BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2015-06-26 4:17 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)

All... thanks for the congratulations and kudos... really appreciate it!

Nice little bike ride today, 43 miles @ 16+ MPH average.. Great way to spend a day off. Wedding tomorrow which will kill the day, so I got the workout in today. Run on Sunday. Definately need to find time for more swimming.

Steve - thank you for all the feedback and word of encouragement.. What you say really means a LOT! Thank You! Yes, I really need to do the LT test correctly. Do you have a link to the socks for buy one get one? I may have missed that deal.

Isabella - Think I may have said before.. oh well, here it is again.. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Weekends - good to be busy!

Brad - Nice race.. good job.. SOrry about the run, you will come back even stronger. You are another great example for us.. Keep it up!

Mitzi - Online atm = at the moment (I am thinking..) Am I gonna see you at Lake "T" soon??  

Jimmy - nice pic on top of Mt. Washington..

Carol - Hope you are finally drying out..

Everyone - Have a great weekend, train hard, stay safe!
-Dennis

2015-06-27 5:06 PM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
It was just the 2XU main website in USA.

50 mile bike ride in 97F temps. That water gets pretty toasty, need to bring a long some cuponoodles to put in the waterbottle. It would brew nicely I am thinking. 8 hours of standing and painting yesterday. Fancy trim is overrated, I am in favor of simple door frames all of the sudden. I think I will just go soak in the pool, not swim just sit on the bottom with a snorkel.
2015-06-29 1:07 PM

User image

Yesterdays long run.. 10.2 miles. @ 12:50 / mile..  Not bad.. distance is OK, need to start working on strength and speed.

Top of right foot still hurting, need to keep shoe loose. Then they slip and slide... Same with Friday's bike ride, after a few miles I needed to loosen my right shoe. Either I am tightening too much or my foot is swelling?

Need to start bringing water / nutrition on runs..  what are people using for belts?

2015-06-29 4:04 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Once you have irritated the tendon sheath on the top of your foot (by lacing too tightly) it can take 3-5 months for it be less touchy about how tight your shoes are again. If you run on mostly flat mostly paved roads you should be fine with a reasonably loose shoe.

I use camelback for fluids on the run/long bike. They have a fannypack type belt version that holds 32 or 48 oz and then they have backpack type packs that hold up to 2 liters. It really depends on which is going to irritate your less when you run, which is a personal thing. For me the fuel belts look like a bit too much of a hassel for the amount of water I need to carry with me.
2015-06-29 8:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by Baowolf
50 mile bike ride in 97F temps. That water gets pretty toasty, need to bring a long some cuponoodles to put in the waterbottle. It would brew nicely I am thinking. 8 hours of standing and painting yesterday. Fancy trim is overrated, I am in favor of simple door frames all of the sudden. I think I will just go soak in the pool, not swim just sit on the bottom with a snorkel.

Steve, you crack me up! Most of the time, your posts are serious (and informative) but then you slip in something like cuponoodles. And I feel for you on the painting. This time last year, I decided to paint my room to justify staying indoors and watching you at IMCDA (which I enjoyed). But then after the IM was over, I was still painting and painting and painting. Good luck on it.

Had a friend at IMDCA yesterday. Unfortunately he pulled out after the bike due to the heat.

Isabella, Happy Birthday! And Congrats to your amazing daughter on her tri!

Wow, Jimmy, Brad, and Dennis are all doing great. Congrats guys!

Thanks for the suggestions on yoga. I have been doing it and recently did another session with another teacher. I’m definitely going to focus on those issues and try to get their suggestions.

Sunday a week ago, my back went out during a run. I babied it for 5 days and finally got ticked. Decided it was a pulled muscle (don’t know how I did it) and since it hurt while doing nothing, I might as well run. Been going slow and completely focused on staying upright. I walk any steep inclines where I can’t maintain an upright posture. Slow go but it hasn't made the back worse and might have even helped it some. And since I'm going so slow and taking short steps, I've been working on light and midfoot placement.

Dennis, I have trouble posting pix so I'll try some crude graphics of the lacing technique recommended to me for ultras when my feet were swelling.

Typical lacing where laces are crossed at every eyelet
---
X
X
X
X
bow

Alternate way. Cross the first time and then run laces up the sides. One more cross and then tie the shoes. See below.
---
X
I I
I I
I I
X
bow

You don't even have to do the final crossover before the bow. And for the bow, if you have trouble with your heel moving around, bring the laces out of the eyelet that is typically the last one we use. Then on the same side, insert the lace into the very last eyelet and leave a loop. Repeat on the other side. Then thread opposite sides thru the loop and tighten (but not too much) and tie the bow. It's not for everyone and I've been experimenting lately to find what is best for me. Wanted to mention in case it helps. My son HATES the look and dogs me for it but it helped me get thru my first ultras.

Edited by Pink Socks 2015-06-29 8:44 PM
2015-06-30 9:23 AM

User image

New user
Great training week for me last week. We are starting to do longer workouts (1:30 instead of 1 hour) on running Mondays and biking Wednesdays with the group, last night's run really kicked my butt I suck at long intervals. Race season is officially in full swing here in Quebec so it is indeed motivating.

Steve: cupanoodles and doing "the rock" in the pool... LOL!!!

Pam: sorry for your back pain. take the time you need to rest!

Denis: have you tried these lock laces (or speed laces I think they call them)? They are elastic so they expand a bit with your foot, plus they are made to make transitions faster!

(product-info.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
product-info.jpg (423KB - 4 downloads)

2015-06-30 5:28 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

I love chocolate chip cookies the best I think....chomp chomp chomp

Hope everyone has a good upcoming week!

B

2015-06-30 6:42 PM
in reply to: scubabrad02

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
The main problems with my painting project is that the folks who built the house did not exactly fit the doors and the frames well. So I have to basically sand 1/4 inch off of 3/4 of every door. The other problem is that our house was a foreclosure and well the people who got foreclosed on took a hatchet to all the doors. They were poorly patched and though it doesn't really bother me, I am patching sanding the entire surface of every door before painting them.

7 mile run 3600 yard swim today, door sanding soonish.
2015-06-30 9:26 PM
in reply to: #5075206

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Well the pup and I are officially homeless until the 10th. I've moved out of New Hampshire and I'll be headed south. Still sticking to my training plan as best I can, but once the girlfriend flies back north I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my dog while I'm at work and working out.
2015-07-01 5:25 PM
in reply to: jimmybags

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Here are July's totals:

Swim: 12h 51m - 27600 Yd

Bike: 31h 49m 50s - 512.75 Mi

Run: 14h 58m 57s - 93.79 Mi

Stamina not building fast enough, of course it has been 97+ all week so that probably is not helping. I think I am getting old or something. Only gonna plan on doing 1 IM next year, probably IMCDA.
2015-07-02 10:26 AM

User image

New user
And on the other end of the spectrum, here are my June totals

Swim: 10,936 yards / 5h22
Bike: 83 miles / 5h17
Run: 33 miles / 6h18

I was disapointed with my bike training yesterday. We did some power intervals with a small climb at the end. I came close to a few PR's of mine on that route but I could not keep up with my training partners. Even worse, I was passed by people usually slower than me.

Possible causes are: not the best nutrition these last days, and on that day I had a decent amount of protein but way too little carbs. I felt I had no power in my legs and the wind was killing me.

Also, I did some analyzing of my stats so far this year (Jan-June). This year I wanted to focus more on the run, even if it meant biking less. I realized that between health problems and unforeseen family obligations, I ended up doing 50% less biking while only increasing running by 17%. So I am slower on the bike now, and almost the same on the run. Oddly, this conforted me in a way, since it doesn't mean that I am working hard and don't improve; it only means that we reap what we sow, and I've been sowing less this year. So I'll know what to do next year

But for now, what should I do? Increase bike time and try to keep running as is? Or just maintain whatever bike fitness I have now and REALLY focus on the run?

2015-07-02 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
June totals.
Run: 19h 56m - 100 Mi
Core Training: 1h 15m
Stair Running: 36m
Stretching: 20m
Walking: 3h 00m
Yoga: 4h 00m
Weight loss: lost 1 pound

Happy 4th of July to Everyone. I was looking forward to the long weekend but now with my pulled muscle and in-law drama, I just want to sleep the whole weekend. And drink.
2015-07-03 12:56 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
June totals, half a month recovery after various races, then I started the training plan.

Swim: 3h 24m 02s - 6515.17 Yd
Bike: 4h 59m 17s - 63 Mi
Run: 8h 45m 25s - 39.23 Mi
Paddle Boarding: 5h 00m

I snuck another workout on the road today. It was tough biking in a downtown area, lots of red lights, but at least I was able to put the time in to workout in the middle of relocating. Thankfully there was a rest day yesterday, and there's one tomorrow. So the only other workout I have to do on the road is my run/swim on sunday.
2015-07-03 4:45 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I hear ya, Sunday I go off to hotel land looking for an apartment for next year during my biggest IM build week and looking at houses. Was a nice cool 95F today for my workouts, too hot to paint any doors though. Will have to do other things.
2015-07-08 11:49 AM

User image

Hello all... hope everyone had a safe holiday. 

June's totals:

Swim: 2h 42m 43s - 5714.77 Yd
Bike: 9h 33m 55s - 141.5 Mi
Run: 10h 39m 42s - 85.35 Mi

NEED to get more swimming in..  seriously..

A few workouts missing from log?? They are not all transferring over from the Garmin Connect app. (still did pretty well.) Yesterday did a 4 miler @ 11:09/mi pace..  Which is really good for me..  

Thanks for the suggestions on the laces. I ended up keeping the same cris-cross pattern, just loosened up and not tightening as much. Yesterday was too tight and I can feel it with my shoes today...

This "10 years to get good at triathlon" and "tendon .. may need 3 - 5 months to heal" is REALLY starting to mess with my instant gratification.. Maybe I should take up something easier ??  Lol..  

Vacation from Maine is now over - full speed ahead to September..  :P

Best,

-Dennis

2015-07-08 4:26 PM

User image

Dennis - I have been playing golf everyday since my race. I do not recommend it in lieu of triathlon training. Very frustrating. Haha.

Not much tri training for me. Couple runs but that is it. Pulled out of my 70.3 tri this weekend. Just not feeling it so no need to put in a bad showing. Head back home across the pond early next week (if United Airlines can keep their computers working) and will start my training for a 40k TT later in the fall.

I really do love pizza. Gonna miss it.

Hope everyone else is having fun in their tri/workout/training journey(s).

B

2015-07-09 9:25 AM

User image

New user
First race of the year coming in 2 days... why am I so nervous??!! It's only a sprint!!!

Had a great bike last night, hill repeats, maybe not a great idea for the race ahead but definately good for bike confidence. Was afraid of that hill and we got to climb it 5 times!!! Take that, hill
2015-07-11 10:20 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Well with the tendon sheath irritated you can still run on it fine, you just have to keep the shoe looser, but you can run a marathon or do an IM with that particular issue (I have done both).

So it turns out my new job covers about a $3,000,000 program where I oversee 75 ish employees....and my biggest problem... do I buy a house near the pool or near work to get my swimming in?

100 mile bike ride in 20 mph winds that one stretch of 30 miles into the headwind at 8-10 mph was almost enough to send me back home to finish up the ride on the trainer, but I sucked it up and got it done.

Happy training.
2015-07-12 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Originally posted by Dennis B

This "10 years to get good at triathlon" and "tendon .. may need 3 - 5 months to heal" is REALLY starting to mess with my instant gratification.. Maybe I should take up something easier ??  Lol..  

Best,

-Dennis

Dennis, that cracked me up. Sorry for the tendon, but isn't that the truth?!

Brad, you a serious golfer? Hubby just took a few private lessons, got his clubs regripped, etc. to get back into the game. We discussed how golf is a lot like triathlon...surely that new driver will put me on the tour....surely that aero helmet is going to help me reach the podium. etc.).

Isabella, it's just like riding a bike (with a bit of swimming and running) ! Hope you are having fun with that sprint!

Pam, I always like your balanced approach to training and life!

Steve, hmmm....maybe a house directly between pool and work....as long as it's not on a freeway or something. How cool it is it that you will actually have access to a pool!!!

Career news for me too. I re-launched full time employment about 9 months ago. After one false start, I wound up taking a job that was below my skill/experience level and had zero vacation time the first year. After some initial clean up work that was rewarding, I found myself bored, in a teeniny cubicle, with no time off. Not to mention death of my FIL, husband retiring, and full blown menopause (sorry guys). Gotta love starting over at 49 years old! So my initial plan was to negotiate to become a 75% employee in all aspects. Before I did that, they proposed that I "run the department" but were not specific on comp. So I drafted my own plan and proposed it to them. Got everything I asked for! End result is 3 weeks off the rest of this year and 5 weeks off next year, promotion to Controller (where I left off in my career a few yrs. ago), nice office instead of cubicle, and pay increase. It's a small, volatile company, but I feel a huge sense of relief just knowing I can spread my wings a bit. Now to sort myself out physically. Weight is at an unfathomable number and I feel it, sigh.....
2015-07-12 2:34 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Carol grats on the job stuffs! 5 weeks is way better than um no time off. I should still have 4-5 weeks off in the summer and most of the regular school holidays so I am still spoiled vacation wise.

16 mile run went ok today. It wasn't fast as I am at the end of my IM build before taper, but it was pretty steady. My wife is all yay now you can taper. I am all ya but the first week of taper still has a long bike ride of 70 miles which doesn't actually feel like real taper. I will likely never learn to golf beyond min-golf.
2015-07-13 9:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hey there....

Good training weekend.. 56+ miles on the bike Saturday. Worked in the garden(s) weeding most of Sunday and went for a late run at night..  Did not like it. 80 degrees, 80+ % humidity, tired and suffered through 6+ miles..  finished just about 10:00 pm..  What was I thinking??

Two sprints this week, Tuesday and Thursday.  Tues - Winding trails (400, 5mi., 5k) mountain bike / trail run. Wednesday Terramuggus (600, 10mi., 5k) road bike / run.

Looking at a new road bike..  trying to decide between a Trek Emonda S5 and a Felt B16 TT bike? The felt has 52/36 chain rings w/ 10-speed 11/28 cogs.  The Trek is 11-speed and 50/34 up front and 11-28 rear. The Felt is $400 LESS than the Trek.
http://newingtonbike.com/product/trek-emonda-s-5-210454-1.htm
http://newingtonbike.com/product/felt-bicycles-b16-194914-1.htm

Thoughts? - and no..  I can not afford both.. the bikes AND a wife.. 

*****************************************************************************************
Pam - way to work through the back ache. Excellent example of determination and dedication!

Isabella - The lock laces look promising, will need to order a set and try them out. I have been analyzing too..  How did you are 100% correct - we reap what we sow. I need to sow more training time..!!  How was the race? I am sure you did well.

Brad - I have never met a chocolate cookie I didn't like (my favorite). Golf is a good walk ruined... I do play from time to time, not enough to get any better.

Steve - you continue to amaze and inspire..  Awesome, truly awesome.. How about a home on the beach and say "screw work"?? -or- take some of the 3 mill and build a pool at work? The "Baowolf Tri-Training Employee Center" would be nice too! So nice that you get choices... All positive - continue to prosper!

Jimmy - How far south are you looking to move? More and more my wife and I talk about heading south where it is warmer all

year round.. New England is getting to us. Nice that you are getting the workouts in still. Keep it up.

Carol - congrats on the job!! That is wonderful..  Just goes to show that sometimes a "setback" is really a "Set-up"!!

*****************************************************************************************
Have a great day!
-Dennis

Edited by Dennis B 2015-07-13 9:09 AM

2015-07-13 9:46 AM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Hey all, long time no see! Glad to see some familiar faces still sticking around. It's getting closer to my only tri this year so I need to step up my activity levels and get some motivation from you guys.

After a solid April (28 hours of activity), I got married in May so I didn't have time to do much (10 hours). June was below-average (20 hours). But I'm hoping to get 30 or so in July, to prepare for my upcoming half in Oct 3. I also got a dragonboat race Aug 29, but that's not a priority by any means.

I'm not completely caught up but I think congratulations are in order for you and your career, Carol! Steve, have a great taper.

Dennis, I PMed you about some bikes. I got my wife a bike from a JensonUSA sale they got going on right now, an Orbea Avant M50. This year I'm also going back to having a tri bike (2 years ago I sold my tri bike and used my road for everything). Got myself a used '13 Orbea Ordu. Lots of good deals out there for used and past-year models.

I got plans to head to richmond in sept to watch the UCI road world championships, 2 hours south of me! Can't wait for that.

I'll be posting more often. Promise.
2015-07-13 3:25 PM

User image

New user
Pretty pleased with my sprint last weekend. For the long story, head over to the race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

For the short version
- 1 minute faster than last year, mostly from a faster swim and slightly faster T1
- exact same time for the bike and T2 (to the second, I'm not kidding!)
- 20 seconds slower run
It was HARD (supposed to be, right?) it was HOT (well the kind of hot that we don't get often here up north!) but it was FUN!

Jimmy: are you moved in yet? Hats off to you for keeping on training in-between houses!

Steve: Would you consider building a similar swimex pool setup at your new house, now that you have the experience? Cause I would trade that for my public pool anytime...

Carol: great news, so happy for you! Proof that sometimes we just need to take control and ask what we want.

Dennis: that is a tough choice... good luck with that, but don't forget to post a picture when one of these bikes is yours!

I want to join the Baowolf Tri Training Employee Center, how can I get in??? I would love to have just an access to a shower at work so I could at least go for a run at lunchtime. Even a place to keep my bike safe when I work, so I could commute!!! Maybe I should do as Carol did and do a business case
2015-07-13 4:58 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Nice showing in your race Isabella!

Good job on you guys getting it done during summer schedules. It is tough to get up early and such when the rest of the family is sleeping in etc.

The budget at my ne job sounds large, but then over 96% of the money is already spent and probably another 2 percent earmarked to be spent. But it will be a significant step up with managing staff and programs for sure.

I do live my SwimEx as I can swim whenever I want to. The problem is the cost is significantly more than the public/private pool options. A gym membership is $60 ish per month so $720 per year and a Swimex including the transportation, installation, creating a building for it will be anywhere from $50k to $65k. Then there is paying to heat it, though it is small compared to heating a regular pull. So the pool pays for itself in 90 years. So ya it is a luxury item for sure. Now I drive a car worth $5000 so I am not spending money on a sportscar, but I do have a hard time justifying the cost.... unless I can find a cheaper house with some land. I go back and forth on the issue.
2015-07-14 10:30 PM

User image

Winding Trails Sprint Triathlon - Oh well..  not as good as I had hoped - wanted to beat last years final, fastest time...  Just missed.  Transitions slow, run a bit slow. Giving me something to shoot for...

Swim: 00:12:45 (this includes a long run to transition and removing wet suit, donning bike shoes at the beach.)
T1: 00:00:55 (really? all I had to do was drop my crap and put my helmet on.. safety glasses were wet couldn't see, threw them back in bag)
Bike: 00:30:23 (passed a lot of people - tough getting around them in the woods, people don't know what "on your left" means)
T2: 00:01:21 (took my time, needed to lace shoes, grabbed a quick drink from bike bottle and water)
Run: 00:40:39 (everyone I passed on the bike passed me here..  got to say hello again!)

Total: 1:26:02

Fastest last year was 1:25:02 - so close...  

Wet, rainy - sporadic, forgot my socks, ended up with a blister on right foot. Didn't get my garmin buttons right, kept hitting pause in lieu of "next" - need more practice Lol.

Overall happy with how my legs / back were feeling after the weekend. Rest up tomorrow and head to Terramuggus on Thursday...

Good night all...
-Dennis

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.