General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike travel boxes.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-17 12:44 AM

User image

Pro
Subject: Bike travel boxes....

So my kid now rides a 61cm Trek Madone with an integrated seat post.  We currently use Serfa travel cases like this:

http://www.jensonusa.com/!MhPxBGAP2bbLvPMudnTwuw!/Serfas-SBC-Travel-Bike-Case?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CPLP0oW7zMICFfPm7AodBCgAmA 

It was fine when he rode a 58 and we could take the seat and post off the frame to fit his bike in the box.  Now we can't take the seat post off (because it's part of the frame) and his bike's big frame will not fit inside the case even without the seat.  I can take the crank off and make it fit (barely), but I really don't want to break his bike down that far over and over and he travels alone a lot so I don't want him to have to carry extra tools if I can help it.

Does anyone know of a case that will fit his bike?  I'll check with our LBS for sure, but they don't always know everything that's out there.

Anyone? 

Thanks.

2014-12-17 12:49 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Richland, Washington
Subject: RE: Bike travel boxes....
What crank is on it? You really may not have much of an option except to remove the crank. My Rotor 3d+ comes off in like 2 minutes with 2 tools. I remove mine every time I pack it. Depending on what's on there, you can teach your son to remove it.
2014-12-17 12:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I think you may need to go for a custom padded bag.
2014-12-17 12:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Swimaway What crank is on it? You really may not have much of an option except to remove the crank. My Rotor 3d+ comes off in like 2 minutes with 2 tools. I remove mine every time I pack it. Depending on what's on there, you can teach your son to remove it.

Yeah, I know, and he's taken cranks off before.....he's running an Ultegra compact with Di2 (I haven't even looked to see what BB)....and it's just one more thing.  With school, he's pressed for time some races.  For Instance.....this spring he will race 3 times on Saturdays/Sundays after flying in on Friday....and then fly home immediately after the race. It has to be that way because he'd miss too much school between swim meets and triathlon if he left a day earlier/later in either direction.  I'm just trying to keep putting his bike together and breaking it down as simple as I can for him.  On another note....he travels with a back pack and a bike.....there isn't much room for more tools.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-12-17 1:12 AM
2014-12-17 1:01 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Pro

Originally posted by simpsonbo I think you may need to go for a custom padded bag.

You're killing me, brother.

2014-12-17 6:21 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Tri All Sports has a case specifically designed for integrated seat masts… Velo Safe Pro. It's the gold standard of bike cases, but unfortunately, has the price tag to match it… The good news is that it'll last pretty much forever...

http://www.triall3sports.com/cases-bike.php

2014-12-17 6:42 AM

, Alabama
http://bikeboxalan.com/shop/

They will custom make. Not sure if they ship to you.
2014-12-17 7:58 AM
in reply to: NMS

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Hands down the Scicon Aerocomfort "Triathlon" bag. You are never going to sneak it by a ticketing agent, but if you are not irrationally afraid of a soft bag and you travel a lot you can't beat it. The only thing that you remove from your bike are the wheels, everything else stays in place: you don't have to remove the bars, extensions, stem, pedals, seat, dérailleur, nothing - everything besides the wheels stays in place. Here is a review I wrote over on ST (with pictures) several months ago: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5210294;search_string=scicon;#5210294 They were on sale last week for $350.00 from probikekit.

I thought I would never go with a soft case until I discovered the scicon. I have since flown 6 times with it this year (and shipped it twice) with zero issues. FWIW I traveled countless times over a 21 year period with triall3 hard cases and they are great, but also had a bike destroyed in one by TSA when they repacked it after inspection and put the cassette against my seat tube, which it then sawed almost in half. No case is going to protect against that, but that experience left me with the belief that the simpler the breakdown and the easier for TSA to inspect the contents without pulling the stuff in the case apart the better.

2014-12-17 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

61 cm?!  That's a huge bike!

2014-12-17 8:57 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by TankBoy

Hands down the Scicon Aerocomfort "Triathlon" bag. You are never going to sneak it by a ticketing agent, but if you are not irrationally afraid of a soft bag and you travel a lot you can't beat it. The only thing that you remove from your bike are the wheels, everything else stays in place: you don't have to remove the bars, extensions, stem, pedals, seat, dérailleur, nothing - everything besides the wheels stays in place. Here is a review I wrote over on ST (with pictures) several months ago: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5210294;search_string=scicon;#5210294 They were on sale last week for $350.00 from probikekit.

I thought I would never go with a soft case until I discovered the scicon. I have since flown 6 times with it this year (and shipped it twice) with zero issues. FWIW I traveled countless times over a 21 year period with triall3 hard cases and they are great, but also had a bike destroyed in one by TSA when they repacked it after inspection and put the cassette against my seat tube, which it then sawed almost in half. No case is going to protect against that, but that experience left me with the belief that the simpler the breakdown and the easier for TSA to inspect the contents without pulling the stuff in the case apart the better.

Wow. Thank you for this. I'm travelling to Alactraz this year and have been mulling/worrying over getting my bike there for a long time. I'm quite averse to disassembling my bike...so this may actually be the answer. I'm going to research it more and see if a Large Shiv would fit it. Hmm. Thank you!

2014-12-17 9:00 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TankBoy Hands down the Scicon Aerocomfort "Triathlon" bag. You are never going to sneak it by a ticketing agent, but if you are not irrationally afraid of a soft bag and you travel a lot you can't beat it. The only thing that you remove from your bike are the wheels, everything else stays in place: you don't have to remove the bars, extensions, stem, pedals, seat, dérailleur, nothing - everything besides the wheels stays in place. Here is a review I wrote over on ST (with pictures) several months ago: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5210294;search_string=scicon;#5210294 They were on sale last week for $350.00 from probikekit.

I read your review....thanks.  How big is your bike?  Also......do you get charged extra bike fees with that bag since it is well oversized or is it just standard bike fees.  I read where the pads you have on the bike were extra.....how much?

Thanks again.....I'm not in a place where I can look that up right now.

2014-12-17 9:01 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by msteiner

61 cm?!  That's a huge bike!

You should see the grocery bill.

2014-12-17 9:24 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by TankBoy Hands down the Scicon Aerocomfort "Triathlon" bag. You are never going to sneak it by a ticketing agent, but if you are not irrationally afraid of a soft bag and you travel a lot you can't beat it. The only thing that you remove from your bike are the wheels, everything else stays in place: you don't have to remove the bars, extensions, stem, pedals, seat, dérailleur, nothing - everything besides the wheels stays in place. Here is a review I wrote over on ST (with pictures) several months ago: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5210294;search_string=scicon;#5210294 They were on sale last week for $350.00 from probikekit.

I read your review....thanks.  How big is your bike?  Also......do you get charged extra bike fees with that bag since it is well oversized or is it just standard bike fees.  I read where the pads you have on the bike were extra.....how much?

My Bike is only a medium, but there is lots of extra vertical room in the bag (you can see in the pictures how "baggy" it is). I have my extensions maxed out and it fits well length wise. Folks I know with very long bikes that use this bag do have to slide their extensions back a bit, which is simple enough with an allen wrench on most integrated front ends. Never heard of anyone having issues with fitting a tall bike in it - lots of pro teams use this bag to travel with - that is where I first heard of it. I have never been charged extra fees other than the regular bike fee. the airlines that I have flown do not charge oversize for a bike, and they allow a greater weight within the regular bike fee. Packed this one has always been well under 50 pounds though. The couple of times we shipped them we used Bike Flights, and I think that cost around $120 door-to-door.

2014-12-17 9:29 AM

User image

Pro

My Bike is only a medium, but there is lots of extra vertical room in the bag (you can see in the pictures how "baggy" it is). I have my extensions maxed out and it fits well length wise. Folks I know with very long bikes that use this bag do have to slide their extensions back a bit, which is simple enough with an allen wrench on most integrated front ends. Never heard of anyone having issues with fitting a tall bike in it - lots of pro teams use this bag to travel with - that is where I first heard of it. I have never been charged extra fees other than the regular bike fee. the airlines that I have flown do not charge oversize for a bike, and they allow a greater weight within the regular bike fee. Packed this one has always been well under 50 pounds though. The couple of times we shipped them we used Bike Flights, and I think that cost around $120 door-to-door.

Thanks!!!

2014-12-17 9:30 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Oh, and if you are talking about a road bike - you may be able to go with the regular bag (that is the one my wife's bike is packed in in the review)  - no need for the triathlon-specific bag. Scicon does have dimensions on their site, but I too am posting on my phone so don't want to look it up - heh.

2014-12-17 9:32 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

and sorry - missed you question about the extra padding - the Albopads  were given to me by a friend that makes it, but I think the complete set runs about 100 bucks or so. The extra scicon pads were probably another 50 bucks retail.

2014-12-17 9:33 AM

User image

Pro

Oh, and if you are talking about a road bike - you may be able to go with the regular bag (that is the one my wife's bike is packed in in the review)  - no need for the triathlon-specific bag. Scicon does have dimensions on their site, but I too am posting on my phone so don't want to look it up - heh.

Yep, road bike......his tri bike will fit in a hard case, if needed, but he only races it a few times per year.....this year all of his fly in racing is on a road bike..

2014-12-17 10:36 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

You know the airlines fly planes every day...  

As the coolest tri-dad, fly out a day early, assemble the bike, scout out the area, pick up last minute supplies, then pick him up at the airport the next day when he jets in.  After he's done, he gets on the plane while you repack the bike and fly back the next day.  

Not sure which airlines he flies most, but pay attention to total weight...there is one charge for oversize luggage (i.e. a bike in a box weighing less than 50#) and a substantially higher fee for an oversize and overweight box.  My 54 cm Klein Aeolus in a standard box with helmet and wetsuit was right at 50#.  I think I packed my shoes separately in case they checked the weight.  

2014-12-17 10:41 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Pro

Originally posted by McFuzz

You know the airlines fly planes every day...  

As the coolest tri-dad, fly out a day early, assemble the bike, scout out the area, pick up last minute supplies, then pick him up at the airport the next day when he jets in.  After he's done, he gets on the plane while you repack the bike and fly back the next day.  

Not sure which airlines he flies most, but pay attention to total weight...there is one charge for oversize luggage (i.e. a bike in a box weighing less than 50#) and a substantially higher fee for an oversize and overweight box.  My 54 cm Klein Aeolus in a standard box with helmet and wetsuit was right at 50#.  I think I packed my shoes separately in case they checked the weight.  

Nah - this is the year he starts traveling mostly on his own.  Unfortunately, my days with him are starting to get numbered.....I've got a job.

And yeah, the airlines have always weighed the bike box like you say.  I think we have flown most major carriers......we fly Frontier whenever we can as they sometimes don't charge for a bike at all and just check us through.

2014-12-17 11:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Richland, Washington
http://www.pod-it.co.uk/will-my-bike-fit.html

Also try the Polaris Pod Pro or the Scicon Aerotech Evolution

Edited by Swimaway 2014-12-17 11:24 AM
2014-12-17 12:47 PM
in reply to: Swimaway

Master
, California

Maybe:

http://rustersports.com/product/coop/

You'd have to give them dimensions with the integrated seat post though... looks like it would be close.

2015-01-12 10:25 AM

User image

Pro

Thanks!!!

As a public service announcement, in case anyone is interested......probikekit.com has this case on sale for 50% off. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike travel boxes.... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bento Box/Spare Tire Box for wide frame?

Started by kendrabrown
Views: 1302 Posts: 6

2012-10-16 9:45 PM DarkSpeedWorks

Let's talk Bento Boxes/Fuel Boxes...

Started by RunningJayhawk
Views: 1719 Posts: 7

2008-04-02 7:41 PM sty

Travelling with bike...Case or cardboard box?

Started by lifeisgood
Views: 930 Posts: 5

2005-03-03 9:59 PM sjhamblin

help me pack my bike into a box

Started by sirsam16
Views: 841 Posts: 5

2004-06-11 7:44 PM Angie

bike box/bike travel questions

Started by hils
Views: 1505 Posts: 13

2004-05-07 5:39 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 8, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Traveling as an athlete is better than traveling as a tourist or on business or even just wandering around with a backpack and a holey sleeping bag. An athlete is given wide birth.

date : July 16, 2012
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Homestays vs hotels, eating and flying with your bike.
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.
date : April 24, 2005
I can't get my gel pack out of my back pocket and then get it open to eat! I know this sounds really beginnerish, but what tricks or tools can I use to be able to have my food more accessible?