BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-11-06 6:22 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
So excited you have an Oly!! Have a blast!! It was 68 degrees here today, but the high for Sunday will be in the low 40's. Open water swims are done for me until next summer!!
Hopefully your neck/shoulders will be fine. I rode 18 miles but these aerobars lean me over so much farther than my roadie clip-ons, my neck is still sore!
Good luck and have fun!!

2015-11-06 8:09 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sandishr

Originally posted by Qua17

[ Tomorrow it's supposed to get into the 30's.... But the founder of this group - BigDH - has one the BT Cold Weather contest 4 times. So I figure if he can do it, so can I.

When do you think you will get the green light from the doc?

Green with envy here. :-) Good work!

Green light...will find out more in a couple of days but I'm probably at least a week away from even being cleared to walk the dog. :-( Still in a fair amount of discomfort which means inflammation which means things aren't very stable. Also means I'm on pain meds which = No Beer. THAT is the real tragedy.

Have been "taking advantage" of it though to put myself and hubby on the first couple of weeks of an elimination type diet, which I can't do when I'm working out. No alcohol, no sugar, minimal to no carbs, just lots of lean protein and vegetables. Hubby needs to lose 15-20 lbs and it's the best way to kick start him. And since I can't walk the dogs, he's had to. He's down 6 lbs! And I'm managing to maintain despite minimal movement and being on steroids, so at least I'm not going to be a blimp when this is over.
Sandi

Sandi - milk that dog walking thing for all it's worth. Just think - you can sit on the couch and recover while youre helping your hubby get into better shape. Now that's win/win! Get better soon. You are in our prayers!
2015-11-06 8:14 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

30'S Man it is 69 today in NC. Heading to Florida Friday morning doing a half Saturday night, then staying for vacation till next Thursday. Still not in the groove after IM. Going to do a 3-4 mile run today, but I have to get motivated. I feel like a sloth. I have paid for IM Raleigh and money in bank for B2B. Figuring how to raise the money for IM Maryland and race with Dave.

Hey Ironman! Cut yourself some slack. You just finished an Ironman! That was your A race and it's bound to take you a bit to recover your mojo. Hell, it took me almost 6 months.

Are you thinking of doing 3 IM next year? That's crazy talk!
2015-11-06 8:32 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Went to the PT today to discover why my calves have been bugging me since mid september. I've pulled them 2x and when I wake up in the morning, I feel like I'm 70 years old. I literally hobble to the bathroom. Turns out - my core has found interesting ways of compensating again. In 2013 - my body compensated by having my Hip Flexors do most of the work. This time, my lazy care muscles are making my calves their bit*h. According to my PT, when I stand, my weight is centered on my pads and toes - which makes me stand at a bit of an angle. Normally, my core muscles would kick in to straighten myself out - but they are lazy so the calf muscles engage to pick up the slack.

Confused? So was I. So I sat down while the trainer explained it to me.... So, I'm sitting there and none of what she is saying makes sense... and she realizes I'm not buying it. So so points my my toes which were at a 30 degree angle to the floor with my heels about an inch off the floor. She asked me - do you feel your calves. Yes, I said. They are killing me as usual. With that, she kicked out her feet and pushed my feet forward about a 1/2 foot. With my toes not holding me in place, I almost feel forward out of the chair. If my core had been working - I would have caught myself. But since my halves were holding me upper body in place - I fell forward. So they gave me a couple of exercises and we'll see how that goes.

In other news - My PT/trainer told me that he didn't have time to make up my workout plans anymore. I won't lie - I'm crush. I've come to trust this man almost as much as my wife and no one knows me screwed up body better. He suggested a few others - but I want someone who knows my body and can adapt a plan to what my body can do in a specific moment. Not sure what the hell to do.

Finally - let's here is for Alex/Nancy Boy! He's racing IM Florida this weekend! Please send him your prayers and support!
2015-11-06 8:33 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

Originally posted by Juancho

So similar to walk-run, I will do aero-non aero alternating until I get used to it.

I noticed last week my back and shoulders were not very happy in aero when I did my brick (bike - run) workout. Not having a good long bike ride for almost 2 months was likely the culprit. When I was going on rides regularly I could stay in aero longer. Hopefully my back will be more accommodating this coming Sunday for my Oly!

Good luck Mark!
2015-11-07 9:23 AM

User image

It all went a little downhill after my HM. A combination of a cold, which I just couldn't shake off, and maybe a lack of motivation.
Have made a concerted effort this week, and my training diary is looking a lot healthier, as are the next few weeks.

Not sure that darker nights, and the lousy weather we're having have helped.

Oh well, soon be Christmas........

2015-11-07 10:57 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802

Inaugural ride on Vader... holy smokes this will take some getting used to - such an aggressive position.

LOL....and you just posted why I chose to spend a small fortune on a carbon upright! I tried once or twice but just couldn't do it, especially after the vision loss. Can't wait to see pics of you zooming around on Vader. :-)

Sandi
2015-11-07 3:35 PM
in reply to: Shakeybear

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Shakeybear

It all went a little downhill after my HM. A combination of a cold, which I just couldn't shake off, and maybe a lack of motivation.
Have made a concerted effort this week, and my training diary is looking a lot healthier, as are the next few weeks.

Not sure that darker nights, and the lousy weather we're having have helped.

Oh well, soon be Christmas........

Sometimes - it's tough to get going after a big race. but nice job of bouncing back!.. And if the commercials in the States are to be trusted - Christmas is right around the corner.

Where do you live in England?
2015-11-08 2:56 AM

User image

Dave, we are in Derbyshire. I am very fortunate as there is some amazing countryside right out my front door. The downside is it's mostly hilly!

Where are you.
2015-11-09 8:22 AM
in reply to: Shakeybear

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Very lazy weekend around here. I'm still fighting off jet lag, so I should be happy that I got in five workouts since coming home. Friday I did a run and a swim, but then hopped in the car and drove to meet the in-laws for lunch. They think this is a great thing, we meet "half way" and have lunch. Of course, they are all retired and have nothing to do with their days. We end up spending five hours in the car (2.5 hours each way) plus two hours eating a mediocre lunch at a buffet (GROSS!).

Saturday and Sunday I did my best impersonation of a slug. My fitbit wants to know if I'm still alive.

Back on the wagon this morning with a quick 2.85mi run with the dog (356/400). First run in the "cold" (30F). Not so bad in the grand scheme of what is to come, but when I think that just 10 days ago I was running in 90F (at 6am), it sure does seem cold! Later this morning I'm planning a swim. Not sure if I told you all, but my mom broke her arm back in September, which put paid to her annual goal of swimming 100 miles. She had 35 miles left when she broke her arm. I decided to surprise her and swim her 35 miles for her, which would have been totally easy if I hadn't then immediately left the country for 5 weeks with no access to a pool. So, double workout day for me. I'm trying to get in 2000-2500 yds each swim. If I can do that 4-5 times a week between now and mid-December, I'll make the goal. I'll also be dang tired come mid-December!
2015-11-09 11:11 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Originally posted by drfoodlove

I decided to surprise her and swim her 35 miles for her, which would have been totally easy if I hadn't then immediately left the country for 5 weeks with no access to a pool. So, double workout day for me. I'm trying to get in 2000-2500 yds each swim. If I can do that 4-5 times a week between now and mid-December, I'll make the goal. I'll also be dang tired come mid-December!

That is SO awesome, Gretchen! What a neat dual goal. :-)

Sandi

2015-11-09 9:47 PM
in reply to: #5151092

User image

Thx Dave your right I needed a break but it's time to train for dopey. I could not imagine the temp swing from 90s to 30s in just days for workouts. That is truly crazy.

The half marathon was cut to about 7 miles (6.85-7 depending on whose gps you believe) due to lightning delaying the start. I learned that I do not like running at 2200 I would much rather get up at 4 than run at night. I also learned that having a time and getting placed in a corral for large races is critical. Much better experience than my first Disney race where I was in the last coral and took almost 4 miles to thin out and start running more and weaving less.
2015-11-10 4:36 PM
in reply to: #5151517

User image

, Vermont
A quick note for those interested, REI is selling the Garmin 920xt for $375 from Nov 13-23!
2015-11-10 7:35 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Hey everyone,

It's been awhile for me. I started a new job as a bike courier. Best. job. ever. I ride about 40-60km/day all over Ottawa.

I don't have much else to report. I spent the last month doing some relatively unstructured training and will start back into base training next week. My wife signed up for the Muskoka HIM in July. It'll be her first IM event. She's nervous about the swim so we're going to get in the pool this winter getting her swim game up. Should be a fun experience for both of us, me as a coach and her as an athlete training for an HIM. 

I'm still building my coaching business. It's been a lot of fun. I've been working with Kurt for the last 3 months which has been a lot of fun and I'm running some indoor spin training sessions this winter. 

That's about it for now. Glad to see everyone is going well and getting some training done. 

2015-11-11 2:31 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

My Oly is in the books: race report! Did much better this year compared to last. The modifications to the swim course kept us out of the current which made a big difference. There is still some room for improvement in my run along the beach at the end, here's looking at next year for a course PR.

2015-11-11 4:42 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Congrats!! Sounds like you had great fun in a beautiful scenery race!

Juan

2015-11-11 4:42 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Congrats!! Sounds like you had great fun in a beautiful scenery race!

Juan
2015-11-12 11:05 AM
in reply to: Juancho

Extreme Veteran
do you guys have room for another??
2015-11-12 2:26 PM
in reply to: nicruns

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Run and swim for me today. Run was with the pup this morning and then swim this afternoon (361 & 362/400). All this swimming is paying off! I'm swimming faster than ever--untended consequence! I'm down to just 21.6 miles left!

I don't think anyone has asked this yet, but forgive me if I just missed it (and all the answers!). What are your "off-season" goals?

I'm doing a run focused off-season (or, will be once I finish all this swimming!). So, most of my goals are focused around the run, to which I'm still pretty new.

1.) Get nutrition under control and lose 25 pounds (I have more, but slow and steady have always won this race).
2.) Run 4 days a week.
3.) Shave 15 seconds off mile time, and be able to sustain that for at least 3 miles.
2015-11-13 6:39 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

hey everyone. I do solemnly pledge to do better about getting on here.

I ran the Disney (Half of a) Half Marathon Wine and Dine. It was cut short due to weather. I struggled it was my longest run since IM. I am back to my pre race weight (yuck). I am getting back on the horse this week.

Got my Tattoo today and want to let it heal for a few days before I run. I will post a picture once it starts to heal. We always have room for one more.

Gretchen- 15 sec for your one mile time is a strong goal, holding it for 3 is awesome. I am sure you can do it. Keep us posted.

Next race - Dopey
2015-11-13 6:48 PM

User image

Hey everyone, 

I'm putting together a cycling/triathlon related podcast. I'm getting a bunch of different people from the local community here in Ottawa to 'come on the show' for an interview but I'd really like to get some 'international' guests. If any of the veterans of BDAS (especially if you've done HIM or IM events) would like to Skype in or do a Google hangout to be on the podcast that would be awesome. The only thing I ask is you have some way of capturing your voice with half-decent quality. 

2015-11-13 8:28 PM
in reply to: nicruns

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by nicruns

do you guys have room for another??

There's always room for more. I'd suggest reading the first page of the forum and introducing yourself. Dave Q. will be along shortly to introduce himself too. He's the leader of the forum.

Welcome!
2015-11-13 8:55 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Mark: Congrats on the race! Nice report.

Gretchen: I'll let you know about the off season plans in about 3 days. Gotta finish the season first, but I have some ideas.

I have one more race left on Sunday. It's my first ever Marathon. I'm deep into the pre-race doubts. It's hard to mentally wrap my head around getting ready for a race by doing what feels like nothing during the taper. I know I'll be out there and doing my best. I just hope I can meet my goals. 5 hrs target; 4.5 hours stretch.

Question for the masses
I'm wondering if anyone else tries to tone down talking about their races unless someone else brings it up. I'm proud of my accomplishments, but I don't want to come off pretentious or be "that guy" that's always talking about racing. Since this is the first race I've ever done where I don't have friends with me, I'm not really talking about it much. Luckily I know I can always come in here and talk to you guys.

It makes me think of this: http://running.competitor.com/2015/10/video/video-women-runs-a-mara...
2015-11-14 10:20 AM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Dsve- I went 6 hours without using the word ironman it was really tough

(FE.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
FE.jpg (2355KB - 4 downloads)
2015-11-14 1:46 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

Dsve- I went 6 hours without using the word ironman it was really tough

Badass! And setting a record of 6 hours shows incredible restraint on your part. The fact that your wife threatened to smack you may have helped
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54443 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.