BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-10-29 10:16 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: 5K trail run last Saturday

Deb - The wind gods are cruel and they love to laugh at us.  I had a fairly strong headwind today for my run as well.  We're getting cooler but it is still nice for running.

This Sunday is my long awaited run to the tunnel.  I'm sure I can run the distance but I'm not sure how fast I'll be.  I'm expecting to be pretty "back of the pack".

I'm thinking I would like to add a race to my bucket list.  A few weeks ago a lady I train with raced the IM Augusta, Georgia 70.3 and her swim time was :28:xx (thanks to a current in the river).  I know she's faster than me in the water but I think I wouldn't be too far behind and she was also excited about how flat the bike ride was.  So now I'm thinking it might be fun to do it myself.  I just have to convince my wife she'd like a trip there.  

2015-10-31 11:21 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Subject: RE: 5K trail run last Saturday
Originally posted by k9car363

Scott,

Opps!  My bad!  Ignore those earlier ratios.  You want to keep your long run less than 35% of total weekly volume, at least initially.  I had a whole page full of numbers and copied the wrong ones, didn't catch the error until this morning.  Sorry.

You might consider these ratios instead:

L - 35%

M - 25%

S - 20% x 2

Thanks Scott! That sounds like a good plan.
2015-11-06 8:02 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: A fall weekend
Well, Fall is here. It means colder days, running the dark and retreating to the man cave to complete bike workouts on the trainer. I guess the thing to do now is enjoy the 35 degree runs...because in a month it will be in the 20's.

No worries. Running at 35 degrees is much preferred to running at 95 degrees.

I'm starting to think ahead and line up my 2016 plan. Here's what I've got so far:

Mar 6--Bayfront Challenge, Homestead, FL
April 10--Lavaman Tri, Waikoloa, HI
June 6--Moses Lake Tri, Moses Lake, Wa
June 25--Duathlon Nationals, Bend, OR
July 17 Chelanman, Chelan, WA
August 13 -- Tri Nationals (if I can find a way to qualify!) Omaha, NE
September --TBD

If I can do all that, 2016 will be a great year. Now all I need is the discipline to put in the necessary training!

Hope everyone has a solid weekend planned. Get out there and enjoy the cold!

Steve
2015-11-06 8:03 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Regular
Well, Fall is here. It means colder days, running the dark and retreating to the man cave to complete bike workouts on the trainer. I guess the thing to do now is enjoy the 35 degree runs...because in a month it will be in the 20's.

No worries. Running at 35 degrees is much preferred to running at 95 degrees.

I'm starting to think ahead and line up my 2016 plan. Here's what I've got so far:

Mar 6--Bayfront Challenge, Homestead, FL
April 10--Lavaman Tri, Waikoloa, HI
June 6--Moses Lake Tri, Moses Lake, Wa
June 25--Duathlon Nationals, Bend, OR
July 17 Chelanman, Chelan, WA
August 13 -- Tri Nationals (if I can find a way to qualify!) Omaha, NE
September --TBD

If I can do all that, 2016 will be a great year. Now all I need is the discipline to put in the necessary training!

Hope everyone has a solid weekend planned. Get out there and enjoy the cold!

Steve
2015-11-06 10:29 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Steve - That's a pretty nice list of races for next year.  I haven't fully decided which races I want to do yet but for certain I want to travel to Alberta to ride the 160km Badlands Granfondo in June 25th-ish.  I want one of their dinosaur jerseys and it ties in nicely with a trip north to meet a new granddaughter.

I'm considering a marathon (either Portland or Vancouver).  It wouldn't be an "A" race so it may be wiser to save that goal for another year.  I was told that it is very rare for a person to start running in their sixties and to run a marathon.  So, I would like to complete a marathon even though I'll never qualify for Boston.

That reminds me.  I ran my 20K run last Sunday and had a good time.  I was slow, by the halfway turnaround there were only 7 people behind me but by the time I finished I had caught up and passed another 5 people.  Race report summary:  I ran up the hill then I ran down the hill.  If I hadn't had to stop and empty gravel out of my runners I could've finished faster.  The whole time I was running I was thinking about the movie, "Run Fatboy Run" almost like a mantra.  The first half was uphill 2% for 10K (I turned at 78:xx minutes and then 71:xx down).  My goal was to beat 2:30 and if it hadn't been for the gravel in my shoes I would have made it.

Today I finally got in for a proper bike fit and there was so much wrong it was almost overwhelming.  I could feel significant improvement almost immediately.  I also found out I'll be looking for new bike shoes.  I have a 90 minute indoor ride tomorrow morning and I'm looking forward to trying out the new bike fit.

2015-11-06 11:11 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Regular
Originally posted by wenceslasz
So, I would like to complete a marathon even though I'll never qualify for Boston.

Never say never, George. Age 60-64 is a 3:55 qualifying time. It's doable! At 65 it's 4:10. The older we get the easier it is to qualify.

I'm toying with running a marathon in 2016. But, I'm not sure I want to put in the long weekend runs to build up the endurance base. It's hard to do it without being fully committed.

Good Luck!

Steve

2015-11-07 7:05 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

•  I was told that it is very rare for a person to start running in their sixties and to run a marathon.  So, I would like to complete a marathon even though I'll never qualify for Boston.

• "Rare" but so what? That doesn't mean it can't be done, and by you. Olga Kotelko, a Canadian by the way who just died at age 95, held 34 AG WORLD RECORDS in track & field and she didn't start running until she was 77! Most of the current fastest women runners in their 80's & 90's didn't start running until their 60's. (I just happen to know about the women and not the men.)
    And also, by the way, I never did any competitive sports at all until I was 62. Although I don't have the ambition to run a marathon, I know I could if that was the kind of training I wanted to do.
    My advice: stay away from people who hand out negative **** like that.

Hey Steve, my daughter & family live in Bend. An incredibly beautiful place! That's a nice race list. I'll put mine up soon.
    Deb
    2015-11-08 11:40 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
    Hi, everyone,
    Here's a race report for the xc 6k I did last weekend:
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
    This series has been an incredible learning & growing experience. One more to go in 2 weeks, then the Club Nationals in December in San Francisco in December.
    Hope everybody's having a good weekend.
    Deb
    2015-11-10 11:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Penticton, BC

Steve - 4:10 to qualify for Boston, eh.  So I won't say never but I'll have to get a lot faster to beat 4:10.  It certainly would be a fun thing to do.  Just now I'm not sure how much time I want to put into it either.  I was looking at the Vancouver and Portland Marathon sites and they do  look interesting.

Deb - Looks like you had another great run.  Very lucky to have your wallet returned before you even knew it was lost.  My wife would have been hyperventilating if she lost hers.  Just for interest, I sometimes swim with Prudence.  She has a summer home here and we see her whenever she is in town.  She swims at the pool or in the lake when she is here.  Very nice woman and she is 84.  Also, last year Sister Madonna told my wife she is hoping to race 6 more years (she'd be 90 then).  I hope she makes it.  

After my 20K run I took a few days off from running but now I want to get going again but I'm finding it a bit hard to get back at it.  Maybe tomorrow.

2015-11-14 2:55 PM

User image

Regular
    Subject: RE: Fall weekend and getting in shape
    Another weekend is here. Hard to believe what's going on in Paris. It's just shocking to my sense of balance to see the carnage.

I saw an interesting quote this morning written by a cartoonist from Charlie Hebdo magazine following the attack yesterda:

"Terrorism is not the enemy. Terrorism is a mode of operation. Repeating 'we are at war' without finding the courage to name our enemies leads nowhere. Our enemies are those that love death. In various guises, they have always existed. History forgets quickly."

Amen.

Hope your weekend includes something positive!

I've been focusing on rebuilding run fitness over the last few weeks. Right now, the basic weekly training consists of a 5 miler with interval work on Mondays, light recovery run (3 m.)Tuesday, five mile tempo run on Thursday and an easy long run (9) on the weekend.

The one mile intervals on Monday were timed at 8:24, 8;10, 7:55, 8:10 and 8:19 not including recovery time. It a far cry from where I was a year ago, but I am getting stronger.

Enjoy your weekend! Prayers for the innocent in Paris.

Steve
    2015-11-16 6:01 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member
    Subject: RE: Fall weekend and getting in shape

Originally posted by lutzman \

Prayers for the innocent in Paris. Steve

Amen.

2015-11-21 12:33 PM

User image

Regular
    Subject: RE: BRRRRRRRR
    Well, it may not be winter based on the calendar, but the colder weather has definitely arrived here in Washington State. My buddy and met this morning at 6:30 for our regular Saturday morning long run. Temperature on the car driving to our start point--23 degrees.

As expected, it was cold to start but after the first mile, no problem. In all, we clocked 11 miles...slow, like old gray guys.

I can say this, nothing make the post-run hot tub feel better than a sub-freezing run.

Hope you're all having a great weekend.

Best,

Steve
    2015-11-21 8:41 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

. . . Temperature on the car driving to our start point--23 degrees . . .

Best, Steve

Everyone is going to think I am crazy, but I miss the cold, snowy runs.  Looking forward to moving back to Indiana!

It was 86 friggin' degrees here today - less than a week before Thanksgiving and we are breaking out the swimwear.  It is the time of year that thoughts are suppose to be about snow - not laying on the beach!

2015-11-21 10:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Penticton, BC

Steve - At 6:30am today I was scraping the car windows before I drove to our Rec Centre for a 90min spin class.  I hate scraping car windows.  My biggest pet peeve for winter.  It was pretty cold but no wind which made it more tolerable.  I'm seeing lots of vehicles with snow on them but so far no snow here in town.

Scott - I very much agree with your fondness for snow.  I'd love to run in a steady snowfall.  I just want the majority of the snow to stay on the east coast like it did last year.  86 degrees F is a bit impressive though.  

When we lived up north I couldn't wait for each full moon of the winter months.  It was so amazing we'd go for walks and it would be a bright cream and dark blue coloured world (and sometimes we'd hear wolves off in the distance - and we'd stay close to home).  I recently learned there is a local group of trail runners that organize full moon trail runs.  I'm thinking of maybe joining them for a run.

In my spin class today our coach showed us a "gag" gift he received.  It was, "Anti-Monkey-Butt" powder (with calamine).  Apparently it works quite well.  He also brought up a topic of a new-ish sport, "Beer Mile" (www.beermile,com).  Apparently someone set a new record of running a mile in 4:51.9.  The race is to run 400m, chug a beer, run 400 more chug another beer and repeat for one mile/ 4 beers and no upchucking.  I'm not much of a drinker nor runner but a 4:51.9 mile and 4 beers sounds pretty impressive.  I can only imagine what the training regimen would be like.

2015-11-23 8:51 AM

User image

Regular
    Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by lutzman

. . . Temperature on the car driving to our start point--23 degrees . . .

Best, Steve

Everyone is going to think I am crazy, but I miss the cold, snowy runs.  Looking forward to moving back to Indiana!

It was 86 friggin' degrees here today - less than a week before Thanksgiving and we are breaking out the swimwear.  It is the time of year that thoughts are suppose to be about snow - not laying on the beach!

Scott--I know what you mean. I think I would rather run at 25 degrees than 85 degrees. I guess we acclimate to just about anything. But there are a lot of mornings through the winter when it's 20 degrees and to run I have to put on so many layers I look like a tic that is about to pop (Christmas Story reference for those who know). Those are the days I really miss being able to walk out my door in a singlet and shorts. I can still do it, but after about a minute it's pretty uncomfortable.
    2015-11-23 6:42 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
    Scott, perhaps you're not remembering everything about the snow. Running in it is fine. but snow on the roads, snow on the car, snow on the driveway, snow on the woodpile...not so much. We had a little accumulation last night; can you tell? I'll trade you a bushel of snow for a bushel of sunshine any old time.
    But George, I'm with you. I'd rather brush snow off the windshield than scape ice, especially at 5:40 am when I'm trying to get to the pool and forgot (again) to start the car in advance.
    I had to scratch my last local cross-country race Sunday because my 18-year old was in the hospital with a kidney stone. Such is life. At least I have the Club Nationals to look forward to in 3 weeks.
    And my daughter who lives in Africa arrived safely in NY to join us for Thanksgiving. I have much to be thankful for and hope you all feel the same.
    Deb

2015-11-24 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
    Missouri

Hey there!

Been gone for a while but I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.

Also, just wondering if you were going to be re-starting this mentor group (or maybe just continuing on here) in January?  I signed up to do my first 70.3 in August (already freaking out a bit) and I know I'm going to have lots of questions over the next couple of months.  I've made some pretty good improvements with my swimming lately - getting to the pool on a consistent basis helps a lot - but my biking still needs some work.  And the running is a bit of a mess right now - still have achilles issues (doctor wants me to take 2-4 weeks off running completely after my race in 2 weeks) so I'll pretty much be starting over with that.   

We had our first snow on Saturday - can't really remember the last time it snowed before Thanksgiving here.  Didn't stick but it was kind of pretty to watch.  

Hope everyone has a safe holiday!
    Janet

2015-11-25 2:49 PM
    in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

Hey there!

Been gone for a while but I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.

Also, just wondering if you were going to be re-starting this mentor group (or maybe just continuing on here) in January?  I signed up to do my first 70.3 in August (already freaking out a bit) and I know I'm going to have lots of questions over the next couple of months.  I've made some pretty good improvements with my swimming lately - getting to the pool on a consistent basis helps a lot - but my biking still needs some work.  And the running is a bit of a mess right now - still have achilles issues (doctor wants me to take 2-4 weeks off running completely after my race in 2 weeks) so I'll pretty much be starting over with that.   

We had our first snow on Saturday - can't really remember the last time it snowed before Thanksgiving here.  Didn't stick but it was kind of pretty to watch.  

Hope everyone has a safe holiday!
    Janet

Hi Janet!

Haven't seen you for a while.  Happy Thanksgiving right back at you.

It isn't really up to us whether the mentor groups will be re-starting or continuing on.  I know there was a discussion about the value of the mentor groups over in the Cup of Joe forum.  One of the big concerns was that the mentor groups are taking volume away from the main forum and continued on into whether the mentor groups should continue on in their present state or change.  I know the groups were moved to a different spot on the forum board.  In the past there has been winter and spring mentor groups.  This past year we went all year with the winter group.  So, the long answer is - don't know.  I am hoping the groups restart but time will tell.  For me personally, I am VERY reluctant to participate in the main forum whereas the smaller mentor groups are much more personal and enjoyable so the logic behind minimizing the mentor groups to increase main forum volume is lost on me.

2015-11-27 7:12 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
    [ I know there was a discussion about the value of the mentor groups over in the Cup of Joe forum.  One of the big concerns was that the mentor groups are taking volume away from the main forum and continued on into whether the mentor groups should continue on in their present state or change. 

Well, Hello, up there, Powers That Be, please listen up :
    I thoroughly doubt I'd even renew my BT membership without the mentor groups. I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way.
    I hope you get this message.
    And Janet, welcome back. I hope we're able to continue cheering each other on next year.
    Deb
    2015-11-27 7:25 PM

User image

Regular
    Subject: RE: Bike workouts indoors
    OK, we're officially in the indoor bike season (shut up Scott!). How about listing up one of your indoor workouts that you use to keep your mind off the grind of the stationary bike.

So here was mine today:

20 minute warm up
    3 min at 90 RPM @ 170 watts
    3 min at 95 RPM @ 185 watts
    2 min at 95 RPM @ 210 watts
    2 mins at 95 RPM @ 225 watts
    6 min easy spin

5 min recovery

Repeat.

Post 'em up!

Steve
    2015-11-30 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
    Missouri

Originally posted by lutzman OK, we're officially in the indoor bike season (shut up Scott!). How about listing up one of your indoor workouts that you use to keep your mind off the grind of the stationary bike. So here was mine today: 20 minute warm up 3 min at 90 RPM @ 170 watts 3 min at 95 RPM @ 185 watts 2 min at 95 RPM @ 210 watts 2 mins at 95 RPM @ 225 watts 6 min easy spin 5 min recovery Repeat. Post 'em up! Steve

I'm doing a maintenance plan right now (working more on swimming) so most of my workouts are just easy rides.  I do have one workout a week that includes some high RPM's, but it's not much right now.  And occasionally I'll do a Sufferfest video if I need a change - I have Angels 2015 and HHNF (although I have yet to be able to finish this one) - doing these gives a little variety and seems to make the time go by faster.

Janet

2015-12-01 11:56 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Penticton, BC

Just for interest this is what my spin sessions look like.  I've been spinning in a group since November 3rd (my fourth year).  It starts out easy-ish and ramps up quickly with a 20min TT in the second week and based on the TT results everyone gets a set of Zone paces.  Tonight we did:

Warm-up          10 min (usually closer to 20 min)

Single leg drill      9 min (1 min Rt leg/ 1 min Lt leg/ 1 min easy repeated 3 times)

Spin Pyramid     23 min ( Zone 3/ approx 75% effort spinning 100 rpm or more.  1 min/ 2 min/ 3 min/ 4 min/ 3 min/ 2 min/ 1 min) After each 100 rpm interval we got one minute easy in same gear and 90+ rpm.

Climb set            8 min (Zn 2/3, large front ring.  Standing out of the saddle 2 min spinning Zn 3 and 70 to 80 rpm to simulate climbing. Seated 1 min in same gear, same RPM)  No 1 min seated after the 3rd standing interval and we go right into: 

Efficiency set      5 min (90+ rpm and Zn 3).  Prolific sweating on my part right about now.

Cool down           5 min (minimum - we can take longer if needed)

60 min. Total

On Saturday we ride for 90 min at 7:30am. I really like the early start because when I get home at 9:30-ish it feels like noon but I still have a full day ahead of me. Starting in February we start increasing the Saturday session times and by mid March we finish with a 3 hr ride.  It is so much easier in a group.

Some people work out by power rather than zones and from what I hear it sounds to be a really good way of training.  I think I'm going to have to check into power training.

Edited by wenceslasz 2015-12-02 12:01 AM
    2015-12-02 5:51 PM

User image

Regular

Just for interest this is what my spin sessions look like.Some people work out by power rather than zones and from what I hear it sounds to be a really good way of training.  I think I'm going to have to check into power training.

George--that looks like a cool workout. I'll give it a try tonight.

I'm really sold on my Power meter. If you can work it into your budget or extra special Christmas gift, I highly recommend it. It's just a fabulous training tool.
    2015-12-03 8:51 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
    Trainerroad.com
    Systematic improvement.

Deb
    2015-12-17 10:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Penticton, BC

Just a bit of an update.  I've got a last swim of the year tomorrow and I need 1300 yards to pass 250,000yds total for the year.  Tomorrow also marks the end of my 4th year of swimming and January 4th will be the start of my 5th year.  My cycling and running are also up over 2014 as well.

Tonight our spinning class was a long warm-up and build up to a 20 minute TT.  I held back a bit for the first 10 minutes riding at or above what I thought my last average pace was and then I pushed it harder for the last 10 minutes and even tried to sprint for the last 2 minutes but in the end I was a little disappointed that my pace slowed slightly from my previous TT (almost .5 kph slower).  I guess I should have pushed a bit harder in the first half.

I've been really feeling awesome for the last couple weeks in the pool and on the bike but I am looking forward to a bit of a break through the holidays.

As I drove home from cycling tonight I found my wife shoveling snow off our driveway so I had to get my shovel and help finish shoveling before she did it all.  We have a bit of a competitive streak between us when it comes to shoveling snow and chopping wood.  So, I couldn't let her have all the fun.  

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open