BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-01-24 12:07 PM
in reply to: Syndiethea

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Missed a run and swim this week...poor planning. However, I did not run yesterday but today I am terribly sore all over, WTH?

2015-01-24 2:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Well did stage 2 of the Tour of Sufferlandia today and not sure I can keep this up for 9 days and continue to swim and run. I guess I need to suck it up and make it happen and quit b*itching about it. This is absolutely brutal.....

Oh and got in 2100 yards before the stage 10/5 for the week and a run to finish it off in the morning.

Edited by Burd 2015-01-24 2:08 PM
2015-01-24 2:31 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Waited till the roads cleared today before doing anything (in other words I wanted to sleep in). I'm 5/5 this week now that I did a really crappy swim. I just didn't have it today. 800 meters 35 mins. Hopefully any aches and pains I have in my legs will be gone tomorrow since I have a long run planned. I'm lucky enough to have a trail that they plow during the winter near me, I'm hoping they clear the 6 inches off of the trail for tomorrows run or else I'll be treadmilling it.

2015-01-24 3:25 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Snewo

Waited till the roads cleared today before doing anything (in other words I wanted to sleep in). I'm 5/5 this week now that I did a really crappy swim. I just didn't have it today. 800 meters 35 mins. Hopefully any aches and pains I have in my legs will be gone tomorrow since I have a long run planned. I'm lucky enough to have a trail that they plow during the winter near me, I'm hoping they clear the 6 inches off of the trail for tomorrows run or else I'll be treadmilling it.

I'm going to start off by saying that I don't mean this statement to be condescending or mean - but 800m in 35 minutes - is that correct? That sort of time points to something wrong with the basics of the stroke. I know you mentioned that you swim with a group from time to time - you may want to ask for some help. Without seeing, I can't see what's up, but at that sort of pace, there's probably a fundamental flaw that's holding you back, and if you can correct that, you can probably lop 30 or 40 seconds/100 off your laps.
2015-01-24 3:30 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I am so fat . . .

I weighed in at 202.2 this morning, down from 206 on 1/10, which is solid progress given that I have been putzing around mostly.

Went for a run with some of the folks with Team RWB Chicago (some very cool people), and averaged 11:38 for about 4.4 miles averaging 165bpm, whereas in June or July I would have averaged 10:00 at 140bpm. Amazing what 25 extra pounds and 3 months of inactivity can do.

It's going to be a grind to get back to where I want to be, but it'll come. Nutrition is back on the wagon, and I'm getting back to something that resembles training. One step at a time.
2015-01-24 5:32 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon
I'm going to start off by saying that I don't mean this statement to be condescending or mean - but 800m in 35 minutes - is that correct? That sort of time points to something wrong with the basics of the stroke. I know you mentioned that you swim with a group from time to time - you may want to ask for some help. Without seeing, I can't see what's up, but at that sort of pace, there's probably a fundamental flaw that's holding you back, and if you can correct that, you can probably lop 30 or 40 seconds/100 off your laps.

No worries, I understand that we're all here to try to help or get help so let me clear some things up. I have a feeling that I'm not reporting it the way that you would. I'm completely new to Tri's so that's my excuse. How would you report the following:

I originally planned on doing a straight 800 no stopping. Today I didn't have the energy or just didn't feel it. After doing a few 100's I dropped back into intervals where I would do a 50 or a 100 at sprint pace and then take some time (maybe too much) to catch my breath before doing the next one. I'm reporting the time that I got in the pool to the time I got out. All resting time in the water is in my number. Normally I'm doing 800 in 25 minutes, but today wasn't that day. When doing intervals, do you normally just say the lengths you did and leave the time out? I'll just post the times on the full 800s or 1600s if that's more normal.

My thinking was that I should post the results of my workout without sugar coating it. I believe that it helps others to know that they are not alone in having just a horrible workout day sometimes.

From a swimming form point of view, I'm currently going after the low hanging fruit. I hopped in the water with the intention of swimming laps late last fall for the first time since high school swim team 28 years ago. There's no doubt that coaching of some sort would help almost anyone, but the biggest bang for my buck at the moment is to get my body back to swimming shape. That's why I'm here. I need you folks to give me the kick in the butt to go out there and work even when I don't want to, like today. Without the 5 workout challenge that I signed up for, I would have sat on the couch and not done a thing today. I'm convinced that even my bad workout moved me forward and that's what it's all about.

2015-01-24 9:06 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Syndiethea

Black Butte Porter...nuff said!
From Deschutes, one of my favs.
2015-01-24 9:08 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Burd

Well did stage 2 of the Tour of Sufferlandia today and not sure I can keep this up for 9 days and continue to swim and run. I guess I need to suck it up and make it happen and quit b*itching about it. This is absolutely brutal.....

Oh and got in 2100 yards before the stage 10/5 for the week and a run to finish it off in the morning.
Strong work.
2015-01-24 9:16 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by drfoodlove

4/5 (23/400)--1600 yd swim at lunch I feel really fast because I did the entire main set using swim fins and paddles due to time constraints.

I'm down for the 200 min challenge for next week! Just yesterday I scheduled two "fitness dates" with friends. Instead of going out for lunch, we are going to play racquetball or tennis (depending on the friend). I feel like I'm coming out of my shell in terms of being an "athlete". Instead of hiding the fact that I workout from folks, I'm talking about it. I used to be "afraid" (afraid isn't really the right word, but I'm not sure what is) that people would think I surly couldn't be working out because I'm large. I recently realized I don't really care what people say/think about me working out. Not sure why it too so long to reach this conclusion about working out, it has been my attitude about nearly everything else for ages!

Off to donate blood this afternoon. Hoping my wife will accept that as a good reason to avoid fixing that shelf tonight!

Happy Training Everyone!!
You have a great attitude.
2015-01-24 9:19 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Wife and I killed it yesterday. We lifted weights and then did 30 minutes on the stairmill. The stairmill is brutally amazing. I'd highly recommend to anyone who has any kind of lower body injury that keeps you from running.
2015-01-24 9:48 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cynthia I love that Dr. Seuss quote! I also ended up sore. Sometimes I find taking a day off doesn't flush the lactic acid and makes it worse. I had a great run Thursday, felt great after. Then I woke up Friday crazy sore.

I ended up being kind to myself and getting a massage after a day of skiing. The left side of my back and my left foot kept cramping. I might get a warm colors penalty, but the massage was worth it!

2015-01-24 9:51 PM
in reply to: #5086815

User image

Extreme Veteran
Snewo I measure my swim time the same way. Time in to time out. Sometimes it includes chatting too. There is a huge difference between my training time and race time. I usually average right around 1:30s/100 for a race and training is usually at or above 2:00/100.
2015-01-24 9:54 PM
in reply to: #5086816

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kevin, I'm curious about what a stair mill is! Sounds like a great workout with your wife. Do you guys work out together a lot? I love getting out with my husband. Today we had a blast skiing while DD was in ski school.
2015-01-24 9:56 PM
in reply to: #5086817

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alex- sounds like you are pounding out some hard workouts! I bet you can make it through the tour!
2015-01-24 10:29 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Made it in for a ride on the stationary bike followed by 15 minutes on the treadmill. Not great but done. I only missed a swim this week but will hit it next week with better planning.

Kevin, you have been holding out on me, this is a heat beer! Oh and great training session with your wife! You two are awesome.

2015-01-24 10:34 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Snewo I measure my swim time the same way. Time in to time out. Sometimes it includes chatting too. There is a huge difference between my training time and race time. I usually average right around 1:30s/100 for a race and training is usually at or above 2:00/100.

I measure my swim in the same manner. Knowing that keeps me moving and not resting as much. Trying to be more focused and knowing my planned training will make a big difference. Do you have a plan you are following for your swim? Are you ready for a plan? Good on you for continuing to get your feet wet!

2015-01-24 11:12 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Syndiethea
I measure my swim in the same manner. Knowing that keeps me moving and not resting as much. Trying to be more focused and knowing my planned training will make a big difference. Do you have a plan you are following for your swim? Are you ready for a plan? Good on you for continuing to get your feet wet!

I wasn't sure if you were talking to me or moonrocket, so if you meant me....here's my personal training plan.

Step 1: From now through April 25th continue to do basic bike and swim workouts. Wake up those muscles and make sure that I'm able to do a good distance in each discipline without any issues.
Step 2: Compete in my April 26th Half Marathon beating my personal best.
Step 3: Begin to train for the August 9th Triathlon. This is when I need a training plan. I will modify it though since it makes more sense to me that I should focus on my weak disciplines and just keep my running at the same level I've already attained by the Half.

I will let me body, training, and mentor group help me determine whether I'm going to compete in the Sprint or Oly.

-Snewo
2015-01-24 11:13 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Snewo

No worries, I understand that we're all here to try to help or get help so let me clear some things up. I have a feeling that I'm not reporting it the way that you would. I'm completely new to Tri's so that's my excuse. How would you report the following:

I originally planned on doing a straight 800 no stopping. Today I didn't have the energy or just didn't feel it. After doing a few 100's I dropped back into intervals where I would do a 50 or a 100 at sprint pace and then take some time (maybe too much) to catch my breath before doing the next one. I'm reporting the time that I got in the pool to the time I got out. All resting time in the water is in my number. Normally I'm doing 800 in 25 minutes, but today wasn't that day. When doing intervals, do you normally just say the lengths you did and leave the time out? I'll just post the times on the full 800s or 1600s if that's more normal.

My thinking was that I should post the results of my workout without sugar coating it. I believe that it helps others to know that they are not alone in having just a horrible workout day sometimes.

From a swimming form point of view, I'm currently going after the low hanging fruit. I hopped in the water with the intention of swimming laps late last fall for the first time since high school swim team 28 years ago. There's no doubt that coaching of some sort would help almost anyone, but the biggest bang for my buck at the moment is to get my body back to swimming shape. That's why I'm here. I need you folks to give me the kick in the butt to go out there and work even when I don't want to, like today. Without the 5 workout challenge that I signed up for, I would have sat on the couch and not done a thing today. I'm convinced that even my bad workout moved me forward and that's what it's all about.

You are reporting it the way I would, or rather, the way I would to be honest with folks. I am, on a good day, a fair-to-middling swimmer; I swam a 1:31 at IMWI, which works out to a 2:09/100 pace, but that's in a wetsuit and getting sucked along by 3,000 other people in the water.

Here's a recent workout: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/677778102 . 1,500 yards, 42:21 time, 2:36/100 average pace. It breaks down to something like 300 w/u, 400 pull focus, 600 "me screwing around with flip turns and nose plugs", and 200 cooldown fr/bk/fr/br x2. My "butterfly" is a joke and my kick is worse. I didn't have any toys with me, so it was all just me in the water.

Two of the best tools you can invest in are a pull buoy and a set of paddles. Pull sets are phenomenal in that they let you focus on the pull and also breathing, without worrying about your kick, and they take your legs (and the massive oxygen draw those muscles take) out of the equation, as well as pull your hips out of the water for a better streamline. Others may disagree with me, but I would suggest that maybe you should be doing half your workout with a pull buoy right now.

Paddles are great for two reasons. The first is to scull. Sculling is slow and frustrating but, more than any other workout, will let you get a "feel for the water." "Feel" isn't something mystical - it's just making the stroke automatic and natural - keeping the hand straight, solid wrist, forearm all acting together as one paddle, an early catch with a high elbow, etc. Scull 50 with paddles, then 50 without, and see how the water feels. Paddles can also make your freestyle a lot stronger, but my opinion is that time in the gym lifting weights is better than paddle work for strength.

More than anything else, swimming is a skill sport - you don't swim harder, you swim better. When I was swimming with a master's group, guys 40 pounds heavier and 20 years older were just destroying me in the water - guys who I would run to death and just eat for lunch on the bike - but in the water, due to 10 or 20 years of regular swimming, they would crush me - on the board I would see stuff like 10x100/1:40, when my PR for a 100 is 1:57, and that just about killed me. Swimming is like golf - Tiger Woods (or whatever golfer - I don't pay attention to golf) doesn't hit the ball harder, he hits it better. That's swimming.

Oh, and screw kick sets. Spend six months stretching your ankles by sitting on top of your feet every day, then think about kicking. Kick on distance swimming is for balance and rhythm, and probably counts for 10% or less of propulsion.

Hope that helps.
2015-01-24 11:19 PM

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
My reward for a hard working week!

(IMG_0103.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0103.jpg (1097KB - 3 downloads)
2015-01-25 10:08 AM
in reply to: #5086818

User image

Extreme Veteran
I love pull bout and paddles! That said I would not suggest starting using paddles if you do not have a coach to guide you or a background with them. They are a wonderful tool if used correctly - but you can do a job on your shoulders if your stroke is off.

One of my favorite drills to get a feel of your stroke is swimming with your hands in fists. It lets you know quickly if you are relying on your hands too much. Fore arms and biceps have a lot more surface area than hands- you should still make decent progress with fists. Doing it with a pull bouy is best as you can focus on your arms without worrying about your legs!
2015-01-25 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

I am so fat . . .

I weighed in at 202.2 this morning, down from 206 on 1/10, which is solid progress given that I have been putzing around mostly.

Went for a run with some of the folks with Team RWB Chicago (some very cool people), and averaged 11:38 for about 4.4 miles averaging 165bpm, whereas in June or July I would have averaged 10:00 at 140bpm. Amazing what 25 extra pounds and 3 months of inactivity can do.

It's going to be a grind to get back to where I want to be, but it'll come. Nutrition is back on the wagon, and I'm getting back to something that resembles training. One step at a time.

Just as long as you keep grinding it will pay off.

2015-01-25 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

I am so fat . . .

We are all fat charles, great job on the drop though, if the scale is winding down, it is a good thing!

That run is good man, I would love to be at that, I havent run in months and I am actually dreading it, I actually have enough weight now that I think I am going to injure myself with any serious running, Sticking to the elliptical bowflex max stepper thingy we have at work, and pick up hockey until I can drop 10-20lbs and start pounding the pavement again when it warms up.
2015-01-25 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

More than anything else, swimming is a skill sport - you don't swim harder, you swim better. When I was swimming with a master's group, guys 40 pounds heavier and 20 years older were just destroying me in the water - guys who I would run to death and just eat for lunch on the bike - but in the water, due to 10 or 20 years of regular swimming, they would crush me - on the board I would see stuff like 10x100/1:40, when my PR for a 100 is 1:57, and that just about killed me. Swimming is like golf - Tiger Woods (or whatever golfer - I don't pay attention to golf) doesn't hit the ball harder, he hits it better. That's swimming.

Oh, and screw kick sets. Spend six months stretching your ankles by sitting on top of your feet every day, then think about kicking. Kick on distance swimming is for balance and rhythm, and probably counts for 10% or less of propulsion.

Hope that helps.

What Charles is saying here really rings true, Good info to heed,

Dave You said you were on the swim team 28 years ago so I think you still have that in you, that muscle memory is going to come back. Keep at it!

I find a good workout I do a lot is what I call a ladder set.

1 length fast, 1 slow
2 length fast, 2 slow
3 ..... etc

At first you wont feel much of a difference between your fast and your slow, but that really helps me put in some long sets (1000m+) without the boring repetition of counting strait laps.

I find 2 swims a week will maintain for me, 3 times and I see constant improvement in times and added distance.
2015-01-25 12:02 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Who hates moving?!!? whats worse than moving yourself??? helping an unorganized friend move!!!!

Thats where I am at folks, stiff and sore from helping a buddy move in -20 degree celcius before the windchill. I did get a workout in at work so it was a good day for physical activity. I am not at 5/5 this week but If I get some pick-up hockey in tonight Ill be 4/5.

hows everyone elses weekend going?
2015-01-25 12:04 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Expert
Just checking in...

With today's bike ride - I was 7 for 7 for the week and 20 for 20 for the 21 day challenge. I should wrap that up tomorrow with a swim in the AM and then I'm hoping to keep the streak alive until my PT/message visit in Friday. I feel better than I did three weeks ago - that's for damn sure! Not only do I have a hunger for exercise (rather than for milk duds and ice cream) but I'm actually starting to enjoy working out again!

As for weight loss, I weighed in and discovered I was under 220. More importantly, I was able to fit into a pair of pants that have been hanging in my closet of shame. One garment down - 39 to go.

Thanks for the support everyone - it's helping.

Have a great week.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54259 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.