BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-12-18 6:32 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

WELCOME to the Mad Manatees (season #9 I believe)! We are all mentors and mentees, which sounds like manatees--hence our name.

All experience levels and goals welcome. We have not-yet-triathletes, single-sport enthusiasts, multiple-iron finishers, folks at the highest levels of endurance sport, and everyone in between. Our training philosophies, gear, and methods are similarly varied.

We are very committed to health and to each other--physical, social, mental, spiritual, nutritional, et al. We are an extremely supportive and very active group. Please check in (even to admit you're procrastinating or overwhelmed) and be passionate about health through sport. Keeping up your training log here on BT and opening it to other group members is mandatory. (If you don't know how, we'll help you set up). We know how BT works and how to guide you through its wealth of resources.

AS ALWAYS, ALL FORMER MANATEES ARE WELCOME AT ANY TIME.

TO JOIN, PLEASE REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE (include or later add bio ASAP).

Bio: whatever you want from format below and/or whatever you want us to know.

We believe the journey is the reward, and look forward to having you as a fellow traveler. 

NAME: What you're actually called.
STORY: Who you are, why you want to do endurance/multisport, any athletic background/none
FAMILY STATUS: Family situation (single/partnered/family/pets)
CURRENT TRAINING: If/how you have been training so far
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: If any
BODY COMPOSITION: any reshaping achievements or goals (weight reduction or otherwise)

Edited by IndoIronYanti 2014-12-29 7:37 PM

2014-12-22 1:28 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors - OPEN to all kinds!

Yay, a brand new season and a sparkling fresh thread!

I was an active kid who split time between music and sports.  I was in track in junior high and high school doing the mile and 4x400m relay.  Music became more important so I spent more time and effort on that and the sports fell to the wayside.  I rode my bike, skied, and hiked a lot but didn't do anything competitive other than a couple years of rec league floor hockey.  I took swimming lessons in 2003; before that I loved playing in the water but didn't really know how to swim.  In 2006, I saw DH do a triathlon and decided I wanted to do one too.  Life intervened and I didn't have time to train until 2011.  Ten days into my tri training, I hurt my back (probably herniated a couple disks).  That led to 2.5 years of pretty bad constant back pain, 2 hip surgeries, and being told in Jan. 2014 that I needed a spinal fusion.  At that point, I was ready to do anything to stop the pain and came thisclose to having the surgery.  Luckily I found a chiropractor later that month who helped me get my life back.  I was able to start training 3 days a week in March and 6 days a week in April.  Since then, I've joined the Manatees, done my first 2 sprint triathlons, numerous 5k's and my 1st 10k.  Now I'm training for my 1st half marathon (March), plan to do 2 sprint tri's (June, Sept.) and an Olympic tri (August), plus some running races sprinkled in for fun/training.  For my 50th birthday in 2019, I'm planning to do the half-Ironman in St. Croix.  It's been a heck of a journey to get here, but I'm finally the athlete I've wanted to be since I was a kid and am loving it!!

My wonderful DH doesn't do tris anymore because he hates to swim.  Now he's a super-sherpa and a great source of information.  He also tolerates me talking day in and day out about what training I'm doing, how it's going, what races I want to do, and the rest of my tri- and non-tri-related blather.  Good thing he's a good listener!!  I also have 2 border collies and a cat who all make me laugh every day.

I try to contribute humor, compassion, enthusiasm (I tend to use a plethora of exclamation points) and support to this group of wonderful Manatees and get much of the same in return, plus the wisdom of more experienced athletes.  I even get the occasional kick in the rear that I sometimes need.  What more could a person ask for?

2014-12-24 2:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I want in if the group would have me.  

NAME: Matt
STORY: 

I ran track and played football in high school and got really out of shape in college (5'7 and 190lbs).  After I started working I started training for a half marathon.  I lost about 10 lbs after 6 months of running and was frustrated in how slow I was losing weight.  During my half training I heard about this local triathlon that was a half mile swim, 40k bike, and 10k run.  The format sounded crazy to me, but I said out loud "one day I'm going to do that race!".  

After finishing a beginner tri training group program put on by a local running store I went on to finish the tri that got me interested and got hooked.  I have raced 5 seasons of triathlon and have gone from hoping to finish races to competing in my age group to shooting for overall podiums.  

Now that I finished my 5th season I've been looking for something different, so I've been in the process of converting to road racing.  I'm looking forward to seeing how my first season with that goes!

FAMILY STATUS:  I'm engaged and will be married in April.  My fiance has a two year old boy, so another reason I'm converting to road racing is due to having to cut back on training time a good bit. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm riding my bike A LOT!  I also have picked up mountain biking some to keep things fresh, which is a lot of fun!

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:   There is a TT/Crit in February that will be my debut in the road racing world.  Rouge Roubaix in March will be my first big race.  It's a 106 mile road race featuring terrible roads, lots of hills, and gravel!

BODY COMPOSITION:  I'm relatively happy with my body composition, but you can always be leaner, right?

2014-12-24 10:29 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by msteiner

I want in if the group would have me.  

NAME: Matt
STORY: 

I ran track and played football in high school and got really out of shape in college (5'7 and 190lbs).  After I started working I started training for a half marathon.  I lost about 10 lbs after 6 months of running and was frustrated in how slow I was losing weight.  During my half training I heard about this local triathlon that was a half mile swim, 40k bike, and 10k run.  The format sounded crazy to me, but I said out loud "one day I'm going to do that race!".  

After finishing a beginner tri training group program put on by a local running store I went on to finish the tri that got me interested and got hooked.  I have raced 5 seasons of triathlon and have gone from hoping to finish races to competing in my age group to shooting for overall podiums.  

Now that I finished my 5th season I've been looking for something different, so I've been in the process of converting to road racing.  I'm looking forward to seeing how my first season with that goes!

FAMILY STATUS:  I'm engaged and will be married in April.  My fiance has a two year old boy, so another reason I'm converting to road racing is due to having to cut back on training time a good bit. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm riding my bike A LOT!  I also have picked up mountain biking some to keep things fresh, which is a lot of fun!

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:   There is a TT/Crit in February that will be my debut in the road racing world.  Rouge Roubaix in March will be my first big race.  It's a 106 mile road race featuring terrible roads, lots of hills, and gravel!

BODY COMPOSITION:  I'm relatively happy with my body composition, but you can always be leaner, right?

Matt, you are an amazing person and absolute joy. Welcome to the Manatees. Congrats on the engagement and upcoming nuptials!

2014-12-25 10:47 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

NAME: Your jmkizer / Janyne
(that's pronounced like Janeane Garofalo's first name)

STORY: I'm 47, married with one dog, Emma. We live near Raleigh, NC. I've lived in the Raleigh area since 1990. Before that I lived, in order of appearance, in Newfoundland; Milwaukee; Wappingers Falls, NY; Waterloo, IA; Ramsey, NJ; and Shippensburg, PA. I ran cross country in high school and college and then "took a break." You know, got married, stopped paying attention to my weight, etc. Then someone gave me a picture of me and my dog. I looked at it and tried to identify that fat person with my beautiful puppy! No way! Started riding bikes. Stopped eating junk. Started riding bikes a lot. Decided to run some. Joined a gym with a pool and decided that I should swim too… Now I'm looking forward to my fourth iron distance event!

FAMILY STATUS: Married with one dog.

CURRENT TRAINING: Recovering from shoulder surgery and starting a run focused block of training. I was just released to swim within this weeks. I was released to ride the trainer first, then to run outside and recently to ride outside.

Also, I recently aquired a TRX (Craigslist!). I have used one before. My masters swim group used to do some core work with them for our dry land work. I'm still getting the hang (ha! see what I did there?) of using it at home. My PT place has me doing some TRX in their facility and I am doing them at home as well.

2014 RACES/EVENTS:

Myrtle Beach Marathon
Rock 'n' Roll Raleigh
Tour de Cure bike ride
Washington Olympic
Lake Logan Half
Blue Ridge Breakaway ride
BikeMS (cut short by accident resulting in shoulder surgery)
(missed IM Chattanooga due to surgery)
Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas half marathon
Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8k

UPCOMING RACES/EVENTS

Myrtle Beach half marathon
Shamrock marathon
White Lake international distance tri
Full Vineman tri
BikeMS
Beach2Battleship half ironman

2014-12-25 11:09 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks for starting the thread Yanti!  Welcome back Mary!  Welcome Matt!

I'm looking forward to the next pod formation.  

I hope that everyone is having a happy holiday!

2014-12-25 11:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando
Name: Ann-Marie . Around here I'm also called Hands.Story: I have been active in sports my whole life, just not in swimming, biking or running . Actually, I used running as a necessary evil to stay in shape, but never considered myself a runner. In 2008, I decided to sign up with a marathon traing group and to run the Disney marathon. It was to be a one and done thing, but 6.5 years later I'm still running with the group. Only for the last few years I've focused on HMs not marathons. Because of injury, in 2014 I only did 1 sprint triathlon, but I did run quite a bit.Current training: as of today, I am 5 weeks post shoulder surgery. I'm using Janyne as my mentor for how to cope . I've recently been released to run, but no outside biking and no swimming. Planned races: I have 2 HMs set in the coming 2-3 months, but am sure to to run a number more. Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks I will nail them down. Right now I have no tris planned as until I can swim and bike I can't think about races!!Family status: single with a dog (Gunnar )Weight loss: since my injury in July I've gained 6 pounds. That may not seem like much, but I'm short, so it is. My plan is to take those 6 lbs off ASAP !!

ETA: sorry about the formatting. BT hates iPads !!

Edited by amd723 2014-12-25 11:22 AM

2014-12-25 11:57 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723 Name: Ann-Marie . Around here I'm also called Hands.Story: I have been active in sports my whole life, just not in swimming, biking or running . Actually, I used running as a necessary evil to stay in shape, but never considered myself a runner. In 2008, I decided to sign up with a marathon traing group and to run the Disney marathon. It was to be a one and done thing, but 6.5 years later I'm still running with the group. Only for the last few years I've focused on HMs not marathons. Because of injury, in 2014 I only did 1 sprint triathlon, but I did run quite a bit.Current training: as of today, I am 5 weeks post shoulder surgery. I'm using Janyne as my mentor for how to cope . I've recently been released to run, but no outside biking and no swimming. Planned races: I have 2 HMs set in the coming 2-3 months, but am sure to to run a number more. Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks I will nail them down. Right now I have no tris planned as until I can swim and bike I can't think about races!!Family status: single with a dog (Gunnar )Weight loss: since my injury in July I've gained 6 pounds. That may not seem like much, but I'm short, so it is. My plan is to take those 6 lbs off ASAP !!

Welcome back Hands!

(shoulder surgery recovery people, unite!)

2014-12-25 5:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

A new thread!  Maybe I can find it regularly now...  

Welcome Matt - gonna get confusing in here (or maybe just more so).

NAME: Matt 
STORY: Started back into tri a couple or so years back.  Digging it still.  Having trouble carving out as much time as last year, with a recent move and new job (and family - see below), but getting back into a routine.  The Better Half and I run together, but she's ditched the multisport thing the last year or two to focus more on running and other fitness.  It's actually kind of nice, though, as we both get what the other is doing and can participate together in run-only training and events.
FAMILY STATUS: Kim (The Better Half), three kids (2 swimmers, one of whom runs.  All musicians and one artistic.  Lots of fun stuff with the kiddos!) and two dogs (big, happy labs).  Most important part of my life.
CURRENT TRAINING: Good first half of 2014, where I also got my swim on (finally), and getting back at it in general the last month.  Will do a bit more run than s/b the next month and then back into balanced (for me) training.  Next year needs to be a bit more about the bike, which will be tough as routes here are eluding me!
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Austin 3M HM end of January.  ITU Long Course Worlds in Sweden end of June (if we can get there - fingers crossed).  Otherwise still thinking on what to fill the season with.
BODY COMPOSITION: meat

This pod... erm... group is the nutz.  I'll even throw in pop-tarts if I can stay!  

Matt

2014-12-25 5:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723 Name: Ann-Marie . Around here I'm also called Hands.Story: I have been active in sports my whole life, just not in swimming, biking or running . Actually, I used running as a necessary evil to stay in shape, but never considered myself a runner. In 2008, I decided to sign up with a marathon traing group and to run the Disney marathon. It was to be a one and done thing, but 6.5 years later I'm still running with the group. Only for the last few years I've focused on HMs not marathons. Because of injury, in 2014 I only did 1 sprint triathlon, but I did run quite a bit.Current training: as of today, I am 5 weeks post shoulder surgery. I'm using Janyne as my mentor for how to cope . I've recently been released to run, but no outside biking and no swimming. Planned races: I have 2 HMs set in the coming 2-3 months, but am sure to to run a number more. Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks I will nail them down. Right now I have no tris planned as until I can swim and bike I can't think about races!!Family status: single with a dog (Gunnar )Weight loss: since my injury in July I've gained 6 pounds. That may not seem like much, but I'm short, so it is. My plan is to take those 6 lbs off ASAP !!

Welcome back Hands!

Word... and welcome Hands and Janyne (and Yanti - although it seems odd to welcome the fount from which Manateeness springs, for propriety's sake I shall here do so!).

As for the shoulder - it'll come around and be better than before.  My cut shoulder is more functional than my "good" one!

Matt

2014-12-26 4:45 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Hi, I'm Yanti!

Growing up in Indonesia, I swam with national and high school teams. In the U.S., I was nationally ranked in badminton (yup, really), coached/competed/won in martial arts (both traditional and sport fighting) at the world level, but after an injury became sedentary and eventually morbidly obese. Fast forward … a student suckered me into doing a charity marathon—then I learned how to ride a bike and picked swimming back up! After 15 years in the States, I've been back in Indonesia for 5.5 years. Triathlon and endurance sports here have exploded in these years and it's been tremendous to be part of that as a competitor, coach, and organizer.

Family status: I'm 38, married to Kingsley Bugarin OAM (a world-class swimmer/parathlete/community service guy), have a black Lab smarter than I am and trains the other dog and cats to outsmart me, too. My Bali home is called the Funny Farm. My dad passed away last year so I spend a lot of time in Jakarta (capital, 1.5hr plane flight from Bali), helping my mom out (she has Alzheimer's) and holding the family business together. My third city of residence is Perth, with Kingsley (who also comes to Indonesia often).

Current training: Rehab and very light training as tolerated due to injuries sustained in a bike crash at Ironman Western Australia early December.

2015 Races:

January 26       Sorrento             5K ocean swim                Perth, AUSTRALIA

March 1            V Adventure       750m S/15km mtb/4km trail/2.5km paddle/8km run     
                                                   Fremantle, AUSTRALIA

April 12             Ironman Taiwan                                          Kenting, TAIWAN

April 19             Sungailiat Tri      500m S/20km B/5km R    Bangka, INDONESIA

May 10             Vietnam 70.3                                              Da Nang, VIETNAM

July 5                Bali Ocean         10K ocean swim               Bali, INDONESIA

August 2           Cebu 70.3                                                  Cebu, PHILIPPINES

August 24         Metaman Tri        1.2km S/55km B/7km R   Bintan, INDONESIA

September 20   Croatia 70.3                                                Pula, CROATIA

November 14    Ironman Malaysia                                        Langkawi, MALAYSIA

November 29    Coogee                 5K ocean swim               Perth, AUSTRALIA

December 13    Champion Lake     10K lake swim                Perth, AUSTRALIA

I’ll be adding some more short races as they come up.

Body Composition: At race weight I'm about 140lbs LESS than what I weighed at my highest (morbidly obese), but right now I'm a good 25lb over race weight as I'm slowly recovering from thyroid and post-viral issues.

Experience, Encouragement, Empathy, and Extreme Fun are what I offer you! I've done dozens of endurance races all over the world. I was a researcher, writer/editor, and headquarters trainer for a global fitness and sports company for several years, so I'm pretty keyed into sports physiology and endurance coaching. I have the dubious distinction of being BT's top poster, but I also read all the forum threads, BT news, articles, programs, lots of blogs, other endurance forums, books, news, and research. I hold 3 world and 2 Indonesian national records related to endurance sport* (note I didn’t say IN endurance sport events ). I’m in perpetual training to be a certified Open Water swim coach and race official—let’s hope I can finally finish that up this year!

* 1. Largest number of Elvises (Elvi?) running in a single marathon
  2. Fastest (first/only) female to swim from Gili Air island to the Lombok mainland
  3. Along with Kingsley, first people to get married on an Ironman triathlon course

1. First and fastest female Ironman in Indonesia
  2. Fastest Indonesian Ironman swim (male or female)

Edited by IndoIronYanti 2014-12-26 4:55 AM

2014-12-26 7:01 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Once a Manatee always a Manatee.

At work, will fill in bio later. Ya'll know me anyway.

2014-12-26 8:10 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Welcome back Hands!

Word... and welcome Hands and Janyne (and Yanti - although it seems odd to welcome the fount from which Manateeness springs, for propriety's sake I shall here do so!).

As for the shoulder - it'll come around and be better than before.  My cut shoulder is more functional than my "good" one!

Matt

Thanks for the welcome Matt ( he he). And welcome new Matt!

I didn't know you were part of the cut shoulder brigade, but I'm happy to hear that there is hope for such a good recovery!

2014-12-26 9:01 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hello, I'm back!

NAME: Melanie
STORY: I am a 41 year old female who enjoys being outside and active despite my body's periodic rebellion against such activities. I got into triathlon after befriending a woman at my new (at the time) job who regularly raced. I became hooked on this multifaceted multisport and have just finished my 5th season of triathlon. I also am an ice hockey goalie, a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and enjoy kayaking/general outdoorsy activities.

As a kid I was always active (a total tomboy playing football/baseball, climbing trees, building forts with the neighbor boys), swimming (for fun, not competitively), playing softball and volleyball in rec leagues which took a small lull in my early 20s until I discovered the joy of inline skating and eventually learned how to ice skate at age 23. From there I played inline hockey with friends and eventually made the move to ice hockey at age 27. Played as a wing in a whopping 1 game before my best friend talked me into being the goalie and I fell in love with the position and the rest is history.

I ran frequently in the mid-late 90s until I developed femoral tendonitis and put the sport aside until my interest in triathlon bloomed. Got back into the love of biking in 2004 when a friend I worked with got me hooked on mountain biking which for me morphed into the desire to add a road bike to my stable which led to participating in fundraising rides and the rest of that is history, too!

FAMILY STATUS: Married for forever and have 2 fun, funny dogs who always make me laugh and smile

CURRENT TRAINING: Excited and a bit nervous about training for my first 70.3, Syracuse, in June.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Possibly some 5Ks over the winter, then my 3rd and hopefully most successful half marathon in April.  May will kick off triathlon season with a local sprint, Got the Nerve.  Syracuse 70.3 in June.  Planning on a 5K swimming event in July, and some other sprint tris sprinkled wherever they fit into the scheme of things, as well as 5Ks.

BODY COMPOSITION: definitely want/need to dump some plump - as of today I am 178-ish (didn't weigh myself this week) on a 5'10" frame and would like to get down to 160 or 155, ideally. I am currently an 'Athena' at this weight and really woudn't mind not being one by getting below 165. Weight is a constant battle for me. I want/need to regain some overall strength especially in my arms/upper body.

2014-12-26 2:25 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Welcome back Hands!

Matt

I didn't know you were part of the cut shoulder brigade, but I'm happy to hear that there is hope for such a good recovery!

Matt TX and Matt MS?

2014-12-26 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back TX Matt, Judi and Melanie!

2014-12-26 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Welcome back Hands!

Matt

Matt TX and Matt MS?

Ha!  I'm fine with that designation, and welcome all new and returning members.  

Everybody got fun training going on this weekend?  It's going to rain all weekend here, so I have lots of trainer time ahead.

2014-12-27 4:34 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Welcome back Hands!

Matt

Matt TX and Matt MS?

Everybody got fun training going on this weekend?  It's going to rain all weekend here, so I have lots of trainer time ahead.

McManatee and Mississippee!

Super rainy season in full swing here in Indonesia (it can rain for days too) so I'll get out for little trots when I can. Otherwise maybe some arm rehab stuff, light yoga.

2014-12-27 2:13 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Welcome, Matt MS, and welcome back everybody else!

I tried aqua-jogging for the first time as a way to "run" without hurting my already hurty knee.  It worked great, although I felt like a dork wandering around the deep area of the pool.  Then I did a little 800 yd. swim.  And for the record, I've done *two* strength training sessions this week, have a 3rd scheduled for tomorrow and definitely plan to do it!!  I've decided that instead of being annoyed at the playful dog who thinks strength training = play time for her, I'm going to enjoy it and giggle my way through.  It definitely makes it less dreadful.  Plus if I can manage to do all my assigned strength training sessions for 4 weeks, I get a new, fancier (and better) foam roller.  My coach will be pleased that I'm doing what I'm supposed to do and I'll be proud of myself for not skipping.  I might even get some benefit and get stronger.  What a concept! 

2014-12-27 2:52 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Denver, CO

We're 5 days from the start of the Salty Manatee Month of Motivational Mayhem Challenge!!  Rules are as follows:

1. The challenge starts on 1/1/2015.
  2. The point of the challenge is to work on consistency and doing *some* kind of physical activity 7 days a week.  Doesn't have to be big, just *something*.
  3. Goals can be either 10 min./day or something specific like 30 min. stretching, or 5 run days/2 yoga days.  If you want a specific goal other than 10 min./day, please post it in the forum or send Mary a PM if you don't want it made public.
  4. I'll check logs on Thursday nights after 6 p.m. MST, with results posted on Fridays. The first report will be on 1/2/2015.
  5. Reporting will be number of days you met your goal during the week (e.g., 2/7, 5/7, 7/7).  Final report will be x/31.  Total time, total distance, or type(s) of activity won't be reported.  It' not a competition for who did how much of what or for how long.
  6. If you're injured, you can probably still do something for 10 min. unless you’re really injured. No credit if you don’t do some sort of athletic-related activity for 10 min., including stretching or PT.
  7. If you're sick, you’re sick. If you can manage your goal, great. If not, the day won't be counted in the final tally and you'll have x days out of 31 minus the day(s) you missed (e.g., 27 well days out of 29 well days).  We don't want anybody trying to work out when they're really sick.  Just note "sick" in your workout log.  "Not in the mood" doesn't count as sick.
  8. No banking allowed, i.e., if you do 2 workouts in 1 day, you can't count one of them on another day to take that day off.  Again, the point of the challenge is to do something every day.

I have the following people participating (some haven't joined this thread yet but have said they want to do the challenge so I'm including them):

• me
  • Chris
  • Melanie
  • TJ
  • Kirsten
  • Ann-Marie
  • Janyne
  • Stacey
  • Monica
  • Matt TX
  • Judy
  • Adrienne
  • Darren (maybe?)
  • Randee

Matt MS, do you want to join in too?  Adrienne, I either need access to your training log or you can PM me your results each week.

2014-12-27 3:07 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back Hands!

Matt

Matt TX and Matt MS?

Nice weather for today with a forecast for Ick on Sunday and Monday followed by cold.  boo!

2014-12-27 3:12 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by laffinrock

I tried aqua-jogging for the first time as a way to "run" without hurting my already hurty knee.  It worked great, although I felt like a dork wandering around the deep area of the pool.  Then I did a little 800 yd. swim.  And for the record, I've done *two* strength training sessions this week, have a 3rd scheduled for tomorrow and definitely plan to do it!!  I've decided that instead of being annoyed at the playful dog who thinks strength training = play time for her, I'm going to enjoy it and giggle my way through.  It definitely makes it less dreadful.  Plus if I can manage to do all my assigned strength training sessions for 4 weeks, I get a new, fancier (and better) foam roller.  My coach will be pleased that I'm doing what I'm supposed to do and I'll be proud of myself for not skipping.  I might even get some benefit and get stronger.  What a concept! 

Good work on the strength training?

When do you see the PT? I'll be interested to see what they have to say.

Yes, aqua jogging is pretty high on the (feeling like a) Dork Scale but it does seem to work in terms of maintaining run fitness.

2014-12-27 3:53 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by laffinrock

Good work on the strength training?

When do you see the PT? I'll be interested to see what they have to say.

Yes, aqua jogging is pretty high on the (feeling like a) Dork Scale but it does seem to work in terms of maintaining run fitness.

No PT appointment yet.  I just got the referral yesterday.  I'm going to call on Monday and see if the PT clinic got the referral and how soon I can get in.  I'll use the sports PT place where I did my rehabs after my hip surgeries.  I feel like a bit of a frequent flier, but I know the people there and it's fairly convenient to get to from work.  I'll keep you posted on what they say is the problem and what they recommend.  Hopefully we can get it straightened out in time for me to do my HM in March, even if I have to walk part of it.  If not, there's always next year.  In the meantime, I'll be dorking around the pool on a regular basis.

2014-12-27 5:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I'm back if you will have me.

NAME: Stacey

STORY: I'm 39 and live in Perth Western Australia. I played a lot of sport as a kid, including basketball, netball (those of you in the US might need to google that one), swimming and the odd triathlon. Wasn't particularly good at any of them but very active. Then did the usual, finished school started working full time, eventually got married and have stacked on a fair bit of weight especially in the last 10 years. I got into tris again about 4 years ago I think after my brother did the local IM and challenged me to do the HIM with him the following year. He got posted to Afghanistan so that didn't happen.

I only do sprints, as my training is very inconsistent. But this year I am aiming for an Oly.

FAMILY: married to Phil, for nearly 17 years and we have dogs lots and lots of dogs.

CURRENT TRAINING: hap hazard and inconsistent. I enjoy the planning stage of putting together a training plan and less so the actual training. I find lots of very poor excuses as to why I don't train. Resulting in either not doing races that I have entered or doing them badly. My major goal this year is to develop a consistent training habit.

2015 RACES: this is still a little in the planning stages at present but I have scheduled:
15/02/15 sprint tri
15/03/15 Oly tri
12/04/15 sprint tri
24/05/15 half marathon or 12k not sure on this yet
30/08/15 marathon
The stuff after the Oly will hinge on how consistently I manage to train when we have puppies.

BODY COMP: fat, I need to loose around 10kg I think, can't weigh myself because the batteries in my scales are flat.
2014-12-27 5:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Mary my goal for the Salty Manatee Month of Motivational Mayhem Challenge is 30 minutes of physical activity a day.

ETA - and Yanti's should be NO SWIMMING as per Doctors orders. Really disappointed to see that 5k open water swim listed in your races, happy that it's not the 20k Rotto swim but how does training for a 5k fit into the NO SWIMMING thing?

Edited by StaceyK 2014-12-27 5:47 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54296 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.