BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-03-04 8:26 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
I hate to sound like I'm rubbing salt in open wounds, but I had a great workout today. As part of my HIM training plan, today was a 5 mile time trial on the bike. I planned my route so that I was riding into the wind for the 5 mile TT so that I wouldn't have a wind aided speed. I was hoping for a 20 mph average and went as hard as I could for the entire distance. I felt like I held my aero-position well, maintained cadence, and still had a little left at the end. When I got back to the truck and checked my splits, I managed to hold 21.2 mph for the TT!

I know the work has been done by me, but the motivation has come from all of you guys and gals. In 2 months, I've already biked and ran a third of what I did all of last year. I've dropped 15 pounds. I've reconnected with a group ride that kicks my butt every Monday night. I've started taking yoga, which I really think helped to allow me to stay in the tucked position for the entire TT. So while I'm very happy with my progress, I know it's the accountability that this group provides that is driving my success.

Thank you all!!!

2015-03-04 9:07 PM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Here is a picture of my son at his last National race. Had to share it since it was bike related. Made the it in the issue of Pull magizine. He managed to only sprain an ankle.

(Capture - Copy.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture - Copy.PNG (1066KB - 3 downloads)
2015-03-05 6:00 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by cwpeters

I hate to sound like I'm rubbing salt in open wounds, but I had a great workout today. As part of my HIM training plan, today was a 5 mile time trial on the bike. I planned my route so that I was riding into the wind for the 5 mile TT so that I wouldn't have a wind aided speed. I was hoping for a 20 mph average and went as hard as I could for the entire distance. I felt like I held my aero-position well, maintained cadence, and still had a little left at the end. When I got back to the truck and checked my splits, I managed to hold 21.2 mph for the TT!

I know the work has been done by me, but the motivation has come from all of you guys and gals. In 2 months, I've already biked and ran a third of what I did all of last year. I've dropped 15 pounds. I've reconnected with a group ride that kicks my butt every Monday night. I've started taking yoga, which I really think helped to allow me to stay in the tucked position for the entire TT. So while I'm very happy with my progress, I know it's the accountability that this group provides that is driving my success.

Thank you all!!!

That is AWESOME! To meet your goal is one thing but to surpass it by 5 percent and to do it into the wind is something to throw a party about.

You're right about the BDAS - it's a powerful place and we are glad to have you (and long as you keep the sunny pictures to a minimum )
2015-03-05 6:06 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Another rough start to the morning (my son was up late last night) but I got my swim and aqua jogging in! I'm realizing that part of the difficulty that I am having is that I am really starting over. And starting over is HARD! But it's good to know that I'm doing it with you guys.

I've been playing around with the idea of qualifying for a legacy spot and the cost boggles the mind... Let's say it costs 1500 per race including race fees travel, lodging, and apparel... So the accomplishment will probably cost the same as my new car... and that's at a minimum.... But if it kept me healthy and motivated for 15 years - that would be a pretty good investment!

Have a great day everyone!
2015-03-05 7:12 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
@Burd- that is insane! Is it like a mountain bike race? I love how it talks about these little kids taking the inside line and coming unclipped. He is a serious competitor!
2015-03-05 7:28 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crazy picture!!! I also want to know what type of race it is!

Dave- you have a free place to stay 10 minutes from the start of the Boulder IM anytime you want!

I am at 3 workouts having done 6AM hot yoga and a run yesterday! Today is a travel day but if everything runs on time I should be able to do a trainer ride after getting home. I need to find some pool time - but I have both runs done at sea level

2015-03-05 7:33 AM
in reply to: #5098130

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have a question for those of you trying to lose weight. How do you set your goal? I'm trying to lose a few pounds but not sure how to determine me goal. I mean as i age do I go with the weight of being the fittest I ever have been- or is it reasonable to in a year I'm turning 40 want to weigh what I did at 26? (It's all less than 10 pounds different- so we're not talking big changes). I'm curious on people's perspectives.
2015-03-05 8:01 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Originally posted by Moonrocket I have a question for those of you trying to lose weight. How do you set your goal? I'm trying to lose a few pounds but not sure how to determine me goal. I mean as i age do I go with the weight of being the fittest I ever have been- or is it reasonable to in a year I'm turning 40 want to weigh what I did at 26? (It's all less than 10 pounds different- so we're not talking big changes). I'm curious on people's perspectives.

Less than a ten pound difference? Yea, definitely possible. Being 40 won't have much impact on that (Life more than age is what will inhibit you). 

2015-03-05 8:07 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Check in:

I hit a new PB in 5 second sprint power yesterday. 1137 watts. 

I love MyFitnessPal. I've used other trackers in the past (namely the livestrong tracker) but this one is definitely the best so far. I also find I'm more accountable now. The last few pounds I need to lose to be as lean as I want to be will be really tough and MFP seems to have made it a little easier to quantify what I need to do to get there. 

Other than that, I'm just plugging away at my training. 

2015-03-05 8:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by jeverett724 What do you guys do when you miss a workout? Bad day at work yesterday, lots of work in the evening meant I missed my erging session. Trying to decide if I should double up on my short run day on Friday (do 3.1 miles on the treadmill and then erg?) or if it's better to skip and move on. I'm in for both the plank challenge and the squat challenge. I've been doing 2x 45 second planks, and the challenge will be great!

I always skip and move on because:

1) I don't like messing around with my weekly plan. It throws my whole week off if I start messing with things.

2) I'll end up doubling up, or doing back to back workouts when one day was supposed to be a rest day. This usually means I end up overdoing it and burning out when I should have been going strong. Quality of workouts is always better than quantity. If you double up or remove a rest day to make up for the missed workout, you'll might end up too tired to really get anything out of the workout. For example, I always do my anaerobic workouts on Wednesday after a rest day so my legs are fresh. If I missed Monday's workout and moved it to Tuesday, come Wednesday my legs might be too tired to my hit goal wattage in all the intervals. So sure, I can say I 'did all my workouts' that week but the one workout I didn't get as much out of because I doubled up. Thursday I usually do a steady state FTP ride but now that will have been my third hard day of riding so now the quality of that workout will suffer too. 

Edited by adempsey10 2015-03-05 8:16 AM
2015-03-05 9:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by adempsey10

Check in:

I love MyFitnessPal. I've used other trackers in the past (namely the livestrong tracker) but this one is definitely the best so far. I also find I'm more accountable now. The last few pounds I need to lose to be as lean as I want to be will be really tough and MFP seems to have made it a little easier to quantify what I need to do to get there. 

1137.....wow that's beast! Great work

2015-03-05 9:04 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
It was a BMX race. These kids are crazy competitive. The older ones are super fast.
2015-03-05 9:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

40 is just a number. Do what is important and healthy to you! if you want to lose the 10lbs go for it! There is a great illustration on body fat percentage and what I looks like on this website. It may help your weight goals.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/

Originally posted by Moonrocket I have a question for those of you trying to lose weight. How do you set your goal? I'm trying to lose a few pounds but not sure how to determine me goal. I mean as i age do I go with the weight of being the fittest I ever have been- or is it reasonable to in a year I'm turning 40 want to weigh what I did at 26? (It's all less than 10 pounds different- so we're not talking big changes). I'm curious on people's perspectives.

2015-03-05 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17
Originally posted by cwpeters I hate to sound like I'm rubbing salt in open wounds, but I had a great workout today. As part of my HIM training plan, today was a 5 mile time trial on the bike. I planned my route so that I was riding into the wind for the 5 mile TT so that I wouldn't have a wind aided speed. I was hoping for a 20 mph average and went as hard as I could for the entire distance. I felt like I held my aero-position well, maintained cadence, and still had a little left at the end. When I got back to the truck and checked my splits, I managed to hold 21.2 mph for the TT! I know the work has been done by me, but the motivation has come from all of you guys and gals. In 2 months, I've already biked and ran a third of what I did all of last year. I've dropped 15 pounds. I've reconnected with a group ride that kicks my butt every Monday night. I've started taking yoga, which I really think helped to allow me to stay in the tucked position for the entire TT. So while I'm very happy with my progress, I know it's the accountability that this group provides that is driving my success. Thank you all!!!
That is AWESOME! To meet your goal is one thing but to surpass it by 5 percent and to do it into the wind is something to throw a party about. You're right about the BDAS - it's a powerful place and we are glad to have you (and long as you keep the sunny pictures to a minimum )

X2

2015-03-05 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Hoping to lose 2lbs today and ended up with a big fat ZERO. Hoping it was the salty ham I had yesterday. I know I can swing 3-5 lbs with water etc. Hoping for better results. I know the last time this happened I had a big loss the following week.

2015-03-05 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Moonrocket

I have a question for those of you trying to lose weight. How do you set your goal? I'm trying to lose a few pounds but not sure how to determine me goal. I mean as i age do I go with the weight of being the fittest I ever have been- or is it reasonable to in a year I'm turning 40 want to weigh what I did at 26? (It's all less than 10 pounds different- so we're not talking big changes). I'm curious on people's perspectives.

Weight goals are relative. When I started out, I was at 296 pounds, and I was thinking that 240 would be good. At 240, I thought 19X would be good. When I hit 172 last summer and 16% body fat, I was thinking 9% bodyfat would be good. Now that I'm getting involved with some serious cyclists, my perception has skewed almost to supermodel territory. Brad Wiggins is 6'3" and 152lbs; Chris Froome is 6'1" and 152lbs.

For me, I'd like to see a sub-10% bodyfat figure, which should make me light, fast, and ready for summer.

More than anything though, I just want to stop worrying about weight. I want to get light and then take it off my mind so I can focus on other stuff. Most of the barriers are mental and coping/stress related, so breaking those habits and changing those behaviors takes so much effort. But that's just me.

2015-03-05 10:46 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon
Weight goals are relative. When I started out, I was at 296 pounds, and I was thinking that 240 would be good. At 240, I thought 19X would be good. When I hit 172 last summer and 16% body fat, I was thinking 9% bodyfat would be good. Now that I'm getting involved with some serious cyclists, my perception has skewed almost to supermodel territory. Brad Wiggins is 6'3" and 152lbs; Chris Froome is 6'1" and 152lbs. For me, I'd like to see a sub-10% bodyfat figure, which should make me light, fast, and ready for summer. More than anything though, I just want to stop worrying about weight. I want to get light and then take it off my mind so I can focus on other stuff. Most of the barriers are mental and coping/stress related, so breaking those habits and changing those behaviors takes so much effort. But that's just me.

Yea. Agreed about the weight. I now joke that when I come home and my family is waiting for me to have an intervention about my weight I'll know that I'm getting close to what I want to be for racing. 

2015-03-05 12:20 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thor67

Hoping to lose 2lbs today and ended up with a big fat ZERO. Hoping it was the salty ham I had yesterday. I know I can swing 3-5 lbs with water etc. Hoping for better results. I know the last time this happened I had a big loss the following week.

Stop drinking all that Molsen - it will help! Seriously - I bet if you weigh yourself tomorrow morning, there will be a difference on the scale. Keep it up brother - you got this!
2015-03-05 12:38 PM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17

Another rough start to the morning (my son was up late last night) but I got my swim and aqua jogging in! I'm realizing that part of the difficulty that I am having is that I am really starting over. And starting over is HARD! But it's good to know that I'm doing it with you guys.

I've been playing around with the idea of qualifying for a legacy spot and the cost boggles the mind... Let's say it costs 1500 per race including race fees travel, lodging, and apparel... So the accomplishment will probably cost the same as my new car... and that's at a minimum.... But if it kept me healthy and motivated for 15 years - that would be a pretty good investment!

Have a great day everyone!

Totally agree, Dave, starting over is the hardest! But you went to the pool and did your workout, excellent job! Getting out the door is the hardest part.
2015-03-05 12:48 PM

User image

Originally posted by jeverett724 What do you guys do when you miss a workout? Bad day at work yesterday, lots of work in the evening meant I missed my erging session. Trying to decide if I should double up on my short run day on Friday (do 3.1 miles on the treadmill and then erg?) or if it's better to skip and move on. I'm in for both the plank challenge and the squat challenge. I've been doing 2x 45 second planks, and the challenge will be great!

1) I don't like messing around with my weekly plan. It throws my whole week off if I start messing with things.

2) I'll end up doubling up, or doing back to back workouts when one day was supposed to be a rest day. This usually means I end up overdoing it and burning out when I should have been going strong. Quality of workouts is always better than quantity. If you double up or remove a rest day to make up for the missed workout, you'll might end up too tired to really get anything out of the workout. For example, I always do my anaerobic workouts on Wednesday after a rest day so my legs are fresh. If I missed Monday's workout and moved it to Tuesday, come Wednesday my legs might be too tired to my hit goal wattage in all the intervals. So sure, I can say I 'did all my workouts' that week but the one workout I didn't get as much out of because I doubled up. Thursday I usually do a steady state FTP ride but now that will have been my third hard day of riding so now the quality of that workout will suffer too. 

Alan, thanks again for the input - super helpful. I've decided to let the erg workout go. @Dave, erging is actually mostly legs, followed by abs/back, and finally arms. I recommend it to anyone as a cross training exercise; it's intense! Try to keep your splits at 2:15 for 500 meters and 24-26 strokes per minute- good starting place.

Back to Alan: as I mentioned with the nutrition, I'd love to know what sort of resources you used to learn all you know about nutrition and training. I would love to understand it more. I learned a little about anaerobic/aerobic zones during rowing training, but nothing comprehensive.

Beer: last night I ordered a Monk's Flemish Red (sour ale from Monk's in Philly) at a tavern here in DC and they were out of it! This also happened to me in Iowa around New Year's. Bums me out that it's so scarce, guess I'll have to make a trip back to Philly soon! I ended up with a Duchesse De Bourgogne, which was too sweet/syrupy for me (and was pricey!!!). At home with a snow day today, planning to work out hard and reward myself with some new beer picked up earlier this week: Conway's Irish Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Company (I love their Elliott Ness). I also got Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce from Yards (I like their Brawler). Reviews to follow.

Thanks guys!
-Jana
2015-03-05 12:48 PM

User image

Alan, thanks again for the input - super helpful. I've decided to let the erg workout go. @Dave, erging is actually mostly legs, followed by abs/back, and finally arms. I recommend it to anyone as a cross training exercise; it's intense! Try to keep your splits at 2:15 for 500 meters and 24-26 strokes per minute- good starting place.

Back to Alan: as I mentioned with the nutrition, I'd love to know what sort of resources you used to learn all you know about nutrition and training. I would love to understand it more. I learned a little about anaerobic/aerobic zones during rowing training, but nothing comprehensive.

Beer: last night I ordered a Monk's Flemish Red (sour ale from Monk's in Philly) at a tavern here in DC and they were out of it! This also happened to me in Iowa around New Year's. Bums me out that it's so scarce, guess I'll have to make a trip back to Philly soon! I ended up with a Duchesse De Bourgogne, which was too sweet/syrupy for me (and was pricey!!!). At home with a snow day today, planning to work out hard and reward myself with some new beer picked up earlier this week: Conway's Irish Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Company (I love their Elliott Ness). I also got Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce from Yards (I like their Brawler). Reviews to follow.

Thanks guys!
-Jana

2015-03-05 2:17 PM
in reply to: jeverett724

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Jana, I love the rowing machine! I lost close to a 100lbs on the concept 2. For me it is one of the best overall workouts in a gym, especially when you get your distance/time up!

I wish I had snow days that I could workout and drink new beers!!

Originally posted by jeverett724

Alan, thanks again for the input - super helpful. I've decided to let the erg workout go. @Dave, erging is actually mostly legs, followed by abs/back, and finally arms. I recommend it to anyone as a cross training exercise; it's intense! Try to keep your splits at 2:15 for 500 meters and 24-26 strokes per minute- good starting place. Back to Alan: as I mentioned with the nutrition, I'd love to know what sort of resources you used to learn all you know about nutrition and training. I would love to understand it more. I learned a little about anaerobic/aerobic zones during rowing training, but nothing comprehensive. Beer: last night I ordered a Monk's Flemish Red (sour ale from Monk's in Philly) at a tavern here in DC and they were out of it! This also happened to me in Iowa around New Year's. Bums me out that it's so scarce, guess I'll have to make a trip back to Philly soon! I ended up with a Duchesse De Bourgogne, which was too sweet/syrupy for me (and was pricey!!!). At home with a snow day today, planning to work out hard and reward myself with some new beer picked up earlier this week: Conway's Irish Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Company (I love their Elliott Ness). I also got Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce from Yards (I like their Brawler). Reviews to follow. Thanks guys! -Jana

2015-03-05 2:28 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

, Vermont
Christine, I really hope everything works out! Take one thing at a time and don't worry about anything until it's truly time to worry about it. Write you goals - or things that need to be dealt with - on a dry erase board or something and mark them off as you go so you'll have some kind of validation when these things get ironed out. That's a lot to deal with all at once! Prayers for you!! If you can make it through that crazy HM, you can make it through anything!!

Originally posted by chayes

Bah it's been a crappy few days. Worst thing was a Dr's appointment... I've never had health problems worse than seasonal allergies, but had some issues this fall that led me to find out I have an underactive thyroid. I didn't like my old Dr so got a new one who sent me for a thyroid ultrasound and blood work. Just found out I have thyroid nodules that are large enough he wants me to see an endocrinologist and possibly get them biopsied (which is more time and money), and my triglycerides are ridiculously high (like over 500) and cholestorol is borderline. I'm only 36! So I'm going to try to lose weight, but now I have a reason other than vanity and 2 sec/ mile/ pound off my marathon time. He gave me an idiotic sheet of diet tips (eat margarine?!? Seriously?) but after some internet research it seems the only things wrong with my diet, from a triglyceride point of view, are alcohol and sweets. I don't think I'll give them up I'm going to try to make them a few times a month treat. And see if my blood work comes back better in a few months.
Also have car insurance irritation, and I lost a client, which was kind of necessary but just makes my budget a little tight for the next month or so.
Sorry to vent. You know how it is when there are things that aren't a big deal on their own, but when they come together along with 3 days of snow and sleet they seem like a big deal? Oh, and somehow I got a leak from the top of the window in my bathroom last night so there was a slow drip of filthy water that splattered all over half my bathroom. Grr.
/rant
2015-03-05 2:31 PM

User image

, Vermont
Chris!! You rock!! Well done!! Which plan are you using again? I think I asked you once already but i forgot. My HIM is at the end of June and right now I'm just using the BT one.
Also, I just noticed you're in Bradenton! When we vacation we like to get a house on Anna Maria Island!! Small world! I'm bummed we're not going this year or we could have met up for an ows or run or something! At the very least, a beer!!

Originally posted by cwpeters

Thank you all!!!
2015-03-05 2:49 PM

User image

, Vermont
Awesome job, Alan!! Well done! Your training is paying off! I can't wait to see how you do when your season really gets underway!

I'm looking back through posts so I can join the Island ride. When I'd see those on Strava I assumed you were on vacation somewhere. LOL

Check in:

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54078 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.