BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-03-28 9:14 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Alex Sounds like you got this HIM all wrapped up man, I am sure you will destroy those hills!

Charles That is a sweet ride for a sweet deal man, single track is so much fun!

Geaux Great race!

2015-03-29 4:49 AM

User image

Great job to everyone. As we all get closer (or have already started) our seasons, the desire to do well grows.

I finally got back on track this week with 2 swims, 1 run, and 3 rides. About a month ago I invested in some swim fins to try to improve my pathetic kick and finally got the chance to use them this week. Holy eye-opener. Two laps was plenty to identify where all the weak muscles are, and the fins definitely let you know if you're doing it right. I'm not. But I am learning quickly. The run was 3.5 miles on the treadmill set on random incline. Take out the warm-up portion, and I averaged about a 9:15/mile pace which for me is blazing fast. Last year at this time I was happy with 10:30. I sure did feel the wrath of the effort over the next couple of days, hence only the one run. Better to let the soreness abate before piling more on top of it. I did back to back 25 mile rides Thursday and Friday, including a jaunt up Rist Canyon, our local HC climb. I figured what with being in better shape than last year and about 10 pounds lighter it should be easier. Ummm, no. Still hurts. A lot. On the plus side, I did set several PR's on the Strava segments, so I got that going for me. Speaking of Strava, I finally upgraded to premium, mostly so I can filter the segment rankings by age and weight. In this land where you can't swing a cat without hitting a Cat 1 racer it can be a little demoralizing to see your PR on a segment puts you at 1280th out of 1450. But by filtering out all the young, skinny people, your ranking jumps up into the realm of respectability. Its the little things that make it all worthwhile. Anyhoo...I felt so good with my rides, and the weather has been so nice, I turned my commute to work into a 30 mile ride tonight, which put me only 22 miles away from my goal of 300 for the month. So close.
2015-03-29 10:53 AM

User image

Track race was awesome last night. I didn't do as well as I wanted to do but it was incredible fun. I placed 13 of 18. I felt really strong but I got boxed in and couldn't get around in time (elimination race: every 2 laps last rider across the line is eliminated). The guy who won it is a national team rider (will probably see him in 2016 in Rio) so it was tough competition. 

(10947383_10155373865190302_6898392227897029915_o.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
10947383_10155373865190302_6898392227897029915_o.jpg (102KB - 5 downloads)
2015-03-29 11:02 AM
in reply to: #5104271

User image

DeLand, Florida
Dave O - fantastic job all around!!!!!!

Charles - sweet score!

SoberMike - welcome back to your workouts. Good show for a first week back!
2015-03-29 11:03 AM
in reply to: #5104434

User image

DeLand, Florida
Alan - that's some serious business right there. Great job!
2015-03-29 2:26 PM
in reply to: #5104435

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wow! It's definitely spring! Seems like people are really upping their training!

Charles- nice looking bike!

I am one week into my running program and feel good. Today I did a 45 minute run and started u a hill that was a challenge on my bike last year. I feel a lot stronger this year.

My roommate from 2000 was in town fri and sat and convinced me to pull out my very dusty tele skis. So after two days on tele skis and my longest run in nearly two years I had a pretty active weekend.

2015-03-29 3:40 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Ugh :/

Woke up today, to find that cold I was fighting off at the beginning of the week back with a vengeance. Zero airflow through my nose, and I'm coughing up a storm...

And then to add to that, my legs are toast from yesterday's race..i can hardly walk on them..

I guess on the brightside, today is a rest day, so there's still the chance of clearing it up before tomorrow for my long ride and swim practice.

Now I just need to get a set of recovery socks to help my legs out..
2015-03-29 7:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Check in: No workout today, I took a day off to recover. Back to the grind tomorrow.

Gear I am now the owner of a base Wahoo Tickr.
- I calculated my zones with this website: http://www.briancalkins.com/HeartRate.htm
- I found a 16 week RPE/Zone based Olympic training plan that looks interesting.
- My target Tri is exactly 16 weeks from my half marathon. Almost like I planned it that way.

Beer I had a Burning River Pale Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Company. I like their beers.

Edited by Snewo 2015-03-29 7:31 PM
2015-03-29 7:42 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

, Vermont
Wow, nice planning Dave O!

Alan - I'm not sure which one you are, but a very cool picture!! I feel like it's a brush with fame kind of thing.

1.5 bike yesterday (was supposed to be 2 but lots of family stuff going on so I took what I could get). I love having the speed and cadence sensors on my bike for the trainer - gives me a small clue as to what I'm doing.
Supposed to have had a 1 hour small ring spin tonight - but again, family and work had to take priority.

I had my MRI Friday night - they told me they got good images and I asked them to burn a cd for me, which they did. I haven't looked at it yet though I will soon. My follow-up is Tuesday so I'm very curious to see what's going on. It's not better and actually it's starting to bother me with walking on a treadmill now. Hhhmmmm... Patience, grasshopper, this too shall come to pass.

Lots of flying this week so the beverages will have to wait until next weekend! LOL

Gretchen, I can't wait to see pictures!! Maybe you'll inspire some women over there to get out and run!

Dave Q - I know the weather is getting better there, but I still have snow in my yard...
2015-03-29 8:28 PM

User image

Originally posted by Snewo Check in: No workout today, I took a day off to recover. Back to the grind tomorrow. Gear I am now the owner of a base Wahoo Tickr. - I calculated my zones with this website: http://www.briancalkins.com/HeartRate.htm- I found a 16 week RPE/Zone based Olympic training plan that looks interesting. - My target Tri is exactly 16 weeks from my half marathon. Almost like I planned it that way. Beer I had a Burning River Pale Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Company. I like their beers.

I highly recommend basing your zones on a threshold test. Those formulas do not at all account for individual fitness and genetics. Go for a 20 minute run giving it all you got and base your zones on the HR and pace of the test. It'll be much more accurate and you'll see better improvements in performance. 

2015-03-29 8:29 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802  Alan - I'm not sure which one you are, but a very cool picture!!  

I'm in the middle of the V in the grey sleeves and red vest. 

2015-03-29 10:22 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Hey Guys,

I probably missed it, but can we order the shirts now?
2015-03-29 10:45 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by justinfss

Hey Guys,

I probably missed it, but can we order the shirts now?

Order away!
2015-03-29 11:05 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Thanks Dave, I just saw your post saying as much as well.
2015-03-29 11:16 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Bike Jersey Ordered!!!

Thanks Dave for all your work on this, looking forward to wearing my BDAS jersey with pride. I noticed that we only have until the 31st of MArch to get the order in so lets everyone get on board! only one day left to order. Looking forward to all the selfies and jersey shots of the team!
2015-03-30 12:00 AM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania

Bike Jersey Ordered!!!

Thanks Dave for all your work on this, looking forward to wearing my BDAS jersey with pride. I noticed that we only have until the 31st of MArch to get the order in so lets everyone get on board! only one day left to order. Looking forward to all the selfies and jersey shots of the team!

I don't think that's the deadline, at least they didn't make it obvious in any communication. I think they are just indicating that their plan is to do the run of our shirts at that time since it's most likely easier to run multiples at once. I suspect that the date will be bumped back again after March 31st to say....April 15 and all orders made after March 31st won't be run until then. We can check that out in a few days. Hopefully everyone who wants a shirt gets their order in though so that they get it asap. I ordered a cycling jersey. I plan to wear it to both my practice tri in June and my target tri in August. I don't have anyone doing it with me, so I'm sure that the jersey will be a conversation starter with the other competitors.

2015-03-30 12:40 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Ok, cool sounds good!

I am excited! hopefully it wont be pushed back too far!
2015-03-30 7:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

DeLand, Florida
That's good that we'll be able to order more in the future. I was going to get one of each - then at the last minute decided to go with just the tri top.

BTW Jenn - not sure how it looks in Dave's neighborhood, but in mine we're still about 50% snow cover. And it's snowing today. Again.

Edited by firebert 2015-03-30 9:39 AM
2015-03-30 10:32 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Just signed up for 2 races for the whole family. June 20 weekend and July 11 weekend!! It gets expensive registering 2 adults and 2 kids...oh well pay now or pay later...

Also last night my son was on his road bike for the first time clipped in...and he fell...scraped knee, bruised ego but in good spirits. He wants to go for a ride again tonight.

2015-03-30 11:37 AM
in reply to: GeauxHard

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by GeauxHard

Saturday update... RACE DAY!

A fairly large group of coworkers got together this morning for the Epilepsy Foundation seize the day 1 mile fun run and 5k. One of our coworkers daughters suffers from a rare form of epilepsy, and we lost a coworker a little over a year ago to epilepsy, so the foundation holds a big place in our hearts at work. We hit our goal of raising $3000 this year, and had around 30-40 people from work show up to walk the fun run together. The fun run for me turned into watching over the bosses grandson who wanted to run most of the mile...which turned into a mile and a half or so..so before the 5k I had already ran more than I have been with my training plan 0.o

Stretched out and let my heart rate settle a little before the 5k started.. I got into what I though was gonna be a good starting spot..ended up getting stuck behind a car they started the race from for a solid 20-30 seconds. Settled into a decent pace...there was WAY more hills than I was expecting, 80% of the course was probably climbing.

The course was through LSU's campus, started and ended next to Death Valley..which was an awesome feeling. Back half of the course was through sorority Rowe, along side the campus lakes...happened to notice a group of sorority girls behind me...decided to drop off pace a bit for a little drafting Picked up the pace the last 100yds or so, got up on my toes as best I could, past a couple people on the final stretch..

What surprised me more was the fact that I finished 25th out of 420! Considering I've never even attempted a 5k in training, much less in a race, I was shocked.

Now I just gotta get my calfs loose, I've gotta work tonight 0.o

Great work! I am working on catching up so you might have already said this, but what was your time? Congrats!
2015-03-30 11:41 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Snewo

Race Day Summary The original plan was to run with my buddy for the first 3 miles until after the big hill and then try running race pace for a few. I was going to treat it like a training day. Instead, my buddy dropped off immediately so I changed the plan to a race day practice run. I started at a comfortable pace and after warming up I improved the pace throughout the race. I didn't push myself too hard, but I modeled the curve of what I would like to do come half marathon day.

I've only done one other 10 mile race in the past (this one last year). It's obvious that the training I've been doing with your guidance/support/motivation/etc. has better prepared me. Here are a couple of notes:

- Things don't hurt right now (specifically calves). They hurt immediately last year and I was 9 minutes slower. I'll check in on DOMS in a day or two.
- I didn't walk anything this year, last year I did - a lot.
- The hills didn't kick my butt as much, training more on hills this time must have helped.
- I could have taken this to 13.1 today easily. Last year I was DONE!
- I was the passer when the going got tough, not the passee
- The weather was 29F and breezy. Last year was 44F. So one could argue the conditions were worse...at least for those near me to hear me whine about the cold.

So in summary, when you prepare better you do better and feel better. Hmmm...

Results PR time - 1:39.00 (9 min improvement); Pace: 9:52 Continuing this pace would give me a 2:09ish half marathon time, that's a PR by 12 minutes, but I still have 3 weeks. Also the HM course isn't hilly like this one was, so I hope to improve on this by default.

Beer I swung by the local beer authority to get my deserved reward (in full gear on the way home). I wanted Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel, but I had to go with the regular. Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse is one of my favorite beers. I like trying new ones, but today was not that day.

Great job on the PR! Sounds like you've improved by leaps and bounds in just a year!

2015-03-30 11:43 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by firebert

Alan - that's some serious business right there. Great job!

Ditto to that! Which one are you in the pic?! That is a sweet aerial shot!
2015-03-30 12:00 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
It's always fun catching up on everyone's posts. Alan, I saw your post about which one you are, so no need to repeat :-)

I had an okay training weekend. My hip has still been bothering me. I have had issues since HS track. My right leg is shorter than my left, so they said it was dropping when I ran. I used to have a lift in my orthotic (the difference is only half an inch, you wouldn't think that would be so bad!), but those wore out, so I may need to do something about it soon.

I ran Saturday morning. It was quite cold (we had this weird white stuff falling from the sky...). I had to stop after 35 min and ran way slower than I have been the last 2 weeks (about 10 minute pace by the end). Every step sent pain shooting through my hip. No bueno.

I swam Sunday morning. Took it easy, but my shoulder still got pretty sore and fatigued very quickly. I am going to try to get in the pool at least one more time this week and start rebuilding my strength. A couple times when it felt tight I just did a stretch (held the deck and twisted so my arm went back and stretched my chest/front shoulder). It seemed to help, so I think I just need to keep working.

As for weight, I woke up Saturday and was back down to 152 (3-4 lbs since Tuesday). What a difference eating well makes! I didn't snack much at all last week, ate salad for lunch, made healthy dinners and started running again. It made me feel SO good. I have already prepped my meals for the week and am hoping to get down to 150 at least before the weekend (so I can gorge myself on momma's food and honeybaked ham this weekend ).

2015-03-30 2:22 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Veteran
Illinois

So, I wasted zero time taking out the new bike:

First time I've really done any mountain biking - it's pretty different, and it feels odd spinning the rear wheel in the mud.  Lots of fun though.

2015-03-30 3:19 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Snewo

Bike Jersey Ordered!!! Thanks Dave for all your work on this, looking forward to wearing my BDAS jersey with pride. I noticed that we only have until the 31st of MArch to get the order in so lets everyone get on board! only one day left to order. Looking forward to all the selfies and jersey shots of the team!

I don't think that's the deadline, at least they didn't make it obvious in any communication. I think they are just indicating that their plan is to do the run of our shirts at that time since it's most likely easier to run multiples at once. I suspect that the date will be bumped back again after March 31st to say....April 15 and all orders made after March 31st won't be run until then. We can check that out in a few days. Hopefully everyone who wants a shirt gets their order in though so that they get it asap. I ordered a cycling jersey. I plan to wear it to both my practice tri in June and my target tri in August. I don't have anyone doing it with me, so I'm sure that the jersey will be a conversation starter with the other competitors.

Looks like I may have missed a post about ordering jerseys. Is there a link or something I should follow?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54285 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.