BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2015-01-15 3:47 PM
in reply to: RookeyDavid

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)

Originally posted by RookeyDavid I have just blown my own mind as to what I'm capable of... 1 mi - 8:17 - 96ft elevation 2 mi - 9:23 - 72ft elevation 3 mi - 8:33 - -46ft elevation 4 mi - 9:01 - -34ft elevation 5 mi - 9:07 - -33ft elevation Now that in itself is a personal record for me... but what blows my mind is that I was reading my stats and report afterwards. The 1st half mile of that run is flat, and I was running that at between 5:00 and 5:10/mile! Never realized I was capable of such a pace, even short-term. Anyway, back to work and then to the pool to practice my "learning to swim" drills with my kick board... I'll get it soon

That is FAST! GREAT job.

2015-01-15 11:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Great stuff going on.

Quick disclaimer, I am not a coach, so what I share is my experience in triathlon and what I have learned over the past 8 years. I have a training philosophy that may differ from yours so what I put out there is just suggestive not thow shalt do it my way. If you want to do a marathon on no run training at all you can do that, but I will share that I think it is not a good idea for health, enjoyment and doability reasons. If you interpret what I say about your training as judgmental, it means I did not communicate well what I meant to say. Anything I type will be intended to help you. If what I say irritates you send me a pm and I will figure out what I did wrong.

So we have folks at all different levels as far as experience and natural ability, we will compare ourselves to each other... but try not to, we are all in different situations and training for a 5k is just as important as training for an IM, but your monthly numbers will look different. There is no competition between us, well no netagative competition, some of us probably compete about who can fall asleep the fastest.

Ok for those getting new bikes with clip in (clipless) pedals.... you need to practice getting in and out of those in the house for a while before going outside or you will tip over at stopsigns. The tricks are set the clip on its loosest setting, keep your heal low and twist out and clip out with one foot a good 20 feet before you intend to stop. Most of us have tipped over once or twice in that first month and rarely since. Pretty much no matter what folks tell you, you will probably tip over at least once to really sink in what you have to not forget to do.

Ok basic triathlon gear.(nothing made of cotton)

Good running shoes, good socks, 2 piece tri racing suit, bike, bike shoes, bike helmet, bike shorts, swim goggles, swim cap maybe wetsuit (I prefer sleeveless).
Toys: gps running watch and inside trainer for the bike. I have logged maybe 6000 miles on my gps watch and maybe 20,000 miles on my trainer. Note you want a special trainer tire for your trainer (it eats tires) the trainer tires is like $20, is harder rubber to take the beating of the pressure roller and not to be used outdoors.

A road bike will go rougnly 3-4 mph faster than a mountain bike, Entry level Race bikes are made of aluminum cost rougly 750 to 1200 and one step up goes partial carbon to 1500 and then all the toys full carbon around 2500. You can do races on a $150 used regular road bike. If you plan on doing triathlons for 15 years you probably want to spoil yourself with a pretty bike. (Shimano 105 is entry level race shifters, and gears). If you do a lot of mountains/hills you want a compact crank up front (54/39) and a big setup in back (25/12) (numbers mean the number of thingies that stick up on the gear). If you plan to train and race flat you can go something bigger up front and smaller in back. There are some differences between triathlon specific bikes and road bikes ask if you want more info here.

Basic skills, have a tool kit on your bike (typically mounted behind the seat (spare tube, tire levers and co2 mount and cartridge at minimum pump for backup is nice), and be able to change a tire, clean a chain, make minor adjustments to cable tension, replace a brake or gear cable. If your bike chain comes off while riding, you can often get it back up (if it went towards the frame) by shifting back up or down if it went off the outside. If that does not work you need to stop. If your chain comes off more than a couple times a year you are either shifting wrong or your cables need adjusting.

K that's too much for now 8).

Edited by Baowolf 2015-01-16 1:20 AM
2015-01-16 9:14 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

All great information! If anyone is looking at new bikes as well, there are several discounted ones at the moment (which I'm looking at) but the more favored one in my opinion is the Kestrel Talon (http://www.coloradocyclist.com/kestrel-talon-tri-bike?gclid=COLsv5LmmMMCFQdafgodql4AiA)

Today was another session in the pool and I think I'm getting a little bit better, but still struggling. I believe the majority of it comes from two things... 1. not exhaling fully underwater, 2. water going in through my nose. I'm going to get myself a nose clip today and hope that it improves my ability to breathe!
2015-01-16 10:08 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I breeth out through my nose while I am swimming. That seems to help. With learning freestyle it is important to get your butt up which meand getting your head and chest down so you are level in the water, to rotate enough so that you can breath and pivot with your body remaining mostly straight not a lot of lateral movement. Lifting your head higher actually makes it harder to breeth. A slightly faster stroke count may help but a lot of it is just balance in the water. That said, I drank a lot of pool water in those first 4-6 weeks of learning freestyle. Part of it is rythm, but that comes way later.
2015-01-16 10:30 AM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Portland, Oregon
You guys are awesome...so incredibly helpful.

I'm picking up the bike today - nervously excited as this will be my first road bike ever (first clip-in pedals too - Steve, thanks for the pointers. I'm excited to fall over). I also found a pool close to my house (right around the corner, actually...who knew?), ordered some goggles, Googled "brick training" (had no idea what it was), and I'm ready to tackle once-and-for-all my BHAG.

I've been running this week for the first time since ankle surgery (September 2014). Nothing crazy, just a couple miles at a really, really slow pace (at the height of my running prowess, I clocked in at a 6:45min/mi pace avg for a 15k/HM, now I can barely break 9min/mi...oh well). My legs are sore, but it feels good to get back out there.

In the past I've hit my run training in two ways:
1) Treadmill: 25mins @ 1min intervals - slow jog to sprint
2) Outdoor: pound the pavement from 5-8mi, going as fast as I can

Which leads me to some questions:
1) Should I change this approach for tri-training? Meaning, when I'm on my runs, should I vary the pace/exertion or just go all out at whatever distance I'm plotting?
2) It rains A TON in Oregon (I live in Portland), how should I train when I'm using the treadmill? Long duration at the same pace, or is interval training smart?
3) Same question with the bike. Is there an approach I should take when using the trainer vs. outside?
4) Finally, Isabella you mentioned something about "drills" in the pool; what do you mean by that (I assume pace variations, etc)...any you recommend?

I really appreciate you guys and your posts...it's amazing how a little thing like joining this group (and simply reading) can mitigate a ton of fear.

Beat the BHAG.
-nm
2015-01-16 11:07 AM

User image

Baowolf: Yeh, I've been breathing out through my nose underwater, but I can't seem to shut my nose off when I turn and breathe in the pocket... What ends up happening is water going in my nose and stopping me in my tracks. All part of the fun of learning, I guess!

Nick: Man, that's an awesome pace over 15k in your prime I'm sure it will take no time to pick up the pace again. What I've learnt (and the method I've used) to pick up with pace and distance, is having several short runs (4-5 miles) a couple times a week, then a medium run (6-7) on Saturday with a longer run (10+) on Sunday. With the Sat and Sun runs, breaking them down into smaller intervals where you'll run not at 100% but maybe 95%, then rest pace at 70%. 2 minutes off, 1 minute on. it's really helped me knock time off my pace over the last number of months. It's only what has worked for me personally, so perhaps it will work for others either way, good luck with it and congrats for getting back out there and pushing!

Oh, and here's a link to some example swimming drills:
http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multis...

Edited by RookeyDavid 2015-01-16 11:08 AM

2015-01-16 3:23 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by RookeyDavid
Oh, and here's a link to some example swimming drills:
http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multis...

Great link!

Drills helped me A LOT because it allows you to concentrate on fewer movements at a time. So kick drills will have you put your arms on the board and really concentrate on how you kick, from the hips and not from the knees (it's a workout in itself too!!) . With the pull-buoy, you squeeze it between your legs so they float, and you just concentrate on your arms, placement, rotation, etc. Using the pull-buoy seems odd at first, that's where you see if your balance in the water is right. By working on drills evey session, it gets into your "muscle memory" and your technique gets better.
2015-01-16 4:08 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So my general idea on building speed is to build a solid base first so you can then work on speed. In any sport 2x per week will maintain fitness, 3x per week will be slow progress, 4x per week will be decent progress and 5x per week will show good progress. You can't build distance and speed at the same time. So say you were doing 5ks and then wanted to do a marathon. You could build endurance, but the speed at a marathon distance is not going to come until you have enough base fitness to hit a long workout hard and still recover fast. This is why the long run ideally is about 1/3 of your weekly miles and at most 50% of your weekly miles.

So if you have not been running for a couple months then start by walking or running at about a 60% effort. Once you are up to about 20 miles for a couple of weeks then you can start mixing it up. The first thing to add is a tempo run once a week. A tempo run means warmup 1 mile at say a comfortable 10:00 minute mile (mpm) if that is good for you, then every half mile run 15 seconds faster, up to an 8:00 mpm pace for 1/2 mile then bring it back down and finish one mile at 10:00 mpm. The speed will be different for each runner, but you get the idea. I would also add in some strides. So you warmup 1 mile at an easy pace and then do strides. A stride goes from standing and gradually builds to a 5k pace and then hold that pace until 1:00 has passed from the start. Then walk 1:00 and repeat. Then continue with your run. Once you are in shape if you are doing 4x runs a week you have short, medium, medium long. Usually the short run is at an easy pace maybe with 1 set of 5x 1:00 strides and is often the run the day after the long run. One run a week is interval work. This means warmup for 1 mile then do 1/2 mile repeats with a 1/4 mile recovery. You may start out with like 2 or 3 of these and then build that up to maybe 10 to 12 depending on what distance you are racing. This pace for your repeats is marathon pace (if I want to run a marathon in 3:30:00 I want to cover the half mile in 3:30 or a 7:00 mpm pace). Then the 2nd long is prabably a tempo run and then the long run you can do at 75% pace, high zone 2 low zone3 or you can put in some mile repeats in there with a half mile recovery. I like to alternate half mile repeats one week and hill repeats the following week. A hill repeat is a half mile repeat but going up hill.

For most of us biking is just really hard to get fast at. You start off just building base and then once you are at say 75-100 miles per week for a couple weeks you can build in intervals. You need to do intervals to get faster on the bike, you just do. So you might do warmup 10 minutes then 5x 1:00 at LT (fast) and 1:00 recover (slow) followed by 10:00 easy followed by 3x 10:00 at 75% (high zone 3) with 2:00 recovery between. There are a zillion combinations, but basically 1 short set of really high intensity and recovery and then 1 set of moderately fast intensity that is longer with longer recovery between. You can do intervals on every ride as the bike is not as hard on your body as running is. Again you have a short, medium, medium and long bike each week.

Swim, well, I suck at swimming so I will leave this one mostly to the fish in our group. If you can get a coach get a coach. Most of swimming is form based and it is really really really hard to get good form if you are older than 20. The same thing holds for swimming though outside of drill and form issues. One day short, with drills, easier continuous pace. 1 medium with intervals and 1 long with intervals. I have a SwimEx or swimspa so I control the pace electronically. So lastnight I did warmup and drills for 600 yards then did 50 yards each at speed 64, 66, 68, 70, 72, 74, 76, 78, 77, 76, 75, 74, 73, 72, and repeated at 72 until the end of the workout. Each 2 number increase = 1 second faster per 100 pace. You can do ladders at 25 yards, 50 yards 100 yards on up to say 500 yard repeats. My favorite swim toy is a forearm stabalizer that keeps your hand, wrist and forearm straight while you swim. I do 3x 25 yards with these 25 yard normal in warmups. I often also do 1 set with the pull bouy to help me remember to stay parallel to the water. Our fish will have more and better drills (1arm, fish, catchup, kick, switch, fingertip drag, etc.).

Please explain when my terms are confusing, triathlon has a lot of jargon.
2015-01-16 7:46 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Great going for this group! Thanks for the well wishes on the new job. 1 week down on that and starting to feel a bit less stressed. Last job was very hectic, and this one is very quiet, so it's taking me some time to chill out. I have been walking at lunchtime and doing a bit of yoga/elliptical after work. Tomorrow will walk 11 miles w/ hubby as part of our half marathon training. Not really triathlon training and a far cry from the running I did in previous years, but it's what I can do right now. Priorities this week have been on adapting to the new job and getting adequate rest. To everything a season!
2015-01-16 9:41 PM
in reply to: #5075206

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
I for one would love it if Steve/Baowolf was my coach. His advise is solid and his track record is proven. I increased my running per his advise and BQ'd twice.

That's the reason I would only ever join his mentoring group.

My training has been going really well. As I am working on other aspects of my training, I am also trying to seriously improve my nutrition. I am a finicky eater and normally only eat things that are pretty bad for me. This time around, I am making a concerted effort to eat healthy. For all the mothers in the group, I know that preparing health meals take more time. How do you fit that into your schedules? Any helpful tips for someone who is kitchen challenged?
2015-01-17 8:06 AM
in reply to: kmatt318

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by kmatt318 I for one would love it if Steve/Baowolf was my coach. His advise is solid and his track record is proven. I increased my running per his advise and BQ'd twice. That's the reason I would only ever join his mentoring group. My training has been going really well. As I am working on other aspects of my training, I am also trying to seriously improve my nutrition. I am a finicky eater and normally only eat things that are pretty bad for me. This time around, I am making a concerted effort to eat healthy. For all the mothers in the group, I know that preparing health meals take more time. How do you fit that into your schedules? Any helpful tips for someone who is kitchen challenged?

I am not a mother, but maybe I am qualified to help on kitchen prep

Lots of folks take their day off and make meals for the week that day. Chop the veggies, prepackage the protein part and have it all ready. I am not that good. However, when I make a meal, I often double it and put part in the freezer immediately. There is always a meal, or soup, or chili, or my veggie lasagne in the freezer for when I need  a quick dinner and feel too tired to cook one. That is when I get in trouble and eat crap- when I am too tired or lazy to fix a meal. Bam, excuse is gone! When chopping veggies like onions, peppers, broccoli I buy and cut up more and put them in the freezer so I always have ingredients on hand to make lots of dishes. I have bulk garlic cloves in the freezer, too. I keep canned tomatoes and beans on hand (I can my own, but store bought is fine) so I always have basic ingredients on hand.

2015-01-17 2:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
There has been good advice on cooking. I'd say don't think every meal has to be a production from scratch. You can pick up a roasted chicken at the supermarket. I buy mixed lettuce in a bag - pre-washed. You can get shredded carrots, broc etc. to through in. Have sliced meat to throw in the salad. A potato or sweet potato takes just 5 mins or so in a microwave - faster than it would take to heat up frozen french fries.
Easy enough to swap out white pasta and breads for good hearty versions.

Have premade sauces on hand to throw over veggies or pasta - alfredo, pasta sauce, Indian or Asian sauces - no reason you have to go to adding all your own spices and flavorings.

I like frozen veggies as they are always on hand and never go bad. On a plate a cup of them will need 1 min. in microwave to heat up.
I never leave the house without a cooler of cheese sticks, almonds, protein drinks and an apple. When stuck a salad from Subway with sliced meat is good. Pack a banana and a little tupperware of peanut butter.
Not often "natural" but there are a wide range of bars to keep on hand, watch the sugar content, some are worse than candy bars.

Good luck!
Mitzi

Edited by MuscleMomma 2015-01-17 2:39 PM
2015-01-18 8:23 AM
in reply to: #5075206

User image

Hey Nick, how was your order bike ride? I too had my first bike ride yesterday (friend let me borrow his spare bike for training). Went a hot all of the gear but like you, it was my first ever time on a bike with clip less pedals... I did fall over!! Actually the whole ride was pretty bad for me apart from a beautiful 10 minutes on a flat straight haha

Another thing I'm having difficulty getting used to are the vertical brake leers. Can someone also please explain to me how the four gear shifters work? On both the left and right side, the brake leers also act like gear shifters too. They have one large and one smaller shifter that pushes toward the centre line of the bike. It was mainly luck that I ended up findings the right gears :-)

Anyway, I'm now off for a swim/sink!
2015-01-18 2:49 PM
in reply to: kmatt318

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by kmatt318

I for one would love it if Steve/Baowolf was my coach. His advise is solid and his track record is proven. I increased my running per his advise and BQ'd twice. e

That's the reason I would only ever join his mentoring group.

My training has been going really well. As I am working on other aspects of my training, I am also trying to seriously improve my nutrition. I am a finicky eater and normally only eat things that are pretty bad for me. This time around, I am making a concerted effort to eat healthy. For all the mothers in the group, I know that preparing health meals take more time. How do you fit that into your schedules? Any helpful tips for someone who is kitchen challenged?

Robin and Mitzi have made great suggestions. I do the same type of things that both of them do. Since we eat boiled eggs for b'fast or add to other things, on Sundays I boil enough to last til Friday and then peel them. Easy to grab. Same things for black beans, charred corn, and roasted bellpeppers. I buy prewashed spinach and can always be happy with spinach salad, corn, avocado, black beans, a little goat cheese, and then a sprinkle of lemon juice and red wine vinegar. Hubby is very into smoothies. When I cook on weekends, I make large quantities of things and then we eat off it for several days or, like Robin, freeze it for later. I have been known to make 7 pounds of meatloaf or 3 roasted chickens or 20 hamburgers and then freeze. This time of year, soup is always a great option. I'm also notorious for reaching in my fridge and finding all leftovers and making an omelet (well really just scrambled eggs since I can fold the omelet) or a stirfry. Or, creating your own pizza by using flatbreads with left overs.

Oh, I learned this from a smoothie class. As bananas start to go bad, peel, put in Ziploc and freeze. You can do for other fruits too or buy frozen fruits. And for soup mixing, when you have leftover food (like vegetables or some meat), drain the juice from the veggies, throw all in a Ziploc bag and freeze.

Mainly tho, make sure that you have things on hand that you like so it's always at the ready. Love Mitzi suggestion of carrying food with her where she goes.
2015-01-18 3:21 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Love all the foodie suggestions! Just two of us, so most recipes are already scaled to make leftovers. This weekend I made green chili chicken stew from the "Body for Life" cookbook, had it for lunch again today, and will take it for lunch 2 or 3 days this week. Smoking a pork loin today, will make a light herb potato salad, and sauté some collard greens to go with it....more leftovers. Hubby will cook lemon garlic chicken in the crockpot one day this week, I'll add some carrots or green beans, and again we will have more leftovers. Breakfast...steel cut oats with apples cooked tonight in the crockpot....should make plenty for the week. Yes, the crockpot and the soup pot are our friends!

Walked 11.5 miles yesterday with hubby at the lake. Beautiful sunshiny day and a break in the cold. So much so that my face got sunburned.

Yes, falling is part of the whole learning to ride clipped in thing. So long as nothing but pride is seriously damaged, all is well!
2015-01-18 3:32 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am going to try to incorporate them into my weekly routine.

This was a recovery week for me so everything was this week was short. Took advantage of the nice NC weather and took my boxer for a six mile run. She did great. She also helped me to make it an easy run.

2015-01-18 9:19 PM
in reply to: #5084549

User image

Just checking in as I haven't had much time over the last couple of days.
Did a great ride yesterday and then suffered through my half today but I now have a running coach to help me with my bio mechanics etc. Long week this week and then recovery next week!
2015-01-18 10:51 PM
in reply to: journeytoironwoman

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Steph - hope that foot improves

Pam - forgot about the hard boiled eggs!

Basic smoothie recipe I use-
scoop of protein powder,
cup or two of liquid (I'm doing 5 cal. Splash, some form of dairy or dairy substitute healthier),
  • 5 cup frozen berries
  • teaspoon of coconut oil (don't bother melting it)
    tbs of flax or chia seeds
    a leaf of kale,
    I knock it out fast, I keep the blender on the counter. Start blending with just enough liquid to cover stuff, when it is good and blender I add the rest of the liquid - best way to get it nice and smooth

Got myself a 15# kettlebell. Tried a 10#, but as most moves use swinging it was too light. Had a good workout using a DVD.

Called a used wetsuit business to order a new wetsuit in a medium. Guy told me to order a L. so I ordered a large. Then realized I had a large, plus as the new one is not a petite size I'm sure the arms and legs will be too long. Tried on my old suit and can't believe that it is still tight. How could I have worn it 30 lbs. ago?! Do they stretch out? I bought the old one used so maybe it was just very stretched out?

Have a friend who lost a lot of weight, we did the same program, and talked about getting into tri's. She signed up for a sprint this summer so I told her to come over and we'll try on the wetsuit I just got. I'm going to get her on BT and show her different things to wear - it's going to be fun!

Mitzi
    2015-01-19 8:51 AM
    in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Update from me...

I swam my first full length in freestyle on Sunday morning! This may not sound like a lot, and in truth it isn't distance-wise, but it was a huge milestone for me given that I've only just started learning freestyle and it was my 3rd time in the pool the breathing and rhythm is getting better...

I also clocked my fastest 4 mile run on Saturday (averaging 8:30/mile) and my fastest 8 mile run on Sunday (averaging 9:06/mile). I'm woring on a program to run 4 hour marathon distance and it seems to be working. Today is my rest day, and I'm loving it so far! I got to sleep in until 6:00am haha

I now have an appropriate nutrition menu for the week, planned sleeping pattern for recovery, and will be compiling a solid training program for swim, bike, run and strength training (somewhere in the region of 4x4x4x2) with Mondays being my rest day. Do you guys think this sounds achievable?

Anyway... Happy Monday!
    David
    2015-01-19 4:29 PM

User image

Elite
    Alturas, California
    That looks good if you can fit in the swim. Grats on swimming, it totally sucks until you get the breathing and rotation down. Until then it is controlled drowning.

It was 25 mile bike and 2800 yard swim for me today. The swim went really well but kicked my butt. I did a ladder of 100 yards then 50 yards as it got faster getting faster 1/2 sec 50 x 15 and then back down by 1/2 sec per 50 x 15. Tired now. So I am going out of town for a week starting in about 30 minutes so I will likely have minimal to no contact until Friday. GoGo hotel gem workouts. Alrighty time to go pack.
    2015-01-20 7:40 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
    Steve

I am on my second month of formal training for IMTX which is same as my peak week in HIM training. There has been small things at home and work that makes me stretch my week to the next week about 1or 2 days. I would stretch my week if not miss a long ride or long run and start a new week , but as you can see in my logs its been stretching quite often. Is this common in IM training? will it bite me in the end?

Thanks

Carlo

2015-01-20 8:39 AM

User image

You're absolutely right, it did kind of feel like controlled drowning Today, however, I'm starting to get a rhythm down and it's starting to make more sense in my brain... being not so uncomfortable and unnatural in the water. This relaxation helped me get 3 separate lengths in today! So, at least I'm improving. One day, I'm sure it will just click and I'll start knocking the drills out of the park.

Ok, to be a bit more specific, my schedule right now looks like:
    Monday - Rest day
    Tuesday - morning swim, afternoon short medium pace run (2:00/0:20 intervals)
    Wednesday - morning swim, afternoon medium bike (1mi/0.5mi intervals)
    Thursday - morning short medium pace run, afternoon medium pace short bike, lower strength session
    Friday - morning swim, medium bike (1mi/0.5mi intervals)
    Saturday - morning short medium paced run (2:00/0:20 intervals), afternoon long race-pace bike, upper strength session
    Sunday - morning swim, afternoon long race-pace run

Does this have a good balance, you think?
    2015-01-20 9:02 AM
    in reply to: journeytoironwoman

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Originally posted by journeytoironwoman

Just checking in as I haven't had much time over the last couple of days.
    Did a great ride yesterday and then suffered through my half today but I now have a running coach to help me with my bio mechanics etc. Long week this week and then recovery next week!

Congrats!!! Race report please.
    2015-01-20 10:25 AM

User image

Portland, Oregon
    Originally posted by RookeyDavid

Ok, to be a bit more specific, my schedule right now looks like:
    Monday - Rest day
    Tuesday - morning swim, afternoon short medium pace run (2:00/0:20 intervals)
    Wednesday - morning swim, afternoon medium bike (1mi/0.5mi intervals)
    Thursday - morning short medium pace run, afternoon medium pace short bike, lower strength session
    Friday - morning swim, medium bike (1mi/0.5mi intervals)
    Saturday - morning short medium paced run (2:00/0:20 intervals), afternoon long race-pace bike, upper strength session
    Sunday - morning swim, afternoon long race-pace run

RookeyDavid, this is so incredibly helpful - I was wondering what a week schedule would look like, and was having a hard time figuring out the 3/3/3 structure in my head. Reading it, though, is a bit intimidating...does it feel like a lot? Is it overwhelming in the beginning? How do you work it around work/life?

UPDATE:
    I picked up my bike and all the gear on Friday, ordered a Garmin 920XT (my super old Forerunner 305 died), and picked up a pair of Aqua Sphere Vista goggles....so I guess I'm officially ready to go (and out of excuses). Rode the bike for the first time on Saturday, then again this morning (on the trainer) - not for a long time; just trying to get used to it. I'm blown away at how smooth it is (my first time on a road bike), and how sore certain...ummm....parts of my body are (yes, I did get a pair of bike shorts). I'll hit the pool this week for the first time too. Not trying to set any records; more just trying to get used to everything again.

My biggest struggle now is in how to make it all fit (with work, kids, etc.)...but that's not a new struggle. Again, RookeyDavid your schedule really helps. Does anybody else have a weekly schedule they'd like to share?

Reach the BHAG,
    -nm
    2015-01-20 12:17 PM

User image

Nick, I completely agree with you on the saddle soreness!haha It's a little off-putting but I'm sure it gets better with time. I also actually found my hands being a little bruised too with the handlebars being shaped so differently to what I'm used to... again, I'm imagining it's just down to repetition and adaptation.

I'm no expert by the way, I'm just driven and work alongside a triathlon master so end up turning to him for a lot of advice as well as here. I would also suggest getting this book by Matt Dixon - http://www.amazon.com/The-Well-Built-Triathlete-Potential-Performan... . It has also helped me a lot... especially in realizing the importance of strength training and setting a regular schedule too!

My weekly routine above is 4x4x4x2, so your 3x3x3 should look and feel a lot less intimidating :-) I just thankfully have a supportive wife! It actually felt like a lot the first week, but to be honest, it's all good now and I end up craving it. This is also just for the first 12-16 weeks, then I'll be moving to more brick training supplemented by smaller individual bouts of each discipline. My rest day (yesterday) was insanely relaxing and I didn't know what to do with myself... I'm normally swimming by 6:00am and if it's a short run, I'll do it over my lunch break at work. anything longer, I'll do it as soon as I get home. the weekends are where I can make a larger concerted effort and it is as enjoyable as it is taxing. So far, thank fully (touch wood), I haven't had any injuries (apart from sore shins after running, the usual DOMs and injured pride after falling sideways off the bike when coming to a stop!).

I'll be out to run my interval training over 4 miles at lunch today, so this evening is all mine :-) Everyone is different. Everyone has different schedules, so I guess it's all about what works for you. The early starts are not bad once you just get going... so as long as you can convince yourself to just get to the pool, get your running gear on or get on to the bike then you'll be fine. Once you start any activity, your blood is going, heart starts pumping and away you go :-) For me now, there is no better way to start the day!

Dave

Edited by RookeyDavid 2015-01-20 3:22 PM
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : May 5, 2008
    author : TriPainter
    comments : 1
    I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.