love those old war birds! It's always great to see them still flying.

2015-08-06 5:47 AM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Race report

Originally posted by ok2try My race report for Cayuga Lake Tri-Intermediate is up. It was a good race, despite the heat exhaustion. Around here, we consider 85° to be HOT! I dug very deep, raced with intelligence, and never chickened out mentally. That would be success in my estimation. Alone in my AG; but if ranked with the 10 women over 55, I would be third. I'll be 68 in 2 weeks. It's a Fountain of Youth. I'm already seeing how I can be faster next year. Hope everyone else is having as much fun as me. Deb

Deb,

Good race report.

I have a couple questions for you:

1) How much value do you place on the pre-race run through on the bike course?

2) In your race report you said, "On the big hills I had no more easy gears."  What cassette are you running?  Have you considered a different cassette with different gearing?

3) In your race report you also said, ". . . on these hills I felt like I was just taking a Sunday cruise in the park compared to the effort I could see others making."  I wonder what you meant by this.  Did you mean hitting your target power had you very comfortable, or do you mean you are concerned you were not riding hard enough?

If memory serves, you get another dose from the "fountain of youth" in just a couple weeks!

2015-08-06 6:02 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Do we have any history buffs in the group?  On Friday I was just finishing my swim and I stood up in waist deep water and heard a plane overhead.  I looked up to see a B-17 bomber flying low and slow right over me.  It was pretty cool to see.  Then today, I was just wading out to start my swim and the bomber had just taken off from our local airport and when I looked up it was again flying low and slow and banking to the east as I watched.  Definitely worth postponing the start of my swim.

The bomber was here for people to see and fly in to raise funds for maintaining the plane.  

After the bomber flew off to the south I swam a 2K swim in perfect conditions.  Our lake has been so nice all summer.  It was getting too warm before ChelanMan but it has cooled off a bit since and it is just perfect.  Maybe 72F-ish.

George,

You might say I am a history buff . . . at least with respect to World War II and the air war.

Way back when I was in high-school I was a WWII fanatic.  At the time, I had hopes of attending the U.S. Air Force Academy so I was fascinated by the air war (I actually got the appointment, however found out I was too colorblind to fly in the military - so why go in the Air Force if you can't fly jets?).  We live in a retirement community here in So. Cal. and there are several WWII vets close by.  I had the privilege of meeting a gentleman that flew 54 bombing missions in a B-17 over Germany and he lived to tell about it.  We met for lunch several times and the stories he had to tell were incredible.  I met another neighbor that served on the USS Yorktown.  I was almost obsessed with the Battle of Midway.  Here was a guy that was there!  He truly brought the history books to life and provided a perspective that words on paper could never achieve.

2015-08-06 11:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by k9car363

George,

You might say I am a history buff . . . at least with respect to World War II and the air war.

Way back when I was in high-school I was a WWII fanatic.  At the time, I had hopes of attending the U.S. Air Force Academy so I was fascinated by the air war (I actually got the appointment, however found out I was too colorblind to fly in the military - so why go in the Air Force if you can't fly jets?).  We live in a retirement community here in So. Cal. and there are several WWII vets close by.  I had the privilege of meeting a gentleman that flew 54 bombing missions in a B-17 over Germany and he lived to tell about it.  We met for lunch several times and the stories he had to tell were incredible.  I met another neighbor that served on the USS Yorktown.  I was almost obsessed with the Battle of Midway.  Here was a guy that was there!  He truly brought the history books to life and provided a perspective that words on paper could never achieve.

My father was a fighter pilot in WWII - flew P-51s in the pacific. He was forced to bail-out after one battle - spent a month in the hospital. Later he was 60 miles from Nagasaki when they dropped the second A-Bomb.

My dad seldom talked of the war. I learned most of what I know about his service from others. He did, however, pass on his love of aircraft and flying. I learned to fly gliders when I was 14 at Fancher Field in East Wenatchee (probably not far from where you live Steve) and, with the support of my dad, became a national soaring champion when I was 19. We spent a lot of time at air museums and he loved to describe the flying characteristics of the WWII fighters. He inspired me so much that I earned a PhD in aerospace engineering and have spent my career in the industry.

When I was a kid the B-17 was my favorite WWII aircraft - probably because of the show "12 O'Clock High". It drove my dad crazy that I preferred a bomber to a fighter!

Edited by EchoLkScott 2015-08-06 12:00 PM
2015-08-08 12:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Scott, Scott and Dan - I didn't expect anyone would care much about my B17 story.  It was really neat seeing the plane and just seemed even more amazing by what I was doing at the time.  I also got a good look at the bomber through binoculars.  Last year we had a B25 bomber visit town as well.

I've always been interested in WWI and II history and particularly talking to the fellows who were there.  I remember sitting at Winnipeg beach as a kid 1959-ish and listening to veterans talking about D-Day and their experiences.  More recently, I met a German fellow who fought in every major front up to 1942 when he was captured at El Alamein.  He spent the rest of the war as a POW with all the survivors of the Bismarck.  A neighbour was a POW in a Japanese camp from 1941 to the end of the war and he wrote a book about it.  Pretty amazing story of survival.

Midway - I watch the movie fairly often.  Memphis Belle was also a pretty good movie.

12 O'clock High - Funny you mention this movie.  I watched it on the weekend because of seeing the bomber.  P51 pilot would be pretty interesting.  As for aerospace engineering interesting how things in our lives take us in directions you might never have considered otherwise.  I had considered aerospace engineering a long time ago but then life took me in a different direction.

Being Canadian my exposure was more to the navy and the European theatre (and more interest in planes like the Spitfire, Lancasters and Mosquitoes).

Sorry for getting off track for a while.  I'll get back to training now.  I had a bad run today and no swim - too high a wind.  

2015-08-09 8:23 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by EchoLkScott

My father was a fighter pilot in WWII - flew P-51s in the pacific. He was forced to bail-out after one battle - spent a month in the hospital. Later he was 60 miles from Nagasaki when they dropped the second A-Bomb. My dad seldom talked of the war. I learned most of what I know about his service from others. He did, however, pass on his love of aircraft and flying. I learned to fly gliders when I was 14 at Fancher Field in East Wenatchee (probably not far from where you live Steve) and, with the support of my dad, became a national soaring champion when I was 19. We spent a lot of time at air museums and he loved to describe the flying characteristics of the WWII fighters. He inspired me so much that I earned a PhD in aerospace engineering and have spent my career in the industry. When I was a kid the B-17 was my favorite WWII aircraft - probably because of the show "12 O'Clock High". It drove my dad crazy that I preferred a bomber to a fighter!

Scott,

Now I am slightly jealous that your dad was a P-51 pilot - my absolute favorite airplane of all time.  I had a chance to ride in a 2-seat Mustang (customized P-51D) about 10 years ago.  Pretty close to the best 45 minutes of my life.  I had my private pilot license at 16, my commercial ticket at 18, and a multi-engine rating at 20.  Unfortunately, while I could fly civilian, without the hours you get in the military a career in the pilot's seat would have been all but un-obtainable.  I started soaring at 23 but lost interest as I got older and started the family thing.  Never lost my interest in aviation in general and WWII specifically.  NOTHING like the sound a war bird coming overhead!

12 O'Clock high - my favorite show back in the day.

2015-08-16 4:33 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by k9car363

I had the privilege of meeting a gentleman that flew 54 bombing missions in a B-17 over Germany and he lived to tell about it. .

Hi Scott - was his name "lucky"?

Yes, still here lurking.

Thinking on beefing up the swim work Scott starting in the fall - may put a half on the calendar for 2016.

Hope everyone is doing well.

James

2015-08-17 11:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I'm counting down to my last race of the season on August 30th.  I've been following a plan but for this week and next I feel the plan is a bit intense for a taper.  Maybe intended for a younger more resilient athlete.

I want to do some swim bike running but nothing too intense.  I do feel I need to keep running at least easy runs - maybe shorter tempo runs.  I rode a long ride yesterday (82km/51mi) but not sure how much more cycling to do from here on.

Any thoughts or suggestions for the next two weeks?

2015-08-18 1:59 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I'm counting down to my last race of the season on August 30th.  I've been following a plan but for this week and next I feel the plan is a bit intense for a taper.  Maybe intended for a younger more resilient athlete.

I want to do some swim bike running but nothing too intense.  I do feel I need to keep running at least easy runs - maybe shorter tempo runs.  I rode a long ride yesterday (82km/51mi) but not sure how much more cycling to do from here on.

Any thoughts or suggestions for the next two weeks?

Hey George,

First thing to remember is that a taper is about feeling fresh.  You aren't concerned about fitness at this point and you aren't trying to get faster or stronger.  You are trying to rest, recover, and increase your race day potential.  I would say don't worry about specific workouts so much as worry about being fresh.  With that philosophy, your taper plan needs to be dynamic so it can adjust depending upon how you feel.

Three things that apply to a proper taper:

1. Volume drops
  2. Intensity remains or increases
  3. Frequency of sessions remains at the beginning of taper and drops near the end

You want to rest while improving form  That means you need to continue to train at race intensity.  With the shorter volume, you will be allowing your body to rest.

You still have 10-days.  This week, I would do a normal workout schedule but drop volume by 25-45%.  Next week,  I would drop to one session for each sport.  Something like Tuesday run (so you have the longest to recover), Wednesday bike, and Thursday swim.  ALL of those workouts should be at race pace and all of them should be < 50% of your "normal" workout duration/distance.  If you are like me, a quick run on Friday - something like a mile - just to remind your legs that they have to move.

Hope that helps.

2015-08-19 10:21 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: Race report
Hi all,

I've been away a bit and busy. Feels like a long time since I checked in.

First things first:

Tammy - congrats on the 70.3 finish! Enjoyed your report.
Deb - Well done at Cayuga! Nice finish. Your reports inspire me to get after it as a "youngster" of 57.

I"m just back from the Timberman 70.3 race on Lake Winniepesaukee in New Hampshire.

What a great time. In addition to enjoying the race, I met a bunch of great people. One very satisfying element of the weekend was attending a pre race session Saturday with other fundraisers where we met and heard stories from some of the "Wish Kids" families who have been helped by these donations. I'm not particularly emotional, but I must say there wasn't a dry eye in the audience as some of the personal stories were told.

One other note to share regards meeting Andy Potts, the professional who won the race on Sunday. Andy has been a supporter of the MaW program and he joined the session on Saturday as he does every year. He spent close to an hour chatting and taking pictures, etc. I spent a few minutes chatting with him and he was very gracious and seemed to enjoy spending time with the group. He mentioned his family connections in New Hampshire, how much he loves the race and how this race sets the pros up for Kona, etc. He even gave me a few racing tips, lol.

As far as the race itself, I finished in 6:42, which was in line with my sub 7 hour target. This was my first race at this distance. I filed a race report, but the short version is:

Swim: 48 minutes - As expected, since this is my biggest weakness and I knew that I was under trained. The very large number of swimmers and choppy water were a new wrinkle for me, but did not cause any issues. I just need to become a better swimmer.
Bike: 3:08 As expected. Backed off after mile 30 to try to conserve energy for the run. In retrospect, I could have gone even easier on the bike.
Run: 2.40 OUCH! The 85& temps, bright sun and humidity really took a toll on me. I planned to walk the aid stations, but even that wasn't enough. This segment of the race was a strong dose of reality.

With that said, I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere, the setting and the race itself. Think I may do this one again.

Happy training.

2015-08-19 11:16 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Announcement
Ok, the last couple of weeks I disappeared due to work requirements. It's been so hot our fruit is way ahead of schedule and we're into harvest now. That means customer calls all over the U.S. It's been trains, planes and automobiles.

Through it all, my training has been mediocre. Nonetheless, I'm entered in the Lake Meridian Sprint this weekend. It will be my first race in 14 months since kissing the pavement in Boise. I'm sure I'll be way, way slower than when I last pinned on a number, but I really need to get my juices flowing again with competition before the year is over.

Wish me luck. I'll need it.

Best,

Steve

2015-08-21 6:08 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Steve,

Great to hear that you're getting back in the game. Best of luck in the race!

Dave
2015-08-21 2:21 PM

User image

Ok, the last couple of weeks I disappeared due to work requirements. It's been so hot our fruit is way ahead of schedule and we're into harvest now. That means customer calls all over the U.S. It's been trains, planes and automobiles.

Through it all, my training has been mediocre. Nonetheless, I'm entered in the Lake Meridian Sprint this weekend. It will be my first race in 14 months since kissing the pavement in Boise. I'm sure I'll be way, way slower than when I last pinned on a number, but I really need to get my juices flowing again with competition before the year is over.

That's great news Steve. I'll be there as well, doing the Olympic.
2015-08-21 7:57 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by EchoLkScott

That's great news Steve. I'll be there as well, doing the Olympic.

I'll look for you! I should be easy to find. I'll be the slow old guy.

2015-08-22 12:26 AM

User image

I'll look for you! I should be easy to find. I'll be the slow old guy.

Me too! I'm riding a white Quintano Roo Kilo bike.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open