BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2015-08-26 10:31 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)
Had to look up what the zipper drill was, and it looks to be a combination of two drills I learned as a youngster. Thumb drag, and ketchup/catch-up drills. Same concept, but yeah. I think maybe a better way of explaining is that if you split up your stroke into a pull and a recovery (out of water), your recovery time (the time your arm is out of the water) should be significantly shorter than your pull, maybe by half or so? If you slow down the video, you'll notice that when one hand enters the water, your other hand is at our waist, or past it. Compare this with Sun Yang's stroke: when his hand enters the water, his other hand is maybe at his shoulder. This allows his to pull with both hands for a good duration of the stroke.

Mitzi, another thing that might help is maximizing your pull. I notice at the end of the pull, you bend your elbow and lift your hand out of the water. Next time, pull all the way til your arm is extended. This will do a number on your triceps at the beginning. Your hand should exit the water with your arm straight and your palm upward.

2015-08-27 5:31 AM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Mitzi - First congrats on the OLY! Super awesome you have one under your belt now. The experience gained is the most valuable tool in the early ones. Great job once again.

Do not focus on placing pre-tri. Put forth the best you have that day and let the cards fall where they may. We can't control who shows up to race. Easier said than done I know.

Swimming. Keep in mind I am not a fish so take from this what you may.

Your stroke is not that bad at all. I actually think it looks pretty good for the speed you are going. I think Steve was correct in his very first post. You need swim specific fitness first and foremost. While working on this fitness you can work on little technique issues. The hips/legs will raise with the speed developed through fitness. Your hips/legs sinking are a function of your speed. Same concept of flaps on an airplane. The air hitting the flaps under the wing want to push the flaps straight. Same with the water hitting your legs as you swim. Faster you swim, the more force hitting your legs to help raise them. Basic I know.

The only way to get that fitness is to get in the pool/OW more and concentrate on getting the heart rate elevated some. You have to get out of the comfort zone a little. If you can't devote a minimum of 3x a week at ~hour long sessions then I am afraid the fitness and technique will never come/ingrain. I would prefer to see 5x a week from you but I do not know your schedule. I know we train around our responsibilities. Part of the puzzle to developing a training program or annual training plan (ATP).

Couple thoughts from me and my experience:

1) The "S" pull shape was indeed a thing of the 80's. It has since been shown to be slower than a straight pull through with the hand. As for triathletes, do what is comfortable to you I say. The time difference is miniscule.

2) Cupping the hands has been shown to be slower than having your fingers slightly apart. As the water tries to slip between the fingers pressure is built up since not all the water can fit between the fingers all at once. In essence you have created a tiny paddle by fingers apart. Once again, I say do what is comfortable. For me the time difference is ~1" per 100m on my very very scientific experiment of trying it on back to back 100m. With that, I can do 10 x 100m and come in within half a second difference on all of them so the 1" might be pretty accurate.

3) I am going to have to respectfully disagree with the pull to straight arm (if I am understanding the post correctly). Get the hand to your hip and exit the water and start the recovery. You want your lat muscles working, not your triceps. Way more power from the lats. No need to delay re-engaging the lats by pulling further down the body line with the hand using a smaller muscle group (triceps as mentioned).

4) Total Immersion (TI) - hate it for OWS. Too many reasons to list here. USRPT is a better guideline to follow IMHO. And again, do what you feel is best for you and your goals though.

5) Gliding is the OWS enemy. As Steve had mentioned, turn over rate or strokes per minute is the key to a successful OWS. This will be very uncomfortable at first why you are developing your fitness from it. This is currently what I am working on for myself.

With all of this, keep in mind. There is no magical drill that will make anyone a better swimmer quickly. I wouldn't even sweat the drills right now. Use them for warm up/cool down but focus on fitness development for a bit. If you or anyone want help in some ideas to help develop swim fitness, just let me know. More than happy to pass on what has helped me get to where I am.

Enjoy the journey and smile often.

West Nile...WTH?!? And CO is on my short list to move to next fall.

Dennis - I am not a cheese fan believe it or not. Only mozzarella on pizza. Can't stand cheese otherwise. I am odd I now. Speaking of pizza-it's homemade pizza night at my house. Oh yeah!

I can't remember everything else I read. lol. Goes with getting old territory I guess. I can barely remember to hit lap on my watch anymore.

My 40k TT I am putting on hold. I am not happy with the fitness I carried over from Eagleman so long slow rides for bit. Sigh....
2015-08-27 5:36 AM
in reply to: scubabrad02

User image

Steve - question for you since training guidelines were brought up.

Do you always go by distance or use time at points? I ask because with varying terrain/environmental conditions a 50 mile ride might take 2.5 hours one day or maybe 3.5 hours on a different day/course. Same with the run obviously.

Do you account for the different training stresses or just hold to the mileage guideline regardless of the external factors?
2015-08-27 8:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Originally posted by scubabrad02

3) I am going to have to respectfully disagree with the pull to straight arm (if I am understanding the post correctly). Get the hand to your hip and exit the water and start the recovery. You want your lat muscles working, not your triceps. Way more power from the lats. No need to delay re-engaging the lats by pulling further down the body line with the hand using a smaller muscle group (triceps as mentioned).

No wrries, different stroke for different folks, guess In case theres any misunderstanding, here's a good reference explaining what i'm talking about (and an awesome drill to work on those weaker tri muscles) http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_swim/tno_swimarticle_13.asp
Fig. 2 there shows that full arm extension at the back of your stroke.

As far as your distance question, I almost always do it by distance for runs. I need to have a goal so that I can achieve it, as opposed to biking where I can just go out and ride wherever the bike takes me. Might be a mental thing for me, since running has long been my weakest link. I don't know what's right or better, so I'm also looking for tips regarding that. UPDATE: now that I think about it, I do my swims based on distance too. I think my mentality is if I do it by time, I might want to slack off and I'd get less of a workout.

Edited by phifatech 2015-08-27 8:59 AM
2015-08-27 9:35 AM
in reply to: phifatech

Blairstown, NJ
Phil - The diagram you posted looks good.

Brad - I agree with your notion that Lats are contributing more to your power that smaller muscle groups. Don't discount the contribution of the tri's or even a flip of the wrist and the end of your extension. Swimming, depending on fitness levels, strength, and goal, can be worked many different ways. Your body can act like a flap of an airplane which is intended to create drag. That is the reason body position is emphasized and you do not need to go fast to get better body position. You need to lower your head and chest so that the legs do not have to compensate. Minimize the drag first, then work your turn over, arm extension, kick, etc.

Swimming is all these things so it might even make sense to breakup the work out(s) into drills for the body position, turn over, arm extension, Kick.. and this is often done to help isolate the muscle groups even for experienced swimmers.
2015-08-27 9:42 AM

Blairstown, NJ
Brad - You definitely need to account for terrain. An easy ride probably wont be easy for most of us if there is 2-3000' climbs but for some pro's this might be a walk in the park. Not sure how best to account for that in time. If you look at training plans though they often have some RPE listed which might be converted into heart rate training zones. It is really your perceived effort along with the training plan which guides you to the answer your looking for.

2015-08-27 3:55 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by phifatech

Thumb drag, and catch-up drills.

Originally posted by phifatech
Next time, pull all the way til your arm is extended. This will do a number on your triceps at the beginning. Your hand should exit the water with your arm straight and your palm upward.

Yep, correcting body position comes first. I would say these 3 drills are the next best thing.
Thumb drag will help recovery arm position, catch-up drill will force you to maximize your pull and pulling all the way to your hip (I can confirm triceps will scream at you at first!!) will add forward propulsion.

By just focusing on these 3 drills this year I was able to easily cut almost 2 minutes from my 750meters time. I was just swimming twice a week too, so I was impressed with the result. Keep at it!

Edited by isabella969 2015-08-27 4:02 PM
2015-08-27 10:56 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I do my workouts by distance because I race by distance. There is a theoretical control used in timed workouts, but if you are doing a loop of known distance it is hard to stop 10 miles from home because it was windy. For me it is just easier to plan the route for distance and then if I go faster I get done sooner 8). At the qualifying for Kona end of the performance scale there is something to be said for precicly measuring time by effort in workout zones to perfectly balance heartbeats of effort in each zone to maximize fitness gain and recovery time. So if you like a predictable linear workout where you run 30 miles on week 1 and 32 miles on week two, distance is for you. If you only have 45 minutes to get a run in with a busy schedule then time is fine and the distance will take care of itself. If you are Kona bound at the pointy end (one of our members here) then time in workout zones might work for you, but it takes a lot more planning for your training plan. To do it right you have a 10x complexity to your workout routine. For the rest of us, meh do what works for you.
2015-08-28 2:09 AM

User image

Originally posted by Baowolf

I do my workouts by distance because I race by distance. There is a theoretical control used in timed workouts, but if you are doing a loop of known distance it is hard to stop 10 miles from home because it was windy. For me it is just easier to plan the route for distance and then if I go faster I get done sooner 8). At the qualifying for Kona end of the performance scale there is something to be said for precicly measuring time by effort in workout zones to perfectly balance heartbeats of effort in each zone to maximize fitness gain and recovery time. So if you like a predictable linear workout where you run 30 miles on week 1 and 32 miles on week two, distance is for you. If you only have 45 minutes to get a run in with a busy schedule then time is fine and the distance will take care of itself. If you are Kona bound at the pointy end (one of our members here) then time in workout zones might work for you, but it takes a lot more planning for your training plan. To do it right you have a 10x complexity to your workout routine. For the rest of us, meh do what works for you.

Steve - thanks for the reply. Was curious how you approached your planning and training.

Phil - your picture cleared it up. It is showing a bent elbow on the last picture same as I was trying to convey. "Straight arm" had me picturing just that in my head...a straight arm. We are talking the same language now

Joe - I develop my own training plan and actually the metric that is the driving force of it is the training stress score (TSS) of the session. That guides my planning which is why I was curious how Steve and others approached planning/training. Finding TSS is only as good as the inputs which is why I do not use RPE to guide my bike/run training. Jan '14 is when I learned to ride a bike at age 40. I wouldn't have known what RPE to assign to the bike sessions back then, they all were 10 to me I did know though that 200w for 20' will get me this TSS through the formula . This is how I came to use TSS for my plans. That and Friel came recommended so I bought his bible.

Swim is all RPE (easy, medium, tempo, fast) since swim TSS (sTSS) algorithm is worthless IMO without knowing a definitive HR or power. I did notice Garmin now has a HRM for the swim out. Interesting. I won't be purchasing it though. Too old and stubborn to change my swimming ways now.

In the end my view on all of this is do what you have the most fun with. I enjoy the science behind it. Some do not. My wife hates all this factoring, metrics, etc. She is an RPE athlete. She is making gains on her program so is one way better over the other? Beats me which is why I say go with what gives you the most enjoyment in life.

2015-08-28 3:55 PM

User image

Wish me luck everyone! First tri is tomorrow... the Oly Boulder Sunset!

Should be interesting after the recent illness but I feel I'm ready to at least complete it.

In addition, I'm looking into sorting out my nutrition for it. Can one of you awesome nutrition people let me know if I'm on target at all for a Oly distance?

10 mins prior to the swim - Gu Chomp
1 bottle of water/skratch for the ride
Gu Chomp 3 miles before dismount
Water/Gatorade at the aid stations on the run

Thanks,
David
2015-08-28 8:03 PM
in reply to: RookeyDavid

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Good luck, remember to smile!

2015-08-28 9:16 PM
in reply to: Kjl82

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
10 mins prior to the swim - Gu Chomp (chop = 25 calories, so eat 4 = 100 calories or 1 GU gel equivalent) 100
1 bottle of water/skratch for the ride (not sure how many calorie in your scratch mix (probably need 250 to 350 calories on the bike) 200
Gu Chomp 3 miles before dismount (again 25 calories if you do 4 you get 100 calories here) 100
Water/Gatorade at the aid stations on the run (cup of gatoraide is rougly 25 calories so 3-4 oz per mile = +50 calories may want to add 1 or 2 chomps, but should be fine if you got the 350 on the bike (50)

Part of this depends on how long you need to complete the race. Swim 10-15 min , bike 1:30 ish, run 30 ish so maybe 2:20 total = 350+50, 400-450 total.

Let me know if that makes sense.
2015-08-29 2:13 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Saw 6 people cycling today on my 40 mile bike ride and like 3 people jogging. Yes that is a lot for me. Unfortunately I got a flat about 20 mile out that probably toasts that tire and then the spare tube had a bad valve, glad I had both a spare tire and another spare tube to get me home. There is some road construction and some rocks from steep banks close to roads, meh. May need to get some sturdier road tires for nonraces. There was a group of 3 cyclist that were doing a lap of the lake (65-70 miles) that were nice and asked if I was alright with the bike fix. I tried to catch them after I got the tire back on, but never saw them (they had about a 5 minute headstart). Oh well, back home. There was a nice portion of the ride that was along the north end of the lake. Really made me want to buy a house on the lake, but... don't; have the $$$$.

Enjoy your weekend workouts.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-08-29 2:22 PM
2015-08-30 11:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
David - hope the oly went well! Let us know.

Thanks Carol, you've heard me talk about an oly for a long time!

Joe, yeah my neck hurts.
Phil - congrats on your awesome times.

Again - thanks to everyone who gave swim advice - you are all helpful (though I have to read and re-read the advice) and very positive and supportive.

I'm going to be a downer today. Signed up for a sprint to support a friend - she didn't make it but I did it this morning. Was glad to use my wetsuit, but it seemed to only make things worse. I swear driftwood came in before me, but I wasn't the last one out. Never caught my breathe, but I think I tried for a faster stroke.
It was a women's tri so I think I underestimated the competition. Thought the bike was good, passed lots of people. The run was very hilly and on rocks and sand but I never walked, also passed lots of people. At the end I saw a woman in my age category and I gave it all I had to pass her. Ran it in.

YET, my time was the same as it was with my first sprint years ago. Somehow I was no faster than I was in my oly last week.
I started training earlier, went slow to avoid injuries and can now run 6 miles which I have never done. When I workout I workout hard (except in swimming) though I've been very inconsistent with workouts - so I can do the race, but not well. But still.....

Usually I'm excited to get to work for the next race, but today I'm wondering if this is really for me. I guess I need to start earlier next year, be more consistent and stick with oly distance. I've increased my distances but not my speed, I can work on that more if I can get my distances in earlier next spring so I can get more speed work in.

Oh well, will get the report up soon.

Mitzi
2015-08-30 1:50 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Mitzi, was this the same race as your previous race. It sounds like the race course is probably harder than your previous race. The average IM pace at Arizona is probably 2 hours faster than the average pace at IM Tahoe. This is because of a course issue. Trail runs are also always slower than pavement runs. With training you have your basic fitness training that gets you able to cover the distance, but then getting faster sometimes takes twice as much work. Olympic 1 mile competitors run 100 miles a week. So they do a boat load of work for a very short race. So once again you were out there getting it done and "not the last one out of the water" and "passed people on the bike and the run." That sounds much better than sitting on the couch and not bothering to try something that is so hard that only about 1 in 10,000 people even attempt them. Chin up, everyone in this group belongs here.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-08-30 2:17 PM
2015-08-30 8:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Mitzi, WTG on not only the OLY but the sprint tri!!! You are kicking butt and taking names. So glad you did the OLY. And yes, exactly what Steve says regarding the same time on the sprint tri. Race course (and temps) determine a lot of things.

Joe, so glad to see you back!

Steve, glad that you encountering others on your training rides and runs. Makes things more interesting.

David, so how did it go today? Hope it was great!

2015-08-30 10:05 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Hey all.... Basically "training" is done..  Taper time..  Saturday 50 miles on the bike w/ 4,000 feet of climbing @ 12 - 13 MPH average. Sunday 8 mile run, negative split.. 12:24 /mi overall. (was going to do 12, had to cut it short for my grand daughter's birthday party.. )

Not enough swimming..  never got to the pool Thursday / Friday last week..  Will be concentrating on pool work over the next few weeks.

Mitzi - don''t worry about speed...  You are out there, having fun!! Keep going if you are having fun!!  Time, distance, speed will come..  

Steve, nice to see you are going to an active community. I see anywhere from 10 - 20 bikers and at least a dozen runners on most rides over 35 - 40 miles. Just around my neighborhood I will see quite a few peeps as well. When I am working around the house I constantly see people running / biking by..  Keeps me motivated and wanting to get back out there.  Maybe I need to see more people swimming?

Brad - interested in hearing more about TSS...  Always looking for ways to improve.

David - how did you make out?

Have a good night, keep moving...

-Dennis

2015-08-31 10:35 AM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Hi all,

Well, that was an interesting one for sure... BRUTAL conditions! But... I completed it :-)

It was an interesting Oly as it ended up being a long distance swim instead of a standard Oly distance. Not sure what happened but the swim was 1.6 miles, ride was 26 and the run was 6.2 (as usual). It took me an absolute age, and was in 100 degree heat at 6k elevation, but I did it and that is the main thing for me.

Previously, the longest swim I'd ever done was 1/4 mile in one go, so that's a huge achievement in itself. My times were appalling but at least I now have a target to beat for the next time!

Swim: 59:26
T1: 6:31
Bike: 1:45:15
T2: 3:00
Run: 1:31:18

Total: 4:25:32
2015-08-31 12:51 PM
in reply to: RookeyDavid

Blairstown, NJ
Dave - Congrats!
Dennis - Thanks. Nice to see you are still at it!
Mitzi - Every race you finish is a good race. I raced a 1/2 last year and building up the base to get there did not help my speed at all. There was a trade off and your building up to a new race distance is great. Keep at it and remember how hard and long a road it has been because running continuously and over tough courses is not small feat. That is an incredible take away from this race. Great Job!
Brad - The science fascinates me as well. This sport has so many variables that I tend to take the what work for you approach as well. Sorry for the lack of intro. Be glad to hear more about the TSS too. Is that relate to training peaks?

I am in my 4th year of tri and just turned 49. I am married with a step son 24, and daughter 15. Tri's started as a get healthy effort when a friend suggested a local race and I have been hooked. I joined Steve's group a few years back and he always has great advise and manages to inspire all. Career and personal life took over this year. I have managed to stay in descent shape and completed one sprint this year al be it my slowest time yet. Look forward to next year and maybe see if HIM #2 is in the cards.

Pam - Thanks, baseball still keeping you busy?
Steve - Nice to see you have found a new place. I am working on a move myself. Only about 15 mile away but should cut my work commute and get more training time in
2015-08-31 8:30 PM
in reply to: Tri-solar

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Congrats Dave! Sounds like you have some good takeaways from the race.

With leaves starting to showup on the ground, Im thinking ahead to winter and looking bike trainers. Anyone have one they'd recommend?

Seen it mentioned but didnt see an explanation for it, is it necessary to have a "trainer" tire you use only on the bike trainer?
2015-09-01 12:21 AM
in reply to: Kjl82

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I have a Cyclops fluid trainer and have ridden maybe 15k miles with no issue. A trainer tire will last forever or you can just chew up old tires you are afraid to get farther than 10 miles from home on. Just don't ride outside on your trainer tire, the rubber is too stiff.

There are some folks who exercise here, so like maybe 10 per 7,000 people maybe instead of 0 per 10,000 people where I came from.

Work is way complicated, it will eat up much of my time. The past 3 people who had my job said it was unworkable with the number of support staff I have helping me. The last one lasted 6 months, so we see how things go. I do love helping teachers and other staff to do their jobs better working for kids, but there is a lot of things to manage. I will try to be the reed in the wind and maintain my center despite the many gusts.

2015-09-01 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
David, wow, what part of OLY did that not understand. 1.6 miles? Awesome, awesome, awesome job!

Joe, believe it or not, my son announced the first part of this year that he was no longer interested in baseball. Floored us. Coach really encouraged him to stay on the team but son was adamant. So first time in 13 years (He was insistent at 4 y.o. that we find him a baseball team that would accept a 4 y.o.) that we haven't lived at the baseball field. Terrible adjustment for hubby and me at first and then we began to enjoy in our liberation from concession stands and scoreboard duty.

Totals for August:
Swim: 1h 20m
Run: 31h 07m - 151.2 Mi
Strength: 45m
Core Training: 45m
Misc.: 2h 00m
Stretching: 15m
Walking: 2h 10m
Yoga: 3h 00m

Whole 30 is complete and it was quite interesting. Learned a lot about myself, my habits toward food (and wine), and got more attuned to my body's reaction to food. Lost 5.5 pounds which is my lowest weight in 20 years and it is the lowest I would want to go. I found things that I would like to live without, things that I will change, things that I missed and will be adding back to my diet, and still found some things I've got to work thru. The rash on my legs disappeared (good) but now I have to find out what was the factor that caused it; much as I love good results, I'm too much of an analyst to be happy with "magic" and I'll have to find the cause. I was not happy with my long runs during this time (even tho I was still having carbs) and will definitely be moving back toward more standard things. {Please God, let the diet be the problem instead of me finding I'm just getting slow as molasses.} One oddity I found was that apparently I have problems with pecans (allowed on W30) but because W30 teaches you to question the results on your body, I was able to find the cause. All and all, it was a great experience. Oh and one more brag - I made it thru the Parrothead Phenzy with no drink other than water. If any of you know PHs, that is pretty unusual for anyone.

Brad and Dennis, you two are bad, bad, bad! That talk of pizza and cheeseburgers was torture. :-) But cheese is the very first thing I'm adding back. As a matter of fact, it's part of lunch today. WooHoo!!!
2015-09-01 1:17 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Looks like I missed a lot! I can't wait to read up on all of the swim advice and the recent events.

But in the mean time, here's my monthly totals:

Swim: 9h 01m 29s - 16650.26 Yd
Bike: 24h 39m 37s - 229.47 MiRun: 12h 38m 02s - 77.34 Mi
Strength: 4h 00m
Backpacking: 9h 29m
High Ropes Courses: 3h 00m
Rock Climbing: 1h 00m
2015-09-01 3:04 PM
in reply to: jimmybags

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Monthly totals:

Swim: 3h 28m 40s - 7781.55 Yd
Bike: 18h 30m 25s - 271.29 Mi
Run: 10h 38m 44s - 76.61 M

Feels like it should have been more...

Planning the goals for Vineyard. They have a 8 hour cutoff, I am looking at 7.5 hours from what I can gather..  cutting it close..

-Still nervous

2015-09-02 2:54 AM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Swim: 8h 01m 09s - 29800.96 Yd

Bike: 33h 51m - 607 Mi

Run: 9h 23m 22s - 58.92 Mi

Weight: Gain 6lb on purpose

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.