BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-11-23 9:45 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Originally posted by Qua17

I am totally stoked. I've had by far the best two days in weeks. Yesterday I got in a run walk and today I hurried home from work to do my favorite hill route. 24 miles with the toughest hill in the area. It was great. I love riding in the cold at night. There is something electric about it... until you hit a pot hole. I almost lost my grip on the handle bars but managed to grab the drops just as I was about to bite it... Phew! Way too close.

Vacation starts tonight! Yea Baby!

Easy there turbo! A friend of mine just endo'd his bike, and broke a couple ribs in the process. Stay safe out there.

2015-11-24 6:07 AM
in reply to: #5153433

User image

, Vermont
So sick, I am.
Strep. Box of Kleenex a day. Kids on meds. It's that time of year. I went strong until this weekend. Couldn't get my swims in with all the sickness going on here. I did lay on the floor next to my son and did sit-ups and push-ups but that was all I could muster. Yes, I owe HT.
2015-11-24 12:46 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Welcome britt

when your sick you should heal. I read the well built triathlete (well started it) and he is a big advocate of rest. get better soon. You did remind me that Star Wars comes out soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put up a tree stand and stretched yesterday does that count for my workout? I have decided to really work on flexibility and strength during this off season.
2015-11-24 1:46 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

, Vermont

I needed this today, thank you for posting it. There is nothing better when you feel yucky than to have something there to motivate you. I watched every minute.
2015-11-24 1:48 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by b2b14

Welcome britt

when your sick you should heal. I read the well built triathlete (well started it) and he is a big advocate of rest. get better soon. You did remind me that Star Wars comes out soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put up a tree stand and stretched yesterday does that count for my workout? I have decided to really work on flexibility and strength during this off season.

It sure does!! I already have tickets for December 19th - not opening night but the second night.
2015-11-25 11:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Dave--what kind of light setup do you have on your bike/person to allow you to ride at night? Our winters aren't all that bad here tempwise, but getting home before dark to head out is tricky for me in the winter. Would be useful to gather some info on light setups.

Two things - I find I actually get more space from cars at night - so with the exception of hitting a pot hole - I actually feel much safer. The key then for me is to make sure people can see me and that I can see the road.

Here is what I have on the front a NIght Rider 350 lumen light http://www.amazon.com/NiteRider-Lumina-350-Rechargable-Headlight/dp...

On the back - I have a night rider solas tail tight.

And then on my head I have a Coleman 150 headlamp that blinks which reflects off signs and basically says to people - pay attention.

All three cost me about 115 at LBS

Edited by Qua17 2015-11-25 11:43 AM

2015-11-25 11:46 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kevinbe

I am totally stoked. I've had by far the best two days in weeks. Yesterday I got in a run walk and today I hurried home from work to do my favorite hill route. 24 miles with the toughest hill in the area. It was great. I love riding in the cold at night. There is something electric about it... until you hit a pot hole. I almost lost my grip on the handle bars but managed to grab the drops just as I was about to bite it... Phew! Way too close.

Vacation starts tonight! Yea Baby!

Easy there turbo! A friend of mine just endo'd his bike, and broke a couple ribs in the process. Stay safe out there.

Fruit Beer Lover - It was a close call. I need to focus on just getting in the miles to burn the calories. But I think the same thing might have happened because I was day dreaming at the time. Ahh, the joys of ADD. And to be fair - I was trying to think of ways to ride more but that didn't stop gravity from getting a good laugh.

I need to think about getting something that lights my bosy up in case I fall. Any suggestions?

Sincerely, Turbo
2015-11-25 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
A couple quick thoughts:

1) I see we are coming up on 4000 posts for the year. Not bad. I'm not sure of the exact number but I think our record is 4300 We could hit that if we keep on cheering each other on!

2) Do we have a challenge for the month of December? I'm focusing on weight loss but does anyone else have any ideas?

3) I just got back from the PT. His PTA - Dan - who is a miricle worker work on me the graston. My shoulder feels better. Still painful but better.

4) I'm off to my doc who happens to be a triathlete. The guy is awesome. I'm so thankful to have all the support I do. Hopefully he can put the finishing touches on my shoulder.

5) Hoping to get in a ride later!. I really need to focus on my weight. I can't get below 215 and I'm hovering right now around 219 despite only drinking beer 2x per week.

I'm hoping my wife will make my weight loss message chain soon. If you haven't sent her one - here is the address: [email protected]

Happy turkey day everyone!

DQ
2015-11-26 7:06 PM

User image

Expert
I hope everyone is enjoying their Thanksgiving!

"Raced" in a turkey trot today... but raced is not the right word. Started at the half way point (without a bib) and joined my wife mid race. We walked ran and the best part was that I didn't feel any pain! Walked home and made myself cinnabuns, which I shared with my family in the spirit of the holiday.

Tomorrows a rest day - we are going to the Yankee Candle mother-ship - it's an amazing place to check out if you are ever up here over the holidays.

Hope everyone had a great day!

2015-11-28 1:07 AM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania

"Raced" in a turkey trot today... but raced is not the right word. Started at the half way point (without a bib) and joined my wife mid race. We walked ran and the best part was that I didn't feel any pain! Walked home and made myself cinnabuns, which I shared with my family in the spirit of the holiday.

Tomorrows a rest day - we are going to the Yankee Candle mother-ship - it's an amazing place to check out if you are ever up here over the holidays.

I visited Yankee Candle Mecca during my honeymoon. I had trouble with the perfumes. I think my time would have been better spent looking at the cars in the museum. I didn't want to leave my new bride all alone though so I took one for the team. New England was a cool place to go for a honeymoon. I stayed in Lower Waterford, Vermont and did the typical things....Mt. Washington, Ben and Jerry's, antiquing. It was cool.

2015-11-28 2:21 AM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

I've learnt a few valuable lessons from this forum, one being 'don't rush' - build your fitness and endurance.
So, with that in mind I've started to build next years race calendar. So far;
A sprint tri
Olympic in July - which will be first o/w
A mile swim event
Half marathon

Looking for one more sprint and that's my 2016 sorted

Who has got what for next year?

2015-11-28 5:31 AM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Snewo

I visited Yankee Candle Mecca during my honeymoon. I had trouble with the perfumes. I think my time would have been better spent looking at the cars in the museum. I didn't want to leave my new bride all alone though so I took one for the team. New England was a cool place to go for a honeymoon. I stayed in Lower Waterford, Vermont and did the typical things....Mt. Washington, Ben and Jerry's, antiquing. It was cool.

Dave - I took my wife to Gettysburg on the first day of our honeymoon... Nothing more romantic

How's your training coming?
2015-11-28 5:36 AM
in reply to: Shakeybear

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Shakeybear

I've learnt a few valuable lessons from this forum, one being 'don't rush' - build your fitness and endurance.
A sprint tri
A mile swim event
Half marathon

Shakeybear - thanks for posting your schedule! It looks great!

March 20, 2016 - New Bedford Half Marathon
April 18, 2016 - Boston Marathon
June 17, 2016 - Summer Solstice Sprint
July 2016 - Mark Mellon Olympic
August 14 - Steelhead 70.3
October 1, 2016 - Ironman Maryland
November 2016 - Chili Half Marathon
December 27, 2016 - Fat 50K

My questions is - can I pull off a 50K 3 months after doing an IM. I think so - but if I can't the race is free so nothing lost. Thoughts?
2015-11-28 5:38 AM

User image

Expert
Happy Saturday everyone. What's the plan for the weekend?

I'm hoping to get in a run/walk on sat, and 20 on the bike on Sunday.

One last - very important thing: Go Buckeyes!
2015-11-28 5:39 AM

User image

Expert
Jenn - You feeling better?
2015-11-28 11:26 AM

User image

A sprint tri
A mile swim event
Half marathon

March 20, 2016 - New Bedford Half Marathon
April 18, 2016 - Boston Marathon
June 17, 2016 - Summer Solstice Sprint
July 2016 - Mark Mellon Olympic
August 14 - Steelhead 70.3
October 1, 2016 - Ironman Maryland
November 2016 - Chili Half Marathon
December 27, 2016 - Fat 50K

My questions is - can I pull off a 50K 3 months after doing an IM. I think so - but if I can't the race is free so nothing lost. Thoughts?

Wow - that's some forward planning!
Been talked into HIM year after - slow build!!

2015-11-28 5:34 PM
in reply to: Shakeybear

User image

Expert

A sprint tri
A mile swim event
Half marathon

Wow - that's some forward planning!
Been talked into HIM year after - slow build!!

That's a good call. There is no reason to rush into doing a half iron... There is so much to learn from doing sprint and oly... Those are the kind of lessons that will make your HIM that much better!
2015-11-29 5:07 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Yesterday took my first swimming course in my life: after having swam for many years after looking at other swimmers and watching endless youtube videos, what a difference it made! Everyone in this forum -and out there- suggest to check your swimming technique, and finally followed the advise. Spent a full Saturday from 8am to 5pm at the pool, total immersion swimming course, video analysis pre and post, and in just one day not only I know what I was doing very wrong, but I reduced from 19-20 to 15 strokes per pool length. Really useful for a much more efficient swimming!

Plans for 2016:
Jan - Trail HM in the mountains near Madrid
May - Barcelona HIM
Agust - Full IM Vichy (France) - my 1st

Hope everyone is doing well and recovering from those nasty virus.

Juan
2015-11-29 7:40 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

, Vermont
Nice plans people are coming up with for 2016!
I am back and starting to feel better - still completely congested but on meds for the strep.

My original plan was:
June: HIM but not sure which one
July: Colchester Sprint Tri
August: Dunmore Oly
September: Big George HIM

Now...my sis-in-law wants me to join her in a full IM and we are looking at IMMT....so everything else would be tentative. I was thinking 2017 but she may start trying to have a second child next fall so 2016 is the summer! Yikes. Time to get going. She has only done one tri - the HIM at Tupper Lake this past June and she finished in 5:59! She is strong and coming from Park City has altitude working in her favor. Her cousin may also join us - he's done at least 3 IM - the most recent was this past summer at IMCD when it was 107 degrees! He actually wants us to do IM Boulder but I'm pushing for Mont Tremblant.... How were those hills, Dave and Alan? Boulder is actually supposed to be fairly flat I hear so I'm not sure yet. Ack!
I'll let you all know what becomes definite because I will have 5,000 questions and will definitely need support and ears to bend.
I feel like I'm 5 and going to kindergarten for the first time...
2015-11-29 8:13 AM
in reply to: #5154083

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Jenn--good to hear you are feeling a little better!

I hope everyone had an excellent Thanksgiving!

Spent the week at my folk's house,mmeaning lots of food and very little avtivity! It was fun though! My mom and I went swimming on Wednesday at her pool and I'm realizing how spoiled I am swimming at the university. I had to quit after 1800yds because I was sea sick from how rough the water was. There was a family playing water volleyball on one side of the pool and three lap swimmers on the other side and it felt like the ocean on a stormy day. Thursday was the turkey trot. I did better than expected, beating my overall goal pace by 10sec per mile, but my pacing was terrible. I went out too fast, more than a min per mile faster than goal, and faded across the back half. Coupled with the fact that the course was a little long, and uphill on the way back, it made for a rough race.

Taking one more day to relax and recouperate from the trip and back at it tomorrow morning!
2015-11-29 4:15 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Juancho

Yesterday took my first swimming course in my life: after having swam for many years after looking at other swimmers and watching endless youtube videos, what a difference it made! Everyone in this forum -and out there- suggest to check your swimming technique, and finally followed the advise. Spent a full Saturday from 8am to 5pm at the pool, total immersion swimming course, video analysis pre and post, and in just one day not only I know what I was doing very wrong, but I reduced from 19-20 to 15 strokes per pool length. Really useful for a much more efficient swimming!

Plans for 2016:
Jan - Trail HM in the mountains near Madrid
May - Barcelona HIM
Agust - Full IM Vichy (France) - my 1st

Hope everyone is doing well and recovering from those nasty virus.

Juan

Holy Cow! From 19-20 to 15.... that's a 25% improvement. I don't know what you paid for it but it was worth it. Did you see a similar improvement in speed?

A future Ironman! That's a great goal. Let us know how we can support you!

2015-11-29 4:19 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Nice plans people are coming up with for 2016!
I am back and starting to feel better - still completely congested but on meds for the strep.

My original plan was:
June: HIM but not sure which one
July: Colchester Sprint Tri
August: Dunmore Oly
September: Big George HIM

Now...my sis-in-law wants me to join her in a full IM and we are looking at IMMT....so everything else would be tentative. I was thinking 2017 but she may start trying to have a second child next fall so 2016 is the summer! Yikes. Time to get going. She has only done one tri - the HIM at Tupper Lake this past June and she finished in 5:59! She is strong and coming from Park City has altitude working in her favor. Her cousin may also join us - he's done at least 3 IM - the most recent was this past summer at IMCD when it was 107 degrees! He actually wants us to do IM Boulder but I'm pushing for Mont Tremblant.... How were those hills, Dave and Alan? Boulder is actually supposed to be fairly flat I hear so I'm not sure yet. Ack!
I'll let you all know what becomes definite because I will have 5,000 questions and will definitely need support and ears to bend.
I feel like I'm 5 and going to kindergarten for the first time...

That would be awesome. We could rename the race IMBA if enough of us do it

Those hills are no joke but they can be done. The run is pretty darn flat too - so you've got that going for you... which is nice!

More than happy to answer questions - but you could ask a million and I'd still have asked more. Seriously - any thing I can do - I will!
2015-11-29 4:22 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Jenn--good to hear you are feeling a little better!

I hope everyone had an excellent Thanksgiving!

Spent the week at my folk's house,mmeaning lots of food and very little avtivity! It was fun though! My mom and I went swimming on Wednesday at her pool and I'm realizing how spoiled I am swimming at the university. I had to quit after 1800yds because I was sea sick from how rough the water was. There was a family playing water volleyball on one side of the pool and three lap swimmers on the other side and it felt like the ocean on a stormy day. Thursday was the turkey trot. I did better than expected, beating my overall goal pace by 10sec per mile, but my pacing was terrible. I went out too fast, more than a min per mile faster than goal, and faded across the back half. Coupled with the fact that the course was a little long, and uphill on the way back, it made for a rough race.

Taking one more day to relax and recouperate from the trip and back at it tomorrow morning!

It's a Turkey Trot and Gretchen goes out and tries to crush it = b@d! Sorry it didn't go the way you wanted - but you have been a machine this year as well as an inspiration!
2015-11-29 4:31 PM

User image

Expert
Got my run in yesterday and did 25 on the bike tonight.

During my ride, I ran into a bunch of idiots and I signalled and moved into the correct lane - and following the traffic laws, which is the rule in MA when there is no bike lane.

Husband: Hey - you aint in no car.
Wife: Yea - this isn't a bike lane (she probably meant path)

What I said - OK. Thanks! Merry Christmas.
What I spent the next hour wishing I had said - Hey Genius. You are correct. This fine bike - Billy Baroo - is not a car but it's more beautiful car than yours ever was or will be.. But I'm just following MA laws. And Ma'am - since it's not a bike lane, I have to follow the same rules as you. Oh and since I was ahead of you and I signaled - I had the right of way and you needed to slow down for me. Oh and by the way - use your turn signal next time.

Morons!

Still had a nice rice. And as a bonus... Dropped a pound this morning on the scale. 48 to go.
2015-11-29 9:03 PM
in reply to: #5154085

User image

, Vermont
Well done on the pound loss, Dave! Yes, I think every state has those morons. Just be careful while you're out there and remember - they couldn't begin to do what you're doing! Go, Ironman, go!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54079 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.