BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2015-01-08 11:47 AM
in reply to: #5081090

Subject: RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)
Hello Steve,

Only when I run; it's at the back, halfway the calve, in the muscle itself. When I go for a swim the pain gets less, so swimming after running seems to help.I'm going for the dynamic w-up at first, see if it helps, thanks everybody, I'll get there!!

-39 degrees Celsius, and you go for a run???? I have to get harder I guess....I really thought I was a strong guy when I went for a run trip at 2 degrees below zero....

2015-01-08 12:16 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Isabella, I like the DVD's that feature Rodney Yee as instructor. I have one called "A.M. Yoga for your week" that I like a lot. It is five 20 minute sessions - each with a little different emphasis. I just got another one called "Daily Yoga" -- again 5 different workouts ranging in length from 15 to 25 minutes each. I picked that last one up at Half Price Books...they had lots to choose from there. Good idea to attend some classes first.

Mad respect for you folks coping w/ below zero temps! Teens and 20's here in TX today, which by your standards is balmy.
2015-01-08 1:52 PM
in reply to: lunoni

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
I have had some calf soreness before but nothing that has hurt or been sore for more than a little bit. I am working with a trainer and he has me do a warmup routine. Prior to working with him I didn't really warm up, other than "run a little slower at first."

I start out with 5 minutes on the elliptical. Nothing hard just getting the heart rate rising, warm the muscles up and a little bead of sweat forming. Then do a series of stretching moves which include walking lunges, high steps, high skips, etc. Depending on how if feel or if I have a specific tight spot, I'll do other stretches to loosen that up. I basically go down the side of the gym and back - probably 25 yards each direction. I spend maybe 10 minutes on the stretching moves. I also do leg raises on the edge of the treadmill prior to starting the workout.

Those are the things that I've found work best for me.
2015-01-08 8:03 PM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Howdy, work got busy and I forgot to check in the last couple of days. I have been running but I have somehow managed not to bike again today.. I hope to do some after work tomorrow and a swim. I've signed up for a club that has long local rides at weekends but I'm also doing TriDot outseason to help me prep.

As for calf pain!!! I feel your pain, literally. I've been seeing a doctor about it for a good few months. Mine is all bio mechanics related - I have been running pigeon toed for goodness knows how long and my arches collapsed which places additional strain on the achilles and lower calf. I have got horrific knots in my calves which ease up with rolling and massage. I work hard to try to correct my run but I'm obviously still having issues as this resurfaced after my 7.5 miles yesterday!

I'm off to track down a picture to put on my profile!
2015-01-09 1:26 AM
in reply to: journeytoironwoman

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Oh so real cold not California cold. Hrm, if you are in the snow... you can get trail versions of your running shoe probably that are scotchguarded if the wool socks do not do it for you. A windproof barrier pretty much always does it. But in -15F you need something covering your face at the very least for the first couple miles until you get warmed up or the sun comes out. There are neopreme covers for your face or just thin cloth does wonders. I have a hat with a fuzzy liner on the lower half that can be folded up if it gets warmer. There may come a time when you just have to suck it up and hit the treadmill.

My workouts are totally kicking my butt this week, but then I am up 4500 feet from last week so there is that. Not looking forwarded to 60 miles on the trainer on Saturday.

Hrm, did the calf pain appear one day in the middle of the run like a pulled muscle or has it always been there when you run kind of creeping up on you and then waxing and waining. I have had pulled muscles and it takes walking on it only for 4-6 weeks followed by walk jog for 2 weeks to fix that. If it is just cramping it I would expect it to go away faster. You may have to do a sports med consult for that. Usually you only need one visit to diagnosis it and get a timeline for training. First thing is to make really sure your shoes are good for you though.
2015-01-10 12:37 PM
in reply to: lunoni

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by lunoni

Hello Steve,

Only when I run; it's at the back, halfway the calve, in the muscle itself. When I go for a swim the pain gets less, so swimming after running seems to help.I'm going for the dynamic w-up at first, see if it helps, thanks everybody, I'll get there!!

-39 degrees Celsius, and you go for a run???? I have to get harder I guess....I really thought I was a strong guy when I went for a run trip at 2 degrees below zero....

You are all tougher than me! For training runs, I will only go if it's above freezing and only if I have a race that I think might be cold. I had two races when it was in the 20s and two in the 30s - every time I was not happy about it (note how I can tally those races).

As for the pain, yours sounds like calf pain and everyone has given the best advice. But the whole conservation made me want to bring up something about shin splints in case anyone has that problem First, always make sure shoes are right for you. But one thing that helped hubby overcome shin splints was counting his steps for 1 min. Hubby found that he was taking 150 steps per minute. Ideally it should be around 180 steps per minute. When he took fewer steps, he was lengthening his stride and therefore hitting on the heel more, thereby jarring his legs.

2015-01-10 12:47 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Thanks Pam - I'm definitely going to try counting and doing more steps (shorter strides) as I have a feeling I've been doing something similar (need to stay off the arches too!!).

Started off my morning well with a swim and bike (indoors as it's freezing outside) and now leading a teen first aid course so I'll check in later!
2015-01-10 4:41 PM
in reply to: journeytoironwoman

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Carol - do not minimize your accomplishment - did you run more than 26 miles? You Rock!

Matt - yea for Christmas goodies!

I'm enjoying my new trainer though I am so out of shape, it is hard!

Mike, almost signed up for the Patriot HIM - glad it was closed, I think finally doing an oly is a good goal for me.

Gaug3 - use and love the BT log - easy, and really makes thinks clear.

Pam - great energy with those ultras

Ceilidh - you and I are twins!

Jay - thanks for the swim link. I've put down the weights. Even quit the gym so I wouldn't be tempted. I want to slim down, carry less weight even if it is muscle. Got tapes on lifting my own body weight and kettlebells - should be good stuff.

Steve - No chocolate diet is a great idea. I did an almost no carb diet and now have to figure out how to slowly bring some back in.

I bow down to you who run in 0 degree weather- I am not worthy. I wimp out until it hits 60 - I know it's time to toughen up. Did get some warm weather runner clothes for the holidays. Now the pressure is on.

Mitzi
2015-01-10 5:42 PM
in reply to: #5081197

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Hey guys. Just checking in. Had a relatively good week with 3 swims, a running track session and today I got a walking PB at parkrun with the baby in the sling. Considering he's getting heavier every week, I'm pleased that I'm managing to get faster, although I'm still very slow. But there's a lot to be gained from brisk walking and it's better than doing nothing.

I'm still figuring out how to fit cycling in. I've arranged to cycle with my dad this coming week while my mum babysits, but I would also like to get my tri bike set up on the turbo so that I can get an extra ride in at some point. I haven't been on that bike for a year, so I'll need to build it back up again!

I have a lot of respect for those of you who train in freezing temperatures. We have a mild climate, so while I have been out in snow and ice it doesn't happen often and is never REALLY cold.
2015-01-10 11:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Looking to keep expenses down and am thinking of doing two of the local Lake Terramuggus Sprint series. It's local and it's cheap. On the other hand it is hilly and it is informal but with lots of very talented athletes - the times are fast. Think you have to have been faster than 1:15 to make the top 65 out of 100 or so competitors. Seems like people use it as a practice run for transitions and stuff.

It is the race I did a few years back when I dragged myself across the finish line way after others had left. Everyone was very kind.
Would like to go back and do well, but it's intimidating and I'm scared. Would be good for me to prepare for my oly in Aug.

Went to sign up for the Cranberry Cove oly in Aug and find myself getting distracted (like looking up the Lake T races) and not getting around to registering. I know it's time to pony up and commit...

Edited by MuscleMomma 2015-01-10 11:29 PM
2015-01-11 12:49 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So for running yes 90 right foot strikes is about right. Similar for bike pedaling 85-95 rpms. As far as stride length, you want to be pushing your foot out behind you not pushing it out in front of you. To go faster you bend slightly at the ankle (forward) hip, shoulder and head, to lean forward. It just takes a smidge of lean to get 30 to 60 sec per mile faster, but your legs have to keep up. When your foot hits the ground your the angle between your foot and shin should be 90 degrees or slightly less landing generally under your center of gravity not out in front. You can land on heal, mid foot or fore foot, but you heal has to make it to the ground before you transfer weight to pushing off.

60 mile trainer ride for me today. Nothing fancy just miles.

2015-01-11 5:35 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by MuscleMomma Looking to keep expenses down and am thinking of doing two of the local Lake Terramuggus Sprint series. It's local and it's cheap. On the other hand it is hilly and it is informal but with lots of very talented athletes - the times are fast. Think you have to have been faster than 1:15 to make the top 65 out of 100 or so competitors. Seems like people use it as a practice run for transitions and stuff. It is the race I did a few years back when I dragged myself across the finish line way after others had left. Everyone was very kind. Would like to go back and do well, but it's intimidating and I'm scared. Would be good for me to prepare for my oly in Aug. Went to sign up for the Cranberry Cove oly in Aug and find myself getting distracted (like looking up the Lake T races) and not getting around to registering. I know it's time to pony up and commit...

There you go, I highlighted the important parts of that post!

You have MORE than enough time to train and you will do fine in your race, no matter what.

2015-01-11 8:44 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Mitzi, I agree with Robin. And by the way, you look GREAT!

Landed a new job last week and start tomorrow . Ready to figure out the new normal in terms of schedule, workouts, etc.

2015-01-11 8:55 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by squirt Mitzi, I agree with Robin. And by the way, you look GREAT! Landed a new job last week and start tomorrow . Ready to figure out the new normal in terms of schedule, workouts, etc.

Congrats on the new job!

2015-01-11 4:46 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Congrats Carol. Good luck with the new job.
2015-01-11 5:14 PM

User image

Good luck with the new job and schedule, Carol! Exciting times!

Mitzi - go for it! Just reading about improvement for students and the key message is that improvement happens when we are outside of our comfort zone! You've done it before - you can definitely do it again!!

I wimped out on my long run today as it's been storming all day. Going to hit the gym this evening and get several miles and maybe a swim in.
I still need to motivate myself to get on the indoor bike. Outdoor distance rides begin next weekend (I'm excited to get back out there!).

Edited by journeytoironwoman 2015-01-11 5:15 PM

2015-01-11 9:14 PM
in reply to: #5075206

Good evening everyone. I'm recommitting to training. Last week I swam once. Like I've mentioned before I'm starting this as a beginner to all things exercise. So, establishing the habit of training will be my biggest obstacle. I am not ready to give up. I work a full time job and am enrolled in 17 credit hours at college (full time). I'm definitely a goal oriented person, and this is something I want to do.
2015-01-11 9:19 PM
in reply to: #5082356

I wanted to add that I read every post. I love hearing all the advice and seeing the stories! Steve, Carol, and everyone on here are great inspirations to me. I just really like this forum.
2015-01-11 11:14 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Grats Carol on the new job, hope it suits you better.

Amy glad to have you, we will settle into sharing more information after these first couple hectic weeks of getting to know folks. Try to set a reasonable expectation for your workout. I did 13.5 graduate credits last semester in School Administration Tier 2 Credential, working full time, it gets pretty nuts. So maybe shoot for 45 min to 1 hour a day and you are probably good.

Couple ground rules: Please add your first name to your signature so I can remember real names, I am very bad with names. Please also fill out your BT training log if you want any help with knowing if you are ready for a race, why your pace is not getting faster, faster, etc,. it really helps.

Oh and here was December's numbers

Swim: 10h 46m 40s - 22200 Yd

Bike: 20h 21m 55s - 364.5 Mi

Run: 14h 43m 27s - 95.29 Mi

Long run this week was 11 miles, bike 60, swim 2500 yards.

11 mile run for me to day balmy 21F, felt pretty good. and 1500 yard swim. My first slight twinge of fitness returning I hope.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-01-12 12:33 AM
2015-01-12 6:21 AM
in reply to: #5075206

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Just got back from the track where I did the "mums on the run" session. It's really good for me as I can take the pushchair and if he's happy I can leave the baby with the leader and run on my own. So I did about half the session with the pushchair and half without. Today was a tough session weather-wise. Apparently there is a hurricane affecting our weather and it's very windy with quite a lot of rain. I remembered everything to keep the baby warm and dry, but forgot to take my own jacket, so was soaked and a bit chilly by the end of it. Fortunately the weather did pick up a bit (it looks lovely, if a bit windy still, now) so I didn't get too cold. The session involves a lot of technical stuff in the warm up, which is great for me at the moment. I've never had great running technique, but have struggled to work on it as it would involve a step back when I was in full training mode. So I'm hoping to work on technique as I build my running back up, and can try to improve form and speed at the same time.

In other exciting news, I entered a triathlon this morning. It's the first weekend in May and is a sprint, so perfectly manageable. I'm so excited to have a race to look forward to after nearly 2 years. Only down side is that I also entered my husband, so we have to find a babysitter! Should be fine though, as we've always known people whose partners have come to watch in the past, so should be able to get someone to hold the baby for an hour and a half...
2015-01-12 12:05 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
I re-vamped my training schedule, for various reasons. Do you guys think it sounds reasonable, or should I consider making changes?

Monday: Easy run and core workout (push ups, pull ups, dips, sit ups, stabilizers and whatever)

Tuesday: 5:30 -6:30 a.m. spinning class
5:30 p.m. Running club (tempo run/speed work)
8:00 p.m. basketball (fun/easy games)

Wednesday: Core Workout only (rest day)

Thursday: 5:30 a.m. – 6:30 a.m. spinning class

Friday: Easy something (run, bike or swim)

Saturday: Long run or long bike (running more frequently than biking)

Sunday: Long swim

2015-01-12 1:06 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Portland, Oregon
I'd love to join....I'm so new to this, it's ridiculous.

Want to do my first Tri ever this year.....I'll add a bio later today.

Excited, scared (a little), nervous (a lot)...getting my bike this week and pumped to get going.

Nick
2015-01-12 3:30 PM
in reply to: nickmallory

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by nickmallory I'd love to join....I'm so new to this, it's ridiculous. Want to do my first Tri ever this year.....I'll add a bio later today. Excited, scared (a little), nervous (a lot)...getting my bike this week and pumped to get going. Nick

welcome! All those emotions are pretty normal! Once you tri, you won't go back

2015-01-12 4:57 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Portland, Oregon
As promised....here's a little bit about me:

NAME: Nick

STORY: Five years ago I clocked in at 305 pounds, unhappy, uncertain, and in terrible shape. An ex-High School and College multi-sport athlete (I'm a tick over 6' 4" if that matters), this marked rock-bottom for me physically. About 3 months prior to this, my Dad passed away from respiratory complications and I was pushed by a doctor friend of mine to "make some changes". I started 2010 in earnest to lose weight and get healthy...that's it - no other goals necessary; I didn't want to complicate things (which I sheepishly admit is a habit). When I started, I was reading Jim Collins' wonderful book Good to Great where he talks about a BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal), and then and there I set a BHAG of completing a Triathlon At the time I could barely spell triathlon (still can't), and had no idea how to get started. Over the next four years I dropped the weight (from 305 to 210) and got addicted to running. I ran half marathons, 15K, 10K, whatever...but the tri goal always eluded me. I love to swim, love to run, but the bike just freaked me out....so I let the fear get in my way and never jumped in. Always talked about it, thought about it, and considered it...but never jumped.

In September 2014 a nagging ganglion cyst on my ankle finally caught up with me (exacerbated by all the running I was doing - about 45-50mi/week), necessitating surgery. It took me off the road at the height of my running (both pace and distance) for roughly 6 weeks. About the same time I started the beginning stages of a divorce, so needless to say I never got back on the road. I'm also the head of marketing for a brewery in Portland, Oregon, so add a severe lack of running to slight depression and easy access to beer & you all of a sudden have a body carrying 35 extra pounds.

Then about two months later I found myself sitting next to my cousin at the Thanksgiving table. He's an avid triathlete in Texas, and we started talking about triathlons, training, gear, and for the first time in a while I started getting excited....like, really excited. He gave me some recommendations on books and told me about this site. Before I knew it, I was talking to the owners of a local bike shop who we do a lot of work with, and I dove in and got a bike. I pick it up this week. I just said "screw it", took the leap, and here I am. I also hit the road again, logging 2.5 miles today at an absolutely horrid pace...but hey, you've got to start somewhere.

So, here's what I know.....I know nothing. I don't know what I'm doing, how to do it, where to do it, or when to do it. Really, the only thing I do know is that a) a triathlon consists of three events, b) a bike has two wheels, and c) I can't wait to get started. I haven't been this excited for a long time, and I can't begin to tell you how much it means to me to take this on. I look forward to learning a ton from all of you, and crushing my BHAG in 2015.

FAMILY STATUS: two wonderful little girls, 7 and 3.

CURRENT TRAINING: just getting started. Running (barely), getting my bike this week (with a trainer), and haven't found a pool. Really, my goal at this point with training is to not pass out.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I will complete a Tri, or die trying....haven't signed up for anything yet though. Don't know what to tackle, but want to get started.

WEIGHT LOSS: yes, yes, and yes. I need to drop a solid 35 pounds.

WHAT MAKES ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'm incredibly coachable and welcome any and every kind of advice. I'm smart enough to know I'm not the smartest person in the room, and know I have two ears & one mouth and should use them accordingly. I'm yours for the molding.

Thanks for having me.
-nm
2015-01-12 9:25 PM
in reply to: nickmallory

User image

Welcome to the group Nick!

Amy, just set yourself some small time goals for exercise but be careful not to overwhelm yourself with too many things.

Jimmy, I'm new to 70.3 too so I'm not sure about training plans either but I would suggest adding some short runs after biking to start introducing yourself to bricks and then build on them to get used to going from bike to run. You may want to add some swim drills too?

I ran 7 miles tonight and absolutely froze (it's taken me nearly 3 hours to warm up). My left achilles was agony and I had to walk the last half mile and even that was hobbling. not sure if it was the shoes or what...

Steph
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.