BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-07-01 2:32 PM
in reply to: fifthcircle

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Originally posted by fifthcircle

Originally posted by GeauxHard

Originally posted by Juancho

Wow, that´s too bad - hope you are ok.
(good to know there is another Mini driver in the group who fights with his car trying to fit the bike inside....)

Juan

Glad I'm not the only one with the struggle of making my bike fit, lol.

Feeling good this morning, very slight soreness.

Not sure if anyone else has seen this before, it's still currently in beta testing.

its called Zwift, it's a computer game that links with your trainer, allows you to ride and race with others on courses all around the world. Looks pretty awesome, and it's FREE right now!

Going to be looking into it soon. Maybe we can get a BDAS group together and have some fun. Queen K anyone?

Sorry about the car, glad you are alright!!

I've been using Zwift once in a while, when I don't have an interval workout scheduled on TrainerRoad.
The only thing that bugs me about Zwift is the vPower. I have a CycleOps fluid 2, and it uses my Ant+ speed/cadence to give me a Virtual Power. It bounces around a LOT. I will be grinding along nice and steady, and the darn thing will go from 250w to 120w, and everywhere in between. This doesn't happen with the same equipment and TrainerRoad.

That being said, it's in Beta, and I expect things like this. I'm sure they will get it fixed. It really does help the time go by pretty quickly, until you've done two laps on "The Island". Then you're about 40min in, and the vPower bugs you, and some guy flies past you up the big climb.... GAH!!! LOL!

It would be really fun to set some group ride time and try to ride together on there. I have trouble keeping up with most of the other riders on there. If I'm on there, it will mostly likely be 2-4pm central time, and Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat.

Kurt F. on Zwift

Yeah I figure there is going to be bugs in the software, get used to it after playing video games in development after a while.

My one question is, how do you steer? Or does it steer for you?

Those times actually work out very well for me, I need to get a ANT+ compatible speed and cadence sensor and then I will get it all setup. Might try and order one tonight.

2015-07-01 7:08 PM
in reply to: GeauxHard

User image

Sorry about the car crash glad you are ok. I just got back from a week at the lake so got very little training done. I did get my long ride in at least. I am not sure if I can do zwift island, my trainer is an old fluid trainer and doesn't have ant or anything like that. Will it connect to my Garmin?
2015-07-01 9:11 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

Sorry about the car crash glad you are ok. I just got back from a week at the lake so got very little training done. I did get my long ride in at least. I am not sure if I can do zwift island, my trainer is an old fluid trainer and doesn't have ant or anything like that. Will it connect to my Garmin?

Signed onto BT tonight and Brians pop was at the top of the forum! Boom! Way to represent!!! Hope you had a good vacation!
2015-07-01 9:14 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert

Originally posted by Qua17

If I really wanted to suffer, I'd watch the Sox play

Psst - Hey Dave, don't look now, but the Sox are currently ahead of the Indians What a terrible year for our respective teams!

Agreed - but you jinxed your team. Cleveland has the better record as of tonight (and we just missed a no hitter!)

We should get together for a game sometime.
2015-07-01 9:19 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by GeauxHard

Howdy all,

Had a great 3 mile run on the treadmill today, was even able to hold the last mile at sub 7, although I was dying at the end.

However on the drive home..I got rear ended. Roads were wet and woman behind me was following too close. After she hit me she spun off the road into the ditch, her airbags deployed, had to cut her seatbelt and help pull her out. Car was totaled for sure. Not sure if it was because I was warmed up and loose from my run, but I'm feeling fine, no whiplash or anything. My Mini Cooper on the other hand didn't fare so well..rear end is banged up pretty bad.

Guess it could have been worse!

Devon - Sorry to hear about your car but way to step in and help out!
2015-07-01 9:35 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Had a killer bike ride today. About 20 miles into my 35 mile ride, I noticed that my rear tire had a slow leak. There was no short cut home and I had two cartridges to use so I decided to ride as fast as I could to see if I could make it home before I ran out of Co2. I had been biking at about 13.5 but I did the next ten miles at 18.5 mph. With 5 miles to go, I cracked my last cartridge and kept cranking as hard as I could go. The leak kept getting worse so I had to stop 2 times to add air but I lucked out and got back to our cottage just as things were starting to get dicy. It was, without a doubt, the hardest workout I've had in more than 9 months. And I was so jazzed to have ridden so fast and made it home without having to call my wife to come save me.

One last crazy thing to share. To celebrate the ride, I decided to try a Coors Light Radler that was in the fridge. Must have been thirsty because while it wasn't good, it wasn't bad either.

2015-07-01 11:57 PM
in reply to: b2b14

Originally posted by b2b14

If you have an ANT+ compatible speed and cadence sensor it should work, there is a formula the game uses to simulate power and then it inputs it into the game. Garmin has a speed and cadence sensor combo for $35-40 on Amazon. Should fit the bill.
2015-07-02 6:35 AM

User image

I got to change my first flat. Had trouble getting my tire on my new front flow rim. about 3 miles in I could hear a rubbing and felt like I was peddling way too hard for how fast I was moving. Looked down and the tire had started to come unseated and was rubbing. I pulled over and looked at it. The tube was still full so I couldn't even get the tire off. Called the wife and she was bringing me my other front tire when the tube popped. Was able to get the tire off put a new tube on and use my CO2 to fill it. glad to know I can do it before I need to.
2015-07-02 8:06 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sorry about your car Devon! How are you feeling today?

Dave, nice ride! Sometimes circumstance changes workouts!

On the Co2 cartridges- I blew a few practicing when I first got them. It's definitely worth doing once or twice. I carry a pump on my mtn bike (I ride tubless but carry a tune just in case I need one). I keep saying I should pull down my road bike.

Last night I did a stroke and stride. I was not fast- but a mile swim (which hopefully was super long as the GPS people were discussing with the organizers after the race) followed by a 5k was a good workout. There's no way a mile swim should take me longer than a 5k though...

So, I need to pick up some speed- I think I need master's in the pool. I need bike speed to. I feel like my endurance has improved- but I seem to be slowing down. Has anyone else had this happen? Is it just a phase?
2015-07-02 9:47 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

DeLand, Florida
I have been noticing a 20psi drop week to week in my front tire, so all this talk about flats is hitting home. I'm also not sure I trust the pressure reading from the pump from just connecting to the valve, sometimes it seems to not seat correctly and I can't put any air in, but it reads like 50-60 psi, so who knows....
2015-07-02 9:51 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
I have a question for the experts here, of which all of you are compared to me

The Y organizing my tri for the end of the month has reached out to all the newbies and offered a couple tri clinics, including OWS plus transition plus getting to ride the bike course. At first I'm thinking I don't need a clinic, I'm doing a tri every Thursday night in my small group class. But the option to swim the lake and ride the course a couple weeks before the tri is very tempting. My wife aka my tri coach (who always thinks I don't need anything), thinks I don't need the clinic. Need is a strong word, but like I said, OWS in the actual lake for my swim plus bike on the actual road course...

2015-07-02 9:54 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by Qua17

Agreed - but you jinxed your team. Cleveland has the better record as of tonight (and we just missed a no hitter!)

We should get together for a game sometime.

Of COURSE I did! Ladies and gentlemen, your 2015 Red Sox! lol.

I've got tickets to a couple more games this year and always looking for someone to go with me....let's set something up!
2015-07-02 12:33 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by firebert

I have a question for the experts here, of which all of you are compared to me

The Y organizing my tri for the end of the month has reached out to all the newbies and offered a couple tri clinics, including OWS plus transition plus getting to ride the bike course. At first I'm thinking I don't need a clinic, I'm doing a tri every Thursday night in my small group class. But the option to swim the lake and ride the course a couple weeks before the tri is very tempting. My wife aka my tri coach (who always thinks I don't need anything), thinks I don't need the clinic. Need is a strong word, but like I said, OWS in the actual lake for my swim plus bike on the actual road course...

Unless it was prohibitively expensive, I would totally do the clinic!! You may not NEED it, as you said, need is a strong word, but it could certainly benefit you in a lot of ways.
2015-07-02 12:58 PM
in reply to: #5126258

User image

Extreme Veteran
John- I say go for it. I find the same thing with my husband- we just learn/ experience things differently. He hates group things like that and I really like them.

If you want to do it- just say so and do it. I think it sounds great!

Go with your gut.
2015-07-02 1:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

DeLand, Florida
Thanks both - just wanted a little validation on my want to do it I reached back out to them and hopefully there's space for me and if so, I'm doing it.

btw on the cost (LOVE the Y!) - it's 'a suggested $20 donation for the clinic'.

(edit) and I'm in! I made my $20 donation online already. I love the internet

Edited by firebert 2015-07-02 1:25 PM
2015-07-02 2:59 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Run and lift for me today! I love lifting--I always feel so strong afterwards.

Currently sitting at the urgent care waiting to see a doctor. Mine is out of town. Woke up this morning with a raging case of poison ivy on my face, including around/on one of my eyes. Given that it typically spreads over the next couple of days for me, I figured I need to nip this one in the bud. I hate getting poison ivy!!!

2015-07-02 7:19 PM
in reply to: #5126368

User image

, Vermont
Zwift - I'm on there but can't use it yet - not Bluetooth compatible yet (920xt). Can't wait until it is! Alan used Zwift a fair amount over the winter I remember. He'd be a great one to chime in.

Gretchen - poison ivy SUCKS!! I react so badly with poison ivy!! I really hope you can get it quickly!! I had to go on steroids one time I had it so bad - my arm tripled in size.

John - absolutely do that "mock tri!" That is a brilliant thing and can only help you!! Race day will be so much easier mentally because you will have done the swim, transition, and bike! Do it!

Scott - definitely good to change a flat for the experience. I changed out my rear tube and tire this year and had to change a flat last year. I'm not fast at it, but at least Ibknow I can do it!

At camp - haven't worked out since the race. Was going to swim this morning but hubby wanted to get going to camp....4 hours later we were on our way. I brought my wetsuit though so I can get one in the lake this weekend and I hope to get in a bike tomorrow.
Happy July 4th a bit ahead of time! My service is intermittent!
Cheers! Oh! I found a couple of 4 packs of Heady Topper! - had to meet the delivery truck! LOL
2015-07-03 8:33 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Good to see everyone getting their training mojo on!

Scott-better to learn tire change on the training then on the race! ( I cut off the valve and use the tube to help secure my bikes on racks)

Nice new bike Gretchen!

Great job on the race Jenn!

Dave good to see you starting to get some mileage in!!

John I just bought a Lezyne floor pump...you screw it on to fill tire...no leaking or anything. cost a bit more but love it!

I have zwift as well but have not uses as I need a Ant stick for computer. Have not bought as I would rather ride outside. I would be in for something in the fall/winter though.

Well just got back from our mini vacation/training holiday...started well but ended bad.

Got to the Okanagan Friday afternoon in time for happy hour. Had some great British Columbia beers over the week.

Weather was hot for me...high 90's low 100's...not so good when you are tenting but...

Managed to get some bikes and lake swims in which was great. Sunday me and my son decided to bike into Penticton. About 2 miles in we were heading down a long hill on hwy when my son hit a rock and lost control.. He flew off his bike at about 35mph. Worst thing I have seen as a parent. Thankfully he was not seriously hurt. Road rash all over but no broken bones or worse. Dr. said a few of them were equivalent to 3rd degree burns. Been a tough week for the family. Going to get back training this weekend. Apparently I have been doing a 1 month taper...Our "A" race is next weekend.

(IMG_2161.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_2161.JPG (3598KB - 3 downloads)
2015-07-03 9:16 AM
in reply to: #5126406

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yikes Thor! I can't imagine watching him crash. I'm glad he's not hurt worse.

As we speak my husband is putting clipless pedals on my mtn bike after riding a year in flats. I hope I remember how to clip/ unclip. I'm going to try and hit a 2 hour ride.
2015-07-03 10:03 AM
in reply to: #5126465

User image

DeLand, Florida
Gretchen - so sorry to hear about the poison ivy! I can't imagine. Never had it, and positive I've been in contact with it. I think I'm that small portion of the population that's quasi-immune to it.

Thor - crash aside glad you had a good trip. That picture is breathtaking! Very very sorry about the crash and very glad there are no more serious injuries. Not that severe road rash isn't serious of course. It'll make a great story next year. For now I hope the little guy heals up soon and well.

Oh and thanks for the tip on the pump. I'll have a look for it. I know the pump we have (a joe blow floor pump) was expensive. But it's pissing me off
2015-07-03 10:08 AM
in reply to: #5126472

User image

DeLand, Florida
I have my second race of the season tonight, my second 5k. This is the stadium one where we run up all the pedestrian ramps to the 300 level then systematically across each level and down. Historically it's my slowest 5k so I'm hoping to at least kick that.

No tri clinic last night for the holiday weekend so I got a swim in instead. 1200 in the outdoor pool. It was glorious! Started with a full 450 crawl, then mixed in some 100 and 150 breast to break up the longer crawl sections (200 and a 300). This was with the Roka Sim shorts on so I'm still 'cheating' a bit but it felt great. The PT for my back is helping a ton. I'm making progress. It's still slow but it's getting better!

2015-07-03 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

This is the one I purchased. You can flip the end to pump Schrader valves as well.

http://www.lezyne.com/product-fpumps-hp-alloy.php#.VZawbUvbIdU

BTW, good luck in your race. Sounds like fun running up and down ramps in a stadium. Good to change things up!

Originally posted by firebert Gretchen - so sorry to hear about the poison ivy! I can't imagine. Never had it, and positive I've been in contact with it. I think I'm that small portion of the population that's quasi-immune to it. Thor - crash aside glad you had a good trip. That picture is breathtaking! Very very sorry about the crash and very glad there are no more serious injuries. Not that severe road rash isn't serious of course. It'll make a great story next year. For now I hope the little guy heals up soon and well. Oh and thanks for the tip on the pump. I'll have a look for it. I know the pump we have (a joe blow floor pump) was expensive. But it's me off

2015-07-03 2:49 PM
in reply to: #5126473

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Short run, medium swim today for me--both felt pretty good, but the swim was awesome. Long ride for me tomorrow and I'm spending the afternoon looking for a nice route! New bike has made me enjoy riding like never before.

Poison ivy is officially under control after 2.5 hours at the urgent care yesterday. They gave me a shot of steroids and then a course of steroids to take daily for a week. 'Ve been down this road before and know that for the next week I'm going to be hungrey, jittery, and grumpy, but at least I won't we itchy, or worse.
2015-07-03 2:50 PM
in reply to: #5126525

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Thor! Glad to hear your son is alright, but dang that must have been scary!
2015-07-03 3:13 PM
in reply to: 0

With the wreck, working overtime the last 3 days at work, and fighting with the insurance company, I've been pretty unmotivated to train the last few days. I'm going to try and make it back to my swim program tomorrow, and actually commit to signing up and going 3 times a week to start.

Ordered a garmin speed and cadence sensor today, so I should be able to start using Zwift and trainer road, hopefully since I haven't been able to get out to ride lately, that will help get me back in the swing of things on the bike. I've heard great things about both.

Even considering pushing my bike purchase back a little and investing in a good trainer, I think part of the reason I fight riding indoors is the fact that my trainer is pretty . Been eyeing up a Tacx smart trainer, power, ant+ the works.

Hope everyone has a fun and safe weekend(and happy 4th to those in the states!)

Edited by GeauxHard 2015-07-03 3:13 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54097 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.