BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Consistency Equals Success - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2015-05-27 1:53 PM
in reply to: dgconner154

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Consistency Equals Success - CLOSED
52:18 runch. I was supposed to ride today, but we are having thunder storms and I couldn't bring myself to go on the trainer.

Gabe 23 42:44:49
Jim 23 21:41:50
DaveL 19 22:57
Mitch 24 28:49
Jackie 18 27:18
Dennis 20 23:50
Beth 14 18:00
Dave C. 16 16:10
MarkZ 13 19:40
Mark H 06 10:30
Dan 04 08:53

2015-05-27 7:15 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Hey all!!!

Been absent for a variety of reasons, but as they relate to training, it is because I'm injured again. For those of you with a long enough memory, I have been plagued with injuries for many years. Tore my meniscus my first season training, surgery in March and raced in June. I have battled bursitis in my knees and shoulder, piriformis strains, heel spurs, Achilles injuries and constant neck pain. I ran my 10 miler on May 1st in decent enough time (goal was 1:10 and ran 1:11 with a port a potty stop at mile 4). Something though was wrong and I experienced some nasty heel pain. Fast forward 3 weeks and I have plantars fasciitis and got a cortisone shot today for inflamed bursar sac near the fascia.

That said, I have been lying to myself for he last 12 months and my high hamstring strain sprain has never healed correctly and I have been living and training with mild pain. I am scheduling an ultrasound cortisone shot to address it and hopefully it will work. With all of these injuries, I have come to the decision that I need to readjust my priorities and get healthy once and for all. Step 1 is to fix what's broke, step 2 is to fix the conditions which are causing these repetitive injuries and on a related note, step 3 is to gain greater flexibility and improve my core.

While not a step unto itself a key component of my rehab is to find what in endurance training and racing is truly meaningful to me. I have come to realize that what drew me to this lifestyle was all positive, but over the years my training has become too much about "striving" in an unhealthy manner. At first, the challenge of whether I could do it sustained me, but, as of late, my relationship with training has become self abusive. Rather than focusing on the journey, the dialogue with myself has been more about my imadequacies - if only ... I was a better swimmer, had more time to train, etc. Some of this is undoubtedly coming to terms with the fact that getting faster after 45 becomes much more difficult, but when the training becomes too stressful it is time to reevaluate.

I feel very good about this decision and my respite. I have been on a bit of internal journey over the last year and have become much more connected with myself through a very consistent meditation practice and study of Buddhist traditions. The practice has enabled me to gain better perspective and understanding of the way things truly are - not sure I have any great answers, but I am much better able to identify unhealthy thoughts and emotions.

I have thought about this post for a while and came to the decision that I am not intending to bid farewell to the group as the support I have received over the years from many of you has been so wonderful and I want to keep up with everyone's journeys. I don't plan to drop out of sight altogether. I will be lurking and periodically checking in to pass along encouragement.

May you all be well.

Joe
2015-05-27 8:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Adding a slow 33min run, the picture showed up sideways, dont know why but its kind of funny and I dont know how to fix it, so thats the way its going to be.

DaveL 20 23:30
Jackie 18 27:18

Edited by DaveL 2015-05-27 8:33 PM

(photo.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo.JPG (141KB - 3 downloads)
2015-05-27 8:31 PM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by JoePetto

Hey all!!!

Been absent for a variety of reasons, but as they relate to training, it is because I'm injured again.

Im sure it was tough to type that out Joe, injuries suck and unfortunately take time to heal. Stay active through different activities but give your body some time to repair. I am sure you will be back stronger than ever soon.

Dave
2015-05-28 12:05 AM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Jackie 24 39:21

Joe, I'm really sorry to hear that. It's a tough decision, but I feel it's the right one. Healthy first, competing second. Please stick around because you have so much valuable experience to share with us.
2015-05-28 6:58 AM

User image

Expert

Hey all!!!

Been absent for a variety of reasons, but as they relate to training, it is because I'm injured again. For those of you with a long enough memory, I have been plagued with injuries for many years. Tore my meniscus my first season training, surgery in March and raced in June. I have battled bursitis in my knees and shoulder, piriformis strains, heel spurs, Achilles injuries and constant neck pain. I ran my 10 miler on May 1st in decent enough time (goal was 1:10 and ran 1:11 with a port a potty stop at mile 4). Something though was wrong and I experienced some nasty heel pain. Fast forward 3 weeks and I have plantars fasciitis and got a cortisone shot today for inflamed bursar sac near the fascia.

That said, I have been lying to myself for he last 12 months and my high hamstring strain sprain has never healed correctly and I have been living and training with mild pain. I am scheduling an ultrasound cortisone shot to address it and hopefully it will work. With all of these injuries, I have come to the decision that I need to readjust my priorities and get healthy once and for all. Step 1 is to fix what's broke, step 2 is to fix the conditions which are causing these repetitive injuries and on a related note, step 3 is to gain greater flexibility and improve my core.

While not a step unto itself a key component of my rehab is to find what in endurance training and racing is truly meaningful to me. I have come to realize that what drew me to this lifestyle was all positive, but over the years my training has become too much about "striving" in an unhealthy manner. At first, the challenge of whether I could do it sustained me, but, as of late, my relationship with training has become self abusive. Rather than focusing on the journey, the dialogue with myself has been more about my imadequacies - if only ... I was a better swimmer, had more time to train, etc. Some of this is undoubtedly coming to terms with the fact that getting faster after 45 becomes much more difficult, but when the training becomes too stressful it is time to reevaluate.

I feel very good about this decision and my respite. I have been on a bit of internal journey over the last year and have become much more connected with myself through a very consistent meditation practice and study of Buddhist traditions. The practice has enabled me to gain better perspective and understanding of the way things truly are - not sure I have any great answers, but I am much better able to identify unhealthy thoughts and emotions.

I have thought about this post for a while and came to the decision that I am not intending to bid farewell to the group as the support I have received over the years from many of you has been so wonderful and I want to keep up with everyone's journeys. I don't plan to drop out of sight altogether. I will be lurking and periodically checking in to pass along encouragement.

May you all be well.

Joe

Joe- Keep in touch, but get healthy first. Please know I have enjoyed your companionship and support in this group. Plus, being "sisters under the skin" it is nice to have someone around that knows that delicate balance between training, family and a career that in many ways acts like a jealous mistress.
I am glad you are doing what is best for you. It is tough to set aside something you love because it is doing more damage than good.

Edited by JBacarella 2015-05-28 6:59 AM

2015-05-28 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Originally posted by JBacarella

Hey all!!!

May you all be well.

Joe

Joe- Keep in touch, but get healthy first. Please know I have enjoyed your companionship and support in this group. Plus, being "sisters under the skin" it is nice to have someone around that knows that delicate balance between training, family and a career that in many ways acts like a jealous mistress.
I am glad you are doing what is best for you. It is tough to set aside something you love because it is doing more damage than good.

Joe - I echo the comments above and by the rest of the team. I think we all struggle with the balance between sport/training and life. I am confident your decision is well thought out and that you will be better all around as you heal and figure out your next step.

Jim - which is the Jealous Mistress...family, work or triathlon?
2015-05-28 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by trisuppo

Originally posted by JBacarella

Hey all!!!

May you all be well.

Joe

Joe - I echo the comments above and by the rest of the team. I think we all struggle with the balance between sport/training and life. I am confident your decision is well thought out and that you will be better all around as you heal and figure out your next step.

Jim - which is the Jealous Mistress...family, work or triathlon?

I would just say yes, but my wife takes a very strong stand on her position. The traditional saying is "the law is like a jealous mistress", but triathlon certainly isn't shy about making demands either.
2015-05-28 11:29 AM

User image

Hey everyone. I haven't written in over a month, but I've been checking in to see (and get inspired by) everyone's progress. I've been training, but my workouts have been falling just under 30 minutes to fit in with my day - so I stopped tallying. This is such a solid group, I love it, keep up the good work everyone.
2015-05-28 12:08 PM

User image

Master
By the time I was able to think about swimming last night it was after 9pm. I was ready to bag it, shower and curl up in bed. Wife drops the..."I'm going on the treadmill for an hour....but you don't have to swim if you don't want to........but you know you'll feel better about yourself if you do." That was enough to motivate me. Didn't swim as long as I wanted due to cramps in calves, but still good to get to the pool. Rode on the trainer at lunch today as well.

Mitch 25 29:53

Edited by trisuppo 2015-05-28 12:11 PM
2015-05-28 2:53 PM

User image

Back from Cancun. I managed to run twice for 6 miles each this week. I'm hoping that it didn't totally mess me up for my race next weekend. But even if it did it's so much more important to me to enjoy myself for the 1 week.

Beth 16 20:30

The whole time out the only real news we saw had the great flood in Texas. It's never good when CNN international won't hush up about your area when you aren't home.

Hey Dennis, how's your water levels? Did you build a real pirate ship yet?

2015-05-28 5:28 PM
in reply to: Sillygal

User image

, Massachusetts
Adding tonight's run (44:18)

Dave C. 17 16:54

2015-05-28 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

30 min lunch swim and a little bit of bike maintenance before my bike commute tomorrow.

DaveL 21 24:00

Edited by DaveL 2015-05-28 7:35 PM
2015-05-28 9:44 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Jackie 25 40:51

Heavy training for me right now. Signed up for Buffalo Springs 70.3 at the end of June.
2015-05-29 3:42 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Joe, thank you for this honest insight. I too echo all the comments above and wish you find your happy place, wherever it is. This whole balance concept to me is funny when it comes to this sport, I see it more like just juggling without dropping any of the balls... In any case, almost a circus act.

2hr trail run today, then I went on a kayak for an hour, but that doesn't count here.

MarkZ 14 21:40

Edited by markz 2015-05-29 3:45 AM
2015-05-29 8:11 AM
in reply to: markz

User image

Expert
43:58 on the bike yesterday. I am riding my old road bike. 1989 Raleigh Technium until my new tire comes in. The old school aluminum bike is a beast to ride. It felt like I was carrying an extra 25 lbs on my ride. Last night I saw daughter #2's last soccer game and last High School sporting event, so I'm feeling a little nostalgic.

Jim 24 22:25:48

2015-05-29 8:18 AM
in reply to: Sillygal

User image

Conroe, Texas
Originally posted by Sillygal

Back from Cancun. I managed to run twice for 6 miles each this week. I'm hoping that it didn't totally mess me up for my race next weekend. But even if it did it's so much more important to me to enjoy myself for the 1 week.

The whole time out the only real news we saw had the great flood in Texas. It's never good when CNN international won't hush up about your area when you aren't home.

Hey Dennis, how's your water levels? Did you build a real pirate ship yet?

VERY HIGH!! Thank you for asking! The picture below is the lot next to my house and the car is my teenage sons. The water level actually went down several inches before I took the picture. My sons car had a few inches of water on the inside. Good thing is that the brown building to the left is where I keep my boat. If it gets much higher we can just jump in the boat!

(IMG_2768 copy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_2768 copy.jpg (185KB - 4 downloads)
2015-05-29 10:41 AM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

, Massachusetts
Joe,
Like everyone else I wish you all the best as you find the right path for yourself moving forward. I don't have any great wisdom or insight to offer, but the birth of my first daughter a few months ago really put things in perspective for me and helped me understand the importance of balance in all things. I think as athletes (and triathletes in particular) we tend to be alpha-types who thrive on competition, but I have to constantly remind myself that this is just a hobby and shouldn't take away from the other (arguably much more important) parts of my life. Good for you for having the courage and wisdom to take a step back and re-evaluate. I've enjoyed and appreciated your advice and contributions in the short time I've been here - don't be a stranger!
2015-05-29 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
50:24 runch

Jim 25 23:16:12
2015-05-29 6:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
commuted into work by bike - 5hrs 45min

DaveL 22 29:45
2015-05-29 8:28 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
1 mile in the pool this afternoon.

Mitch 26 30:34

2015-05-29 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
Adding in this morning's bike commute.

Jim 25 23:28:26
2015-05-30 7:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
adding a 55min treadmill run

DaveL 23 30:40

Edited by DaveL 2015-05-30 7:24 PM
2015-05-30 7:59 PM

User image

Conroe, Texas
Adding 2 hour bike ride from this morning.

Dennis 23 27:50

Edited by sawyer1206 2015-05-30 8:02 PM
2015-05-31 10:16 AM
in reply to: sawyer1206

User image

Master
Ran and cycled yesterday. Up late at a concert. Then back on the bike this morning.

Mitch 28 33:04
Dennis 23 27:50
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Consistency Equals Success - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46263 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166

Started by Qua17
Views: 84566 Posts: 4130

2015-12-31 9:16 PM bgreen6252

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54329 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : October 20, 2008
author : EnduRight
Training is often a lonely proposition and sometimes we are our own worst enemies. Finding good training partners can provide you with that extra external motivation to bring out your best.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Your training plan is a guide but you don’t blindly follow it. You shouldn’t know exactly what you are going to do until the day you are to do it.