BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2015-06-15 3:11 PM
in reply to: RookeyDavid

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)
David, sounds like everything is going well for you and 8:30 is pretty fast for your steady weekly miles. You will shift from can I finish, to how fast can I finish to how fast "should I finish." Practice pacing as blowing up on the run will cost you 10 minutes per mile ish. Also know how hot it will be on race day, practice in the heat and hydrate, cool appropriately. Glad things are coming together for you.

2015-06-16 3:07 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
David, have you looked at e-cigarettes? I know it's none of my business but just wanted to suggest.

Oh, today was funny/sad. I went to a interval session this morn. There were about 30 or 40 people. We started out with individual warmup, then a group mile at a hard pace, 2 min rest, and then alternating 8*400 with a partner of similar speed. I ran my fastest mile......and I was dead last. Sigh.
2015-06-17 9:19 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

New user
Pam, I feel your pain! You may be the last of that group, but you are way ahead of those who did not show up!!! And you ran your fastest mile, be proud of that

I just turned 40 yesterday. And the ladies in the 40-44 group ARE NOT slower than in the 35-39 group Back to training I guess!!!
2015-06-17 9:47 AM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Brad - looking forward to reading your report - all your hard work really paid off - those are great FOB rankings!

Carol - nice you are getting back to ultras. Just watched film on people who run the four harshest deserts in one year Desert Runners. Watched it on my trainer. That just fascinates me. Why is your hubbie resisting surgery? Mine was so active when we met and a bad hip has stopped his running and much of his other activities - he's only 53! I'm pushing him to get a hip replacement - hear that once they do it most people are so they waited so long to do it.

Isabella - happy birthday. Yeah I've moved into the 55-59 category and they ain't to shabby either. I complained once that there were no old women like me at a race and someone said it sounded like a podium finish for me. Of course there were lots of women older than me but it made me laugh.

Steve - Have a lot of respect for your growth in your professional life. Wish you well. Nice that you are so likable that your prior boss is holding your spot for you just in case.

Finally training as hard as I should be. Have a 6 workout a week plan and am adding a slightly shorter foundation workout in each sport. Hope to acclimate my body to move into 9 consistently hard workouts each week.

Mitzi
2015-06-17 2:15 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Pam - Excellent work on your fastest mile!

Isabella - Happy Birthday! Good luck in your new age group

Everyone else, keep up the awesome training

This weekend I have Mt. Washington Rd. Race, it's a 7.8 mile 12.5% average grade race... but there's only one hill, so how bad could it be?

Sunday marks 20 weeks until the Ironman Florida, I decided to go with the beginner ironman with HR zones from BT.

Speaking of HR zones, does anybody have tips for setting heart rate zones? I did a 5k pace interval training last night and my watch claims I spent 19:37 in Z5, 15:00 in Z4, 4:37 in Z3, 2:00 in Z2 and :54 in Z1 which doesn't seem right. My average heart rate was 176 and max was 204, what do you guys think? I've just been playing around with my heart rate monitor, I've never tried to train with one before.
2015-06-17 3:56 PM
in reply to: jimmybags

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Hello all - a few days to go until the Griskus Tri.. I am already nervous..

They changed the bike course due to road issues, it is now a bit shorter. Still has some major hills...

Here are my thoughts / goals.
1. Finish the darn thing with a smile!
2. Finish before they hand out the awards..
3. Event goals:
A. Swim 1 mile, do in under 50 minutes. This will put me at 1.3 mph which is a fast pace for me. I will be happy with 60 minutes, shooting for 50. (sub 1 hour)
B. Bike 23 ish miles? - average 14.5 mph - challenging hilly course. Will take averaging 12.5 for 2 hours, looking to do in 1:45
C. Run 6.2 miles - average faster than 4.5 mph - would really like to be sub 13:00 / mile - that is really stretching it. (sub 1:30)

Keep transitions to 2:00 or less. Total = 4:15 ish...  which would be great. starts at 7:00 and they hand out the awards at 11:30 or 11:45 ish.

Overall: Swim - start slow, keep a good easy pace. Bike - Hammer the first 6 miles (mostly down hill) keep a solid easy pace on the 3 climbs (first is over 4.5 miles long) and at the end take it easy to get HR down. Run, start slow - get into Z2 - 3 for first 4 miles (HR > 150), Z4 for 5th - 5.5 (HR > 160) and then try to go all out for the end...

The biggest item I need to control is pacing.
Will work on calories over the next day or two.. Any suggestions? Will be carrying 2 bottles on the bike.

Challenging course with a strong group. Even at my performance goals, will still mean I finish BOP.. Any way, will be a PR for ME!!

This week has been easy workouts... uh, except the bike yesterday. Felt REALLY good and went faster than I planned. Fastest ride this year avg over 17 MPH.. Did keep it short to only 9 miles. My legs feel it today.

Squirt - Glad you are keeping up with being active - consistency counts!

Brad - Awesome, just really awesome!!

David - love your determination and motivation. I hear ya with I know I can, now how fast can I? - You are already pretty darn quick.. don't worry so much.

Mitzi - thanks for the kind words.. yes a lot better than last year, and still a ways to go. See you are back at it - AWESOME! Hope to see you at Lake "T" - next one there for me is 7/16.

Isabella - Happy birthday! Great job on your efforts.. keep it up!

Pink - Bummed about your husband - wish him well. - Story of my life... even when I go the fastest I ever have, I am still BOP.. all good.. No one to get in my way..

Jimmy - Steve gave advice on setting zones.. I still haven't done correctly, the information is out there (on BT)

Steve - You are a class act! I am glad to be a part of this virtual team. Good luck on the new job... Hope and pray for the best!

Best,

-Dennis

2015-06-17 6:22 PM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Run TT to set heartrate= Warmup at comfortable pace with some faster efforts (60 sec at faster pace then back to comfortable pace a couple times in that mile) then 30 minutes at hardest sustainable (steady) pace, hit your lap on your garmin (heart rate monitor) and take an average of the your HR over the last 20 minutes to get your LT heart rate. Plug that into the BT HR table to get your zones.

Your bike LT will be different than your run LT, so you repeat this test, warmup, 30 minutes, count the last 20 minutes at hardest sustainable pace, average the last 20 minutes and that is your bike LT. Plug that into the BT HR table for bike HR zones.

Do the TT tests on a recovery week where you are relatively rested.

If that doesn't make sense let me know.
2015-06-18 9:47 AM

User image

New user
Great bike ride yesterday; we did a bike (10 miles -warmup+steady effort) - run (almost 2 miles) - bike (3 miles up the hill) type of brick.
Would actually love to race duathlons if they were in that format!

The run from the bike felt awful as usual but nonetheless fast for me, with a pace close to 9 min/mile for this short bit (it did NOT feel as fast though my HR was pretty high, no wonder). Then it was the ride back to my car, up the hill. Fun times!

Happy training!
2015-06-18 8:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Quick RR here. I did the generic one on BT as well.

Race morning I was up at 3:30am. I got 8 hours of sleep so no issue. Ate my normal pre-race/long workout meal of 2 x toast with Nutella on it. Loaded up and headed to the race site.

Got to the race site around 4:30am and set up my transition area. Bottles of fluid on the bike, computer paired with the power meter, tires aired up to correct pressure, shoes rubber banded on bike, aero helmet/sunglasses on bike, race belt/running shoes/visor/watch on ground. All set up I moved over to my favorite tree and sat down.

No warm-up for me. I typically use the swim for this. About 10 minutes before my swim wave I put on my swimskin, grabbed my goggles and cap and moved to the entry point for the in-water start. Once they called my 40-44 AG to get in the water about 150 of us moved into the water and made our way to the swim start. There was 2 waves to my AG mine being the second one to go.

SWIM: I usually make my way to the front of the group for the swim starts. Even number on my left and right. I like to see where my competition is as I breathe bi-laterally. Gun goes off and away we go. First 300 meters or so I move along at a pretty good clip but not red-lining it. I look to my left and someone is even with me and moving towards me. I am not big on someone getting a free ride off me through drafting so pick my pace up. Dropped him around the 500 meter mark to where I could not see him anymore so I throttle it down into cruise speed. About this time is when I start hitting the traffic from the previous wave(s). Just work my way through it best I can. Had some chop on the swim but nothing too bad. Currents were swirling in the area we are in but knew this from talking to some local fisherman the day prior during a practice session. Course is an out 800m, right turn and go 300m then another right turn and take it in for 800m. About 300 meters to go I start kicking my legs more and actually dorsiflex my feet a few times to get them ready for the bike. About 50m from shore it is only about 1.5' deep so I stand and get my swim skin down around my waist and put my sleeves on my trisuit on. Work my way out and off to find my bike. Swim was 30:51. This put me in first place for my AG by just over a minute. Pretty good swim.

T1: My transitions I just try to stay calm and keep my heart rate down. I actually walked once I passed the timing chip for the swim. Found my bike and helmet, glasses, bike and go. I had a good rack spot and very little running to the bike exit with my bike. This is a transition advantage. Easier to jog without a bike than with so the closer to the exit the better. Time was 1:49

BIKE: Get passed the mount line and jump on the bike. I use the Specialized Trivents so just slipped the feet in and started pedaling. It's a BOA closure system so very economical and quick to get going. I had planned to ride 215w for the first 20 minutes or so to get into the feel. This was a little too easy so I bumped it up to 225 watts which is 82% for me. I normally ride 85% but it was going to be warm and humid so 82% is a good number. First 30-40 minutes is a lot of traffic to pass on the bike. After this I am solo for the rest of the ride. It was kinda nice. Helped keep the power even. I kept to my nutrition/hydration as planned and it seemed to be spot on. As Steve mentioned to me before, I might try going to all liquid calories in my next race. I will do this in training for the next 4 weeks and see how it feels. Coming into T2 feet out of shoes but no flying dismount. Felt good and legs were fine but as Steve said it is for minimal time gain. Official time was 2:18.34 good for 24.25mph. Held 217AP and 220NP for a VI of 1.01 and .82 intensity factor. This was good for 3rd best bike split in my AG. Was off the best bike split by about 1 minute. I had pushed my AG lead to about 6 minutes after the bike.

T2: It is always nice to get into T2 and see no other bikes from my AG on the racks. This pumped me up a little. I knew I would be in podium contention but this was better than I had thought I would be. Racked my bike put on my running shoes, watch, belt and away we go. Time of 1:39.

RUN: Felt good starting the run. I just wanted to keep my HR in check the first 5k of the run. Well it was running a little high due to me taking the first mile out a little quick so backed it down just above my target pace. Got the heart rate in check in the next mile or so and just held my pace. Hit the first 5 miles right at my target pace of 8:00 miles and still holding the AG lead. I knew the eventual leader would be catching me in the next mile or so though. I still need more miles to be competitive on the run. It really didn't matter though as my feet on the balls started to have an increasing pain/hot spot at this 5 mile point. This is new to me as I have never had hot spots/blisters ever. I am not sure why it came about. The shoes were brand new just laced up the night prior. I also used cotton socks which maybe retained some water and helped to "soften" the feet some. All I know is that I resorted to walk/jogging the rest of the way in. Walking was painful as well. Gotta figure this one out as looking like a penguin waddling on the course is not my idea of a good time....sort of. Oh well. My wife and daughter were right before the finishing chute so I walked over to them before finishing and hung out there for a few minutes/pictures/etc. Composed myself and jogged on in to finish. Run time of 2:26.10. Worst 13.1 run I have ever had in a 70.3. Total race time of 5:19 good for 32 place. Best AG placing I have had to date though. I was 226 place overall. Not sure of how many actual starters. DNF's were running about 8% of the field here.

COMMENTS: Swim and bike were breakthrough for me. This is the best I have felt starting the run ever. Now to just dial in the feet issue. Really not sure why this crept up on me. I did get offered a roll-down slot to the 70.3 World Championships with this performance though. Slots were rolling deep here. I did not attend the roll down ceremony as I did not think a slot would roll to 32nd place. Lesson learned as this was a goal of mine at this race. Sigh...

Took last 3 days easy and have eaten everything in sight. Probably gained 5 pounds since race day. Tomorrow starts my Muncie 70.3 prep. Lot's of @ pace sessions and we shall see how Muncie goes. We will see how the training sessions go as I am in Illinois and Colorado until this race. Not my normal training grounds.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and to Steve for steering me along. Few pics up on my BT formatted race report.

Edited by scubabrad02 2015-06-18 8:10 PM
2015-06-19 12:32 PM
in reply to: scubabrad02

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Brad, amazing race. So I never wear cotton socks ever, just so ya know. Anything over 5 miles can cause most folks to get blisters in non wicking socks. I also like to run a good 20 to 30 miles in a shoe break them in. I know you can run with them out of the box, but I find that I get that hot spot just under the ball of the foot in the middle for the first 3-4 5-6 mile runs before the break in. Another possibility is that your laces were to tight. If you used the quick elastic laces, and they are too tight, it can cause rubbing on the tendon sheath on the top of the foot and pain on the ball of the foot in the middle. I have had both happen to me. All of those problems are very easy to fix, much easier than being a slow swimmer or biker. Again nicely done.

For nutrition on the bike I use Infinit, triple concentration with flavor at lowest level, salt and potassium at maxium level in 2 chamber aerobottle. I take 3 swallows of infinite chased by 3 swallows of water every 20 minutes, drinking water for hydration as needed based on temperature between.
2015-06-19 1:28 PM

User image

What brand socks do you use Steve? I did a short easy run yesterday and still had the issue. Not sure if it's residual from the race or not though. I do use Lock Laces so being too tight is a distinct possibility.

2015-06-19 6:22 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Men's Performance Low Rise Sock
SKU : MQ1903e
Style# : 12017
Color : White/Coastal Blue
Size : Small or Medium

I have done all my races for 7 years in these socks (and pretty much all my training). They are on sale now (buy one pair get 2nd free) online atm. I did Texas in them and have done other races with soggy feet all day long including marathons, HIMs and IMs.

The other odd thing you can have happen is if you are in really cold water and do not have swim socks on, (sub 55) and your feet go numb, as the feeling comes back it can feel like you have a rock under your foot, but it is really just that area under the thick callous us runners get that gets feeling back slower. I actually took my shoe off to look for the rock and nothing... just the callous. It warmed up over the next couple miles and was fine no blister no nothing (this was during the run of a HIM and my feet were still numb....).
2015-06-20 9:38 AM
in reply to: #5075206

User image

Ordered. Thanks for the info Steve.
2015-06-20 2:12 PM
in reply to: #5123764

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Online atm?
2015-06-20 5:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by Baowolf
The other odd thing you can have happen is if you are in really cold water and do not have swim socks on, (sub 55) and your feet go numb, as the feeling comes back it can feel like you have a rock under your foot, but it is really just that area under the thick callous us runners get that gets feeling back slower. I actually took my shoe off to look for the rock and nothing... just the callous. It warmed up over the next couple miles and was fine no blister no nothing (this was during the run of a HIM and my feet were still numb....).

Steve, your level of knowledge astounds me. I knew that I had problems with a perceived "rock" under my foot in really cold weather but I thought it was just me. Now I know why.

Brad, that is an amazing job!!!!! Ridiculously fast swim and bike. So sorry about the run problems. Definitely next time with another pair of socks and you will podium. Also, I'm like Steve where I like to break in my shoes with a few miles before a race. To me, it always seems like it takes a few miles before they conform to my feet.

The heat has arrived in Florida. This morn, I left a little later because of my son. First hour and a half were ok and then I just tanked at the end.

Ok, anybody have any suggestions for me on stretching/strengthening an imbalance? I think that my right leg is slightly longer than my left which isn't great for a road runner who automatically runs toward the traffic. I've been very cognizant lately to try to minimize the road camber and either run in the middle of the road or on quiet streets where I can run with the traffic. Seems to work but I think I need to do something to strengthen my right foot (always been a problem for me. Seems to "slap" the road.) or do something extra for my left ITB. I'm going to go to our local running store and see if I can get the sports medicine guy that has helped in the past. But thought I'd ask.

Happy Father's Day to all of our Dads.
2015-06-20 6:47 PM

User image

Originally posted by Dennis B

Here are my thoughts / goals.

1. Finish the darn thing with a smile!
2. Finish before they hand out the awards..
3. Event goals:
A. Swim 1 mile, do in under 50 minutes. This will put me at 1.3 mph which is a fast pace for me. I will be happy with 60 minutes, shooting for 50. (sub 1 hour)
B. Bike 23 ish miles? - average 14.5 mph - challenging hilly course. Will take averaging 12.5 for 2 hours, looking to do in 1:45
C. Run 6.2 miles - average faster than 4.5 mph - would really like to be sub 13:00 / mile - that is really stretching it. (sub 1:30)

Keep transitions to 2:00 or less. Total = 4:15 ish...  which would be great. starts at 7:00 and they hand out the awards at 11:30 or 11:45 ish.

Actual:

Finish with smile - see pic...

Finish before they hand out awards...  they started earlier than I had thought, I finished during the awards..

Event goals - so close...   - I will take it..  Run sucked..  Bike / Run course much hillier that planned. - Now I know I can swim a mile..  and did it easier than I thought.

Swim, 1 mile, 00:50:58
Bike. 23 miles, 1:46:53
Run, 6 miles, 1:24:38

Total, 4 hours, 7 minutes. 49 seconds.

This is from my Garmin...  race results aren't available yet. - I finished next to last...  Which is OK since I was a LOT further ahead than all those that didn't even attempt it..

Race report will come later this week..  will be heading out to movies with my great photographer wife..

(DSCF4265-0005.png)

Attachments
----------------
DSCF4265-0005.png (700KB - 5 downloads)

2015-06-20 7:59 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Grats on the Oly finish. You kicked butt over the 250 million folks who were at home sitting on their couches this weekend. You will get better as you get more fit, no worries. And think of all those PRs you can hit along the way. They say it takes like 10 years to get good at triathlon, especially at the longer distances.

So 80 mile bike ride for me today, warmish, 15 mph winds 85F, kicked my butt. I actually ended up taking way too much water with me because I was thinking the temp would jump up into the 90s even though the weather report said mid 80s. Oh well, better too much water than the other way around as I was 40 miles from the nearest water source. IM Boulder in 6 weeks, hrm, thinking this will not be a fast or easy race. Ideally another month between the races would have been good, but IM doesn't always consider my recovery in how they schedule their races. And I am not trusting IM Lake Tahoe to be smoke free or snow free this year, so IM Boulder it is. Then I have to be at work 1200 miles away 2 days after the race..... guess I need to go find an apartment or something soonish.

Happy Father's Day to our fathers out there. Go race your kids around the block 20x to teach them whose da boss.
2015-06-20 11:58 PM

User image

Go Dennis! Awesome finishing picture! Love it.

Happy Birthday Isabella. I will venture to say the 40-44 AG is the deepest competitive-wise.

Steve I have not clue how you do IM's then drive around the world after it for a few days.

Mitzi - Yay for finding your groove in workouts!

Jimmy - ~20 weeks to go. It will be here before you know it. 12.5% AVERAGE grade race? Wooziers!

Pam - good luck on imbalance. I have nothing on that situation. =(

Happy Father's day to all the dads. First official day of summer Sunday!

Brad

Edited by scubabrad02 2015-06-21 12:16 AM
2015-06-21 8:50 AM

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Brad - loved the race report, I may also be looking at a new pair of socks

Dennis - congrats on finishing and rocking out most of your goals!

Steve - good work on the ride, good luck with all of the transitioning to your new job!

Pam - have you tried yoga type things (which I don't really know anything about), I hear that's a great way to build up strength and to stretch properly.

I have a question about the training plan that I started today, I am struggling to translate some of the swim things, today says:

WU: 300 swim/100 drill for warm up
MS: 300 swim w/ pull buoy – then 100 drill – repeat as many times as you can in 45 minutes. Swim effort on the 300s is steady – not hard, not easy. NO STOPPING.
CD: 100

From what I can tell I'm supposed to warm up for 300 yards/meters but what does "drill" mean?

Then for the main section, I think that means 300 yards/meters with the pull buoy then "drill" - is drill like an easier part of the workout? Something like a cooldown, but not the cooldown for the entire workout, which is just 100 meter/yard swim.

Here's a picture from the end of the race yesterday , absolutely perfect weather! started out in the mid 60's at the base of the mountain, and it was in the low 50's at the top! Blue skies as far as you could see from the top of mount Washington yesterday!

(1467361_844801614335_8498173326346758666_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1467361_844801614335_8498173326346758666_n.jpg (109KB - 25 downloads)
2015-06-21 1:25 PM
in reply to: jimmybags

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Way to go Dennis!!! Glad you had a good day at the races.

Yes Isabella, now the mom athletes' kids are old enough, so they can enter races again .

Brad, amazing swim, and overall race!

Jimmy, love seeing the mountains in your pic.

Pam, wish I had answers for you, but as you know I have not overcome my issues w/ running. You are probably right to be looking further up the chain though....ITB, or possibly hip issues.

Mitzi, good to see you! Ha, I think you have me confused with Pam, no ultras for this gal.

Steve, are you moving to a larger city? Hope you will enjoy finding some good training grounds and maybe even a convenience store or two for those long bike rides.

Rains have hopefully abated here now that tropical storm Bill has moved on. Our lake parks and paths are all flooded (have been since May), as well as most of the bike paths that run near creeks/rivers. Still some street closures as the runoff overflows downstream from the lake. Definitely a crazy weather year. Been hitting the gym some, and getting outside when I can.
2015-06-21 3:49 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
WU: 300 swim/100 drill for warm up
MS: 300 swim w/ pull buoy – then 100 drill – repeat as many times as you can in 45 minutes. Swim effort on the 300s is steady – not hard, not easy. NO STOPPING.
CD: 100

Warmup" swim 300 yards at a comfortable place then do 100 yards of drills (fish, 1 arm, fingertip, kick, switch, (pick one) for 100 yards).
Main Set: Swim 300 yards with a pull buoy then 100 yards of one of the drill types (fish) then 300 pull buoy, then 100 drill (fingertip), 300 pull buoy and 100 drill (catchup), etc. If not specified or picked out by your coach figure out what is weak in your stroke and practice that drill or just rotate through them. In any case you just repeat 300 buoy, 100 drill for 45 minutes.
Cool Down is 100 yards freestyle at a comfortable pace.

You can youtube drills if you are not sure what to do.

Moving to a slightly bigger town from 2500 people to 15,000 people. They do have a bike shop and a gym with a pool and.... a Kmart woot!

12 mile run this morning, meh still just rebuilding. I am still in lower intensity, not running into issue with working too hard that often, but there is still an edge of fatigue for the high intensity stuffs. And I am down to 1 more build cycle before taper lol. Painting the interior of the house this week and next yay.

2015-06-22 7:30 PM

User image

I love food! That is all for now. =)
2015-06-23 2:25 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by scubabrad02
I love food! That is all for now. =)

LOL!!! Time to replenish those salt and sugar levels
Thank you for the race report, amazing job all around, it seems only minor details prevented you of achieving a podium. You even scored a championship spot! You now have the confidence you need to repeat what went right, and correct what went wrong. Bravo!

Dennis: that is a great finish picture! And I must say your list of goals was really inspiring. I may steal a few ideas for my next race

Steve: Moving, painting, driving after an ironman... are you even human??!! Seriously, you are one busy man. And you've been hitting all these long workouts. Kuddos!

Pam: My ankle / foot arch problem of last year came from a hip imbalance. I had a series of exercises to do, I did them for a while, and then... I got bored. I then started yoga and I worked on my core and strenght of whole body, and it seems better this year. I can find them for you if you'd like, but it would be a good idea to go see a sports physio. Good luck and keep us posted!

Last Friday I volunteered at my kids school as they had organized their very first school triathlon! And I am proud to report that my daughter was 1st in her group, and I think 3rd or 4th overall. She is an amazingly natural swimmer, and although she said she suffered on the run (like mother like daughter it seems!!!) she finished strong. She turned 11 y/o yesterday

The weekend was busy but not training-wise. A whole lot of stuff to do and places to go, with many birthdays, Father's day, long drive to attend a school concert, appointments and whatnot, I was not able to squeeze a workout in. The good thing is they were all the same weekend, so I should be ree for the rest of the summer!

Went for a run yesterday and focused on high cadence. HR was a little bit higher than usual for that pace, but I felt my form was better. Went for a swim today at lunch, was also focusing on form rather than distance. Tomorrow morning bike ride with a buddy. I am way overdue for a hard workout on the bike. Can't wait!

It is Quebec National Day (St-Jean-Baptiste) tomorrow, so we are off. Cuts the week in half, I'll take it!

2015-06-24 3:10 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Race report posted....

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=533390

A couple of things not shared in that report.

I started getting more rest a few days ahead of time... good.

Slowed my exercising to minimum... good.

Friday I was PRIMED to go...  way too much energy. I should have raced on Friday...

Friday night, knowing I would not sleep went out with my wife to a local Nascar race. Race went later than expected..  plus fireworks. Didn't get home until 11:30.  Finish loading truck.. nerves.. didn't fall asleep until 12:30 - 1:00 ish... up at 4:30. - Not enough sleep.

Eating..  Didn't plan calories right, just winged it..  really affected me..

Overall I did well, all things considering. My calves started cramping on the swim and kept on through the event.

My right foot "fell asleep" (too cold?) during the bike..  During run my right shoe was too tight and/or my foot swelled a lot more than normal.

It took 3+ days for the cramping to go away from my calves..  I went for a run yesterday, 3.75 miles, and worked it out. A little tight today but much better...

Back to working on "the engine"...

Seeing as last year at this time I had maybe 1 tri complete..  I will take it!!

Best,

-Dennis

2015-06-24 11:42 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Dennis looks like a solid race to me, your pacing was consistent across all 3 sports. The foot did not go numb from air temp, either your shoe was too tight or it was actually a bike fit issue where the circulation gets cut off by your sit bones and causes less circulation in your foot which makes it tingle and go numb. I am not sure about the arm issue, maybe the swim irritated a shoulder muscle and then the bike put more pressure on that shoulder area and then on the run it just got grumpy with you. You can try bananas if you camp in a race (high potassium) but, if you are hitting hills hard and not used to it, you run into fitness issues. Also in races where it is really hot if you don't have salt tabs and need more salt, the pretzels are your best bet (not potatochips it turns out, though they do have some salt).

When swimming if your calves cramp for whatever reason (can be water colder than 60F) just let the leg hang loose and it should work its way out in a minute or two. You can bend the foot down and up to try to help work it out as you swim, but you can just go all upper body until it works through. I have had my calves cramp 5 to 10 times in an IM with water 55F ish. What is really annoying is when you go to take off the wetsuit and cant point your toes because it causes your calves to cramp.

Anyway Dennis, nicely done, good job staying with it to finish up the race. Do some stretching (on a step go from heals up to heals down below toes and back up. You can do this stretch on the bike also if your calves cramp. I do this maybe 10x during an IM. Stand on pedals with front one at 3:00 and back one at 9:00 (both half way up in front and back) then drop your heals stretch for 20 sec then move other foot forward and do the same. If you do this with one pedal down you can drag a heal on the ground which is startling.

For hills I have a compact crank up front and a 12/15 in back. It is fine for those 12 percent grade hills (well the gearing is fine the engine needs some work).

Two coats of paint on 7 doors (one side) today, will finish those up tomorrow, do the trip and work on next batch yay.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-06-24 11:55 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.