BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2015-08-10 8:33 AM
in reply to: scubabrad02

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)
Isabella - keep up the good work training, sounding like you're on track for your goals!

Carol - Congrats on the 3 lbs! Hopefully I can keep up my healthier eating habits as well, nothing as extreme as your diet though.

Steve - Thanks for the RR, it was good for me to read up on what you had going on for nutrition. Congrats again on the race!

Dennis - I technically swam before the storm , nice job on the 65 mile ride!

Brad - That 40k time trial sounds awesome, good luck on the training transition.

As for me, I ended up skipping that run last week. It ended up storming all day on thursday as well. I did a 50 mile ride as part of my brick on friday, and I went a little bit too hard (and didn't take enough water). Which caused me to drop 30 mins off of my run on saturday. I'm still doing OK overall, just need to finish out one of these weeks with 100% completion of my training plan. Seems like I always miss something.

Happy Monday!

2015-08-10 11:08 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Morning all,

I realize its getting late in the season but if the group is still open to new members I'd be happy to join if you would have me. I'll send more in the way of my story if there's room in the group - no sense in cluttering the board if its closed.

Thanks for reading and good luck all with your training and races.

Kev
2015-08-10 11:49 AM
in reply to: Kjl82

User image

Kev - Steve (our mentor) has an open door to the forum. All are welcome so welcome to the group! Post up a bio when you get time.

P.S. Lot's to learn in this group. I am happy I joined.
2015-08-10 1:56 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Hi all,

NAME: Kev
STORY: So, I’m 33 and currently live in Ottawa, Canada. Last year my wife and I welcomed our first baby into the world and with that I decided to take some parental leave to spend some time together. At that point any, our daughter slept quite a bit so I’d often find myself with a couple of hours a day with no baby duties and a quiet house. Generally a fitness guy, I started adding in runs to my workouts and saw there was going to be a half marathon in a few months in the town that I lived in at the time. I should mention at that point I was already comfortably running 7 miles so the thought of going to a half marathon distance wasn’t a big jump in terms of mileage. It was on my to do list and since I was already halfway there in terms of the distance I figured now would be a good time. So, the race came and went and I ended up finishing in 1:42 which was well under my “I’d be happy with” goal of under 2 hours. Naturally, I finished and thought of doing another race and promptly signed up for the Edmonton Marathon. Worked my way up to the distance and finished that one in just under 4 hours – literally just under by 17 seconds or so. From there, family started taking more of my time so I ran a bit here and there afterwards but mostly just let it go. I’d crossed the marathon off my list and was happy. But I kept thinking of doing a triathlon. That’s on my list too and since I’m in a fitness oriented profession with time available to workout I figured now’s the time to work towards that goal as well.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my best friend and wife. 1 beautiful daughter and 2 fun dogs.

CURRENT TRAINING: Averaging 3 runs a week – 2 shorter mid week runs and one longer run on Sundays; 2 bike workouts mid week and a long ride on Saturdays and only one swim session a week on Sundays. Starting to incorporate strength workouts as well.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2015): None planned for this year. Focusing on the HIM Muskoka next summer with a couple of tune up races in the spring. My swim is too weak at this point to waste the entry fees – literally I couldn’t swim even a sprint distance at this point. Later this fall, a schedule change will facilitate more swimming so my lack of swim workouts will be rectified.

2014 RACES: Cold Lake Half marathon and Edmonton Marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS: Not a goal but could probably shave five pds off to get to a better race weight.
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Recognition of the fact Im a complete newbie means I’m willing to listen and adapt.
2015-08-10 10:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Welcome Kev. Yep need some swim training for the HIM. Make sure your long run is not more than half of your run miles for the week. The HIM next year sounds like a reasonable goal. Make sure your wife is on board for the hours your Him training will take. Triathlon kind of takes some time for the longer distances and you probably have a full IM in the back of your mind, but don't really want to tell anyone until you finish the HIM...... Generally triathlon is a lifestyle though a bucket list is nice for the first one. You then, however, run into the what next phase and then figure out what to do next.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-08-10 10:36 PM
2015-08-11 7:30 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Thanks for the welcome! I definitely ran it by my wife beforehand and from the marathon training last summer she knows how much time is involved generally speaking. As far as the full IM, thats actually the goal but thats beyond the HIM next summer, the HIM is the stepping stone with sprint and olympic being the initial stones next spring.

Sadly my first training ride on my new bike was rained out hard this morning so I'll have to fit it in later today once the skies give us a break.

2015-08-11 11:00 AM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Hey team, here's my July #'s:

Swim: 5.4 mi, 2:31
Bike: 152.4 mi, 11:28
Run: 36 mi, 5:34

Others: Soccer: 3:30; Rock climbing: 1:49; Kayaking: 1:43; Softball: 1:24; Tennis: 1:48

As far as tri training, I'm feeling comfortable about my upcoming HIM in Oct. In fact, I added a couple warm up races to my schedule: a sprint in 2 weeks, and an oly in about a month, both local.

Highlight in July was traveling across the country to San Diego to visit family. Weather was incredible: 70's and clear every day. I was able to train a bit. Running and biking along the ocean definitely beats running in my boring DC suburb neighborhoods. Even got some OWS practice at Canyon Lake! Overall great trip.

Dennis, loving the new bike! I splurged this season too, on an Orbea Ordu tri bike and can't wait to race it (still dialing in the fit). I'm still jealous that you have an opportunity to compete in tris on a weekly basis...

Daniel, congrats on your first tri! Passing people on a hybrid must feel pretty good.

Steve, awesome race as always! Did you train at altitude to prepare? (sorry if I missed it earlier this year) Last year I did some training in Big Sky MT (about 5000 ft) and I did feel how thin it is. But it felt clean and great, compared to my smog-infested, stuffy DC air.

Welcome Bwells and Kev! Kev that's a HM split I'd kill for.
2015-08-11 1:08 PM
in reply to: #5075206

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Dennis - tell me more about Lake T's swim clinics. I really need some open water swim tips and practice. Didn't see any mention on their fb page
2015-08-11 2:20 PM

Hello, my name is Rachel and this is my first time POSTING in BT. I have no idea what I'm doing but my husband suggested one of the mentoring programs so here I am - trying to find one. Am I too late? When I read about these programs it said they only went through April/May of each year. I just did my first sprint tri in June, I have another next month and I have a HIM next April so I WILL be training through the winter to get where I need to be. I would really like to be a part of this group if it's still active. Thanks!
2015-08-11 3:24 PM
in reply to: momcom5

User image

Originally posted by momcom5

Hello, my name is Rachel and this is my first time POSTING in BT. I have no idea what I'm doing but my husband suggested one of the mentoring programs so here I am - trying to find one. Am I too late? When I read about these programs it said they only went through April/May of each year. I just did my first sprint tri in June, I have another next month and I have a HIM next April so I WILL be training through the winter to get where I need to be. I would really like to be a part of this group if it's still active. Thanks!

Welcome Rachel! One smart husband you got there =)

Kev/Rachel - I think one piece of advice is keep your training log on here up to date as much as possible. Steve (mentor) will look at them from time to time and provide feedback as you progress. He is spot on IMHO.

Mitzi - OW swim....stay calm and line up on the outside of the crowd and swim on the outside as much as possible. No need to tangle with the riffraff yet. Oh, also a saying I was taught in my former life...."breathe air, drink water". So simple a concept but yet so hard to follow at times.

Phil - you don't run the W&OD trail? Can't remember the name of the other one near the Armory. I use to live in the area as well. Hated biking there personally. Hope you are enjoying your new bike! We have set a hurdle for me to jump over before I get a new bike =(

Day 1 of 40k TT training for me. I predict pain. Lot's of pain.
2015-08-11 9:39 PM

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Evening all....

Another Tuesday, another day of rain... Good race, it actually didn't rain during the race, started pouring while I was in the shower.

Overcast, wet, which made the trail pretty packed down. I was thinking nice - faster, especially with the bike. I had increased the air pressure as the trails weren't that rough last week - 35 in rear (hard tail) and 40 in front. This worked well.

Second fastest bike - last race of last year bike was a bit faster. Another PR on the run - good transitions - another PR overall.  https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/862713675

Swim 11:53
T1 1:19
Bike 29:56
T2 1:00
Run 37:45 (PR)

Total 1:21:52 (PR)

Swim is getting very hectic in the pack. I was actually punched in the side of my head - still sore now. Looked up and saw a guy to my right. Shook my head, put my face in the water and took off. Didn't notice the pain until after the race in the shower. Now I am feeling a bit of a headache and it is sore to the touch. I NEED to get faster and get ahead of these bozos.

Will take it easy tomorrow (swim?) and another race on Thursday evening @ Lake Terramuggus.

Brad - keep posting your workouts and races, truly an inspiration. Will be nice to see the speeds you get in your TT.

Jimmy - Nice ride / brick! I hear you on keeping with the training plan, it's not easy. Flexibility is key. Thanks for a great example. (Steve was a great example in his race report of flexibility and changing on the fly...)

Kev - welcome! This is a great group. Steve is an awesome mentor and role model. Brad is a triathlon animal too. A lot of talent here. Ask questions, keep moving. Great times on your run <jealous>. I hear you on the goals.. One at a time... My first HIM in a month.. (getting nervous...) Will see what happens afterwards... I am thinking full in 2017? Again, see what happens after the half.

Steve - why should long run NOT be more than half your miles for the week? I have a hard time doing more than 3 runs... so my long is usually much more than 50%? This week 2 of the runs will be in sprints so only 5k each. Sunday I am thinking of 10 ish miles. Saturday Bike will be shorter than last week as I have more than enough miles for the HIM. Thinking the next couple weeks working on the swim / run more than bike. Thoughts?

Phil - nice to see you keeping busy. Still see your activity on connect. Yes, I am fortunate there is a lot of events locally. The Thursday nights can be every week too. Terramuggus and Cedar Lake. I am thinking Cedar Lake is done on Thursday's - last one this Sunday. Haven't done any there yet.. maybe next year. New bikes are nice!! I ordered a seat Adamo road saddle - found a deal on Amazon so will try it out.

Mitzi - Jeff Stuart is the coach (world champion swimmer) - coordinates through HEAT. No need to be a Heat Member. Every Wednesday at 6:30 - third bench. Only been to one evening. He runs swim clinics in fall and winter on Sunday am 10:00 am. Think these are in West Hartford? I can send you more details. I will be signing up for these. I may also look to have a few private sessions with him at LA Fitness soon.

Rachel - welcome... Husbands are usually smart. ;-) Great group here... Ditto what Brad said... This forum goes pretty  much all year..  Last year (first year for me) I took off during October - December. Will not do that this year.

Well, time to hit the hay.. Have a great night, post again after Thursday - with more GOOD news!!

Best,
-Dennis

2015-08-11 9:43 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Rachel, welcome. I tend to run the group year round and keep the door open. Even if you fall out of sorts for a while check in once in a while. We have folks that check in a couple times a year, but it is best for the group if folks post something once a week or whatever.

I was up and down all over the place the month prior to the race 1000 feet to 4400 feet, so some altitude, but not enough to have no altitude effects.
2015-08-13 10:34 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome!

NAME: Rachel

STORY: My husband has been doing sprint distance triathlon's since before I met him which is how I was introduced to the sport. At my first race I was in awe of all the different shapes and sizes and ages of all of the athletes. I felt really inspired that maybe I could do something that I considered GREAT with my body. I started training in all 3 sports with an emphasis on running but regularly had knee pain. I would stop training in an effort to let my knee heal and once the pain went away I would start training again only to end up with the same pain. Eventually I quit working out altogether because the pain was too great. Unfortunately the knee pain lingered for 2 years even though I wasn't even doing anything! In those 2 years I got pregnant, had my youngest son. Shortly after returning to work after having my son I was moved into a different position at work that was much more demanding than my old position. I feel that because of stress I ended up losing 25 pounds in 3 months which was incredibly unhealthy for me because I was already small to begin with. After enduring about 4 more months of being completely stressed to the max I decided that my job was not worth my healthy. I started packing tons of food in my lunches again, drinking lots of water and prepared to start working out again. I was going to take back my life and get my weight and sanity back. I decided I was going to focus on only running and train for a marathon. Unfortunately after 2 weeks of running on my still pained knee my knee completely stopped working during a workout. It was completely loose and I felt like I had no control over it. My brain was telling it to bend and it wouldn't comply. I finally went to the doctor. Over the next few months we were able to determine that my patella just sits high on my knee and causes rubbing. It's just the way my body is built but I have no cartilage damage or anything that actually needed fixed. Through physical therapy I was able to strengthen my other muscles to alleviate the rubbing of my patella and VOILA! I can run again and I have NO PAIN! But my doctor also told me that it would probably be best if I went back to triathlon training since the other sports would take the place of ongoing PT. So that's where I am now. I started training again maybe in March and I was training really strong until I went on vacation a few weeks ago. I got really sick once coming back from vacation and haven't been able to get back on the wagon 100%. I love running, I hate cycling and I'm frustrated with swimming at this point. I used to swim like a turtle (with my head out of the water ALL THE TIME) but I worked with a coach recently and learned out to swim properly but I've lost all of my endurance trying to re-learn so that has been a hard pill to swallow.

FAMILY STATUS: I live with my husband and our 3 boys (10, 6 & 2). We are a blended family that seems to never stop. My husband and I both work and struggle to find a balance to work/kids/home/training.

CURRENT TRAINING: Umm, what's on my calendar or what I'm actually doing? I went on vacation a few weeks ago and then got really sick and apparently with all of that I've kind of fallen off of the bus. I schedule 2 runs, 2 bikes, and 3 swims each week. I'm trying to build my base to start the HIM training program from here. I will try to update my training log on here.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2015): I did my first race - Playtri Festival Super Sprint which became a duathlon because we had a lot of flooding here back in the spring. I am scheduled to do another sprint tri 9/12/15 - The Prairieman. Then my next scheduled race is my HIM next April - the Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans.

2014 RACES: None.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm actually gaining weight with my workouts and that's how I knew I needed to get back into working out. I'd lost a lot of weight (muscle mass) and was having issues. So I'm eating better and working out again and so far I've gained 15 pounds back putting me at 125 (i'm 5'7''). I feel like this is a happy place for me to be and my doctor likes it too.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'm really hungry to be able to ask questions and get real answers. Obviously what I'm doing is not working for me as a long term lifestyle change and I need some guidance.

Edited by momcom5 2015-08-13 10:37 AM
2015-08-13 4:38 PM
in reply to: #5075206

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Phil, will this be your first HIM?

Rachel, a big mistake most of us make is pushing too hard in beginning workouts. I learned from Steve - when he starts a new season he starts with something like running a minute/walk two and he ends up doing ironmans. I've found the trick is to keep adding so that you can go farther with LESS effort. Too much too hard leads to injuries. When you get the distances you can add in some speed work. Do you do any protein shakes? Some have a good amount of calories without lots of sugar or fats.
Mitzi
2015-08-13 9:42 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Rachel, Mitzi has it down pat. This week I went on 3 x3 mile runs... walking the first half mile, jogging the next, walking the next. I just did the IM 10 days ago, so that is where I am at. I have to stay on muscle balance issues in my shoulder from swimming or I get impingement issues. When I have a pulled muscle in my knee I will walk 4x4 miles a week until I can rebuild a walk /jog program to all jog and then run. After taking time off your fitness will take a while to come back, but it will come back faster than if you had no fitness before taking your break. You can't fix the past so it is just evaluating where you are at now and building without overdoing it. For your HIM you will probably be doing 4x run, 3x bike 3x swim a week. Have a safe easy stroke for swimming and then also have freestyle, so if you get kicked in the nose or just need a breather you can get settled back down and then back in the race.

I view endurance exercise as a lifestyle not just a bucket list thing and this will be the hardest year ever fitting everything in. I moved and took on a new management job that has me learning a lot and working late. I am tempted to not sign up for an IM this year, but I know that I will and will just need to maintain some boundaries with work and workouts.

Welcome to the journey, everyone's path is different, and just as valid. You won't find a more solid, friendly group than this one, just ask them... Oh and you don't have to pee on the bike unless you are within 5 seconds of qualifying for Kona, just sayin.
2015-08-14 11:30 PM
in reply to: #5134840

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
On vacation and no one wanted to supervise six teenagers hiking up Mt Washington, so I did it. I stayed behind with one who needed to go really slow which was fine by me. So we spent five hours climbing the tallest mountain in New England. Miles of it were very steep. Felt pretty strong until the last half mile. Now I'm hoping the pain in the back of my leg above my right ankle is temporary. Not quite taking it easy as Steve told me too. Did get a kick out of huffing and puffing less than many people younger than me. Tomorrow is a five hour kayak run.

2015-08-15 10:20 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Good job on the mountain!

Just back from a ride and need to clean the bike a bit, anyone have any tips or tricks?

Just a long run and a swim tomorrow and I'm into a recovery week, whats on everyone else's plans for the weekend?
2015-08-15 12:27 PM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Welcome Rachel, I'm sure you have some idea of what you're doing cuz you're already a tri veteran with a sprint under your belt! Your persistence in seeing 3 separate doctors is awesome. My wife, I think, has the kneecap rub issue too (she should go see the doc) but if you could lemme know what those exercises were to strengthen the knee muscles I'd appreciate it!

Brad, I agree the biking here is annoying. There aren't many long stretches of bike trail without an intersection with roads. Just did the W&OD earlier this week. I've only done that armory one (I think it's the Anacostia trail) a few times as it's not as close to my house as W&OD and Mt Vernon. BTW doesn't look like you need a new bike, that Cervelo looks like it's still going strong. I sold my last tri bike 3 years ago and have been using my road for double duty. Not optimal.

Dennis, so you're telling me there are two weekly tri events. Even better! Anyway, I also use an Adamo, the Podium. I like the split noses for tri position. I'm intrigued by the Dash tri saddles and the Selle Italia Iron ones. I might try those if I can find a demo, but the Adamo works wonders for me. Any plans for aero helmet and deep section rims? :-P

Mitzi, this will be my 2nd. My first was last year. It went great until I fell apart in the run--I blame it on the heat. I missed my goal of sub-6:00 because my run aeraged over 11:00-mi.

Kev, I'd start with the drivetrain: use degreaser and a chain cleaner, and a chainring brush and get as much crap off as you can. If it'd bad, I usually take off my cassette and chain and soak it overnight in citrus degreaser. Don't forget to lube the chain when you're done. I use this dry lube (teflon i think) for my drivetrain. For the frame and other parts I use these things called Veloshine (they're a local company), just glorified baby wipes. I start with the frame, then wipe everything else, finishing with the wheels. If you have a caron wheelset, any household cleaner would work (I read Windex or 409 on the internet works), then I go over the brake surface with acetone or rubbing alcohol, and sand the brake pads to resurface them.

This week I had a long 10-mi run on Tues, a soccer match on Wed, and biked about 30 mi each on Thurs and Fri. This week was also my birthday week-- turned 33 on Wednesday. So my week included large dinners and irresponsible amounts of alcohol. I think I gained 5 lbs in 7 days. Today I'm going hiking with the wife and dog.
2015-08-15 1:31 PM

User image

Originally posted by Kjl82
Just a long run and a swim tomorrow and I'm into a recovery week, whats on everyone else's plans for the weekend?

My weekend will consist of my legs hating me. Saturday is 40' easy run, 2hr bike @ sub-puke constant effort then Sunday is 2.5 hr bike at puke effort. Is it time for a swim session yet?

Enjoy the recovery week.
2015-08-15 4:04 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Park Tool Chain Gang Chain Cleaning System is what I use. All in on the cypress degreaser for the chain. I run the chain through the thingy with the degreaser once, then fill it with soapy water for 2nd run through, then clean water for the rinse, then dry the chain. I then take the chain off and use a toothbrush with a little of that degreaser on it and clean the cogs, dry everything off, put tire back on and oil the chain with whatever and then use an old shirt to wipe off the excess gently from the chain. It is the oil inside the links that works, the oil outside the chain collects dirt. For the rest of the bike I just use gentle soap in water (like the soap you use on your dishes in the sink before putting them in the dishwasher). You can use others stuffs if ya want. It helps to put the bike on a stand (I use a board across a chair and fence) to hold the back tire off the ground when spinning the chain through the mechanism. Very high tech.

45 mile bike ride today... was too much, oh well. Should have just held it to 30 ish. But I saw someone cycling so I wanted to join in with him and chat about the local area and stuffs.
2015-08-15 6:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Welcome Kev and Rachel!

Rachel, I'm like you - I haven't learned to love cycling yet. I decide last weekend tho that I'm going to do Ride for Hope next June tho.

For Phil's wife, I'll try to explain a knee exercise that my doctor told me in case it helps. Place feet about 3 inches from the wall, about hip width, maybe a little further. Place back against the wall. Slide down the wall while trying to keep your knees as parallel to the wall as possible. It almost looks like a squat - but it's most definitely not. A squat would allow you to dip lower and the knees would be over the feet. This is with the legs as close to parallel to the wall as possible but in actuality the knees go outside of the feet and you won't be able to dip very low. My doctor gave that to me when I blew my knees out and I would do at various times during the day for a total of 50 a day. Was good as new in a week of so.

Mitzi, good for you on chaperoning the kids.

I chaperoned a field trip with the church Wed. It was supposed to be leisure tubing. It wasn't. Had to climb up on a boardwalk to get out. Then some girls asked to chaperone them down a stream so I had to climb down from the boardwalk (about 15 feet) and help them over and under logs for quite a distance and then repeat to get them back. Then I had to gather of lots of tubes that our kids let go and get all of them out of the water, climb back up the boardwalk, and then carry the tubes back to the beach area. I was so sore the next day. I think it was all of the climbing.

As for this weekend, today was a long run. Tomorrow will be a sorta long run after early church. Then I plan to float in the pool and be lazy.

Steve, sounds like you are at the new location. Is your family moving too or will you be there temp and travel home at various times?

Saw my neighbor boy as I was coming back from my long run. This is the kid that I took to school for 2 years with my son; now they both drive in. His family is probably going to be moving this year and they hope that he can finish his senior year before the move. If not, I've told them that he can come live with us to finish up the school year. Sad to see them go.

Today is Day 14 of Whole30. Going well and thankfully, the horrible rash has not appeared on my legs after my runs since I've been on Whole30. So possibly I have some sort of food allergy. Or maybe it was some sort of heat rash but the last couple of long runs have still been in rather hot temps. But when I start adding back foods into my diet, I'm going to be monitoring it to see if it's a food or heat.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Edited by Pink Socks 2015-08-15 6:23 PM

2015-08-16 8:22 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Dennis, thanks for noticing , keep on keeping on!

Welcome Rachel and Kev!

Mitzi, what did you think of mount washington? That was the road race that I ran up the mountain a few months ago! I LOVED the view from up there, I went up twice when I was living up there and both times were mostly clear.

Good work on the diet Pam

I had to skip my swim on Friday because there was quite literally not enough time in the day. I wasn't able to fit it in before work, then I started biking immediately after getting off of work (from my work parking lot), 4 hours later I drove home and it was 9:30 before I got home . I guess I'll have to find a way to swim before work on my long days.

2 months and 22 days until the IM

Happy training!

2015-08-16 12:16 PM
in reply to: jimmybags

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Welcome to Rachel and Kev! Steve is right....this is a very supportive and friendly group that is also family friendly.

Jimmy -- good call. Sleep is important too!

Pam -- ha, the float trip sounds leisurely for all except for you, the chaperone! Congrats on the Whole 30 possibly narrowing down what's triggering the rash. Inviting another teen to live in your house....you are brave and good hearted.

Steve -- I love it, you are encountering other people on your ride! Welcome to the "neighbor zone" in your new community.

Brad -- good going on the intensity on the bike.

Phil -- happy birthday a bit late. Enjoy the bounciness of being 33!

Dennis -- ouch on the punching match in the water, and congrats for coming out with a PR!

Mitzi -- how fun that you can get out and really enjoy your vacation. Great reward for all the work you have put into your fitness. I really want to try kayaking, so please share some about that when you can.

Whole 30 has also been good for me. Can't say I've totally stuck to it, but down 5 lbs, so I'll take it. I've pretty much eliminated grains and sugar, which pushes me to more healthy options and makes it harder to snack. All good things. We are at peak of summer heat here, which if you've been around here for a while know it's my least fav time outside. But heat relented a bit this weekend, and I'm getting out to ride and walk as much as I can. I'm off work on Mon/Tue. First time this year I've been off work other than being with my FIL as he passed and the funeral.

2015-08-17 1:16 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Sorry I haven't replied in a while guys n gals... too much open water swimming in Longmont hit me with West Nile :-( I've been recovering for an absolute age! It seems that those pesky mosquitos that carry this awful thing are in large quantity in Longmont and Weld County, CO - where I was swimming. For those of you who don't know what West Nile is, it doesn't really affect 95% of people... but those other 5% get pretty bad symptoms and unfortunately, I was in that 5% where it was affecting my balance, coordination (even my hand-writing), muscle and motor control, etc. It's pretty crappy.

Anyway, I'm on the upswing and have started to pick things up again in prep for the Boulder Sunset Olympic Tri going on in 2 weeks. This is my first Tri (didn't sign up for the Sprint as I wanted to push myself hard) but with this illness kicking my butt, I really am not ready... even for a Sprint. My focus is just on completing it, not racing myself or setting a PR in any discipline.

I tried to work out a couple weeks ago but barely got 6 lengths in at my local pool before breathing and ocordination hindered me so am extremely worried about my swim portion, but feel confident in my run as I had bought myself a nice new pair of Newtons and hit an 8 miler on Saturday, so I still have the endurance, just not the speed (9:30-10min/mile). My bike is also generally fine, I have enough gym miles and road miles in the saddle to feel comfortable with the Oly distance.

Anyway, just wanted to jump back on and give y'all an update. I haven't had a chance to read through the many new pages since my last visit here, so I'll do that soon and reply :-) Train well, everyone!

David
2015-08-17 5:27 PM
in reply to: RookeyDavid

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Glad you are OK, David! Neuroinvasive west nile is a bad bug. We've had a few folks die from it locally. Trucks were in our neighborhood last week spraying after positive samples. I didn't realize it had made it's way to CO as well. Good that you are going to take it easy and not stress your system too much after all that.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.