BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2015-05-23 6:29 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)
Carol you make a very good point. It is important to think very hard about what you are willing to do in the name of testing yourself knowing that there are risks. I try to minimize those risks by putting in enough training up front to have enough reserves in endurance to make it through whatever challenges happen on race day. I also try to hedge those dangers by closely monitoring fluid intake, pace and body temperature. The more experience you have the better you can judge what is happening on race day. At IM Tahoe, I dropped to a jog walk instead of trying to run the whole way because it just wasn't wise to try to keep a run going the whole way. When I have had issues in races I evaluate whether it is a muscle issue that will heal up or a joint or bone issue or an internal organ hydration whatever issue which would indicate tapping out.

That said it looks like Carlo did pretty much everything right, but his body reacted to the heat, humidity and elevation in an unpredictable way. I don't know how thirsty or hot he felt on the run, but he did drop back to a walk, which was the right thing to do.

So, I won't rain on anyone's dreams for racing, but I will try to help folks get as much cushion in training and make the best decisions on race day. That said, there is some risk. So take care, be safe out there. Sometimes you have to throw in the towel on an IM, marathon or whatever, but it is really hard to make that choice while you are in the race. I guess just keep in the back of your mind that there may come a time in a race where the smart thing is to stop and have a medic check you out at a med tent if you are concerned. The medic may say you are fine or they may say, it is a good idea to call it for the day.

2015-05-25 12:05 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Steve/Carlo - Might want to look at the lead up intake for the week prior as well. Certain items are natural diuretics. Also I would look at protein in the diet to the lead up, salt intake levels, fried foods, etc. All can lead to a dehydrated state.

1 week to start taper and fly back to the states in 2 weeks.
2015-05-25 10:35 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Race Report is here!!!!

Thanks for all the support, prayers and the pleasure is mine racing with my Mentor Steve!!!!!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Any advice are most welcome. I welcome ALL!!! feedback ....Thanks

Carlo
2015-05-26 3:49 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Carlo, nicely done Ironman!

I wear 2XU socks, they have a little bit of compression to them so there is less friction between your feet and your socks. I haven't gotten a blister in them in many thousands of miles (well except the one under the toenail, but that was not the sock's fault) including 1 marathon in the rain, and 4 soggy footted IM marathons. You don't actually want too much sliding going on in your shoes so I would probably not go with body glide at all on my feet, but you might have luck with it. I think my race stretchy laces were a touch loose for my race. So I banged my toenail on the downhills. It stopped draining so it will be fine (well until it falls off probably).

It is noteworthy that IMTX is very flat. Just something to keep in mind when you do hillier IMs 8). Although, the humidity was tougher than the hills in most IMs.
2015-05-26 8:32 PM
in reply to: 0

Wow, really well done Steve and Carlo!

I will admit it's kinda scary when I read stuff like that about people getting heat illnesses, dehydration, etc. I always try to keep a close watch on how my body is feeling when I'm working out, especially if I'm in the heat. However, now that my bike rides are getting towards the 1 hour plus range, I'm having to think about how to fuel while riding. I do have a bottle cage so I suppose just a single bottle is fine for now, but how do people keep enough fluid on their bikes for super long rides, especially when it's hot? Trying to coordinate grabbing and drinking my water while not falling off my bike is another matter entirely.

Oh yeah, also I remember when I used to run a lot I read that training in the heat, as well as intentionally depriving your body of water (not completely of course, but drinking less) can help train your body to conserve fluids better so you need less water, even in the heat. Is that true?

Edited by Paperclip 2015-05-26 8:36 PM
2015-05-26 9:00 PM
in reply to: Paperclip

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So on my bike I have 64oz on the back (neverreach) then aero bottle up front (16 + 28) and a bottle on the downtube 24 = 132 oz ish on the frame. If that is not enough I can put on a 2 litre camelback. But at that point my bike is like driving a truck, so often I just go with the 132 and plan on filling up after 60 or 70 miles depending on how hot it is. Note that where I live one can easily go 75 miles without passing a place where one could get water.

It takes roughly 2 weeks to get acclimated to working out in the heat. Unfortunately it snowed 2 weeks before IMTX, so we had no heat to train in. I really would not try going low calories or low fluids to try to "train" your body to get by on less. You just add extra stress to your body and risk really bad effects of dyhydration and heat stroke.

It was the combination of heat and humidity early in the training season that makes IMTX so hard. It was a much much harder race at mid 80s and high humidity than the IMs I have done in 95F temps. Throw in the lack of ability to train in the heat and it is a tough race. This was the first race I used ice to cool, usually water is enough. Having my mouth actually feel dry is a sign that I am getting behind on my hydration. Ideally I don't get there in a race. Also in an IM you should need to hit the porta potty after the swim, once on the bike and once on the run. If you don't ever have to stop to use the restroom you are under-hydrating.

2015-05-27 12:03 PM

User image

Cedar City, Utah
Training continues and I'm looking forward to competing in the Ojai Valley Century this Saturday. I thought I'd throw in some beautiful shots from yesterday's ride. The climb was tough, but the decent got sketchy as clouds dumped rain on me. The deer on the side of the road added more tension & drama. And to think I could have been at home wasting away in front of the TV or something. Ya gotta love getting outdoors!

photo df15bacc-ef70-4e1b-b20c-8b966bc744a3.jpg

photo 5c9a075b-c1bc-4843-a252-7946df6207c3.jpg

Originally posted by Baowolf
Hrm 10 weeks until IM Boulder..... (quit my job, do federal jury duty, sell my house, buy/rent a new one, start a new job, train for another IM) yup sounds doable.

Wow! That's dedication! Talk about dropping everything to get ready for a race.
Thanks for the play-by-play. I'm sure I'll be referring back to those caloric numbers for future races. What's your opinion on caffeine? I quit caffeine for a few days pre-race to eliminate it from the system, but then didn't introduce it back in until the end of the bike to prep for the run. Do you even worry about timing it?
Wet shoes, well noted - I would have never thought of having to tighten them.
Those were some serious driving days. That distance would get me to any race in the US including NY and FL. Hmmmm You must have been stiff as a board, but I'm sure you enjoyed every break you took. Driving makes it a bit challenging to elevate the feet.
When you did your recovery walk, how much of a raise in your heart rate told you it was too much too soon? Or is it more like, typically walking at a really slow pace on a flat elevation, perceived effort should be a 0 or a 1 and would not cause your heart rate to climb. Since it did, the body's saying give me a break. Is that correct?

Carlo, I'm glad to hear your recovery is on the up & up. Rhabdomyolysis is on my 'reading/study list' for this weekend. Thanks for the detailed fluid intake numbers. I'm really curious about this since I now have raced in a hot, very-dry climate, but never in very hot, humid conditions. I just returned from a trip in Alabama and was plagued with terrible thunderstorms during workout times. I ended up riding on a spin bike in an air conditioned gym and it had been years since I had sweat that much! As a comparison, the other day I rode 30 miles at home, drank 2 bottles of fluids and finished the ride completely dry. The sweat just disappeared. What a difference.

With all this talk about pushing yourself, listening to your body, etc., I have one recurring thought of Steve stressing that training is key. This was the first time I have followed a training plan to the 'T.' I learned how much I could push myself during training in a somewhat controlled environment. When I raced in the heat (all-be-it dry heat) and my heart rate was sky-high, I knew it was time to back off. There's wisdom in knowing which pain to push through that will repair itself, making you stronger and which pain will cause injury, either short or long-term. Being new to swimming, cycling & triathlon, I'm excited to push those limits and learn so much along the way. Like the saying goes, "No one ever says, let's play triathlon."
2015-05-27 3:16 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
@Steve

Thanks for all the advice ever since i followed your group. I would be definitely looking into 2XU socks. Bodyglide will experiment it for a while but i doubt it. Sad to say a IMTX AG'er of 25-29 died while doing crossfit yesterday. I feel bad about the tragedy but i really cant help to speculate being hospitalized after the race. Maybe you may have thoughts on this. I dont want it happening to me.

Long term steve i am looking into my next IM as IMLT hopefully will still be around 2016. The reason why i chose the race because its closest to family at North Cali i know its a tough course and makes IMTX dead flat at normal sea level. I am definitely getting a coaching guidance and I need your philosophical advice.

@Dennis
Thanks for the wishes man, Thats one very interesting half marathon under Icy conditions!!! Your one Tough Dude!!!

@Daniel

Yeah i should be listening to my body and scares the hell out of me (read above).

@Brad
Thanks for the advice man glad you mentioned natural diuretics. I dont do caffeine anymore on my races . I dont drink coffee or sodaw/caffeine.

@Todd

HIM @ St.George from what i heard is one of the hardest HIMs great RR. If you can do a HIM like that and follow the TP religiously you have the fitness
to train for IM. Looking forward to your future races

@Lindsey

I read you did Marble falls Sprint. I did that race last year its one of the toughest once i did, sadly the race you attended its their last. Theres plenty if races in Austin and San Antonio area more than in Houston.

@Carol

" It was magical" Will do it again.

@Pam

I just so love your cheering !!! We will be cheering Steve this IM Boulder. !!!

@Isabelle

You're just so sweet cheering US!!! Hope everything is well with your 15 miler hope you recovered well.

Cheers

Carlo

Edited by strykergt 2015-05-27 4:31 PM
2015-05-27 4:55 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Cafiene does not really affect me so I don't much monitor cutting back or adding it in. Some folks like it towards the end of the run to kinda perk you up a bit.

Be very careful of downhill in the rain. Traction can be iffy and there really isn't that much rubber on the road. I have a small scar over my right eye related to a bit of sand dusted across a sharp downhill corner I failed to navigate well enough. Apparently the 8 mph was way too fast.

So ya on the drive back getting out of the car was stiff, but walking a bit every stop helped a bit. So on day 4 after the IM I walked 3 miles at around a 17 minute per mile pace. This should be low z 1, but I could feel that it was a bit much even at that pace towards the end. Two miles at a 20 minute pace would probably have been better. So doing crossfit on a body that is up to maybe a 1-2 mile walk at a 20 mpm pace is not such a good plan. You can feel fine, but you really have taxed your system down to the bone marrow as they say. I have noticed a steady increase in what I can do without getting that feeling of overdoing it so now I am jogging a half mile and walking 2:00 for 4 miles. On the bike I am stopping every 5 minutes to bring the heart rate back down from z1 to z 0 ish. Everything is just very low intensity. Probably by next week I can jog a 10:00 mpm ish pace for 3-4 miles without walking, but it will be by feel. The listening to your body thing sometimes comes when you do stupid stuff and your body says stop. I remember a few years ago starting a french drain in my back yard after an IM. I used the pickax for maybe 3 minutes and was toast, heart pounding in my chest, slight light headed feeling, basically the same as bonking in a race. Keep it easy Carlo, the first 2 weeks are the worst then you can gradually dial it back up.

On a different note I signed the contract for the new job today. I am very excited and it is a 14k ish increase in pay so that is nice, though it will be more work days and more responsibility. Hopefully it all turns out. My current/old boss wants me to be granted a 1 year leave so if I hate the other job I can come back and return to the current position. I thought that was nice of her.

Oh well need to finish a report.
2015-05-28 6:34 AM

User image

To me caffeine is a funny one. WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency...they cover us in most * of our triathlons) actually had a limit to the amount you could have in your system for awhile. They have since done away with that ceiling and any amount in your system is allowable. This does not mean more is better. Caffeine should be respected if one decides to try that route.

Lot's of factors to take into account when introducing caffeine to try and boost performance (up to 3% in some studies or 9 minutes for a 5 hour HIM athlete). As is said on this forum many times, I would not try anything new on race day. Try it a few times with your training sessions as everyone will react differently to it. Even the same individual can react differently to caffeine on different days. So much to look at when wanting to try this approach to racing.

Just like Steve advises, I would NOT reduce calories/hydration to try and get some training effect either. Lots of other things to look at.

I start taper in 1 week. I usually become 'moody' at that point. I hate taper but I know it is necessary for optimal performance. All key sessions are done and all indications are that I should have a good race. Weight is good, training splits are good, I WANT TO RACE! Praying the TSA doesn't hurt my bike. I really dislike anyone touching my bike. Such a first world problem I know.

Happy training/racing/moving/jury duties/ etc. to everyone!

2015-05-28 10:23 AM
in reply to: scubabrad02

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Survive the taper, get rest while you can, drink fluids, try to not irritate those in your household, obsess about the weather.....check your gear bag 20x.

2015-05-29 1:33 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by scubabrad02

To me caffeine is a funny one. WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency...they cover us in most * of our triathlons) actually had a limit to the amount you could have in your system for awhile. They have since done away with that ceiling and any amount in your system is allowable. This does not mean more is better. Caffeine should be respected if one decides to try that route.

Lot's of factors to take into account when introducing caffeine to try and boost performance (up to 3% in some studies or 9 minutes for a 5 hour HIM athlete). As is said on this forum many times, I would not try anything new on race day. Try it a few times with your training sessions as everyone will react differently to it. Even the same individual can react differently to caffeine on different days. So much to look at when wanting to try this approach to racing.

Just like Steve advises, I would NOT reduce calories/hydration to try and get some training effect either. Lots of other things to look at.

I start taper in 1 week. I usually become 'moody' at that point. I hate taper but I know it is necessary for optimal performance. All key sessions are done and all indications are that I should have a good race. Weight is good, training splits are good, I WANT TO RACE! Praying the TSA doesn't hurt my bike. I really dislike anyone touching my bike. Such a first world problem I know.

Happy training/racing/moving/jury duties/ etc. to everyone!

Brad what are you racing????

2015-05-29 2:39 AM

User image

Carlo - I will be doing Eagleman 70.3 on Jun 14th in Cambridge, MD.

Steve - will do on the taper advice. My wife has chosen the title of Support and Gear Director. My daughter is a teenager so I am sure you know how that goes.

2015-05-29 2:48 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Brad

Goodluck on your race!!!! i know your going for PR!! let us know how it is.I think Eagleman goes into the IMMD course.

Cheers!!!

2015-05-29 8:43 AM

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Sorry I haven't checked in awhile! I'll try to catch up on everyone's posts this weekend .

I've started the whole moving for my new job promotion and buying a house adventure. So training has been hard to keep up with, but with my upcoming races, I won't have too much of a choice in the matter .

This weekend is Raleigh, I'm super excited to finally get to a race, even if my goal is simply to survive the race.

Next weekend is the tough mudder, then 2 weeks after that I'll be racing up Mt. Washington.

I'm thinking about getting a coach for when I start the transition to IM training, does anybody have any tips for this. Has anyone tried online coaches? I would obviously prefer to see someone in person, but there only seems to be one coach in the entire city of Greenville, SC.
2015-05-29 10:09 AM
in reply to: jimmybags

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I have done the online coaching thing. It is not worth the $$. The thing a coach can help you with is swimming form, running form, etc. I really think a coach needs to see you run to help you run or see you swim to help you swim better. Otherwise it is just a really expensive training plan where someone occasionally cheers you on. It is not necessarily a bad thing to have someone cheer you on, but meh.

2015-06-01 8:03 AM

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Well I survived the race!

With a cutoff of 8:30, I finished in 8:22 .

• I did pretty much everything that you're not supposed to do before a race, but the only thing I really regret is not having enough nutrition or water bottle holders... and it's not nearly that hot in New Hampshire.

I also bought a new pair of goggles at the expo, and I used my friend's bike so that I wouldn't have to ship mine. Those two items actually turned out really well, I love my new googles, and we dialed in his bike really well. Granted, I wasn't used to his gears, and ended up knocking the chain off a couple of times during the race, but I expected worse.

The race was not wet suit legal, but since swimming is my weakest leg and I was just trying to go for completion, I decided to wear it anyway. I was thinking since wetsuits were last to go, if I could get into the back of the wave I wouldn't have to worry about people passing me. Turns out, that may not have been the best strategy, a lot of the people wearing wet suits were kind of unpredictable to try to swim around.

The first 40 miles of the bike were awesome! The last 16 is where I was starting to cramp up, the hills were starting to get to me (over 2k feet of climbing) and I didn't have a planned out nutrition schedule to keep my body happy. I finished the bike fairly strong, but I didn't have enough nutrition or water after the final aid station. I had filled up my water bottle and grabbed a Gatorade, but I ran out with 5 miles left in the bike (I also ran out of my sports beans and gu).

Fully aware of what was about to happen, I transitioned to the run and started out at a slow jog. The run course at raleigh is an 2x out and back run. The entire way out, there seemed like there was no shade, so I tried to just recover as many liquids as I could at the aid stations, and tried to jog back where there was a decent amount of shade. Once I completed the first lap (very slowly), I convinced myself to turn right before the finish line and start the last lap. I tried to run a couple of times but every time I cramped up and had to come to a complete stop. So instead, I just started walking, I did some calculations to make sure that I was going to make it before the cutoff, and tried to run when I could (mostly when it was downhill and shady). Then I came around the last turn and forced myself to run all the way to the finish line (you know, to look good ).

After the race, I definitely had pretty bad heat exhaustion and some sun poisoning. I forced myself to go to the airport to try to catch my flight, but it was delayed more than 3 hours. I really didn't feel like making the drive home from Boston after 1 a.m. with heat exhaustion, so I decided to take the day off work and get a hotel in Raleigh.

With the cutoff being 8 and a half hours, I definitely got my money's worth for time out on the course yesterday .
    2015-06-01 8:39 AM
    in reply to: jimmybags

User image

Jimmy - you finished and learned things along the way. Awesome job. You definitely had some hurdles along the way with your China trip. Don't worry about the heat, SC will take care of that for you. I have family in New Hampshire (Windham) and South Carolina (Greenville & Augusta) so I get to experience both worlds from time to time.

2015-06-01 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Tallahassee, Florida
    I’m so far behind on my reading and posting. Sorry, I’m not caught up but I thought I’d at least post my totals and make a few comments.

Jimmy, awesome job on finishing a HIM!!!! That sounds like really tough conditions. Way to go and way to learn from it all.

Carlo, love your RR on IMTX.

Steve, did you officially post a IMTX RR? I haven't seen but haven't looked for a few days. Did you see your writeup on our thread. Excellent job. And best of luck on the move! Nice that your current employer wants to leave your job open for you.

Just started reading Meb’s book, Meb for Mortals. Must admit, I was hooked by reading the Intro. Understand now why hubby couldn’t stop talking about it while he was reading it. I want to be friends with Meb.

Sick this weekend with a cold. I couldn’t/wouldn’t make myself go out running. Went walking a few times to get out and found myself crawling home. So while I was hoping to run 90+ miles this month and get my consistency up, I missed it.

Totals below. My real disappointment tho is the weight loss – or rather the weight gain. +2 for the month. :-( But I skipped ahead to Meb’s chapter on eating and am inspired to get back on track.
    Run: 14h 57m - 79.3 Mi
    Core Training: 2h 30m
    Home Improvement: 6h 15m
    Softball: 1h 00m
    Stair Running: 53m
    Walking: 5h 25m
    Yoga: 2h 00m
    2015-06-01 2:16 PM

User image

New user
    Jimmy : great job on finishing Raleigh! I like the way you described your race, tough parts for sure but you pushed through and it sounds like you had fun

The last 2 weeks were not good training wise. I had pain around the chest (right side) and at first I thought it was muscular pain due to house/pool work but it turned out to be a pulmonary embolism (my 2nd one in 19 years, I have a genetic factor) I stayed 2 days at the hospital and was relased last Tuesday night. I am on blood thinners now and I'm much better, but I thought I would take it easy for a week

May numbers are obviously not as good as I hoped they would be:

Swim 7,655 yards / 3h55min
    Bike 73 miles / 5h15min
    Run 26 miles / 4h43min

So I've got the green light from doctors to continue swimming and running, bike is good as well technically, but I'm a bit afraid I will fall and cut myself or bleed internally... If that should happen I would have to be rushed to the hospital. Guess I will avoid solo rides and stick with a group from now on...

On a more positive note, I went back to the pool yesterday and was a bit short on breath, but otherwise it felt good.
    Running : I don't know where I should pick up, but I'll try a slow run tonight to see how it feels.

I'm beginning to think 2015 is cursed ? It's a good thing I've decided to focus on shorter races this year...
    2015-06-02 12:00 AM

User image

Elite
    Alturas, California
    Well sounds like a tough race for sure, tops for mental toughness and grats for hanging in there. I am not sure that you should have passed on going to the med tent or urgent care give how you describe your condition after the race. Where were you cramping, calves or side? How hot was it and humidity? Did you keep wet on the bike and run so as to keep your core temp down, was ice available? What time of day did the race start? How many calories per hour did you have planned/take on the bike and run, what did you eat for those calories (did they have salt and potassium in them) and were there calories at the bike aid stations other than the gatoraid that you could have grabbed just in case? How much water per aid station on the bike and run?

Yes I have a short RR up, but not much more info than what I posted here. I spent the day writing goodbye emails to everyone at work today. I tried to make them personal and meaningful rather than mass emailing everyone. I have decided to not let people get to the point where they are quitting their job before they now that their hard work is appreciated. Simply pointing out what I admired or appreciated about the work people do had half of them in tears. I knew our work environment moral was low, but I guess even I had underestimated it. Either that or I lost my calling and should be writing hallmark cards.

Here are May totals:
    Swim: 7h 26m 30s - 18800 Yd

Bike: 22h 55m 35s - 391 Mi

Run: 16h 54m 26s - 95.17 Mi

2 months to IM Boulder....Hrm looks like they doubled the elevation gain on the bike course for IM Boulder since last year. With it likely to be warmer this year it is likely to be sucky for sure. The first year it sold out right away, this year it took more than 7 months to sell out, next year it will probably not sell out. I just added an hour to my estimated finish time 8(.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-06-02 12:26 AM

2015-06-02 3:26 AM

User image

Isabella - Heal up! Hopefully this is the last one.

May totals:

Swim: 11h 28m 20s - 43908.58 Yd
    Bike: 40h 18m - 843 Mi
    Run: 19h 46m 44s - 136.29 Mi
    Strength: 8h 00m
    Weight: -1lb

6 days & a wake-up I board a plane. Of course I looked at the extended forecast which I know means nothing this far out but since I am tapering I have nothing better to do. 93 degrees ambient with heat index of 99 degrees for the highs and negligible winds. Fun times ahead.
    2015-06-02 8:46 AM

User image

I am continually amazed and inspired by the people in this group. You all rock, whether it's from achieving your IMTX goals or training for your sprint. I am in awe.

I have been completely off training now since remodeling the new house, but am happy to say that after the most stressful period of my life to date along with absolutely horrific movers, we are now in. I still have work to do with renovation, but now I don't have to pull 20 hour days. I need to find a local pool to sign up to, but I think I have done that (pending a quick walk around) so hopefully, this weekend I'll be back on a hard training and nutrition regimen (instead of McDonalds at 1:00am on the way back to my old house after working since 5:30am - EUGH!)

I am excited, pumped and scared about my first tri coming up in August, so training is the key to alleviating that. I also plan to get some open water time in to test out my wet suit properly (I can only manage 400yds in one go and that's indoors, so not sure how I'll do with 1500m open water!)... 10 weeks left, 10 weeks of pushing myself, 10 weeks of preparation and I am only driving myself because of the motivation that I have drawn from you guys.

Once again, you all rock. All the best with upcoming races and training!

David
    2015-06-02 10:19 AM

User image

Elite
    Alturas, California
    Isabella so sorry about the heart problem. How serious is that? What is the recovery like? Is it something that will just get fixed or will it be likely to reoccur?

Brad that is some serious training and all workouts at a very speedy pace. Your plan looks like IM training plan not a HIM plan. One question is why your run miles are proportionately significantly less than your swim and bike numbers. Are you a natural runner staying swim and bike focused? In any case you will rock your race for sure, stay wet on the bike and wet with ice down the top on the run. Your swim and bike paces are very fast, run is fast, but for a HIM at your FOP level I would probably go for a 15 mile or even 16 mile long run so you do not lose uphta in your last 3 miles of your run. Like I said though, you have what you need to rock your race for sure. Just watch those fluids and core body temp in the heat.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-06-02 10:29 AM
    2015-06-02 11:11 AM

User image

New user
    Originally posted by Baowolf

Isabella so sorry about the heart problem. How serious is that? What is the recovery like? Is it something that will just get fixed or will it be likely to reoccur?

Pulmonary embolism is a sudden blockage in a lung artery, caused by a blood clot. Mine was relatively small, so recovery was just to inject blood thinning medication and rest for a week. I am more prone to doing PE as I have a genetic condition. There is really nothing to do to fix it, aside from taking medications that will thin my blood, thus preventing blood clots to form.

My great grand-mother died of a PE at 32 y/o, after giving birth. So yeah it is serious, but in no way will it prevent me from being active. Could be worse!

I decided to go running with the group yesterday. We did 10-50, 20-40, 30-30, 40-20, 50-10 intervals (first # in Z4, second # in zone 4) + 4x400 meters with negative splits for each. It was hard, but I did it slower and by perceived exhaustion.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : May 5, 2008
    author : TriPainter
    comments : 1
    I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.