BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-03-02 11:47 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Cranked out a nice 2200yd swim today at lunch time (included 30X50, which just makes it a miracle that I even counted correctly!). That makes 74/400 counting Saturday's tri as one workout and the post-tri workout as one.

Welcome to all our new members. BDAS is great, and like all other things, you certainly get out of it what you put into it!

I'm back around to trying to eat mindfully after a weekend of BBQ, bourbon, Girl Scout cookies, and jelly beans (lots of jelly beans). That is my goal for the week, just to track everything I eat.

I leave for Egypt in three weeks and two days--panic mode initialized! I have so much to do, including setting up a run plan and other workout plan for the time that I'm there. Somehow it seemed farther away when we were still in February. Why couldn't it be a leap year!?!?!?

2015-03-02 11:50 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

DeLand, Florida
Challenge for the day complete. Signed up for MyFitnessPal, I'm firebert_john. I want to add people but I can't for the life of me find the post(s)where everyone had their usernames.
2015-03-02 12:21 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

My MFP username is adempsey10. 

2015-03-02 3:55 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Welcome to all the new faces!

I'm definitely in for the March weight loss challenge. Been eating WAY too much sugar lately and I know that I can only drink beer OR eat sugar, not both, without weight gain. And I have my priorities (beer). :-)

Goals....I've got to say it's killing me not to have concrete ones. I SO prefer to be able to say "I'm going to run/bike/swim X miles/times this week". This "gee, not sure if I overdid it or not" thing sucks. I see the surgeon again tomorrow and I'm really hoping he tells me there's no reason not to kick it into high gear. Unfortunately he has yet to do that....usually he looks at me when I propose something and says "Uh, NO.". I'm not so good at No.

With that said, I have been running 2 miles now for a week and just got a referral to PT. The running seems to be going well. I'm really starting to crave getting on the bike (weather here in the PNW is getting nice enough for it), but am VERY leery of doing much before having a good solid balance assessment and starting PT (I've requested to start PT to focus on safely returning to a very high level of activity....mostly looking at balance and strength training). The last thing I need is to take a tumble on a bike. But did I say I'm not so good at taking things slow? ARGH!!!!

Sandi
2015-03-02 4:08 PM
in reply to: jeverett724

User image

Originally posted by jeverett724

Hey everyone! I'm new to the group. I'm a rower turned runner. I've done 4 half marathons and I'm looking to get into triathlons. I'm a good swimmer and biker who just needs a training regimen.

A few questions!

1. When you first started training for triathlons, what tools really worked for you?

2. How much do you recommend investing in gear for the first time around? My bike isn't exactly new or fancy.

3. What's your favorite training plan/guide?

Re: beer - My roommate and I discovered we love beer during our junior year of college and we have an annual holiday celebrating that revelation. I love saisons and sours and I'm on a red ale kick lately. I'm saving up for a kegerator so I don't have to leave my apartment to have a good beer on tap.

Looking forward to participating!
Jana

Hi Jana,

This is only my second year at it but it always does help to know what other newbies have done. Like you I was pretty active...knew I could swim/run/bike the distances, just hadn't done it all together before! I think I downloaded some of the 12 week programs, but I didn't stick to them too religiously. I ran 3-4 days a week, biked 3 days a week (and increased focus on that over time as it was my weak spot), and swam whenever I could, usually a couple of days a week and then I increased my swimming in open water to 3-5 days a week once summer hit. I only did sprints, so really didn't have a ton of conditioning UP to do (in terms of needing to get my body doing lots of more of what it already knew how to do)...just honing the conditioning I had and then accustoming my body to transitioning to different sports in the same workout. So some of this probably depends on the distances you're planning on racing.

I invested in a fair amount of gear but honestly I don't think you should if you don't want to and it definitely isn't necessary. I bought a wetsuit because my first tri was in a COLD lake and I needed one...and I bought a very good one...but I also knew I'd likely be doing a lot of swimming as I got older and having that investment would make it easier (I've tried to do several open water swimming events that I'd chickened out on because I didn't have gear....no more of that!). My bike is/was a hybrid, which is ridiculously slow and heavy for tri-training, but buying a new bike seemed silly my first year. I was planning on putting money into a bike this year. I think it only matters if it's critical to you to do very well in times, place in age groups, etc....and even then, you might see how much you enjoy the sport and training first. Even with my hybrid I still managed a couple of age group placements (though they were at small events without very strong competition). And despite my plan of getting a new bike I'm actually not now sure that I will this year as I'm comfortable on the hybrid and it may be more practical for me this year to focus on finishing and doing so safely than quickly. So I'd start training and go from there. I do think that tri clothing is important...a good pair of shorts for sure....being able to comfortably transition from the water to bike is necessary IMO.

Kegerator....envy. :-)

Sandi
2015-03-02 5:32 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

So I notice that a lot of people are using MFP to track their calories and what not. I've never used it before so I thought I'd give it a shot. A few things I noticed first off:

1) The fat, carb, protein values seem to be based on the RDVs. This probably doesn't apply if you're just starting out but if you are ramping up training or will be soon, consider that your carb, protein and fat intake should fluctuate with your training. If you're in the base period doing long moderate intensity rides, increase fat and decrease carbs a little (maintaining a balance). If you do HIIT or are in the build phase, decrease fat and increase carbs. 

2) If you're using it for weight loss and plan on training at the same time, be mindful that up to 50% of your total weight loss will come from muscle. Losing weight can decrease performance as a result. If you double your RDV for protein (but keep the cals and everything else in the proper range) you can significantly reduce muscle loss. (this is true even if you are not training but don't want to see a decrease in muscle mass). This is really important if you're a sprint tri person. You need all those type II muscle fibres intact on race day. 

I know everyone isn't as competitive and anal with their training as I am but something to think about as the sport takes greater hold of your life. :P

Also, forgive me if anything I've said has been covered earlier in the thread. 

2015-03-02 5:42 PM

User image

For everyone having motivation issues... Have you heard about Zwift? It's interactive training software that basically turns trainer rides into a video game. It's still in beta but you can request an invite. They just started Mac testing so there's a good chance if you have a Mac you'll get in. (PC testing started awhile back if you have one of those things). If people get onto it, let me know. We can organize 'group' rides on Zwift Island. 

http://www.zwift.com

2015-03-02 7:11 PM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17

Pardon me for being selfish for a moment.... Thanks everyone for the response - but the thing is - I haven't found my mojo (sorry - I don't mean to correct you Kate - but I'm just so POed) . I got excited today and while that's good, I still haven't discovered anything that will help me sustain the momentum. Prior to the IM, I went almost 14 months and missed about 10 workouts. I would KILL to have that drive back. So, I'm grasping at straws - a few have been longer than others (challenges from friends and battling the elements have gotten me excited but I haven't found whatever it is that I need to find to get me back on track. And I so want to be back on track.

Do you think that just signing up for events would do it? FORCE you to get back on the wagon? (sorry, I might have missed that somewhere). it's what worked for me....once you're in & committed...I feel like even if an injury is an issue you're working through, you can probably always power walk the run...but if you wait to be ready you may not be motivated to get there. I honestly doubt I'd have done my first tri if I hadn't sent in the $90 four months in advance. :-) And while you're motivated for the distance...hey....what's wrong with doing an Olympic in...say..June/July?

It FEELS to me like all of us spend so much energy training, that when the off season hits it is super easy to really, really let things go, because there's nothing to train FOR. I mean...once you've done an IM...how exciting is it to shell out $30 for a community 5K? (which is pretty much all that's offered, LOL) Plus off season is always coupled with cold/flu season...it's just easy to get off our game. So you've got to put yourself in the game. Literally.

I don't know. I'm super frustrated right now because I really shouldn't/can't make a solid commitment to a race for another month or two, but realistically it's what I know I've got to do in order to kick up the pace and the effort to a tri training level. Today I made a list of what I'll enter this year. Maybe you could do the same?

Sandi
2015-03-02 8:34 PM
in reply to: #5075170

Hi guys! Can someone bump the March challenges? I want to partake in one or more of them to help me get back on track. I've been doing a little yoga (I have an app that I use), and need to get my training back on track.
2015-03-03 12:16 AM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by chayes

Sorry that's so huge ^^ LOL

Look at you running in snow with a pleasant face....always one of my goals! Good job Christine
2015-03-03 12:47 AM

User image

NAME: Rose

STORY: I've sat on the sidelines volunteering for triathlons for many years and envied the athletes. Last winter I was discouraged with the direction my fitness goals were going and decided I needed a lofty goal to get my a$$ in gear. I perused Active,com and came across a local triathlon scheduled nearly 6 months out figuring I would have plenty of time for an Olympic distance race at the end of March. Oh how I didn't know what I didn't know! So here I sit several hundred dollars poorer after registering and buying a road bike thinking "what the hell am I doing?". I "run" at a snail's pace and practically dog paddle in the water. Today was the first day I set out on my new/used road bike (in my defense I have been hitting spin classes like a mad woman) and proceeded to fall over at a stop sign. I could not unclip in a timely manner and discovered the wisdom of wearing gloves.....I was not and crushed my hand pretty well :/ Sooooo, I'm questioning how well this first event will go, but I'm not going to throw in the towel. My plan is to just complete the distance and come up with a better training plan.....okay, come up with any training plan!

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two very awesome teenage sons.

CURRENT TRAINING: All over the map with circuit training, jogging, spin classes, varied cardio and some P90x.We won't discuss swimming right now. I think ADD is my middle name!

BEER PREFERENCE: Mostly wheat beers and an occasional porter.

2015-03-03 7:24 AM
in reply to: RosieRose

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by RosieRose

STORY: I've sat on the sidelines volunteering for triathlons for many years and envied the athletes. Last winter I was discouraged with the direction my fitness goals were going and decided I needed a lofty goal to get my a$$ in gear. I perused Active,com and came across a local triathlon scheduled nearly 6 months out figuring I would have plenty of time for an Olympic distance race at the end of March. Oh how I didn't know what I didn't know! So here I sit several hundred dollars poorer after registering and buying a road bike thinking "what the hell am I doing?". I "run" at a snail's pace and practically dog paddle in the water. Today was the first day I set out on my new/used road bike (in my defense I have been hitting spin classes like a mad woman) and proceeded to fall over at a stop sign. I could not unclip in a timely manner and discovered the wisdom of wearing gloves.....I was not and crushed my hand pretty well :/ Sooooo, I'm questioning how well this first event will go, but I'm not going to throw in the towel. My plan is to just complete the distance and come up with a better training plan.....okay, come up with any training plan!

CURRENT TRAINING: All over the map with circuit training, jogging, spin classes, varied cardio and some P90x.We won't discuss swimming right now. I think ADD is my middle name!

Can you swim 1500 meters now? However slow, it doesn't matter... but the swim is what's standing between you and completing an Olympic tri.
Almost everyone falls over their first time on clipless pedals- don't feel bad about it! It takes time to get used to them. It probably took me 2 weeks until it was second nature, and even after that I still had occasional brain farts when I'd almost forget.
Ride outside as much as you can. Getting used to shifting, terrain, bike handling, all take time. And try to do at least one ride of 25 miles- preferably in the next few weeks in case you need some recovery time.
Good luck!
2015-03-03 8:10 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Happy Tuesday!

Got in spin class this morning (76/400) with a substitute instructor. I think I may like her better than our normal instructor. The rec center (student gym at my uni) just instituted online sign up for spin classes. I guess people were getting grumpy that they'd show up for class and all the bikes would be taken already. I hate it--mostly because I usually forget to sign up the day before (starts at noon the day before a morning class). Today I was on the wait list for a totally full class, but when I got there six bikes were empty (out of 21). That means at least seven people signed up for the class and then didn't attend without dropping off the signup. That is 33% of the class! I got a bike, needless to say, but I'm irritated by the rudeness of that. Sorry, I'm venting to people I think will understand. Bad night's sleep and only 1/2 cup of coffee this morning makes me a grumpy Gus.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
2015-03-03 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Geez, I have to eat more meat....I guess so! (yeah I know there is protein to be had other than meat but...)

Great information Alan!

I will add that you should also double check values for both fitness and food. I tried putting in two different apples(same variety) and they came out at 36 and 80 calories...not much but I adds up.

Originally posted by adempsey10

So I notice that a lot of people are using MFP to track their calories and what not. I've never used it before so I thought I'd give it a shot. A few things I noticed first off:

1) The fat, carb, protein values seem to be based on the RDVs. This probably doesn't apply if you're just starting out but if you are ramping up training or will be soon, consider that your carb, protein and fat intake should fluctuate with your training. If you're in the base period doing long moderate intensity rides, increase fat and decrease carbs a little (maintaining a balance). If you do HIIT or are in the build phase, decrease fat and increase carbs. 

2) If you're using it for weight loss and plan on training at the same time, be mindful that up to 50% of your total weight loss will come from muscle. Losing weight can decrease performance as a result. If you double your RDV for protein (but keep the cals and everything else in the proper range) you can significantly reduce muscle loss. (this is true even if you are not training but don't want to see a decrease in muscle mass). This is really important if you're a sprint tri person. You need all those type II muscle fibres intact on race day. 

I know everyone isn't as competitive and anal with their training as I am but something to think about as the sport takes greater hold of your life. :P

Also, forgive me if anything I've said has been covered earlier in the thread. 

2015-03-03 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Signed up..here is hoping I get in with my MAC! Looks pretty cool.

How long does it take for them to decide?

Originally posted by adempsey10

For everyone having motivation issues... Have you heard about Zwift? It's interactive training software that basically turns trainer rides into a video game. It's still in beta but you can request an invite. They just started Mac testing so there's a good chance if you have a Mac you'll get in. (PC testing started awhile back if you have one of those things). If people get onto it, let me know. We can organize 'group' rides on Zwift Island. 

http://www.zwift.com

2015-03-03 8:22 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Happy Tuesday!

Got in spin class this morning (76/400) with a substitute instructor. I think I may like her better than our normal instructor. The rec center (student gym at my uni) just instituted online sign up for spin classes. I guess people were getting grumpy that they'd show up for class and all the bikes would be taken already. I hate it--mostly because I usually forget to sign up the day before (starts at noon the day before a morning class). Today I was on the wait list for a totally full class, but when I got there six bikes were empty (out of 21). That means at least seven people signed up for the class and then didn't attend without dropping off the signup. That is 33% of the class! I got a bike, needless to say, but I'm irritated by the rudeness of that. Sorry, I'm venting to people I think will understand. Bad night's sleep and only 1/2 cup of coffee this morning makes me a grumpy Gus.

I hear you on that frustration. My gym finally invested in this program (motionvibe) where you can sign up for classes starting at 5am for morning classes and 1pm for afternoon classes. You do this online, but in order to hold your spot, you have to get there 10 minutes before the class and check in. If you don't, people from the wait list are automatically moved into those spots (as long as they have already checked in). People hated it at first (I work at the gym, so I got to hear all the wonderful feedback...people hate change), but now it is just the way it is and they deal with it.

2015-03-03 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by RosieRose NAME: Rose STORY: I've sat on the sidelines volunteering for triathlons for many years and envied the athletes. Last winter I was discouraged with the direction my fitness goals were going and decided I needed a lofty goal to get my a$$ in gear. I perused Active,com and came across a local triathlon scheduled nearly 6 months out figuring I would have plenty of time for an Olympic distance race at the end of March. Oh how I didn't know what I didn't know! So here I sit several hundred dollars poorer after registering and buying a road bike thinking "what the hell am I doing?". I "run" at a snail's pace and practically dog paddle in the water. Today was the first day I set out on my new/used road bike (in my defense I have been hitting spin classes like a mad woman) and proceeded to fall over at a stop sign. I could not unclip in a timely manner and discovered the wisdom of wearing gloves.....I was not and crushed my hand pretty well :/ Sooooo, I'm questioning how well this first event will go, but I'm not going to throw in the towel. My plan is to just complete the distance and come up with a better training plan.....okay, come up with any training plan! FAMILY STATUS: Married with two very awesome teenage sons. CURRENT TRAINING: All over the map with circuit training, jogging, spin classes, varied cardio and some P90x.We won't discuss swimming right now. I think ADD is my middle name! BEER PREFERENCE: Mostly wheat beers and an occasional porter.

First off, great to have you aboard Rose! Second don't feel bad about falling. I am sure we have all done it...I am usually good for falling once per year.

As for your race...is it just an oly or do they have a sprint as well? You may want to try switch if you don't feel ready.

If you cannot then don't fret. The only race is against yourself. Enjoy the experience and learn from it.

If you have any questions, just ask, there are a ton of knowledgeable people on this forum!

Cheers!

2015-03-03 8:37 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Rose - it sounds like you are well on your way for your Oly! Christina is right on everyone having trouble with clipless. My wife spent a bunch of time in the yard clipping in and out (so you fall on the grass) then some time on bike paths so at least there's no car traffic. I'll do the same this spring - this is only my 2nd season with a roadie, and it still has flat pedals on it!

One way to practice (although usually with the wrong cleats...) is those spin classes you're taking - most spin bikes have double sided pedals with the toe cage on one side and the SPD clips on the other. I've got my shoes set up with SPD cleats for the winter for spin classes and the exercise bikes, and then when I get brave enough (and we get rid of all of our snow!!!) I'll switch them over for the Keo cleats for my road bike. Sounds like I need to invest in some gloves!
2015-03-03 8:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Thank you Christina and Thor! I'm so excited to have a forum to chat and brainstorm with others (and not apologize for an occasional brew LOL!). Christina, I will hit the swimming hard over the next three weeks and I'm sure I can do the 1500m.....may not be very pretty, but I'll survive. As for the option of a sprint distance, it's an Oly only so I'll just have to suck it up and complete the event. Not like cramming for a test in school now is it?!? John, I think I may just practice some in spin....it's a pain to switch out cleats, but will likely save me some future embarrassment. Really what I need to do is just get on the road more and not over-think every action......time to leave the security of the gym and pool and get at it! Thank you all for having me here....I really appreciate it!

Edited by RosieRose 2015-03-03 8:50 AM
2015-03-03 8:50 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida
Workout updates - Had my swim class last night, the instructor told me what I was thinking already - I don't need a swim class, I need more time in the pool to build up endurance. I told him it was good for me to have the eyes on the things I keep forgetting - slow down, rotate hips, head down, breathe in without pulling your entire head out of the water... Plus it's really good for me to learn other strokes, you know the recovery kind (breast, side, back...). BTW made awesome use of the breast stroke last night to recover inbetween sets of freestyle, and for cooldown.

Also I got days 1 and 2 of the plank challenge (the 2nd one from 30dayfitnesschallenges.com) done last night.

Advice - We started a peer rewards system at work, and as it turns out I am very appreciated by my co-workers and am now $150 richer. I feel like this should go straight into multi-sport. What can I do with $150? I just got new running shoes so that's out. My first thought was race fees - I have a few planned races for the year that are budgeted for, and plenty more I want to do. $150 buys me a couple sprints or a sprint and an HM or even a sprint and a couple more 10ks. But there's also gear...
2015-03-03 8:59 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Being sick SUCKS!!!!

I've been fighting an upper respiratory infection for the last 2 weeks. I finally started to feel like I could exert myself without coughing to the point of drowning, falling off my bike, or breaking a rib so I went on our weekly Monday night group ride last night. It went pretty well, so hopefully this will be the start of another good training streak. I also wrapped up my 7 week grad school class, so I've got another 8 to procrastinate before all the work for my next class is due.

The shirts are looking great.

2015-03-03 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Cranked out a nice 2200yd swim today at lunch time (included 30X50, which just makes it a miracle that I even counted correctly!). That makes 74/400 counting Saturday's tri as one workout and the post-tri workout as one.

Nice Workout!!!

I find if you set your interval for 50s right it can make the timing a lot easier. I like :55 second 50s or :50 50s since based on where you are on the clock you can back out how many you did. I'll often do sets of 12 50s on :55 since you know all you have to do is get around the clock.
2015-03-03 9:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by RosieRose

You are one ahead of me on my first tri. I ordered a road bike from the internet because I had a coupon (it miraculously fits great and I still have it). It arrived about 2 days before my race and the second time I ever rode it (or any road bike) was at the race (after lots of mountain biking) There was one sketchy corner we had to do 3X- and every time I went around it I screamed Oh my god oh my god oh my god and the paramedics got this look of fear in their faces.

I actually lived, but practice was the key!

Good on you for getting out there early- you will get the hang of it! I hope your hand heals up quick.
2015-03-03 9:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Happy Tuesday!

So, I can hardly complain that my work has spin classes on site which rock! We have a towel system- you reserve your bike with one of those small towels some races give you. I need to ask how far in advance people start- but I find if you put a towel on 16 minutes in advance you are usually good- that's a little too long to just change- but luckily my cube is nearby so I can just go put one on. I can see if everyone was not in the building this not being an optimal system- but it's what we use- informally.
2015-03-03 9:55 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Extreme Veteran
I got in my long Bike on Sunday before leaving for my trip and busted out my long (these are all relative terms ) run last night. I am loving all of this oxygen at sea level (in CA) I am definitely going to try and get my second run in before I head home.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54086 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.