BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2015-03-01 9:25 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)
Feb. Reports

Swim: 4h 23m 02s - 10582.26 Yd
Bike: 21h 31m 10s - 379.75 Mi
Run: 13h 01m 47s - 78.59 Mi

Getting the hang of it on the indoor trainer. No sense riding cold outside if my race is under the heat.
March is a month of purgatory meaning April is HELL!!!!

cheer up everyone racing season is coming up.

2015-03-01 10:34 PM
in reply to: aturnbul

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
You don't really have to worry about lactic acid build up during the race. You just work your training plan and your body will take care of things during the race, even up to IM distance. 8 oz of water would make anyone pretty sloshy with sideache's unless the temp is 105F +. Water intake is highly variable depending on temperature. If cool I do 3 oz of water every 3 miles, if hot (90+) 3 oz every mile. In the winter I can do a 15 mile run with no water, but in the summer I need water during the first mile (100F).
2015-03-01 10:44 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Cedar City, Utah
NAME: ojaister / Todd

STORY: I have had a goal for the past 4 years to complete a HIM in 2015 and an IM in 2016. To keep motivation up, I've volunteered at the St George IM and HIMs for the past few years. Multiple jobs, saving up for the equipment and a crazy schedule have made training difficult, but it wasn't until I got my bike last year and registered for my first HIM in May that things became a reality. I have a decent running base, but have less than a year under my belt in swimming and 8 months of cycling. Cycling came fairly easy being surrounded with friends that have showed me the ropes. Swimming was terrifying and it took me months of Total Immersion drills and finally a coaching session to pull it all together. Only in the past month or two have I been able to swim relaxed and my distance and speed is increasing. My training has given me the confidence I can beat HIM cutoff times, but I don't want to just squeak by and want to finish comfortably with a smile on my face!

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 5 kids

CURRENT TRAINING: Following the BT Beginner HIM training plan. I'm 14 weeks into a 22 week program (I repeated the first 2 weeks) and have 8 weeks left until till my very first event. I'm listening very carefully to my body, it's responding better than expected and my confidence is soaring.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2015): St George HIM - May 2nd, with a goal to do a full IM next year as motivation to keep training through the year and next winter. My 2016 IM race may include Tahoe, Boulder, Coeur d'Alene or Phoenix.

2014 RACES: (Cycling): Tour of St George 70 mile, Oceanside Century

WEIGHTLOSS: Yeah, I need it. 5' 10" & 200lbs with a desire to drop 20 lbs by May. I have dropped 20 lbs over the past 6 months, but need to dig deeper. I'm not too bent on this, I just want to be sure I fuel my training and recovery, but keep the nasty simple carbs to a minimum. Just trying to balance it all.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'm a natural Cheerleader, love to talk, ask questions and learn. I'm more than willing to help where I can, but recognize I'm an infant in the tri world. I live by the mantra, "Givers Gain."
2015-03-01 10:53 PM

User image

Cedar City, Utah
Feb. Reports

Swim: 8h 19m 44s - 18321 Yd
Bike: 13h 10m 55s - 220.57 Mi
Run: 5h 41m 13s - 35.16 Mi
Weight Loss: (even)
2015-03-01 11:36 PM
in reply to: ojaister

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
I've been sick for a week, coughing/trouble breathing, etc. Sure makes it hard to train!
Hello to all the new people here! I need to catch up on posts!
2015-03-02 4:46 AM

Hi, my name is Kurt and I'd like to join...not 100% how exactly but it seems this is the way.

I'm new to the sport, fresh and green. Took part In a sprint relay yesterday but have always been active.

I'll post a bit more about myself later but I look forward to learning and hopefully contributing as well.

Thanks

2015-03-02 7:20 AM
in reply to: tchi_ro

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
I transitioned to focusing on my Run instead of various forms of cross training, and half of those 83 miles were last week. There was a break long enough in the snow that I could actually run instead of shovel snow . Hopefully that continues through spring!

Swim: 20m - 1430 Yd
Bike: 1h 20m - 21 Mi
Run: 12h 52m 53s - 83.13 Mi

I'm still continuing to play soccer and basketball for a few more weeks, so that has been skewing my numbers a bit.
2015-03-02 7:24 AM
in reply to: tchi_ro

Welcome Todd and Kurt. It's exciting to hear people planning for races as the winter here (northern NY) has been very hard on outdoor training. It's cheery to hear people are anticipating spring.

Cathy, I'm sorry to hear about the illness and hope you're feeling better soon. Oddly, when I start getting the feeling that a flu bug or cold is starting to take hold, I usually go out for a 5:00 am run of 6-8 miles. My initial theory was I'd just hasten the illness and then I'd be over it faster. To my surprise, I almost always actually avoid the illness. Something to do with raising core temperature. Regardless, wishing you a speedy recovery.

I'm eagerly awaiting a new 2015 Cannondale Slice 3. Another week 'till it comes in then the build and fitting! Have any of you tried this bike?
2015-03-02 10:09 AM
in reply to: aturnbul

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Good numbers everyone!

Run: 1:36, 9.4 mi
Bike: 6:04, 99.7 mi
Hike: 1:03, 2.76
Snowboard: 0:57 (only downhill included)
Yoga: 2:33
Rock Climbing: 5:01 (about half that was belaying)

I compared my activity to last year, and last year in February I did:
Run: 7:01, 44.4 mi

Though last year I was focused on running because I was training for a half mary. This Feb I was pleased with my activity level, and excited about the variation. Though I do need to run more.

Olley: I'm excited for you getting that bike! Hope it fits well and you spend countless hours in aero.

Jimmy: IMO soccer and bball don't screw your numbers. Post em up too! My soccer season starts this month too. Funny dictionary you wrote back there. I have a few tri books that I've gone thru and most of them have a dictionary-type section due to all the acronyms and terms unique to tri.

Kurt and Todd, welcome. Incredible that you can throw up such great numbers with 5 kids, Todd. But our mentor Steve can do the same. So maybe once I get to 5 kids my training schedule will open up?

Dennis good to see you back here.

Mitzi, those are great numbers. 5 hours in all sports is more activity than most people! These winter months are slow for me too but any little bit helps.
Cathy, and everyone else who's dealing with health issues, hope you recover quickly!
2015-03-02 10:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member

heHah, I was going to post my totals for Feb, but the site is only showing November of last year. Not even December.

tI'll try later. I KNOW they are not what should be showing for supposedly doing a HIM in 3.5 weeks!

THERE they are:

Swim 5800 yd

Bike 118 miles

run 48 miles

Pitiful!

Edited by ceilidh 2015-03-02 10:30 AM
2015-03-02 12:41 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Lexington, South Carolina
Good work out there people. These are motivation enough.

Here are my meager February numbers. The goal is to start ramping it this month.

Swim: 1313 yards
Bike: 11.2 miles
Run: 30.67 miles

2015-03-02 12:43 PM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Cedar City, Utah
Originally posted by phifatech
Kurt and Todd, welcome. Incredible that you can throw up such great numbers with 5 kids, Todd. But our mentor Steve can do the same. So maybe once I get to 5 kids my training schedule will open up?

Thanks for the Shout Out. Yeah, it requires a 5am alarm and some very cold rides in below-freezing temps. I find it gives me more energy in the evenings when I have the workouts behind me and can focus more attention on the family. Unfortunately, it's usually then back to work on side projects and to bed after 11/midnight. Lack of sleep is by far the greatest fault that slows my recovery and weight loss.
2015-03-02 4:18 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Todd welcome. Please do not make IM Tahoe your first or second IM. It is at elevation (6000-7200) it has the most challenging hills in north america and the it could snow during the race. When I did the race it snowed the night before and we had frost on the bike seats at the swim start 25F. My feet were numb until 75 miles into the bike. The first year it was almost smoked out due to fires and the 2nd year it was canceled due to smoke. The bike will kill your run. The first year the average bike pace was 8 hours, which is the bike cutoff time. There was something like a 33 percent DNF rate. They have tamed the course down some, but unless you are coming from a solid bike background and live at elevation and have lots of cold weather gear with good bike handling skills.... I would pick one of the other races.

Todd get a bike trainer so you can get in some in the house workouts. If it is cold enough that you risk ice patches, or iffy lighting where cars can't see you well this is dangerous. The bike is where you are most likely to get hurt, ask how I know.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-03-02 4:24 PM
2015-03-03 10:33 AM

User image

Hi everyone! Feels like ages since I've posted up here...

I've been a lot less active in February than January, but I'll be kicking it up a gear from March. I have been swimming almost every day (at least 5-6 times a week) and alternating between biking (indoor) and running (outdoor).

I've predominantly been focusing on HIIT for both bike and run, so although I can feel it in my muscles for the rest of the day, it doesn't seem like I'm doing enough. Is this just my mind playing tricks on me? I used to bike for a couple hours or run for a couple hours... but now my interval sessions are done completely in about 1hr-1hr 15m. Are there any suggestions of how to work HIIT into endurance training? I hear that doing a HIIT session on Monday can still affect your performance on Friday. I'm looking to increase speed but also long term looking to increase endurance and distance.

David

Edited by RookeyDavid 2015-03-03 10:33 AM
2015-03-03 3:07 PM
in reply to: RookeyDavid

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
February's totals
Swim: 3h 00m - 3000 Yd
Bike: 3h 30m - 45.3 Mi
Run: 13h 26m 46s - 77.25 Mi
Strength: 5h 30m

Not a great month. Just when I thought I was getting into the swing of things life got in the way. March is already looking better, so hopefully the training consistency improves!

2015-03-03 3:40 PM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Intervals can definitely kick your butt. The general idea is get your base up thick enough to handle the intensity without it wrecking you too badly. Then add the intensity in gradually (1 800 repeat first week 2 second week etc. up to 12 or whatever). Generally you only do 1 intensity workout running per week and maybe a hill workout. With bike and swim you can add more intensity without getting fried, but it will have an impact. You do need to run faster to run faster and then you can stretch that pace into longer distances. Without the general aerobic fitness though, your speed won't work very long. So it is a balancing act. I find that with running 35-38 miles per week I can do an 800 yard interval workout on Tuesday and start to get my uphta back by Friday.

2015-03-03 6:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by Baowolf

Intervals can definitely kick your butt. The general idea is get your base up thick enough to handle the intensity without it wrecking you too badly. Then add the intensity in gradually (1 800 repeat first week 2 second week etc. up to 12 or whatever). Generally you only do 1 intensity workout running per week and maybe a hill workout. With bike and swim you can add more intensity without getting fried, but it will have an impact. You do need to run faster to run faster and then you can stretch that pace into longer distances. Without the general aerobic fitness though, your speed won't work very long. So it is a balancing act. I find that with running 35-38 miles per week I can do an 800 yard interval workout on Tuesday and start to get my uphta back by Friday.

Steve definitely knows what he is talking about. Running intervals kick my azz. We had an Olympian here in town who was great about giving seminars. He said that the 20 mile long run days were easier than intervals. This was during training for the mile. HIITS are intense and really stress your body.

Folks, get the graphic book "The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances" by Oatmeal. Funny. Silly. And very profound in the last few pages. Great definition of why we do tris, long distances, etc.

Oh man, yesterday I was so concentrated on getting in a good workout - well I didn't realize that I was way overdoing it. 7 miles of hard intensity on hilly terrain (after I started back with stair running). Then about 4 miles of walking on same hilly terrain. Oh I hurt today. And then had yoga today at lunch. Ouch on all parts of me. I'm not real smart.
2015-03-04 8:00 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Thanks Steve & Pink... I see where I was going wrong then. I built up my endurance to a pretty good level but haven't really done anything endurance-wise for a little while and have been doing repetitive HIIT sessions. Balance is needed. I think I'll be more comfortable with endurance fitting in just one HIIT day for each discipline per week.

Thanks for the info guys n gals!
2015-03-05 10:25 AM
in reply to: RookeyDavid

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Welcome new kids and old!

Thought I'd take the opportunity to post Feb #'s:

Swim: 35m - 1400 Yd

Bike: 1h 35m - 20.03 Mi

Run: 10h 56m 19s - 40.98 Mi

30 Day Shred - Level 1: 25m

7 inches of snow on top of sleet and freezing rain layer + temps lingering in the 20's means north central Texas is shut down today. Well...except for my work, which is saying we open at noon. At least the sun is out...first time in 10 days or so that we've seen it. For obvious reasons I'm focused on indoor exercise these days. 30 day shred video 3X/week and even got on the elliptical this morning. Go me!
2015-03-05 11:37 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Swam in an actual pool today. Here is the workout, 300 yards at 1:55/100, then 2x50 at 1:35-1:42 pace (whatever I could hold) repeat until you drown or 3700 yards whatever comes first. Went alright.
2015-03-07 3:14 PM
in reply to: #5075206

User image

Pearland,Tx
Steve / Fellow Trainees

4 hr ride on a trainer , had multiple episodes of cramping have to stop to shake it off I have ridden outside more than that and I hydrate a and feed more indoors. Thoughts?? ideas???

Thanks

Carlo

2015-03-07 9:23 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
You have less variation in motion on the trainer, less side to side, fewer changes in body position for turns, less variation in stress on your legs for pedal intensity (up and down hills). You can vary your intensity to simulate hills and recovery, but it won't compensate for the less movement of body position relative to the road. I end up taking more frequent breaks on the trainer. I will likely be on the trainer for 6 hours tomorrow.....

3 mile race today: 19:14 with mile paces of 6:15, 6:34, 6:25 (not a completely flat course). Got 2nd in age group and 7th overall. To not screw up my training I then ran 13 miles after the race. My 4th and 6th grade boys ran 1 mile in 6:54 and 7:05 respectively.
2015-03-08 9:18 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
I will likely be on the trainer for 6 hours tomorrow.....

YIKES. Got some good movies lined up?

Finally over my illness, getting back in to things. Everyone looks like they're doing great! finally getting warmer, and it's so nice to get outside more
2015-03-08 6:02 PM
in reply to: COgirl

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Sorry for the delay. Here's my totals for Feb.

Run - 99
Swim - 7
Bike - 113
Total - 219 miles

Disappointing numbers but bad weather and changing jobs really reduced my training time. I will be running a half next weekend and I am just hoping to do sub 1:40.

I am re-evaluating my training plan for this year. I originally planned to do Ironman Louisville but I didn't get registered in time. So my A race this year will be a half in September.
2015-03-08 10:17 PM
in reply to: kmatt318

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Great job everyone! Really impressive group...

I completed the last "long" week..  totaled 30 miles with a long of 12. Still don't have the fueling / run fitness where I would like it. Hey, I finished and still did a cool down. I KNOW I will be able to complete the 13.1 (goal number 1) and will be under 3 hours (goal number 2). My performance goal is under 2:45 - which I feel pretty confident of.

I will be running outside as much as possible the next 2 weeks. The treadmill in the gym is on the second floor and must be over 80 degrees.. running outside and in the 40's - 50's should help.

Question - Since it is taper..  I am thinking I can start to add in the bike and swim at low intensity to start working on form? Pool doing drills and bike getting in some spinning and seat time.

Looking forward to reading more from this group.

Best,
-Dennis

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.