BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2015-01-05 9:48 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)
Today's workout was one of those where it would be easy to quit early and it sucks that the coach made me stay and it is because of that that I love my coaches. I had masters swim tonight after a grueling masters yesterday am. I have a bad shoulder that was already tired and sore tonight … I wanted to leave, but instead the coach made me kick the rest of the workout. It sucked, but she cares and in the end it will make me better and improve my mental toughness!!!

2015-01-05 10:25 PM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Extreme Veteran

Way to tough it out, Carrie.

Jim, 63F and sunny here tomorrow. We just got through our "cold snap" of the year... it dropped below freezing for a few nights there. 

2015-01-06 9:30 AM
in reply to: ramiedd

User image

New user

Miami
Hey Guys, quick question. When I am swimming, should I pause my watch after each set? What I do now is just swim for say 50 minutes. When I am done and log the yardage it reports a per 100 yard split. This split is not accurate because I rest between set for 20 to 30 seconds. I guess I could just keep my rest periods uniform and then subtract the time at the end. How do you old pros do it?
2015-01-06 9:42 AM
in reply to: angelo314

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by angelo314 Hey Guys, quick question. When I am swimming, should I pause my watch after each set? What I do now is just swim for say 50 minutes. When I am done and log the yardage it reports a per 100 yard split. This split is not accurate because I rest between set for 20 to 30 seconds. I guess I could just keep my rest periods uniform and then subtract the time at the end. How do you old pros do it?

I'll be curious to hear what the swimmers say, but I use my (very approximate) time in the pool as the workout duration. If I had a watch that recorded my average split time, I'd record it as the pace or in the workout notes to see how it's progressing over the season. 

2015-01-06 10:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by angelo314 Hey Guys, quick question. When I am swimming, should I pause my watch after each set? What I do now is just swim for say 50 minutes. When I am done and log the yardage it reports a per 100 yard split. This split is not accurate because I rest between set for 20 to 30 seconds. I guess I could just keep my rest periods uniform and then subtract the time at the end. How do you old pros do it?

Don't worry about trying to subtract rest periods.  You are not really "resting" anyway ...you are recovering from a set and its part of the workout.  You will be able to measure progress in the long term by how fast you can perform given sets and periodic swim tests at a certain distance (e.g. 500 and 1000 yd swim tests).  Keeping track of avg speed for workouts (time per 100) will be misleading because workouts will vary in their intended purpose. 

Edited by Birkierunner 2015-01-06 10:03 AM
2015-01-06 10:24 AM

User image

Expert

Hi everyone!  I'm back in town after our week in Upstate NY- getting back into training but it's a really busy week so I'm not being too hard on myself.  I did get on the trainer last night.  My goal for January is to fix my hamstring/glute whatever it is, so I made an appointment with the chiropractor (who does ART) for tomorrow- hopefully she can help me get back on track.

2015-01-06 5:48 PM

User image

New user

Miami
Thanks Jim. That is what I was leaning towards. I just wanted to see what others did. Triathlon has so many methods, and cultural norms and inside tips etc.
2015-01-06 7:47 PM
in reply to: neweyes

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I never record time anymore unless we have specific timed sets. No point really. I would focus on the workout and do whatever rest intervals you need and don't worry about the splits BT gives you. If you have some timed stuff, then do it, but otherwise don't bother. If you want to know how you are doing, set some specific swim for timed stuff or sign up for a swim meet. Doing any drills or kick sets are going to throw those splits off anyhow.
2015-01-07 6:54 AM
in reply to: momandmd

User image

Pro

Originally posted by momandmd

Hi everyone!  I'm back in town after our week in Upstate NY- getting back into training but it's a really busy week so I'm not being too hard on myself.  I did get on the trainer last night.  My goal for January is to fix my hamstring/glute whatever it is, so I made an appointment with the chiropractor (who does ART) for tomorrow- hopefully she can help me get back on track.

Good luck with the hamstring.  I have a right hamstring that has some chronic tightness that I need to address myself.

2015-01-07 7:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Crazy cold here in Virginia so in door workouts are the way to go. 50 minutes on the trainer and cool down with a 10 minute run on the treadmill. Running is for sure my weakness so I plan on ending all of my bike workouts with an easy 10 minute run.

Because of my schedule, I have to do most of my week day workouts after 8 PM after my kids go to bed. The one thing I struggle with is that I am so pumped that I can't fall asleep till late. Anyone have advise as to how to relax the body after a night workout....
2015-01-07 8:00 AM
in reply to: ramiedd

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Start getting up at 4-5am to do the workouts? That is what I have started since I am working so many hrs I find alot of times can't get some workouts in during the day.

2015-01-07 8:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Hello all, if there's still room I'd like to join as well.

Name: Thomas

Story: I am a 29 year old Dutchie writing his Master thesis in Groningen, The Netherlands. I found this site a couple of years ago when I dabbled into triathlon, only completing a sprint. During my undergraduate years I rowed competitively (I guess you could compare it to Varsity) and my highlights were going to Boston for the Head of the Charles and to Henley in the UK for the Royal Regatta held there. Now I am intent on finishing my studies, but also to keep active. Running injuries have meant my last two years have been mostly bike-focused. However, the last couple of months I have trained at lower intensity and more frequency, and I have been healthy! So I signed up for an Ironman, because that's the normal course of action for when you've only just completed one sprint tri right? Cycling is my definite strong suit mainly because a lot of rowing fitness carried over into cycling and my ability to keep doing it when I was injured. Running I've got a pretty good handle on and swimming is a big work in progress.

Family Status: In a relationship with the love of my life who lives in Switzerland.

Current training: As this season has been mostly biking I have slowly built up the running since August and the swimming since November. I now do 5 runs and 3 swims a week, and am looking to pick up biking again (will be mostly indoor weather/light permitting). Mileage wise I'm looking to be around 50km (~30mi?) and about 8000m swimming, building toward 10k.

This year's races:
Egmond Half Marathon (1:38, PR even with a beach and dune course)
Local TT
Speedman Groningen (As part of a relay, I biked)
Alpenbrevet, Meiringen Switzerland (more of a fondo but hard nonetheless, around 110 miles and about 17500 feet climbing)

2015 schedule so far:
8 February - Local 10k
8 March - City-Pier-City Loop Half Marathon
9 May - Bosbaan Triathlon (sprint)
31 May - Triathlon Nieuwkoop (half)
19 July - Ironman Zurich
23 August - Triathlon Klazienaveen (half)

I am looking to do an open water "race" between Nieuwkoop and Zurich but have so far found limited races that have a decently sized wetsuit category based on last year's results so I might do a tri-relay and do the swim leg of an Oly or something if I can convince some of my mates to join in in the other disciplines.

Weightloss: Definitely shed a few lbs from my current winter weight but not a real motivator for exercise.

What will make me a good mentee: I am mostly self coached so I frequent lots of the online communities. As such I probably think I know a lot but probably don't At least I read alot about tri stuff haha. I'd like to learn from others and their journey, as well as maybe letting others learn from me (if nothing else then from my mistakes). As this will be my first full distance theres always this lingering anxiety of "did i really sign up for this??" Perhaps by combining forces it will not seem so daunting. I have my ideas about training, and I'm looking forward to sharing them and having them challenged/discussed/debunked. I do not have much technical training but it does always interest me, I just got a powermeter so am nerding out a bit over that.

Edited by Snaaijer 2015-01-07 8:56 AM
2015-01-07 10:35 AM

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Hopefully I'm not too late to the party but here's my story:

NAME: Dan Lanzo - lanzodt

STORY: I am a 25 year old Developmental Engineer in the Air Force. I ran XC and track in high school and got into triathlons in my college years. I have only raced Sprints and Olympic distance races for ~3 non-consecutive seasons. I recently deployed so that ruined my 2014 season but decided I wanted to do an IM, and well, I signed up for one at the end of this season. I have never had a coach, been part of an actual team, or had any swimming analysis so I would still call myself a beginner. I read Don Fink's book and am planning on following his 30-week competitive IM plan.

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married for 3 years to my high school sweetheart and we are expecting a new addition to the family this April. (Yes, I know my life will be a bit hectic with a newborn and trying to fit in 20 hr training weeks but my wife is on-board and I've already registered :-P

CURRENT TRAINING: I have the 2015 season pretty much locked down on training and plan on solidifying my base before starting the 30-week plan starts in March.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
None

2015 RACES:
Miami University Student Foundation Sprint - Spring '15
Some HIM - Last weekend in July
IMLOU - Oct 11, 2015
** Still need to make some race decisions because I want to have 2x Oly and 1x HIM before race day.

WEIGHTLOSS:
I am trying to lose 25 lbs before IMLOU. I'm 5'11" and currently weigh in at 196 lbs so I have some extra weight I could/need to lose before IMLOU.
2015-01-07 12:01 PM
in reply to: lanzodt

User image

Looking for opinions;

I currently ride a Cannondale SuperSix...I am training to do 1 Oly and 1 HIM triathlon this summer...what are the thoughts of adding aero-clip-ons vs buying a tri-bike...ideally I would love to have a road and tri, however, that is not a possibility...your thoughts?

I have been cycling on my indoor trainer for the last two months but due to weather, I have not run very much...I will start the BT HIM Program in mid-February...until then, would it be best to reduce my cycling to 2 workouts per week and run 4 times or balance at 3 each? I will be in the pool 3 times per week starting next week but only for a short time in an effort to increase swim fitness and to get the swim muscles adjusted.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
2015-01-07 12:59 PM
in reply to: kevinbourque

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Originally posted by kevinbourque

Looking for opinions;

I currently ride a Cannondale SuperSix...I am training to do 1 Oly and 1 HIM triathlon this summer...what are the thoughts of adding aero-clip-ons vs buying a tri-bike...ideally I would love to have a road and tri, however, that is not a possibility...your thoughts?

I have been cycling on my indoor trainer for the last two months but due to weather, I have not run very much...I will start the BT HIM Program in mid-February...until then, would it be best to reduce my cycling to 2 workouts per week and run 4 times or balance at 3 each? I will be in the pool 3 times per week starting next week but only for a short time in an effort to increase swim fitness and to get the swim muscles adjusted.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Not to hi-jack but speaking of adding aero bars to a road bike, how much of an impact will they make for longer races? Is it a time consideration or physical (easier on the body to finish the bike portion) consideration? I have no intentions of buying a tri bike but have thought about clip-on aero bars...
2015-01-07 1:38 PM

User image

Pahrump, Nevada
Quick question:

What is the best way to compensate for not being able to swim consistently for much of the year. There are no lap pools in my town that are open between 10/31 and 5/1. I have to drive 60 miles each way to swim during that time - and I can't do that too often! I know there is no miracle exercise to take the place of swimming, but I'm hoping for some insight into how best to mitigate the negative effect of not being able to get in the water.

Thanks,

Bill

2015-01-07 1:50 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lanzodt Hopefully I'm not too late to the party but here's my story: NAME: Dan Lanzo - lanzodt STORY: I am a 25 year old Developmental Engineer in the Air Force. I ran XC and track in high school and got into triathlons in my college years. I have only raced Sprints and Olympic distance races for ~3 non-consecutive seasons. I recently deployed so that ruined my 2014 season but decided I wanted to do an IM, and well, I signed up for one at the end of this season. I have never had a coach, been part of an actual team, or had any swimming analysis so I would still call myself a beginner. I read Don Fink's book and am planning on following his 30-week competitive IM plan. FAMILY STATUS: I have been married for 3 years to my high school sweetheart and we are expecting a new addition to the family this April. (Yes, I know my life will be a bit hectic with a newborn and trying to fit in 20 hr training weeks but my wife is on-board and I've already registered :-P CURRENT TRAINING: I have the 2015 season pretty much locked down on training and plan on solidifying my base before starting the 30-week plan starts in March. THIS YEAR'S RACES: None 2015 RACES: Miami University Student Foundation Sprint - Spring '15 Some HIM - Last weekend in July IMLOU - Oct 11, 2015 ** Still need to make some race decisions because I want to have 2x Oly and 1x HIM before race day. WEIGHTLOSS: I am trying to lose 25 lbs before IMLOU. I'm 5'11" and currently weigh in at 196 lbs so I have some extra weight I could/need to lose before IMLOU.

Welcome to the group Dan.  You're going to be a busy man   Hopefully our group can help you with time management

2015-01-07 1:59 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lanzodt
Originally posted by kevinbourque Looking for opinions; I currently ride a Cannondale SuperSix...I am training to do 1 Oly and 1 HIM triathlon this summer...what are the thoughts of adding aero-clip-ons vs buying a tri-bike...ideally I would love to have a road and tri, however, that is not a possibility...your thoughts? I have been cycling on my indoor trainer for the last two months but due to weather, I have not run very much...I will start the BT HIM Program in mid-February...until then, would it be best to reduce my cycling to 2 workouts per week and run 4 times or balance at 3 each? I will be in the pool 3 times per week starting next week but only for a short time in an effort to increase swim fitness and to get the swim muscles adjusted. Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Not to hi-jack but speaking of adding aero bars to a road bike, how much of an impact will they make for longer races? Is it a time consideration or physical (easier on the body to finish the bike portion) consideration? I have no intentions of buying a tri bike but have thought about clip-on aero bars...

I'll address both of these at once.  I'll start off by saying I did my first 2 Ironmans with my Trek 2300 road bike with clip-on aerobars. That is a perfectly acceptable alternative to buying a new tri bike if you are limited to one.  I would highly recommend the clip-ons if you are limited to a road bike.

A road bike with clip-ons will have a definite aero advantage over a road bike without them.  Plus, assuming you fit them correctly, using the aerobars will allow you support your body more comfortably and with less work than sitting up or using the drops on road bike handlebars for extended periods of time.  This will allow you to spend less energy getting through the bike portion of the race.

As for reducing the cycling workouts to 2/week I would not recommend that.  Instead I would try to get 3 bike and 3 run workouts/week and if possible increase that to 4 runs per week (even if it means shorter but more frequent runs).

2015-01-07 2:03 PM
in reply to: fshcm

User image

Pro

Originally posted by fshcm Quick question: What is the best way to compensate for not being able to swim consistently for much of the year. There are no lap pools in my town that are open between 10/31 and 5/1. I have to drive 60 miles each way to swim during that time - and I can't do that too often! I know there is no miracle exercise to take the place of swimming, but I'm hoping for some insight into how best to mitigate the negative effect of not being able to get in the water. Thanks, Bill

Bill, that's a tough situation to be in.  The only bright side to this is that you can spend more time building bike (especially) and run fitness during the period you are without pool access.  You can however work on addressing swim strength using stretch chord exercises designed for swimming.  The other high-end alternative is to get a Vasa swim trainer.

2015-01-07 4:28 PM

User image

Thanks a lot for the advice...when fitting for aerobars, would you go as far as setting with the exact positions as with a tri bike? In other words, the tri bike's seat is normally quite far forward which require a different seat post for the road bike...where can I find good exercises for lower back flexibility to assist with the type of position?

2015-01-07 8:46 PM
in reply to: kevinbourque

User image

Pro

Originally posted by kevinbourque Thanks a lot for the advice...when fitting for aerobars, would you go as far as setting with the exact positions as with a tri bike? In other words, the tri bike's seat is normally quite far forward which require a different seat post for the road bike...where can I find good exercises for lower back flexibility to assist with the type of position?

When I converted my road bike to a "tri bike" I went to our local tri shop to have them help me out.  If you aren't going to spend the money on a new tri bike I think it would be worth the money to pay for a bike fit at a tri shop and have them help you convert it.  They ended up putting a shorter handlebar stem on and also rotating my seat post/mount so that it put the seat forward...i.e. no need for a new seat post.  It's hard to give specific advice here on what would be needed to get your specific road bike to have a more tri-specific geometry.  Here's a good article on the differences between tri and road bike geometry.

2015-01-08 7:43 AM

User image

Veteran
The first triathlon I did, I used a road frame I had and put aero bars, but did not get fitted very well. what ended up happening was that I was too stretched on the aero position. The result was my hamstrings locked up during the run bad due to the position on the bike. So I definitely recommend a fit.
2015-01-08 4:24 PM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

New user

Miami
Yeah Carrie, I agree. I get up at 4:00 AM to do most of my training. If not, it would not get done. I supervise a Homicide Unit that always has different hours. I have two small children and a wife and I am back in school so I am doing homework at night.
2015-01-08 6:12 PM
in reply to: angelo314

User image

Agreeing with you guys...although it is tough to get up that early in the morning...once the workout is done, you can get on with your day and we are not worried about not getting our workout in...I have a beautiful wife and 4 beautiful daughters, 3 of which are very active in competitive dance and soccer (plus I coach soccer) so if I am not up in the early morning to workout out, no workout for me that day...the other thing with getting up that early though is making sure that we are getting enough rest/sleep...needless to say, we are training hard and often so nutrition and sleep are crucial...
2015-01-08 8:41 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Agree with Jim. As long as you have good technique, you should be fine, just maybe not fast without the swimming. Vasa does have a swim trainer and I have always wanted to try it, but not cheap. I would spend time regularly with working with weights/bands strengthening your upper body and back. Don't worry so much about building much (short reps, high weight), do more reps with less weight. Get your arms/shoulders/back used to many, many reps
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 19

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46052 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166

Started by Qua17
Views: 84289 Posts: 4130

2015-12-31 9:16 PM bgreen6252

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54091 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31