BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-12-14 1:12 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
#397/400--3100 yds swim this morning. Bailed on my run this morning when I failed to set my alarm and woke up at 10:15am. Oops! Guess I needed some extra sleep. Also glad I had nothing on the schedule for this morning at work.

2015-12-15 2:53 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

#397/400--3100 yds swim this morning. Bailed on my run this morning when I failed to set my alarm and woke up at 10:15am. Oops! Guess I needed some extra sleep. Also glad I had nothing on the schedule for this morning at work.

10:15!!!?? That's just awesome! I would give my eye teeth to sleep that late! Good for you - your body clearly needed it!
So how does it feel to be 3.....yes, 3 workouts away from your goal?! Keep going, girl!! You are awesome!!

So today...I did not workout at all...
I did have 2 people here for measurements in the bedrooms for carpeting and a guy here about our kitchen cabinets, started setting up my class for next semester, got my hair cut and am waiting for the boys to get off the bus so I can take them to get their hair cut and also order the carpet for said bedrooms... I feel like I've accomplished something but yet failed to schedule my workout in. Do as I say and not as I do....don't forget to make your workouts just as much of a priority as everything else. hahahaha
2015-12-15 5:50 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
#397/400 (typo yesterday!)--afternoon run with the pup after finishing up finals and grading for the semester!! Woot!! No more classes for four whole weeks!!! Run was rough (no pun intended). I don't know what it is about training in the afternoon, but it sure does make me glad most (all?) races start in the morning!
2015-12-16 5:39 AM
in reply to: #5156323

User image

Expert
I'm on the trainer this morning at my school getting maybe my best workout in in the last three months. First 40 minutes was for me next five minutes is for Gretchen and everyone else Who has come so far and worked so hard this year to achieve their goals.

It's on! Thanks for all the support!
2015-12-16 1:52 PM
in reply to: #5156775

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
#398--run with the pup this morning
#399--swim at lunch

#400--?!?!?!? Don't know yet, but I'll be deciding tonight what that goal meeting workout will be!
2015-12-16 4:54 PM
in reply to: #5156868

User image

, Vermont
My oldest got car sick on the bus ride to school this morning (hot bus and was assigned seating in the back) and he is prone to carsickness...it was his perfect storm so as soon as he got off, up came breakfast and they sent him home. So, I had to bag my PT appt this morning and my swim and sat home playing games and eating junk food with him instead. He enjoyed his "free day" at home relaxing....no, he's not really sick, just got car sick, happens a fair amount, poor kid.

2015-12-17 5:17 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

My oldest got car sick on the bus ride to school this morning (hot bus and was assigned seating in the back) and he is prone to carsickness...it was his perfect storm so as soon as he got off, up came breakfast and they sent him home. So, I had to bag my PT appt this morning and my swim and sat home playing games and eating junk food with him instead. He enjoyed his "free day" at home relaxing....no, he's not really sick, just got car sick, happens a fair amount, poor kid.

Boo - sorry to hear that your son got sick but glad you got to spend time with him! Eating junkfood is a bonus too!
2015-12-17 5:22 AM

User image

Expert
Check out how far Gretchen has come! Congrats Gretchen! I can't wait to hear all about workout #400. I think you should change your name to DrConsistancy

The promised bio

Name: Gretchen

Demographics: 35yo, married, female, live in southern Illinois

Back story: Saw triathlon in the 2012 Olympics and thought it sounded cool, decided to give training a try to expand on an existing weight loss/workout program. Trained inconsistently through winter 2012, all 2013 and all 2014. First races in 2014.

2014 Races: Wood River Sprint Triathlon--goal was to finish and not die--accomplished! Second Tri was called the "Trail of Tears" Tri in Cape Girardeau, MO, also a sprint. It took me 2:45min--I was DFL. The name is apparently both a historical reference to the bike path (parts are on the road that was built over part of the Trail of Tears) and also a commentary on the bike course. It was just brutal.

2015 Races: I want to bump up to Oly distance this year. I plan repeat the two races I did in 2014. WR I did with my sister, and it was just fun to have our family cheering us on--it is close to where my folks live. TOT--I want vengeance!! I also want to add another early season race in April/early May and a sprint in early July to keep me honest and training. The Oly I have picked is in mid-September.

Complications: I travel a lot for work. I spend weeks at a time in the middle of the desert in Middle Egypt. There is no possibility of either swimming or biking while there. On my last trip in Nov/Dec I managed to run 52miles in the month along the stretch of road visible to the guards in front of our dig house. It is pretty easy to run (flat, straight), but takes a significant amount of mental toughness to endure the pointing and questions from the locals who think I'm crazy for running back and forth day after day (and also, you have to watch for the donkey poop!).

2015 Goals: Consistency is a big problem for me. I do great for a while, but then my schedule gets thrown off and I have huge gaps between workouts. This year my goals are set so they are relatively easy to attain, but will require consistent work throughout the year.
1.) 400 workouts of at least 30 minutes (most will be s/b/r, but I intentionally left it open to allow for some spontaneity and variety)
2.) Run 600 miles; Bike 1000 miles; Swim 100 miles
3.) Olympic Distance Race

Beer: Right now I'm eight days into Dryanuary (no alcohol in January). Generally, I'm a dark beer kind of woman. I like porters and stouts the best, but I have to say a nice fruity beer every now and then does go down well, especially on a hot day. I'm also a big bourbon drinker.
2015-12-17 5:25 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Went to the PT yesterday and they saw some real progress. Shoulder still hurts and my core is weak but I'm getting closer to where I need to be.

Hard bike yesterday and 2 mile run this morning. It's getting cold up here.

2015-12-17 11:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
#400!!!--4.39 mi run with the pup. I decided that #400 should be a normal training day, in keeping with my motto this year of consistency. I was whining to my wife that I wanted it to be an epic workout to mark reaching my goal and she said "Every run is epic for Dixie, so there you go."

Thanks to all of you for your support, encouragement, inspires, sharing your stores, and just generally being AWESOME!!!

Edited by drfoodlove 2015-12-17 1:37 PM
2015-12-17 11:44 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Good to see activity as the year is wrapping up! I still have one more half-marathon before my year is done. Fortunately it seems like my PF is mostly cleared up as I've been able to run without pain for about a month now. Unfortunately as one pain is resolved a new one comes into play as I have a pinched nerve in my shoulder. When I swim there isn't any discomfort so I've still been able to get some time in the pool.

Anyone try any good seasonal ales? I'm always a big fan of Anchor's Christmas Ale.

2015-12-17 2:04 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

, Vermont
So it's done. WTC has now branded the BTB an "IM" race and the price has almost doubled. I hear it's $700 for the full. The following is a quote:

Wilmington's rich history and premier location make it one of the most beautiful cities in the south.

In 2014, Wilmington was honored with the title of "Best Riverfront City in America" by USA Today's 10 Best reader's poll. In 2003, the city was designated by the US Congress as a "Coast Guard City." It is the home port for the USCGC Diligence, a United States Coast Guard medium endurance cutter, and the World War II battleship USS North Carolina, a majestic symbol of this country's hard-earned naval victories in World War II. Located across from the downtown port area, the ship is open to public tours. Other attractions include the Cape Fear Museum, the Wilmington Hammerheads United Soccer Leagues soccer team, and the city's world-class children's museum.
The PPD IRONMAN North Carolina features a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike, and a 26.2-mile run through coastal and southeastern North Carolina. It is a unique "point-to-point-to-point-to-point" event, with each leg finishing in a different location. (The PPD IRONMAN 70.3 North Carolina will take place on the same day.)
The swim starts at the southern tip of beautiful Wrightsville Beach and takes place in a channel connected to the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway. Always on an incoming tide, the current makes for consistently fast swim times. The bike course then takes competitors from Wrightsville Beach through the outskirts of Wilmington and three surrounding counties before returning to Historic Downtown Wilmington to the second transition area. The two-loop run is an out-and-back, flat and fast run course starting in historic Wilmington and leads athletes around picturesque Greenfield Lake. The race finishes in downtown Wilmington on the Cape Fear River just across from the historic USS North Carolina Battleship.
The 2016 IRONMAN North Carolina offers 30 qualifying slots for the 2017 IRONMAN World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.

Originally from: http://m.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/north-caroli...
2015-12-18 11:33 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
#401--2300 yd swim at lunch

Last day of the semester here. Things are very quiet in the gym!
2015-12-19 2:25 PM

Hey can I join?

41 year old who races in the Fat guy group. this will be my second year. Last season I did 1 sprint and 1 Half Iron. Huge mistake trying to do that distance my first year. I had no idea how to train for it, and ended up with stress fractures in both knees . Ready to start this year and hopefully get some good advice. I have 1 sprint, 1 half iron and 2 intermediates scheduled for this year. i am also doing Ragnar and tough mudder.
I love GOOD beer mostly German and Belgian styles. I brew beer and mead, so I am bit of a beer snob though. Nothing better than coming in from a long run and opening a beer that you made. Yum.
2015-12-20 12:25 AM
in reply to: #5075170

Just completed my first run in six months due to a injury timeout. Wish I could say I feel good, but I feel like I just kicked my own ass. Glad I did it though. The first days are always the hardest. Here's to many more. Cheers.
2015-12-20 3:59 PM
in reply to: #5157338

User image

, Vermont
Better you kicked your own ass than someone else kicking it! Haha! Welcome aboard!! Congrats on getting that first one back in- it's hard to do!!

Heading to the land of powder and Poligamy pale ale! Hahaha! My workouts will consist of carving some pow turns and hoisting 16 ouncers for the next week!
Cheers all!!

2015-12-21 4:32 AM
in reply to: #5157365

User image

Expert
Mark: hope your shoulder gets to feeling better soon! I am glad to hear that it doesn't hurt…thank God for small favors! As for Christmas ales I'm kind of partial to Great Lakes Christmas Ale!
2015-12-21 4:36 AM
in reply to: #5157393

User image

Expert
BGreen - welcome to the party! There's always and open stool in the BDAS! Congrats on notching your first half Iron Man even though It caused you so much pain that is quite The accomplishment! Two questions what's your name and what's your plan for this year? Congrats on getting that first workout in. The first is always the toughest - it's all downhill from here
2015-12-21 4:40 AM
in reply to: #5157394

User image

Expert
Good morning everybody! Do me a favor and keep your eye open for when the new mentor session starts as I want to get our group into next years forum as soon as possible.

Woke up this morning with an incredibly sore shoulder. Really starting to wonder when this thing is going to heal ??

Anyone ever had an impingement?
2015-12-22 6:08 AM

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802

So it's done. WTC has now branded the BTB an "IM" race and the price has almost doubled. I hear it's $700 for the full. The following is a quote:

Wilmington's rich history and premier location make it one of the most beautiful cities in the south.

In 2014, Wilmington was honored with the title of "Best Riverfront City in America" by USA Today's 10 Best reader's poll. In 2003, the city was designated by the US Congress as a "Coast Guard City." It is the home port for the USCGC Diligence, a United States Coast Guard medium endurance cutter, and the World War II battleship USS North Carolina, a majestic symbol of this country's hard-earned naval victories in World War II. Located across from the downtown port area, the ship is open to public tours. Other attractions include the Cape Fear Museum, the Wilmington Hammerheads United Soccer Leagues soccer team, and the city's world-class children's museum.
The PPD IRONMAN North Carolina features a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike, and a 26.2-mile run through coastal and southeastern North Carolina. It is a unique "point-to-point-to-point-to-point" event, with each leg finishing in a different location. (The PPD IRONMAN 70.3 North Carolina will take place on the same day.)
The swim starts at the southern tip of beautiful Wrightsville Beach and takes place in a channel connected to the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway. Always on an incoming tide, the current makes for consistently fast swim times. The bike course then takes competitors from Wrightsville Beach through the outskirts of Wilmington and three surrounding counties before returning to Historic Downtown Wilmington to the second transition area. The two-loop run is an out-and-back, flat and fast run course starting in historic Wilmington and leads athletes around picturesque Greenfield Lake. The race finishes in downtown Wilmington on the Cape Fear River just across from the historic USS North Carolina Battleship.
The 2016 IRONMAN North Carolina offers 30 qualifying slots for the 2017 IRONMAN World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.

Originally from: http://m.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/north-caroli...

yes I saw this. I got to sign up a day early for the half. Looks like IM Maryland is out for this year, but I have already told the wife I am going to do the full next year. I'm going to sign up at the half this year to save the $50. I am not real happy about it but not much I can do.
2015-12-22 12:29 PM
in reply to: #5157395

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
#403---2500yds in the pool this morning. Arrived at the in laws house yesterday afternoon and already needed to pull out the workout card for some alone time this morning! Hoping things settle down this week, or it is gonna be a long one.

2015-12-23 8:31 AM
in reply to: #5157628

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
#404--unconventional 40min HIIT workout in my in-laws garage this morning due to the torrential thunderstorm going on here! No running due to lightening. No bike available. No swimming due to pool closure. What is a girl to do other than run around like a crazy person in the garage?!? Burpees, jumping jacks, shadow boxing, interrupted by rounds of push ups, planks, calf raises, and whatever else I could think of. Short, intense, and glorious!!!

Happy training everyone!!!
2015-12-23 9:13 PM

User image

Expert

#404--unconventional 40min HIIT workout in my in-laws garage this morning due to the torrential thunderstorm going on here! No running due to lightening. No bike available. No swimming due to pool closure. What is a girl to do other than run around like a crazy person in the garage?!? Burpees, jumping jacks, shadow boxing, interrupted by rounds of push ups, planks, calf raises, and whatever else I could think of. Short, intense, and glorious!!!

Happy training everyone!!!

Better to bust hump in the garage than bust your in-laws a$$. My in laws are visiting as well and I feel your pain.

2015-12-23 9:40 PM

User image

Expert
Hi all:

It looks like just a handful of us remain - but I want to be ready when they pull the trigger and start the 2016 forums. So I rewrote my blurb and also created a blank posting for everyone else (Scott and Alan: if you still want to help out, please use mine). Let me know if there is anything I need to change or ways we could make it better.

The Beer Drinker Appreciation Society's Mission: Beer is a great motivator, and we use it to motivate and hold each other accountable. Work hard - drink whatever you want. Beer, Wine, Booze - it doesn't matter as long as it motivates you. Miss a workout - and you just earned a CLP (Coors Lite Penalty - best served warm This group is for everyone! There is a nice mix of experience here so newbies and vets will find the support they need to accomplish their goals.

NAME: David or DQ

STORY: In 2012, I weighed in at a portly 270 lb and decided enough was enough. I started out with a simple sprint and ended up capping off the year with a HIM. The exercise helped me to lose 95 pounds. More importantly, I feel in love with the sport of Triathlon and it's been a passion ever since. For me - it's all about staying happy and healthy.

FAMILY STATUS: I am blessed to be married to my smokin hot wife (Heidi) and during the last 16 years, we've had three kids 15, 13, and 6.

CURRENT TRAINING: Prone to injury, I’m struggling to overcome a shoulder impingement. While I haven’t been in the pool to swim in more than 2 months, I still run and bike 3x per week.

2014 RACES: It was a busy year. I did more than a half dozen sprints and OLYs and wrapped up the year with Challenge Maine HIM with Charles - a fellow BDAS member (chuckles).

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: My schedule is packed this year as I took my bonus and presents from my students to register for a race each month. In March, I’ll be running a Half Mary with John from the group and will also Bandit Boston in April. The highlight will be Ironman Maryland in October and am asking your now for your support.

BEER PREFERENCE: I will drink just about anything but my favorite styles are saison, gueuze, Gose, and other tasty sours. Perhaps my favorite beer on the planet is Two Hearted IPA by Bells. I also make beer and just brewed a mint stout that I'm hoping will motivate me heading into the new year. Stop by for a glass.

WEIGHT LOSS: In 2012, I lost 96 pounds to hit 170. Over the past two years, I've put back 40 pounds of it. Hoping to eat a better so I can toe the line at IMMD weighing less than 170.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: To be honest, I would not have been able to accomplish anything without the help of my awesome mentor (thanks DH) and fellow beer-loving mentees. I am so thankful, and I want to repay my debt by helping those who join this group to accomplish their goals. I promise to check the forum everyday and I will do my best to answer your questions and cheer you on throughout the 2016 tri season. As a group, we will use beer to help motivate us to get healthier and happier and to put us in a good position to accomplish our goals and kick a little butt along the way.

Just so you know, two group members, Scott and Alan (both Ironmen who did their first sprint after joining this group), will be helping me support you.

PROST!!!

NAME:

STORY:

FAMILY STATUS:

CURRENT TRAINING:

2014 RACES:

The Plan for 2016:

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE:

WEIGHT LOSS:

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER:

PROST!!!
2015-12-23 9:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
It's been a crazy week. My eldest had surgery to fix the GI problems that have been causing him pain for 2+ years. The operation went well but it got me off track exercise and eating-wise. My wife just bought me 10 new outfits that don't fit as motivation (she has lost 40+ pounds... I think that might have been a oh so subtle hint), so I plan on kicking it back into gear tomorrow morning with a run. Gonna be hard to eat well.... my in-laws are in town and my brother is staying with us. But I will try to record my food. Is anyone on My Fitness Pal? I need someone in the new year to bust my chops if I don't log every way.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Edited by Qua17 2015-12-23 9:50 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54089 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.