BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-04-17 8:29 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by adempsey10

What about bumper stickers that say, 'You can't spell B@da$$ without BDAS' (uncensored of course). :P

or Ba DA sS (no spaces)

I love that idea!

I also love that idea, and am in for some stickers, either like that or with the dude from the shirts!

2015-04-17 10:28 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

, Vermont
Got my shirt! Picture to follow!
2015-04-17 1:44 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Gretchen, excavating two mummies? That is the coolest thing I've heard in ages.

Got my shirts today too! I intend to wear one on my ride today and the beer garden afterwards! :-) Pics to follow later!

Sandi
2015-04-17 8:20 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Ahhh! FedEx required a signature. Instead of a shirt I had a sheet asking for my signature for the next delivery time. The worst part is that my wife was home, they just didn't even try. Until then I'll have to make due with the shirt pictures.....where are the pictures?

2015-04-17 9:07 PM
in reply to: #5108830

User image

Extreme Veteran
I got the signature card too!

I want pictures!
2015-04-17 11:34 PM
in reply to: 0

Colorado Springs, Colorado
40.40 miles on the bike.

My longest and best I've felt on the bike yet, stayed in aero the vast majority of the ride, even was able to eat a few times from the aero bars. Was doing laps around my favorite lake, as I came to the parking lot where my car was, the odometer was at 38miles..nope, I set out to do at least 40, and damnit I was going to do it. The route around the lake is 6 miles...so these numbers don't add up...

Just over two miles into the last lap of the day, I'm not sure what caused it, but the next thing I remember, I was upside down, feet came lose when the back wheel hit the ground, a complete front flip. Not sure how I didn't get hit by a car considering it was a fairly busy time of the day.

First two statements out my mouth...

"Is my bike ok?!"

And "hold on, let me stop my gps."

A guy I had seen a few times during my ride was right around the corner when I went down, he was the first there. Turns out he races for my local Fleet Feet, where I shop quite often, absolutely stand up guy, he made sure I was alright, then finished his mile or so run to his house to get his car, came back with ice bags, cliff bars and water in case I needed them, and drove me back to my car on the other side of the lake. Waited there until my brother got there to bring me to the ER.

3 hours, X-rays, a splint and some pain killers later.

Nothing broken, shoulder, Left pectoral, left lat, and right wrist sprained.

I hope the flip at least looked cool....

Edited by GeauxHard 2015-04-17 11:36 PM

2015-04-18 12:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by GeauxHard

40.40 miles on the bike.

My longest and best I've felt on the bike yet, stayed in aero the vast majority of the ride, even was able to eat a few times from the aero bars. Was doing laps around my favorite lake, as I came to the parking lot where my car was, the odometer was at 38miles..nope, I set out to do at least 40, and damnit I was going to do it. The route around the lake is 6 miles...so these numbers don't add up...

Just over two miles into the last lap of the day, I'm not sure what caused it, but the next thing I remember, I was upside down, feet came lose when the back wheel hit the ground, a complete front flip. Not sure how I didn't get hit by a car considering it was a fairly busy time of the day.

First two statements out my mouth...

"Is my bike ok?!"

And "hold on, let me stop my gps."

A guy I had seen a few times during my ride was right around the corner when I went down, he was the first there. Turns out he races for my local Fleet Feet, where I shop quite often, absolutely stand up guy, he made sure I was alright, then finished his mile or so run to his house to get his car, came back with ice bags, cliff bars and water in case I needed them, and drove me back to my car on the other side of the lake. Waited there until my brother got there to bring me to the ER.

3 hours, X-rays, a splint and some pain killers later.

Nothing broken, shoulder, Left pectoral, left lat, and right wrist sprained.

I hope the flip at least looked cool....

OUCH! Heal up and thank goodness it's nothing broken.

Edited by Burd 2015-04-18 12:11 PM
2015-04-18 12:18 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Well I took the advise given by Charles. I slammed my stem on my bike and it looks/feels sweet. After I did this I thought how cool it would look with a new cockpit. Long story short I now own Zipp Vuka Aero bars with s-bend extensions, and a Zipp Sprint SL carbon stem. I figured on going with the Powertap chainring and it doesn't come out until summer so I can have the cockpit paid for It should all be here within 2 weeks then after I get it installed I'll toss up a picture.

Gotta love impulse purchases!

btw....thanks a lot Charles for the advise that ended up costing me a good bit of money...lol :P
2015-04-18 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
That sounds painful Devon. What is the prognosis for healing?

Alex- can't wait to see pictures in your new set up.

Question to the group- do you ever have a day where you've just got nothing to give? Today I woke up late and felt like I could sleep forever (small child bouncing on bed yelling mommy let's get up now! Limited that)

I tried to run and I swear my legs weighed 100 pounds each.

I just have nothing to give today.

I decided to be nice and after a 20 minute slog just did a long walk.

How do you deal with days like these?
2015-04-18 2:59 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

Originally posted by Moonrocket

That sounds painful Devon. What is the prognosis for healing?

Alex- can't wait to see pictures in your new set up.

Question to the group- do you ever have a day where you've just got nothing to give? Today I woke up late and felt like I could sleep forever (small child bouncing on bed yelling mommy let's get up now! Limited that)

Splint on my wrist for a week or two, no workout restrictions, but the doctor told me to take it easy for a day or two...I figure my lat and pec is just going to take a few days to heal..however it doesn't really hurt if I put weight on my elbows, so I'm gonna try to get on my trainer tomorrow and see how I feel. I'm fortunate, it could have been FAR worse.

I am going to bring my bike to my mechanic for a look over..my wrist hit my aero bar and turned it around 70 degrees. O.o
2015-04-18 6:13 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania

It happens to me every once in a while. I do my best to go through the motions of the workout and try again the next day. I usually blame it on lack of sleep or poor nutrition. That's at least my excuse.

2015-04-18 6:44 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Originally posted by Burd Well I took the advise given by Charles. I slammed my stem on my bike and it looks/feels sweet. After I did this I thought how cool it would look with a new cockpit. Long story short I now own Zipp Vuka Aero bars with s-bend extensions, and a Zipp Sprint SL carbon stem. I figured on going with the Powertap chainring and it doesn't come out until summer so I can have the cockpit paid for It should all be here within 2 weeks then after I get it installed I'll toss up a picture. Gotta love impulse purchases! btw....thanks a lot Charles for the advise that ended up costing me a good bit of money...lol :P

Well I guess you can give Charles the credit for that but I'm pretty sure it was me who suggested it... :P

2015-04-18 9:46 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Originally posted by Burd Well I took the advise given by Charles. I slammed my stem on my bike and it looks/feels sweet. After I did this I thought how cool it would look with a new cockpit. Long story short I now own Zipp Vuka Aero bars with s-bend extensions, and a Zipp Sprint SL carbon stem. I figured on going with the Powertap chainring and it doesn't come out until summer so I can have the cockpit paid for It should all be here within 2 weeks then after I get it installed I'll toss up a picture. Gotta love impulse purchases! btw....thanks a lot Charles for the advise that ended up costing me a good bit of money...lol :P

Well I guess you can give Charles the credit for that but I'm pretty sure it was me who suggested it... :P

Well Alan now I know for sure who to send the bills to, haha. I guess he's not the one to blame then, it's YOU!

For real thanks though cause it does look so much better and will look sweet with the new cockpit. I just moved the spacers up over the top of the stem. I'm waiting to make the final cut of the last bit off the forks until I am 110% sure it's right. I can always cut it off but I can't add it back. I figure I'll put a month of heavy riding on it before making the cut. Looks a bit weird with the spacers above the stem but I'll know it's right when the time comes.
2015-04-19 1:54 PM
in reply to: GeauxHard

User image

New user
Madrid
Ouch!!! Hope you're back to training soon.

Juan
2015-04-19 3:20 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

heal up devon.
2015-04-19 3:48 PM

So it's day 2 since the wreck..

And the pain is really hitting me now, like they say 2 days after is always the worse. Something as simple as taking a tshirt off nearly brought me to tears.

Worked all night last night with a sling on my left arm, and brace on my right..made for a long and difficult night.

Hopefully I'll be alright in a day or so to at least get back on my trainer and spin a little...probably should bring my bike to the shop for a look over first though.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Edited by GeauxHard 2015-04-19 3:49 PM

2015-04-19 9:20 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania

Dave, I hate to ask you to do anymore- since you did so much with the shirts already- but how hard would it be to translate the BDAS design to a rectangle for stickers- and if people wanted they could use the same file for a polar picture water bottle.

Something like this? It's hard to see the borders due to the background being the same color. I have this in a larger size too, I just didn't want to kill the forum.

Edited by Snewo 2015-04-19 9:22 PM

(bumper_sticker_small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bumper_sticker_small.jpg (53KB - 3 downloads)
2015-04-19 9:30 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania

If someone sends me the vector files I can do a simple rectangle with the angry dude and 'BDAS' above or below him. Unless he already has BDAS on him somewhere, I can't remember.

The original images are available for you to download on page 33 of the forum. They are both currently in JPG format if you want to try your hand at things.
2015-04-20 12:49 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Devon, get better soon! Glad it wasn't worse!

Kate, I think you did the right thing by at least getting out there and trying, and then continuing with a walk. Everyone has bad days, but getting your blood pumping even by walking has to help.

Dave O - Sweet image! I like it

Where are the pictures of the shirts, people?!?! I would like to live vicariously through you until I get around to ordering my own

Also, for the ladies who ordered tri tops, what is the fit like? Did you order the same size you would normally order in a shirt or did you go a size up? I'm nervous to order one b/c if it doesn't fit, I can't just send it back.
2015-04-20 7:36 PM

User image

, Vermont
Nicole, I got the regular bike shirt, not the tri shirt. I ended up choosing a medium because I decided to err on the side of caution - can always wear something a bit bigger. The bike shirt fits just about perfect. I'll post a picture when I have one. I'm about 5'8" and 123 but dimensions would probably help you more - I can pm you if you want me to.
2015-04-20 8:46 PM
in reply to: #5109594

User image

Extreme Veteran
I got the bike shirt as well. I read some reviews that they run big, so I ordered a small. I'm 5'6" and 135 and it fits snug but not too tight. I have a lot of baggy shirts so I wanted something that fit a bit snug and I'm happy with the fit.

2015-04-20 9:01 PM
in reply to: #5109605

User image

Extreme Veteran
Did anyone get the tri-top? I'd love a see throughness when wet review!
2015-04-20 9:41 PM

User image

I had my second Ontario Cup race this weekend. They mix the elite 3s with the junior men and since the team I race for is mostly juniors, I was riding in support of them today. I was given instructions to reel in anyway breakaways that our team was not in. I spent most of the race working on the front to chase down breakaways. Unfortunately, my pacemaking was evidently too much for the young fellows and all but one was dangling off the pack of the back for most of the race. I managed to tow him up to the line for a 7th place finish in his category. I managed 5th place in mine (12th overall in the combined field). Working for the kids means I pretty much sacrifice my chances of getting on the podium for the rest of summer but all I need is 11th place or higher in each of the 5 races left to get enough points for elite 2. And by working for the juniors I score points with their coach who is an influential guy in Canadian cycling and can put in the good word for me to get on a bigger team (which means I might have to put off my return to Ironman for another year since I could be travelling all over Canada and the US next summer for races). 

The course was incredible. A closed circuit motorsport course just outside of Ottawa. The best course I've ever ridden. Here are some pics of the race.

The first I am on the front chasing down a breakaway. The second is coming up to the front to start a chase. The NCCH rider in the orange is looking over and giving me the stink eye because he is currently trying to ease the pace to let his compadre in the breakaway group get away. And the final pic is after I realized that none of the juniors had the legs to attack, and so I tried to make a go of it myself with the guy in front of me. The pace was so high the whole race that nothing could get away. 41.8kph (30mph) average speed for the race. 

Edited by adempsey10 2015-04-20 9:46 PM

(11159536_10152800796522113_6109631732466855615_n.jpg)

(10500297_10152800796182113_2901454449032484970_n.jpg)

(11024699_10152800796417113_4140551341827614016_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
11159536_10152800796522113_6109631732466855615_n.jpg (122KB - 2 downloads)
10500297_10152800796182113_2901454449032484970_n.jpg (149KB - 4 downloads)
11024699_10152800796417113_4140551341827614016_n.jpg (140KB - 4 downloads)
2015-04-20 10:20 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Check-in Today was the second of 2 days of swim workouts. I'm limiting myself to the pool for workouts this week. Tomorrow is going to be just walking on the treadmill since I know my daughter/personal trainer is going to drag me to the YMCA again.

Stretching What I have been doing other than running is stretching. My upper back (between the shoulder blades) has been hurting as of late. I'm 99% sure I'm just really tight since this whole "exercising the upper body" thing is new. My stretching has been helping a bunch. I'm going to try to incorporate it into my daily routine. Maybe my posture will improve too.

Hair On a related note, boy do they use a ton of chlorine in the pool at the Y. My hair was getting destroyed. I tried a few tricks, wetting hair first, rinsing immediately after the swim, baking soda paste, conditioner, etc. In the end I just went with the short haircut. It's been a while since it's been this short. I like it. I'm more streamlined now. I'm going to pass on the swim cap at the moment....I DO realize that's the answer.

Clothes I bought a pair of tri shorts since I'm going to be needing a pair soon. I did the internet thing and I now realize that X-Large doesn't mean the same thing in China that is means is other parts of the world. Bad News: I could show you the definition of muffin top. Good News: I now have motivation to try to lose more weight before the primary tri in August. I need to get a pair for the June sprint though, can I buy them at Dick's so that I can try them on first?

I found this funny, so I thought I should share: http://trstriathlon.com/a-triathletes-guide-to-recruitment/
2015-04-20 10:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice Alan!

Dave, here we don't have them at Dick's, but REI does.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54086 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.