BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2014-12-16 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
The Beer Drinker Appreciation Society's Mission: Beer is a great motivator, and we use it to motivate each other and hold one another accountable. Work hard - drink whatever you want. Beer, Wine, Booze - it doesn't matter as long as it motivates you. Miss a workout - and you just earned a CLP (Coors Lite Penalty - best served warm This group is for everyone! There is a nice mix of experience here so newbies and vets will find the support they need to accomplish their goals.

NAME: David or DQ

STORY: In 2012, I weighed in at a portly 270 lb and decided enough was enough. I started out with a simple sprint and ended up capping off the year with a HIM. The exercise helped me to lose 95 pounds. More importantly, I feel in love with the sport of Triathlon and it's been a passion ever since. For me - it's all about staying happy and healthy.

FAMILY STATUS: I am blessed to be married to my smokin hot wife (Heidi) and during the last 16 years, we've had three kids 14, 12, and 5

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm trying to get back into the grove so I'm currently training around 5 hours per week.

2014 RACES:: I knocked off Rev3 Quassy HIM (with Charles - a BDAS member) and Mont Tremblant (with Alan - a BDAS member). On December 21, I plan on doing a 25 mile walk to raise money for Franciscan Hospital for Children.

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: I'm hoping to run Boston in April (for a charity - there is NO way I will ever qualify), a couple sprints and oly's during the spring and early summer, and then Rev3 Maine in August.

BEER PREFERENCE: I will drink just about anything but my favorite styles are saison, gueuze, and IPA. I also make beer, and just brewed a saison porter that I'm hoping will motivate me heading into the new year.

WEIGHT LOSS: In 2012, I lost 96 pounds. Over the past two years, I've put back 40 pounds of it. Hoping to eat a little better so I can squeeze into my wet suit by Mother's Day (my first race of the season).

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: To be honest, I would not have been able to accomplish anything without the help of my awesome mentor (thanks DH) and fellow beer loving mentees. I am so thankful, and I want to repay my debt by helping those who join this group to accomplish their goals. I promise to check the forum everyday and I will do my best to answer your questions and cheer you on throughout the 2014 tri season. As a group, we will use beer to help motivate us to get healthier and happier and to put us in a good position to accomplish our goals and kick a little butt along the way.

PROST!!!

Edited by Qua17 2014-12-16 8:56 PM

2014-12-17 1:01 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Just checking in... It's been a while since I have done that during the middle of the day...

Skipped Starbucks (and the 1000 calories that usually comes with it) and ate oatmeal for maybe the 2nd time this month. I've eaten well most of the day and am hoping to be good for the rest of the day. When I get home, I plan on doing 20 minutes of PT and going out for a bike ride. To try to motivate myself, I thought I would go back to basics and use the plan that got me started back in 2009 when I did my first tri. Baby steps...

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/10wtp.pdf

2014-12-17 8:09 PM

User image

may i join again? I will re post my bio later. I am also going to try to get my brother on here since he is planning to do his first half at b2b 15
2014-12-17 9:32 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

may i join again? I will re post my bio later. I am also going to try to get my brother on here since he is planning to do his first half at b2b 15

Clearly you've had one too many! Of course, with all the support you've given to people this year, there will always be a place for you in the BDAS (and your brother too!).

2014-12-18 8:17 PM

User image

Thx Dave, you may be overstating how much I help, but I sure learned a lot.

NAME: Scott

STORY: In 6-13 I watched the inaugural IM Raleigh (70.3). I thought to myself that looks like fun think I'll give it a try. Went home found some local races and signed up. I was signed up for 4 sprints the next day and decided it was time to buy a bike, and maybe swim since I really never swam for anything but fun. My first bike was a little awkward I felt like I was flying at 10 mph, first swim was not much better as I felt like I may drown before I finished one lap. Somehow I made it though the season and set my goal to do a HIM at the end of the next season. I completed Beach to Battleship HIM in Oct and have decided to to the Full this year.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married and have a daughter (6) who also did a kids tri last season and is signed up to do it again next year.

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I am run focused b/c I am doing my first marathon in April, but still swimming at least twice a week. Awaiting my new bike which has been ordered now that I am sure I am going to continue with triathlon.

2014 RACES:: Hilton Head sprint, 3 Rex wellness sprints (garner, wakefield, knightdale), Tri Ballantyne, Wilmington YMCA sprint, and Beach to Battleship Half.

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: Doing the inaugural star wars half marathon, Rock and Roll Raleigh marathon, Tri Ballantyne (with my brother in law his 1st), Stumpy Creek international, Lake Logan Half and Beach to Battle Ironman. I am debating competing in the 2015 world police and fire games which will be an international distance. It is being held in Va next year so its a once in a life time chance.

BEER PREFERENCE: I will drink just about anything but my favorite styles are IPA's all of them belgian, black, double, rye.... I also make beer, and just brewed a belgian IPA split into 3 gallons regular and 3 gallons aged on oak cubes that were soaked in bourbon for 6 months.

WEIGHT LOSS: I have put on some weigh due to a pretty bad back injury.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I check in pretty regular and since my A race is late in the season will stay with it till late October. I am probably better at answering beer questions than triathlon questions, but I will give it my best.
2014-12-20 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
Welcome back Scott! Glad to have you back for round three! As a triathlete, beer drinker, and home brewer - you're a triple threat!

The Star Wars half marathon? I need to learn more. Also, is Beach to Battle IM your a race? I think it's awesome you are training for an IM - it just shows how far you have come!

Have a great weekend!

Dave

2014-12-20 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
I'm just checking in...

First things first, I have assessed myself a Coors Lite Penalty for not posting during the last two days. The last week of school before a break is the epitome of craziness and I am so ready for a two week break.

I went to my PT yesterday for a run down before my big run/walk tomorrow. I've been a bad boy about rolling and doing my exercises and the guy told me he could feel my body tightening up... We worked out a plan to do two ten minute sets of PT exercises. In the past - I've shot for 30 minutes of PT a day and with the craziness of being a teacher/dad - I never seem to get them sone consistently.

I feel like I'm making some preogress and am eating better and exercising more. Yesterday on the way to PT, I had a grapefruit intead of stopping at the Dairy Queen I have to drive by to get there. I know it's crazy - but the lure of a chocolate dipped cone and the power it has over me just shows how far I have slipped.

Something really cool happened yesterday Dave McGillveray, the race director of the Boston Marathon, came to our school to speak to the students and at the end of the presentation I went up to talk to them knowing I'd never have another chance again. I asked him if he would work on getting bids for my sons rehab hospital and he told me that it was unlikely that that would happen (because they get so many requests. So I asked him Iwhat his position was on bandits. I have thought about banditting Ithe race for the last 10 years to raise money for Franciscan Hospital for told him the reason why I haven't is because I feel like I'm in an ethical gray area. Even if I were to pay for a race bib and bring my own stuff I feel like I don't necessarily belong there because other people are raising money for charities or have qualified. So I asked him if he thought it would be unethical for me to run the race next year to raise money for my son's charity and he said that he didn't see anything unethical in it at all. I took that to mean that he would be okay with me doing the Boston Marathon next year and so I have set that as one of my A races. I'm pretty stoked!

I've got my 25 mile run walk from our home to the hospital tomorrow. If you can manage to run/walk a mile or two as part of the virtual run - let me know. I just want to be able to tell the doctors nurses and therapists there that times of people walk on their behalf.

Have a great weekend everyone!
2014-12-20 12:41 PM

User image

I will get in a mile for the virtual run tomorrow. Its my rest day before my long run monday but its only a mile and it is for a good cause. I'm getting in a swim and a run today. I really need to get back on the bike, but I am selling my old one and waiting on my new one to show up so its easy to make an excuse not to.

Mark is also running the star wars half (at Disneyland) so I think we are going to try to get together for a beer. That's good news about the Boston Marathon will you set up a web page for donations? If so let us know.

Beach to battleship is my A race for next year. It will be my first IM. The fun part is my brother is going to do the half (it will be his first season he has never done a tri before). I am trying to get work to sponsor me for the Police Fire games I told them if they covered the fees I would cover the hotel since I would only need it for 1 night. I better get going have a long night shift ahead and need to get my swim in before work.

2014-12-22 11:59 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Can I get back in without a bio? I just typed out an epic bio, and mistyped some button on the keyboard, and the bio was Erased. Bummer.

Name: Kevin

Family: Wife Sarah, and 3 daughters. I'm surrounded by amazing women. Since 2008, my wife lost and re-lost through 2 of her 3 pregnancies 130 lbs. I'm in awe of these people.

Training: 3 times a week run. Training for my first ultra in 2015.

2014 races: None. Injured calf caused 1.5 yr. layoff. That was rough. Now I'm healthy, and hefty.

2015 races: Spokane River Run 50K Ultra marathon in April. Spokane Marathon in October. Possible 50 miler at the end of year, (fall). If so, it would replace the marathon.

Beer: Imperial's are it. IPA's are dynamite. I've recently discovered wine for the first time this year, and do enjoy. Spirit's...Yes please. I'm not a conesuer, but do enjoy local brews of the northwest (That's USA Thor).

Weight loss: Yes please. Can't wait to get through the Christmas holiday, and get back on track. I got down into the 80's again in November, only to jump back up to the upper 90's. Looking forward to buckling down, but also, I commend the enjoyment of life. I enjoy eating and drinking and being merry. Joy seems to accompany me in this.

Prior to last year, I had been a participating, contributing member of the BDAS. I look forward to getting back to this again with you all.
2014-12-23 10:04 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Kevin - It's great to have you back!

BDASers - While I (often) make fun of Kevin for his distain for fruit beers (it's only a matter of time before he finds one he likes), Kevin's speed and determination are no joke. He's an incredible asset to the group and I'm glad he's back for another round!
2014-12-23 6:49 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
An abysmal run today. But I got it done. 4.63 mi. at a 10:13/mi pace. I went into glycogen overload on mile 2, and spent the next 2.5 miles walking/running. It doesn't matter if your running 2 miles or 20, when your body is depleted of fuel, and starts using muscle as fuel, look out. I'm still dizzy an hour later, and I haven't even had my first beverage of the evening.

Taking the kids out to see the lights tonight.

Merry Christmas all.

2014-12-24 12:43 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Returning member, thank you for the invite!

NAME: Mark (aka MOlsen, as Mark is so common it's easier to go by first/last name combo)

STORY: The beginning of my story is told here in a BT "First Tri" article: 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2515

This year I did a bunch of sprints, my first Olympic distance triathlon, and wrapping up the season with my 4th half-marathon of the year as part of the California Half series.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my lovely wife Stephanie, no kids.

CURRENT TRAINING: I run 3-4 times a week, commute on my bike to work ~3 days with a long bike on Saturday, swim 2-3 days. My focus for the off-season is to improve my swimming before OWS season starts again.

2015 RACES: About 3 sprints, a couple Olys, and a couple HM's.

BEER PREFERENCE: Pale and hoppy. Fresh bright hops that balance well. Being in California grants me access to a bounty of wonderful IPA's from San Diego and northern California.

WEIGHT LOSS: I need to drop at least 10 pounds of "holiday weight" and would like to trim down to 175 by mid race season.

2014-12-25 2:26 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Hi Mark - Welcome back!

I agree - Southern California produces some of my favorite IPA's - Greenflash is one of my favorites!

Good luck to you in your races - looks like a pretty good schedule! Are their any goals you're working on? As always, let us know how we can support you.

I hope you are enjoying your holiday!

2014-12-25 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kevinbe

An abysmal run today. But I got it done. 4.63 mi. at a 10:13/mi pace. I went into glycogen overload on mile 2, and spent the next 2.5 miles walking/running. It doesn't matter if your running 2 miles or 20, when your body is depleted of fuel, and starts using muscle as fuel, look out. I'm still dizzy an hour later, and I haven't even had my first beverage of the evening.

Taking the kids out to see the lights tonight.

Merry Christmas all.

Sorry to hear about your crappy run! Hell, you're almost running "Qua pace"! Luckily, a couple of IPA's should take care of what ales you (so to speak)

How's Christmas going on the Left Coast?
2014-12-25 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
Merry Christmas BDASers!

Today was a good day. My wife bought me the Garmin 910 and after drooling over it for he last three years, it did not disappoint. After opening up the presents with the fam, I went out for a ride and it was glorious! How do you beat a sunny 55 degree day in December??? I rode through Chancellorsville Battle Field and I was the only one out. It was awesome! My new Oakleys are amazing and really helped me to see things in the road. I've never ridden with prescription lenses before and it was so helpful to avoid the small bumpsin the road.

Back home now and I'm gonna go to work making dinner at the in-laws. I want to wish y'all a fantastic holiday.

There are no beers to be had here but yesterday I enjoyed a local brewery called Devil's Backbone. They make a tasty IPA called 8 Point IPA - you would have loved it Kevin and Mark. So hoppy!
2014-12-25 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
That all sounds good David. The Garmin, Oakleys, ride and beer.

Had a few Christmas mumosa's here opening presents with the family. A real treat. I've really gotten soft over the years. Did enjoy some Inversion IPA's by Deschutes the other evening. That's my stand by IPA. Too much rich food. I'm going on a plan after the new year. I do it every year, but if I can get a few good weeks and months in, it's better than just eating crapp% the rest of the year.

I got a 4.16 mile speed workout in today. Managed 7:45/mi pace. Slowly shaving it off as I increase mileage. 8.25 mile long run planned this weekend.

Mark, Great to see you still up and running. Your a model of consistency.

Enjoy your time all.

2014-12-25 4:24 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Hi old friends at BDAS! Would love to join once more season. Into triathlons since 2 years, did my first sprint summer 2013, one more sprint June 2014 and 2 Olys inf July and October 2014. Winter season just running and bit of spinning indoor. 2015 races: HM February 1st and A Race will be HIM in May 2015. Married for 18 years, kids 14 and 15, and working too many hours to be consistent with my training, but trying.

Learning much from this fun group (not only about tris but also about beer, I am more of a wine drinker, thought beer was dull and always pilsner, but hey, there is a huge world out there!). Happy to see some other triathletes of this group enjoy good wines!

Merry X-mas to all and happy, healthy and great 2015!
2014-12-26 11:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Merry Christmas everyone. Glad to see you guys will be around for another year.

I was able to run with my wife for 3 miles on Christmas day (my mother watched out daughter). She runs slower than I do but it was nice to have a partner to run with and she ran her fastest 5k so I hoped I helped push her. Bike shop called today and I am picking up my bike Monday.

Edited by b2b14 2014-12-26 11:22 AM
2014-12-26 1:01 PM

User image

, Vermont
Hi, Dave! I was wondering if I might be able to join again? I'll get a bio up when I can.

Merry Christmas to all! Wow, I'm impressed with the workouts on Christmas! I'm coming off an injury so I'm getting fired up to go. Hubby got me some sweet tri gear for Christmas and I can't wait to put it to use! Heck, my wetsuit is still hanging from the closet door!! (hubby calls it my superhero suit).
Spinning and swimming on Saturday if we don't ski (lots of rain here over the last few days). Getting together with a few friends to do this with whom I'll be doing the Adirondack HIM with next August. Can't wait!

Nothing but good is coming in 2015, everyone; positive vibes, stay healthy and on track!

All my best to everyone,
Jenn
2014-12-26 7:29 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Juancho

Hi old friends at BDAS! Would love to join once more season. Into triathlons since 2 years, did my first sprint summer 2013, one more sprint June 2014 and 2 Olys inf July and October 2014. Winter season just running and bit of spinning indoor. 2015 races: HM February 1st and A Race will be HIM in May 2015. Married for 18 years, kids 14 and 15, and working too many hours to be consistent with my training, but trying.

Learning much from this fun group (not only about tris but also about beer, I am more of a wine drinker, thought beer was dull and always pilsner, but hey, there is a huge world out there!). Happy to see some other triathletes of this group enjoy good wines!

Merry X-mas to all and happy, healthy and great 2015!

Hola Juan! Welcome back. As I always says - it doesn't matter what motivates you - beer / wine/ or taunts by your 14 year old - all that matters is that you do the work.

I've been getting into wines recently. I like the fruity notes of a pino grigio or a sauv. blanc. Any suggestions?
2014-12-26 7:35 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Hi, Dave! I was wondering if I might be able to join again? I'll get a bio up when I can.

Merry Christmas to all! Wow, I'm impressed with the workouts on Christmas! I'm coming off an injury so I'm getting fired up to go. Hubby got me some sweet tri gear for Christmas and I can't wait to put it to use! Heck, my wetsuit is still hanging from the closet door!! (hubby calls it my superhero suit).
Spinning and swimming on Saturday if we don't ski (lots of rain here over the last few days). Getting together with a few friends to do this with whom I'll be doing the Adirondack HIM with next August. Can't wait!

Nothing but good is coming in 2015, everyone; positive vibes, stay healthy and on track!

All my best to everyone,
Jenn

Hey Jenn: Thanks for joining us again this year! You came a long way in 2014 and I'm sure you will have an ever better 2015! What races are you going to sign up for? We should see if we could do a race together. I met a few BDASers last year and it was a good time. I know you live a few hours north of me but perhaps we could find a race in between Boston and where you live. With your speed, you could squeeze in a beer or two before coming back to the finish to see me cross the line.

I'm loving all the positive vibes - keep those going and let us know how we can support you.

DQ

2014-12-26 7:42 PM

User image

Expert
Hi All - I hope everyone is enjoying a good start to their weekend!

Today, the fam and I went into Washington DC to check out the Lincoln Memorial and the Christmas Trees from all the states. It was a beautiful day - how do you beat mid-50's a sunny in late December. I got in a decent walk - nothing too taxing and was hoping to get in a run this evening. It didn't happen, so my plan is to take advantage of the last nice day and use it to get in one last ride. It won't be this warm for me until April - unless I win the lottery or Alex and I decide to switch lives

Tomorrow, as a reward, I'm taking a break from the in-laws and driving down to Richmond to sample the beer at Hardywood Brewery. It should be good. If it's half as good as the Bell's Two Hearted Ale I enjoyed today at lunch, I will be totally happy!
2014-12-27 2:33 PM

User image

Did 4 yesterday and going to get in 3 today.

Dave if you like 2 hearted you should brew dead ringer from northern brewer.
2014-12-27 9:15 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

Thx Dave, you may be overstating how much I help, but I sure learned a lot.

NAME: Scott

sCOTT - The tip about Northern Brewer is just part of what I was talking about. Not only are you a triathlete and a beer lover - but a home brewer as well! A triple threat!
2014-12-28 4:11 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Question to this young, ´rejuvenated´ group: now that we are in off-season, I am considering to upgrade my bike. I have a carbon frame, road bike that keeps me very happy, but: do you think it is worth it to change the seat as well as an inverted shank (plus aerobars) for a HIM or would you recommend to consider changing to a real tri-bike? Any suggestions are welcome.

White wine, Dave, from my point of view, has to be easy to drink - as with reds. Anything that reminds you green apples and citrus for me is very good, whatever the experts may say. But, any mediocre red will be better than best white, plus, is significantly healthier (antioxidants, resveratrol...)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54086 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.