BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-07-27 3:49 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business

The weekend was race day for me as well! I beat my time from last year by about 1:30, so I'm happy with the results. As always, there is room for improvement for next year! Celebrated with my usual Racer 5 IPA. Here is the race report.

I'm a glutton for racing so I signed up for another sprint in just 2 weeks, tis the season!

2015-07-27 4:00 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

DeLand, Florida
Nice Mark! Love that beer btw.

I suppose I am as well as my next tri is in only 3 weeks..
2015-07-27 4:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Hey Mark!! Well done!! I'll check your report out! It's so nice to see progress!!

My race went pretty well. Here is the link to the report. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...
Hopefully it works. I was 5th in my age group - missed the podium by 2 minutes and 1st place in my AG by 4 minutes, but that's okay - gives me something to shoot for next year! The distances were quite a bit off - for example the run was supposed to be 3 miles, my Garmin read 2.8 (from T2 exit mat to finish mat). It wants me to think I ran a 7:52 pace....not so much. LOL.
I celebrated with a Heady Topper! I have only seen one race photo - on my husband's camera so I haven't put it on the computer yet.

Today I got in a 3,050 yard swim (no rest for the weary!). I'm going to seek out the Master's swim coach and figure out why I'm plateauing on my swim times. Yesterday I guess I was doing 1:46/100 yards which I'll take but not sure I'm trusting it. The race was done in meters so it was messing me up on figuring my time.
I've got another race in 2 weeks - deciding if I want to repeat the sprint I did last year or do the Oly and try 6 miles on my knee - haven't done 6 consecutive miles yet on it..... It might be good prep in case I do the HIM on Labor Day weekend - see how the knee reacts.

Edited by aviatrix802 2015-07-27 4:22 PM
2015-07-27 4:24 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by thor67

Well just back from my run...7 5k's in a row, 3 to go!

Woke up at 3:30am this morning and could not get back to sleep. Bailed on morning run and forced myself to run at lunch...

Managed to book a campsite in the Canadian rockies Friday to Tuesday...will be loading 7 bikes in the trailer for the 4 of us...lots of biking, hiking and running!

Niiiiiiice. love this.
We head out camping Saturday - but bringing boats (Adirondack Guide Boat and my kayak). Fishing but no biking or swimming - maybe a run on trails.
2015-07-27 4:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Funny, Dave, I was driving with my son out to a quiet road to do a bike with him when we came across a guy walking his road bike down the highway.

I pulled over, grabbed a spare tire, levers and co2 to give the guy to change. He declined(guessing he might have been tire change challenged), so I threw his bike in the back and drove him home.

Karma, I would want someone to do the same for my wife or kids!

As far as repairs, chain and cartridge I would do myself. I would have to youtube the cables before I commit on those...2 beers...seems pretty damn quick to me...

Originally posted by Qua17 I just got home from a ride/trip to the bike shop. Billy Baroo is in need of some repair so I went to the shop to see what I could do verses what they should do. I have two major repairs that I need to do: 1) replace my chain and my cassette 2) replace my rear shifting cables. For a little more than I would have to pay for labor, I could buy the tools at the shop to do the job and the guy promises me that while it will be challenging it's doable - even for a non nechanical guy like me. When I asked him how long it would take me - he told me - two beers tops. Now those are terms I can understand. What do you think? Is this the most cost efficient way to go? Will I be able to pull this off. Anyone know of some good on line resources that might help me? So on the way home, I was doing hill repeats and I wasn't paying attention and my rear tire caught a pot hole and I flatted. Ugh. Luckily, I had bought some C02 cartridges at the shop and was able to change it. But this nice guy named Pat stopped and was willing to take me home - how cool is that?

Edited by thor67 2015-07-27 4:47 PM
2015-07-27 4:54 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Have fun camping! Best to do it now while the kids still want be with us old folks...

We are also bringing a two person  inflatable kayak. just bought this summer because we don't have enough stuff to pack camping...

Originally posted by aviatrix802
Originally posted by thor67

Well just back from my run...7 5k's in a row, 3 to go!

Woke up at 3:30am this morning and could not get back to sleep. Bailed on morning run and forced myself to run at lunch...

Managed to book a campsite in the Canadian rockies Friday to Tuesday...will be loading 7 bikes in the trailer for the 4 of us...lots of biking, hiking and running!

Niiiiiiice. love this. We head out camping Saturday - but bringing boats (Adirondack Guide Boat and my kayak). Fishing but no biking or swimming - maybe a run on trails.

2015-07-27 5:58 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

cassettes are easy, just buy the tools. I take mine off to clean them, also to change cassettes for hilly or flat terrain.

Nice race reports!

Jenn you are swimming machine!

2015-07-27 6:20 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert

Thor - have a great time this weekend! And best of luck with the last 3 5ks!

Dave - I expect a step by step tutorial and list of tools needed for this stuff Seriously though I'm looking into the cassette bit. With the cracks in the rim, and the current wear on the cassette, I'm planning on replacing with a new wheel and new cassette which means I'm going to need to know how to install one.

Great job on the long workouts Gretchen and Scott!

John - I may be calling you for help. It could get ugly... But seriously - these are the skills I need to learn to save myself some cash in the long run.
2015-07-27 6:28 PM

User image

Expert

Hey Mark!! Well done!! I'll check your report out! It's so nice to see progress!!

My race went pretty well. Here is the link to the report. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...
Hopefully it works. I was 5th in my age group - missed the podium by 2 minutes and 1st place in my AG by 4 minutes, but that's okay - gives me something to shoot for next year! The distances were quite a bit off - for example the run was supposed to be 3 miles, my Garmin read 2.8 (from T2 exit mat to finish mat). It wants me to think I ran a 7:52 pace....not so much. LOL.
I celebrated with a Heady Topper! I have only seen one race photo - on my husband's camera so I haven't put it on the computer yet.

Today I got in a 3,050 yard swim (no rest for the weary!). I'm going to seek out the Master's swim coach and figure out why I'm plateauing on my swim times. Yesterday I guess I was doing 1:46/100 yards which I'll take but not sure I'm trusting it. The race was done in meters so it was messing me up on figuring my time.
I've got another race in 2 weeks - deciding if I want to repeat the sprint I did last year or do the Oly and try 6 miles on my knee - haven't done 6 consecutive miles yet on it..... It might be good prep in case I do the HIM on Labor Day weekend - see how the knee reacts.

Congrats Jenn! That's awesome. Question - why the discrepancy between your actual swim time and what your garmin told you?

I think trying for the Oly to give your knee a test run make a lot of sense. If it hurts - you can come up with a plan on how you want to tackle the race on Labor day. That's your A race right? Who knows - your knee might not hurt at all!
2015-07-27 6:29 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

Jenn you are swimming machine!

X2 - I would kill for a 1:46 x 100 swim. That's damn fast!
2015-07-27 6:53 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Awesome races everyone, Jenn, John, Mark!

Thor, sounds like an awesome vacation!

Sandi

2015-07-27 10:08 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice races Jenn, John and Mark!

I had a great time at my Xterra. I'm glad I stuck to the 1 loop as I actually had a faster pace on the run than the bike. The course was gorgeous though and made me want to be a better biker for next year! I was super glad I swapped in my flat pedals though. I was on and off a lot.

The swim felt long (even if times do not agree with that - my husband's GPS said 1.2 miles vs. 1200m...). I felt like it was a good swim even though the race splits don't agree.

The bike was awesome- just gorgeous- but I need to learn to ride short, steep, loose hills- I was off my bike a lot. The trails were very twisty and narrow in places. Any tips for really steep short climbs?

My run was pretty good. I fell down and got scraped up, but got back up and it felt pretty good after that. I loved the first 3/4 mile on a board walk over a swamp!

I ended up getting my first ever medal too- a third! So that was cool.

Even thought it was really hard- it was a great course and both my husband (who was top ten overall), my daughter and I want to make it an annual trip. We had a great babysitter and there was an awesome beach full of kids.

It was a cool location and we did a gorgeous hike the next day before heading home.
2015-07-28 8:11 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Great job Kate! Third place, sweet! Seen your pic on the boardwalk, sounds like a great course! The trick to going up steep hills is called a ski lift...

Originally posted by Moonrocket Nice races Jenn, John and Mark! I had a great time at my Xterra. I'm glad I stuck to the 1 loop as I actually had a faster pace on the run than the bike. The course was gorgeous though and made me want to be a better biker for next year! I was super glad I swapped in my flat pedals though. I was on and off a lot. The swim felt long (even if times do not agree with that - my husband's GPS said 1.2 miles vs. 1200m...). I felt like it was a good swim even though the race splits don't agree. The bike was awesome- just gorgeous- but I need to learn to ride short, steep, loose hills- I was off my bike a lot. The trails were very twisty and narrow in places. Any tips for really steep short climbs? My run was pretty good. I fell down and got scraped up, but got back up and it felt pretty good after that. I loved the first 3/4 mile on a board walk over a swamp! I ended up getting my first ever medal too- a third! So that was cool. Even thought it was really hard- it was a great course and both my husband (who was top ten overall), my daughter and I want to make it an annual trip. We had a great babysitter and there was an awesome beach full of kids. It was a cool location and we did a gorgeous hike the next day before heading home.

2015-07-28 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
Kate so glad to hear you rocked your race and making the podium is pretty awesome too! It sounds like this might be a family event for years to come.

What's next for you?
2015-07-28 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Weighed in this morning to discover I had dropped out of the 220's. My weight is now 218 and I'm hoping to lose 10 pounds by August 30 for my HIM. For me right now - my biggest limiter is weight. I can work on my cadence all I want but my 50 pounds of fat is what is really slowing me down. Last night I took the drastic step to skip the beer and have water with dinner. Oh what we do for our passion for Tri.

The plan today is to crank out a 10K and then swim 2500 yards. It's funny how having a race coming up focuses you!

Hope everyone has a great day! And as the month comes to a close - don't forget to brag about your accomplishments! We are all killing it and deserve to shout from the rooftops or from the couch how awesome we are!
2015-07-28 10:41 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

Weighed in this morning to discover I had dropped out of the 220's. My weight is now 218 and I'm hoping to lose 10 pounds by August 30 for my HIM. For me right now - my biggest limiter is weight. I can work on my cadence all I want but my 50 pounds of fat is what is really slowing me down. Last night I took the drastic step to skip the beer and have water with dinner. Oh what we do for our passion for Tri.

The plan today is to crank out a 10K and then swim 2500 yards. It's funny how having a race coming up focuses you!

Hope everyone has a great day! And as the month comes to a close - don't forget to brag about your accomplishments! We are all killing it and deserve to shout from the rooftops or from the couch how awesome we are!

Congrats on the weight loss Dave!!

I hate how omitting the booze really does help drop the pounds. It is a double whammy though--high calorie/low nutrient value, plus your body processes alcohol first (to get rid of the perceived toxin) and all other calories get stored as fat. Ugh.

2015-07-28 10:44 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Medium bike ride for me this morning. Either these rides are getting a lot longer, or I'm getting a lot faster, because the difference between my long ride on Saturday and my medium ride today was only 9% (by mileage). Both are probably true, but I like to think it is the latter! Strength session at the gym later this afternoon.

2015-07-28 1:47 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

GREAT WORK on the weight loss, Dave!

Sandi
2015-07-28 8:57 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Dave congrats on the weight loss. Perhaps I should join you guys and drop out of the clyd class. Its hard as I am a competitive clyd not so much age grouper. I am hovering at 224 but I am eating a pint of ice cream a night and drinking more beer than I care to admit too.
2015-07-28 9:08 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by b2b14

Dave congrats on the weight loss. Perhaps I should join you guys and drop out of the clyd class. Its hard as I am a competitive clyd not so much age grouper. I am hovering at 224 but I am eating a pint of ice cream a night and drinking more beer than I care to admit too.

Sounds like a tough trade off to me! I'm a big ice cream fan.
2015-07-28 9:20 PM

User image

, Vermont

Congrats Jenn! That's awesome. Question - why the discrepancy between your actual swim time and what your garmin told you?

I think trying for the Oly to give your knee a test run make a lot of sense. If it hurts - you can come up with a plan on how you want to tackle the race on Labor day. That's your A race right? Who knows - your knee might not hurt at all!

I guess there wasn't as much time discrepancy on the swim as I thought. My Garmin was geared to yards and the swim was figured in meters. It was strange - I don't remember crossing a mat on the way into the water like I've done at other races - guessing they just started our time on the start gun for our wave so that may be where it's a bit off. (I started it when he told us to go) The distance was what I was wondering about. Granted I ran up the hill a bit into T1 before hacking my watch but the race was supposed to be 500m = about 548 yds and I came up with 731 yards. It didn't look like I swam too off course from my map. Regardless - no big shake! If there was a distance discrepancy, it would be the same for everyone! Oh, the swim was pretty gross too - quite weedy. Folks who swam it the day before said there were so many very large fish right under them that didn't move, just hung out there. One girl bagged on doing the race because the swim scared her. LOL Probably some big bass, maybe pike (aka fresh water barracuda). LOL

2015-07-28 9:22 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Nice races Jenn, John and Mark!

I had a great time at my Xterra. I'm glad I stuck to the 1 loop as I actually had a faster pace on the run than the bike. The course was gorgeous though and made me want to be a better biker for next year! I was super glad I swapped in my flat pedals though. I was on and off a lot.

The swim felt long (even if times do not agree with that - my husband's GPS said 1.2 miles vs. 1200m...). I felt like it was a good swim even though the race splits don't agree.

The bike was awesome- just gorgeous- but I need to learn to ride short, steep, loose hills- I was off my bike a lot. The trails were very twisty and narrow in places. Any tips for really steep short climbs?

My run was pretty good. I fell down and got scraped up, but got back up and it felt pretty good after that. I loved the first 3/4 mile on a board walk over a swamp!

I ended up getting my first ever medal too- a third! So that was cool.

Even thought it was really hard- it was a great course and both my husband (who was top ten overall), my daughter and I want to make it an annual trip. We had a great babysitter and there was an awesome beach full of kids.

It was a cool location and we did a gorgeous hike the next day before heading home.

Great job, Kate!!! Well done!! That sounds like so much fun and it's so cool you could do this together! I can't help you on gravel, short, steep - I'm not very good on a mountain bike!! I can certainly ask around though, I have a couple of friends who are heavy into it. But again, WELL DONE!!!
2015-07-28 9:24 PM

User image

, Vermont

Whoop! Whoop!! Nice weight loss, Dave!
Nice run and swim!
2015-07-28 9:31 PM

User image

, Vermont
A funny thing, these training plans! Today I had a s/b/r again - ironically all distances longer than the race I did on Sunday! (not nearly the intensity though).
Swim - open water at 06:30 with a few friends for just over 1,500 yards
then I dropped the kids off at rock climbing camp and back home for:
bike - 50 minutes for almost 15 miles; hop off and:
run - gentle 30 minutes for 3.14 miles (I like to say I ran pi). LOL
It was just over 80 degrees and humid. Yuck. I took it a bit easy - I don't do hot and humid that well.
Glad it's a big training week - next week will be light while I'm on vacation and also serve as "taper week" for my next race on the 9th.

Dave, I think you're right. I think I will try the Oly to test the knee. Tomorrow I run about 5 miles and the next day maybe 6 or 7 so we'll see how it goes.
2015-07-29 6:50 AM

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Good morning everyone!

Had a great weekend off work(Monday Tuesday), finished it off yesterday with a pretty hard training day, did 4800m in the pool, IM day so it got to be pretty brutal at points. Went home and grabbed a few hours of sleep to recharge the batteries then prepped and went out for a long run. Brought the fuel belt along today, even at the expense of looking like a tri dork :P Skratch labs orange in the bottles and gu chomps in orange for some solid fuel. Ended up getting in a tad bit over 11.5 miles in. Longest run so far for me. First 5 miles I held at around an 8:30 pace, next 3 at around 9:30 and then the last few at around a 10 min pace, not the fastest but I was mostly just concerned with getting some distance out of my legs.

Came home with 40 lbs of ice for an ice bath, BRUTAL. And then I was in bed early.

Today I've got some errands to run, but the goal is to make the 11am swim practice and get a short ride in, might set my bike up and try Zwift..depends on how hot it is outside.

Hope everyone is having a great week, and congrats to everyone who raced over the weekend!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54310 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.