BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-05-20 8:31 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business

I think it would be great idea to do a Skype & a beer! Not sure what google hangout is though....guess I should google it...

Originally posted by Qua17 I got my swim in this morning and plan on biking and doing PT when I get home from work. Still working on the mojo - and battling the thought of another week in a difficult job but I only need to make it through another 18 days. I had two ideas while I was swimming - 1) It might be cool to skype or do a google hangout some night or weekend. That way we could connect a real face to a screen name. We could even figure out a way of including beer. Thoughts? 2nd Idea - I would love to do a monthly challenge against another mentor group. We have talked about it but its never happened. We could do a weight loss or a workout challenge or something like that. Of course we would win since we are the best damn group on BT but it might be fun. Thoughts? Anyone want to throw out a topic for the week? Anyone racing this weekend?

2015-05-20 8:38 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well lucked out this past week and pulled the trigger on a tom tom multisport(a poor man's version of the Garmin 920)

http://www.tomtom.com/en_ca/sports/multi-sport/products/multi-sport-cardio-gps-watch/white-red/index.html

Went for a run on indoor track. pretty sure it was off on distance/speed, but  it could have been my and the lack of knowledge. Heart rate was pretty consistent though.

Love the fact I don't have to wear chest strap heart rate monitor!

Swim this morning looked pretty accurate.

Of course my son is all over it. It will be a battle to see who gets to wear it when we go running(he will of course!)

Our first triathlon(B race) is just over 4 weeks away.

2015-05-20 8:50 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Jenn +1 for family first. Your seat is the same style as mine. I did the hardee version of cobb jof.

bike for day done. I started my second 10 week section of training. going to pool soon.
2015-05-20 4:45 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
hahaha ..... sons love to "steal" dad's gadgets and race T-shirts.....

Juan
2015-05-20 5:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Are we putting in syrup orders, because I am totally in for syrup.

I'm totally slacking on workouts- husband out of town and bad weather are really hitting me hard!

I will get back to it.
2015-05-20 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by GeauxHard

Hey guys.

Sorry guys for missing out on training and everything here, y'all really are a fantastic group that I am happy to be a part of.

I'm sure a lot will see this wall of text and scroll past, for those that actually took the time to read it, thank you, I needed somewhere to vent and confess everything so I can move on.

Hey Devin - I'm sorry I didn't see this post until now (I've been playing hookie too thanks to my own issues. But I hope things are going better for you and that things are a little more "normal"

My question - what's one thing that you will do this week to do something nice/good for yourself? On my end, I need to slow down my own drinking so I'm going to pledge to you that I will only drink a six pack this week. Do we have a deal? No worries if this isn't your thing - but holding each other accountable helps I think.

Best to you my friend!

I like this... only drink a six-pack per week. I had mostly stopped drinking in an effort to lower my triglycerides, then started again but just a bit here and there. I can still enjoy beer but no need to drink one or two every night.
Also I like the idea of *not* drinking half a case a week being something good for yourself.

2015-05-20 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by Qua17

I got my swim in this morning and plan on biking and doing PT when I get home from work. Still working on the mojo - and battling the thought of another week in a difficult job but I only need to make it through another 18 days.

I had two ideas while I was swimming - 1) It might be cool to skype or do a google hangout some night or weekend. That way we could connect a real face to a screen name. We could even figure out a way of including beer. Thoughts?

2nd Idea - I would love to do a monthly challenge against another mentor group. We have talked about it but its never happened. We could do a weight loss or a workout challenge or something like that. Of course we would win since we are the best damn group on BT but it might be fun. Thoughts?

Anyone want to throw out a topic for the week? Anyone racing this weekend?

I do like the idea of the weight loss challenge. I think this winter in this group we did a thing where we said how much we wanted to lose- I think that's a better way to do it than total pounds lost.
But- I think we need something real at stake. Just bragging rights... or looking better in pictures... or being faster... hasn't worked for me so far for motivation.
2015-05-20 9:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by b2b14

Jenn +1 for family first. Your seat is the same style as mine. I did the hardee version of cobb jof.

bike for day done. I started my second 10 week section of training. going to pool soon.

Without looking, how is the hardee version different than the JOF? Just out of curiosity? I can't wait to get out on it tomorrow!!!

I did stay and hang with my nugget boy - swam later in the day while he was at school instead and brought popsicles to his class for his birthday.
Quick math for 1.2 miles came out to 2112 yards (Rush fans take note...) so I did 2200 yards continuously today as it was supposed to be an ows.....alas, icebergs today (cold front or something coming through..) Took it nice and relaxed and paused here and there to check my yardage and finished up at 42 minutes and change which i'll take considering my RPE. Tomorrow I have to get a 2.5 hour bike in before we leave on Friday. Hoping the cold wind dies down a bit - for comfort and I'd also like to get some practice on my aerobars.. (so scared of destroying myself, my bike and everything around me....) hahaha...laugh now..

Edited by aviatrix802 2015-05-20 9:16 PM
2015-05-20 9:32 PM

User image

Jenn- Its got a slightly different shape and the front is connected. I sat on both and that was the one that was better for me. Neither was bad though. I had a cobb max which I loved, but I tried to ride that saddle after using my new one for a while and hated it.
2015-05-20 9:35 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Whoa, whoa. What's all this talk about Maple Syrup. We Canadians run the maple syrup racket on this continent. Don't make me call in the hired goons. :P

2015-05-21 8:48 AM

User image

, Vermont
Them's fightin' words to a Vermonter....

Oh! Speaking of which!!!! For those into packet-type nutrition during exercise - look for "Untapped" all natural athletic fuel!! - pure Vermont maple syrup! I'll get a picture up when I can! The Cochran family (of 60's/70's Olympic fame) has a little ski area here about 20 minutes down the road and also a huge sugarbush. They were encouraged to start packaging it for natural alternatives to things like Gu. I picked one up - curious to see how messy it will be, I was warned to sip slowly as it comes out quickly.

Also, a PSA: rinse your mouth or brush teeth after workouts when you use any gels, Gu's, or liquid nutrition - there's a new article out about "chiseled bodies and chipping teeth" due to the sugar content in these things. (From the mouth of a dentist's daughter...)

Edited by aviatrix802 2015-05-21 8:59 AM

2015-05-21 9:00 AM

User image

, Vermont
Here you go!

(Untapped.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Untapped.jpg (47KB - 4 downloads)
2015-05-21 9:28 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone,

Sorry I have been off the map recently. I hope everyone is doing well! I haven't had the time to catch up on everything, but will try to keep up after this.

DQ - How's the job hunt going?

I have decided that I'm not going to do any triathlons this year. Between the many weddings and the travel and money involved, as well as the fact that I fractured my pinky on Sunday playing football (see attached for the lovely picture of it from Monday morning), I think I have to take some time for myself. I find out tomorrow whether I will need surgery on the pinky (the doc at urgent care said I will likely need pins...it's just a pinky, but I also don't want a bendy finger to affect my volleyball). Send me positive thoughts! Hopefully it's not as serious as that.

I still hope to stay in good shape. I am running a boot camp with some friends, and have been walking a lot. I need to get back into running.

(20150518_151733.jpg)

(20150518_151730.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20150518_151733.jpg (3473KB - 3 downloads)
20150518_151730.jpg (3413KB - 4 downloads)
2015-05-21 1:47 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

, Vermont
Oh my gosh, Nicole!!! I am so sorry - that looks sooooo nasty!!! Yuck! Hoping you don't need surgery!!!
Hey, you have to do what's right for you and it sounds like you're staying fit and doing what makes you happy so that's a good thing! Thinking of you!!
2015-05-21 9:18 PM

User image

, Vermont
So I am officially an owner of the new seat whether I like it or not. As I had mentioned a couple of days ago, I purchased a new seat and my LBS lets me take some rides on it, turn it back in and swap out for a new one, and just keep going until I find the "right" seat. They are really great about it. I'm on my fourth seat "demo-ing" and this one I have to keep. Why? I don't even know if I love it yet.... well, I rather toppled over on a ride today and there is a bit of a scuff on the side of the saddle. Of course it had to be the most expensive one I've tried - the Cobb 55 JOF (pictured early this week). LOL. I'm fine - just some scratches and mild bruising and the bike seems to be okay but when I fell the whole seat torqued sideways too. I don't own a torque wrench (holy cow they're expensive!) so I had to call my husband to pick me up since I couldn't bang it back over in line.
I was only 20 miles into my 42 mile ride. The happy part of the day was that I PR'd the Barber Farm Road climb and the Weed Road climb - which I know means nothing to anyone but me but I wasn't even pushing as hard as I could have. I am happy - it tells me my training is working.

Going off the grid for a few days so I'll probably check back in on Monday - Happy Memorial Day! Thankful for our military always and special remembrance for this weekend!
2015-05-22 12:16 PM

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Yep it was Ardrie. 2nd year in a row now. And yes yess the village brwery beers are great too! I love trying new beers!

Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by Jeakins Well the snow melted and the sun came out for my Sprint Tri this past Sunday. My time was a bit slower than I wanted but had a good time anyways. Below is my picture at the finish and my post-race celebration!

good looking jersey and beer!! Have you tried the village brewery(Calgary)  ISA?www.villagebrewery.com Tasty!

Was it Airdrie you raced?

2015-05-22 1:45 PM

User image

Nicole- get that thing looked at. Were you playing full contact? Hope you heal up quick.

Jeff- well done on the race!

Jenn- sorry to hear about the fall on the bike.

Got my bike and run in today 2.5 hrs on bike short brick run. Only got 5 hrs sleep b/c of work but got it in.

Edited by b2b14 2015-05-22 1:46 PM
2015-05-22 3:00 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks I will be having surgery in 2-3 weeks, which means I will be out for at least another month after that. Super bummed, but it could be worse. While I was getting splinted, some guy was getting his hand fixed up b/c he cut off the tips of his middle, ring and pinky finger...always gotta find the silver lining!

Have a great Memorial Day weekend everyone!
2015-05-23 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Here you go!

This is awesome, I would bath in maple syrup if it was socially acceptable, and in anyway hygenic.
2015-05-23 1:24 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Nicole- That finger looks like it will take a lot of beer to recover from!
2015-05-23 1:42 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by justinfss
Originally posted by aviatrix802 Here you go!
This is awesome, I would bath in maple syrup if it was socially acceptable, and in anyway hygenic.

Maple syrup bathing is a lot like the pool...shower before you get in and don't pee in it....

2015-05-23 8:20 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Check-in I ran a fast 4 miler today (for me) because I was trying to keep up with my youngest while she rode on our rail trail. Either she's getting faster or I'm getting slower. Afterwards, I did a nice calm 9 mile bike ride with my older daughter since I owed that to her just to be fair. My rewards so far have been 2 chocolate chip cookies and and a soft serve cone. Nothing quite like consuming the calories you just burned before your heart rate even drops back down to normal.

Nicole Yuck on the pinky. I say chop it off....that's GOTTA be easier.

Maple Syrup I'm with you on the deliciousness on waffles/pancakes/bacon/ice cream but I really did NOT enjoy the maple candies that a friend brought back from New England. I felt like I needed an insulin shot from eating one and I'm not even diabetic.

Life Life is happening the next 2 days so it's going to be a struggle to get workouts in. On the plus side I picked up some beer to help me forget about how I'll be slacking.
2015-05-23 9:27 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Here you go!

Jenn - I so want some. When we get together for the race - we may have to arrange a swap. I'll trade some good MA beer for some Vt. goodness! Sorry to hear about the scuffed seat - I hope it works out!

But more importantly - Kudos on the great times on your ride. Your training and hard work ARE paying off!
2015-05-23 9:38 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Snewo

Check-in I ran a fast 4 miler today (for me) because I was trying to keep up with my youngest while she rode on our rail trail. Either she's getting faster or I'm getting slower. Afterwards, I did a nice calm 9 mile bike ride with my older daughter since I owed that to her just to be fair. My rewards so far have been 2 chocolate chip cookies and and a soft serve cone. Nothing quite like consuming the calories you just burned before your heart rate even drops back down to normal.

Nicole Yuck on the pinky. I say chop it off....that's GOTTA be easier.

Maple Syrup I'm with you on the deliciousness on waffles/pancakes/bacon/ice cream but I really did NOT enjoy the maple candies that a friend brought back from New England. I felt like I needed an insulin shot from eating one and I'm not even diabetic.

Life Life is happening the next 2 days so it's going to be a struggle to get workouts in. On the plus side I picked up some beer to help me forget about how I'll be slacking.

Good call on getting the beer to help you forget about slacking. I can attest that it's an effective drug Better yet - nice work on the run and spending time with the kids. That's a win-win!
2015-05-23 9:43 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

Thanks I will be having surgery in 2-3 weeks, which means I will be out for at least another month after that. Super bummed, but it could be worse. While I was getting splinted, some guy was getting his hand fixed up b/c he cut off the tips of his middle, ring and pinky finger...always gotta find the silver lining!

Have a great Memorial Day weekend everyone!

So sorry to hear about surgery - but at least you will be able to keep training until then - minus the bike. (I blew a ligament in my finger three years ago when I was trying to get a wine stain out of a run - I pushed so hard - I snapped it). Anyway - I was able to get a splint that allowed me to keep swimming. I know it's a major set back - but try to figure out a way to get some exercise in so you could still do a late season race.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54448 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.