BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-03-03 6:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by thor67

Nice! Where in CA are you? A lot of good west coast IPA's you should be training with(strictly for carbs)!!

Originally posted by Moonrocket I got in my long Bike on Sunday before leaving for my trip and busted out my long (these are all relative terms ) run last night. I am loving all of this oxygen at sea level (in CA) I am definitely going to try and get my second run in before I head home.

Thor - Come on man - it's california and there are a lot of fruit beers Kate could enjoy as well! Pyramid had a killer blueberry as I remember it. Would be tasty after a run in all that heat!

I'm in Cupertino. I promise to have a beer for the BDASs tonight and tomorrow.

Last night I was running on fumes and really wanted to get a workout in after working late so I did my run and had a front desk chocolate chip cookie and apple for dinner along with a bag of peanuts from the plane.

BTW- I started a new book called Running with the Buffalos - about the national championship CU Buffalos cross country team. I'm finding it pretty motivating- I was in grad school at CU the year it based on- so I picked it up curious to see what their experience was. I'm three chapters in and looking forward to some quiet reading time tonight (perfect mom business trip- take out, a quick workout and few hours of reading quietly

Edited by Moonrocket 2015-03-03 6:52 PM

2015-03-03 7:03 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

, Vermont
Okay!! 1 hour on the trainer done - zone 3. My butt is still hurting so in a week or so I'm headed in to try another seat.
plank challenge, day 3 done!
squat challenge, day 3 done!

For anyone interested in the squat challenge, the link to the one I'm doing is below.

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Printable-Squat-Challenge-31141646?...

now to go back and read up on the awesomeness that everyone is doing!!
2015-03-03 8:31 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Crappy weekend.
Wife had a patient with a bad outcome. Super sad. At the same time, her dad was in the hospital (the same one) with stomach pain. He just had his gall bladder out a week ago. Not sure what the cause of the pain was. He's home now.

Needless to say, my workouts took a back seat. Made up for it today.

Glad to see everyone (even DQ) getting after it! Snowshoeing is a blast. Especially if you can get out alone in the quiet of the snow blanketed woods. Tranquility!!!!
2015-03-03 8:56 PM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Alex, you ever heard of the "snowshoeing" thing they are talking about?
2015-03-03 9:55 PM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by cwpeters

Lol no joke I wore my tri top on my ride yesterday and got a bit too much sun on the shoulders.
2015-03-03 10:39 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Check-in: 3/? Did 800 meter swim yesterday; 14.5 stationary bike and 3.7 run brick today. Did my challenge planks. I think I'm going to have trouble with this challenge. My core is more jello than sixpack.

Shirt Update: Jakroo is converting our designs over to their team store format. In a few days we should be able to find the designs in our own store. They are also going to propagate our designs onto other items...I thought that might be fun. The prices are going to be based on how many of each item we are going to buy. Once the site is up and running, I suggest we hold back on our enthusiasm and let's get a count of the shirts we want, so we can get the best price. I'll let you know the team store info once I have it. Here are the prices for those interested: http://www.jakroo.com/pricing/
They are also going to give the graphics a once over to make sure that everything looks good and there is no pixelation.

Weather: I'm ready for the sun. This nuisance snow/ice/sleet stinks. Glad the planets aligned to get me to the YMCA through the sleet, since now another snowstorm is probably going to get in the way on Thursday. That being said, I've never seen a snowshoe up close and personal. I guess I'm more in Yaktrax territory.

Hey New Folks: Don't get intimidated by the morning BDAS people that wake up way before the butt crack of dawn to work out. There are those of us from team "Night Owl" in here too. It really doesn't matter when you get your workout in...just make it part of your routine and the results will follow.

2015-03-03 10:58 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by Burd

Lol no joke I wore my tri top on my ride yesterday and got a bit too much sun on the shoulders.

We tied a record high today at 85. (no pictures this time DQ)

Made it to the pool for 1700 yds. then Beer Yoga outside under the oak tree in the beer garden followed by a pint of Roll Cage Red and a growler of Whiskey Smoke for motivation during the week.

Tomorrow is a bike time trial to set a benchmark for the upcoming HIM plan.
2015-03-03 11:14 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Thank you Dave O for sticking up for us night owls. Some people set a 4 am alarm to get up, others to remind them to go to bed.

Since DQ has banned me from posting pictures of beautiful Florida scenery, I thought I'd share a funny shot from last year around Easter time. My family from Minnesota found my cycling jersey tan line somewhat hilarious.

Edited by cwpeters 2015-03-03 11:16 PM

(sun burn.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
sun burn.jpg (168KB - 4 downloads)
2015-03-04 7:28 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

DeLand, Florida
Place me squarely in the night owl camp. The earliest workout I do is our weekly Personal Trainer appt at 8:30 on Saturday morning. And it's a struggle.
2015-03-04 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Burd
Originally posted by cwpeters Alex, you ever heard of the "snowshoeing" thing they are talking about?
With windchill it is currently -21F. No worries about sunburn here...on the bright side the weather is going to be great for the rest of the week!! Dare I say spring is around the corner?

2015-03-04 8:12 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well first off I am a morning person, well other than this morning...

Was accepted on to Zwift!! yeah! it looks pretty neat. Going to set it up this weekend.

Anybody else try and get in on it other than Alan?

2015-03-04 8:14 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I was accepted as well!
2015-03-04 8:19 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Actually I lied, I misread the email in my wine haze last night. I have not been invited to Zwift yet :-)
2015-03-04 12:44 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Seriously! Quite the inspiration - go, Gretchen!

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Originally posted by jeverett724

Hey Gretchen! First, thanks for your reply to my initial posting - made me feel welcome and ready to go

Question about the notation you use - 76/400? I've seen it a couple times and wondering if you could explain!

Nice going on the morning spin class! I have such a hard time peeling myself out of my bed in the winter.

Sure thing! I set a goal for myself of 400 workouts in 2015 (min 30 minutes, but not necessarily SBR). I post my progress to help keep me motivated and on track.

Mornings are my thing--I'm often annoyed that the gym doesn't open until 5:30am.

Jana - As you have figured out right now - Gretchen is on fire this year. Her 400 workout challenge for herself is off to a stellar start. She is +16 workouts for the year (give or take a few) and she is well on her way to making it happen. She's one of the poster childs for BDAS that's for sure!

Keep it up Gretchen - you rock!
2015-03-04 12:46 PM

User image

What do you guys do when you miss a workout? Bad day at work yesterday, lots of work in the evening meant I missed my erging session. Trying to decide if I should double up on my short run day on Friday (do 3.1 miles on the treadmill and then erg?) or if it's better to skip and move on.

I'm in for both the plank challenge and the squat challenge. I've been doing 2x 45 second planks, and the challenge will be great!
2015-03-04 3:07 PM
in reply to: jeverett724

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jeverett724

What do you guys do when you miss a workout? Bad day at work yesterday, lots of work in the evening meant I missed my erging session. Trying to decide if I should double up on my short run day on Friday (do 3.1 miles on the treadmill and then erg?) or if it's better to skip and move on.

I'm in for both the plank challenge and the squat challenge. I've been doing 2x 45 second planks, and the challenge will be great!

Jana - Great question... In general - It really depends on you. If you are the type of person who is prone to injury (aka - me), then making up the workout really turns into a lose-lose proposition. Not only does it increase the risk of injury because you are putting more stress on your muscles than they are used to - but it also partially cancels out the benefit of using the missed workout as a rest day. On the other hand, if you're a machine - then it's not such a huge deal. Also - it depends on the type of workout. If you missed a workout that had a particular purpose - then you may want to figure out a way to get it in.

With that said - since you are working two different parts of your body (erg for the arms and running for your legs), I don't think it's a huge issue.

2015-03-04 3:18 PM

User image

Expert

Thank you Dave O for sticking up for us night owls. Some people set a 4 am alarm to get up, others to remind them to go to bed.

Since DQ has banned me from posting pictures of beautiful Florida scenery, I thought I'd share a funny shot from last year around Easter time. My family from Minnesota found my cycling jersey tan line somewhat hilarious.

While I am grateful for you thinking of us snow bound northerners - I would just like to point out that having a pool in the background doesn't make me feel all that great either!

However - that is quite the farmers tan... I too am amused!

PS - I love the fact that you post pictures. I wish more people would post them as it helps me get to know you better! I have no idea what most of the BDASers look like

Edited by Qua17 2015-03-04 3:20 PM
2015-03-04 3:25 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Snewo

Check-in: 3/? Did 800 meter swim yesterday; 14.5 stationary bike and 3.7 run brick today. Did my challenge planks. I think I'm going to have trouble with this challenge. My core is more jello than sixpack.

Shirt Update: Jakroo is converting our designs over to their team store format. In a few days we should be able to find the designs in our own store. They are also going to propagate our designs onto other items...I thought that might be fun. The prices are going to be based on how many of each item we are going to buy. Once the site is up and running, I suggest we hold back on our enthusiasm and let's get a count of the shirts we want, so we can get the best price. I'll let you know the team store info once I have it. Here are the prices for those interested: http://www.jakroo.com/pricing/
They are also going to give the graphics a once over to make sure that everything looks good and there is no pixelation.

Weather: I'm ready for the sun. This nuisance snow/ice/sleet stinks. Glad the planets aligned to get me to the YMCA through the sleet, since now another snowstorm is probably going to get in the way on Thursday. That being said, I've never seen a snowshoe up close and personal. I guess I'm more in Yaktrax territory.

Hey New Folks: Don't get intimidated by the morning BDAS people that wake up way before the butt crack of dawn to work out. There are those of us from team "Night Owl" in here too. It really doesn't matter when you get your workout in...just make it part of your routine and the results will follow.

Dave O - Thanks so much for all the work you have done on the jersey. I love the fact that everyone can get what they want. Any way we could rig the order so we could pick up the post of your bike shirt?

Good job on your brick. Way to turn that Jello into something a little more substantial!
2015-03-04 3:27 PM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

Expert
Originally posted by fifthcircle

Crappy weekend.
Wife had a patient with a bad outcome. Super sad. At the same time, her dad was in the hospital (the same one) with stomach pain. He just had his gall bladder out a week ago. Not sure what the cause of the pain was. He's home now.

Needless to say, my workouts took a back seat. Made up for it today.

Glad to see everyone (even DQ) getting after it! Snowshoeing is a blast. Especially if you can get out alone in the quiet of the snow blanketed woods. Tranquility!!!!

Fifth - sorry to hear about your FIL. I hope he gets to feeling better soon.
2015-03-04 3:32 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sandishr

2.5 mile run today. Getting there. That surgeon better not tell me to take it easier. :-) I'm hoping to be in a position to set some goals later this week.

Dave, if I have anything to say about it I'll be snowshoeing next week. Enjoy!

Sandi

Sandi - The snow shoeing went ok... Getting a 230 pound frame on shoe shoes that were a bit too small for me (and that I didn't know how to use) made for quite the workout. On an amusing note - with the hope of getting a laugh out of my kids, I made a big deal of falling over on purpose. The kids were amused.... until I tried to get back on my feet - which took me 5 minutes and which they found hysterical...

Congrats on your progress - you are an inspiration!
2015-03-04 3:56 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Mojo update:

Thanks to the balmy temps (by MA standards - God knows it ain't FL) I went for a bike ride once I got home from my trip (so that's two for the week Kate) and I enjoyed myself. There was really nothing fun about the conditions - the roads were terrible - and I came home soaked from all the dirty puddles I rode though.... But I got the workout in and I enjoyed myself.

i have spent some time this week thinking and planning about what I can do to ignite that fire.... A few thoughts....

The simile of a fire is a good one... For those of you who have "known me" since I began triathlons in 2012 - I have loved the sport. And I know that despite the apathy I feel now, there are still embers burning. I just need to give them some oxygen....

I'm a pretty social person and I need to create more social connections in order to get me out the door. I think I'm going to join a local tri club and see if that might help. Also - speaking of connections - I'm friends with a bunch of you on facebook. For those of you who are new - my username is David W. Qua

Also, I need motivation/a reward.... I was thinking of things that would motivate me - a new iPhone, or maybe a new bike if I lose all the weight or maybe even a cruise (then I can hit the buffet and gain it all back) I need to also reconnect with that drive to be "happy and healthy" which started it all.

Thanks for listening!

2015-03-04 4:12 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Mojo update:

Thanks to the balmy temps (by MA standards - God knows it ain't FL) I went for a bike ride once I got home from my trip (so that's two for the week Kate) and I enjoyed myself. There was really nothing fun about the conditions - the roads were terrible - and I came home soaked from all the dirty puddles I rode though.... But I got the workout in and I enjoyed myself.

i have spent some time this week thinking and planning about what I can do to ignite that fire.... A few thoughts....

The simile of a fire is a good one... For those of you who have "known me" since I began triathlons in 2012 - I have loved the sport. And I know that despite the apathy I feel now, there are still embers burning. I just need to give them some oxygen....

I'm a pretty social person and I need to create more social connections in order to get me out the door. I think I'm going to join a local tri club and see if that might help. Also - speaking of connections - I'm friends with a bunch of you on facebook. For those of you who are new - my username is David W. Qua

Also, I need motivation/a reward.... I was thinking of things that would motivate me - a new iPhone, or maybe a new bike if I lose all the weight or maybe even a cruise (then I can hit the buffet and gain it all back) I need to also reconnect with that drive to be "happy and healthy" which started it all.

Thanks for listening!

Dave this is getting better and better every day. You'll get it all back soon for sure!

Good for you for hitting the streets! I'm too scared right now, we haven't got a single road near me that's wide enough to be safe on foot never mind on a bike. Every storm the streets have gotten narrower and narrower....

The reward is a fantastic idea. Has to be something you're really excited for. Between bike and cruise my vote is definitely bike - you're going to need a Tri bike for that Kona qualification!

Expect a friend request from John Giza shortly! (edit - it wouldn't let me send a friend request, only a message to your 'Other' folder).

Edited by firebert 2015-03-04 4:15 PM
2015-03-04 7:06 PM

User image

Dave glad to hear you are getting there. Today was a rest day for me. I am getting up early to swim and run tomorrow. I am going to NY next weekend so I am going to have to find a place to workout, and being in the cold NE I am going to find something indoors.
2015-03-04 8:01 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Bah it's been a crappy few days. Worst thing was a Dr's appointment... I've never had health problems worse than seasonal allergies, but had some issues this fall that led me to find out I have an underactive thyroid. I didn't like my old Dr so got a new one who sent me for a thyroid ultrasound and blood work. Just found out I have thyroid nodules that are large enough he wants me to see an endocrinologist and possibly get them biopsied (which is more time and money), and my triglycerides are ridiculously high (like over 500) and cholestorol is borderline. I'm only 36! So I'm going to try to lose weight, but now I have a reason other than vanity and 2 sec/ mile/ pound off my marathon time. He gave me an idiotic sheet of diet tips (eat margarine?!? Seriously?) but after some internet research it seems the only things wrong with my diet, from a triglyceride point of view, are alcohol and sweets. I don't think I'll give them up I'm going to try to make them a few times a month treat. And see if my blood work comes back better in a few months.
Also have car insurance irritation, and I lost a client, which was kind of necessary but just makes my budget a little tight for the next month or so.
Sorry to vent. You know how it is when there are things that aren't a big deal on their own, but when they come together along with 3 days of snow and sleet they seem like a big deal? Oh, and somehow I got a leak from the top of the window in my bathroom last night so there was a slow drip of filthy water that splattered all over half my bathroom. Grr.
/rant
2015-03-04 8:06 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

DeLand, Florida
Christina that all sounds terrible! I'm sorry you're having a rough few days (and in the wake of finishing a snow HM no less!). I hope everything gets brighter soon.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54341 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.