BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2014-12-16 6:28 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED
GROUP FOCUS: The 50+ "graying" athlete. The big challenge is most training programs are suited to the type of training levels/recovery we could sustain in our 20's, 30's and 40's. It's just not the same once you cross that magical age 50+ line. While the competitive fire burns bright, times get slower, the legs often feel heavier, weight inevitably creeps up and recovery times are longer. The focus of this forum is helping the over-50 athlete get to the start and cross the finish line feeling like a champion regardless of experience in triathlon or the distance of your event.

This forum will be co-mentored by Steve Lutz and Scott Kaminski. The background on each of us follows:

NAME: lutzman (BT screen name) / Steve Lutz

STORY: I'm a long term distance runner who jumped into Triathlon several years ago. Like many older athletes, I found the constant pounding of marathon (run only) distance training to be increasingly injury plagued. Despite the fact that I really enjoyed distance running (including qualifying and completing the Boston Marathon three times) I switched to multi-sport to broaden my fitness base and hopefully reduce the running related injuries.

Since getting started in Triathlon, I've completed 28 triathlons and earned USA Triathlon Age Group All American Honors in both Triathlon and Duathlon. I also qualified for TEAM USA to compete at the 2014 Age Group World Championships in sprint distance triathlon this past summer in Edmonton, Canada.

Unfortunately, I crashed on my bike at the Boise HIM last June and all of my great plans for 2014 were crushed. The crash outcome was not good. I broke my collar bone, shoulder and eight ribs. So, I’ve become very familiar with the challenges of “recovery” for the 50+ athlete. That said, I’m working on my comeback to rejoin the triathlon racing community.

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married 34 years with three sons, all grown.

CURRENT TRAINING: I generally train between 9-12 hours per week during the race season. This typically includes 3-4 training sessions per sport with one or two additional sets in the gym focused on weight training (very important for older athletes due to declining muscle mass).

2013 Races--Lavaman Olympic (6th AG), San Diego ITU IOlympic (6th AG), Spring Festival Triathlon (1st AG), Moses Lake Olympic Triathlon (1st AG), ChelanMan Olympic Triathlon (1st AG), US Age Group National Championships (15th AG), Five Mile Lake Sprint Triathlon (1st AG), US Long Course Duathlon National Championships (3rd AG), Apple Capital Duathlon(1st AG), US Age Group Duathlon Standard Distance Championships (8th AG)

2014 Races—Florida Half-Ironman (14th AG), Boise Half Iron (DNF-crash).

2015 PLANNED RACES: ClubMed 25/75 Championship, Mt. Rainier Duathlon, Hawaii 70.3, ChelanMan Olympic and Sprint Distance, USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships (Olympic & Sprint distances), USA Triathlon Duathlon Age Group National Championships.

WEIGHTLOSS: Triathlon has really helped my weight. Being a runner, I was never heavy, but the full body workouts have helped me drop some extra weight that had been stuck with me for awhile. When I was a decent runner (age 25-35) and could run a mid-30's 10K, my weight was about 152. I gained over the next 20 years and was sitting at about 170. That's not too bad since I'm 5'10", but I'm at about 170 as a result of my post-crash recovery. It’s time for me to lose some weight..

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I'm a student of everything I do. I've consistently had a triathlon coach helping me with workout and program design. And since my work life focuses on statistics, I'm pretty analytical. I've had good success in a short amount of time in triathlon and I would like to continue to learn from others but also share what I've learned from 30+ years of endurance sport training....while focusing on how workouts can be adjusted to better align with the needs of older athletes.

I also have had the honor of being a mentor here on BT over the past two years. We have had a very good group that continues posting even today. Our summer/fall group forum had about 18,000 views and nearly 1,000 posts.

Edited by lutzman 2015-01-05 10:09 AM

2014-12-16 8:37 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's -Co Mentor
NAME: k9car363 (BT screen name) – Scott Kubinski

GROUP FOCUS: The 50+ "gray" athlete. In addition to Steve’s comments on training levels and recovery for the gray athlete, I would also like to include a minor focus on the hidden aspects of triathlon – those parts that are equally as important as the disciplines of swim, bike, and run but are often overlooked or even ignored. I call them the other triathlon disciplines and they include: Nutrition, Transition, Rest/Recovery, and the Mental aspect. It is sometimes those little things we don’t think about that can have a large impact on race day. My hope is to help everyone get across the finish line at their peak performance level regardless of when you started your triathlon journey or how far you are racing.

This forum will be co-mentored by Steve and Scott

STORY: I swam competitively from age 11 all through high school and college and also as a member of a club team. I was an elite swimmer during the 70’s and early 80’s and I was fortunate to have held an individual world record for a brief period of time. I was also a member of several world and American record setting relays.

My triathlon journey really began with Julie Moss on her hands and knees crawling to the finish line. That was, to this day, the most heroic athletic achievement I have ever seen. I immediately knew I wanted to do an Ironman. However, the sad reality was that I had spent 5-8 hours a day in a pool, seven days a week, 365 days a year, for over a decade, and the thought of going back to full time training was not very appealing. On top of that, I had another problem - running and I had never really been friends. The Ironman has that little marathon thing at the end and that simply terrified me.

A couple decades later, my Ironman dream had faded like the morning mist. Although I didn't move to fulfill my Ironman dream, I did tell anyone who would listen that, "I could do an Ironman." Then a few years ago, I went to a client's house and there on the wall of his home office was a picture of him crossing the finish line in Kona. Of course, my first comment was, "I could have done that!" After a year of him hearing about how I could have done that, he finally called me out in May 2012. He basically said, "You’re going to go to your grave saying you could have done it, or you can do it."
His gentle 4 x 4 to the head helped me to set my goal to qualify for the Ironman World Championships in Kaileua-Kona, Hawaii.

FAMILY STATUS: Very happily married 28 years with one daughter and two sons, all grown. We also have 6 Grandkids and had we known they were so much fun we would have had them first!

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now my training is on the light side as I always pull back in late fall and early winter. I will ramp up to 24-30 hours per week by summertime.

2015 PLANNED RACES: Ontario Mills 5K, Desert Sprint Triathlon, Run Catalina 10K, Hollywood Half-Marathon, San Diego Marathon, Goleta Beach Olympic Triathlon, Carlsbad Olympic Triathlon, Ironman Louisville.

WEIGHTLOSS: When I retired from competitive swimming in 1982 my weight naturally began to go up a bit. I began coaching, which was not a replacement for the rigors of working out daily. Eventually I found myself over 100 pounds overweight. I have become somewhat of a self-taught “expert” in nutrition and while I eat properly for the most part, I still occasionally battle with the scale because my motivation and will-power doesn’t seem to extend to the kitchen.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I am an I.T. Consultant so I definitely suffer from a pretty serious “Geek” factor. I like to understand the “how and why” of things meaning that I am a data junky and have been known to spend hours analyzing training data. My quest for knowledge is unending so I am constantly reading and furthering my understanding of the body’s physiological response to training stimulus and how we can become faster.
I trained for over a decade under a man who is arguably the greatest swimming coach that has ever walked a pool deck. I was there when strength work first began to appear in swimming. I was there when paddles were developed (actually they were first patented by my swim coach). I was being taught about periodization in training long before it was commonly accepted. I competed at the highest level and understand the mental side of competition and how important it is to success.

Finally, I love helping others and passing along my experience and knowledge. Nothing makes me happier than helping a fellow triathlete to experience an “Ah-Ha” moment.
2014-12-28 11:05 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--OPEN!

Because of the way the mentor group starts up, Steve posted my bio.  Just wanted to say I am a real person and not Steve's alter ego!  And also correct the spelling of my name - Scott Kubinski.

Looking forward to the next few months in the Gray Guys/Gals Master's focus Triathlon Mentor Group!

2014-12-29 9:54 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

Because of the way the mentor group starts up, Steve posted my bio.  Just wanted to say I am a real person and not Steve's alter ego!  And also correct the spelling of my name - Scott Kubinski.

Looking forward to the next few months in the Gray Guys/Gals Master's focus Triathlon Mentor Group!

Yep. My bad on the spelling....so much for my failing memory skills!

Sorry Scott!
2014-12-29 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

I'd like to re-join the group if that's OK.  I know I disappeared in the fall - had some injury issues and other challenges - but I've put together a 2 year plan that ends with my first attempt at a HIM in October 2016 and I think I'll need the encouragement/motivation/advice here if I'm going to actually reach my goal.

NAME: soccermom15 (BT screen name) / Janet

STORY: I started as a runner about 8 years ago and did my first sprint tri in 2009.  Since then I've done 1-2 sprints per year along with my usual assortment of running races.  I'm not fast (usually BOP) but enjoy racing and the whole environment of race day.  I also usually volunteer at several tri's during the year.  I also enjoy duathlons (I'm a horrible swimmer) although there aren't too many that are local to me. 

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married 24 years with 2 kids, one in graduate school, one a junior in college.

CURRENT TRAINING: At the moment I'm training for a May HM (Indy Mini) so my run is the focus although I'm starting a winter cycling program this week.  I modified it a little but hopefully it will still be enough to help my improve somewhat on the bike this winter.  Swimming has been non-existent since July - I need to get back to the pool.  I just joined a local tri club that holds group swims/swim clinics on Sunday mornings and I'm going to try to get in one other swim a week (depending on the pool availability and my schedule).   

WEIGHTLOSS: I've never really been overweight (as a adult, that is - I was a chubby kid), but I would like to lose about 7-10 pounds.  Fortunately my husband also wants to lose some weight so maybe between the 2 of us we can make it work.

Janet

2014-12-29 1:46 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

I'd like to re-join the group if that's OK.  I know I disappeared in the fall - had some injury issues and other challenges - but I've put together a 2 year plan that ends with my first attempt at a HIM in October 2016 and I think I'll need the encouragement/motivation/advice here if I'm going to actually reach my goal.

CURRENT TRAINING: At the moment I'm training for a May HM (Indy Mini) so my run is the focus although I'm starting a winter cycling program this week.  I modified it a little but hopefully it will still be enough to help my improve somewhat on the bike this winter.  Swimming has been non-existent since July - I need to get back to the pool.  I just joined a local tri club that holds group swims/swim clinics on Sunday mornings and I'm going to try to get in one other swim a week (depending on the pool availability and my schedule).   

WEIGHTLOSS: I've never really been overweight (as a adult, that is - I was a chubby kid), but I would like to lose about 7-10 pounds.  Fortunately my husband also wants to lose some weight so maybe between the 2 of us we can make it work.

Janet

Janet,

Welcome back!  Will be good to have you join us again.  I did the Indy Mini last year.  I was sick and walked a pretty good portion of it but had a blast anyway.  If you haven't done it before, get ready!  It will be you and 35,000 of your closest friends.  Bands, cheerleaders, performers and all kinds of miscellaneous groups encouraging you every step of the way!

2014-12-29 2:44 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Regular
Glad you're back with us, Janet!

Steve
2014-12-29 9:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I would love to join the group. I was a member of another group twice, interrupted by a major accident.

NAME: Stuartap (BT screen name) / Stuart (please no Stu or Stewie or any other derivative.)

STORY: I started as a swimmer in HS and college. I was reasonably fast but not at Scott’s level. I have always loved to ride but never did it as a ‘sport’ until recently. I hate to run, when I was younger I hated to run and when I was in school I hated to run even more. I hope you see the pattern here.

In the spring of 2012 I was helping my daughter set up a booth at a local tri event for the American Diabetes Association. I am 5’11” and at the time weighed 250#. Seeing all the people of various sizes and shapes and ages was inspiring so I decided to give it a try. I used my 37# mountain bike for a few months and then broke down and got a decent used carbon bike. I did my first sprint in Dec 2012 at just over 200#.

In April of 2013 I was hit by a car and left in the middle of the road with a fractured hip. They tried emergency repair surgery which was unsuccessful so the day before Halloween 2013 they did a full hip replacement. In total over 8 months on crutches and over a year lost.

I finally did my second tri in Aug of this year.

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married 40 years with 2 kids and two dogs.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have been out of training for about two months. Life and job got in the way. I am trying to get into a rhythm to get in the pool M-F with a master’s program but having issues with my sleep schedule. Before then I was riding about 150 miles/week. I do very little running. My orthopedic surgeon has me on a tight string with my running. He will work with me to reach my goal of doing IM AZ in 2016 but I will keep running to as little as I can get away with. A replacement hip and a reconstructed knee are not conducive to long distance running.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've bounced around with my weight. Lost 50# for my first tri, put on 20#+ with zero activity for a year and now back on the path down. Currently 195# shooting for 180# in the next several months.

So that’s my story. I recognize I have a lot to learn still and hopefully have a few things to offer.

2014-12-29 9:17 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
I would like to re-join also.

I have a few Sprint triathlons under my belt and have learned a lot here. Steve and Scott make an excellent team providing top of the line advice on running and swimming respectively.

Started a new job this past year which was supposed to give me more training time but that didn't happened. Looking to change that in 2015.

Signed for my first marathon ever early in the season so I will be looking to Steve for some help with that and have a few sprint triathlons lined up also

Very happily married 57 year old with 4 children 12 to 18, got a late start.

With the weight I have put on due to not training as hard I will be looking to do some serious weight loss, at 5" 9" I want to be in the 160 s before my May 3rd race day.

2014-12-30 1:04 AM

User image

Hi

I'm looking to join this group

NAME: Aussie Turtle / Rod

STORY: I just completed my first & only Tri in November. It was a "Beginner Tri" 150m swim, 7KM Bike & 1500m run and it was 6 weeks after my 57th birthday. 12 months ago I could swim 15 metres & run 50 metres so I'm pretty happy with the achievement. I really enjoyed the challenge of progressing from couch potato to triathlete. Unfortunately I'm currently nursing a knee injury so I'm not sure when my next race is.

I live in Melbourne, Australia and we're in our summer (and tri season) now.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 32 years with sons aged 30 & 26

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently limited by my knee injury. My motivation reduced once it was clear I'd be missing a lot of races. I'm walking each day and doing some strength exercises as well as strengthening my knee. I'm planning to resume swimming this week.

2015 RACES: I had entered a 5 race series but unsure if I'll race again until next summer.

WEIGHT LOSS: In 2014 I lost 14 KG (30 lbs) but modifying my diet and training. I'd like to lose another 10KG (22lbs) in 2015

I really enjoy reading & sharing stories about our tri efforts and the encouragement between group members. I hope to be a regular contributor to the group.

Rod
2014-12-30 5:28 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Hey Steve and Scott,

Count me in again this Spring. Thanks to you both for leading the older pack - always appreciate your wisdom!

Have had my Iron-distance brother-in-law in town the last week and we've been discussing goals for 2015 over cookies and 2nd helpings. Looks like weight loss will again be an early goal for me :-) But got in a few swims with him. Since most of my training is solo, I'd forgotten how much competition helps with intensity for workouts.

Will post bio later.

Stu

2014-12-30 6:13 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Stuartap

I would love to join the group. I was a member of another group twice, interrupted by a major accident.

NAME: Stuartap (BT screen name) / Stuart (please no Stu or Stewie or any other derivative.)

STORY: I started as a swimmer in HS and college. I was reasonably fast but not at Scott’s level. I have always loved to ride but never did it as a ‘sport’ until recently. I hate to run, when I was younger I hated to run and when I was in school I hated to run even more. I hope you see the pattern here . . .

. . . In April of 2013 I was hit by a car and left in the middle of the road with a fractured hip. They tried emergency repair surgery which was unsuccessful so the day before Halloween 2013 they did a full hip replacement. In total over 8 months on crutches and over a year lost . . .

. . . My orthopedic surgeon has me on a tight string with my running. He will work with me to reach my goal of doing IM AZ in 2016 but I will keep running to as little as I can get away with. A replacement hip and a reconstructed knee are not conducive to long distance running . . .

Stuart,

Welcome to the group.

Like you, I was not a fan of running.  The good news is you can make the run your friend - even coming off the major accident and hip replacement.  There is a gentleman named Jeff Galloway that advocates the Run-Walk-Run method.  That may be the preferred method for you as you move forward.  That will be an interesting discussion when we really get rolling.  I am sure Steve will also have some thoughts on this, especially since Steve is recovering from a major bike crash last season.

Just remember, it isn't how many times you get knocked down that matters, what is important is how many times you get back up!

Welcome!

2014-12-30 6:16 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by JREDFLY

James,

Welcome back!  The tenacity you showed over the last couple of seasons as you developed your swim continues to inspire me.  The group just wouldn't be the same if you weren't a part of it!

2014-12-30 6:26 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hi,

STORY: I just completed my first & only Tri in November. It was a "Beginner Tri" 150m swim, 7KM Bike & 1500m run and it was 6 weeks after my 57th birthday. 12 months ago I could swim 15 metres & run 50 metres so I'm pretty happy with the achievement. I really enjoyed the challenge of progressing from couch potato to triathlete. Unfortunately I'm currently nursing a knee injury so I'm not sure when my next race is.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently limited by my knee injury. My motivation reduced once it was clear I'd be missing a lot of races. I'm walking each day and doing some strength exercises as well as strengthening my knee. I'm planning to resume swimming this week.

2015 RACES: I had entered a 5 race series but unsure if I'll race again until next summer.

WEIGHT LOSS: In 2014 I lost 14 KG (30 lbs) but modifying my diet and training. I'd like to lose another 10KG (22lbs) in 2015 I really enjoy reading & sharing stories about our tri efforts and the encouragement between group members. I hope to be a regular contributor to the group.

Rod

Rod,

Congratulations on completing your first Triathlon!

Glad to have you in the group.

2014-12-30 6:36 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by juneapple

Hey Steve and Scott,

Count me in again this Spring. Thanks to you both for leading the older pack - always appreciate your wisdom!

Have had my Iron-distance brother-in-law in town the last week and we've been discussing goals for 2015 over cookies and 2nd helpings. Looks like weight loss will again be an early goal for me :-) But got in a few swims with him. Since most of my training is solo, I'd forgotten how much competition helps with intensity for workouts.

Will post bio later.

Stu

Stu,

Glad your back.  The Gray Guys/Gals group is better because you're part of it.

I imagine, given you swim background, that describing the swims with your brother-in-law by saying "I'd forgotten how much competition helps with intensity in workouts" was an understatement.  I bet the competitive fire between an Iron distance finisher and a swimmer heated that pool up pretty quick.

2014-12-30 7:53 AM
in reply to: 0

I would like to join group I am 70 have done some tri last couple yrs have ran 5k 10k would like to get back to Sprint " not sure how to join thanks name is Bob looking for motivation. setting up trainitraining. this week had trouble in swim few yrs ago so now. have to get past head game want to lose some weight and feel better. Will start posting. train soon thanks

Edited by bob stout 2014-12-30 11:37 AM

2014-12-30 9:08 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

STORY: I started as a swimmer in HS and college. I was reasonably fast but not at Scott’s level. I have always loved to ride but never did it as a ‘sport’ until recently. I hate to run, when I was younger I hated to run and when I was in school I hated to run even more. I hope you see the pattern here . . .

. . . In April of 2013 I was hit by a car and left in the middle of the road with a fractured hip. They tried emergency repair surgery which was unsuccessful so the day before Halloween 2013 they did a full hip replacement. In total over 8 months on crutches and over a year lost . . .

. . . My orthopedic surgeon has me on a tight string with my running. He will work with me to reach my goal of doing IM AZ in 2016 but I will keep running to as little as I can get away with. A replacement hip and a reconstructed knee are not conducive to long distance running . . .

Stuart,

Welcome to the group.

Like you, I was not a fan of running.  The good news is you can make the run your friend - even coming off the major accident and hip replacement.  There is a gentleman named Jeff Galloway that advocates the Run-Walk-Run method.  That may be the preferred method for you as you move forward.  That will be an interesting discussion when we really get rolling.  I am sure Steve will also have some thoughts on this, especially since Steve is recovering from a major bike crash last season.

Just remember, it isn't how many times you get knocked down that matters, what is important is how many times you get back up!

Welcome!

Scott I am familiar with Jeff Galloway. I will dig in to his methods more as I move forward. My surgeon gave me two requirements if I am going to do an IM.

1. I need to change from a current heal strike to something less jarring on the joints. He suggested Chi style but really anything that is more of a glide than the pounding I have been doing.

2. I only get 1 marathon so that will be at the end of my IM. After that he wants me to move to Aqua/Bike events.

The first one will be the hard one for me. Learning how to run in a whole new style is proving harder than it sounds. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have been running the way I do now for 59 years. I will get there though.

The second one I am ok with. Since I don't like running anyway and I love to swim and bike, once I finish my IM I am good with dropping the run.

Looking forward to getting back to it.

2014-12-30 9:24 AM
in reply to: bob stout

User image

I would like to join again, even though my tri-age in 2015 will only be 48, I have more gray hair than I want, plus I enjoyed this group last year (winter/spring)

My name is Kristen, and I live in Florida. I'm a registered nurse, that began running in 2010, when I switched to day shift and wanted to lose some weight. 2014 was my first triathlon season and I completed 4 sprints, (aprill, july, august and october)

I'm married with two teens at home and two dogs. My husband does not exercise, dispite my much encouragement, but we have both started a low carb/high fat diet (with a brief break during the holidays), and that is helping him lose his weight, and he talks of starting to exercise in the future (yeah, i've heard that too many times). My daughter (17) did her first 2 tris this past year, with me, and I am so proud. My son plays football. My dog, the boxer, runs with me occasionally, but I usually use him for a 1 mile walk to cool down after I exercise.

Weight loss-as mentioned, I started a low carb diet with my spouse in late Oct, and probably went a little too low for my activity level, as I really dragged on my workouts, so I added more carbs back, but still low compared to most people, and that helped. I lost the 6 or so pounds that I had gained off and on, but I still have about 5 pounds, in specific areas that I would like to lose.

2015 races- I am signed up for a Half marathon in March (one that I deferred last year), a sprint the end of April-hoping to beat my time from last year, another sprint in June (new one to me), and I am planning a few other sprints mixed in there, if money is available for them. My big goal for 2015 is to do a half iron man in Venice Beach, FL, in mid November. I will be doing it to complete, not compete, as I am not fast in any of the 3 sports.

My current training is between 5-7 hours per week (every day I'm off of work and some days after work but not usually). I slacked off of swimming and biking with more focus on running from Nov-Dec, but I bought myself a new garmin swim watch, that counts my laps! Love it. I have a new tattoo, so i'm back to no swimming for another week, but then it's back to being consistent.

I love the BT training log and how it keeps track of distance and time and shows your monthly and yearly totals. That has been awesome and a great motivator for me. I am thankful for this site and even if I don't post often, I am reading the forum for information almost daily.
Thanks, Kristen

2014-12-30 10:34 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Regular
Originally posted by JREDFLY

I have a few Sprint triathlons under my belt and have learned a lot here. Steve and Scott make an excellent team providing top of the line advice on running and swimming respectively.

Started a new job this past year which was supposed to give me more training time but that didn't happened. Looking to change that in 2015.

Signed for my first marathon ever early in the season so I will be looking to Steve for some help with that and have a few sprint triathlons lined up also

Very happily married 57 year old with 4 children 12 to 18, got a late start.

With the weight I have put on due to not training as hard I will be looking to do some serious weight loss, at 5" 9" I want to be in the 160 s before my May 3rd race day.

[/QUOTE

James--You didn't even have to ask. Glad to have you back.

Steve
2014-12-30 10:36 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
Originally posted by juneapple

Hey Steve and Scott,

Will post bio later.

Stu

Hey Stu--Glad to have you back for another year!

Steve
2014-12-30 10:46 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Regular

Stuart,

Welcome to the group.

Welcome!

Scott I am familiar with Jeff Galloway. I will dig in to his methods more as I move forward. My surgeon gave me two requirements if I am going to do an IM.

1. I need to change from a current heal strike to something less jarring on the joints. He suggested Chi style but really anything that is more of a glide than the pounding I have been doing.

2. I only get 1 marathon so that will be at the end of my IM. After that he wants me to move to Aqua/Bike events.

The first one will be the hard one for me. Learning how to run in a whole new style is proving harder than it sounds. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have been running the way I do now for 59 years. I will get there though.

The second one I am ok with. Since I don't like running anyway and I love to swim and bike, once I finish my IM I am good with dropping the run.

Looking forward to getting back to it.

Hi Stuart:

Welcome to the group. You'll get a lot of support here.

The heel strike issue is a significant challenge. For me, heel striking is really a result of sort of lazy jogging where I'm letting gravity pull my body back. It really is jarring as every footstrike essentially results in a braking action as the heel hits first and slows momentum. As soon as I push my upper body forward I'm running on the balls of my feet. My pace hasn't changed much but the entire mechanics are different.

I've learned I really get into proper form just by running a few faster intervals on the road or track. As soon as the pace pushes up it's nearly impossible to run as a heel striker. Fast running require leg extension pushoff and fast turnover which is very very hard to do with a heel strike

For me it takes practice and focus because it always feels easier to run sitting back and heel striking than to push out on the balls of my feet.

I don't envy your hip injury. That sounds like a very tough injury. Just keep showing up for your workouts!

Steve

2014-12-30 10:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Hi Kristen:

Glad to have you back in the group again! We'll look forward to hearing about your progress to the half marathon in March.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2014-12-30 10:49 AM
2014-12-30 10:50 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Regular
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hi

WEIGHT LOSS: In 2014 I lost 14 KG (30 lbs) but modifying my diet and training. I'd like to lose another 10KG (22lbs) in 2015

I really enjoy reading & sharing stories about our tri efforts and the encouragement between group members. I hope to be a regular contributor to the group.

Rod

Welcome to the group Rod. You're our first Aussie member. Glad to have you on board.

Steve
2014-12-30 12:33 PM

User image

I'd love to join this time around if you'll have me. I posted a couple times in the spring thinking I'd join you gray folks but the mentor group I'd been part of for years decided at the last minute to go again so I felt beholden to them.   They're now switched to a Facebook group so I'd like a place on BT to land.  I'll be 56 in 2015 and I definitely have plenty of gray so I qualify.      I'll post my bio once I get the nod. 

2014-12-30 12:49 PM

Hi (again) - tried to post earlier, apologies if double posted. Just in case, I'll keep this short.

I'm Shelly (screen name ShellyLee), and would love to join this group.

I am a total beginner, although have been a runner for many years (mostly 5k, 10k, and half marathons). I started swimming regularly this summer, and really love it, so thought I'd try to give a triathlon a go.

Thanks!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open