BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-05-18 6:30 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business

Checkin:

I am not having good luck recently at races. Two weeks ago I DNF'd due to a crash in the last 250m. This week I DNF'd because of a crash before the race even started. I was warming up with the team literally 5 minutes before the start of the race. Someone in front of me touched wheels and caused three of us to go down. I landed flat on my butt. I managed two laps (of 6) with my glutes spasming and seizing. I got dropped, reconnected, got dropped again, reconnected again and then got dropped a final time before realizing that the pain in my butt (literally) was too much to keep going. Another teammate also had to drop out from a knee injury sustained in the warm up crash. 

From now on I warm up alone. My team is all juniors (under 20). They're strong as hell but can be very unpredictable. It's my job to help them out and be a mentor but sometimes they can be a handful. 

I have a TT and the 160km amateur world championship qualifying race this coming up this weekend. My butt feels better today but I think I might have peaked a little too early. I've noticed that my power output is starting to drop off. After this week I'm taking a two week midseason break and then I'll start building towards a second peak for provincials at the end of august. 

Still looking for a good triathlon for JulyAugust. 

2015-05-18 8:37 PM
in reply to: #5116022

User image

, Vermont
Hey, Alan, you're out near Hamilton, Ontario? Near Burlington? - I've been there a few times back in the day to play softball. Anyway, that's about 10 hours from here - bring the wife, have a mini vacation, we'll get Dave up here and find a tri! What distance are you looking for? There are some at the end of July and beginning of August I'm doing. LOL - just throwing it out there. I could also link you up with my cyclist PT and he can take you through the notches for some super climbing. He's a class 3 guy and my neighbor is a class 1 racer - he's a machine.
2015-05-19 12:16 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Qua17

Hey Dave - perfect timing to give your body a break. I don't know what your training plan calls for and how long your taper is - but this is probably going to be your biggest week of training so far. Push it just a little this week to give yourself a little boost of confidence as you head toward race day. Also - consider practicing your transitions after your long workouts this week and especially during your brick workout. I promise you will be glad you did.

KNow this - you are gonna do great. How could you not wearing that awesome shirt you designed!

Actually this one in 3 weeks is 100% practice and I won't beat myself up on my results. My goal has always been the one in August, this one just popped up and I jumped on it. I will practice the transitions, but I'm not even planning on tapering much for this. The training plan I'm on completely ignores this since it's structured for the August race. The one thing I will do though is use the results of this to finally determine once and for all whether I'm doing the Sprint or Oly in August.

And for the record, i WILL be wearing that jersey for the ride.
2015-05-19 7:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alan - sorry to hear about the crashes but glad it seems like no major injury

Dave - enjoy the race. I really love racing it makes all the training worthwhile

My run yesterday was miserable. It was about 90, I had just gotten done with my swim and had not eaten all day. needless to say my pace was off, but I got it done. I have moved from base building to strength/ speed building. My first race is just over a month away so I am looking forward to my first oly ever and my first race of this season.

EDIT: I added my races to the garmin connect group. I figured that is a good way to keep up with everyone's race calendar.

Edited by b2b14 2015-05-19 7:37 AM
2015-05-19 11:08 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Well the snow melted and the sun came out for my Sprint Tri this past Sunday. My time was a bit slower than I wanted but had a good time anyways. Below is my picture at the finish and my post-race celebration!

(Beer.JPG)

(Sprint Tri Finish.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Beer.JPG (1285KB - 3 downloads)
Sprint Tri Finish.JPG (154KB - 4 downloads)
2015-05-19 12:01 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Hey, Alan, you're out near Hamilton, Ontario? Near Burlington? - I've been there a few times back in the day to play softball. Anyway, that's about 10 hours from here - bring the wife, have a mini vacation, we'll get Dave up here and find a tri! What distance are you looking for? There are some at the end of July and beginning of August I'm doing. LOL - just throwing it out there. I could also link you up with my cyclist PT and he can take you through the notches for some super climbing. He's a class 3 guy and my neighbor is a class 1 racer - he's a machine.

That would be awesome but I don't think we have the budget for any more trips. I just spoke with our team director last night and we're apparently heading to Chicago in July for 8 days of bike racing. It's going to hell but a great experience. I'm not even sure if I'll be able to do any tris now.

2015-05-19 1:48 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by b2b14

Alan - sorry to hear about the crashes but glad it seems like no major injury

Dave - enjoy the race. I really love racing it makes all the training worthwhile

My run yesterday was miserable. It was about 90, I had just gotten done with my swim and had not eaten all day. needless to say my pace was off, but I got it done. I have moved from base building to strength/ speed building. My first race is just over a month away so I am looking forward to my first oly ever and my first race of this season.

EDIT: I added my races to the garmin connect group. I figured that is a good way to keep up with everyone's race calendar.

Cool, I'll see if I can figure that out on Garmin Connect! I'll add mine too!
My HIM - okay, Aquabike for me is June 26 - coming up faster than I'd like!!
2015-05-19 1:48 PM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Jeakins

Well the snow melted and the sun came out for my Sprint Tri this past Sunday. My time was a bit slower than I wanted but had a good time anyways. Below is my picture at the finish and my post-race celebration!

Awesome!!!! Well done and looking good while you're at it!! Congrats!!
2015-05-19 1:49 PM

User image

, Vermont
Mama got a new saddle for her toukis! Let's see how this baby pans out!! :-D

(Cobb JOF saddle.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Cobb JOF saddle.jpg (50KB - 4 downloads)
2015-05-19 3:30 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by justinfss

So I have been actually doing some running, Thanks again to John for telling me to sign up! I am one month out from the 5K and my wife and I are pretty excited, the event has bands playing all along the route and we found out that the headliner for the concert that night is 'Joel Plaskett' and amazing Canadian Singer Songwriter from the east coast, also just found out that my Mom is coming up for the month of June, so we may have some free child care to enjoy the concert!

Anyone who feels like breaking out the passport it wouldnt be that far of a drive for the eastern seaboard members , the event is the Band on the Run in Huntsville Ontario, Huntsville is Toronto's cottage country and a really nice place to tour around, quite a few brewerys in the area to boot!

My wife and I are now thinking about doing the local HM as a relay race, I think it would be great to race with her, and that way we can just hand-off our daughter like she is a batton! only in reverse order.

Ok I know I'm 10 days late to this party just wanted to say how great this whole post is. The bands, the excitement, the reverse baton baby handoff...all of it.
2015-05-19 4:07 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida
Ok everyone - sorry for being an absentee as of late. 10 days apparently which was enough time for 81 new posts I missed, according to my email! Work - this year has been getting busier and busier and the past month it's been 60 hours a week consistently. With that, a wife and child, house, a 1/2 acre yard in need of constant attention.... I'm doing my damndest to keep up on 6 days/week of workouts but its tough... Burnout is starting at the office (we're all working crazy hours, basically each of us are trying to do the work of three. We're good but not that good!) The wife and I are getting creative at getting workouts in but of course the whole two athlete family thing makes it more difficult. So all of the reminders that only professional athletes don't miss workouts is great!!!

Then last week it was a last minute work trip to San Francisco. Work and travel out Wednesday, meeting Thursday then work (did get to spend a couple hours checking out the city at least), work then travel home Friday... I managed to get an 1000yd swim workout in the hotel pool in between the meeting and working and touring the city at least! No workouts on travel days though, I'm not as crazy as Gretchen I guess!

This week I'm off to Aruba. Boo hoo for me, I know Won't get to bike pretty much at all for 7 days but will get in runs, pool swims, and OW ocean swims. I think I told you guys once, last year I practiced my OWS for the ~400 yds from the beach by my room to the tiki bar. It's great motivation!!

Ok pics - I think I got this (thanks for the tips to email them to myself. Why is everything so complicated?)

BDAS Tri Top, size M. Can't help but feel like it would fit Alan's pro cyclist frame better than mine!

(BDAS tri top.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
BDAS tri top.jpg (1035KB - 3 downloads)

2015-05-19 4:10 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
And the wife's sexy new Emonda with aero bars. To go with her brand new Outback. I may be jealous!

(Trek Emonda.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Trek Emonda.jpg (1365KB - 3 downloads)
2015-05-19 4:22 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
There's a ton I want to reply to, I'm just rushed because I need to get out of work, pack, then we're out at 3:30am to catch our flight. And for 7 days I'll be disconnected - no internet (they have wifi at our hotel but it's expensive and vaca is more relaxing when you really 'disconnect').

Devon - worried about you a bit, hope you're bouncing back and focusing on the workouts. Best stress relief I've ever had... It may have been a toxic relationship, it's in the past and all you can do is move forward. Which always applies to triathlon, to borrow from Meredith Atwood - 'Just keep moving forward'.

Alan - stay safe! Sorry to hear about the crashes, both for you and the bike!! Good luck at the upcoming races!

Gretchen - safe travels and good on you for signing up for races on your return!

Jenn - killer 5k time with the knee and the crowds!!
And, I love that seat - it looks like exactly what my wife wants. She has an Adamo that's a similar shape, but the 'forks' or whatever you want to call the front part of the seat, are a lot farther apart. Adn so the shop zip tied them together to get them closer, but then yesterday the tie snapped and we haven't been able to get another one on there as tight as the shop did it...

Dave Q - Sorry I missed your race! Can't wait to read the report. My swim is coming along and I'm getting better all the time but it's sooooo slow. I had to abandon any hopes of any June races because I'm still out of gas at about 250 yards. I just can't get to the pool often enough to get the time in to build the endurance.
I love the idea of beer google hangouts! Not as big personally on the idea of the weight loss challenge only because I was plateaued for a while at one weight, then dropped close to 10 lbs pretty quickly (few weeks), then I've been plateaued again. I'm no good at weight loss!

Juan - you mentioned the Giro d'Italia (which I had no TV coverage of so I missed it!) - anyone stateside watch the Tour of California? I'm almost caught up on DVR, I have stages 7 and 8 to watch. Absolutely love it!

Everyone else - I've read every post I just can't remember all 81 all at once. Sorry if I've missed anything!
2015-05-19 4:29 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Ok last post before vacation I think Just wanted to document my races since I've signed up for a few.

June 21- Fairhaven Father's Day road race. Just doing the 5k this year, as it will only be my 2nd road race back from my stress fracture last year. Taking the running pretty slow. I've started the Galloway run-walk-run method and so far after a couple weeks it feels great!

July 3rd - Finish at the 50. Also doing the 5k for that, pretty cool (though slow!) race. You run the loop road around Gillette Stadium, then up all the pedestrian ramps to the 300 level, across it, then down ramps to the 200 level, across, etc. till you come out the service entrance and in through the players' tunnel, through the giant football helmet, and actually finish on the 50 yard line (actually midfield as July is soccer season!). It;'s a lot of fun, but looking back at race photos from the last time I did it (2013) my time was really slow for me. It's hot and the uphill ramps are slow going. Looking to improve this year!

July 26th - my first ever tri. Hockomock YMCA Lake Pearl Sprint Triathlon, at Lake Pearl in Wrentham, MA. 400yd lake swim, 12 (?) mile bike, 5k. Still nervous for the swim but I got a couple months to work it out still. 400 yards isn't much to you guys but it's like a marathon to me. I'm getting there....

Oh yeah - love the idea of a destination race in VT!!!!
2015-05-19 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by justinfss So here is my Bike jersey 'Before" shot, after commuting into work yesterday, I guess it doesnt look as tight as it feels, but it is still way too tight for a 2XL!

IMO that's exactly how it should fit. It looks good. You look like a legit cyclist. :D

Thanks Alan!
2015-05-19 7:35 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by justinfss So here is my Bike jersey 'Before" shot, after commuting into work yesterday, I guess it doesnt look as tight as it feels, but it is still way too tight for a 2XL!

IMO that's exactly how it should fit. It looks good. You look like a legit cyclist. :D

You don't just look like a cyclist - you look like a b@d@55 cyclist! Way to commute into work. Perhaps as I look for a new gig - that should be one of the requirements.

2015-05-19 7:38 PM

User image

Expert

Checkin:

II have a TT and the 160km amateur world championship qualifying race this coming up this weekend. My butt feels better today but I think I might have peaked a little too early. I've noticed that my power output is starting to drop off. After this week I'm taking a two week midseason break and then I'll start building towards a second peak for provincials at the end of august. 

Still looking for a good triathlon for JulyAugust. 

Good luck to you Alan! You are a machine!
2015-05-19 7:39 PM

User image

Expert
Congrats! Love the Jersey and the celebratory beer even more!
2015-05-19 7:50 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
The threat of getting cut of from beer motivated me enough to get out the door after dinner for a 45 minute walk and I'm hoping to get a swim and bike in tomorrow. 102 days to HIM at Rev3 Maine. Plenty of time to get my @55 in gear.

Jenn and John - Let's find a late season race to do in September/October. Here's a suggestion - Pilgrimman - September 20. Here's the link

http://www.trifind.com/re_157865/PilgrimmanHalfIronOlympicTriathlon...

I did this race last year. It was nice but there were some growing pains as it was the first time they had done this...

thoughts?
2015-05-19 10:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Originally posted by chayes

Went for a run today! Since my marathon I've been in this wormhole of house remodeling. I wasn't even planning it, but my helpers were available and I was so anxious to get it done. Over the past 2 years I've basically redone my whole first floor with lots of help from parents and friends- including tearing out a chimney, taking a couple of walls down to the studs, switching my kitchen and dining room, all new flooring.,, now there's still some trim to put up but my whole house is livable again!
Hoping to go on the first bike ride of the season tomorrow.
Also I got a sampler case from Otter Creek that my helpers and I have drank over the past few weeks. 4 different beers and I loved them all! I'm not sure if it's because I haven't been drinking or if they're really good beers....

Otter Creek is right near me, Christina!! It's fate - we need a group tri here in lovely VT with our many breweries available to explore! The weekend of June 26/27 there is a nice Colchester Sprint Triathlon - 500 yd swim, 12 mile bike (about as flat as you'll find in VT), and a 5k run. I'm in this year - it was cancelled last year due to a bad thunderstorm (same weekend as the Lake Placid IM and they were pulling swimmers out of the water over there due to the storms). I'm seeking revenge of sorts.
There is also the Vermont Sun Triathlon series at Lake Dunmore - beautiful little lake - no milfoil (invasive lengthy weed). They have around 3 or 4 dates available. I'd do them all if I could but I'm looking at maybe the August 9th one and they offer both sprint and Oly distances. This is the one I placed 3rd in last year in my AG.

http://www.vermontsuntriathlonseries.com/

http://www.colchestertri.com/

Just throwing it out there in case anyone might be interested!!

Haha, that's awesome! I would love to visit New England again. Not sure how practical it would be for me... but I'll at least keep drinking your beer!
2015-05-20 4:09 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

, Vermont
Torn right now. Up at 04:30 to get a 2.5 hour ride in early and be back just as the kids get on the bus - but today is my oldest's 10th birthday and traditionally I make him a special breakfast - waffles or pancakes or whatever he wants. If I ride, this doesn't happen. Thinking now I'll wait until he gets on the bus - though it will decrease the numbers of roads I'm willing to ride on around here. My big boy is worth it, I'll wait. ?? I have to get it in today as we head out camping mid-day Friday and won't be back until Monday, tomorrow will be much colder in the morning, we're talking wearing a turtleneck kind of cold....schedule adjustments...

2015-05-20 6:59 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Torn right now. Up at 04:30 to get a 2.5 hour ride in early and be back just as the kids get on the bus - but today is my oldest's 10th birthday and traditionally I make him a special breakfast - waffles or pancakes or whatever he wants. If I ride, this doesn't happen. Thinking now I'll wait until he gets on the bus - though it will decrease the numbers of roads I'm willing to ride on around here. My big boy is worth it, I'll wait. ?? I have to get it in today as we head out camping mid-day Friday and won't be back until Monday, tomorrow will be much colder in the morning, we're talking wearing a turtleneck kind of cold....schedule adjustments...

Putting your family first is always the way to go. Congrats to you on having a ten year old One of these days I might drive up there for some waffles... I bet it would be worth it.
2015-05-20 7:08 AM
in reply to: #5116829

User image

, Vermont
Real maple syrup my brother boiled definitely makes it all worth it. Now if we can just keep the weasel out of the chicken coop, we could have fresh eggs too!! The best!
2015-05-20 8:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Agree with David...family first, training will be there later or the next day or the next!

PS: please send syrup to me...

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Real maple syrup my brother boiled definitely makes it all worth it. Now if we can just keep the weasel out of the chicken coop, we could have fresh eggs too!! The best!

2015-05-20 8:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Jeakins Well the snow melted and the sun came out for my Sprint Tri this past Sunday. My time was a bit slower than I wanted but had a good time anyways. Below is my picture at the finish and my post-race celebration!

good looking jersey and beer!! Have you tried the village brewery(Calgary)  ISA?www.villagebrewery.com Tasty!

Was it Airdrie you raced?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54515 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.