BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2015-05-03 7:07 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)
Originally posted by Baowolf

I need to do the packet pick up thing on Thursday and will hit the Athlete briefing at 2pm (unless you want to hit a different one). My cell is 530-931-0134, but I only have it on when I am away from home so we could connect on site. The Newton shoe tent is often near where the athlete briefing is so we could meet there at 1:45 pm on Thursday or if you know more about the setup I can do whatever. I will be in Texas Tuesday, putsing around for a bit. We could drive the bike course or something if ya want. I am pretty open to whatever as long as I get my packet stuff and my equipment to the T1/T2.
Steve

1:45 pm Thurs is ok with me

Carlo
BIB# 2231

2015-05-03 10:04 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Hello there!

Great weekend outside with awesome weather. 26 mile bike on Saturday and 6 miles run today. Had a very good and productive week. Training and work wise.

Totals for April now syncing with BT
Swim: 1h 15m 30s - 1950 Yd
Bike: 3h 25m 52s - 49.11 Mi
Run: 7h 55m 42s - 36.65 Mi

David - the TI videos were good.. worth the money (IMO). I need to get more consistent and some in person coaching.

Daniel - welcome! Sounds like you have a good plan going. Keep it up!

Pam- how did softball go? I am sure you did just fine...

Carlo - way to go.. you got this!

Steve - good luck! Have fun!

2015-05-03 11:07 PM

Ok, well here are my numbers for April. This was my first month of training so I'm just getting warmed up.

Swim: 3 hrs 20 mins
Bike: 6 hrs 49 mins
Run: 3 hrs 20 mins

I'm feeling really good going into month 2. My main goal is to be able to continue increasing my volume while avoiding injury.
2015-05-04 12:57 AM
in reply to: Paperclip

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Just keep at it and your fitness will come up. Triathlon is a lifestyle so slow build is way better than 1 month blits and crash out injured or emotionally drained. For those not going long try to not compare yourself to the IM folks numbers. The monthly number thing is just for each person to look at their own progress and if you have a race coming up I can take a peak and see how fit you are. When I started and was training for a sprint I looked at those IM mile totals as was in awe like they were supermen or something (and superwomen). Whatever your goals you can build to them and doing so without injury is much preferred as most muscle issues take 6 weeks to resolve if you are good about rehabbing them and 6 months if you are not.

9 mile run 2000 yard swim today, happy to be in taper land. Now if only my energy would come back... but that is what next week is for. Dang gona have to start packing next week, wonder where I thoughtfully put away all of my IM gear that I only use for races... that I never can find when I go to look for it....
2015-05-04 12:59 PM

User image

New user
Happy Monday everyone!
What a great weekend we had weather-wise, it finally feels like summer

April totals:
Swim 5,468 yards 2h45min
Bike 91 miles 5h52min
Run 30 miles 5h55min

I am only swimming 1 x week as of now, simply not enough time on my current schedule for more and I do want to make more room for running. Time will tell if I was wrong to cut back on swimming. I have kind of decided that I was going to do only sprints this year, and that even if I'm a bit slower on the swim, I'll bounce back on the run (hopefully!!!).

I do look at the numbers and I am humbled by the hours some of you put in. I admire you all and I always think that someday I will post numbers like these, just not this year But my time will come...

Carlo and Steve : happy taper, the work is done. Now time for glory!
Daniel : Welcome!
Pink ; yeah, how did the ball game go?
Dennis, Steve : welcome back

2015-05-04 3:18 PM

User image

Cedar City, Utah
April Totals:
Swim: 4h 59m 55s - 11425 Yd
Bike: 11h 17m 04s - 178.29 Mi
Run: 4h 51m 07s - 27.88 M

All Congrats on the training logs! It looks like everyone's activity is increasing as weather improves and race season is in full swing.
Dennis Glad to see you're back on track again. Do you have any other events on the schedule to keep you motivated? See my comments above for my clothing experience. The next time I'll probably go with a two piece tri-kit for simplicity sake, but cycling shorts/jersey and running shorts/jersey worked just fine. Since it was my first, I wasn't so worried about transition times.
David Sorry to hear about your loss - You'll find a bike soon. Check your local Craigslist for incredible deals. Also spread the word among local cycling friends who may know someone interested in dumping their bike for an upgrade. I had a friend sell me his extremely nice bike for a great deal.
Daniel Welcome to the group! Keep to the plan. As you've read on here, consistency is the key. You can do it! I'm new to swimming, so no input from me on that topic... Just put in the time and if you feel yourself stagnating, hire a coach for a session to learn what to focus on. Keep up with the bike too. If you can remember back to when you started running, I'm sure the first mile felt impossible. You'll get stronger and will appreciate (morbidly, I guess) the hills. That's what will build strength the quickest, just like with running.
Pink How was the softball game? Any hits?
SteveFly Wow, you and your wife have been busy. I'm glad your wife is enjoying the races and is taking the challenges in good strides!
Carlo Wow! That's some serious training. Pay close attention to the feedback your body's giving you.
Steve & Brad Thanks for beating the 'be smart and listen to your body' drum. During the run portion of my race, I started slower than I 'felt' I should. But even at that pace, with the heat and the hills, I started getting chills and seeing spots. Nutrition and hydration were right on track and I would have otherwise pushed through, but I remembered your advice. I checked my heart rate and it was way too high. I walked for a couple of minutes and allowed the rate to drop, felt much better and resumed running. I had to do it a few more times throughout the run. I lost some time on the run but finished strong and have recovered better than expected.
Isabella Keep it up!

IM 70.3 - St George Race Report
My First Triathlon | First IM 70.3!!

Experience Epic!! I felt like I had to pinch myself to realize it wasn't a dream! It had been a goal for over 4 years and a lot of stars had to align to get me there.
Clothing - Swim: Sleeveless Wetsuit + Cycling Shorts - worked great. Bike: Cycling Jersey - worked great. It went on quick with a full zipper front. Shorts dried quickly and were comfortable throughout the complete ride. Run: At T2 changed in a porta potty into running shorts with 4-5" inseam spandex liner, tech shirt & cap. Worked great. No chaffing even though they were wet for a majority of the run (see weather below).
Nutrition - Spot on with energy & hydration. Potty breaks at end of swim, bike and during run. I probably should have had one additional bottle during the ride. However, no cramping. I had eliminated all sources of caffeine three days before the race. I had a half shot gel near the end of the bike and then Red Bull half way through the run. The 'wings' spread just in time.
Temperature - Yeah, that. Numb hands after the swim, great temps for the bike and a brutally hot run. I followed your advice and doused myself with ice water a few times during the ride and it became a welcomed ritual -along with filling my cap with ice- at every run station. I was surprised how much Gatorade and water I was able to consume and not have stomach issues.
Open water swim I should have practiced in open water. Repeat, I should have practiced in open water. For my first open water swim, I wasn't prepared for the cold water and the traffic/sighting. I panicked and barely made it to the first kayak. I had gone such a short distance and couldn't even fathom how I would swim to the finish. I held on the kayak, collected my thoughts, remembered my training, remembered how many people were cheering for me, got my heart rate under control and took off. I tried to ignore the panic & focused on form, I counted the next 5 strokes then a 5 second rest. Then 10 strokes, rest. Then 20. Then 50. By then I was swimming well and continued to focus on form. I refused to look at my watch during the whole swim fearing I wasn't going to make the 1h 10min cutoff time. I exited the water in 49 minutes having set a PR for that distance, even with the rests. To say I was elated is an understatement! Once I was on my bike, reality set in and I was on cloud nine remembering I couldn't swim one length a year ago and after 6 months could only swim for 20 min. I could have stopped the race right there and been more than satisfied. The fun was just beginning!

For anyone struggling with any Triathlon discipline, please keep going. Build your base. Consistency is the key. If I can do it so can you!! Sorry about the long post. I'm obviously a bit pumped up. Keep it up peeps!

2015-05-05 12:30 PM
in reply to: ojaister

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Congratulations Todd! Totally awesome...  

I have a 2 piece tri suit, just not sure if I should wear *only* that for a HIM? I used it biking this am as it was warm enough.

Yes, I have a bunch of events this year..  quite a few sprints, both trail and road (local weekly series - will do 5 of each). I have my first Olympic distance in June and a HIM in September.

The sprints are more for fun / training and practice..  I did 5 of them last year, all trail / mountain bike.  Got hooked.  I do not try to compete with others, just set goals for myself and keep trying to get better. I am a front of - back of pack type of person ;-) Working on getting to the middle.

Just purchased a sleeveless wet suit (X-Terra) as all my events are wet suit legal.

I will be looking to get another bike once I sell my SCUBA equipment. My current bike is about 25 years old, mostly OEM except rear cassette and derailleur. Stopped diving (chronic sinus issues) so am converting my addiction to Triathlon.

2015-05-05 8:48 PM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yes it is best to use only your Tri-suit for triathlons, even full distance, unless there is a reason to not.

Todd, grats! I am so happy that you dialed back your effort and ran a smart race. It doesn't matter how fast you go for the first half of the race if you end up in the med tent on the second half. You also kept your head during the swim which was great. If you run a cooler race be careful of that water intake on the run, once you get sloshy it is not so good. I have to be more careful with water intake on an IM than on a HIM run.

So I hadn't put it out there, but I had been selectively looking for a new job over the past year or two. I love my house but, I "think I want" a job that is in school administration. So I applied to a couple of schools and was offered a position as a Special Education Director for one of the school districts. It will mean more work and moving and it will have new challenges, but I believe that it is the direction I am being led in. So I think it is a good thing. I guess we see how the ride goes once I am the person everyone is coming to with their problems. It will suck to not have a pool in my house, but there just might be some folks who workout. They have a bike shop with Saturday rides and a gym with an indoor pool so there is that. I will be formally accepting tomorrow, had to make sure my wife was onboard with the final decision even though she knew I was interviewing and all.
2015-05-06 9:44 AM

User image

Daniel - Welcome and good luck with your training and first tri. My advice on the swim kick is ditch the kickboard for now. It puts your body in a less than ideal position to learn to kick more from the hips. Put your face in the water looking down at the bottom of pool or ~20 degrees ahead. Hands stretched out over your head squeezing your ears and pointing towards the wall your are going towards, body parallel to the bottom and kick. Head up to breathe when needed. For variety you can do the same on your back looking up as you kick. Get your body use to the hips and legs up while head down that is needed to reduce drag and produce a more efficient stroke. Just my .02

Pam - I just watched "The Natural" with Robert Redford. Thought of your softball game.

Carlo - Big brick session indeed. Good luck on IMTX!

David - Congrats on all the recent PR's. Hope the home remodel is going well.

Lindsey - Another race this weekend?

Todd - Way to go! OW swimming is definitely a skill set. Awesome for staying calm and getting it done. What is next on your agenda now that you have your first 70.3 behind you?

Dennis - Garmin Connect (GC) is known to have a mind of it's own from time to time. Good thing is your computer saves the files even if they are not showing on GC. How are you liking the 920xt?

Steve #1 - Congrats on the job offer. Dealing with parents, budgets, etc. You are a better man than I. =) Impact IMTX at all?

Steve #2 - busy April for races. Congrats on them.

Isabella - way to find the time. It sounds like you are a very busy person.

Everyone else - hope everyone is enjoying the spring!

As for me just doing the grind. My wife is going to Paris for an extended weekend so I am headed out of town for a "mini" training camp for a few days. I need to get some training in 90 degree temps. Eagleman is a warm one. Until next time...keep the rubber side down!

2015-05-06 12:26 PM
in reply to: scubabrad02

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Steve, congratulations on the new job!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful news. So now you are moving to a place with a stop light? Moving over the summer and starting with the new school year? Hope the job is all that you were hoping it would be.

And best of luck to both Steve and Carlos for IMTX. I will be stalking both of you. Please post your numbers when you have.

Todd, HIM was your first tri? Wow, that is amazing! Congrats on a great race! Way to hang with it during the OWS.

North Florida is have one of those STELLAR weather periods and I'm loving it. Low humidity (for us), cool in the morning and evening, and low 80s during the day. I spent almost the whole weekend outside.

Friday night, played that softball game. They needed at least one girl for every guy and even with 2 of us girls joining them, we were one girl short. At least hit the ball but got thrown out the first two times. The last time got on 1st due to fielder’s choice and then actually scored. Played second and missed the first popup and was furious. Later the outfielder threw me a ball; I lost it in the lights and ended up ducking like a scared little sissy. Was so embarrassed!!!!!!! But the guy on the other team who had just run to 2nd laughed with me and I decided to enjoy myself. Caught the next one and stopped another hard grounder so I almost redeemed myself. Had a blast! But Lawsy, I was sore. Don’t think I will do again but the team was so nice to me.

The Natural is a great movie but of course anything that has Robert Redford is A-Ok as far as I'm concerned. The book sucks but the book is based on a true story and it's not a pretty story.
2015-05-06 6:59 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Been absent lately, but just wanted to pop in and say thank you for the kind words regarding my FIL's passing. Glad that Steve and Carlo will finally meet! Steve is a nice guy in person too. Good luck to you both at IMTX. Steve, congrats on the new job and family support thereof. Not sure that I'll be back to tri stuff in the near future, but will stop by from time to time to check in on your adventures.

2015-05-07 1:05 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Thanks.

Hang in there Carol. You are always welcome, no need to do triathlons just take some long walks and smell the roses let your mind process stuffs. If you feel like doing one in the future you have what you need to get er done.

Hrm just hit me race is like 10 days away.. hrm should look for my race stuff one of these days. I did buy a map though figured winging it to Texas was probably a bit much as there are many roads to Rome. I will wave as I drive by Carol's house 8).
2015-05-07 6:58 AM

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Sorry I haven’t checked in for awhile, it’s been crazy traveling and catching back up with work now that I’m in the US again.

I completed the flying pig marathon this past weekend! My flight out of shanghai was delayed, so I missed my connecting flight into Dayton. By the time I got everything sorted out, I arrived in Cincinnati around 12:30 a.m. Saturday night (or Sunday morning), then got out of bed around 4:30 to head out for the marathon. I didn’t break any land-speed records, and the last 4-5 miles were very painful but I finished. So I’ll count that as a win ?.

Lindsey - Congrats on your first tri!

Scubabrad /Todd – The smog wasn’t terrible the first week I was in China, but I could definitely feel it after about 7 miles. The second week I didn’t run at all because the smog was really bad in the mornings. The lack of potable water was the actual limiting factor, I drank significantly less water while I was there, and I could definitely feel it!

Todd – Congrats on the 70.3! I’m taking your practicing open water swimming mistake to heart and I’m going to get right on that! (Even if the lakes just recently thawed up here )

Daniel – Welcome to the party!

Steve – Congrats on the new job!

In other news, I recently found out that work will be moving me to South Carolina in July. I’m really excited to go back to the lower cost of living! I also find it amusing that I trained in the winter of new Hampshire, and now I’ll get to train in the summer of SC. Talk about training in the extremes

April Totals (I am definitely missing some data, but I tried to keep up with logging my training) -
Swim:1h 36m 30s - 2788.71 Yd
Bike:1h 23m - 20.72 Mi
Run:6h 51m 58s - 48.71 Mi
Rock Climbing:2h 00m
Soccer:4h 50m
2015-05-07 12:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Jimmy: completing a marathon is ALWAYS a win in my book, no matter the time it took. Great job on completing such an event after such a commute!

Todd: way to handle an OWS swim. You must be proud of yourself for hangin' on. So many newbie triathletes (me included) find that OWS with a wetsuit is a different animal. Your RR was a delight to read, so much enthousiasm, keep up the good work! What's next?

Steve: Congrats on the new job, I guess this will make your mind busy on long bikes/runs!!!

Paperclip: great numbers and great attitude about your training. Are you training for a particular race?

Pam: it sounds like a ballgame I was sucked into last summer, I hadn't played in years and thought I would counteract my lack of baseball skills by running faster to the plate! (FYI, it didn't work )

Scubabrad: well, everyone's busy I guess, but as a mom of 2 active kids and wife to a budding entrepreneur, if I want time for myself, I have to make it. And I must admit that they find I am a better person after my training (thank you endorphins!)

We are officially in for the Tour de la Montagne. We're a team of 3, meaning that I will have to cover 1/3 of a 24K race (as opposed to 1/4, dang!)
We have decided that we'll do 500-meter sprints in turns, and slow down to a jogging on the hill, so that makes for around 16 x 500-meter sprints, with about 2:30-3-min recovery on the bike in-between, if my math is correct. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to walk on Tuesday :D

Edited by isabella969 2015-05-07 12:52 PM
2015-05-07 9:15 PM

Congrats Todd! That sounds like it was brutal but you toughed it out and finished proud and strong.

Steve, congrats on the new job. Sounds like it will be a lot to do and think about with regards to moving and settling in to a new routine. I'm sure you'll do fine though, since it sounds like you really know what you're doing.

My swim is feeling a bit better. Trying to retrain my kick has put me off a bit, but I've noticed that my times are getting a bit faster without any more effort/exertion, and I think it's really going to pay off in the end. There is so much you can do to improve form with swimming, since it's very technical, but I only try to focus on one thing at a time to avoid confusing myself. I got the bilateral breathing down pretty quickly, so now I feel free to focus on the kick. Not sure what I'll work on after that, maybe focus on my stroke rate.

Running right after biking still feels incredibly weird and is exhausting. Not sure how to overcome this. I know my speed isn't anywhere near what it normally is when I run after biking, and this sort of distresses me a bit. For those with experience, how long after starting your run does it take for that leaden legs feeling to wear off?
2015-05-10 3:08 AM
in reply to: Paperclip

User image

Steve #1 - find all your race gear? Safe travels. I hear it is going to be non-wetsuit, humid, very windy, hot, and T-storms likely. Sounds like a peach of a day

Daniel - not sure I know anyone who runs the same on fresh legs as they do coming off the bike. You have plenty of time. You are on month 2. Does your plan call for bricks already? Definitely do not stress it at this point. Just keep plugging away. Consistency.

More later.

One more 3h bike (Z2) and then 'recovery' week. Body and mind is tired. One more build block then taper!

2015-05-10 9:26 PM

User image

Can anyone link me to some good info for strength training? I feel like this piece of the puzzle is missing for me. I've been swimming for about 2 months and my times aren't getting much better. I feel like it's hard to maintain good catches because its physically draining. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I've been training so sporadically and missing a lot of workouts. (time, laziness, injury). I'm very afraid of hurting myself and I use slight discomfort as an excuse to skip workouts. Although, I do think the 3x balanced might be a little too much for my schedule.

I swam the other day and focused on pointing my toes a bit and kicking from the hip. I got on the treadmill 20 minutes later and felt a cramp in my calf. I stopped, rubbed the cramp out, stretched a little, and finished my run. The next day my calf was in a lot, lot of pain. No bruise, but I iced it all day Thurs/Fri and it has gotten better, but it's still only about 80%.

Is it normal to deal with these types of things? I swam today even though it's not 100% and it didn't seem to make anything worse. I figured I'd avoid running for a bit, but I did get an accidental run workout in on Saturday as I chased a woman's escaped dog for about a mile around a Jersey Shore town. And not a nice jog like I've been doing on the treadmill! (Greyhounds go fast!).

I can't wait to read more race reports as the season is getting underway!

Dan
2015-05-11 2:49 AM
in reply to: negatorx

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Bib number 2548, late, heading to bed long drive.....
2015-05-11 8:38 AM
in reply to: negatorx

User image

Originally posted by negatorx

Can anyone link me to some good info for strength training? I feel like this piece of the puzzle is missing for me. I've been swimming for about 2 months and my times aren't getting much better. I feel like it's hard to maintain good catches because its physically draining. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I've been training so sporadically and missing a lot of workouts. (time, laziness, injury). I'm very afraid of hurting myself and I use slight discomfort as an excuse to skip workouts. Although, I do think the 3x balanced might be a little too much for my schedule.

I swam the other day and focused on pointing my toes a bit and kicking from the hip. I got on the treadmill 20 minutes later and felt a cramp in my calf. I stopped, rubbed the cramp out, stretched a little, and finished my run. The next day my calf was in a lot, lot of pain. No bruise, but I iced it all day Thurs/Fri and it has gotten better, but it's still only about 80%.

Is it normal to deal with these types of things? I swam today even though it's not 100% and it didn't seem to make anything worse. I figured I'd avoid running for a bit, but I did get an accidental run workout in on Saturday as I chased a woman's escaped dog for about a mile around a Jersey Shore town. And not a nice jog like I've been doing on the treadmill! (Greyhounds go fast!).

I can't wait to read more race reports as the season is getting underway!

Dan

Hi Dan. I am going to give my advice on your above questions mostly due to the fact I was in a similar situation when I started triathlon. I understand your frustrations as I was 6'2" @ 294lbs on 1 Nov 2013. So the road you are on I have travelled it to some degree. Take whatever points you like and use them. If anything I say rubs you wrong across please just let it roll off your back. It is not my intention. I normally do not like responding to workout/plan of someone because many ways to get to the desired end-state. With that though, there are some techniques that I feel are better than others. Such as the no more than 50% of your weekly run volume from one session. With that said....

1. Strength training is not what you are missing from your plan. You will find advocates of strength training and advocates against it. I just started strength training in my regiment and I put in 700 workout hours last year before I started it. So it's not a limiting factor in your progression I feel. I feel it just opens yourself up to a higher probability of injury in the first months starting out. Let you body get use to the current session loads. No need to introduce yet more stress to the body I feel.

Two words you should repeat to yourself every morning and night. "Consistency & Specificity" You have said your self that you are training sporadically. How do you account for these missed sessions in your training plan? 1 missed session on occasion is not a huge deal but if you start missing multiple sessions then maybe it is time to reassess your goals and the road it takes to accomplish them. Is the goal realistic at this point in your life with everything else going on? Only you can answer these and I think you are beginning to question your current plan already based on your situation. This is a good thing and should be done from time to time. Life and it's priorities are always changing. It is naive of us to think that one plan in its entirety can work through all these life changes.

2. I am having a very difficult time with a fitter suggesting the Minimus Zero v2 for you as you said they did. Where is the pain in the calf? Upper/lower/middle? Outside/inside/Center? Radiate to the achilles at all? Is it worse, the same, or better when running on an incline? Both calfs or just one? Pain when you walk? Going up stairs?

Plantar flexion while swimming important to get those anchors (the feet) out of the way. Unfortunately then we move to dorsiflexion movements such as biking and running. Keeping the achilles loose will help alleviate this transition and possibility of injury. Stretch it periodically throughout the day. Self massage. Foam roll the calf/soleus. Eccentric calf stretching is the new age physical therapy (PT) now. Do these type exercises to keep the tendon from becoming tight. 0mm drop shoes.....still wondering what your fitter was seeing that I am not to recommend that shoe at this time. Maybe a second opinion from another reputable fitter?

3. Yes, swimming physically drains me. My form breaks just like the next persons. You pushing 90% is just like me pushing 90%. It is what you do after your form starts to break that is the key to getting better. Swimming 10 x 50m Freestyle with :20 rest between them holding form throughout due to the rest you just took to clear the lactate is more beneficial to you than swimming 500m straight at this juncture for you. There is a place for longer swims but month 2 with sporadic workout sessions is not it. Once again, consistency & specificity are what you need. Your body is not ready for those training loads.

4. Try and plan your workout sessions to where you are getting more than 20min between them. Once again, your body is not ready for such training loads yet. As Steve mentioned, better to string together good quality sessions over the long haul than to have one good month then get sporadic again. As for the spacing of sessions, you need to refuel your body to be ready for the next session. 20 min is not enough time replace the nutrients/energy you just expended in session #1. Once again I understand time constraints but do not try to "cram" a session in at the detriment of staying healthy. You will find that by giving yourself more time to recover from session #1 that session #2 will be of better quality. There is a time and place for these "brick" sessions but month 2 is not it IMO. Just opening oneself up to injury.

All right, sorry for the rant. I want to see you succeed in your triathlon goals and thought I would share some of my observations/advice based on my experiences. If you really want a strength plan I can give you one or two or three or.... I think your limited time can be better spent though. Consistency and specificity.
2015-05-11 8:39 AM

User image

Originally posted by Baowolf

Bib number 2548, late, heading to bed long drive.....

RACE WEEK!!!!!!!!!
2015-05-11 8:52 AM

User image

Wow it's all creeping up quickly! I have been so focused on the house stuff lately that my training has really taken a hit... which is not good considering my first tri is getting closer and closer. I put at least 20 hours on the house this weekend and am aching all over, so at least I'm getting a strength workout :-) Just maybe not the right kind!haha

I started this week with a renewed vigor... Got my bags packed for a run at lunch today and renovating this evening, then back to my normal 5x5x2. Also... it now makes sense to me why I see so many house builders and contractors with big ol' stomachs (there are obviously the select few who keep themselves in good shape so no offense intended!) - there is limited option for food during the day, so I've also started pre-prepping my meals on days I'm at the house. Unfortunately, gained about 6lbs because of eating crap :-(

Anyway... I hope everyones training is going well! It really is starting to pick up pace now! Bring on the days when they open the reservoirs :-) Oh, and good luck for races this week (scubabrad!).

David

2015-05-11 9:07 AM
in reply to: RookeyDavid

User image

Originally posted by RookeyDavid

Oh, and good luck for races this week (scubabrad!).

David

That was for Steve. His race week. IMTX this weekend. Mine is another 4 weeks away.

Glad the house is coming along!
2015-05-11 9:08 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Originally posted by strykergt

Carlo
BIB# 2231

RACE WEEK!!!!!!!!
2015-05-11 12:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Temple, Texas
Congrats Todd! That's so awesome. 70.3 is a huge goal of mine.. I will get there.. right now just focusing on sprints!

I did "Spa Girl Tri" this weekend in San Antonio. I did pretty well. I don't think I will do it again.. kinda too gimmicky for me. I was put in the last wave group for swimming... and had to wait over an hour before I could start my swim (swim was in the lazy river of the resort.. super long line to start). I get super anxious and race day nerves EVERY race.. no matter how many times I race.. so waiting around for over an hour was not pleasant for me and by the time I started swimming.. I was just angry and over it. Haha.

Finished 19/59 in AG and 230/close to 1000 overall

Also.. bought a bike.. ordered it last week. It came in.. an HOUR before we left for San Antonio for the race.. so I was able to use it this weekend. Super glad! I had them put on regular pedals.. tomorrow when the shop is open again.. I'm going to buy shoes and pedals.. I didn't want to attempt to learn how to clip in for the first time during a race.

Now that all of that has fallen into place.. going to really start focusing on swimming/biking/running and drop the bootcamp classes. Next tri is June 21.

So excited for all of you doing IM this weekend! YEAH!!!!

Edited by Lindzmich 2015-05-11 12:22 PM
2015-05-11 2:09 PM

Hey Brad, thanks for the response.

No, my plan doesn't call for bricks yet. However, after some of my bike sessions I do what I call a mini brick, meaning I run at a light pace around my block, so no more than a quarter mile. I'm doing this just so I can get the feel of it, not to really push myself like I would in a real brick session or in an actual race.

Anyways, today is my big weights day for the week. I do that every Monday with my trainer at the gym. After that I go to the track to do interval training so I can work on my speed. Today I'll be doing 5 x 100 and 3 x 200. Should be a solid, stiff workout. I always look forward to my interval training for some reason. Maybe it's just my inner runner coming out.

I hope everyone else's training is going well. I've really enjoyed mine so far. I've found that even on my worst days, when I'm really dreading doing my bike session, if I can just get myself up on my bike, I'm fine and end up enjoying it more than I thought I would.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.