BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2015-10-20 12:35 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)
Steve, I love you. You can very quickly say what I’ve been trying for months to put into words. I agree with everything you said – miles are good enough for a finish (and I think for a PR) but possibly not enough for a BQ, I haven’t hit the 800s repeats perfectly, the last 10k will be tough. I wish I had done more pace runs and more 20 milers. I’ve been hitting 17+ milers at least once a month since July but those extra 20 milers or the 17 milers at a faster pace would be a bigger help.

One thing tho and I may be laboring under a misconception. Since Boston 2016 is already filled, I’m calculating that 4:10 is my BQ since I would be 55 by Boston 2017. I may be wrong. But that is my dream goal time and if it’s not an official BQ for me this year, it would give me hope for next year.

Dennis, love your analog regarding Steve turning his work situation around. You are right, he is an Ironman and can definitely do it.

2015-10-20 8:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
In that case.... add 25 seconds to each of the pacing times I put up there if you want to shoot for the 4:10, I think that is within your reach and if you end up sucking wind in the last 4 miles you are still in the 4:20ish range, again assuming a flatish course, good weather and good health on race day.

Your training wasn't perfect, but it was not shabby either, your 800s and 1 mile repeats were on pace. For my BQ qualifying marathons I peaked around 200 to 220 miles a month. The first 150 miles gets you to mile 21 or so and it takes that extra 50 miles to get you the last 5.2 miles without losing much off your mile 1 through 15 pace,

Below is my mile by mile data for my first BQ (with my LT of 175). My 5ks are at 175-177. You are working pretty hard to maintain that faster pace for the entire race. It was 40F temps and rain, I wore my tri suit only. Note that the first 4ish miles are downhill (I didn't start out that crazy fast on purpose) and there were a coupe significant hills in there. Most of the miles were in low Z4 to high Z4 range (162-167) and that my effort was pretty consistent almost down to the heartbeat give or take elevation gain until the end where I picked it up for the finish in Z5 for the finish. So the race break down was weeeee down hill crap I am gona feel that later sub 7:00 mpm, then, ah life is good low 7s, need to slow that down just a bit, 7:40 to 7:51 ya hold there.... crap losing ground at mile 17, worse at 18, hills at 19 and 20, fight the pace back down for mile 21, crap for mile 22, pulled it back together for mile 23, lost that ground again for mile 24, trying to hold it together for mile 25 (heart rate actually increasing from mile 18 gradually up and straight through to the finish showing increased effort but dropping speed),, mile 26 crap I am working harder going slower, no margin left, flat out for the last .2, when I could see the race clock I had 60 seconds to close the distance to BQ and I crossed the finish line with 37 seconds to spare, OMG that was close. I had actually looked at my wife at mile 24ish knowing I had 17ish minutes to cover the last 2.2 miles or I wouldn't qualify and just shook my head, saying, "I don't know if I can do it."(struggling to hold back unmanly tears at the effort I was putting out and being so close to maybe not qualify in the last two miles). It took everything to just focus on every stride and not cave, At the end there was my sweety waiting for me at the finish line, and I was able to tell her, I did it.... and how far away did you park, I have about 10 minutes to get dry before hypothermia sets in.

1= 6:06, 156 2= 6:53, 162 3= 6:12, 165 4= 6:38, 165 5= 7:11, 167 6= 7:14, 169 7= 7:21, 167 8= 7:27, 166 9= 7:34, 163 10= 7:40, 163 11= 7:44, 164 12= 7:51, 164 13= 7:53, 168 14= 7:50, 166 15= 7:50, 162 16= 7:40, 160 17= 7:46, 162 18= 7:51, 163 19= 7:59, 164 20= 7:59, 165 21= 7:49, 166 22= 8:01, 165 23= 7:42, 166 24= 7:56, 167 25= 8:03, 166 26= 8:16, 166 .2= 7:41, 170

That was my perfect marathon, it took all of my strength and heart to cut 30 minutes off the previous year's marathon on the same course. I don't know that I will every have that level of emotion and grit poured into another marathon, even if I run one faster. It was actually better in some ways than the actual Boston Marathon (although I also BQd at Boston which was kinda nice, but not the same).

Edited by Baowolf 2015-10-20 9:49 PM
2015-10-20 9:21 PM
in reply to: #5075206

Man, reading all these replies does two things. 1. Make me feel like a weakling. 2. Motivate me!
Rode 15 miles last night with the group. About a thousand feet of elevation. Been walk/running with a big emphasis on the walk for a few weeks. Did my first non stop run of one mile today. Got on the giddy up and pulled a 7:56 out of the hat. I was sucking wind the last quarter mile. Definitely not my avg pace for a 10k. My 10k avg pace last year was about 10:15. I want to cut that down obviously. Hoping a skinnier me will help.
Hope everyone is having a great fall!
2015-10-20 9:37 PM
in reply to: respro

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ok flashback. My first ever week of triathlon training (2007) 3 runs of 3 miles each at a 10 to 11 mpm pace and 3 bike rides of 5, 5, and 18 miles at a 13 mph pace, no swimming because I had no pool access before my first triathlon. My first sprint triathlon was my 2nd swim in a year and I did breast stroke. That was more than I should have done the first week and I am sure I paid for it, but don't actually remember it now.
2015-10-21 6:16 PM
in reply to: respro

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by respro

Man, reading all these replies does two things. 1. Make me feel like a weakling. 2. Motivate me!
Rode 15 miles last night with the group. About a thousand feet of elevation. Been walk/running with a big emphasis on the walk for a few weeks. Did my first non stop run of one mile today. Got on the giddy up and pulled a 7:56 out of the hat. I was sucking wind the last quarter mile. Definitely not my avg pace for a 10k. My 10k avg pace last year was about 10:15. I want to cut that down obviously. Hoping a skinnier me will help.
Hope everyone is having a great fall!

7:56 is outstanding!!!!!!!! WTG!

Steve, love your description of how you felt in that race! Yep, I'm trying to prep for the mental anguish. Love to see your splits (although it was hard for my mind to grasp a pace of 6:06) and compare to your mental thoughts at that time. Thank you for the pace suggestions because when you put it like that, it almost seems doable. I like how you account for breakdowns in the race. I have a habit of losing focus (and dropping pace) 2/3 thru a race so have been trying to develop techniques for that. Usually can pull it together for the final miles but who knows what will happen on any given day.
2015-10-22 12:29 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I didn't think I was going to be able to hold that pace for that marathon when I started, but I figured out the paces I needed and then just tried to hit it knowing I could blow up by mile 20. You will be surprised how much the 800s and 1 mile repeats you did do will help you. 800 repeats at 4:00 per repeat = a 4:00:00 marathon pace. If you had 1 more month to train before taper I think you could have hit that, but 4:10 is a pretty nice goal and 4:20 is well within your range, again assuming everything goes right. (I don't know if your mary has hills though...).

There are a couple ways to look at the effort involved in a fast marathon for your ability. One is that heart rate data, you can run 5 beats below your goal marathon heart rate for the first 15 miles of a 20 mile run and then hit the last 5 miles at 2 beats above your goal heart rate. It is a sucky workout, but it teaches you to hold back on the trigger until the end of the race. (so if mary pace is 8:30, you do 9:30 for the first 15 and 8:30 for the last 5 miles)

Another fun workout is to head out on your long run (16-20 miler) at 1:00 slower than your marathon pace (so 9:30 if you want to do an 8:30) for the first 10 miles, then run 1 mile at 8:30, 1 mile at 9:30 rinse repeat until and recover for the last 2 miles. This will help your mind grasp the idea that you can recover speed through mental toughness when your legs are tired.

You only do one of these per build cycle so on your long run before your recover week. You can even do one per every other build cycle, depending on how many long runs you are doing beyond 15.

2015-10-22 6:08 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Pam, you are heading towards that starting line strong with no injuries. I know you pushed where you could on the training, and backed off where your body, mind and soul needed it. That is more than half the battle. In my opinion, you are plenty mentally tough to pursue your best race, and as Steve says, the outcome beyond that is not in your hands. You don't manage life, job, kiddo, and marathon training if you are not strong. So I pray that you will go in with confidence and run your best race.
2015-10-22 9:47 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I hope folks don't see me being critical of Pam's training for this marathon. I am trying to be helpful regarding pacing and expectations, which in print may come across as "you should have done more" but it is really just with what you have, what is your race strategy. My own training this year has certainly not been ideal and I have not set PR's, but have tried to do the best with what I could get in for health and life issues. I think she is going to rock this marathon in comparison to her past marathons, but I know that I am talking about a race that is around a 20 minute PR for her. In real life a 5 minute PR would be amazing, but BQ is a pain in the arse to obtain and it takes all you have and sometimes more than that. It is a top 10% in the world or better level of performance. That is not at all easy to do so we will cheer you on and even a 5 hour marathon will be a journey where we will be behind you and share the victory of any performance. Getting to the starting line healthy is a very large part of great race and the line between getting injured from overtraining or undertraining and not reaching your goal is often on the head of a pin.
2015-10-23 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by Baowolf

I hope folks don't see me being critical of Pam's training for this marathon. I am trying to be helpful regarding pacing and expectations, which in print may come across as "you should have done more" but it is really just with what you have, what is your race strategy. My own training this year has certainly not been ideal and I have not set PR's, but have tried to do the best with what I could get in for health and life issues. I think she is going to rock this marathon in comparison to her past marathons, but I know that I am talking about a race that is around a 20 minute PR for her. In real life a 5 minute PR would be amazing, but BQ is a pain in the arse to obtain and it takes all you have and sometimes more than that. It is a top 10% in the world or better level of performance. That is not at all easy to do so we will cheer you on and even a 5 hour marathon will be a journey where we will be behind you and share the victory of any performance. Getting to the starting line healthy is a very large part of great race and the line between getting injured from overtraining or undertraining and not reaching your goal is often on the head of a pin.

Steve, I know that you aren't being critical! I can't think that anyone would think you were critical because you treat all of us with love. Everything you said was spot-on. You have always told us that you will help us get where we want to go but you will be honest. And your advice, your honesty, your experience, your pacing suggestions - all are appreciated and very much welcomed by me.

When I realized that I had let fear of failing keep me from going all-out in my goal setting, I decided I wanted to train to BQ but also fully realized that it took me 8 or so marathons to get my PR down 20 mins (from the 4:50 where I usually hovered for an all-out race). I knew I had the birthday and age group advantage this year but mistakenly thought that 4:15 would be a BQ for me. I knew that it would be hellish because it would be a 15 min PR. Then I was really disappointed when I realized that 4:10 would be the goal. Damn. But I was already committed to doing the best I could so I decided to still train as much as possible. While I needed to get my mileage up to 55+ mpw - due to a back problem during the summer, my life, and other excuses, I only capped out at 35-43 mpw. Another damn. I knew even then that BQ probably wouldn't happen but I will not let excuses keep me from trying. I got an extra umph when our weather cooled and suddenly everything was easier and faster but even now some race predictors show I might barely make it and others show not. Oh well, I've done what I could (not everything I could but what I could at the time) so now it's up to my execution on race day and my mental state. All of Steve's advice was honest and correct. He is trying to prep me for strategy and encourage me because in the past, I held my pace back too much for too long and I've totally copped out before because of x or y and Steve's advice is trying to keep me from doing those things. He is also trying to help me cope in case of the unexpected (like the time I got a hideous cold before a marathon or when I developed ITB issues midrace that I had never encountered before). And then of course there are those wonderful things like blinding rain, extreme heat, excessive wind, or a sudden cold temps. I don't want any of those things but the main thing was I didn't want my fear of the unknown to keep me from training hard. And if I don't BQ or even PR this race, I willing to accept it. I just wanted to train as hard as I could and then give it my all. I'll be good with any outcome. Maybe. ;-) Naw, really I am because I'm mentally tougher now than before.

So one more thing and then I'd rather us focus on everyone else. Steve, the course is flat-ish and only has one hill - mile 4. And the hill is fun because the sergeants are yelling at us to get up the hill. And then we go back down the hill later so free-speed there. If weather suddenly turns cold, I'm worried because I have issues dealing with sudden downturns in temp. (I do live in the South for a reason.) The main thing I want from this race is not physical - but instead to push thru any mental hurdles. If I blow up due to trying to hold the pace, I'll take that option over a "safe" run even if it results in PR. Gotta go big or go home. I've got Tally mary in Feb and I can fart around for it but this is one where I want to mentally execute.

Now that is completely enough of talk of Pam. Let's talk about everyone else now.

Don't we have a IMFL participant? Jimmy, please let us know your number so we can track you. My race is the same day but a mary doesn't take nearly as long (even when I go sloooowwww) as an IM so I can still track you. I wish I was going to be at IMFL this year and was quite stunned when I realized that because of how Nov started and when veteran's day fell, that both my race and IMFL were the same day. Usually IMFL is the week before.

Edited by Pink Socks 2015-10-23 10:12 AM
2015-10-23 9:55 PM
in reply to: #5075206

Evening all, ran an EASY 2 miles today. Came in at 11:06 pace. Shin splints are a no show so far. I'm not a runner. I'm a cyclist so this is going to be a long road. I accept that. Just going to add miles to build up my endurance. I enjoy reading about everyone's training, its inspiring. Going to do about 50 on the bike tomorrow. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Tyler
2015-10-23 11:49 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Sorry Pam, we just love you no matter what 8).

So where are our post slackers? There must be something going on out there, real life, something.

Run just takes a blooming long time to get up Tyler, no 2 way about it. Today I changed out my old shoes for new ones because ya they have lots of miles on them an because I could feel my shins after a run earlier in the week. My legs tell me when the shoes are dead even if I get lazy about tracking the miles I run in them. The main thing is to ease up the distance by not more than 1 mile per week on any of your runs, including your long run. You can even up a mid week run by a half mile, no big deal. The important thing is to get that base 20 miles per week down for a month or so before adding intensity (800 repeats, hill work, etc.). But once you get a bit longer of a run you can do tempo runs safely (start comfortable an then increase the pace by about 10 to 15 seconds per mile pace each quarter mile up to around a 5k pace and then bring it back down 15 seconds per quarter mile to your comfortable pace again.

I did a 6 mile run in full dark tonight, headlamp worked fine and 60 mile ish bike ride tomorrow (1 lap around the lake).

12 mile run Sunday with 1200 feet elevation gain.. lovely views, challenging run.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-10-25 4:10 PM

2015-10-26 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Uh oh, looks like BT is changing pages and I can't find mentoring pages; used my threads to get here.

Steve, that is a an elevation climb. How did it go?

Saturday did my own personal HM on the challenging hill course used a few months ago - 1 hill, 20 times. Still slow on that course but was faster than the other times I did it. It's so cute; I always meet this couple where she is on a walker and he has a cane. Their dog is in worse shape. But walker and cane aside, they go up the hill almost every day - out walking (and resting) for over an hour. Love it when people that could use their ailments as an excuse instead go out and do what they can. They are adorable. They were cheering for me as I came up the hill again. I want to be like them when I grow up.
2015-10-26 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Pam, so nice re: the older couple and their dog. Nice hill repeats! Sounds like you are running really strong.

Steve, your advice is superb for those who want to improve performance. People pay online coaches for what you share here for free. I like to encourage the positive things I see in people, so hope you didn't take that as me being critical of what you share.

Back from a good trip to Oklahoma. Jackson Browne concert and a golf rainout led to a road trip that included a bit of sight seeing and short hikes in the Arbuckle "mountains". Gambled my $3 in video poker and was done with that and the smoky casino. Eating plan is going well, and planning a bike ride for later today, which I have off from work .

2015-10-26 9:19 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Carol you are one of the most positive people I know. I would find it very hard to take anything you say as being purposefully critical of me. If you were I would read back over what I said to see where I screwed up.

My run was just out my driveway and left... up up up with beautiful views, but a lot of up. I didn't make it to the top of the hill, maybe next week.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-10-26 9:27 PM
2015-10-27 9:31 AM

User image

New user
Hi folks!

Busy busy back to training, working to change jobs (more on that later, hopefully!!), prepping for Halloween with kids...
I will update my training log soon as the manual activities don't transfer automatically.

So yoga is great, I'm on day #18 of a 30-day challenge to regain strength and flexibility; still doing run-walks, slowly increasing the runs as I still feel a bit of pain in my heel (PF). Back to cycling in my basement as of last weekend and for the next 6 months Also back to the pool as of last week, so good to be back!!

Pam: you are going to rock that marathon, such great advice and you seem to know very well what you need to work on. Can't wait to see the outcome!

Tyler: I'm with you. Running is so not natural for me, much better at cycling Thinking of buying a few Sufferfest videos for later. I slacked off on bike training last winter to focus more on running, but that was a mistake (small gains in running, big losses on the bike). I need to find the right balance.

Happy training!
2015-10-27 4:40 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Hi all - time for the super slacker to report in. I actually now have a legitimate reason for not training. On Columbus day I took my dog out for a walk/jog. When I got home I had to go to the bathroom, and in doing so had to navigate a baby gate. We put it up to keep the dogs from venturing in to the back part of the basement. As I went over the gate, I hooked my foot, spun around and fell backwards. I also put my left arm out to catch myself and in the process, broke my wrist in 5 places, with several other small breaks/chips not seen on the x-ray. Long story short I spent 2 weeks in a recliner and have a plate, 9 pins and 3 screws holding my wrist together. I had to wait 1 week before they could do surgery to let the swelling go down. I'm now back at work but its looking like a painfully slow recovery.

My plan is to start back with treadmill walking and spin biking once my wrist stops hurting from the jarring, but it is clear to me I will be starting at square 1. I hope to be healed by the first of the year to start training in earnest again. I hope everyone is having a good fall training/racing and I look forward to reading about everyone's accomplishments.

Steve Elmshaeuser

2015-10-27 11:35 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Steve, ouche.... Take the time to let those bones heal. You will be tempted to do too much too soon, but this is a hobby. Do not risk doing damage to the bones in your arm over wanting to run 3 weeks early. Please, I know this will be really really tough. I have struggled with these issues after injuries. Do follow your doctor's advice.

Fitness comes back, be safe, watch some football and relax. If you can walk (with your doctor's permission), then do so and it will maintain a lot of your fitness. Do not, however, walk on icy surfaces and risk slipping again.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-10-27 11:36 PM
2015-10-29 7:28 PM

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Hey all - another post slacker here.. ;-)

Been doing well on the running plan. I have been fighting recurring sinus infections yet again for the past 2 months.. So running / swimming really sucks. Not only sinus, but started the coughing [bad] the past couple weeks as well. - Back to the doctors lungs are clear. On the 3rd round of antibiotics (20 days at a wack).. This has spilled over into not sleeping at night as the sinus drains, makes me cough, rinse and repeat.

Finished the 2 weeks build all right and am now on a recovery week. The last week of the build, Tuesday I hit a 10k PR and then broke it on Thursday.. so I am getting faster just doing it slowly.. Did that make sense?

This week recovery - Tuesday I didn't do any strides, etc. Was coughing a lot. I figured I would just run a good solid pace.. Worked out as I hit a PR for 5K... Just thinking how much better I can do if I could breathe? Lol.. Tonight 4 miles w/ 5 sets of strides. Good pace.

Swimming is going good. Clinic is fun. Make us swim a lot more than I would on my own. Having others in the lane gives you more support and drive to push harder and faster. I was moved up a lane. Think it has more to do with a rising tide lifts all boats.. as the slower lanes are getting fuller.. and Jeff likes picking on (pushing) me.. which is good. Practicing a bit more and started working on flip turns. Ha ha.. fun is.. Laughed my off when I flipped, pushed off, and went right into another lane.. It's a work in progress.

Ran into Mitzi again walking in on Sunday - she is way too chipper and smiley in the morning. Did capture a picture with her and our coach, Jeff Stuart.

Signed up for an Oly race - Rev3 - June 4th in Middlebury at Quassy. I am thinking of doing two HIM this season. Patriot - East Freetown Ma - June 18th 2 weeks after the Oly. The other is Timberman (New Hampshire?) in August. Don't have the date yet. Will sprinkle in with the weekly sprints through June/July/August. Both of these will be much hillier that the Vineyard I did..  

There will be a couple of running races as well..  haven't really thought too mush there. They don't typically fill up.

Pam - you are going to rock your race.. I have faith in you!! Go out and make us proud. Nope, not enough talk of you..

Respro - you motivate me as well.. Keep up the great work. 7:56 / mile is awesome! I hear ya with the running.. not my thing, is a weak link. Will be focusing on that for a while.

Steve - you have only been doing triathlon since 2007?? You are an animal.. Did you have a running / biking background prior? I do not see your posts as critical at all - REALLY informative and well thought out. A great resource. How many miles do you recommend on a pair of sneaks?

Carol - sounds like a nice trip.. Only $3 gambling? Many we need to talk.. ;-)

Isabella - nice to see you are keeping on.. I don't like cycling indoors.. Will be mostly that soon.

Steve - Wow.. get well.. Sucks to start over.. just make sure you start!! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

That's all..  busy busy busy..

Rock On!

-Dennis

Edited by Dennis B 2015-10-29 7:36 PM

(heat-pool.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
heat-pool.jpg (76KB - 20 downloads)
2015-10-29 9:15 PM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Hey everyone!

Pam - Good luck on your race! I'l be sure to check in and see how you did after I finish mine .
My bib number is 1696, thanks for asking!

Steve - Mega-ouch over the doggy gate

Sorry I haven't checked in, I haven't had a great past few weeks. I've been so mentally exhausted that I lost all my discipline to get out and train. I had to lay off a lot of people at work and I've been having to work some strange and difficult hours. It finally caught up with me, but I'm finally starting to settle back into a routine.

I'm officially "tapering" for the IM next weekend, but it's not much of a taper since I have hardly been able to get out. I also managed to get shin splints from my new work boots, so I swapped back to my old pair and have been trying to let that heal up.

Overall, I am about half as well prepared as I wanted to be for the IM. However, all things considered I think I will be just fine. All I have left to do is some easy workouts to keep moving, and dial in my race-day plan (especially focused on nutrition).

Thinking back on the adventure that got me to where I am today, I'm not worried about finishing .
2015-10-29 9:44 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yup I had no run, bike or swim background prior to turning 40. I just decided enough was enough and I needed to get some of that belly fat gone and get in shape. I actually didn't learn freestyle until after my first sprint tri.

Most shoes are good for 300 ish miles (350 is probably when you need to start breaking in a new pair). Most folks recommend running an IM or Mary on shoes that have about 50 to 75 miles on them (not brand new out of the box).

For those shins splints, roll them after every run, ice them after every run. The taper is just about keeping moving as you heal up. It is common to get aches and pains so that you are appropriately freaked out prior to traveling to the race location. The pains will come and go as you heal up, it is a normal process of the IM life. Too late to worry about such things, just get in what you can and adjust your pacing in accordance with your training.

It is probably more important to check in here when things aren't going well than when they are going well. Triathlon and healthy lifestyle living has roller coaster rides to it, ups and downs, just hang on and keep at it. If you were able to build up once, you can do so again. It will surprise you how much of a positive impact you can have on folks around you, even if they never say anything and you just wave at them every day when you run by their house, etc.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-10-29 9:49 PM
2015-10-30 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by Baowolf
It is common to get aches and pains so that you are appropriately freaked out prior to traveling to the race location.

So true, so true.

So glad to see everybody reporting in.

Jimmy, you go rock that IM!!!! Thanks for the bib number because I will definitely be checking your progress. Weather for PCB is low of 65 and high of 80 for that day. Wish it would be a little cooler for you. I think you will catch some breezes from the ocean on the run but not so much on the biking. They will have sponges on the run course so look for them. And don't skip the sunscreen station.

Steve Fly Shop, ouch! So sorry. Dogs are so awesome but can cause those issues. I know a lady who fell over her dog and broke her shoulder and one day, that will be me because my dachshund is ALWAYS underfoot. Please take care of yourself and focus on the recovery first.

Isabella, don't you just love yoga? I must admit that when I started a year ago, I didn't realize all of the benefits. Now I just love it and find myself doing a lot of the stretches/poses in front of the tv on non-yoga days.

Dennis, great job on getting your schedule planned for next year! As for the sinus infections, have you tried a neti pot? I hate using it but the dang thing works for me - if I start when I first start having problems. Saline solution vs drugs.

I had a slight hiccup this week but I think it's all behind me. I failed my dexa scan and finally realized that I'm not beating this osteopenia crap with exercise. So the choices are monthly med or once a year reclast. Opted for the reclast (I had done before) and didn't expect any problems. Two days later, I was so weak. Was scared (initial research on reclast can scare the socks off of you) but then realized my body was just having a slight adjustment. Missed a little of the running but not much. Seem ok now. Also checked the weather forecast for my race. I won't be buying any photos from the race because I'm sure I'll be running in as little clothes as I can get away with. While I wish it would be a little cooler, I do better with heat than extreme cold and thankfully it won't be extreme heat that day.

Edited by Pink Socks 2015-10-30 11:09 AM

2015-10-30 10:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Pam, sorry about the bone thing. I've been such an advocate of alternative therapies and they have never come through for me. I would have thought exercise would do the trick too. Daughter was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at one year old. Naturapath said it was leaky gut due to milk allergies. I was nursing so cut out all dairy and tried to get some herbs into her baby food - was ridiculous. When things got worse and she was old enough we put her on some pretty strong medications. 15 years later she is in medicated remission and no joint damage (though can't fully straighten her arms and she has cataracts from her body attacking her irises - the iritis was the hardest thing to get control of).
The drugs have been a miracle, people are shocked when I say she has JRA.

Dennis - want to sign up for Rev3 but just scared of those hills, but seems like it will be fun to do with the team.

Getting back to the gym. Don't have the swagger I used to, but getting in some upper body work and ran a mile three times this week. Haven't done anything in two months - so just seeing what I can comfortably run a mile in. Can definitely see that my baseline fitness is much better than it has been and I'm starting earlier this year.

Steve - We have a baby gate at the top of our stairs for the dogs. Every time I climb over it I say how dangerous it is. I'm going to just lean it in place and move it when I use the stairs. I'm too old for injuries. Hope you heal quickly.

Need to start hitting the pool and practice. So far no real critiques from the coaches, they offer a five minute video with personalized instruction for $80 so I'm going for it.

night all,
Mitzi
2015-10-30 11:18 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Remember that neti pot uses distilled water, not tap water. Brain eating bacteria from tapwater is not a good thing... just sayin.

This group loves the IM stalking.... luck out there, stay smart, just keep swimming swimming swimming, biking biking biking......

October is in the bank numbers are:

Bike: 26h 45m 30s - 444.5 Mi

Run: 15h 50m 55s - 92.15 Mi

Been slacking on the shoulder recovery weight lifting.... just too easy to find other things to do with my 90 minutes of free time a day.

13 mile run up the big hill today, got to the top of the 2nd ridge... and there is a third ridge.... gona get my butt handed to me to trying to see the other side of the mountain... Was a lite drizzle during the run and I had forgotten that at about this distance I need to put body glide on the manly nips, especially when cold and wet out, gona feel that in the morning.

So when are our fall racers hitting the starting line?

Edited by Baowolf 2015-11-01 2:03 PM
2015-11-01 3:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
October numbers

Run: 28h 26m - 154.3 Mi
Strength: 1h 05m
Core Training: 1h 25m
Massage: 1h 00m
Race Volunteering: 3h 15m
Stretching: 15m
Yoga: 5h 00m

Oh man Steve, that mountain keeps going and going, doesn't it?
2015-11-02 10:55 AM

User image

New user
Here we go, October numbers, official slow, back-to-training month:

Swim: 26m / 1093 yards
Bike: 1h15min / 20 miles
Run-walk: 5h50min / 24 miles
Yoga: 7h53min

Good to improve upon in November...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.