BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-10-04 12:23 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

New user
Madrid
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
The work is done Scott, enjoy the taper with not much stress.....all set for the race!!

Juan

2015-10-04 12:41 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

I am selling raffle tickets for a $200 Cabale's gift card (donated by Cabela's in Garner N.C.) All the proceeds go to St. Jude hospital. I know we have some outdoor enthusiast in the group so if anyone is interested PM me. I'll send you the ticket numbers and mail the tickets to you. The donation can be made on line just let me know so I will know how many tickets to send you.
2015-10-04 12:42 PM

User image

thanks Juan I sure hope so
2015-10-05 6:24 PM
in reply to: Shakeybear

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Shakeybear

Hi. I've been around this forum for a while now, and have taken some valuable learning.
Got to admit, this is my first look at the mentor pages.
I was born in Burton on Trent, the home of British brewing, and actually took my first job at Bass - as a beer taster!!

My 'tipple' of preference is red wine now, I feel like I'm maturing like a fine one.

This is my first tri season, and I've completed 2 sprint Tri's . As a fairly late starter at 49 I've had an amazing year. Like many around this forum I wasn't a swimmer, but I am working hard, and in fairness I'm no runner either.

Target is to complete a half IM in Sept next year, and celebrate my half century.

This sport has been a life changing experience - and I still take wine!!

Do I qualify for the Society?

Hi There - I'm sure other people have welcomed you - but I'm the slacker who is supported to be running this group (it might help if I signed on once in a while) and I would love to have you.

To help us get to know you better - please cut and paste my bio from the first page of this forum into a post and fill it in with info about yourself.

2015-10-05 6:28 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Snewo

Race Report for the Celtic Classic 10K:

Race Prep
Bagel & cream cheese only. I tend to not focus on nutrition when it's only 6 miles. The most important part: I had my lucky Swedish Fish snack.

Course Conditions
The weather was beautiful. The course was perfect this year. It's partially paved and partially trail running. In previous years there were issues with some puddles and gophers holes, but this year all was well.

Results
6.2 miles - 55:12 secs
I felt great. My previous best in this race was 2 years earlier and I ran way over my head. I did well but was VERY sore for about a week. This time I felt great the whole race. I even sprinted to the finish which was never an option in the past. I feel like it's obvious that I've prepared for races of much greater distances. I missed PB by 47 seconds, but I was just looking for a solid race. That being said, I also haven't tasted these times since that day. Now I know I could do it again tomorrow.

Next
Next up is a half marathon in a little over a month. Training continues.

Beer
The race takes place in Bethlehem, PA during a Celtic festival. That explains the free beer tickets I get for running in a kilt. The beer I choose this year was Guinness Blonde Lager. I'd never had it and wanted to give it a shot. I stuck with that for the remainder of the day, that would mean that I liked it! I tried to have one for everyone in BDAS but I fell short. What matters is that I tried.

I wasn't sure that my buddy would want me posting his pic, so I cropped him out. Check out those legs huh?

Congrats man! those legs make me wish your kilt was a little shorter Whag clan? Good luck with the HM training. I've got one of my own in 5 weeks. Time to hit the training hard! Let's do this!

As for a CLP for wine - wouldn't that be Boones Farm?
2015-10-05 6:32 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Had a great run yesterday. I don't know what got in me but I had my fastest run in a long time. I'm training for my HM in a month and had planned on doing 8. At 8 miles I checked my watch to see that I was running a minute per mile faster than normal and I still felt great. So I decided to push the last mile and I ran a 10 minute mile - which for me is blazing. I was stoked.

Today I did a recovery ride and tomorrow I will get up early for a run.

Hope everyone is doing well!

2015-10-06 7:30 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by adempsey10

After my last race I put in an upgrade for cat 2. Got it! One step closer to the big leagues. Now I just need to find a new team... 

YES!!! Congrats Alan! All that hard work paying off!
2015-10-06 7:44 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida
I'm with Dave on the MO to be absentee for a couple weeks then back at it fast and furious.

Dave O Congrats on the kilt run! Looks like a fantastic time!!!

Scott Go get em!! Oh and hope you're dry with all the flooding!

Best of luck to anyone else racing soon.
2015-10-06 7:51 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
RE: Sox game with Dave - what a pleasure meeting the man in charge in person. About time too, we live so close by! Great fan of the game, beer, and street cart sausage sandwiches from THE Sausage Guy. Dave took this somewhere around the 7th or so:

(Dave_John_Sox_24Sep2015.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Dave_John_Sox_24Sep2015.JPG (400KB - 5 downloads)
2015-10-06 8:02 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
And now the rest.
Work situation I know I mentioned before, and now Dave is all too familiar with my story with work becoming unlivable. The day I needed to go to the dr with chest pains from stress was the last straw. Interviewed for a couple, was offered one and decided it was the right one for me. End of the month I'll start working from home full time (my job is entirely electronic). Off season workout regimen here I come! Thanks for the tips Alan - I'll definitely be swim focused this winter! For a guy that spent a year and a half working up to be able to sustain a slow 1/4 mile swim, I'm going to need it if I want to do a half mile next summer.

Workouts I'm back on the wagon for run and bike! Fall is 5 and 10k season round here so I'm run focused for now, the bike is for fun and cross training. Haven't lost all my speed since August, I managed not only a PR on Sunday's 5k - I managed 11th overall (out of 200) and 1st in my competitive AG!!! I'm really psyched about this. After battling running injuries for years, to be able to not only survive this late into a running season injury-free but to be getting faster at the same time... It's like a little miracle for me.

Bike It is back on the road. The shifting still isn't right, the cable and chain are old and probably need replacing. I spent a lot of time futzing with the shifting. It would be too tight to shift to larger gears but then too loose to come down to smaller gears. I finally got it to a decent compromise in the garage then took it out on the road and it was just too loose to shift to the small cogs. The limits are set. The b-tension - I have no idea if moving the screw is even doing anything. And tightening/loosening the shift cable even a 1/4 turn hurts it in either one direction or the other. I think this winter I'll work on swapping out the chain and cables. But she does look purdy in her new shoes:

(IMG_0562.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0562.JPG (1767KB - 4 downloads)
2015-10-06 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert

RE: Sox game with Dave - what a pleasure meeting the man in charge in person. About time too, we live so close by! Great fan of the game, beer, and street cart sausage sandwiches from THE Sausage Guy. Dave took this somewhere around the 7th or so:

And the amazing thing - we're both somewhat sober

2015-10-06 12:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
I'm taking a break from a stressful day at school to post to the forum.... I enjoyed such a nice run this morning. I was up and out the door by 4:30 to get in my run before getting my fam and me ready for school. The best part of running so early is that it's so calming. I run around the football field at the school where I live and it's great because I can run without any lights - just the stars and the light of the moon. What was especially cool this morning was the plume of steam coming out of my mouth on each breath that created a cool cloud I just kept running through. Its a rest week so I only did 3.5 - but I wish I could have run for longer.

I hope everyone gets in a great workout like this soon.

Anyone got a race coming up soon?

Alright - back to the lesson prep and the grading.

Edited by Qua17 2015-10-06 12:32 PM
2015-10-06 4:43 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

i'll be doing an hour on my trainer again tomorrow, then a swim. did a short brick today.

Got an email that my athlete live has shipped. If anyone is interested in tracking me there is an app on android and iphone that will allow it. I down loaded it and played with it today and it was pretty easy.
2015-10-06 7:14 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

, Vermont
Scott, do you already have your bib # or can we use your name?
2015-10-06 7:46 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

for my athlete live it is by name under the race tab. cant remember if I signed up as joseph or scott.
2015-10-06 7:49 PM
in reply to: #5145144

User image

, Vermont
Okay, decompression time is over, time to fire things back up. At my PT appointment yesterday he had me in a harness outside doing high knee sprint/pulls, high knee skips, strides, etc and man was I winded!! My new goals are now to better manage my time with the increase in works hours and carve out an hour or even a half hour for exercise each day. I don't want to lose all I gained this past summer. I have already contacted the Master's swim program director and will start there when able (that will be dependent on hubby's travel schedule). I'd like to swim 4 days/week but honestly I think I'll lean toward running and biking right now while I can still do it outside before the snow flies. I'm looking at one and possibly two HIM's next summer - the Labor Day weekend one and I'd like to do one in late spring/early summer since training is a bit easier for me while the kids are in school - I can be a little more honest with training.
My husband has been great training for his personal half Mary he penciled on the calendar for himself. I'm really happy he's really taking it seriously and getting his training runs in. Yea for him!

So who's going to stream Kona this weekend?!? So exciting!!

Press on friends! Keep that energy, enthusiasm, dedication, and motivation alive!!!
Just for fun I'm going to eyeball reduced priced tri bikes (no, not enough coin or power to justify one yet but I thought it would get my mo-jo back). Hahaha.

2015-10-07 7:19 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Jenn - sounds very exciting for next year! The wife and I started doing our planning for races next year, it was a pretty sobering conversation for me. Really wanted to do an Oly late next summer, but then I was reminded how I was nervous this summer for my 1/4 mile swims if I could even complete them if they were wetsuit illegal. So new target next year - longer sprints with 0.5 mile swims. I envy you all that can dive right in and do an HIM in your first ever triathlon. I need baby steps. I also have to remember that I've had exactly one year and two races worth of experience and so I'm not ready for Kona just yet - haha.

Speaking of - I'll be camping in NH this weekend and away from technology so no Kona streaming for me. I'm keeping a close eye on the NBC Sports coverage for when they air it. It'll probably be a couple weeks afterwards. Go Sean Astin!!
2015-10-07 9:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by firebert

Jenn - sounds very exciting for next year! The wife and I started doing our planning for races next year, it was a pretty sobering conversation for me. Really wanted to do an Oly late next summer, but then I was reminded how I was nervous this summer for my 1/4 mile swims if I could even complete them if they were wetsuit illegal. So new target next year - longer sprints with 0.5 mile swims. I envy you all that can dive right in and do an HIM in your first ever triathlon. I need baby steps. I also have to remember that I've had exactly one year and two races worth of experience and so I'm not ready for Kona just yet - haha.

Speaking of - I'll be camping in NH this weekend and away from technology so no Kona streaming for me. I'm keeping a close eye on the NBC Sports coverage for when they air it. It'll probably be a couple weeks afterwards. Go Sean Astin!!

John, I think they're supposed to air it in November....18th? You'll have to double check the date on that.

I would bet you could do an Oly with no problem next August. Come to Lake George and race "Little George" on Labor Day weekend - wetsuit legal! Get a couple more sprints in next summer and do some more open water swim practice for confidence - you can totally do it.
Oh, and technically I haven't done a HIM yet - I had to do the Aquabike due to my knee so I skipped the run on the HIM....but it can be done... Next summer will be my third season so no excuses (and hopefully no injuries...). My first year I did a sprint and on a whim entered an Oly with little prior planning. I just knew I could do the distance (albeit not fast) and went out and had fun with it all and didn't put much of a time expectation on it since I hadn't really trained for it. It was kind of freeing. This year was the Aquabike, a sprint and two Oly's (the second one was a repeat of Little George that I did last year). Practice in the water will give you confidence and if you get concerned during the race, roll onto your back and stare at the clouds for a bit and think how excellent it is you chose to toe the line that day rather than sit at home staring at a screen - then roll back over and take one stroke at a time. Can you tell I want to hear about you signing up for an Oly??? Boundaries can't be broken until they're approached.

Oh, where in NH? It's beautiful right now - should be perfect peak when you're there! Enjoy your technology free weekend!

Edited by aviatrix802 2015-10-07 9:55 PM
2015-10-07 9:58 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by b2b14

for my athlete live it is by name under the race tab. cant remember if I signed up as joseph or scott.

Okay, thanks! If I'm someplace with a device I'll see what I can do!!! So exciting!! You must be chomping at the bit!! Enjoy taper!
2015-10-07 10:00 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Qua17

Had a great run yesterday. I don't know what got in me but I had my fastest run in a long time. I'm training for my HM in a month and had planned on doing 8. At 8 miles I checked my watch to see that I was running a minute per mile faster than normal and I still felt great. So I decided to push the last mile and I ran a 10 minute mile - which for me is blazing. I was stoked.

Today I did a recovery ride and tomorrow I will get up early for a run.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Awesome, Dave!! I love hearing this!! You have got your mojo back, my friend!!! Woohoo!!
2015-10-07 11:41 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
That´s what I've been doing for the last year Jenn, eyeballing tri-bikes and after months (!) of having fun looking at them, finally just ordered from wiggle a QR with Reynolds wheels. Did not arrive yet, but will post pics when I get it. I need something to motivate me next season. 2013 I did 2 sprints; 2014 two Olys; 2015 one Oly and one HIM, and 2016 hopefully HIM in May and full IM end of August (??). Hopefully with the new bike, no doubts!! Hope can slow down my traveling a bit (today in L.A. for 24h)

Juan

2015-10-08 6:27 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

, Vermont
Nice, Juan! Welcome to the States and can't wait to see the bike! Very exciting!!
2015-10-08 7:39 AM
in reply to: #5145393

User image

DeLand, Florida
Juan - that's awesome!! Can't wait to see pics. I've been looking at tri bikes lately as well. Not for any near term purchase (maybe end of season next year) but mostly as motivation as well.

Jenn - thanks for the inspiration!! I think I can do it, but really have to spend a lot more time k. The pool this winter. Seriously it was a struggle for a year to get to the 1/4 mile without stopping point, and only in the comfort of a wetsuit.

Camping - Bear Brook State Park. Not too mountainous but it is on the water. Going to be chilly at night but the days should be gorgeous. Hope not too much rain - we're tenting it.
2015-10-08 7:57 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Oh and absolutely classic on the job front - not 3 days after I accept the one job offer I had, the other company I interviewed with calls and wants to offer me a position. Oh well - too late now! Would have been more money, but a lot more commuting, so it all works out.
2015-10-09 8:35 AM

User image

getting ready for my last longish ride. Yet again on the trainer. I will go outside next week, but haven't been outside since I was hit. I'm still pretty sore. On a positive note my bike is ready for the race. hahahaha

(funnybike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
funnybike.jpg (27KB - 4 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54296 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.