BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-05-23 9:49 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Originally posted by chayes

Originally posted by Qua17

I got my swim in this morning and plan on biking and doing PT when I get home from work. Still working on the mojo - and battling the thought of another week in a difficult job but I only need to make it through another 18 days.

I had two ideas while I was swimming - 1) It might be cool to skype or do a google hangout some night or weekend. That way we could connect a real face to a screen name. We could even figure out a way of including beer. Thoughts?

2nd Idea - I would love to do a monthly challenge against another mentor group. We have talked about it but its never happened. We could do a weight loss or a workout challenge or something like that. Of course we would win since we are the best damn group on BT but it might be fun. Thoughts?

Anyone want to throw out a topic for the week? Anyone racing this weekend?

I do like the idea of the weight loss challenge. I think this winter in this group we did a thing where we said how much we wanted to lose- I think that's a better way to do it than total pounds lost.
But- I think we need something real at stake. Just bragging rights... or looking better in pictures... or being faster... hasn't worked for me so far for motivation.

Christina - A thought on the weight loss challenge. Three years ago - we did a "bet" where 4 BDASers (Thor, Kevin, DH, me) set a goal for ourselves over a 2 month period. The bet went like this - if you lost the weight - you won and didn't have to give up anything. But if you lost - and didn't make your goal - than you needed to send a $25 check card to all the winners. Maybe we could do that again. If there was more than 3 or 4 people interested - we could break it up into groups.

Is anyone interested?

2015-05-23 9:51 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
I rode for 35 miles today - my longest ride in a LONG time! It was great to get past the thirty mile mark and even though it took my almost 2.5 hours - I felt like I had accomplished something!

Then tonight - I took my sons to see Age of Ultron. It was great!

Oh - and the best part of the day - I lost 2.4 pounds this week.

Onward!
2015-05-24 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

I got my swim in this morning and plan on biking and doing PT when I get home from work. Still working on the mojo - and battling the thought of another week in a difficult job but I only need to make it through another 18 days.

I had two ideas while I was swimming - 1) It might be cool to skype or do a google hangout some night or weekend. That way we could connect a real face to a screen name. We could even figure out a way of including beer. Thoughts?

2nd Idea - I would love to do a monthly challenge against another mentor group. We have talked about it but its never happened. We could do a weight loss or a workout challenge or something like that. Of course we would win since we are the best damn group on BT but it might be fun. Thoughts?

I do like the idea of the weight loss challenge. I think this winter in this group we did a thing where we said how much we wanted to lose- I think that's a better way to do it than total pounds lost.
But- I think we need something real at stake. Just bragging rights... or looking better in pictures... or being faster... hasn't worked for me so far for motivation.

Christina - A thought on the weight loss challenge. Three years ago - we did a "bet" where 4 BDASers (Thor, Kevin, DH, me) set a goal for ourselves over a 2 month period. The bet went like this - if you lost the weight - you won and didn't have to give up anything. But if you lost - and didn't make your goal - than you needed to send a $25 check card to all the winners. Maybe we could do that again. If there was more than 3 or 4 people interested - we could break it up into groups.

Is anyone interested?

I am interested. Who else wants in?
2015-05-24 11:26 AM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Originally posted by justinfss

Is anyone interested?

wait, $25 Canadian right?? I dont know if i could afford $25 American .....
2015-05-24 12:36 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nicole-not sure how it would work with your finger- but I've swam with broken fingers a lot by just taping them really good to the one next to them.

I've also swam with a waterproof cast for a summer when I messed up my thumb/ wrist.
2015-05-25 8:06 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Jenn- ugh, sorry to hear that. Hope you like the saddle! If not you can always sell it on BT.
And Nicole- double ugh! Your poor finger!

2015-05-25 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Is anyone interested?

Yeah, I like this. Another thing I like is that it would motivate me to make a modest weight-loss goal.
2015-05-25 2:24 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

New user
Madrid
Nicole - so sorry to hear about your finger, but hey, this is a risky sport (look at Alan...) - hope you get better soon.

Jenn - I can see a "black market" is going on here, beer for maple syrup, I can offer you great tempranillo from my vineyard in trade of maple syrup in any form! All we get here is mainly substitutes, but when you get the real thing you get closer to heaven!

In 6 days my first HIM takes place: I am really excited, today it was a rest day and I am suffffffering as I really miss my work out. Meanwhile my bike is at the LBS so this weekend did 2h ride with my old mountain bike.....what a pain.....hope the get my race bike in 2 days, upgraded to Shimano 105 and new Vision carbon wheels (last minute decision), promise to post a pic to the new look!

Juan
2015-05-25 2:59 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Juancho

Nicole - so sorry to hear about your finger, but hey, this is a risky sport (look at Alan...) - hope you get better soon.

Jenn - I can see a "black market" is going on here, beer for maple syrup, I can offer you great tempranillo from my vineyard in trade of maple syrup in any form! All we get here is mainly substitutes, but when you get the real thing you get closer to heaven!

In 6 days my first HIM takes place: I am really excited, today it was a rest day and I am suffffffering as I really miss my work out. Meanwhile my bike is at the LBS so this weekend did 2h ride with my old mountain bike.....what a pain.....hope the get my race bike in 2 days, upgraded to Shimano 105 and new Vision carbon wheels (last minute decision), promise to post a pic to the new look!

Juan

Juan - Sorry to hear that the taper is driving you nuts. You know what cures that don't you - a well deserved bottle of wine. Seriously - that extra energy you feel means that your muscles are storing up the energy needed for you to have a blast next week. You are going to love it - maybe even more than the bike upgrades. Good luck!
2015-05-25 3:03 PM

User image

Expert
I had a thought about the weight loss challenge. We should go head to head against each other which would provide the following benefits 1) If you lose - you only lose $25 bucks. 2) We could pair people up into American or Canadian teams - that way the currency could be the same.

Thoughts?

DQ
2015-05-25 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
Yesterday before heading out for a wedding - I walked for 60 minutes with 3 minute long "bursts" of super slow jogging. Despite the caution - my left hip was still sore and dancing for 3 hours with a bunch of 20 something didn't help! So today I went on a slow recovery ride and am icing the hip and the knee like it's my job. The pain is from the extra weight and it's my own damn fault - but it's still a pain in the a$$ (or pretty close to it!).

Question about nutrition - I'm trying to find cheaper ways of fueling my longer rides and am trying out Ritz crackers. When I did my ironman - I ate saltines along with a bars and gus (what was available to me on the course). Is eating ritz a good idea? Can anyone think of an easier or cheaper alternative?

Did anyone race today?

2015-05-25 3:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17 Yesterday before heading out for a wedding - I walked for 60 minutes with 3 minute long "bursts" of super slow jogging. Despite the caution - my left hip was still sore and dancing for 3 hours with a bunch of 20 something didn't help! So today I went on a slow recovery ride and am icing the hip and the knee like it's my job. The pain is from the extra weight and it's my own damn fault - but it's still a pain in the a$$ (or pretty close to it!). Question about nutrition - I'm trying to find cheaper ways of fueling my longer rides and am trying out Ritz crackers. When I did my ironman - I ate saltines along with a bars and gus (what was available to me on the course). Is eating ritz a good idea? Can anyone think of an easier or cheaper alternative? Did anyone race today?

You should get Kevin to send you some of his smoked fish...

2015-05-25 3:47 PM

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802

Here you go!

This is awesome, I would bath in maple syrup if it was socially acceptable, and in anyway hygenic.

We took a guy on my team and filled his soap container with maple syrup (more like cheap dyed sugar water). It was hilarious.

Nicole- sorry about surgery I just had some on my elbow, trust me let it heal and you will come out the other side fine.

I am not sure if I am in on the weight loss challenge or not. I would like to be, but I am losing weight with the IM training without trying and not sure I want to stop eating as much. I ate a dozen duck donuts in 2 days last week and am still down 20 lbs from where I started. if I don't stop I'll be out of clyd division and have to compete with all you fast guys.
2015-05-26 5:50 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

maybe I can join by cutting my dessert intake. No more than one a week for the challenge. If everyone agrees that is ok for me. I have a sweet tooth and eat way too many sweets.
2015-05-26 8:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e

Thanks I will be having surgery in 2-3 weeks, which means I will be out for at least another month after that. Super bummed, but it could be worse. While I was getting splinted, some guy was getting his hand fixed up b/c he cut off the tips of his middle, ring and pinky finger...always gotta find the silver lining!

Have a great Memorial Day weekend everyone!

So sorry to hear about surgery - but at least you will be able to keep training until then - minus the bike. (I blew a ligament in my finger three years ago when I was trying to get a wine stain out of a run - I pushed so hard - I snapped it). Anyway - I was able to get a splint that allowed me to keep swimming. I know it's a major set back - but try to figure out a way to get some exercise in so you could still do a late season race.

Thanks everyone! Justin - I've definitely been drinking my fair share of beer since it happened!

Dave O - I strongly considered chopping it off. I think in the long term though, the surgery is a better plan :-P

DQ - Unfortunately if I have surgery I can't risk getting my hand wet or the pins could get infected. Biking I can still kind of do, although it gets shaken around a bit haha. The main reason for not doing any late season races is b/c of weddings. I have so many in the fall that doing a tri on top of that would be too much. I will wait til next year when I can really focus :-)

Edited by nicole14e 2015-05-26 8:53 AM
2015-05-26 8:32 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

Here you go!

This is awesome, I would bath in maple syrup if it was socially acceptable, and in anyway hygenic.

We took a guy on my team and filled his soap container with maple syrup (more like cheap dyed sugar water). It was hilarious.

Nicole- sorry about surgery I just had some on my elbow, trust me let it heal and you will come out the other side fine.

I am not sure if I am in on the weight loss challenge or not. I would like to be, but I am losing weight with the IM training without trying and not sure I want to stop eating as much. I ate a dozen duck donuts in 2 days last week and am still down 20 lbs from where I started. if I don't stop I'll be out of clyd division and have to compete with all you fast guys.

Scott - Have you ever heard of the crispy creme run? Run 5K to a crispy cream and eat a dozen donuts and then run back. Sounds like an Urban myth but one I'm dying to try!

Hope that wing is feeling better!

2015-05-26 8:36 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert

Thanks I will be having surgery in 2-3 weeks, which means I will be out for at least another month after that. Super bummed, but it could be worse. While I was getting splinted, some guy was getting his hand fixed up b/c he cut off the tips of his middle, ring and pinky finger...always gotta find the silver lining!

So sorry to hear about surgery - but at least you will be able to keep training until then - minus the bike. (I blew a ligament in my finger three years ago when I was trying to get a wine stain out of a run - I pushed so hard - I snapped it). Anyway - I was able to get a splint that allowed me to keep swimming. I know it's a major set back - but try to figure out a way to get some exercise in so you could still do a late season race.

Thanks everyone! Dave O - I've definitely been drinking my fair share of beer since it happened!

DQ - Unfortunately if I have surgery I can't risk getting my hand wet or the pins could get infected. Biking I can still kind of do, although it gets shaken around a bit haha. The main reason for not doing any late season races is b/c of weddings. I have so many in the fall that doing a tri on top of that would be too much. I will wait til next year when I can really focus :-)

Nicole - I totally get it.... I just wanted to be supportive. You've worked for hard and come so far - I was just hoping you could find a way to make it work. What about enrolling in a spin class so you wouldn't have to worry about controling the bike. You've got to put in the work so you can look good for those weddings. At the wedding I went to this weekend - I looked more like Chris Farley living in a van down by the river than a guy training for a HIM....
2015-05-26 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
OK - quick question for the group.... Part of my problem is the fact that 1) I'm competitive and when I see people doing what I used to be able to do (like the strong swimmer in the lane next to me banging out a mile when I was only swimming 1250) I get really frustrated. How can I stay more focused on the present so I can be more proud of what I have accomplished in the present rather than the past. I feel if I could refine my focus - I would increase my commitment and enjoyment.

I know it's all about being mindful - but I am SOOOOO bad at that!

Anyone else interested in the weight loss challenge. Scott - I think you can set your goal how ever you want with the person you're teamed with. Since everyone is different - everyone should have unique goals

Onward!

PS - Thor - no way on the fish...My stomach rebels at the thought!
2015-05-26 10:12 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Thanks everyone! Dave O - I've definitely been drinking my fair share of beer since it happened!

Nicole - I totally get it.... I just wanted to be supportive. You've worked for hard and come so far - I was just hoping you could find a way to make it work. What about enrolling in a spin class so you wouldn't have to worry about controling the bike. You've got to put in the work so you can look good for those weddings. At the wedding I went to this weekend - I looked more like Chris Farley living in a van down by the river than a guy training for a HIM....

I appreciate your support very much! I teach a twice weekly boot camp in the park with my friends that I should be able to continue (with some modifications for certain exercises). I also plan on continuing to run, and maybe will even compete in some 5 or 10Ks! Who knows!

I doubt that is true about looking like Chris Farley! i think this weight loss challenge could be good if we have more motivation, haha. I've been trying to eat really well and plan my meals a week at a time so I can prep the food and save some time that way. It's tough though, b/c sometimes I just want some french fries!!
2015-05-26 3:56 PM

User image

Hi all, sorry for being quiet the past few weeks....was on vacation in New Orleans where unfortunately training took a bit of a backseat! Too hot to run most days, and no good bike trails. Our pool was the size of my office. :-) But I'm back now and back in the swing of things...ran Sunday, biked 22 miles yesterday and ran another 4 miles today. I HAVE to get back to the pool. Good to read how everyone is doing though...ups and downs. We all have them.

Two questions for y'all.

My trusty heart rate monitor bit the dust this past week. It is a Polar FT4 and has served me well. The actual watch portion seems fine, but the band is either not receiving a signal or the monitor isn't transmitting one. Can't quite tell. Has anyone had one of these previously? I can buy another, but it seems like a shame since the watch is still working fine. I don't need anything fancy.

Second and more lengthy question. Initially this year I had planned on buying a bike for racing (I have been using a hybrid which isn't going to win me any races). Since I am doing shorter distances (sprints...might do an Oly next year but I'm perfectly happy training for and doing sprints), I'd just planned on a very lightweight road bike. At this point, price isn't a huge consideration as I think I can write everything off as a medical expense this year. I don't want to spend 5K, but I'm also okay being in the $1-2K range if the bike feels and performs well. However....I went bike shopping a month or so ago and came to an unfortunate conclusion....with my vision loss and no peripheral vision, I am just uncomfortable on a traditional road bike or any very aggressive frame...it puts me too far forward which completely compromises what little vision I've got. Since I'm currently comfortable on my hybrid with the more upright frame, I'm starting to think I need a flat bar bike. BUT...finding a super lightweight (carbon) flat bar bike for racing isn't easy. Pretty much every company makes only one and NO bike stores actually carry them, they require special order. I'm not spending $2K on a bike I've never gotten to test ride. Yesterday one guy at a store told me I should build one. While that seems to make sense, I honestly don't know the least little thing about building a bike. Honestly, I don't know much about bikes at all. Last year I just test rode them until I found one that felt "right". That doesn't seem like an option now. Any feedback?

Sandi
2015-05-26 5:56 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by sandishr Hi all, sorry for being quiet the past few weeks....was on vacation in New Orleans where unfortunately training took a bit of a backseat! Too hot to run most days, and no good bike trails. Our pool was the size of my office. :-) But I'm back now and back in the swing of things...ran Sunday, biked 22 miles yesterday and ran another 4 miles today. I HAVE to get back to the pool. Good to read how everyone is doing though...ups and downs. We all have them. Two questions for y'all. My trusty heart rate monitor bit the dust this past week. It is a Polar FT4 and has served me well. The actual watch portion seems fine, but the band is either not receiving a signal or the monitor isn't transmitting one. Can't quite tell. Has anyone had one of these previously? I can buy another, but it seems like a shame since the watch is still working fine. I don't need anything fancy. Second and more lengthy question. Initially this year I had planned on buying a bike for racing (I have been using a hybrid which isn't going to win me any races). Since I am doing shorter distances (sprints...might do an Oly next year but I'm perfectly happy training for and doing sprints), I'd just planned on a very lightweight road bike. At this point, price isn't a huge consideration as I think I can write everything off as a medical expense this year. I don't want to spend 5K, but I'm also okay being in the $1-2K range if the bike feels and performs well. However....I went bike shopping a month or so ago and came to an unfortunate conclusion....with my vision loss and no peripheral vision, I am just uncomfortable on a traditional road bike or any very aggressive frame...it puts me too far forward which completely compromises what little vision I've got. Since I'm currently comfortable on my hybrid with the more upright frame, I'm starting to think I need a flat bar bike. BUT...finding a super lightweight (carbon) flat bar bike for racing isn't easy. Pretty much every company makes only one and NO bike stores actually carry them, they require special order. I'm not spending $2K on a bike I've never gotten to test ride. Yesterday one guy at a store told me I should build one. While that seems to make sense, I honestly don't know the least little thing about building a bike. Honestly, I don't know much about bikes at all. Last year I just test rode them until I found one that felt "right". That doesn't seem like an option now. Any feedback? Sandi

First off the heart rate monitor...have you replaced the battery?

I just purchased a tom-tom multi sport cardio...reads heart rate on wrist! no strap around chest!! so far so good!

as for bike did you explain to your LBS guy your issues? They can get you fit so you are pretty upright...Worse case scenario, keep your original bike and change out tires/rims if possible. In the end if it ain't broke...

Now get out and swim!!

2015-05-27 5:20 AM

User image

Originally posted by b2b14

Here you go!

Scott - Have you ever heard of the crispy creme run? Run 5K to a crispy cream and eat a dozen donuts and then run back. Sounds like an Urban myth but one I'm dying to try!

Hope that wing is feeling better!

Its held in my hometown. Krispy Kreme was founded in NC. I want to run it next year, pretty sure I will throw up. Come on down we can hit up some of the local breweries. http://www.krispykremechallenge.com/

Edited by b2b14 2015-05-27 9:26 AM
2015-05-27 9:52 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
After freaking out about the conditions- my race was just postponed two weeks. I guess I should take advantage of the time! I still have not OWS- no options have been open due to low water temp. Tomorrow looks like the first chance. Also, my poor mountain bike has not been out much due to trail closures for mud. Hopefully the next two weeks will be better!
2015-05-27 9:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: beer more than just a breakfast drink!

Hey just to keep things going here when, where and what type of races are you registered for?

For me:

June 20-Tri-smore in Strathmore, Alberta(by Calgary)-Sprint-pool swim, flat course, I think. Our whole family is doing it! Reasonably price as well, $55/adult and $30/kid($170 for all). Includes tshirt etc. First time doing it.

July 11/12-Heart of the Rockies in Invermere BC-Sprint-lake swim, hot, hilly course-Whole family doing it...not so cheap but....Over $300 for entry fees, no shirt. Fifth year participating.

Hoping to book one more race for the family in August.

What is everyone else's schedule looking like?

Edited by thor67 2015-05-27 10:29 AM
2015-05-27 3:56 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Madrid
Subject: RE: beer more than just a breakfast drink!
Races for 2015: so far HIM this weekend in a beatiful natural park 45m drive from Madrid. Will try to do 2 Olys before the end of the season, but still looking for dates....

Juan
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54112 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.