BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2015-09-28 10:39 AM
in reply to: respro

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)
Sorry I have been absent, I really need to sit down and catch up on everyone!

Life caught up with me and I started to get behind on my training. I ended up skipping labor day weekend due to friends traveling down to see my new house... then I must have been sick or something the following week (I was operating at about 50% and had to cut my workouts short).

Starting to get myself back on track, and I finally understand the nutrition part of it. I still feel confident that I'll be ready for the IM in about a month, but I was nervous prior to this weekend.

My weather has been cold and rainy the past week, so I have spent way too much time on the bike trainer including over 6 hours yesterday . It's perfect running weather but the roads around me are dangerous enough without adding rain and fog to the mix.

I'm getting excited to wrap up the training and finally get to race day .

Happy Training, all!

2015-09-28 10:52 AM
in reply to: jimmybags

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
hey all, i just wanted to share my excitement with you. went down to richmond to watch the uci world championships, ran into lizzy armistead at a nightclub saturday night, after she won gold!! she was there with the rest of her trade team, so i also talked to ellen van dijk. and i was 600 meters from the finishline when i saw peter sagan win it all. it was such a great time, my first time seeing a cycling event live!
2015-09-29 2:04 AM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Jimmy, your training has been pretty lite for an IM in a month. You are going to have to dial back the intensity for the entire day and accept that it is going to be a long day. You should be able to finish the swim, pace the bike just steady staying well within yourself, but make the cutoffs, then the run will just be pick a steady slog and feel free to drop to walk jog strategy, 3 min jog 2 min walk repeat, if you get past the straight jog point. Adjust your fluid intake to match the weather, more if hot less if cool. Knowing that your pace is going to be slower, if it is cold and rainy have a waterproof shell ready for the run if you need it, especially for the last 13 miles. Feel free to email me or call me to go over specific strategy if you want.
Steve
2015-09-29 7:30 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

New user
Thanks Steve, I'll take you up on that once I finish up my race day plan. I already knew that it was going to be a long day, and I have no problems with that . Just my goal to finish this one. This week is a pretty easy week for the training plan, so I am planning on just dialing it in and sticking with the plan until the race.

I do feel much better since last weekend, I got really nervous when I wasn't able to finish my long workout 2 weeks ago. Thankfully I think I was just sick, and not performing well!
2015-09-29 12:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
I have finally accepted the fact that I am going to have to hit the reset button. Life had gotten in the way this summer and my training fell of the tracks. I still have a couple of half marathons that I have registered for and I plan to do them at a leisurely pace. I'm basically starting over from scratch. I've started my run training back at the beginning, because that's where I feel I am at. I'm slowly starting to build miles again, in an effort to use this winter to prepare for next year instead of peaking for anything. I am also starting to bike on my mountain bike to get some miles going again. I can't bring myself to sit on the trainer yet knowing that we are about a month away from not having the option. Since my wife's knee problems came back, I am going to defer my full iron distance race with HITS to next year. She is out of triathlons until the surgeon assesses what damage she has done and whether or not it can be fixed. Unfortunately because if the partial knee replacement, they won't know until they go into surgery.

On a bright note my wife and I did a gravel grinder duathlon with the run portions on some rough trails this weekend and had a blast. I felt like a kid again on my Surley Pugsley fatbike bombing down the hills. If only I would have had some playing cards to put in the spokes. My wife and I did it together and even though we walked most of the run, we had a good time. She was crushing the bike too which was encouraging, and she said afterwards that she felt fine on the bike, but the rough uneven ground and steep up and downs was what was killing her knee.

As long as I'm not kicked out for slacking, I'd still like to be a part of this group as I start rebuilding the fitness that was lost. My hope is that by November, I'll have the projects done at work that are keeping me sitting at my desk all day and be able to start training in earnest. I hope everyone has a great fall.

Steve
2015-09-30 12:19 AM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Steve, no one gets kicked out. Group is always open and folks who have been here before are always welcomed back even years later. We are a family of sorts, so no need to worry about real life knocking you out of training or whatever.

Everyone take care of your family, especially your spouse. No race, training or hobby is more important than your soulmate. There is always time to rebuild.

2015-09-30 7:52 PM

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Hello all,

Been working on the running.. giving the bike a rest (bump still there).. a little swimming, still not enough.

The workout from Steve is helping. I am feeling sore like never before. I did not do a long run this past wekend due to other commitments. I did complete 3 runs, 1 short and 2 medium. Strides on all, 800 repeats and a Tempo.

I am having a hard time keeping paces consistent. My watch Garmin 920xt seems to update a bit slow.. I have trouble looking at watch, keeping pace, it's getting better.

This week, Monday was strides - 4 miles 5 sets. Tuesday did Hill repeats... Planned on 2 hills, went for 3.

I QUIT - yup on the third hill, I turned around and started to head home.. totally trashed..

Stopped and I thought, if I quit now.. what else am I going to quit on... Turned back around and siad I will finish the hill, even if I need to walk it out. Didn't walk - I did run it out and felt good afterwards. Overcame a major mental hurdle.

The workouts are taking a lot more out of me than previous ones. This is good.. Really challenging. My knees are hurting a bit so I will need to be careful.

Here is a link to my race report from Martha's Vineyard.
Race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=536316

Overall a good race for where I am at in my training / journey. I did not keep to my plan for eating / drinking and that hurt me in the end. On the run the gels were starting to get to me. The last aid station I had 2 glasses of coke and 2 glasses of water. I was really getting thirsty and hungry at this point. Still had the 1.3 miles to go. I ran out the last 1/2 mile and sprinted the finish. I think I could have pushed myself a bit more on the run. This is what the new training program is going to help me with. I am already pushing more towards the end of each workout. Have done both runs this week w/ negative splits.

Weight loss is coming along.. the weight I gained during break is gone. Back on track.. tracking all my meals and exercise.

*******************************************************************************************

Pink - Nice job on the repeats. Fast! Impressive! Looking forward to a PR in November!!

Respro - Nice ride on the bike... take it slow and easy.. Avoid injury..

Jimmy - Keep the spirit - I wish you well. Life got in my way for training this summer as well.. just do the best you can. Glad you are feeling better.

Phil - Awesome rubbing elbows with the pros.

Stevefly - Like Steve said, life gets in the way... when you can get back on it.. Enjoy the journey!

Steve (mentor) - How is the new job? Starting to settle in? How are the flats / fixes you are trying?

Everyone - have fun, be safe!
-Dennis

2015-09-30 8:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

September totals:

Swim: 3h 29m 41s - 6559.6 Yd
Bike: 6h 56m 16s - 114.36 Mi
Run: 13h 02m 19s - 133.33 M

Good month! Need to keep it up.. I have actually run more than I biked..  

***Edited*** - my run mileage would have me doing 10 miles per hour..??  does not compute...  Copied from my training log..  Lol.

Edited by Dennis B 2015-10-01 1:32 PM
2015-09-30 10:08 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Dennis, nice going. Getting faster kinda sucks until it doesn't... on race day. Way to hang in there. Monitor those knees, take an extra rest day if you need to now and again.

It is a great blessing to watch each of you face challenges be they running, swimming, anxiety, loss, illness, etc., overcome and become stronger. Thank you for letting me part of your lives.

My monthly totals:
Bike: 26h 21m - 423.05 Mi

Run: 13h 16m 50s - 76.35 Mi

Strength: 1h 25m

Edited by Baowolf 2015-10-01 1:14 AM
2015-10-01 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Phil, that is really cool that you were able to see the race!

Dennis, good job powering thru on those hills and not quitting.

The other day, I did some of the big hills near my house multiple times. Total of 12 hills. Almost threw up when I got home. HM in Jax Fl this weekend with a dear friend. Looking forward to the girl time.

Sept totals:
Run: 29h 23m - 153.3 Mi
Core Training: 1h 36m
Stretching: 15m
Walking: 20m
Yoga: 4h 00m

Edited by Pink Socks 2015-10-01 11:16 AM
2015-10-01 10:13 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Thank you Steve for your unwavering support to everyone here.

Pam - you go girl, going for the pukes!

Dennis - negative self talk, self doubt are big obstacles to overcome, but now you've done it once, you'll be quick to do it again and the confidence will come that you can do it.

Phil - what a blast. Good idea to get out there and see the pros do it.

Fantasizing about races for next year. I'm getting back on the wagon this weekend.

Mitzi

2015-10-02 12:12 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Got some daunting news regarding my HIM this Sat. The weather around here will be pretty rough, with a Noreaster about to hit town right before Joaquin. Ironman Maryland and a popular century, both near my HIM site, have already been canceled. The organizers are hoping weather turns for the better. Another local tri already canceled the swim. Bummer, since this is the one I've been prepping for. We rented a house and everything. I remember Steve you had one canceled due to nearby fires, right? Never had a race canceled or changed to a duathon before, but I can already imagine the disappointment. I feel more bad for my wife; this is her third sprint tri in 4 years and they've ALL been rainy! What luck.

Dennis, awesome job. I too need to take care of my knees. I ice after long runs and use Ktape or support when I feel necessary.

Flyshop Steve, my bro got a surly fattire and I've taken it on a couple spins. A trail duathon sounds incredible.

Jimmy, we're all rooting for ya in the IM

Someone asked about offseason training. After my last race I usually take a month off, and then start up usually in Dec, maybe about 15-20 hours/mo based on my last few years. I think I wanna shoot for an IM next year so I might carry over a few more hours.

Sept totals:

Swim: 5.7 mi, 3:02
Bike: 197 mi, 13:00
Run: 63 mi, 9:34

Soccer: 2:30
yoga: 2:30
rock climbing: 0:52

Total: 31:32
2015-10-02 11:43 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
So its been a rough month looking back, sick for a week and a half, basement reno ongoing - was supposed to be done by now but instead the drywall's just getting on; and the bike crank saga - after nearly having the bike for a month after the pedal came off mid ride, the lbs finally got their act together and got the part in after weeks of stone walling me on what was going on with it. It was we'll call you monday after the tech gets in, to nothing heard, to no problem I'll get the owner to call you with the details given you just bought the bike and the crank arm needed some work ( pedal bolt hole was stripped). Course there was no call but anyway I digress, the bike's being picked up today (finally). I did get a swim workout in though, long way to go!

Below are my totals, pretty weak but that's just life, time to get back at it!

Swim: 23m - 300 Yd

Bike: 28m - 6.81 Mi

Run: 5h 19m 16s - 41.41 Mi

Edited by Kjl82 2015-10-02 11:43 AM
2015-10-02 2:12 PM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Just got news this morning our tri was canceled. My wife is really bummed. No refunds and no rain date, just a coupon for half off a race next year. I'll keep my plate full with a metric century end of this month and a HM mid November. My wife wants to do an 8k in PA. There aren't any other tris in our area unfortunately.

We were more fortunate than others that the $1k we dropped on renting a house didn't go to waste. The vrbo owner let us choose a date next year that it'll go toward. (He's a triathlete himself, fittingly). And he gave us an extra day for our troubles :-) some people took a week off work and were already on site...

Kev, some lbs's are awesome and some drag their feet. Important thing is u get your bike situated.

I actually had an issue with my bike las night. My valve extender on my rear tubular snapped, and was scrambling to find a replacement for the race. I ended up just switching my rear road wheel, for the race. Didn't have to worry about it, turns out, cuz of the cancellation.

Edited by phifatech 2015-10-02 2:18 PM
2015-10-02 9:41 PM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Sorry Phil, how awesome that the owner was so supportive.

Jimmy - what Phil said. We've rooting for you.

Mitzi
2015-10-02 10:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Dennis - just signed up for HEAT's (Hartford Extended Area Triathlon for you non-nutmegers) swim program. They say it's at St. Joe's - I'm guessing that's St. Joseph's college?

Scared to swim in a class in front of people, but I can't keep coming out of the lake minutes after everyone else. At the oly two volunteers come up to either side of me as I exited the water asking if I was OK - I brushed them off and ran to T1. I wasn't winded, I felt like I could keep going, I just have awful, awful form. Part of me thinks that I'll be so much better when I can actually swim, another part of me worries I'll be the worst swimmer at the class AND I won't improve, ugh....

Starts Oct. 18

Mitzi

Edited by MuscleMomma 2015-10-02 10:31 PM

2015-10-03 12:45 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Race cancelation sooo sucks. Sorry for that. Yes on the beech 5 min before IM Tahoe started the canceled the race. I was in my wetsuit and was like seriously..... No one moved for like 15 minutes.

My century ride got reduced to 65 mile due to the fires, but oh well, should be fine.
2015-10-03 4:23 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Phil, sorry about the cancellation, but glad you had a sympathetic host.

Mitzi, once you get that swim conquered you are going to feel on top of the world.

Steve, when is your next big race?

Weather is getting nice here, trails under construction are open, and I spiffed up my old Gary Fisher Napa bike to ride around the neighborhood/park.
2015-10-04 12:59 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I had the century ride today then probably nothing until next year. I think I'll do CDA again, but not 100% on that. My new job is about 12 hours a day, so it is sucking up some time. I got my new headlamp, so I can try that out this week. The ride went well, lots of hills.
2015-10-05 2:59 PM

User image

Originally posted by MuscleMomma Dennis - just signed up for HEAT's (Hartford Extended Area Triathlon for you non-nutmegers) swim program. They say it's at St. Joe's - I'm guessing that's St. Joseph's college? Scared to swim in a class in front of people, but I can't keep coming out of the lake minutes after everyone else. At the oly two volunteers come up to either side of me as I exited the water asking if I was OK - I brushed them off and ran to T1. I wasn't winded, I felt like I could keep going, I just have awful, awful form. Part of me thinks that I'll be so much better when I can actually swim, another part of me worries I'll be the worst swimmer at the class AND I won't improve, ugh.... Starts Oct. 18 Mitzi

Awesome...  looking forward to meeting you. We ALL need to work on our swim..    Jeff is a great instructor. I added a question on the HEAT FB page for the address. I already know I will miss at least two of the classes due to prior commitments.

Did an 8+ mile long run on Saturday w/ a 10k PR in there...    All 4 training runs on track last week.  Legs are ready for a little break. Will be scaling back and only doing the 60% - recovery week this week.. will be tough to hold back.

Starting to get cold / dark..  what do you all do for treadmill work to get the most out of it? Try to simulate outside? - I heard use at 2% incline = outside flat?

Already looking at events for 2016 - putting my schedule together. Each race will keep me firmly routed in my journey!

Phil - Sucks to have a race cancel. Is that written in the terms that fees are forfeited?  Stinks. Glad the rental worked out for you.

Steve - 12 hour days - wow...  hope that is not the norm. I wish you well.

Pink Pam - You are an inspiration..  seeing how you keep pushing gives me motivation.

Squirt - sounds like a nice cruising bike. Glad you are enjoying the nice weather...

All for now...  going to run, literally.

2015-10-05 4:01 PM

User image

New user
Hello! Quick check-in!

September was c.r.a.z.y.
I now have 2 kids in competitive sports (gymnastics and soccer) during the week, we are only beginning to settle into a routine and a rather complex logistics. But they love it and are really motivated, so I do my part!

After 1 month completely off, I have started a 30-day yoga challenge, to get back to it slowly. Boy does it hurt getting back in shape!!

I am also setting things up to a new pool, a new gym, which will give me more flexible hours to train.
Excited to go at it again. Can't wait to read the posts I missed, hope you all do ok...

2015-10-05 6:52 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

@Mitzi - St Joseph's University - 1678 Asylum Ave, West Hartford

Went for a shortened short run for recovery week..  turned into farklets..  run a telephone pole, jog one, run one, jog one...  push the last mile..  Hit 4 PR"s.. (1/2 mile, 1K, 1 mile, 2mile).  WooHoo..  Gonna blow away last years time come November...

Hey Isabella!!  Nice to see (hear from) you...  Family first.. Glad you are staying busy.

Later,

-Dennis

2015-10-06 7:08 PM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

New user
Monthly Totals for September (not a great month )

SWIM 7h 11m 29s - 14402.52 Yd
BIKE 18h 09m 53s - 128.40 Mi
RUN 10h 04m 13s - 62.73 Mi
STRENGTH 3h 20m

I was quite glad to see the sun again today! 2 weeks of rain gets really old being on the bike trainer

I made the shift back to afternoons this week, transitioning to different shifts is usually rough, but I think that having the mornings to train will actually help me out.

I also had to swap to an indoor pool, it was so cold in my neighborhood pool that I only lasted 7 minutes a couple of weeks ago. 1 month left, which leaves me about 2 weeks of longer training then I start to taper! I can't wait to get to panama city
2015-10-07 7:36 AM
in reply to: jimmybags

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Phil, so terribly, terribly sorry about the cancellation! Dang, that blows.
2015-10-07 2:18 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Got good news, the organizers of the canceled race reconsidered, and eventually decided to give us free registration to any race of theirs in 2016. We knew coming in they don't do refunds (they still have a lot of up front costs that go down the drain), so I was okay with the 50%, but enough people clamored on social media and vowed to boycott the series, and that made the organizers change their mind.

Looks like everyone's getting into the pool for the winter. I actually switched masters teams this year too. It's more convenient, but I feel like a traitor to my previous team; I've been with them for 3 years, and now I'll be swimming against them during meets. But the schedule is more favorable, as are the pool locations. My wife liked the coach better so far.

I haven't talked about my dog in a while, but I'm proud of him because he's gotten really good at running. We went on a 6-mi run yesterday with me and he had no problems. As long as it's cool outside he can run for miles. When it's hot and humid he gives up after 2 or 3 mi.

Jimmy, that'd be a pretty good month in my book, but I've never trained for an IM before.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.