BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2015-03-03 10:27 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: Boston Triathlon Expo
Not sure how many people on this list are in the Boston area, but there is going to be a free triathlon expo on March 28th. Just thought I'd pass along the info.

http://tri-mania.com/boston/overview/

2015-03-03 4:47 PM
in reply to: #5075698

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed
Hi, I need some opinions on something. How much run volume do you think is good enough to do a half ironman? The reason I ask is that I planned to do one in April, but my run volume has been rather low. I think my longest run in the last 2 months was 8 miles or so. Ihad some calf pain issues a few weeks ago that caused me to back down on my ramp up of volume. my calf feels better now, but with only 5 weeks until race time.... not sure it is enough time to ramp up... what do you think?
2015-03-03 6:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by ecpasos Hi, I need some opinions on something. How much run volume do you think is good enough to do a half ironman? The reason I ask is that I planned to do one in April, but my run volume has been rather low. I think my longest run in the last 2 months was 8 miles or so. Ihad some calf pain issues a few weeks ago that caused me to back down on my ramp up of volume. my calf feels better now, but with only 5 weeks until race time.... not sure it is enough time to ramp up... what do you think?

My planned volume per week the six weeks before a 70.3 taper is around 3-5 hrs running, 3-4 days per week.  This may be more or less for you, idk.  You'll need to look at the last few months and determine where you are now then decide what you can do in six weeks before the race. IMHO, you don't have time to add much if anything at this point.  But, that also depends on what you want/expect to do on race day.  Go to crush your PR, probably not.  Go have fun, take it within your training, and enjoy the race, probably so.

YAY! I finally have some monthly totals to post. Started my ramp for a tri the last weekend in June. Hopefully it will be slow, steady, and healthy!  Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs, west Texas.  Hot, hot, hot!

Swim: 0.90 hrs

Bike: 4.82 hrs

Run: 4.48 hrs

Other sport: 3.75 hrs (NO, it's not shoveling snow!!)

Edit: I can't seem to spell buffalo!

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2015-03-03 6:09 PM
2015-03-03 7:55 PM
in reply to: ecpasos

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by ecpasos Hi, I need some opinions on something. How much run volume do you think is good enough to do a half ironman? The reason I ask is that I planned to do one in April, but my run volume has been rather low. I think my longest run in the last 2 months was 8 miles or so. Ihad some calf pain issues a few weeks ago that caused me to back down on my ramp up of volume. my calf feels better now, but with only 5 weeks until race time.... not sure it is enough time to ramp up... what do you think?

Enrique,

Looking at your run volume from the last 2 months, 20 and 33, there is no way to sugarcoat that those are really low for 70.3 training.  Those should probably be closer to weekly numbers than monthly.  I wouldn't try to ramp up quickly with only 5 weeks to go.  That is inviting injury and/or putting yourself in a fatigue deficit with not enough time to recover before race day.

I'm not saying don't do the race, but like Monty said, you may have to adjust your expectations.  Your run will most likely be difficult and you may end up having to walk a good bit.  That being said, with the right mindset and determination I'm sure you can finish it, just be realistic about where your training level is.  Pace yourself, run when you can and walk when you have to.  One foot in front of the other will get you to the finish line every time.  

2015-03-03 8:36 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Boston Triathlon Expo

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Not sure how many people on this list are in the Boston area, but there is going to be a free triathlon expo on March 28th. Just thought I'd pass along the info. http://tri-mania.com/boston/overview/

If it ever stops snowing!

Wish I was closer.

2015-03-04 12:25 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: RE: Running Shoes
Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Aren't Hoka's designed more for forefoot runners but looks big in the heel?  Which I am, btw.  I was reading some stuff about them a while back and it got my interest up.  I've had a couple of foot injuries due to a bone dropping down in my forefoot.  Another sign of TDO I'm afraid.  It's one of those injuries that when you notice it hurting it's too late, you're out!  So I'm taking more preventive measures now.  I've never been a maximalist shoe person but that might have to change in the future.

I'm not a shoe expert by any means, so I don't know. My Hoka Stinson Tarmacs are the first pair of running shoes I've purchased in 35 years. I went to REI and asked for shoes that provided good arch support since I have chronic plantar fasciitis, and these were the ones the sales guy recommended. The fact that they were clearance priced ("clearance" is my favorite word!) was a real bonus. I'm really skittish about shoes because, as you said, once you notice foot pain, the damage is already done, and plantar fasciitis can sideline a person for six months or longer.

I do know the Hoka Stinsons and the Hoka Bondis I just ordered both have a 6mm drop from heel to forefoot, and that 6mm is enough that if your foot is relatively level, the shoes' heels can scuff the ground or skim gravel, sending it flying, even while you're landing midfoot or forefoot. When I first started running a year ago, and even just last October, I had a lot of problems with ground clearance relating to the arthritis in my knee. I just couldn't get my left foot high enough to clear the ground and did a lot of shuffling and foot dragging as I ran. After a lot of strength training over the winter, I don't think I have that problem so much now; I think when it happens, the heel-toe drop in the shoes could be a big factor.

I will say that when I first bought my Stinson Tarmacs, they were so soft and cushiony, it was like walking on marshmallows. I loved it! I hope my new Bondis will be the same!

2015-03-04 1:29 AM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Running Shoes

Originally posted by burner2
Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Aren't Hoka's designed more for forefoot runners but looks big in the heel?  Which I am, btw.  I was reading some stuff about them a while back and it got my interest up.  I've had a couple of foot injuries due to a bone dropping down in my forefoot.  Another sign of TDO I'm afraid.  It's one of those injuries that when you notice it hurting it's too late, you're out!  So I'm taking more preventive measures now.  I've never been a maximalist shoe person but that might have to change in the future.

I'm not a shoe expert by any means, so I don't know. My Hoka Stinson Tarmacs are the first pair of running shoes I've purchased in 35 years. I went to REI and asked for shoes that provided good arch support since I have chronic plantar fasciitis, and these were the ones the sales guy recommended. The fact that they were clearance priced ("clearance" is my favorite word!) was a real bonus. I'm really skittish about shoes because, as you said, once you notice foot pain, the damage is already done, and plantar fasciitis can sideline a person for six months or longer. I do know the Hoka Stinsons and the Hoka Bondis I just ordered both have a 6mm drop from heel to forefoot, and that 6mm is enough that if your foot is relatively level, the shoes' heels can scuff the ground or skim gravel, sending it flying, even while you're landing midfoot or forefoot. When I first started running a year ago, and even just last October, I had a lot of problems with ground clearance relating to the arthritis in my knee. I just couldn't get my left foot high enough to clear the ground and did a lot of shuffling and foot dragging as I ran. After a lot of strength training over the winter, I don't think I have that problem so much now; I think when it happens, the heel-toe drop in the shoes could be a big factor. I will say that when I first bought my Stinson Tarmacs, they were so soft and cushiony, it was like walking on marshmallows. I loved it! I hope my new Bondis will be the same!

Thanks for the follow up!

2015-03-04 6:27 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Subject: RE: Boston Triathlon Expo
Originally posted by Dominion

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Not sure how many people on this list are in the Boston area, but there is going to be a free triathlon expo on March 28th. Just thought I'd pass along the info. http://tri-mania.com/boston/overview/

If it ever stops snowing!

Wish I was closer.

There was also one (same series) in Washington D.C. on March 21st. That's still pretty far from you, but I figured I'd mention it as an FYI for others on the list that might be closer to DC.
2015-03-06 9:04 AM

User image

Subject: Hydration gear
Just thinking ahead to my Oly tri this year in August. For my sprints in 2014, one 20 oz water bottle on my bike was enough and I didn't bother drinking water on the 5K run. But with the distances all doubling for the Olympic, I started to think that I should have more fluid available for consumption. I'd prefer not to stop or slow down at the aid stations, so I've been considering adding some gear to my repertoire.

For the bike, I have considered either just adding a 2nd water bottle cage with a 16-20 oz bottle. However, I have always disliked how awkward it feels to me to get the bottle in and out of the cage. I have been considering something like this Speedfil system (http://www.amazon.com/Speedfil-Standard-Aero-Bottle-40oz/dp/B004LY6AWS/ref=pd_ybh_1). I don't have a TT bike, just a road bike. But I feel like maybe this would still be more convenient that the traditional water bottle. Anyone have any opinions on this kind of system and if it would be workable on a road bike?

I have also been considering a hydration belt for the run. Something I could put a couple small bottles in as well as maybe 1 or 2 gel packs. I don't tend to drink a lot on the run, but this would at least give me the option if I felt I needed it. Also, most of my running has been of the 5K variety, so I don't tend to worry about hydrating on such a short run. Moving up to the 10K distance after a 28 mile bike makes me think I'm going to want some water. Anyone using a hydration belt? Any tips on features to consider?

It'll be a while before I can put any of this gear to use, but figuring it out now will allow me to look for possible sale/clearance items.

Can't believe there are 4 consecutive days next week with temps in the 40s! Woohoo! Heat wave! LOL
2015-03-06 12:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Hydration gear

The Shiv I have has the integrated internal bladder system which is actually pretty similar to the Speedfil.  I like the ease of use and that it's aerodynamic, but if my bike didn't have it, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't pay almost $100 for what is essentially a water bottle with a straw.  When I was racing on a road bike, I just added an extra cage and used 2 water bottles.  As for the run, there should be at least 2 aid stations on the route.  If it's an out and back that gives you 4 aid stations or 3 if one is at the turnaround.  Take advantage of those.  Like you, I never drink during a 5K but grab water at the stations on a 10K whether I feel thirsty or not.   I think the key is to carry enough water and hydrate enough on the bike, that just the aid stations on the run will get you through.  I just don't like the bulk or weight of lugging around a belt with water bottles attached to my waist while trying to run.  I usually try to get a gel down right before getting off the the bike as well, that way it should be kicking in on the run and no need to take another during.  Try to get as much hydrating and calories as you need on the bike.  Much easier than while running and should be able to carry you through that last hour.  Everybody's needs are different, but those are my thoughts.  

2015-03-06 4:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Got in a nice 20 mile bike/run brick this afternoon. Some snow still in shady areas but 50*F, blue sky, and no wind. 

We're headed out to the Guadalupe Mountain National Park for seven days of backpacking, hiking, and touring the McDonald Observatory. Everyone have a great weekend, train well!

2015-03-06 10:42 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Nice, My brother and I flew into Dallas several years back and drove across the state to climb Guadalupe Peak.  We camped just below the summit.  The morning we climbed the clouds were low and you couldn't even see the mountain, but once we got above them it was amazing.

(El Capitan.jpg)

(mexico.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
El Capitan.jpg (31KB - 3 downloads)
mexico.jpg (26KB - 2 downloads)
2015-03-07 12:17 PM

User image

Subject: My new PR
Didn't see that coming! My first race of the season this morning and I set a new PR for a 5K. I'm running the "Tour de Patrick", which is a 3-race series of 5Ks in Pawtucket, RI, Worcester, MA, and Providence, RI. Today was the Irish 5K in Pawtucket. Race time temperature was 31 with some wind, but it was otherwise a beautiful sunny day. Many people had said that you tend to run slower in the cold, so I had to temper my expectations. Plus, my best treadmill time at the 5K distance in my recent training had been 25 seconds slower than my PR. So how could I possibly think a PR was in sight?

Well, somehow (perhaps divine intervention?) I turned in a gutsy performance and crushed my previous PR by 0:22! My official time was 25:01 (http://runrhody.com/resultsTCDisplay2.php?res=591). My Nike+ watch said 24:59, so I was super excited thinking I had broken the 25 minute barrier (a big deal for me!). But I was disappointed to see that I missed it by 2 seconds. Argh! But I kid, there isn't any part of me that is disappointed in that run. I had to really dig down for some mental toughness through parts of the race to tell myself to keep my pace up and not slow down. The end result was worth it!

Now, I've just got to take care of myself for the next 20 or so hours because race #2 is tomorrow morning! I think I might have to be happy with 26:30 because I know my legs are going to be screaming! LOL
2015-03-07 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: My new PR

Nice job! And Good Luck tomorrow!!

2015-03-08 12:36 PM

User image

Followed up yesterday's run with a 25:52 this morning. Pretty happy with that considering my race yesterday. I broke my ankle back in 2008 and that ankle typically bothers me after a hard effort. I was feeling the pain this morning, but I got it warmed up enough that it didn't bother me during the race until about a half mile left. Still, I don't think it was enough to have affected my time at all. It really just had to do with running on tired legs. But I will not complain at all about 25:52. I ran a pretty consistent race and feel like I put in a strong effort. To be honest, that time was a little better than I thought I would do. The third leg of the Tour de Patrick is in 2 weeks in Providence, so I've got time to rest up and heal.
2015-03-08 12:55 PM

User image

So I'm shopping for my first wetsuit....I think I found a good one only it seems to be baggy in the armpits....also they are all pretty tight around the neck but according to the info I've found that seems normal...any advice?
Thank! Also I like to run in kinvaras and the saucony a5.,,I got some newtons on sale but not real sure about them....

Feb totals
Swim 7200
Bike. 150.59
Run 33.39

2015-03-09 1:02 AM
in reply to: doreb

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Thanks for the feedback about my question... regarding doing a HIM on low run volume. I thought about it over the last few days and decided not to do it and focus on my second planned HIM in September. I'll have well over 20 weeks to work on my run volume. I'd rather do that than slog through 13 miles of the Napa Valley HIM in April. I'm good with that decision. There are a bunch of shorter distance tri's and single event races over the next couple of months that I can target. Appreciate your feedback.
2015-03-09 9:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Followed up yesterday's run with a 25:52 this morning. Pretty happy with that considering my race yesterday. I broke my ankle back in 2008 and that ankle typically bothers me after a hard effort. I was feeling the pain this morning, but I got it warmed up enough that it didn't bother me during the race until about a half mile left. Still, I don't think it was enough to have affected my time at all. It really just had to do with running on tired legs. But I will not complain at all about 25:52. I ran a pretty consistent race and feel like I put in a strong effort. To be honest, that time was a little better than I thought I would do. The third leg of the Tour de Patrick is in 2 weeks in Providence, so I've got time to rest up and heal.

Two good runs back to back. Be proud of that!

2015-03-09 9:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by doreb So I'm shopping for my first wetsuit....I think I found a good one only it seems to be baggy in the armpits....also they are all pretty tight around the neck but according to the info I've found that seems normal...any advice? Thank! Also I like to run in kinvaras and the saucony a5.,,I got some newtons on sale but not real sure about them.... Feb totals Swim 7200 Bike. 150.59 Run 33.39

A wetsuit shouldn't be baggy anywhere.  Tight around the neck is normal.  Make sure it isn't choking tight, but it needs to be very snug to keep the water out.  I would try a smaller size, different cut, or another brand if nothing else just to compare fit.

Also may want to look at sleeveless if you just can't get the right fit in the underarm.

Edited by Dominion 2015-03-09 9:47 PM
2015-03-10 11:46 AM

User image

Randy what was your race plan for you PR? Steady? Negative?
2015-03-10 12:49 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Subject: RE: February Totals
Run: 21.65 miles
Bike: 0
Swim: ~2000 yds

Feb was a bit of a disaster for me. I was ill for over half of it and so only managed to get in five runs all month. Slowly getting back into things - I had a small 5k on Sunday which I'm pretty happy with (27m44 - not great but nearly 2 mins faster than the last one I did). I've got my first half marathon coming up in just under 3 weeks time though and am hoping I'll be OK. I don't really have the time to do the training I was hoping to but that's life. The weather is getting better though so I'm hopeful that March will be a better month and may even make it outside on the bike in the not too distant future.

Brendan

2015-03-10 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

I'm officially declaring "Trainer Season" over!  First outdoor ride today, a beautiful 77 degrees and sunshine,  Only had time to get in 14 miles before picking the kids up from school, but it felt amazing to be back out on the road!

2015-03-10 8:38 PM

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Randy what was your race plan for you PR? Steady? Negative?

The plan is always to negative split! LOL In this case, the course basically dictated a negative split. I timed the race with two watches. I have my trusty old Nike+ watch that I've used for many years. It uses a foot pod, but is pretty accurate. I have my brand new Garmin GPS watch, the fenix 2. I'm just getting used to it, so I wasn't ready to give up my Nike+ until I felt comfortable with the Garmin.

Mile 1: 0.25 mile slight downhill, 0.2 mile moderately steep uphill, 0.30 mile gradual uphill, 0.25 mile gradual downhill. Almost no flat spots at all. My plan was to push on the downhills and keep my effort level consistent on the uphills without regard for pace. I probably pushed a little harder than I wanted at this point. Garmin said 8:09, Nike+ watch said 7:58.

Mile 2: 0.25 mile gradual uphill, 0.75 mile relatively flat. My plan was to bear down and keep up a strong pace, but making sure to leave enough in the tank to make a strong push at the end. Based on splits, I failed slightly on this goal. Garmin said 8:13, Nike+ said 7:58.

Mile 3: 0.45 mile gradual uphill (no breaks!), 0.2 gradual downhill, 0.2 moderately steep downhill, 0.15 slightly uphill. I decided to push my pace as much as possible for the entire mile, even on the uphill stretch. I wanted that negative split! On the downhills, I went about as strong as I felt I could without falling. LOL Garmin said 7:55, Nike+ said 8:05.

I knew once I turned the last corner I was less than 0.2 from the end, so I just went into all out sprint (for me) mode. I ran as fast as I could for as long as I could. I slowed a little maybe 30 yards from the finish line because I felt like I was going to pass out. Seeing that I missed going under 25:00 by 2 seconds, I wish I had pushed it. If I passed out, hopefully it would have been after crossing the finish line! Bahahaha! Oh, well, there are plenty of races left this year, I feel confident I'll get under 25 this year.

Edited by rjchilds8 2015-03-11 7:14 AM
2015-03-11 5:24 PM

User image

Now that's a race report!
2015-03-11 8:44 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Ha, ha! Sorry, I know I'm long-winded. I spend a fair amount of time looking over each course in detail. I think that's probably pretty obvious by now.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  

of 36

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28957 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?