BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2015-01-20 4:40 PM
in reply to: RookeyDavid

User image

Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)
Dave - so funny, I ordered Dixon's book about two minutes after writing my last post. Great to hear that you found it so helpful - can't wait to get it! Also, really appreciate the added perspective on your routine - it really helps bring things into focus & give an idea how everything works on a real-world level. I used to get up at 5am and run back in my running-addict days (about 7 months ago), so getting up early isn't the problem...frankly, it's the multiple-workouts-in-one-day that's intimidating. But, your note on it being a lot initially, but calming down, is reassuring.

I had a couple questions pop into my head during my lunchtime run today...

QUESTIONS:
1) I've read a few people in the group mention having/getting coaches (running, swimming, etc.) - how does this work? Where did you find them? Does it help? Is it just advice, or are they building workouts/schedules for you? On a bang-for-buck scale, is it worth it? Would love anybody's thoughts on this.

2) Dave mentioned the Matt Dixon book - any other books out there that are worth picking up? Not only Tri-based, but any faves on Nutrition? Cooking?

QUOTE OF THE DAY:
"...just get to the pool, get your running gear on, or get to the bike and you'll be fine"

-nm

2015-01-20 5:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Nick: I am no expert by any means and this is just my experience. As for a coach, I did my half ironman self coached with input from the mentor group I was in, some swim drills found online, and the general principles I found in Don Fink's book "Be Iron Fit." It worked, but I had lots of room for improvement. I started working with a running coach this fall after being involved in quite a few running events, and wanting to improve. He is also assisting with the full distance training on the bike, but not the swim. Not his area of expertise. What I've learned over the last 4 months is that while I was running and following a "plan" I wasn't getting the most out of the workouts. Now that I've been running under his guidance, I've knocked about 3 minutes off of my 5k time (lots of low hanging fruit helped that) and have generally seen better results. It also helps me to have accountability. Had it not been for the coaching session this morning, I would have bagged the run and done something else (bike or sleep - it would have been a coin flip). Turned out to be one of my better tempo sessions I've had since before Christmas. I feel I'm seeing more improvement because of the trainer than I did looking back at my logs from before when I was self coached. At this point, I feel its worth it. There are countless triathletes out there though that are not using a coach and beating me left and right, so I would say its a personal decision whether its worth it or not.

As for books, I read the Be Iron Fit book and thought it was pretty well written and had lots of useful information. He also had the training plans included in his book which I used as a foundation to create my half iron plan. I haven't read the other book you referred to.

I hope this helps,

Steve

(edited to get the right name)

Edited by stevesflyshop 2015-01-20 5:17 PM
2015-01-20 6:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by nickmallory

Dave - so funny, I ordered Dixon's book about two minutes after writing my last post. Great to hear that you found it so helpful - can't wait to get it! Also, really appreciate the added perspective on your routine - it really helps bring things into focus & give an idea how everything works on a real-world level. I used to get up at 5am and run back in my running-addict days (about 7 months ago), so getting up early isn't the problem...frankly, it's the multiple-workouts-in-one-day that's intimidating. But, your note on it being a lot initially, but calming down, is reassuring.

I had a couple questions pop into my head during my lunchtime run today...

QUESTIONS:
1) I've read a few people in the group mention having/getting coaches (running, swimming, etc.) - how does this work? Where did you find them? Does it help? Is it just advice, or are they building workouts/schedules for you? On a bang-for-buck scale, is it worth it? Would love anybody's thoughts on this.

2) Dave mentioned the Matt Dixon book - any other books out there that are worth picking up? Not only Tri-based, but any faves on Nutrition? Cooking?

QUOTE OF THE DAY:
"...just get to the pool, get your running gear on, or get to the bike and you'll be fine"

-nm

Books, one of my favt subjects. "You are an Ironman" where one of the contributors is an BT mentor. "Iron Wars", excellent on many fronts although I plowed thru much of the scientific parts but loved the parts about IM. "The China Study" and "Forks over Knives" (both dealing with nutrition which I haven't completely bought into but hubby has). Dean Kamerez (sp?), called something like Ultra Running Man. Born to Run. Finding Ultra. Vinnie Tortorich's "Angriest Trainer". Don Fink. Can learn something from all. Definitely look at "You are an Ironman" for inspiration. I'm sure I'll think of more.

Since I'm more running based than tri, I like Hanson Brother's Marathon Training. BUT I feel that it should only be tried with a long standing base. Anything that I said should always be taken with a grain of salt. And a dose of reality on where you currently are.

Baowolf, have you thought about changing the subject line of our group? Currently it shows up as "RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FU" and FU usually leads me in a different direction....and not a good one. Hubby thought it meant we were FULL. I started to change to Baowolf's Fun Winter training but wanted to run by you.

Edited by Pink Socks 2015-01-20 7:20 PM
2015-01-20 10:45 PM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Hello everyone! Can't believe it's been 2 months since I last posted (and a new group). I'm Phil. Haven't been in touch with the forum but I'm staying relatively active in these winter months (which I don't usually do). It might be too late to post my bio but I'll do it anyway. Just wanted to jump in, say, hi, and subscribe to this thread (and get those email notifications. much easier for me) and read through what I missed.

Edited by phifatech 2015-01-20 10:46 PM
2015-01-20 11:22 PM
in reply to: #5075206

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hrm it says Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group...no really it is!! Does your screan cut off the end of the text? I wouldn't put anything vulgar.

Todays workout, 7 mile run, 25 mile bike, 2500 yard swim.
2015-01-20 11:45 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Hey Phil - I just got back too.

Steph - I missed that you did a HIM! Yes, get out a race report.

2015-01-21 6:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by Baowolf

Hrm it says Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group...no really it is!! Does your screan cut off the end of the text? I wouldn't put anything vulgar.

Todays workout, 7 mile run, 25 mile bike, 2500 yard swim.

Oh Steve, I know you wouldn't put anything vulgar. Yes, the screen cuts off the end of the text on the right side of the screen when you first enter the mentor thread. The left side of the page has the full verbiage but the right side cuts off. I'm probably the only one that teehee's when I see it but then when hubby said he thought that we were FULL, I thought I'd mention in case other people were right-side-of-the-screen readers.
2015-01-21 9:51 AM
in reply to: nickmallory

User image

Hi Nick,

For me, the coaching is a life saver as I don't know how to freestyle swim :-) It's an absolute necessity. Whilst talking to my coach though (who also coaches pros triathletes) he says that most people can benefit from some form of advice... We've stood at the side of the pool and as part of my training we've actually watched other swimmers (again, some pro) and identified weak spots. This has also helped me in my specific performance to correct my form.

In short, I think that a knowledgeable outsiders view on what you're doing, be it swim, bike or run, is all valuable so would suggest having one session with someone to see if it helps you. Saying that, most people with pure determination can make it through an event and there are plenty that do so without any form of coaching.

Oh and let us know what you think of the book :-) I'm still not all the way through it yet, but it's definitely helped with structure and focus. I've also decided to sign up for a Boulder Olympic Tri this summer (late June) to get prepared for IM Boulder 2016 and give me a mid-term goal. I'm looking into the Boulder Sunrise or Boulder Tri. Anyone else planning on doing these?

Dave
2015-01-22 8:48 AM

User image

I'm so pumped! I went to the pool this morning and I finally got to grips with my bi-lateral breathing, form and position... Managed several laps! I'm slow, but I'm correct. My training fins arrive tomorrow too, and I also have been told to exercise my glutes to help with cycling and swimming as I have weak antagonist muscles at the moment, so my hip flexors are doing all the work and wearing out quickly.

6 miles of interval running at lunch time today too... Today is a good day.

And now I've also signed up for the Boulder Sunset Olympic Tri later on this year... Now I have my mid-goal.

Edited by RookeyDavid 2015-01-22 11:41 AM
2015-01-22 4:06 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by RookeyDavid I'm so pumped! I went to the pool this morning and I finally got to grips with my bi-lateral breathing, form and position... Managed several laps! I'm slow, but I'm correct. My training fins arrive tomorrow too, and I also have been told to exercise my glutes to help with cycling and swimming as I have weak antagonist muscles at the moment, so my hip flexors are doing all the work and wearing out quickly. 6 miles of interval running at lunch time today too... Today is a good day. And now I've also signed up for the Boulder Sunset Olympic Tri later on this year... Now I have my mid-goal.

YAY for bi-lateral breathing. I suck at this. It helps so much to be able to do that.

2015-01-22 4:53 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Thanks for the encouragement - it wasn't good! I'm off to see a doctor about my knee in a minute and think I need to book an appointment with a different Dr next week just to get a second opinion.
I ran a bit last night but nothing major and am now in serious guilt/worry mode about the marathon in March. I need to get miles in but can't run beyond 3 without pain at the moment. Any ideas/suggestions. I'm breaking in a pair of Newton's to see if that will help with form - just doing warm ups in them at the moment and all is well, they feel good!

Am I cutting it too fine not doing a lot this week? The marathon is March 15th. I've worked out that I can get in 7 more long runs but only really 6 weeks of training when I'm going to need to run 3/4 times during the week. Is this ok?

Thank you in advance!!

Nick - well done on the bi lateral breathing! That's a tough cookie to break!

2015-01-22 7:21 PM
in reply to: journeytoironwoman

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Nick, I struggle with bi-lateral breathing as well. Just have to keep working at it. In six months you will be amazed at your growth.
2015-01-22 10:21 PM
in reply to: kmatt318

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I like the Dixon book. I'm new, but need more than the here are the pedals, here is the brake, now ride. He gives some of the specifics like how to lean into turns. Gives the little tips that I don't know and find helpful.
2015-01-23 7:47 AM

User image

Hey Steph, I don't really have much advice on the distances and frequency given that you're injured, but I can tell you that running with Newtons correctly should take the emphasis away from your knees...

Have you run with them before? It was a difficult transition for me to run long distance in my Newtons as the pressure is put some much more on the calves and less elsewhere. The best advice that I was given by the guys at Newton was to lean forward a little more from the ankles and act as if you're running on ice. With this in mind, you'll tend to land toe first/flat footed as opposed to heel striking which is the main thing that sends shocks up to the knees (especially with the low heels that those shoes will have!)

I hope this helps!

Thanks everyone for the comments on bi-lateral breathing. I, fortunately, don't know any different so haven't fallen into the habit of only breathing on one side... I guess that makes me lucky, by the sounds of it?!

Oh, and I completely agree on the Dixon book! Glad it's actually given other people benefit too! I wasn't sure how well known it was... It's great how it's all broken down into science at the beginning, case studies and all, then built upon that. Love that book!

Edited by RookeyDavid 2015-01-23 7:48 AM
2015-01-23 9:01 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Steph, your miles are really low for a marathon and the pain thing is not a good thing either. If you get over what ever is causing pain you will be able to complete a marathon given your current training increases, but not at a fast pace. Ideally you get in 3x20 mile runs as part of your build up and even in perfect health you will probably not get up past 1 x 17 miles run. Ideally you would also be getting in more weekly miles so that your long run is less than 50 percent of your long run and preferably closer to 1/3. So it will be more important to be healthy for the race than to go far at this point as you are already in not a great place training wise. Have you run marathons before, I forget? What did the doc say about your knee. If he lets you walk I would walk 4x4 miles and 1x 8-10 miles a week while you are recovering. Hopefully it isn't something that will completely take you out of the race.

I refer to offside breathing drills as "offside drowning drills." Some day I may get better at it. My neck is less flexible on the offside and stretching it has not done much.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-01-23 9:08 PM
2015-01-24 12:51 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Hi all!
Trying to catch up with all the posts! Great group here, cool to see progression for everyone.

Nick: coaching is always helpful, albeit expensive. However, there are plans on BT you can also follow. As far as 3/3/3, I generally do this
M - rest
Tu - run am, swim pm
W - bike
Th- run am, swim pm
F - bike
Sat - bike long, swim
Sun- run long
With kids, I found that I HAD to wake up early to do things, and swim later at night. Plus getting an early start on weekends helps you spend some time with the family.

Dave: where are you located? I'm in Broomfield. Doing Boulder Peak (oly - in July), plus Summer Open sprint in May and a half IM in Kansas.

Steph: how's the knee??? I had a knee issue years ago when marathon training. I had a skiing fall - was fine, then months later as I ramped up my run training, got 17 miles and then suddenly couldn't run more than 10 minutes. I had a meniscus tear, surgery, then not allowed to run for 6 months. Usually it's some sort of soft tissue problem, or a muscle imbalance

Ken: the kitchen. It helps me a TON to menu plan. I do 2 weeks at a time, plan dinners, then shop for the ingredients I need. then I know what I"m preparing when I get home and there are no questions.

Mitzi: Wetsuits don't stretch much. For your new one, you can always cut the sleeves/legs if they turn out to be too long!

Carlo: I hear you about pushing the training out - I've done it too. If it turns out that you are doing a ton at the end of the week to catch up, figure out which are the key workouts (or long ones) and cut out one or two others.

Today I have a 1:40 bike, swimming and running is tomorrow. No racing for me until a half mary in April.

2015-01-24 2:22 PM
in reply to: COgirl

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Just checking in. 2 weeks down on my new job. I'm walking after lunch most days and mostly keeping up with the "walk the Cowtown 1/2" schedule. FIL (age 96) is in the hospital with chest congestion and some elevated cardiac enzymes but seems to be doing pretty well. Job seems to be 8-5 with a 25ish minute commute each way, so should be able to cobble together a workout schedule after we get FIL through this rough patch.
2015-01-24 3:37 PM

User image

I'm up in Longmont at the moment, but work in Westminster so I'm always somewhere inbetween :-) That's a good line up of events this year!
2015-01-24 8:34 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ah Longmont is where my brother in law lives. We visit there fairly often. The bike course is marked on the pavement so you can go out and practice it (unless they change it). The swim for IM Boulder is interesting in that it is a single loop which makes it look huge. We will be out there for IM Boulder this year, may have to meet up.

70 mile bike ride for me today. Workouts gona be getting tougher here on out.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-01-24 8:44 PM
2015-01-24 9:20 PM

User image

I'd be happy to meet up! Fortunately, being a member of Boulder County rec centre, I can swim in the res whenever I want (when it's open of course) so I'm going to be getting a lot of good practise at the real swim too!

Big blisters on my feet today after running without socks for the first time and going straight into a ride... Perhaps I should have taken it easier :-( Just thought it would help with T2 to get used to running that way.

My swim today also didn't go as well as yesterday. We all have good and bad days!
2015-01-25 6:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Wow, lots of great things going on. I admire all of you for working on bilateral breathing. I've spent a lot of time swimming my entire life so I thought that I could quickly pick up bilateral breathing at the age of 50. Wrong, wrong, wrong. I don't think I'll ever get the hang of it.

Steve and Carlos, looks like you are both in your IM build. Good luck, good health, and lots of energy to you.

It's so great that several of our people can potentially meet up in CO or TX. I'm jealous.

Steph, is your knee pain related to your surgery? Please be careful. And Steve is right regarding taking it easy on your training and walking (if the doctor allows). I don't know who said it but I quote it to my hubby all of the time, "If you undertrain, you may not finish the race. But if you overtrain, you may not start the race."

Carol, glad the job is going well. Praying for your FIL.

Today I will need to do a 5 to 7 mile run and then I'll "taper". I put "taper" in quote because I'm only been half-hearted training this time with the holidays, work, bad weather, stress, and insert any other excuses I can find right here. This next mary will have a lot of walking in it and my goal is to just realize that I get what I deserve and accept it.

2015-01-25 1:08 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Steve - I ride all the roads for the IM Boulder course regularly and can give you updates - August can be very hot and windy. Hopefully it's an awesome day this year!

And Dave, I live in Broomfield, work in Boulder - we must cross paths during our commutes! ha! If you want to meet up, we can!

Pam - I hear you about bilat breathing. I swear I sink every time I breathe to the left. Guess we need to do more weak side breathing ugh.

I ran this morning - beautiful day here! It's going to be in the upper 60s and sunny in CO the next few days too! Amazing for January.
2015-01-25 4:06 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So socks are our friends. When one is missing 1st place by less than 30 seconds at a major international race then no socks may become relevant. For mortals... or at least until you are solidly front of the pack wearing socks will help you train and improve without blisters. To help your blisters heal, sterilize a pin, poke a small hole in the blister and drain it. Repeat as often as needed until it no longer fills up with fluid.

12 mile run for me today, back up at altitude was meh. However, there was a thin layer of frost that made every grain of sand, rock etc., all sparkly in the morning sunlight (26F). Swim later today. I am in that build phase where I will just be tired a lot.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-01-25 4:15 PM
2015-01-26 8:31 AM

User image

That's the general view I arrived at too, so I've packed my socks again today :-)

Swam this morning and I don't know what's happening, but I seem to be regressing! I'm now only able to make it 3/4 of a length in freestyle. I still have a long way to go it seems. My training fins still haven't shown up yet (thanks to slow couriers!) and I have another coaching session on Wednesday. I can't wait until I can swim well enough to complete a tri distance...

COgirl, where do you swim/ride/run?
2015-01-26 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
I finally got back in the water during a Tri-101 class my wife and I signed up for and learned a lot. First, taking a year and a half off of swimming will not help your endurance. I tried to justify it in my mind as a really long taper but I have my work cut out for me now. I did learn that I am over-rotating, and working on drills to help that. Going to get my recovery run in today over my lunch hour so maybe I can have some semblance of a quiet evening at home. Probably won't happen though.

We also got signed up for the Bolder Boulder 10K race. I've ran in it 3 times previously and really enjoy it. Nothing like joining 47,000 of your closest running friends for a jaunt around Boulder on Memorial Day.

Steve
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.