BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-04-23 1:47 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
I would totally put on speed laces! I also would try going sockless for both bike and run for shorter races Oly and under. I use Yankz on my shoes.

Also, I practiced foot to bike to foot transitions a few days out, and it got me a top 5 T1 time in a race! Go to a track. Run a lap, transition to bike, ride a lap, transition to run. Do that a few times. Really helps!

Speaking of tri shoes...
I have a pair that are too small for me. Wore them back in '09/'10 for a few races anyway. They are awesome! Anyone need them?
Size 10.5 US men's. 10-11 should be just fine. I'm 11.5, and they are too tight in the toes.
Shimano TR51 (something like that). Blue and white, carbon fiber soles. Super awesome!

Email me if interested. [email protected]

2015-04-23 1:54 PM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

I got both a bike shirt and tri top. I also used the sizing info from the site and it was pretty much right on. I went with women's mediums and erred on the larger side when it was in between. I love them both.

I'd say the tri top is guaranteed to be see through. Definite undergarment requirement for the ladies.

Sandi
2015-04-23 2:59 PM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by fifthcircle

I would totally put on speed laces! I also would try going sockless for both bike and run for shorter races Oly and under. I use Yankz on my shoes.

Also, I practiced foot to bike to foot transitions a few days out, and it got me a top 5 T1 time in a race! Go to a track. Run a lap, transition to bike, ride a lap, transition to run. Do that a few times. Really helps!

Speaking of tri shoes...
I have a pair that are too small for me. Wore them back in '09/'10 for a few races anyway. They are awesome! Anyone need them?
Size 10.5 US men's. 10-11 should be just fine. I'm 11.5, and they are too tight in the toes.
Shimano TR51 (something like that). Blue and white, carbon fiber soles. Super awesome!

Email me if interested. [email protected]

email sent.
2015-04-23 9:13 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Back home and back into my routines, modified slightly by jetlag. Sunday was travel all day (44:45:xx to get home door to door--long trip) and then yesterday I was just so beaten up by the travel that I took a rest day. Up bright an early this morning for my normal spin class (139/400). Happy to find that even without having been within 100yds of a bicycle in over a month, I feel good after my class. Feeling like I won't fall off the bike during my tri this weekend. Tomorrow I MUST get to the pool. It is only 150m swim, but I want to make sure I remember how to swim before the race. My parents are coming to watch, so I don't want to embarrass myself!

Happy Training!

Can't wait to hear how it goes!!! Good luck, you'll be great!!!
2015-04-23 10:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Hi all!
First of all, John, it amazes me how you can summarize everyone's activities so concisely. LOL I feel like I can read your post and be up to date! That's awesome.

Second, my activity today was a nap. yep, you heard me right. I took a nap. I have been completely wiped out for about a month and last night I actually told my husband I need a vacation - I have never done that in my life. I love going places and all, but this is the first time I think I've ever actually said I needed a vacation. LOL. Weather held off our flight today so a group of us instructors got together and did a student brief to help them get ready for their oral exams with the FAA. Good stuff. My own kids have been on vacation this week so they've been coming with me to work (hubby's out of town all week). I am harboring guilt we haven't done anything cool and they've been stuck with their tablets (though I don't think they mind, but I do )(weather has been yucky all week). I have managed to get in a trainer ride yesterday and a swim early Tuesday before my hubby left and a short walk/run Monday so at least I haven't been completely idle.
But back to the nap - i never nap and i finally caved. and it was good... just short enough to wake me up a bit, but not so much to keep me awake tonight! Now...now I'm off to bed. I need to kill this cycle of late bedtimes - it's trashing me and I must take control of it.

There's a short TT race tomorrow evening i would love to do - but gosh, I haven't even been out on the road yet this year with this weather and I'm a bit nervous to jump right into it - also still have on the tire I've been using on my trainer all winter - bit worn and I've heard stories of people having ugly blowouts so I may hold off on this one. So exciting to maybe get involved with this stuff this summer to help my biking.

Okay, rambling!
Cheers!

Edited by aviatrix802 2015-04-23 10:07 PM
2015-04-24 10:02 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

, Vermont
Hey! It's snowing again, what do you know!! I think I'll get my skis back out! Hahaha!! Cracks me up. Not sure if that TT will go tonight... Might have to out chains on the tires. LOL
Truly, it takes a special kind to live here.

2015-04-24 11:09 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
143 & 144/400 today with a run this morning (2mi--it sucked) and a swim (1250yds--it was great) later. Tomorrow I am going to take off as a rest day before my race on Sunday.

Thanks for the advice about the laces. I'm going to give them a try (nothing new on race day? why would I follow that?!?).

Sorry to hear about snow Jenn.
2015-04-24 11:42 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Good luck, Gretchen!

Jenn, this is why I don't live in Canada...my roommate's fiancee is living up there now and he told me this morning that it snowed. I said 'you know you're moving there, right? Where it snows on April 24th.' Hope you get a ski session in at least!
2015-04-24 12:19 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Hey! It's snowing again, what do you know!! I think I'll get my skis back out! Hahaha!! Cracks me up. Not sure if that TT will go tonight... Might have to out chains on the tires. LOL
Truly, it takes a special kind to live here.

Jenn, different lifes in this 'global BDASS': anyone for a swim on the beach? I came for work to Alicante and see people swimming from my room!
2015-04-24 2:42 PM

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Really starting to get bummed out over here..

Still in a good bit of pain, have been out of everything but work for a week now..starting to go stir crazy :/

I think I may need to go back to the doctor..

Hope everyone else is doing well.
2015-04-24 2:47 PM
in reply to: GeauxHard

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by GeauxHard

Really starting to get bummed out over here..

Still in a good bit of pain, have been out of everything but work for a week now..starting to go stir crazy :/

I think I may need to go back to the doctor..

Hope everyone else is doing well.

This is the worst. Went through this last year with a stress fracture... Going from 6 or more workouts a week to even half, never mind less than that, it makes you miserable. No more workout endorphin release. I think this is why everyone goes nuts during pre-race taper. Hang in there bud, hopefully the doc says you can get back at it soon.

Just remember not to push it - as much as this sucks, making it worse and having to be out longer sucks more!!

2015-04-24 2:52 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Originally posted by nicole14e

Good luck, Gretchen!

Jenn, this is why I don't live in Canada...my roommate's fiancee is living up there now and he told me this morning that it snowed. I said 'you know you're moving there, right? Where it snows on April 24th.' Hope you get a ski session in at least!

Hey now, Canada is not that bad, a little cold yes..... but free health care for all, you dont have to worry about people walking around with handguns....etc.
2015-04-24 3:17 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by justinfss

Originally posted by nicole14e

Good luck, Gretchen!

Hey now, Canada is not that bad, a little cold yes..... but free health care for all, you dont have to worry about people walking around with handguns....etc.

Yes and apparently you eat 55% more Kraft Mac and Cheese than Americans. So you've got that going for you!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tanyachen/delightful-facts-about-canada#.ce...

2015-04-24 10:06 PM
in reply to: #5110499

User image

, Vermont
I suppose Vermont is almost in Canada! LOL

Short ride on the trainer tonight. My hubby still had soccer practice going for the kids...34 degrees. (Happy to be in my trainer in a warmer basement!)
2015-04-24 10:08 PM
in reply to: #5110705

User image

, Vermont
Ottawa apparently didn't get the memo on the no handgun thing..
2015-04-25 10:48 AM

So call me crazy...

I've been out of my routine since my crash last Friday...feeling like a bum...

Heard an advertisement on the radio on the way to work last night about a skin cancer awareness 5k at our local biomedical research facility...and it was today.

Decided to go out this morning and run it.

And somehow, even with recovering from my crash...I PR'd

Although I went out wayyyyyyy too fast(7:25/mi) I dialed it back a good bit and settled in near the turn around. Finished in a 26:20, 34th overall, 4th in my AG(top 3 guys went sub 20:00).

The only thing I kept thinking about during the run is seeing these little signs along the way with the name of cancer survivors...the discomfort I was feeling didn't hold a candle to what they went through..so I just put my head down and kept chasing down the person in front of me.

Was probably a dumb idea jumping back in with both feet so soon after an injury, but oh well. Lol.

2015-04-26 12:12 PM
in reply to: GeauxHard

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by GeauxHard

Was probably a dumb idea jumping back in with both feet so soon after an injury, but oh well. Lol.

Great job, and well done!! It is a clear demonstration of mind power and win-win challenge, you help them, they help you
Congratulations!!

Juan
2015-04-26 12:15 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

New user
Madrid
Today was a big racing day in Madrid, local marathon day so city closed to traffic. My wife did the 10k so run with her the first 5k, then continued to HM and really enjoyed the race. It was raining a bit, but being part of the R&R franchise, every 5k there was a great band to cheer runners, crossed the finish line in 1.40 so VERY happy - in 1 month doing my first HIM, this was a very reassuring training race!

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Juan
2015-04-26 9:01 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Today was my half marathon. I've been quiet in the forum this week while I was going stir crazy tapering. Evil Dave (the devil on my shoulder with a goatee) had some bad ideas this week and I may have taken carb loading a little beyond where it is supposed to be, but I'm convinced that I didn't let it impact my results. I ended up getting a PR and even beat my goal. I made some mistakes, but it was a good day.

Race Report

The St. Luke's Half Marathon attracts around 2500 runners for the half (another 500 for the 5K) and is one of the largest volunteer run races in the country. Even the expo for picking up the bib on Saturday is an event. I was watching the weather all week and originally the weather was expected to be overcast and cold. It turned out to be perfect. It was 42F at race start and sunny. No breeze made it a race that you can easily do with shorts and a long sleeve tech shirt. It warmed up to high 50's by my finish time. At the lineup before the start, I found my way to my target pace group (2:10) and introduced myself to Ingrid the "holder of the pace sign". That's about 12 minutes faster than last year (my first half) and right on pace with where I should finish according to my 10 miler race a few weeks ago. I went out just a tad faster than target pace to put some space between Ingrid and myself. My plan was to have her at my back the whole race. I personally find it easier to try to speed up slightly at the start instead of trying to reel in someone at the end of the race. That is a glaring indication of inadequate conditioning, but I'm getting there...give me time. I had my phone in my pocket yelling out the pace, time, distance, etc. but it was too loud to hear the phone in my pocket with the crowds or the 13 live bands along the way. I was pacing myself blindly, which I realize isn't the best thing to do, but oh well. I'm sure it's no shock to you guys that the atmosphere had me go out faster than planned. I had a great 10K time at the splits! Right around mile 8 things started to catch up with me and my pace began to slow. I was so far ahead of my target pace that I could handle a little run/walk though and I used that plan to make it the rest of the way (much more run than walk though). I beat my target time of 2:10 by ~2 minutes (2:08:05) and improved my PR from last fall's 2:21:05. The goal of my first half was to finish <2:30 and run the whole way. I really didn't have a goal for the second one, but today's goal was to significantly improve on last year. It's really nice to see the results when you put in the work. I was probably on pace for 2:05:00 when I had to start a run/walk to finish. What that tells me is that I just need to do a little more training next time and that is absolutely a reachable goal. The <2:00:00 holy grail is starting to get within reach too.

Random Thoughts

- When a vegetarian plans the race, he also plans for all post race snacks to be meatless. That being said...black bean brownies and pierogi vegetable soup were both good.

- I didn't need the baked potato aluminum foil emergency blanket this year.

- So far so good, I feel better than last year. That's not to say that various muscles aren't annoyed with me, they're just quieter than last year.

- Funniest Sign I saw this year: "Bib #2985 is single and hot. Go catch up with her."

- Best Sign This Year: Right behind a Water/Gatorade table was an impromptu table with a sign that said "PBR" (Pabst Blue Ribbon) Many folks, but not me, partook in the glorious alcohol nectar of the gods.

- Body Glide works

Beer Reward

I went to our local beer mecca and grabbed beer with a theme yesterday. I grabbed a case from America's Oldest Brewery (Yuengling Lager) and a case of dark wheat (dunkel) from the World's Oldest Brewery (Weihenstephan). The beer rewards ceremony begins when the kids go to bed, which is right NOW!

(me.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
me.jpg (58KB - 2 downloads)
2015-04-26 9:16 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

congrats on our HM runners this weekend!

Like the race report dave. You guys rock

today was my day off. I ran yesterday and had some major pain in my right hip flexor which lead to some slow times. it loosened up around mile 5. I then spent the last 2 days helping one of my best friends move from about an hour away to 6 miles from my house. We will be celebrating with many beers and a short cab ride home. Just so happens his wife is my wife's best friend and they have a daughter 6 months older than mine (who is her BFF). Tomorrow I am planning a 1hr run, then I need to bottle some wine and rack 2 other batches and brew an Imperial IPA since I have kicked the Belgian that I had on tap.

Wore my BDAS tri top on my bike ride Friday and it did not seem to be see though, tight but not see though.
2015-04-26 9:39 PM
in reply to: #5110706

User image

DeLand, Florida
Great work on the half marathons guys! Dave epic race report. Love it.

2015-04-27 7:02 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Dave--congrats on the HM! Sounds like you had a good time!

I had my super-sprint yesterday. I posted a race report (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=531423), but let me just sum it all up by saying thank goodness I signed up for the super spring and not the long sprint! I have never been so happy to see the "bike in" sign, even if it was at the top of a(nother) m-f-ing hill. The race was described a "pancake flat". Well, I don't know where the heck the RD gets his pancakes, but whomever is making them needs to stir more--they are obviously lumpy. The bike was an out and back and going out we had to battle headwinds (obviously, nothing the RD can do about that). Coming back, we had the tailwind, but it was uphill most of the way. The hills weren't steep, but they were long and slow...very very slow for some of us. Both the bike and run finishes were up pretty steep hills, which sucked. Run course was also described as flat, but had several small hills. My parents came out to see the finish and they told me several people were complaining about the run course. Overall, I was really happy with my swim time, happy with my run time, but very unhappy with my bike time. Race was pretty unorganized, with lots of down time, lots of being late (something that drives me crazy) and lots of little touches missed. Post-race festivities were nothing to speak of, and there was little to no food (and I wasn't last in, so it isn't that they just ran out).

Overall, I'm happy to have done it. The race kept me training in Egypt, which was why I signed up. Plus, I got to go out to lunch with my parents afterwards, which is always nice.

A little sore today in my legs and especially groin muscles (which I'm guessing is from standing on the bike?!?!). Have a swim planned for later this morning to work out some of the kinks.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
2015-04-27 8:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Dave- way to go! Great time!
Gretchen- good job! I hate disorganization at races. And unexpected hills.
My marathon is Sunday! I'm alternating between super excited, and worried because if you're not on track to finish in less than 6 hours they sweep you off the course, and no metal. Realistically I know that won't happen... but...
Anyways, looking forward to carb loading! And of course I'm obsessively checking the weather, the consensus for the past few days has been 74* and partly sunny, though it won't reach that until I'm finished running. Which is good since it snowed last weekend, and no one around here is acclimated!
2015-04-27 9:18 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Check-in: I decided to try to avoid the post race depression by drowning my sorrows in the pool. 2000yds later I feel much better. I gave the legs the night off and used the pull buoy the whole time...mainly because they are screaming at me with a "legs version" of some choice four letter words.

Gretchen Sorry that your race experience wasn't as good as mine. I think you have a good way of looking at it though.

Christina Good luck on your race this weekend. You already did the snow thing...hopefully it'll be nice. I'm considering a full marathon mid-November, so I'm looking forward to your race report.
2015-04-28 2:19 AM
in reply to: firebert

Enjoyed reading the AAR's from everyone's races this past weekend! Great job everyone!

Well, today was my first day back on my bike since the wreck.

The plan was to get an afternoon ride in around a small loop nearby to gauge my pain level..well a long stint at the casino last night, decided to leave when the weather alert came on saying there was a tornado watch in the area, and a tornado warning to the north...before I could make it to my car all hell broke loose..thank god for driving a Mini Cooper, I was able to fit up onto a large sidewalk to avoid some of the flood water, or else I wasn't going to make it out of town...after an hour and a half to drive 10 miles home, avoiding routes covered in trees and powerlines, I decided that an outdoor ride wasn't the best idea.

I did however set up my trainer and got a short ride in while watching some kona footage. I'm a little sore from being back on the bike, but nothing that's bad enough to keep my off anymore.

Going to see how the weather is in the morning and try and get in some distance tomorrow.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54337 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.